Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.21/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Served in a snifter.

Appearance: A very dark transparent amber with heavy bubbles on the body. The head is off-white with a slightly orange tint rising to maybe 1/3".

Smell: A really nice aroma, strong hops becomes pretty addicting, not much more else to say.

Taste: A strong bitter floral taste...smooth hops, comes off complex but still one dimensional. Bitter-smoothness feels like multi-grain, and a pinch of sourness that is just right.

Mouth: Sharp and crisp toasty bread finish with a medium to heavy carbonation....not exactly perfect but just right.

Overall: As many times as i drank this I always thought I gave it a review, now five hundred plus reviews later I am giving this beer what's due. For roughly seven to eight bucks a bottle at your local spot definitely beyond well worth it. I like it's big brother(Double Bastard) a little better but every beer has it's occasion. A blessing to have...Salud!

BlurryVisi0n, Jul 31, 2013

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

chiva, Jul 30, 2013

Golfrocket, Jul 30, 2013
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Levitation was the first brew I'd ever had from Stone (great beer-surprisingly low alcohol content, consistent on tap & yet seemingly impossible to find in the southeast) followed by Arrogant Bastard. The first time I ever tasted it was on liter night at Crowbar, a favorite local dive, although one of the worst places to try a beer for the first time.

The conditions were terrible, the carbonation on the beer mediocre (I was sloshing it around in the giant liter cups they gave us for what must have been 30 minutes before finishing it).

I felt like I needed to give the beer another chance, and I'm glad I did.
Strong malt presence, strong alcohol presence, intense hops. What a perfect trio. I consider this one of my favorite beers to date, and it's one of the first craft brews I was introduced to.

BurlesqueRadio, Jul 30, 2013

Tamaquadan, Jul 29, 2013

RocksteadyRye, Jul 29, 2013

krome, Jul 29, 2013
4.54/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I thought "Why the hell not?" last night and bought the 22oz. bomber with the characteristic arrogant gargoyle on the front and freshness date printed on the shoulder of the bottle (09/28/13, we're good). I was kind of surprised to see this at my local Kroger supermarket. Who'd have thought the supermarket would have any craft beer worth drinking at all? At the time of this writing, I am reviewing this as I drink. Bottoms up.

I popped the top in this bad boy and poured it into my trusty pint glass, where I got a very nice, rich, relatively clear ruby brown with a very small amount of haze (from the hops maybe?), small yet numerous carbonation bubbles rising lazily to the surface and two fingers of creamy head that takes its time to dissipate; five minutes after the pour and there's still about a finger of head, good sign. There's a lot of lacing at first, but instead of sticking to the side of the glass it slides back down into the beer. That's alright, no points off here. The immediate scent is of fruity, citrusy hops, some estery notes, a touch of grass and grapefruit; this reminds me of how a standard IPA first smells, except there's more bready malt scent. Speaking of malt, the beer smells wonderfully sweet with just a hint of a toast and some caramel that bursts through the initial hops scent. There's also a little bit of yeast (not a great deal at all, just a tiny bit) and likewise a tiny bit of alcohol buried deep in this complex bouquet of beer smell.

Taking the first sip now and all I can think is that the description on the back of the bottle did not lie at all, this is a very complex beer with a lot of depth and character. It's warmed up a few degrees and the taste follows suit with the smell, hops are the initial taste. God, I can taste those hops oils quite nicely, fruity, piney, grassy and bitter, but not overwhelmingly so. A little bit of alcohol and carbonation sting is present on the tongue after a moment, but it's not a big deal. After a few seconds there's some hops spiciness that takes its time working to the front of the palate. The flavor of the hops mellows a bit after the swallow, and the malt comes through in the aftertaste, very sweet and kind of sticky. A little bit of caramel, but not a whole lot. I'm a little bit surprised to say that the malt takes its sweet time coming to the forefront. I want to say it's smothered by the hops, but at the same time it isn't; it's simply satisfied to take a mellow backseat to the hops flavor. About a minute after swallowing the beer the malt comes through with more strength and sweetness, and the hops weaken a bit until only their most floral pine and grass notes remain, and they linger quite nicely on the tongue. A little bit longer and the biscuit and caramel flavors predominate, with just a hint of grass left. The mouthfeel is in the light-medium range, clean and a little bit oily from the hops, plus a little bit of alcohol burn. The sugar from the malt and head makes the lips a little bit sticky, no big deal really. It goes down smooth and is a joy to drink all around.

This, gentlemen (and ladies) is a damn fine beer. I have a hard time finding anything to complain about at all, and the only thing that I really didn't fully enjoy, the fact that it's not quite sweet enough, is more a matter of personal taste in my opinion. Don't be offput by this arrogant bastard, because his attitude is really more of a façade to hide the rich and decadently complex character and flavor profile beneath. I will definitely be placing Stone's beers on my to drink list.

Cheers to good health and good beer.

Caj1, Jul 29, 2013

salinasa, Jul 28, 2013

Zach136, Jul 28, 2013

westcott, Jul 28, 2013

OgreSanchez, Jul 28, 2013
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.