2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Ratings: 7,469 | Reviews: 2,739 | Show All Ratings:
Mikecap

Louisiana

4.66/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This was one of my first forays into the aggressive hop-foward west coast beers, and I have never looked back.

Pours a deep brown color, almost black in appearance with a slight whitish head.

The smell recalls citrus notes with pine and maybe even some oak in there, the hops are certainly at the forefront and Stone makes no attempt to hide that.

Powerful malt and hop flavors dominate the brew, bitter without being too bitter, plus some sweet notes of citrus and caramel. Absolutely delicious.

Certainly a bold mouthfeel that captures the essence of the style. Although classified as a strong ale, I put it more towards Black IPA on the spectrum thanks to the hops and intensive, but smooth finish.

Overall one of my favorite beers out there, and a true product of the fine men at Stone.

12-20-2012 16:25:05 | More by Mikecap
jaz58

Ontario (Canada)

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

Enjoyed this brew at Jerome Bettis Grille in Pittsburgh

Pekoe Tea in colour.

A nice thin head that stayed thoroughout the drink creating a nice lace spider web.

Hints of toffee in the noise.

Tea with a hint of qunine at the beginning. The bitters come in and they are aggressive yet not overwhelming.

If you enjoy IPA's this Brown ale may beat a few you have had.

11-21-2012 02:40:27 | More by jaz58
ToddL

1.75/5  rDev -58.1%

Had 3 other persons at my table. No one would dare try a second taste of the overly hoppy bitter beer.
I'm not a huge fan of hops , So it was all I could do to hold my nose and choke down this beer I paid $7 dollars for. But if you are a fan of bitter tasting hop flavored beers give this a go. This just happens to be on the opposite spectrum of my liking.

11-19-2012 14:50:53 | More by ToddL
Cavanaghty

Maine

4.98/5  rDev +19.1%

Served on tap in a sample glass.

Appearance: Deep amber color with a white head.

Smell: Hops, citrus, malts. Some sugars too in the background.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Medium bodied and smooth. Hoppy, citrus taste that dominates the palate.

Overall: Great beer, this one definatly lived up to it's reputation. I will have this one again.

11-09-2012 14:38:44 | More by Cavanaghty
TwelveOunces

Kentucky

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%

Served on tap in a pint glass

It has been to long since my last go at the classic Bastard. This beer is a deep amber color and is extremely hazy. The head is slightly off white and really doesnt stick around too long. The nose is mostly pine, herbal and floral hops. The taste of this beer starts out with a high bitterness and an intense hop profile. There is a ton of grassy, herbal, spicy notes and a lot of pine and some lemon zest. The beer has a ton of mouth feel and helps to deliver the beers flavors. The other flavors of the beer are toffee, caramel and bread yeast. This is a classic go to beer, best fresh in my opinion.

10-07-2012 15:34:03 | More by TwelveOunces
tectactoe

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

They always have Arrogant Bastard on tap at a pub close to my house. Pours a deep ruby shade of brown with a thin head that leaves tremendous lacing. I've found that many of Stone's brews leave awesome lacing, and this one is certainly no exception. The initial whiff has a floral essence with plenty of hops and flowers, which is quickly followed up by a nice helping of toasted malts and grains. The taste has pronounced bitterness from the hops up front that quickly becomes mellowed out and balanced by a deep, sweet caramel flavor with roasted barley and a hint of earthy and coffee flavors. The bitterness is nearly a whim by the end, but clearly leaves an impression on your tongue, teasing you to drink more. The mouth is somewhat thick, very smooth, and a bit creamy.

This beer contains a solid amount of malt flavor as well as hop flavor and does an incredibly nice job of balancing the two in near perfect harmony - one of the hardest tasks when making beer. This is a beer that I have had many times, and I'm sure many more times to come.

10-03-2012 11:57:21 | More by tectactoe
TheRealBigC

Nevada

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

There is nothing quite like Arrogant Bastard. I love that descriptors for the beer ended with "you probably won't like it." This might be true, though, for the uninitiated. It's quite a bitch slap on your tongue. Strong Ale is the best way to describe it. It's just so strong on your tongue - bitter and complex. I honestly can't pick apart the pieces that make up this beer. The malt and hops work together seemlessly for a balanced taste. I've never tasted sweetness in this beer, though, which some have noted in their reviews. As it warms it is a little smoother, but sweet is an adjective I reserve for the Double Bastard.

09-27-2012 17:51:42 | More by TheRealBigC
Melikeydahop

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm a big fan of Stone's IPA...and have been wanting to try this one for a while. Lucky enough to find it on tap at my one of my favorite sports bars. Poured a beautiful light reddish color with maybe a finger or less of white head. I've never had a strong ale before..so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. This beer was delicious...nice deep malt sweetness almost a cherry flavor, balanced by a good kick of hop bitterness on the finish. Nice amount of carbonation, and left an absolutely fantastic lacing on the glass..perhaps the best I've seen.

If a pompous male cherry and female grapefruit got together for a night of intense passion and produced a love child made of beer, and the cherry skipped town the next day, the grapefruit would have named her baby Arrogant.

I'll be looking for this one again. Absolute must try.

09-24-2012 15:01:56 | More by Melikeydahop
Oakenator

4.58/5  rDev +9.6%

On a cold tap in a chilled glass so not ideal for flavor profiling, but still this beer rocks. From just the looks of it this beer is the standard to measure others by. Dark amber with a hint of ruby. Full ivory head and excellent lacing. Smells of caramel and other darker malts. Ample hops are present but are extremely well balanced by the malt. Not too strong yet not soft. Near perfection.

08-17-2012 21:41:30 | More by Oakenator
Kadonny

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from tap at the Craft Ale House in Limerick PA into a classic pint glass. Believe it or not, this is my first AB from tap.

A: A reddish brown color with a fluffy off white 2 finger head. Real nice pour. Big glass lacing.

S: Piney floral hops with a nice malty smell. Wow, the hops really come out in the nose here.

T: Hops first with flavors of pine, citrus and a floral quality. The rich sweeter malt comes in with hints of caramel and some toffee maybe a bit of fruit even. Finish is classic Stone bitterness that just lasts in the mouth. Wow, this is great from tap.

M: Wonderful. Not real thick, but coating and the alcohol is nowhere to be found. Again, nice bitterness that lingers.

D: High, super high. For a 7.2 abv beer this is so drinkable and enjoyable.

I have had AB from bottle many times, but from tap this beer is even better. Wow I almost forgot how much I loved this beer. Excellent. My love affair is renewed again with Stone. They just make great beer after great beer. Uber kudos to them.

Update 5/24/2012: Stone sixtels have landed in PA, and a fresh one has made it to my house. As a general update, I am picking up on a lot more citrus notes in both the smell and taste than before with huge grapefruit qualities. The herbal floral flavors are still strong and I'm getting less pine and earth notes.

I am still in love with this beer and it continues to be a true classic of all times. Superb.

05-24-2012 14:08:41 | More by Kadonny
damndirtyape

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Served in a mason jar at Coalhouse Pizza, Stamford, CT.

Appearance: Dark hazy copper-amber beer with a light tan to light orange head. Initial 1/4" head upon serving died down to a thin skin across the top, but plenty of persistent lacing noted as I drank the beer down. Dark, inviting, rich in color and lacing. A great looking beer.

Smell: For all the taste, a bit surprising it wasn't as strong in aroma. A bit of nice malt and citrus hops, but not very strong in aroma. Maybe the glass?

Taste: Strong hop flavor right up front with citrus, orange and just a hint of pine, then moving into a solidly wonderful malt base to counter that hop flavor, and then a just right bitter finish - hoppy, but not a mouth-puckering bitter finish. Oh so good.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, nicely creamy, just right carbonation. To my surprise, did not stick to the teeth as much as I expected.

Overall / Drinkability: A very dangerous beer...I could easily see myself having another one and regretting it later. On the other hand, while strong in flavor, balanced enough that you can get all the flavors in each sip and deeper drink as well such that you want to come back for more. I've had the oaked version of this beer in bottle, but on tap and unoaked...I think it's an even better beer although the smell wasn't as strong as I though it would be. Still, a great beer I will seek out again.

05-23-2012 02:47:28 | More by damndirtyape
Charlottini

4.63/5  rDev +10.8%

Arrogant Bastard is one of my favorite go-to meals. Yes, I said meals. It's also especially excellent with "big food", such as red meat dishes. It arrives menacing and dark in color, strong in flavor, and it's alarmingly easy to drink despite it's massive personality. It won't overpower your food, but if you like strong beers, this one is just amazing. I've enjoyed it out of a bottle and from a tap. I think the tap version is slightly more fabulous, but both are positively fantastic.

05-05-2012 20:04:28 | More by Charlottini
bobhall78

4.53/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Medium dark with some orange color. Can still see light through it.

S - Malty, citrus, chocolaty.

T - Mild bitterness, some citrus in there somewhere, mild coffee, and chocolate flavor.

M - Medium body, smooth.

O - Not bad for a dark beer if you like a hint of citrus in a dark beer. Goes down smooth with a little bitterness.

04-08-2012 17:31:23 | More by bobhall78
GNWBC

Washington

P: pours a clear dark red/brown with light head that fades after a while.

S: strong malt and hop notes with some light citrus hanging around.

T: lots and lots of strong malt, good hop character evens out the beer, well balanced for being so pungent.

MF: goes down clean, good after taste that faded quickly and is not overwhelming to the palate.

OA: surely worthy of its reputation.

03-15-2012 00:54:36 | More by GNWBC
BillH200174

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

Blood red with a tan head that laces well and mostly diminishes. Flavors are huge, supperhoppy, resinous and complex with a unique, massive spicy mutant cinnamon like flavor dominating. Finishes with pronounced bitterness but a nice almost port-like aftertaste.

02-25-2012 01:23:49 | More by BillH200174
notchucknorris

3.68/5  rDev -12%

On tap at Ignite!

A: Reddish brown color with a thin tan head.

S: Big malty aroma with some citrus hops and a good amount of resin.

T: I started out loving this beer, then I hated it, and now I'm back to liking it again. Big, chewy malt throughout, citrus hop resin and a good amount of booze.

02-09-2012 22:04:00 | More by notchucknorris
ummswimmin

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Stone is the eighth largest brewer in the US, and Arrogant Bastard is the largest selling bomber in the US. The name is synonomous with great, consistent beers. I was at a beer dinner sponsored by Stone, and this was part of the four course dinner. They paired it with pork belly, and it worked well together.

If you haven't had Arrogant Bastard... go to the liquor store; it is there.

What started as an error, became an excellent old ale.

It smells and tastes great. You know that it is there for you... when you want a great strong ale.

01-24-2012 04:06:11 | More by ummswimmin
Merkur

Tennessee

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at the Stone Brewery.

Beer pours a very nice, dark reddish color.

The beer smells very malty and hoppy at the same time. I smelled some nice sweet caramel notes and some piney hops.

Beer tastes like it smells. Very malty in flavor. Very bitter from the hops on the front end, but finishes fairly smooth and carmelly. Very nice.

Moutfeel is crisp with a bit of carbonation.

Overall, a very nice strong ale.

01-21-2012 16:23:05 | More by Merkur
Clembo1957

United Kingdom (England)

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

Served on tap at The Euston Tap in London, a half pint served in an half pint imperial glass.

This would normally be the highlight of my day but i followed it with a glass of Stone Ruination which was even better!

the beer is an Amber color, very hoppy aroma,with a well malted taste with traces of toffee or Caramel. excellent mouthfeel which left me wanting more.

Excellent beer from Stone, it lives up to its reputation.

01-16-2012 22:06:44 | More by Clembo1957
coldriver

4.22/5  rDev +1%

On tap at BJ's Brewhouse in Keller, Texas, served in a pint glass. Deep amber color, adequate head and lacing despite the crappy bartender's best efforts. Aroma of citrus hops, deep caramel, and some light oak and vanilla. Taste is a rich blend of citrus hops with a strong toffee malt backing, but not too sweet. Nicely carbonated with wonderful dry finish, alcohol is well hidden. This is pretty much a go-to beer for me, the best on-tap selection within 2 miles of the workplace.

01-11-2012 04:48:02 | More by coldriver
gerite

Alabama

4.63/5  rDev +10.8%

I fell in love with this beer while visiting my son in California. First had a bottle and then a fresh draft at the Stone Brewery in Escondido. For some reason it is not sold in Alabama, but I did get a bottle in New Jersey and several drafts in Florida before I started reviewing on the Beer Advocate. This review is from last night where I enjoyed a draft at the Brewhouse South in Franklin, TN (just south of Nashville). This is the only beer I always look for when I go to a new drinking establishment.

This beer is everything the other 2700+ reviewers have said and then some! It is listed as a strong ale and that is exactly what it is. This beer is not for the meek or timid. The only advantage to having a bottle over a draft is everyone will know what you are drinking and you get to read the label affirming your arrogance.

Arrogant Bastard Ale is a strong dark ale with lots of hops and a full body mouthfeel. It is as dark as the devil with a slightly bitter aftertaste. Try this beer. If you don’t like it, you are not deserving and that only leaves more for those of us who are.

01-08-2012 17:31:59 | More by gerite
dunit697

3.6/5  rDev -13.9%

Let me start out by saying I am not a big Stone fan. I think the hops are normally a bit extreme. This beer is no exception, I tried grading very objectively and most standards its a good beer. I personally only recommend Stone Beer's in general if you love hops to death. I can say I won't be buying this one again.

12-13-2011 19:41:41 | More by dunit697
Treebs

3.95/5  rDev -5.5%

Had this on draft at Emerson's Ale House. Served in a pint glass.

A: Pours a deep purple color with some dark ruby edges where the light catches it. Very thin off white had that subsided to some little resting wisps and a thin collar that leaves some splotchy lace behind.

S: Some citrus fruit smells, mostly light grapefruit. A caramel malt presence with a light grassy hop undertone rounds it out.

T: A toasted malt body with a slight sweet caramel makes up the body of this beer. There are nice citrus grapefruit and grassy-like hop undertones that brings the beer together. Slight bitterness on the finish. Very good.

M: Full bodied with good carbonation and a bready malt aftertaste. Very drinkable.

O: The oaked version is much better in terms of the complexity the barrel adds, but this is right up there with that version and it is just as drinkable.

12-11-2011 14:39:29 | More by Treebs
spinrsx

Ontario (Canada)

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

On-Tap

Appearance - Copper/brown colour with a small size frothy beige coloured head. It's hard to make out the level of carbonation and there is some good lacing on the sides of the glass. The head lasted for 4 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, hops, dark fruits, caramel

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation and I can taste raisins, malts, and a caramel flavour. I can also taste hops and pine mixed with an odd vegetable flavour. I've had this beer before and I don't recall this odd flavour, but it's something along the lines of cauliflower.. I must be losing my mind. Anyways, it ends with a malty hoppy aftertaste.

Overall – When I had this from a bottle I was impressed with how complex the flavour was. It was like a mixed bad of all kids of tastes. I was disappointed with how it tasted on tap, but I really have no idea how old/fresh the keg was.

12-08-2011 14:45:37 | More by spinrsx
gtermi

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: This is a very nice looking beer. It pours a very dark black cherry red with a nice inch thick tan head.

S: I get a lot of hops and sweet malt. It really smells like a citrusy fruit drink.

T: The beer has a nice pineapple juice taste. You also get a bit of strong malt and great amount of hops. The lingering taste has a lot of tea characteristics.

M: The beer is pretty smooth and has a nice amount of crispness. The beer does leave a bubble feeling in the throat.

O: What a great beer! I mean it has so much flavor and it's like Controlled Chaos.. Just an all around badass beer

11-30-2011 04:22:26 | More by gtermi
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.