2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,470 | Reviews: 2,739 | Show All Ratings:
OatherS

Kansas

3.15/5  rDev -24.6%

Big 1pt6oz bottle with no label but a devil drinking a beer printed on the bottle.

A: Not much head, nice dark amber color.

S: Hops very present.

T: Hoppy and sneeze inducing flavor. Bitter as well. Very strong flavor.

M: Fine.

D: I can understand why that this is a highly ranked beer, but I personally do not think highly of this beer.

07-08-2005 02:40:17 | More by OatherS
NJpadreFan

Stone- Arrogant Bastard Ale

On tap at Isaac Newton's- Newtown, PA

Appearance- dark mahogany brown with a small thick tan head. Heavy lacing through half the pint.
Smell- lots of roasted hops slight pine.
Taste- toasted/ roasted hops- very strong, slight floral/ pine hop taste. Thick maltiness as well.
Mouthfeel- thick, oily, slight alcohol presence, a pleasent aftertaste but a little rough at first.

Overall- my 2nd time having the Arrogant bastard and it was better this time around. Still a little tough on my taste buds. My 2 hardcore craft beer drinking years aren't enough yet to really appriciate this beer, or I simply just don't think its all that!?!
I was expecting strong floral/ citrus hops (which I now love) and didn't quite get it. Worth a pint but not a 6er or case.

12-03-2005 16:06:12 | More by NJpadreFan
charlzm

3.15/5  rDev -24.6%

Consumed 07/02/08 at some place I can't remember the name of in Pasadena, CA.

Pours a dark copper/brown. Good carbonation leads to a nice white head with some lacing.

Aroma is not as strong as I remembered; almost nothing there but a subtle hint of citrus hops.

Flavor is equally subdued, with a dark malt character that submerges below a raw, green hop flavor. Bitterness comes on after, but all these flavors are more muted than I remember.

Maybe this was an old keg. And it was served pretty darned cold.

07-04-2008 01:09:03 | More by charlzm
BierReise

3.18/5  rDev -23.9%

Poured a beautiful dark amber color with a nice fluffy orangy-beige head. Piney, citrusy hoppy fragrance smells great. Very velvety feel, very smooth on the palate and tasting very bitter with almost an ESB type of bitterness to it that lingers for quite awhile. In fact it doesn't want to let go. Real nice malt but obviously overpowered by bitterness. Name suits it well, arrogantly bitter. Bitter Bitter Bitter!

05-03-2003 21:25:22 | More by BierReise
Bierschenker

3.18/5  rDev -23.9%

Thanks to Mzwolinski for flying it over!
It pours in a nice dark red ale with a thick creamy head. The head has some brownness.
I poured it in an octagonal Hoegaarden glass.
I was surprised by the smell, I really think it resembles rebarber pie. A sweet sugary vegetable odour.
The taste is (luckily) less overpowering than the Stone IPA. It does have some similar elements. The taste of the used hops for example. It has a very strong dry caramel malt experience. No trace at all of yeast, spices or fruits. Just the peculiar vegetal flavour.
The aftertaste keeps a very strong hop bitterness and malt taste. That is preceded by a striking vegetable juice tone.
Very full bodied beer, new experience for me, but nothing special.

Ut Vivat, Crescat, Floreat!

06-23-2005 20:16:57 | More by Bierschenker
ttu94

3.18/5  rDev -23.9%

Comes out of the bottle a dark hazy brown. Has a very good malt colored head with average retention. Smell is hoppy and malty at the same time. The first thing I taste is lots of malt followed by lots of hop. A very hop bitter beer. I think it needs something else. I like Stone IPA much better. (Why does only California know that cadmium can cause birth defects).

05-27-2007 00:51:05 | More by ttu94
BeerBelcher

3.18/5  rDev -23.9%

I can't believe I haven't rated this beer (until now)! I've put down quite a few bitter and high-ABV beers in my time on earth (and hope to have many more in my remaining time!), yet I still find this beer a bit difficult to drink. It is a substantial beer, and while I like the strong hop bitterness, there is a robust maltiness that when combined with the hoppiness feels like a punch in the mouth to me. I might have enjoyed it more if I had not been having it with food, and if it were my first beer of the evening rather than my 3rd and final one. Appearance is surprisingly red and head is sturdy. Aroma is serious hoppiness (with some nice fruity under-tones) and a substantial maltiness that comes across as to me as metallic, caramel-y, and bitter in a non-hoppy way.

I had this on-tap at the Houston Flying Saucer Draught House and Emporium.

05-01-2008 12:22:45 | More by BeerBelcher
ktrillionaire

3.18/5  rDev -23.9%

A - Reddish mahogany hue, off-white head, huge blanketing lacing.

S - There is an unwelcome aroma in the nose, I didn't write it down when I could specifically identify it, so as of now it is just a generally unwelcome aroma taking down the overall dynamic.

T - The taste is simply malt and hop, and quite unspectacular. The hop is nice on the outro, and that about sums up the highlights of the taste for me.

M - Big feel, viscous, well-carbonated.

D - Like a average Sierra Nevada product. Yes, a average. I didn't learn me not no nothing in school. That didn't stop me from preparing for the BA misspelling bee, with my eyes on the prize.

05-07-2010 07:31:56 | More by ktrillionaire
9InchNails

3.18/5  rDev -23.9%

Arrogant Bastard on tap at the Gaslight Brewery and Restaurant in South Orange, NJ

Reddish amber in color. A nice, more on the white side of khaki color head. Looks quite creamy as the head settles. A noticable amount of lacing on the glass.

Not really impressed with the smell maybe a slight metalic aroma and hoppy.

Smooth and creamy. Carbonation isn't over the top. Leaves the mouth dry.

This is quite bitter. The hops are very noticable, smacks you right in the face! I think they're some subtle dry fruits... maybe grapes? Very piney. A slight boozy taste, there's a pretty high alcohol content to not notice the taste.

Quite heavy for an ale after it sits. Maybe one or two of these, that's it!

I've had this in a bottle before but it's a whole new experience and a lot better on tap. Less of the metalic flavoring and smell when it is on tap, so it's more enjoyable.

11-17-2010 04:39:46 | More by 9InchNails
saskguy

Saskatchewan (Canada)

3.2/5  rDev -23.4%

(march 2005, just wanted to say I saw bottle of this being sold at the Fogg & Suds in Kamloops for $50 each!!!! It is a bit of a gimmick by them, but they actually sell a few each month!!! They get to keep the bottlel)

I wanted to like this beer, but it did not do it for me.

The head was good and it had a rich dark colour. There was a moderate malt aroma.

Had a moderate mouth feel.

I can not quite place the malt flavour and I am not sure of the hopping. I could not tell if it wanted to be a stong ale or an IPA or a Belgium....

12-04-2003 21:13:57 | More by saskguy
Cresant

Kentucky

3.2/5  rDev -23.4%

Pour from a 22 oz. bomber into a Stone IPA glass. Leather brown body and a tan three fingers head. Body looked like whisky--clear and refraction-y.

Sweet malt and alcohol aroma. ETOH candy.

Tasted of sweet dried fruit invaded by hop bitters. Licorice-like. Alcohol flavor increased as it warmed.

Medium bodied texture.

Complex yet not difficult to drink or enjoy. A little too sweet for me.

07-05-2006 21:34:57 | More by Cresant
HeroJH

Colorado

3.2/5  rDev -23.4%

I like the smell much more than the taste of this one. I see that Stone is going for Arrogant bitterness on this one, and that's fine to me. Personally, I like a little more complexity. I can see liking this beer, and I'd order it on tap depending on what else I saw but I don't think I'd buy it to take home. Though maybe I'd try it again because I seem to remember it having more flavor the other times I've tried it... hmm. It has a threat on the bottle that says if you don't like it, this beer wasn't made for you. Which is neat. But I feel that more people would grade this higher just to fit in. Taking an honest look at that flavor this beer shouldn't get an A in the taste category, especially when comparing it to others that have full complex amazing flavor.

A - Copper Red, hazy at first when it was too cold and then cleared up. Tan head, good foam, lacing and retention. I like it.

S - Really nice, seems to be a few things going on there. Nuts, peanut brittle!, dark caramel. Nice hops throughout.

T - Here's where it went downhill for me. I wish that it tasted as good as it smelled and looked. It's so bitter that if I didn't let it warm it up and really concentrated I wasn't getting anything else. But there is at the end some toastyness, a hint of oaky. And I supposed the bitterness could contain some pineapple acidity. But overall, the complexity is nothing near the smell, which is usual, but there was a big difference to me on this one. It was mostly just bitter without even hop flavor.

M - just bitter.

D - too bitter without anything else to keep my interest. Trust me I like bitter, but I like a little more fullness in the hop profile if it's going to try to blow me away.

02-02-2009 17:19:51 | More by HeroJH
N3rdM3t4l

Oregon

3.2/5  rDev -23.4%

A: Dark red and kinda clear with huge 3finger rocky off white head that faded to one finger with great lacing. Looks delicious.

S: A touch fruity with lots of toasty malts. Slightly hoppy, not the most fragrant beer.

T: Bitter from start to finish but not in a bad way. Dark malt and hops is about all I can taste on this one. Not sure if the fruityness is just on the nose or if the bitterness is overpowering it. Good stuff but not something I would keep as a standby. leaves a long strong bitter on the tongue like a NWIPA (Total Domination by Ninkasi comes to mind since I am from Eugene)

M: Medium body with good carbonation, goes down easy.

O: Good beer, when I want something that is pretty bitter I will go to this one for sure. Beautiful looking beer that dark red is sexy.

03-13-2012 01:04:18 | More by N3rdM3t4l
doppelmeup

3.23/5  rDev -22.7%

Had this from a bomber in an oversized wine glass.

Looked very nice. Dark ruby and garnet colored with a 3/8 inch head that continually refreshed when I swirled the glass. A nice ring of lacing slowly drifted down the glass each time.

Grassy hops aroma, with hints of grapefruit and pine and alcohol.

Taste was very hoppy with a stiff malt backbone and quite a lot of grass flavor and grapefruit as well. Very bitter. It reminded me of Dogfishhead 90 IPA. I was excited to try this beer, but was dissappointed in how hopped up it was. I'm not a fan of highly hopped beer, so I didn't care for this that much. It was obviously a quality beer, but not my style. To quote from the label, apparently I'm not worthy to drink it!!

Nice mouthfeel. Warming from the alcohol, which wasn't hidden that well.

Overall, I wouldn't drink this again, but I think that people who like this style of beer would like it.

05-10-2006 15:33:10 | More by doppelmeup
SilentSabre

North Dakota

3.25/5  rDev -22.2%

This is my first sample of anything from Stone Brewing. Nothing else I have ever had tastes quite like this.Very, very hoppy, and being that I am not a hop fan, I did not care for that taste like I thought that I would. Poured a dark garnet copper red colour with a dirty sand-like head. The head faded away to a thin film quickly. The smell is a little sweet, a bit fruit, date or raisin like actually, and definately complex. The texture of the taste is very smooth and almost silky. This stuff was way too grassy for me, with a tiny bit of caramel, as well. It leaves a very faint chocolate like after-taste about a second or two after you take a sip. I wasn't quite as impressed as I thought I would be.

06-05-2004 01:25:38 | More by SilentSabre
LucaBrasi

3.25/5  rDev -22.2%

Bottle 6FL oz. Served in a large Duvel Tulip glass.
Pours a deep ruby color with a frothy white head, which will disappear only to lace the glass.
The smell is sweet and hoppy.
Taste is in your face at first very strong with a grapefruit like bitterness as an aftertaste. After the initial shock to the taste buds you can taste the complex flavors of this beer. There is a carmel like sweetness to this brew that ends in a bitter hoppyness.
Mouthfeel is smooth and warming.
Drinkability is a little lower just because of the high alcohol content and the boldness of the brew.... a bomber will suffice in fact it was taking me a little while to finish the thing.

10-13-2005 02:46:55 | More by LucaBrasi
Prufrock

3.25/5  rDev -22.2%

22oz bomber into a goblet.

quarter inch beige head that falls quickly. clear reddish brown that looks redder against the light. very nice color.

strong, coarse hop aroma with some fruity sweetness behind it, peaches and pineapples. very nice aroma.

malty sweetness with a stinging carbonation and a hoppy, bitter aftertaste. taste not as balanced as the aroma. hops are a little too "aggressive" for me, as the label warns. guess i'm not worthy.

12-14-2005 04:45:51 | More by Prufrock
roblowther

3.25/5  rDev -22.2%

Pours a lovely dark red color with minimal head that dissipates quickly and leaves a trace of tan lace. Smell is very floral, maybe roses and something sharp that hints at the bitterness to come. Taste is good, ALL hops. No malt within a mile of this one. The first taste is floral, maybe pine, then it rounds into a lovely, soft licorice-like roast that is not burnt at all. It sort of lulls you into complacency and then the bitterness comes on like a freight train, painting the back of the tongue with a burnt coffee sharpness. Not even something I can describe as aftertaste so much as a oral hangover. This is not my style (I suppose I live up to their "you're not worthy" motto) so I may be a bit jaded. Mouthfeel is very good, hits a good balance of roundness without being heavy. Drinkability - low. Low low low. I can't imagine making it through more than one in a session, just too much hops. All in all, probably a good example of a style that appeals to...someone other than me.

07-12-2006 00:49:18 | More by roblowther
orangedive

Maryland

3.25/5  rDev -22.2%

A - Maroon / Brownish-burgundy. Mostly opaque. Half inch tan head that dissipated quickly. It's a beautiful looking beer, very clear.

S - Sweetness initially. Hints of brown sugar & vanilla--maybe a little maple. Some malt and oak.

T - Malty sweetness initially. The oak kicks in pretty strongly with a little bitterness in the aftertaste. It gets more palatable as it warms. Some maple & vanilla flavors are definitely present. Good but the slight bitterness at the end bugs me.

M - Medium to Medium-thick on the tongue.

D - Not bad. Not a session beer. One at a time--maybe two at the most. The bitterness really prevented me from enjoying this beer.

10-16-2008 01:47:15 | More by orangedive
tlazaroff

3.25/5  rDev -22.2%

This is a strong and malty beer. It's thick, and dark brown. Little hop presence on the nose, but mostly carmel and toffee scents and flavors. The beer lingers in your mouth for quite a while and is quite alcoholic which is hidden well by the maltiness. I wouldn't seek out this beer, but I would buy it if I saw it again.

07-31-2010 18:29:08 | More by tlazaroff
tjsmith910

3.25/5  rDev -22.2%

This beer has thrown me for a loop. I tried it because of a TV show. I liked the name and the brewing company seemed like they were aiming for perfection which for an american ale I think they are damn close. The Bottle reads as follows:

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you’re mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!

A - absolutely beautiful deep red and brown look

S - I rate all beers a 3 because I have no sense of smell

T - HOPS...lots of HOPS

M - Warming feeling in pit of stomach. You want more though, then you begin to gulp. Flow of the beer runs deep into the depths of you.

O - I think they are on to something here

07-09-2011 15:50:00 | More by tjsmith910
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

3.28/5  rDev -21.5%

(Props to Linc for giving me the chance to try this)A hop bomb. No subtle use of hops to be found here. Very sharp hoppy aroma (grapefruit/pine), with some raisins. The flavour is pretty full on, hops everywhere, quite bitter and very sharp and a bit sickly, particularly as you work your way through it, the amount of hops throws the balance out a bit. Pretty much everything i was expecting, a massive hop bomb. Did i mention it was hoppy?

06-16-2003 01:44:46 | More by rastaman
Hunter

Arizona

3.28/5  rDev -21.5%

This brewery, and this beer, have quite a reputation here, so I avoided as much as possible others' reviews before sampling it.

Beer pours out a lovely ruby color, almost like brandy, with thin carbonation and a lasting tan head. Coffee, strong hops, and dark chocolate in the nose, with a back scent of fruit. A wine-like essence emerges as the glass warms to room temperature, along with - dare I say it? - a hint of beefsteak. The astingency is the first thing to hit the palate upon drinking, but it quickly mellows to a smoother hit of hops and sweet malt. The taste of alcohol is predominant. Chimay does a better job in their product of sublimating that high alcohol under other flavors...but given the name of this one maybe that's the whole point. Aftertaste is heavy in smoke, not pleasant but bearable. That smoke hangs around in the mouth for some time between sips. My impression of this beer got progressively more positive as I drained my glass (and at 7.2% ABV, that's no shock).

If beer was wine, I'd classify this as a port. Something to be sipped slowly, savored after a gourmet meal, but this is not a thirst-quencher you'd slug down. Frat boys with bongs need not apply. Certainly a beer to include in your regular rotation. I'll be reviewing it again in the future.

05-18-2004 20:21:30 | More by Hunter
beersarang

3.28/5  rDev -21.5%

Hilarious bottle. Love Stone.

Pours a beautiful amber with a voluminous tan head.

Smell is of floral citrucy American hops and lightly toasted malts.

Taste, now I love Ruination, so I'm not afraid of hops. I felt that this beer was out of balance. The malt is strong, alcohol character is strong, and hop character is way strong. "This is an agressive beer." but not well put together. Something feels a little wrong with this, the aftertaste is rather intense and mildly unpleasant. I guess I'm just a little dissapointed with the "flagship" beer of stone. All around a good beer, but get the ruination instead.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with appropriate carbonation.

Not particularly drinkable because of the harshness and the "off balanced-ness"

02-13-2005 08:46:34 | More by beersarang
davedahl

3.28/5  rDev -21.5%

Impressively thick head - small bubbles and hop oil make this head stick around for the duration. Clear but dark amber in color.

Nose is wet grassy hops.

First sip is a big mouthful of hops (big but not BIIG). There's malt in the middle but it cries out for help against the persistent hop characteristic. Slightly slick mouthfeel. More bitter hop in aftertastes.

Good beer but malt and hops are out of whack. Not a hopbomb, but just tons of one-dimensional bitter hops and just a whimper of timid but rich malt.

10-07-2008 22:52:56 | More by davedahl
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.