Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,901 | Hads: 9,925
4.37/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 22 ounce bomber, purchased at Friar Tuck for $4.29. Impressed with the deep rich orange brown color. More impressed with the flavor of this strong ale - very hoppy and delicious; enjoyed savoring each sip. You have to try this one at least once. (260 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A-Deep dark red with a rich thick head.

S-Malt aroma is readily apparent with some other fruit notes

T-Contains a lot of malt that produces a huge body but the hop flavor balances out the malt, and it also provides a measure of sweetness.

M-Taste buds come alive under the rich malt, citrus hops and other flavor at work. A moderate amount of carbonation.

O-While this is classified as an American Strong Ale, it is a full bodied beer that reminds me of porter. A unique and purely enjoyable beer I will have again. (521 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From one of my earliest reviews:
As soon as I crack open the bottle I instantly can smell the hoppy goodness that is within. As I sip the beer I taste notes of grapefruit. It appears to be a dark amber like color and it definitely goes down very smooth.
O: I hope to try this beer again as it was the first "craft" beer that I ever had. I need to revamp my above review from January of 2015 (390 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -9.1%

Bought this on a whim at my local Market Basket. I vaguely remember having this in my formative drinking years and not liking it, but now that I am a bit older and (somewhat) wiser I needed to give it another try.

L- Nice and brown/ruby red, thick head dissipates after a few minutes but with nice lacing (4).

S- Malt, sweet sweet malt. Some prunes, deep dark fruits (grapes), and some light chocolate in there as well. (4)

T- Malty, hoppy bite, sweet sugary finish. The sweetness is from the caramel malts I am guessing, a little cloying as the glass wears on. (3.5)

F- This is not a pounding beer; medium-full body, very filling. (4)

O- This is the same hoppy, malty, sweet brew that I remember from my early drinking years. I still enjoy it! (4) (755 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Tried once years ago when I got into the beer scene and recall not caring for it. Now that I've sampled quite the scope, this beer comes off as a great-feeling malty/ caramel ale that pops with a sharp dose of piney/ citrusy hops.
Drinks easy for a 7%+ brew. Reminded of Celebration by Sierra Nevada for some reason, although I suppose this is more aggressive with the hops and grainy as well. It lived up to its description the first try years back. Now I can see it in a different light. Well-made. (501 characters)

4.16/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a hazy amber into the glass. The description arrogantly tells me I won't like it, but I do. ...and unlike this beer, I am legitimate. So, here we have an arrogant beer that is an illegitimate son liked by a legitimate son who brews...does my drinking this beer legitimize it and remove any stigma that it has, thus rendering it's name irrelevant? ..or does drinking the beer de-legitimize me? Buy a 22 oz bottle, drink it and think deep thoughts about unmarried parents and beer..... (495 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -64.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

Good idea to barrel age beers but there's no barrel presence at all. Its like they put in the barrel for 48 hours then bottled. I will never look at stone's beers the same after this ruse (187 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz Brown bottle with pry-off cap and best by date of 08/01/15. Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a deep mahogany with 1 finger of head

Smell: Piney and earthy hops

Taste: Hop flavors of pine and spruce with some caramel and bread malt in the middle and finish

Mouthfeel: Sticky hop finish

Overall: I finally got around to this review. A classic that I believe was the first stone beer I ever had. I just reached a stirring realization, that this is essentially original stone pale ale on steroids and seriously hopped up. The same caramel malt notes are present but the hops take over. This may be overshadowed by newer beers, but this is a classic that still kicks ass. (693 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Awesome beer, beautiful looking. I almost get more enjoyment out of looking at it. Good overall beer, and a great starter for someone trying to get into craft ale. (165 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I love this beer.
The appearance is a deep reddish brown.
The aroma is hops in your face with a spicy scent.
The taste is upfront and personal with a dank hoppy punch.
The mouthfeel is heavy and rich.
There is nothing sweet about this beer. If you love bitter hops and a strong ale, this is for you.

Poured out of a bottle (with an Enjoy By date by the way - August 8, 2015) into an old fashioned glass. (407 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I had Double Bastard, and I assumed this one would share most characters with it. However, the assumption is pretty wrong, this bottle is much more like a DIPA, hoppy (floral and citrus) and bitter. i.e. It's not as balanced as its bigger bother, which is more similar to barleywine. Nevertheless, it's still a decent American style beer. (338 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

Appearance: Caramel brown with a good head of foam that sticks around. A lot of carbonation.

Smell: Bready malts, caramel, pine, and a hint of citrus.

Taste: Bready malts, caramel, pine, and a hint of citrus.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, crisp, and dry. Moderate hop bitterness in the finish.

The Verdict: Good beer. Full of flavor while still well balanced between hops and malts, sweet and bitter. A rare feat. (413 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -27.5%

Nothing special about this beer maybe after hearing so much about this beer over the years I was just expecting more flavor and hops wise was OK nothing special and not overwhelming in any way shape or form maybe I expected too much from something labeled a strong ale this strong ale needs a 2.0 IMHO (301 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dark amber in color with light carbonation. First taste was slightly bitter, hops forward. But as the ale's head dissipated the taste mellowed and sweetened. Alcohol was not forward but was present. All in all I would drink this again. (235 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

From a bomber into a tulip

a: beautiful garnet red, 2 finger tight puffy off-white head, tons of lacing
s: some toffee/caramel sweetness and bready malts, some piney and rounded citrus hops...good but not great
t: follows the nose...big and aggressive but also fairly smooth and balanced.
m: very good, medium carbonation, refreshing, both smooth and chewy, substantial, with a hoppy edge (389 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Brewed in the style of an American Strong Ale. Available as a year round release in 22 oz. bottles, 12 oz. bottled 6 packs and on standard draft.

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle to a Stone Brewing pint glass. Served above 55 degrees Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a frothy foam head of a golden-caramel tone over a mildly hazy copper body with light, lively carbonation. Retention is very good and lacing is moderate and draped. 4.5

(Smell) Bready, biscuity caramel grains and syrups, ample fruity and piney hops with a moderate bitterness, relatively clean and simple overall despite a moderate potency, the malt and hop characters are perceptibly dominant in the aroma. 3.75

(Taste) Smooth, bready caramel malts forward with a low sweetness, fairly dry with a moderate hop profile of piney, resinous and light citrus hops. Finishes smooth and moderately dry with a lingering malt dryness and a light piney hop note with a subtle bitterness. 3.5

(Mouthfeel) The texture is slick, lightly creamy, clean and moderately dry. Carbonation is light, generating a modest frothiness and a faintly crisp finish. Balance is slightly hoppy bitter and grainy over sweet. Alcohol presence is light and there are no notable off characters. 3.75

(Overall) My first foray into Arrogant Bastard Ale came in my early years of drinking, as one of my very first craft beers, and it genuinely took me by surprise at how startling the flavor profiles were. Nearly 5 years and a much more seasoned (or weakened) palate later, it's not pulling the same weight that it once did with me in particular, as I find the hops and malt character much milder now than I did then, and the striking lack of malt sweetness unusual. It is much more drinkable now than I found 2010, although I would only find myself visiting this beer on rare occasions. It continues to carry an excellent price tag per bottle, which is one reason I recommend this beer to budding craft ale connoisseurs, as it demonstrated to me early on that there was a great deal of flavor to enjoy in craft-brewed ales, this is a good starting point for many who want to explore this potential. 3.75

Stone Brewing Co.'s
Arrogant Bastard Ale
3.7/5.00 (2,187 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Beautiful looking brew - deep, clear garnet topped with sticky off-white head. Smells of citrus, caramel and alcohol. Flavors are bold indeed - pine and grapefruit leaving a lasting, heavy bitterness. (200 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pale caramel brown in appearance with a piney aroma. It's bitter sweet with a boozy grapefruit profile dominating the overall flavor. The mouth feel is light, watery, and flat. My overall impression is that it is enjoyable for those seeking an American strong ale with fairly strong grapefruit flavor. (302 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Great looking almond color with a full, frothy head. Aroma doesn't jump out at you but it's got a nice malty scent with a bit of hoppiness. Generally, that's how the taste goes as well, though the malt flavor is fairly complex with hints of brown sugar and molasses. There's a touch of hoppy bitterness as well, especially in the finish. Texture is surprisingly frothy - lighter and bubblier in feel than you would expect for the style. I found that letting this warm a good deal smoothed out the bitterness and brought out the complexity of the malt. A recognized classic and a really solid beer, but one that I always want to like a bit more than I actually do. (663 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -25.1%

I've been meaning to try for years. Finally grabbed a bottle today from my local chain grocery in Atlanta. Beautiful pour into standard English pint glass. Nice head, color and aroma. From there it disappoints. A little too sweet and malty upfront, followed by a diabolical hop-head finish. Not a great combo on its own. Likely works better with very spicy foods.

There are so many other brews that do variations on both styles and the melding of the two so much better... at least in 2015. (493 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -42.6%

Unfortunately, I can't even review this beer now and the reasons are listed below.

I've been drinking this for years now. Every time I visit my local establishment which has had Arrogant Bastard since day 1, I get a draft glass of it. It used to be great but has suffered from inconsistencies over the last couple years. I had some today from a keg and it tasted more like an IPA than arrogant bastard. I've had some in the past that tasted more like a Yuengling. I thought maybe it was a keg issue so I grabbed some in a bottle and it tasted different in the bottle also.

I'm starting to think that the bourbon and oaked versions were just batches that didn't turn out right. Unfortunately, Stone has some work to do to get this beer consistent and tasking like it used to. (782 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Great head. Potent smell. Bitter but balanced. Definitely a good beer and I'm never unhappy having one, but never have I thought, "man I could really go for an arrogant bastard..." There are so many better beers out there today. (228 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Simply gorgeous. Crystal clear ruby-brown, foamy head that recedes to nothing but leaves some webs of lace.

S: Mmmm. Standard hop offerings, orange juice, pine, slightly perfumey, but very expressive, with sweet warm toffee malt behind it, even raisin.

T: Bitter, to say the least. Good balance between hops and malt; pine and orange prominent, but quickly relieved by some malt. Definite floral note, quite welcome in an otherwise bleak and almost ordinary profile.

M: Tiny touch of a syrup quality, but overall drinkable.

O: Hopbomb for sure, but even a non-hophead like myself can appreciate this, once we get past the nearly overwhelming pine and bitterness. Gotta pay homage to (what I believe to be) one of the first mega-hopped IPA's. (749 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm not an ale fan. I'll make an exception for this one. Everything about it, brilliant!! Crisp, hoppy just to edge of permissiveness, a great linger factor. (160 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into pint glass. Pretty dark red color with fairly thick creamy head. The smell is malty but I don't detect the sweetness suggested by others. There is some nice malty sweetness in the taste but this ale is hoppier than I anticipated. There is also a degree of spice. Very nice mouth feel; rather thick for an ale. Overall, this is fine ale, although I prefer one less bitter, scotch ale. (400 characters)

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.