2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Ratings: 7,478 | Reviews: 2,740 | Show All Ratings:
Dreizhen

Georgia

3.48/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Beautiful. One of the prettiest beers I've ever seen. Deep, redish brown, one finger of head, slowly dissipating. Steady bubbles, slightly hazy, but still translucent.

S: Light, hoppy, small citrus. Not much going on here.

T: Completely different story, here. Hops and malt both blast you in the face, more bitter than the citrus hinted at by the nose. Good if you're a fan of bitterness.

M: Smooth, slight bite, decent carbonation.

O: A very solid beer. I enjoy it, but I wouldn't drink a lot of it. Like Campari or some other bitter amaro, an occasional glass to sip is a fantastic break from the normal. However, it wouldn't be my go to on a regular basis. Definitely worth trying, though.

08-28-2013 21:13:01 | More by Dreizhen
EmperorBevis

United Kingdom (England)

4.09/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Darker than I expected, almost cola brown with huge multi sized bubble off white head

Not a big nose, hints of candy floss and mashed potato slight notes of pewter

Big flavours though starting with toffee then some dark fruits before the hops warm up
and once they start going, blimey they don't stop slight citrus but extremely bitter becoming pine and almost menthol by the end

Flawless mouthfeel, solid stuff without being heavy going or stodgy and just perfect carbonation.

This is Great stuff, not for the faint hearted but great big taste beer action.

08-24-2013 22:10:22 | More by EmperorBevis
Drewster23

Connecticut

4.11/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a nice clear amber with a nice head. Head stays for a while then thins out as you drink. Lacing remains on glass.

S - Light on the smell. Malty and lightly hopped. Pleasant, but not overpowering.

T - Dry, and hoppy right off the bat. Malty and light mocha/dark chocolate to nutty at the finish. Bitterness of the hops goes and goes.

M - Good feel in mouth. More on the thicker side, but not chewy. Smooth and velvety. carbonation is balanced.

O - Will buy again. Good everyday drinker. Great on its own and I would imagine nice with something grilled. Picturing a glass of this with a burger seems right.

08-24-2013 21:49:04 | More by Drewster23
BethanyB

3.56/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: A dark, clear amber with strong ruby highlights, and a smooth and creamy tan head with moderate retention.

Smell: Gently roasted dark malt, with a subtle chocolate quality. Hop aroma is light and earthy.

Taste: The taste is in line with the smell: Roasted nuts, light mocha, and resinous hops. The bitterness is strong, and lasts well into the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light mouthfeel, with a crisp, carbonic bite. It's the type of mouthfeel I would expect from a light lager, and it seems to thin out the taste. Alcohol warming is light.

Overall: Like a stronger, slightly less flavorful, highly carbonated porter. Well done, but not an ale that particularly peaks my interest. I was expecting more, due to its popularity. If I wanted this level of bitterness, I would go with an IPA.

08-22-2013 17:56:42 | More by BethanyB
XXVII

4.63/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: dark amber with a thick frothy head

Smell: woody with a malting as that is sweet and lingers

Taste: oak and a subtle smoke followed by sweetness and finally a malty bitterness tht lingers lastly

Mouthfeel: feels much lighter than it looks. Leaves a slight stickiness on my lips

Overall: very good ale. I will be adding this to my regular purchases. A good change of pace from the normal high hoppiness I've been smashing regularly.

08-21-2013 00:58:15 | More by XXVII
Tonmeister

Georgia

3.84/5  rDev -8.1%

Served in Tulip Shaped Glass

Appearance: dark red, dark amber, with a thick off-white, reddish head and lots of lacing when tilting the glass.

Smell: apple, bread notes, yeasty, dark fruits like plum and grapes with a blend of alcohol

Taste: fairy sweet. Nice fruity notes with a nice malty blend. Can't taste the alcohol.

Mouthfeel: medium with moderate carbonation.

Overall: I'm very pleased with this American Strong Ale. It's not really as "aggressive as i thought it would be. It definitely has a perfect blend. Not really malty, but more on the dark fruit side. I would definitely buy this again and again and again.

08-18-2013 03:31:03 | More by Tonmeister
powerss13

Kansas

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

ST: Bottle poured into a glass

A: Darker hazy amber, almost rusty look; good head and lacing

S: Light on the hop aroma; definitely get more of the malts

T: Rich and complex; get a real good hop flavor throughout from upfront to the finish; Get a good amount of malt up front, then the hop takes over at finish; Hides the alcohol level very well

MF: Light on the body; starts off soft, then finishes dry making you want more

O: Outstanding brew. Great beer for anytime of the year/season. Also, their marketing is awesome...."It's not too expensive, you're too cheap."

08-12-2013 15:48:26 | More by powerss13
DavidS88

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is the second time I've had Arrogant Bastard. The first time, I'll admit, I was too much of an amateur beer drinker to really get into what this beer offers. But this time... well let's just say I'm so impressed that I'm writing this review before I've actually finished drinking my latest pint. I'll be honest, this isn't my favorite beer ever, but it certainly is one of the more complex beers I've had. Let me start by saying that this is a beautiful beer. Dark copper with plenty of hints of ruby make this a complex beer from the second you pour it and gaze into it's depths. Topped off by a lovely tannish-white head with lots of lacing down the glass, Arrogant Bastard looks fantastic. The smell regardless of what temperature you drink this bad boy at is also wonderful, probably the second best aspect of this beer. Sweet malts of carmel and toffee mix with citrus and piney hops to create an enticing smell. I mentioned temperature when discussing the smell because the last time I had Arrogant Bastard, I drank it too cold; it was so excited to drink one of the most highly-touted beers in the country that I split it with a friend and drank it far too quickly to let it reach the proper drinking temperature and subsequently could only taste tons of bitter hops. This time, I let it sit a bit longer, letting it come up to just below room temperature and man, did the complexity come out with a good measure of sweet malts quickly kicked in the ass by a ton of hops. Coming it at 7.2% ABV and being quite a complex beer, this is still pretty easy to drink once it warms up a bit and isn't so damn hoppy. This definitely can't be an everyday beer for me, but my God is this wonderful. Cheers!

08-11-2013 01:28:57 | More by DavidS88
leaddog

Alberta (Canada)

4.43/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Pours a warm chestnut brown with two fingers of dense, frothy beige head.

Smell - Caramel and toffee notes, malts, piney hops, tropical fruit.

Taste - Piney hop bitterness along with caramel and toffee malts, tropical fruit, and a hint of roasted nuttiness. Nice bitter finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Overall - A damn tasty American strong ale by Stone. Glad I found a bottle on my road trip. Excellent flavour palate - a nice surprise from the roasted nut characteristic.

08-05-2013 03:49:43 | More by leaddog
Vierenner

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

Hard to believe I'm finally trying this beer ... it would seem such a quality product would have come across my radar already.

My only negative comment relates to the high level of hoppiness. I believe this beer would be even better (in my opinion) with the hops toned down a bit. It seems lots of interesting flavors and aromas are being masked.

Color, head, and mouthfeel are top-notch!

07-31-2013 23:18:29 | More by Vierenner
BlurryVisi0n

4.21/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Served in a snifter.

Appearance: A very dark transparent amber with heavy bubbles on the body. The head is off-white with a slightly orange tint rising to maybe 1/3".

Smell: A really nice aroma, strong hops becomes pretty addicting, not much more else to say.

Taste: A strong bitter floral taste...smooth hops, comes off complex but still one dimensional. Bitter-smoothness feels like multi-grain, and a pinch of sourness that is just right.

Mouth: Sharp and crisp toasty bread finish with a medium to heavy carbonation....not exactly perfect but just right.

Overall: As many times as i drank this I always thought I gave it a review, now five hundred plus reviews later I am giving this beer what's due. For roughly seven to eight bucks a bottle at your local spot definitely beyond well worth it. I like it's big brother(Double Bastard) a little better but every beer has it's occasion. A blessing to have...Salud!

07-31-2013 05:21:10 | More by BlurryVisi0n
BurlesqueRadio

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Levitation was the first brew I'd ever had from Stone (great beer-surprisingly low alcohol content, consistent on tap & yet seemingly impossible to find in the southeast) followed by Arrogant Bastard. The first time I ever tasted it was on liter night at Crowbar, a favorite local dive, although one of the worst places to try a beer for the first time.

The conditions were terrible, the carbonation on the beer mediocre (I was sloshing it around in the giant liter cups they gave us for what must have been 30 minutes before finishing it).

I felt like I needed to give the beer another chance, and I'm glad I did.
Strong malt presence, strong alcohol presence, intense hops. What a perfect trio. I consider this one of my favorite beers to date, and it's one of the first craft brews I was introduced to.

07-30-2013 02:23:41 | More by BurlesqueRadio
Caj1

4.54/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I thought "Why the hell not?" last night and bought the 22oz. bomber with the characteristic arrogant gargoyle on the front and freshness date printed on the shoulder of the bottle (09/28/13, we're good). I was kind of surprised to see this at my local Kroger supermarket. Who'd have thought the supermarket would have any craft beer worth drinking at all? At the time of this writing, I am reviewing this as I drink. Bottoms up.

I popped the top in this bad boy and poured it into my trusty pint glass, where I got a very nice, rich, relatively clear ruby brown with a very small amount of haze (from the hops maybe?), small yet numerous carbonation bubbles rising lazily to the surface and two fingers of creamy head that takes its time to dissipate; five minutes after the pour and there's still about a finger of head, good sign. There's a lot of lacing at first, but instead of sticking to the side of the glass it slides back down into the beer. That's alright, no points off here. The immediate scent is of fruity, citrusy hops, some estery notes, a touch of grass and grapefruit; this reminds me of how a standard IPA first smells, except there's more bready malt scent. Speaking of malt, the beer smells wonderfully sweet with just a hint of a toast and some caramel that bursts through the initial hops scent. There's also a little bit of yeast (not a great deal at all, just a tiny bit) and likewise a tiny bit of alcohol buried deep in this complex bouquet of beer smell.

Taking the first sip now and all I can think is that the description on the back of the bottle did not lie at all, this is a very complex beer with a lot of depth and character. It's warmed up a few degrees and the taste follows suit with the smell, hops are the initial taste. God, I can taste those hops oils quite nicely, fruity, piney, grassy and bitter, but not overwhelmingly so. A little bit of alcohol and carbonation sting is present on the tongue after a moment, but it's not a big deal. After a few seconds there's some hops spiciness that takes its time working to the front of the palate. The flavor of the hops mellows a bit after the swallow, and the malt comes through in the aftertaste, very sweet and kind of sticky. A little bit of caramel, but not a whole lot. I'm a little bit surprised to say that the malt takes its sweet time coming to the forefront. I want to say it's smothered by the hops, but at the same time it isn't; it's simply satisfied to take a mellow backseat to the hops flavor. About a minute after swallowing the beer the malt comes through with more strength and sweetness, and the hops weaken a bit until only their most floral pine and grass notes remain, and they linger quite nicely on the tongue. A little bit longer and the biscuit and caramel flavors predominate, with just a hint of grass left. The mouthfeel is in the light-medium range, clean and a little bit oily from the hops, plus a little bit of alcohol burn. The sugar from the malt and head makes the lips a little bit sticky, no big deal really. It goes down smooth and is a joy to drink all around.

This, gentlemen (and ladies) is a damn fine beer. I have a hard time finding anything to complain about at all, and the only thing that I really didn't fully enjoy, the fact that it's not quite sweet enough, is more a matter of personal taste in my opinion. Don't be offput by this arrogant bastard, because his attitude is really more of a façade to hide the rich and decadently complex character and flavor profile beneath. I will definitely be placing Stone's beers on my to drink list.

Cheers to good health and good beer.

07-29-2013 04:19:20 | More by Caj1
dmgeng

Indiana

4.18/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Heard lots of good things and was a pretty cheap bomber at $5.

A - Deep ruby, chestnut color. Clear with course off-white head and normal lacing.

S - Moderate aroma with hops, malt, alcohol, and some caramel tones.

T - Full flavored brew with a strong and complex flavor. It has a significant bitter hop character that hits the palate first and stays but there is also caramel, malt, raisin and alcohol. Pungent bitterness from the Chinook but with the strong maltiness and caramel flavor it doesn't hurt the tongue. I also tasted some oxidation but the enjoy by date on the bottle was only up by 2 days so could just be a fluke.

M - Very heavy mouth-feel for just a 7.2% ABV but is due to the high content of cara-malt. The carbonation also wasn't too strong so that made it seem a little heavier. There was a lingering finish with bitterness, malt, and alcohol.

Overall, a beer style that I've never tasted before. Great aroma, flavor, feel, appearance, but definitely won't be my go to or won't be my favorite brew but still drinkable. This brew is tasty, complex, and everything a big beer should be. I definitely understand the name now.

Glass- Craft pub glass

07-28-2013 04:07:37 | More by dmgeng
Bill_Murray

Louisiana

1.5/5  rDev -64.1%

So they said on the label that I probably would not like that beer, and man were they right. Poured from the bottle into a glass. Here's what I got out of it before the drain pour.

A- looks a reddish copper color, decent head, not bad

S- Smells like the same piney crap that is all the rage; smells like the reason I avoid IPAs

T--A lot going on. Pine up front, decent in the middle and a crappy grapefruit after taste that makes me want to stop and brush my teeth rather than take another sip

M- Taste so bad, I couldn't focus on mouthfeel

O- Interesting bottle, it worked well enough to get me to buy it. Product sucked.

07-23-2013 12:40:20 | More by Bill_Murray
SSS

Quebec (Canada)

I love this beer, hop-sensation

A-Amber brown with a red tint, head was nice while it lasted
S-Feint malt, all hops
T-Glorious, hops and more hops, a timid sweet start, and then bitter hops, there is also a weak roasted tone
M-Carbonation is perfect, smooth and drinkable.

Highly recommend for all IPA lovers.

07-22-2013 21:45:42 | More by SSS
Direx

4.44/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Bloody crimson copper is the color. THICK head, only the head along the edge of the glass dissipates, creating mushroom cloud-like structure in the center of the glass. This is gonna be good.

S: Smells really great, hoppy. Is this a double red ale? Nah it's hoppier. Smells like cedar, desert rose underneath those hops. Maybe a pinch of brown sugar.

T: Double ale at least. DAMN this brew is good, woody, bitter, VERY hoppy. I think there is a sweet fruit in here trying to hold back the tide of intensity, perhaps a lone strawberry. The balance, intensity and synergy of this ale is simply off the charts. The refined quality of this brew reminds me of when I tasted Stone Ruination Ale (for the first time) during a blind tasting. A clear winner. Is that Pinyon Pine? Do they brew these in Desert Oak barrels or am I crazy? Something different here.

M: Hops OVERLOAD (but in a good way). This ale really challenges you to take it all in. Just pummels you.

O: A balanced, refined and STRONG ale that really challenges you. In-your-face, never-gonna-stop attitude with a few different flavors & scents that come together nicely and keep it interesting. Intensely eloquent.

07-17-2013 04:01:54 | More by Direx
CCStix

4.64/5  rDev +11%

Growing up in San Diego and going to Cal State San Marcos, Stone has been a staple in my life. There once was a time back in my freshman year of college (2002) when I was not worthy. My Fraternity insisted on kegs of arrogant bastard and my palate was not adept to the wonderfulness that is this beer. These days all I got to say is damn I love this beer. Over the past decade I have always looked forward the to malty, burned sugar, and hoppy nose. The color is a fantastic deep red. The flavor is plenty malty, with nice caramel tones, and a nice strong bitterness. Think a Doppelbock DIPA. It's rad! The mouthfeel is a little over carbonated but I won't dock them any points for that. Give it a try!

07-17-2013 03:40:23 | More by CCStix
Abilow33

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Different taste but really good. The more I taste it the better it tastes. I don't know if not having their name on the label is a gimmick but I think I would tell everyone about how good this beer tastes. This company has been very consistent with quality.

07-17-2013 00:59:54 | More by Abilow33
woodychandler

4.19/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

There are several ironies afoot here. First, as a long-time reviewer with over 2,300 reviews under my belt, I have not reviewed this one until now, despite its being one of the most reviewed beers on this site. Second, I HAVE reviewed Double Bastard, which leaves me scratching my head.

From the bottle: Let's come back to that as an edit. I want to drink some beer. "'You're Not Worthy'"; "ar-ro-gance (ar o gans) n. The act or quality of being arrogant; haughty; undue assumption; overbearing conceit."; "This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory - maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it's made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this."; "At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth on an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged they tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale ... even outright attempts to copy it ... but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!"; "Ingredients: Nothing but the finest barley, most aggressive hops, clearest water, our proprietary yeast strain and abundant arrogance."; "QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS? If you don't like this, keep it to yourself - we don;t want to hear from any sniveling yellow-swill-drinkin' wimps, 'cause Arrogant Bastard wasn't made for you."

Larry, the former bartender at Hemingway's in the Oakland section of Pittsburgh, used to refer to this as "The Medicine" because no matter how bad a day (or morning) you might be having, he believed that this would put you "on the Recovery Trail". Ha! He once put down an affluent customer who was waffling over Bud Light, Coors Light or Miller Lite the morning of the guy's daughter's graduation as I looked on, amused as hell, and he poured himself a draught of "The Medicine". Larry, this one's for you!

My pour created just over a finger of dense, foamy, tawny head that sat atop the beer in arrogant defiance of my desire to begin drinking. Color was a garnet-red with NE-quality clarity. Nose was ticklish with its inherent heat along with a toffee-like sweetness. I felt as though I might sneeze for a moment. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full and the heat of the alcohol felt as though it were evaporating on my tongue. I may not be worthy of this beer! Getting past that, I began to take in flavors of anise; dried, dark fruit; caramel/toffee and an odd mintiness. Finish was dry, to the point that it was making me sweat and tear up involuntarily. I could only bow in deference to its glorious intensity. Make sure that you know what you are getting into if you open a bottle of Bastard!

07-15-2013 23:42:21 | More by woodychandler
AmishLightning

3.49/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I had this Bastard on Tap at a respectable Irish pub in Decatur, IL.

A- The color scheme for this brew had me questioning myself if I ad it right. The bottom of the glass seemed to be significantly lighter than the top of the glass. The bottom had a deep cherry red color and was quite clear. The top seemed to be almost black and a tad bit cloudy. One finger head that dissipated to thin lacing after letting it sit for a minute of two.

S-Hops was prevalent in the nose. that was the dominant scent while I felt I had some traces of caramel malts and toffee. Smell was consistent throughout the warming of the beer.

T-Hops baby, and damn was there a bunch of it. I am more of a stout and porter fellow and tonight was an exploration into the bitter world of hops. Well I had an experience. I couldn't necessary pick out any other flavors in the beer other than its overwhelming bitterness. There may have been a trace of coffee aftertaste. The bitter just sat in the back of your mouth and didn't leave, quite pronounced.

M-Hard carbonation and a nice thick beer; the kind you scoop out of the glass.

O-I had a ride on the hopsmobile. I don't know if I will be so willing to hop on again. However, that is just due to preference.

07-12-2013 03:22:20 | More by AmishLightning
JohnnyKuhl

4.78/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

22 Oz bottle poured into pint glass.

Appearance: Very dark brown with hints of dark red and a hint of orange.

Smell: Hop heavy, but not overpowering. Slightly earthy, pine, and caramel.

Taste: The hops want to be overpowering, but with the sweet malts it is extremely balanced.

Mouthfeel: A little too carbonated for my particular taste, but that's just me.

Overall: One of my favorite beers. For novice beer drinkers, it will be a little overpowering, but once you're palate starts evolving, you can't go wrong with it.

07-03-2013 06:25:32 | More by JohnnyKuhl
Act25

4.66/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

22 oz bomber poured into a Leffe Chalice.

A - Beautiful mahogany, ruby, red-brown. Much darker than amber. Tan, deep, dense finger of head, which lasts and laces in a picture perfect arc around the glass. Near perfect look. Devilish color, dark but clear.

S - Completely superior to every other strong ale I have tried. First, it's hoppier than malty, followed by biscuit, fruit, raisin, earth, dirt . Hints of citrus peel. Esters and alcohol as expected in 7.2% ABV. Complex meditation beer, without being strange or wobbly.

T- Unlike Scottish or strong ales, there's more of a double IPA feel. Roasty maltiness first, followed by a wash of bitter hops to complete the arc. More of a strong, deep, sweet DOUBLE IPA. IPA drinkers will like this, the hop finish lingers and is powerful and leaves your mouth content.

It finishes sweet, with caramel, coffee, chocolate, and toffee, and sweet grass... Which plays balance with the hop bitterness. Without any cloying or over done sweetness, tho, it's woody and nutty all the way. This is my first taste of a perfectly balanced Strong Ale.

M - Medium to full bodied, well carbonated. Nicely balanced, great finish. Leaves your mouth in a great place, great finish to the evening. End on the ABA. Wet & oily from hops.

O - This is a peak beer experience, 1 to take if you get banished to the moon.

PS - I have come back to ABA 3x since my review and every time it's perfectly consistent, and I've tried the oaked ABA - also great and in your face. Stone & ABA are top experiences. Must try.

06-29-2013 02:33:47 | More by Act25
SebD

Ontario (Canada)

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: It has a nice dark redish/brown color to it. It has a nice beige head that dies down moderately and leaves nice lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitely give out hints of piney resins, some citrus, sweet caramelly malts, some nuttiness and some bready notes.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a piney bitterness, faint citrus, sweet caramel, toasty malts, some nuts and some breadiness.

Mouthfeel: It has a medium carbonation with a very nice overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with great flavors and aromas.

06-28-2013 21:56:24 | More by SebD
FLima

Brazil

4.39/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured a murky brown color with an intense beige thin head but with a decent retention and leaving laces.
Nice citrusy aroma with hints of passion fruit. Notes of pine, earth and biscuit malt.
Flavor of grapefruit with citric and earthy notes, caramel and roasted malts. Hints of yeast spices, pine and dark fruits.
Quite dry aftertaste with an insisting bitterness.
Medium body with a good carbonation. Alcohol of 7.2% ABV is completely out of the picture.
Excellent beer, flavorful, refreshing, very well balanced and not too sweet as it happens sometimes to some hoppy beers. Original taste and very assertive. It did not come across heavy as I was expecting.
I am curious to try the oak version that I bought earlier on.

06-27-2013 20:41:54 | More by FLima
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.