Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
1.54/5  rDev -63%

So they said on the label that I probably would not like that beer, and man were they right. Poured from the bottle into a glass. Here's what I got out of it before the drain pour.

A- looks a reddish copper color, decent head, not bad

S- Smells like the same piney crap that is all the rage; smells like the reason I avoid IPAs

T--A lot going on. Pine up front, decent in the middle and a crappy grapefruit after taste that makes me want to stop and brush my teeth rather than take another sip

M- Taste so bad, I couldn't focus on mouthfeel

O- Interesting bottle, it worked well enough to get me to buy it. Product sucked.

1.56/5  rDev -62.5%

The label said that I probably wouldn't like this beer and it was 100% accurate. What an alpha acid bomb! I think I actually lost my taste buds for a few hours after forcing the entire 22oz helping down my throat. I could not detect any hint of malt, but that could be because it was a bit overcarbonated and of course because of the hops.

I don't mind hoppy or strong beers. However, this was way too bitter. Maybe they should have shifted that huge hop addition a bit later into the boil so as to give a bit more flavor and less bitterness.

I'm no wimp. I like spicy foods and hoppy beers, but Arrogant Bastard is definately not for me.

1.76/5  rDev -57.7%

Arrogant? yes Tasty? Not so much.
The taste of this ale is citrusy, not a sweet citrus, but a bitter citrus, thanks to the abundant taste of hops. The first half of the bottle was pretty hard to get down, and I am puzzled by the great reviews of this brew. Near the end of the bottle, I guess I have acclimated a bit to the bitterness presence of hops, giving leaving me with a non-sweet citrus only taste. Kind of reminds me of grapefruit. I really haven't minded the presence of hop flavor in beer, but lately I've had a few that seemed to hopped without any balance, leaving me with a bitter taste in my mouth for a half hour after drinking them.... this is one of those.

1.8/5  rDev -56.7%

I didn't like the smell or the taste. It smelled very pine-hoppy and tasted likewise. This is the second time that I have tried Arrogant Bastard from the bottle. The first was prior to learning about beer styles and their characteristics so I figured that I should try it again. Maybe it is better from the tap if it is sold that way.

1.81/5  rDev -56.5%

NOTE: I am very, very biased against this kind of beer. you have been warned

appearance: looks good, 4/5

smell: overwhelming hops flow from this one, pleasant I suppose, but its just a mild warning for whats coming in the taste. 3/5

taste: Remarkably un-balanced despite its stronger alcohol content. overwhelming hoppyness. so overwhelming that it becomes remarkably hard to drink

I have to choke this one down, and its almost as hard for me to drink as a ruined batch of beer, hobo wine, and malt liqour, so I will rate it as such
1/5
(if you are not me and LIKE that kind of burn, then I suppose give it a 5/5 for taste)

mouthfeel: I cant tell. the hops stung too much to notice
Average I suppose

Overall: I hate this beer. I really really do.

I know that it wasn't made for me. it was made for hopheads
but I am not a hophead
I give this one a 1/5

if you love hops, I suppose its worth a 4/5
however, if you want balance to your beer and greater character from the malt, look elsewhere.

1.85/5  rDev -55.5%

Had 3 other persons at my table. No one would dare try a second taste of the overly hoppy bitter beer.
I'm not a huge fan of hops , So it was all I could do to hold my nose and choke down this beer I paid $7 dollars for. But if you are a fan of bitter tasting hop flavored beers give this a go. This just happens to be on the opposite spectrum of my liking.

1.98/5  rDev -52.4%

Taste like asprin... effin hate it so much.. yuck! I had that taste on the tip of my tounge that was numbing. I thought it would be awesome without that nasty taste. Its however smooth.. If they change that taste I would engage another drink. Its not horrible but maybe you should buy 1 22oz. and try it out... who knows you might like it. It also was like 4 dollars at a store in Portland oregon.

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.