Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 9,807 | Reviews: 2,966
3.81/5  rDev -8.4%

Nice thick head that you can float a bottle cap on. Very strong malt smell and flavor, and heavy aftertaste. This is not a beer for beginners, nor the faint of heart. I am fairly new to the beer tasting scene, and this is very strong and defiantly way out of my league. I read the reviews and wanted to try it out. It's gonna be a while before I try this one again. But considering other reviews from the more experienced beer drinkers this is a great beer.

One of the best beers.

3.99/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Loved this one! The bitterness is good & strong but not obnoxious or unnecessarily so. The malt profile is clean & balanced with a slight powdered sugar aftertaste. Some strong ales & barleywines are too sweet for my taste but this one pulls off the balance nicely.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Hoppier than some IPA I've tried.

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Awesome beer. Looks good and tastes even better.

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%

I was pleasantly surprise at how delicious this beer was.

4.71/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Love this beer Double is even better.

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This Ale is not for the faint of Heart,it is a very complex Brew,and if your average light beer drinker tried some,they would have their face ripped off,No this Beer is for people who enjoy Strong Ale's and full flavors,and Man OH Man,does this Brew have some gr8 Flavors!Nice and Hoppy,with a Medium ~Heavy mouth Feel,right off the Bat you get that awesome Grapefruit smell and taste,with a nice dash of Piney notes,along with tropical fruits,Carmel,toffee and so much other stuff going on it's as though you pickup something New every time you drink from yer glass,and while 7.2 A.B.V. is not really a high A.B.V. for this type of Ale,it is probably a brew you want to drink @ Home,or if you are out,make sure you have a designated driver or take a cab,because this stuff is so damn drinkable,tasty & plain Delicious,you will want to keep drinking it ,and that 7.2% A.B.V. WILL Catch up to you before you know it, now the double Bastard @ 11% A.B.V. is a real Ass Kicker,...and [IMHO] even Better~Cheers & Peace 2 all;]

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

As soon as I crack open the bottle I instantly can smell the hoppy goodness that is within. As I sip the beer I taste notes of grapefruit. It appears to be a dark amber like color and it definitely goes down very smooth. This is one of my top 5 go to beers that's for sure. Very complex and very good!!

4.53/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Every time I feel that my tastebuds need their asses kicked, this is the beer that I buy. Intensely full flavored and hoppily bottled arrogance. I like to think that I am worthy of such a brutal beer from time to time.

3.6/5  rDev -13.5%

Very coarse both in taste and feel. Heavy blend of both hops and malt. I see this one got some strong ratings but it's not for me. Given that so many people seem to like this one, maybe I'll try it again in a year or two as my tastes continue to change and re-rate at that time.

4.92/5  rDev +18.3%

I don't even wanna write a full review, I just want to say about this is like mana of the gods and every time I've purchased it I have been totally satisfied. I don't even flinch despite the price tag. Drink this

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The bitterness is accompanied by some malty and citrusy sweetness so no one-trick pony. Great with barbecue.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

one of the beers that got me into crafts.. always good

4.2/5  rDev +1%

I preferred the "Oak Aged" variety but no one near me seems too carry it any more. I guess I'm truly not worthy.

4.7/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Okay, you Arrogant Bastard, it's time to get served.

Appearance: Pours a gorgeous copper/brown into a tulip glass. A nice, foamy tan head with decent lacing adorns the crown of the glass.

Aroma: Strong earth tones. A pungent smell, almost like being in a cavern. And there's a cedar-like, forest quality to it as well.

Taste: I was expecting to get knocked on my backside by the hops, but that didn't happen. Instead, the complexity of the flavors slowly rolled over me like a tide. This is a very well-balanced ale. Again, there's that earthy taste to it, along with a gentle carbonation that tickles the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied and bitter on the back end, but not overly so. A nice, almost sandy tingle all the way through.

Overall: "Complex" is generally a word bereft of true meaning, but if you want to get an idea what beer drinkers mean when they say it's "complex," then drink this. The tongue-in-cheek reference to being unworthy because you lack the sophistication to truly appreciate this beer actually comes through. I like it. I am very impressed.

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Very good.. First time in had this. Was not disappointed!

3.71/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Great offering from Stone very hoppy with a dark amber color and strong ESB

I've had this numerous times in pint glasses, snifters and tulips.
Today's review is in a snifter.
The appearance was a hazy golden orange color with a one finger white foamy head that dissipated within seconds leaving some light lacing running here and there around the glass.
The smell, wooeee, wow and hot damn, pure strong bitter hop oils of citrus and pine combining and doing this beer its due service of "strong" alright.
The taste was pure bittersweet bliss of combined citrus and pine. There's a nice big pine oil aftertaste leading to a dry finish.
The mouthfeel sat about a medium on the body with a decent sessionability about it. Actually, wait a minute, eh, perhaps closer to a decent sipping quality about it. Its just that this one really grabs your tongue for a good pummeling that its kinda hard to put down exactly how sessionable this one really is. Its definitely brutal like an AIPA.
Overall, in my opinion, this one does what I believe Stone meant to do, its "arrogance" is bitter but isn't exactly one I'd have with food. Just one makes a good session.

4.06/5  rDev -2.4%

Enjoy by 02/02/15.

Pours a deep ruby red & brown body. Aggressive bitterness and oak smack the palate around a bit. Always a classic.

very bitter with a subtle bite to the cheeks

4.76/5  rDev +14.4%

It's a good beer with a cool bottle. Bitter, hoppy, and buttery.

4.29/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Incredibly bitter with notes of almost chocolate towards the finish.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22oz bomber.

L- Nice dark amber with a creamy, tan head. Heavy lacing tendrils.

S- Mild nose. Hops up front with a malty, dry yeast note.

T- Resiny. Sticks with you. Starts with a spicy caramel note and goes into citrus peel and vanilla. Hard, piney hops everywhere. I can still taste them 5 minutes after my last drink. Not a bad thing.

F- Smooth yet viscous. It's not heavy, but it sticks with you. Medium carbonation.

o- Pleasant and complex. This is why I drink beer.

4.54/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love this beer!

But it's what got me started on craft, so I'm as biased as possible...

Pours a beautiful deep redish brown with a very light tan head. Smell is much more subtle than the name would imply but it gives you just enough hint at what's to come. Taste is where this beer makes its kill move, so smooth yet all the qualities that you want from a complex brew. As an IPA guy I love ther bitter bite at the end. Overall, this is my favorite beer, it's the beer I would constantly have fresh on tap in my house if possible.

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.