2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Ratings: 7,489 | Reviews: 2,740 | Show All Ratings:
Stingray5

4.18/5  rDev 0%

Smells of strong hops, pine trees. The aromas were escaping from the bottle before I got the cap all the way off. I could just sit here and smell this all day were it not for my desire to drink it so badly.

It poured a very dark brownish amber with a creamy tan head that's still slightly present halfway down the glass. Mouthful is substantial. Smooth yet aggressive, rich malt flavors followed by extreme bitter hops and a nice alcohol warmth. A little on the harsh side with raw hops, but I can't say I wasn't warned..

05-29-2003 18:42:44 | More by Stingray5
PhantomVodoo

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

Dark amber in color. This pint had very minimal tan head. A better head and appearance would have scored 4.5.
Nice aroma mostly of floral hops. Malts and fruitiness underneath.

Nice level of bitterness to the taste. Big, sweet malt backbone with a toasty, caramel character. Floral hops chime in nicely. I'm torn between giving the taste a 4.0 or 4.5. Depends on my mood I guess. Sometimes I really enjoy this beer, while sometimes I think the taste is a bit too bitter.

Good mouthfeel. Plenty of body.
Good drinkability.

Overall, a good beer with lots of character. I'm puzzled why I hadn't managed to review this one on BA yet.

05-24-2003 07:22:29 | More by PhantomVodoo
LarryKemp

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

This beer came with a fair head covering a semi cloudy brownish red liquid. I did not start with a good impression. I was suspecting an overpowering hops aroma and taste, but was pleasantly surprised. The hops were in the forefront in both the nose and the tongue, but the malt characteristics were not left out. The bitterness started the taste and clung to the tongue a long time after the beer had been swallowed. The mouthfeel was moderate with a fair amount of carbonation. It was probably the hops and not the bubbles that tickled the tongue. I am looking forward to enjoying my next glass of Bastard and would recommend it highly.

05-22-2003 13:11:20 | More by LarryKemp
Indybeer

Indiana

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%

What can I say, this is my first experience with Stone Brewing company. And I have to go out and get myself a bomber of Arrogant Bastard Ale! Why? Because the bottle told me that "You're not worthy" and well, I really like a challange!

This thing pours a dark red/brown, with a nice head that slowly recedes. The aroma was very malty with very noticable hops mixed in there. After the first taste, for a minute there I really though that they were right, and I wasn't worthy, but then the flavors really started to came out. I'm not one for most highly hopped beers, but this is one, really complex beer, that I really came to enjoy by the time the bomber was empty.

05-20-2003 18:59:19 | More by Indybeer
WaltTrombone

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

My 1st Bastard, and not to be my last! It poured a dark red-brown, with a small khaki head. Scads of fine lace. The aroma was mostly malt, with hop notes. The taste was grapefruit, hops, with a light caramel note. Mouthfeel was smooth, not oily, even with all the hops. The finish was hops bitterness and grapefruit. Not so much Arrogant, as aggressive, but not so hoppy that the bitterness overwhelms.

05-17-2003 13:49:34 | More by WaltTrombone
powoo19

I loved the bottle and the name and that is the ultimate reason why I bought this.Well that and it was just 2.99 for the giant bottle at Macy's in West Roxbury. I liked the smell and the reddish color, although I drank it straight from the bottle out of a paper bag. Old skool!. The taste was good, a bit bitter and metalic but not too bad. The aftertaste was pleasent and the bottle looks nice in my collection. Drink this beer in a paper bag, on the front stoop, on a milk crate while playing craps and you won't be disappointed!
Happy Drinking

05-16-2003 05:22:49 | More by powoo19
GreatPondBrewer

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

I could take it no further. After 3 days of sitting my growler had to be opened. After an initial smell and taste a few people readily came to mind that fit the description of this Ale. Bombastic, arrogant, however all of those people are lacking the intricacy that Stone Brewing has accomplished with this beer. The head was thick, foamy resembling the color of coffee with cream just added. The only clear part of the body of the beer was right at the base of the glass. The rest had a substantial, murky, red cloud hanging. The smell was infinitely complex with such varied aromas as coffee, HUGE hops, grapefruit and toffee interweaving. The taste watered my mouth, leaving me wanting more. It was super hoppy with a big robust citrus flavor and some more subtle smoked notes mixed in. Although the appearance was not as spectacular as the Bigfoot the taste was far more refined, truly being able to claim the name Arrogant.

05-15-2003 16:43:16 | More by GreatPondBrewer
longpondbeerman

Maine

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%

Murky reddish brown with a light chocolate head. Intricate lace dripping down the side of the glass like a Dali painting. Definitively complex smell, hoppy and tangy. Same with the taste; there's nothing subtle about this brew. Significant endurance as the aftertaste reflects back the tanginess on the back of the tongue.

05-15-2003 15:01:06 | More by longpondbeerman
jlervine

Georgia

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

A few weeks ago, I drove from Atlanta to Chattanooga to obtain some > 6% abv beers - a few trappists, some Stone Brewing Co. beers, and basically whatever else I could find and possible afford. I went up there with a $50 limit to my purchases, and came back with $150 worth of beer. What can I say, I am weak. Nevertheless, the 5 hour trip netted a few choice brews. This is one of them.

So I finally get around to drinking an Arrogant Bastard. I figure, a beer named after what people tend to call me has to be fantastic, right?

AB poured a nice crystal clear amber with a thick creamy head. Bready aromas and hops - almost a piney or cut-grass smell - rose up from my glass. The taste followed suit - very piney and green - methinks I should have aged this bottle for a few months. Big on hops. Big on malt, once you look past the hops. Not too hoppy for my tastes, but this beer was just simply too young.

05-11-2003 19:18:59 | More by jlervine
UncleJimbo

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

22 oz brown bomber bottle, no frehness date. The bottle says to keep refridgerated, but I found this best served only slightly below room temperature.

This ale poured a clear, red-amber color with tall, creamy, tan foam that left lace on the pint glass. The smell was biscuity (bread) with citrus, malt, floral hops aromas. There was a crispness to the smell. The taste was dominated by malt sweetness, but with floral hops, oak, grapefruit, pine, some aromatic tastes, and a bit of caramel thrown in. The mouthfeel was smooth but crisp with a hoppy astringency. The body was medium and so was the carbonation. This is a very drinkable strong ale. Very nice with a good kick!

05-11-2003 12:35:42 | More by UncleJimbo
Dogbrick

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

Tried this on draught at Barley's Smokehouse. This is just one of those beers that is so unique and difficult to categorize that it is always a pleasure to drink. Pours a deep dark reddish brown with a thin and foamy beige head. Thin lacing. Aroma is alternatingly floral, fruity (citrus mostly), and malty. Medium-bodied and tart, with flavors of citrus, caramel, malt and pine. Complex yet easy to drink, with a nice strong and bitter finish.

05-09-2003 08:29:14 | More by Dogbrick
Dantes

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

Presentation: ~10oz. from draught in a tulip glass at The Blind Tiger’s Stone 12 event. Cost: $5.

Appearance: Hard to distinguish from the Double Bastard and lighter than the oak-aged version. A beer that shows its lovely red-amber color very nicely in the glass. Capped with a medium-thick ½” of foam, which lasted very nearly through the glass.

Smell: An aroma leaning more heavily toward the hoppy end of the spectrum, while still displaying a nice fruity, malty scent.

Taste: The alcohol seemed more prevalent in the AB than the DB, which surprised me. Perhaps it was the thinner body and more dominant hops. Somehow avoided becoming medicinal as some highly-hopped beers sometimes do. Less well-balanced and sharper than the DB, but exhibited a greater degree of spice.

Mouthfeel: Not as creamy as the Double Bastard, it is still a warming, smooth beer that fills the mouth with a nice effervescence that carries the wide range of flavors.

Drinkability: Nicely drinkable. Clean, hoppy, and refreshing; while providing a boatload of flavor and deeper, malty notes.

I hesitate to call this “Double Bastard Lite,” but in a sense, this is what it is. This by no means is intended to be derogatory. The AB sacrifices some body and malt in the interest of providing a lower ABV. A noble goal that! I go back and forth as to which one I prefer and have decided that I probably lean toward the DB, but I wouldn’t turn this down. I do find the hops a bit more oppressive here, but this only results in a more refreshing, cleaner beer. I urge you find out for yourself! This is one of the few highly-hopped beers I truly enjoy, falling closer to the Sierra Nevada Celebration than Rogue’s 60-Minute IPA or Stone’s own Ruination.

Bottom Line: No need to question the parentage of this beer. It clearly is the spawn of Satan himself!

05-08-2003 12:56:38 | More by Dantes
SheepNutz

Kentucky

4.93/5  rDev +17.9%

I had this wonderful brew in 22oz. form poured into a tulip glass. The color is a super deep ruby red, probably the deepest red hue I've ever seen. This color is just breathtaking. The pour gives a good 1 finger of head, that fades away to a small line very slowly, and leaves a fair amount of lace down the glass as I drink it. The smell wasn't what I expected. It had a sweet fruitiness to it, which was very pleasantly mixed with hop aroma. The taste starts off sweet, with a bite of citrus, grapefruit I'm thinking. The finish is all hops, but not too bitter. This is a beer that is in perfect malt/hop harmony. I really love it. The mouthfeel is a little soft for a strong ale though. The drinkability of this beer is very high, even at 7.2%ABV. I wish I wouldn't have bought the store's last bottle!

05-08-2003 07:31:28 | More by SheepNutz
BierReise

3.18/5  rDev -23.9%

Poured a beautiful dark amber color with a nice fluffy orangy-beige head. Piney, citrusy hoppy fragrance smells great. Very velvety feel, very smooth on the palate and tasting very bitter with almost an ESB type of bitterness to it that lingers for quite awhile. In fact it doesn't want to let go. Real nice malt but obviously overpowered by bitterness. Name suits it well, arrogantly bitter. Bitter Bitter Bitter!

05-03-2003 21:25:22 | More by BierReise
Admiraldinty

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

22 oz. bomber. Pours a dark brownish-red with a big, frothy off-white head. Aroma is of lemon-grass and lots of citrus. Hop bitterness and toasted malt. Taste is pretty much the same. Starts out with the citrusy bitterness, and ends with the malts. Very crisp to start, but ends somewhat smooth. Has a great warming effect. This is an oh so complex brew, and should be respected. Definitely a once in a while brew.

04-30-2003 15:48:00 | More by Admiraldinty
JohnnyDuvel

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

Well, I finally got to try my first Stone beer (thanks, Ron), and it was, at the same time, predictable and unpredictable. Predictable in the sense that every overly hyped micro ale I have tried is way too hopped (ie Rogue, Victory). Unpredictable in the sense that it is darker and maltier than I expected. Wonderful, citrus smell entices you (much like the Rogue IPA). Pours beautiful. Dark, mohogany hue, nice head, and impressive lacing. Then you take a sip. Hops. Hops. After a while, the malty notes appear. It is certainly a complex beer, but the bitterness just is too dominant to let any other characteristic (particularly that nice citrus taste that's hiding in there) truly appear. It seems that the only way an American micro-ale can get attention these days is to go nuts with hops. I followed this (and the Rogue IPA) with a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and I don't care if people lined up from here to California to swear on the Stone and Rogue, the Sierra is a better beer (IMHO).

(1/2/09) Oh, how foolish we are when we are just learning! The Bastard is one of the best (and most unique) American ales I've had - and I like the Oak even a little better. Funny to read the old reviews before the palate became more refined!

04-29-2003 22:44:58 | More by JohnnyDuvel
allboutbierge

Austria

4.72/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Well, tomorrow is last day of classes and I meant to save my baby for then. But, not paying attention, I accidently grabbed this from my fridge when I meant to grab a Koch's and I had opened this before I realized it. Oh well...

My tongue is in spasim. This is my kinda beer. Big, rich, full, dark, and flavor packed--especially in bittering qualities. Notes of grapefruit, lemon, bittersweet spices, etc overwhelm the taste buds. Mellowing carmel malts take some off this bastards bite, but it is still one mean beer. Warming yet fitting for a nice spring day...one bomber is all thats needed to take the stress of four classes off my mind. With that in mind Im gonna cut this review short. While I do love writing reviews its too pretty outside and I have a far too good of a beer not to be outside enjoying both.

one last word--WOW--Gonna give every effort to track down a sample of the double bastard once I go home.

WOW

04-28-2003 11:58:25 | More by allboutbierge
elmocoso

4.58/5  rDev +9.6%

With every drink there seems to be a virtual carnival on the tongue, and I don’t mean the kind with dirty Carnie meth-heads putting together highly mechanical equipment after a long night of screwing the Penny-toss gal that helped to score him some crank. I’m talking about a little kid walking down the Midway his first time, holding his fathers hand and thinking that if there is a god, he must run a carnival, because this truly IS what life is all about.

This is the first time I have drank this beer and I am in love with it. It is Sexy and Seductive and I am the bumbling virgin who has stumbled into its trap. I think I need a cigarette.

04-24-2003 06:13:47 | More by elmocoso
bditty187

Nebraska

4.63/5  rDev +10.8%

Dark cherry red hue with brownish highlights, there was almost two fingers of beige head. The retention was excellent. As I quaffed this nectar plenty of sticky lace was produced. The nose is a magnificent blend of sweet caramel malts and very assertive hops. The aroma has great potency. The invitation of the bouquet accurately portrays what awaits the palate; plenty of critic/grapefruit notes, pleasantly harsh, bitter. Oh yeah the hops govern or so it seems! The sweet caramel malts are not forgotten. The alcohol stands alone, stark naked, and imposing in its manhood. The forwardness is well conceived and adds tremendous complexity and enjoyment. The lingering acidicness and bitterness begs your senses to take another sip and I gladly did. It is almost full-bodied, ideally firm carbonated. This is a perfectly powerful quaff. I wish I had another or a dozen!

Thank you Morris729 for this awesome beer!

04-21-2003 13:51:23 | More by bditty187
Thrasher

Oregon

3.53/5  rDev -15.6%

Growler from Half Time. Dark amber, small head from growler pour. An insanely bitter, malty beer. Hops of course are the dominant flavor, so tart and bitter, but they also become fruity and bolster the caramel sweetness from the malts. Still if you don't like bitter beers you probably won't enjoy this. I like them generally, and enjoyed this beer, but a growler is perhaps too much of a good thing. Also the hop bitterness aroused my appetite (as hoppy beers are wont to do), but when it came time to eat something my taste buds were completely stripped from the beer. Good velvety mouthfeel, long astringent finish. An interesting, but not exactly useful beer.

04-16-2003 12:36:35 | More by Thrasher
dwarbi

4.22/5  rDev +1%

Pours with a nice, thick head. very resilient. Rich, dark amber color...can't wait to taste it!
First I'll smell it.... mmm. Smells pretty good. Spicy. Not as much as I like there, but very pleasant aroma.
There it is. Spicy taste. Hoppy, but not offensively.
Not as thick and cakey as other beers like it (a plus) , so a good mouthfeel, and very drinkable. Wish I had more.
It's too bad I'm not worthy, though.

04-15-2003 18:26:24 | More by dwarbi
marburg

3.83/5  rDev -8.4%

Great color -- liquid pennies! A reddish copper in color with a piney, caramel, household cleaner kind of aroma to it. In short, you know that this shit will take the paint off the side of your house.

The taste is like a piece of some crazy candy that a lot of kids eat -- extreme! With kids, it might be a sour gumball that starts sweet and then destroys you with overwhelming sourness. In the case of this beer, it starts malty sweet and then just LEVELS you with hop bitterness. Frankly, I don't think the flavor is terribly complex. It's just an intentional exercise in extremism, which is fine -- but almost by definition cannot really be exceptional.

My friend and fiancee, both beer drinkers, couldn't stomach their portion of the 22oz bottle. And they're both pretty tolerant (even loving!) of beers with a lot of flavor. In this case, however, they couldn't drink it. It's a bit extreme to be drinking in significant quantities.

Definitely tasty, definitely good, but I'm not sure that this is something I'd drink often.

04-11-2003 06:18:55 | More by marburg
francisweizen

Arizona

4.85/5  rDev +16%

Notes: The drinkability suffers due to the high alcohol content and the mouthfeel is a bit harsh...

This beer is perfect! Thanks to Morris729 for the sample. I have no idea why I have waited so long to try this beer, but I have tried it now! This beer poured a beautiful, dark, blood-red colour with a awesome head. This beer had the wonderful aromas of heavy, bready malts, and mouth-puckering, citrus-like, hops! The taste was of heavy hops and heavy malts in perfect harmony. The hops in this beer were extremely citrusy and this beer had an overwhelming and yummy grapefruit flavor. The mouthfeel of this beer was very thick, sharp, crisp, creamy, and full and the drinkability is top-notch, despite the 7.2% abv.
I'm not worthy!
Cheers!
-F

04-10-2003 12:46:22 | More by francisweizen
BeerResearcher

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

Dark mahogany with a reddish tint. The medium/full malt body provides an almost creamy texture and light malt sweetness. Terrific aroma of hops, malt, alcohol and yeast (in that order) lasts throughout. Very highly hopped like a citrusy IPA only more alcoholic. Noticeable yeasty taste. This is a powerful, highly aggressive ale. Nice lasting whitish beige head and clinging lace.

04-08-2003 17:37:36 | More by BeerResearcher
nomad

Kansas

4.18/5  rDev 0%

Poured an opaque deep red, had a resplendent hue to it. Nice frothy head that wouldn’t budge, and a very thin lace that fell away. Nose was of cherries that settled into grapes, a faint floral hops scent almost near pine, and some small notes of oak and cedar. All was softly blended together.

Taste was a little complex, or at least hard to make your way through - Stone hops are often a jungle that hides all other flavors. First things first, the hops were lightly salty and a little bready, and then turned grapefruity. A calm, quiet, but solid barleywine malt body came through as the beer opened and my tongue adjusted to the high IBU level.

Had a moderate length finish, with a surprisingly quiet aftertaste for what is, at first taste, an aggressive beer. The mouthfeel was oily, but soon after the swallow the hops went to work coating my mouth with a very soft dryness. Pretty good, would like to see more things than just the hops be present in the taste and mouthfeel.

04-04-2003 11:27:22 | More by nomad
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.