Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,889 | Hads: 9,863
2.9/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.75

220z poured into glass gives a large coffee-cream colored head that was an interesting mix of creamy yet still bubbly. The color is a deep mahogany with hints of red and gold. The head recedes slowly to a thin film on top with heavy lacing. The aroma consists of toasted malt, piney hops, caramel, and toffee.

Taste starts with toasted malts, then a hint of floral hops along with a big hit of resinous hops. Finishes with more malt along with toffee and caramel. Has a bit of an unwanted medcinally bitter aftertaste, kind of like if you let a tylenol disolve on your tongue. Flavor was great until this after taste. Mouthfeel is creamy, medium/heavy body and low carbonation.

Very interesting beer, would be great without the aftertaste. (743 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -29.9%

Bottle dated 10/13/14 at 45 degrees into snifter
Aroma of resinous hops
Head average (3.5 cm, aggressive pour), light brown, frothy, slowly diminishing to 3 mm ring and layer
Lacing poor – few islands of tiny to small bubbles
Body deep amber, clear
Flavor begins with hop bitterness and ends with a short hang-time bitterness; no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate full, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 3, Aroma 3, Flavor 2.75, Palate 3.25, Overall 3 (461 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -29.4%

I had heard about this beer from a friend and decided to try it. I heard it was bitter and it lives up to the hype. I thought after a couple of swigs I would get used to the bitterness but I didnt. I will try this beer again when my sophistication changes heh heh. (264 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a deep brownish copper color with a bit of sediment and A half finger of dense of white almost tanish head Very good retention.

S: Rich malt, toffee, pine and citrus

T: Malty at the beginning a little caramel, some dark fruit in there aswell. Moderate bitterness that coates the sides of the tounge that lingers for a couple of seconds.

M: Medium body, smooth, with medium but slight sharp carbonation.

O: Good beer. Not the best stone beer but a good runner up.

Serving type: bottle (499 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -29.2%

This ale is not worthy to reach my stomach. Actually I drank the whole pint poured on tap. It is unremarkable given verbiage on the label. Looked like muddy water. Had nice aroma but not as good as any Stone IPA. Aftertaste was poorly balanced bitterness and sweetness (can't put my finger on it). Lagunitas Brown Shugga is far superior. What a surprise, Stone brews are usually great. (385 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -29.2%

I find this beer to unbalanced and unimpressive. I looks good enough, other than that, isn't all that great. I have no problem with agressive hops...in fact, double bastard is one of my favorites because it is more balanced. However, the lack of sweetness to balance the strong hop profile of Arrogant Bastard leads to a very undrinkable beer. (343 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -28.7%

Appearance: Looked amazing, could tell it had some carbonation with the foam on top when the bottle wasn't even opened yet. Color was a nice amber.

Smell: Slight Malty smell and a little sweetness of fruit

Taste: Just a bitter taste to me. But it was bearable and wasn't too much that it became disgusting.

Mouthfeel: foamy and carbonated.

Overall: This wasn't a bad beer, but for the amount of bitterness that came with it you would expect a little more ABV to go with it. I would drink it again, just not that often.

I see now why they call it Arrogant Bastard and why most of us won't "enjoy" this beer. Its because its nothing special, its an okay beer, nothing more. (680 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -28.5%

This is the definition I got for arrogant. 1 : exaggerating or disposed to exaggerate one's own worth or importance often by an overbearing manner. This beer seems to be far from the truth...ha.

A: Great burnt nut brown color. Nice head and lacing, looks very pretty, but maybe arrogant if I was being arrogant.

S: Nothing really, maybe some funky yeasty notes, some malt, a pinch of hops possibly. Overall, fairly un-aromatic.

T: Same as the smell. Nothing to it besides maybe some hop bitterness. I was really trying hard on the after taste to pick out some fruitiness but that might as well have been useless imagination. Some malt sweetness may seep through but really nothing going on here. Just some bitterness which really isnt all that bitter based on some bitter funky ales Ive had.

M: Quite smooth to say the least due to lack of flavor. I was actually put off by this due to the description on the bottle backing micro breweries and disgracing commercial brews with FLAVOR and UNIQUENESS as key players in this beer. None of which I found because uniqueness to me isnt a waste of water.

D: Okay I guess. Bought a 1 PT bottle. Couldnt finish it. So I guess it was pretty heartbreaking, glad it was only 5 bucks out of the budget.

Overall: If you are looking for flavor, intricateness, beauty, statements of faith for micro brews, this is not your beer. If you are hoping you'll look like an asshole buying this in the grocery line this might be for you. Dont waste your time or money and buy something else. And by all means, dont read the disclaimer on this, its definitely some of the best reverse psychology I have ever been a part of. (1,654 characters)

I guess I'm "not worthy" of this beer, as the bottle states. It had a lot going for it, a distinctive citrus note at the front and an assertive hops finish. For some reason, however, this beer did not win me over. Maybe I was just intimidated. (246 characters)

Amber colored ale with a three inch head that has good staying power.Aroma is pine.Taste is hops,sugar and pine.Another beer that is way overhyped on this site.This ale is not terrible but it is not something that I would purchase again.Give me a Budweiser over this any day!! (276 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -28%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

It pours a medium clear amber with a light tan head. There are about 2 fingers of head that have great retention and lacing. The head is chunky and pillowy clouds.

The aroma is very strong with hops and mixture of spice dominating.

The flavor is just hoppy to me, nothing complex to wrap your palate around. The beer itself is very strong and bitter and almost burns your lips as you drink it.

The mouthfeel is heavy but the beer is not very drinkable. (502 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -27.5%

picked this up at my local bottle shop after all of the beer friends at the latest event said it was a must try i had to go out and snatch one of these so grabbed a bomber of it

poured decent real clear had an ok head on it, dark red in color

the aroma was a bit off it had a weird shoe leather thing going on what is up with that? maybe it was a bit old but i did not get much hops at all but i definitely could smell some alochol in there

taste was not that good i had high hopes for this beer but got let down so strange i really liked the levitation beer but this one had no balance too much alcohol in it and no real balance

mouthfeel was ok but you were burned in the end, just an average beer with an above average price

i would like to try more stone beers but for me this beer was just overhyped or at least not what it was made out to be i will go have a levitation beer instead (894 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -27.5%

While American IPA and double IPA's are not my favorite style, Arrogant Bastard deserves renown for its chutzpah. You would say "you are not worthy" and expect the customer to drink it?

The beer is dark brown with a medium sized mostly lasting fizzy off white head, with a strong citrusy lemon lime hops aroma with some light piney perfumey hops as well, with light sweet caramel tones. Pineapple candy overall.

Taste was upfront strong grapefruit and moderate pine, with light nutty maltiness, followed by a dark breaded maltiness, somewhat bittersweet, followed by a second front of hops, this time harshly grapefruit in nature, followed by an herbal, tea-like bitter hops, licorice, and the same sweet gelatineous lingering finish. Mouthfeel was medium-bodied, slightly creamy, fizzy and moderately astringent.

Overall, the nose is spellbinding, the appearance good. The balance of hops to malt seems such to enliven the hops, but to not let it get overly out of character. Perfect in that sense. The finish is rich with flavors, but I would have liked to see a bit more complexity on the foretaste though. Excellent overall. (1,138 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -27.5%

Nothing special about this beer maybe after hearing so much about this beer over the years I was just expecting more flavor and hops wise was OK nothing special and not overwhelming in any way shape or form maybe I expected too much from something labeled a strong ale this strong ale needs a 2.0 IMHO (301 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -27.5%

This brutal little number poured out with a very nice looking colour that was crimson to purple. It formed a substantial creamy head of tan that held nicely and left gobs of lacing as the drink was drunk.

The nose is nicely arranged with fresh floral hoppiness. It is somewhat grassy and herbal, but mostly citrus bloom. The malt character underneath smells potent and mixes with a biting alcohol scent to throw some roughness on the pile. Crusty. Stinging. Astringent. But a lovely bloom of hoppiness.

The taste is not all that special. I think it is a bit abrasive for my tastes. I have no problem with the decent amount of hop character displayed here. In fact, that is the saving grace for this brew. It has a crusty and biting side to it that is not all that appealing to me. I guess I am not worthy, but this is just not my style. It just feels dirty and brutal save for the hops. This feels more assaultive than many huge brews that I've had. Astringent.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a nice body to it. It is just wasted on a sort of wild charactered brew. Coats the mouth nicely and the head throws off some creaminess.

The drinkability is average. I see no reason to drink this when there are beers that are much less offensive that have a true style to them. By far the worst Stone beer that gets the most press and praise. The strong ale catch all is just not a solid situation. I prefer structure. This is a bit messy for me. If this thing were about 14% abv, I think I would be more appreciative of it because I could forgive some of the harsh abrasiveness. As it stands it tastes like a monster only it is not really that strong considering. This beer has a great name. I wish it deserved to be so arrogant though. I think some people have been punked out by the smack talk on the bottle. Nice Jedi mind tricks. Stone's other products are much more deserving of the praise. They make some truly stellar beers. That being said, I am not feeling this one and I will not pretend to be. (2,007 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -27.5%

Had this a few times and I really can't get into this beer. I have had it out of the bottle aged a little and it was too malty. I have had it fresh on tap and it was just a whole mess of things going on.

Pours a beige head. Color is an amber.

Aroma: Lots of malts and hops. Caramel and chocolate with floral and grassy hops. Citrus fruits blend in.

Taste: Pretty much the same as the nose. A mix of malts and hops all blended together. Not really my thing. I like the hop profile, but the malts take away from it too much.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and bitter. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends sticky.

Overall, as I said early this beer just isn't my thing. Go hops or go malts here. The mix isn't my style for this beer. (741 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

An A? I remember having it on tap and liking it more. The second time around it seemed there wasn't much to it. I can't say I remember it all too well but that says something since it was less than a month ago that I had it last. I remember a slight hint of fruit that wasn't strong enough to really do much for the beers otherwise bland taste. (344 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -26.8%

Clear Reddish amber pour with a robust healthy head and lacing.
Sugary floral and caramel on the nose, i can really smell the malt sweetness. hops arn't really strong, but the best Before date is still a month away.
Flavor is strong and dominant in a balanced sort of way, there is some cascade style hops, caramel malts, strong candied dark fruits that come off bittersweet, and cotton candy.
Mouth feel is sticky chewy medium body that lingers and coats
with a medium carb.

This is an average beer for me, nothing huge stands out and makes it super desireable. I've consumed 3 bottles now, that will probally be it.

Chad (626 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -26.3%

Deep copper body with a thin light brown head, dark and taunting. Aroma contains a truckload of bold hops, one of those beers that smell thick, probably due to abundant crystal malt? Light citrus character and a suggestion at leather. Taste is very crystal malty with a weird hop profile leading to a untypical dry finish (chalky, dusty, ashes and slightly smokey). Very bitter aftertaste. Body is typical Stone, very full, thick, almost syrupy. Not my favorite Stone, but I gotta recognize the attitude. (504 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -26.3%

Hazelnut to auburn colored brew with a sand colored head. Bawdy lace and retention. Bonus points for surly gargoyle bottle art.

Caramel, citrus and brownie batter aroma. Tastes like it smells. More messy than complex IMO but I tend to favor focused beers.

Not my favorite but an American classic just like SNPA, the Chevy Camaro, Aerosmith, and Chuck Norris. (361 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -26.1%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours a dark ruby red with a tan two finger head. Left a massive amount of lacing everywhere. Smells of very dark grains, roasted malt and burtn toast. The up front is a large amount of burnt bread along with burnt malt. Another drink adds a whiskey like charcoal hit into the mix, along with a large smoky flavor. The mouthfeel makes this beer seem just like a scotch ale. Keeps all of the mentioned flavors but adds a MASSIVE punch of smokeyness to the finish. Overall, this is a big, flavorful beer, and as the lable states, it is not for snivling yellow beer drinking wimps. Though it didn't appeal to my particular taste (665 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -25.8%

I tried this beer during a beer tasting session in the Mug (a pub in Middelburg, The Netherlands).

A - A nice clear red fluid with a white/pink head. No visible carbonation.

S - Fruity and flowery hops, a light malt scent and sweet.

T - Extreme hoppy, to much for my liking. Light sweet upfront and (surprisingly) not to bitter in the finish.

M - Light to medium carbonation

O - A good beer, but to hoppy to my taste. It causes a lingering aftertaste. (456 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -25.8%

The music venue I work at has this on tap all the time so Ive had my fair share in order to review appropriately.

Stone brewers may be alot of things but liars they are not. It says on the bottle "You probably wont like this" and for the most part there right. Everyone I know hates this beer but I beg to differ. Despite its slightly acrid overtones and overbearing amount of hops I find it has a specific character and mood to it and as a beer serves its overall purpose.

The color is slightly reddish and it pours a lighter head that sticks around surprisingly long. The beer is often chilled a little too much where I get it but at the right temperature (maybe out of a bottle) the tastes ring true and if you can get past the aftertaste its really not as terrible as one might think. (790 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -25.8%

Had on tap at the Office in Morristown NJ in a 16oz pint glass.

Appearance: Nice amber brown colored ale. Yielded a strong 2 to 3 finger head that dissapated very slowly. Nice lacing, the glass was covered by the end of the session.

Smell: Smelled a little funky, but in a good way. Strong hops and malts came through, a little bit of alcohol as well. Some fruitiness, but overall not very explosive or memorable.

Taste: This was memorable. It tasted like an IPA from a mediocre brew pub that had been filtered through a sock. Very funky, almost feet like taste covered my palate. Alcohol flavors take over the beers other flavors only hindered slightly by the essence of feet.

Mouthfeel: A little bit too carbonated, but overall not bad viscosity. Would have expected a slightly thicker feeling ale from its strong aromas and taste.

Drinkability: I can see where a lot of people would like this beer. Myself however, cannot get over the overwhelming taste of socks. It had some high points aswell, like its full bodied flavor with complexities if you look for them. Overall, i think its an acquired taste as many beers are, but its definately a beer you should try if you see it on tap just based on its uniqueness. (1,222 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 1.5

A-Deep dark red color almost purple looking. A fat fine beady head. Great retention. One of the best.

S-Smells awesome. Fresh hop aroma gives away to burnt brown sugar molasses type scent. Just wish it was stronger.

T-A big hop flavor. But it tastes too similar to there regular I.P.A. Lots of burnt sugar flavors, wasnt expecting the hop overload. Hops dominate and dont really go to well with the burnt flavors in my book. Kind of leaves me dry mouthed and unhappy especially with all the esteem surrounding this beer and there arrogant bastard attitude.

M.F. Great M.F. Very full carbonation sustains throughout the session. Full and meaty. Liquid bread.

D-Wont do it again. Cant stand the headache hops. (711 characters)

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.