Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - Beautiful amber coloring, off-white head that sticks. How I expect an ale should look.

S - Milder. almost sweet smell with a little bite

T - Surprising when paired with the mild smell. Strong, bitter kick up front, hoppy aftertaste. Smooths out nicely towards the end of the bottle as it began to warm.

M - Slightly thicker, with a fair amount of carbonation

O - This beer has both surprised and spoiled me. Less hoppy than an IPA, which I like as I tend to find IPAs too hoppy, but still a strong flavor. I've only had a few bottles, but it's already one of my favorites. If I'm sampling several different beers, I try to stick AB towards the end, as many beers seem mild compared to ABs...arrogance, for lack of a better term. I'll admit, I may be new to the whole beer review thing, but even I can tell where Stone was going with this.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

2.98/5  rDev -28.4%

Appearance: Looked amazing, could tell it had some carbonation with the foam on top when the bottle wasn't even opened yet. Color was a nice amber.

Smell: Slight Malty smell and a little sweetness of fruit

Taste: Just a bitter taste to me. But it was bearable and wasn't too much that it became disgusting.

Mouthfeel: foamy and carbonated.

Overall: This wasn't a bad beer, but for the amount of bitterness that came with it you would expect a little more ABV to go with it. I would drink it again, just not that often.

I see now why they call it Arrogant Bastard and why most of us won't "enjoy" this beer. Its because its nothing special, its an okay beer, nothing more.

4.51/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Im having my first AB and am impressed. I cleaned a pint glass from my collection per usual and a spot free glass is worth it for this brew. Its just a gorgeous carby amber that begs to be poured slow. A rich foam head that laces very nicely. Just pouring and swirling in the light is an experience. AB is a beautiful Ale to look at.

And it smells great. Fruity hops are dry and just sharp enough. The smell doesnt jump at you either. Its subtle and takes a minute or two to soak your personal space. I must find a joint where this is on tap just to smell the air in it.

Taste wise its everything I like in an Ale. A little bitter and dry but sharp in a way that leaves your mouth wet, wanting the next sip. This is "sipping" ale. Anything else is criminal. A wonderful dry hoppy after taste thats using all my taste buds that still feels smooth. The rich foam head sticks around too. Wonderful!

I usually like wheats and Pilsners with my food but this is an exception. Most of all if spicey food is on the menu. This is a wonderful Ale. Im sipping it and the taste is going up thru my nasal passages from my mouth. Im increasing my rating on it.

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.