Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 9,807 | Reviews: 2,966
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

It's very tasty and as the label says, "you probably won't like it!" Ha!

4.7/5  rDev +13%

Very good beer, but for the faint of heart. If you've never had this style before, the first sip can be intimidating. It's a beer to be sipped and savored, not chugged. Highly recommended.

4.27/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle of arrogant bastard drank.

Pours a clear cooper brown color with a two finger off white head. Aroma is toffee, caramel, and resin. Taste is pine, resin and bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium with a bit of an oily feel. Overall, a very good strong ale that is undeniably stone, no mistaking it.

4.12/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours a clear, very dark brown. Nice two-finger fluffy brown head with good retention and lacing.
Smell: Sweet caramel, toffee and roasty malt aromas up front, some slight grassy notes in the background.
Taste: the sweet malty flavors slap you in the face on the first sip, but then the bitter piney hops come on for a good combo punch.
Mouthfeel: Thick and kinda chewy, just what you'd expect from the taste. Lingers on the palate long enough to make you want another slap.
Overall: Just a great beer, every time I drink one I remember just how damn good this beer is. Really stands the test of time. Well done, Stone!

2.96/5  rDev -28.8%

This ale is not worthy to reach my stomach. Actually I drank the whole pint poured on tap. It is unremarkable given verbiage on the label. Looked like muddy water. Had nice aroma but not as good as any Stone IPA. Aftertaste was poorly balanced bitterness and sweetness (can't put my finger on it). Lagunitas Brown Shugga is far superior. What a surprise, Stone brews are usually great.

3.86/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a big boy beer! An enjoyable Strong Ale, but very unique with a lot of nuance. I enjoyed it way more, closer to room temp. Sweet up front with a late bitter bite way after the finish. I can't believe it took so long for me to try this one.

3.83/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pretty good but not great. I get it from time to time

Don't take my advice personally, I'm just not much of a fan of strong ale's.

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

I thought this one was just pretty good, not great. Their IPA beers are so much better in my opinion.

2.7/5  rDev -35.1%

Not a fan of the overall taste, not for the price at least. I've had much better beers than this, though it was highly recommended.

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a big, badass beer. I don't have much to add to the previous reviews. Arrogant Bastard looks great, smells good, and has layers of tastes. Caramel malts, candy, a bit of coffee and cola. This is definitely not a session beer - it kicks you right in the teeth, then smiles at you.

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

For what it is its good kinda lika an ipa lots of hop taste little citrus poured out 22 oz bottle in goblet

3.02/5  rDev -27.4%

Not all that good to me!

3.53/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours brown with a fading head.
Nose shows sweet rich malt, caramel, piny and resinous hops.
Similar rich, malty and bitter flavours. Comes off a little abrasive, could use a bit more sweet clean malt.

3.41/5  rDev -18%

Tasty but not overly memorable.

4.27/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I will admit this is not the first time I have had this beer. Long ago and many beers back I thought I was up to the task of drinking this beer. Intimidation was the key to the label, but I thought I had a palate that could handle it. I was wrong, it turned out to be a drain pour. I know? Crazy! So many years later here I have returned to see where I am with this one...

Appearance: Nice amber almost brown ale appearance. Head retention is pretty solid as well throughout the imbibing of this bastard.

Aroma: Sweet candied malts, some hop presence but not a lot. This beer reminds me a lot of a dopplebock in that regard. Which the first time I drank it I had no idea what the hell a dopplebock was!

Taste: Sweet candied malts dominate, some bittering hops but nothing really that intense. Its a well rounded beer in that regard. Its a well balanced beer and very tasty.

Overall: I will admit this one has had some cellar time so it might have lost some hop bitterness. I remember it being extremely bitter the first time I tried it. I do not get that this time around. Its pretty well balanced over all and not nearly what the experience I had was the first time around. So, I guess I have lapped this one in its arrogance! Who's the arrogant bastard now?

4.31/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Despite not being a style I would drink regularly, the IPA Hunter® owed it to himself to finally get around to reviewing this legendary beer. I like Stone; after all, they do hops, and they do it well. Getting a lot of fresh-baked bread and sugary sweetness on the nose. A bit like raisin bread, but very subdued. Not overwhelming; simply complimentary. Taste follows the nose, but there's unmistakable citrus hops on the finish. On the real. A bit prickly on the tongue, while not being exhausting or heavy on the mouthfeel. There's a fine line between arrogance and supreme confidence. Stone knew what they were doing with this one. I haven't been this excited while drinking a non-IPA since the last time I saw Lorna Morgan rocking some tasteful lingerie. Larrrrrrge!

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet, it's one of my favorite "go to" beers. Very malty, lots of fresh citrus fruit, and a lovely dry, bitter finish. Fantastic beer + very reasonable price = me coming back time and time again.

3.56/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: [4.25] Beer is a light brown color in the glass. It appears to be mostly transparent. Forms a nice 1 1/2 finger head. The head is an off-white color and has nice staying power. The beer lists the ABV at 7.2% and a best by date of 2/17/15 (in 10 days).

S: [3.25] Smells of bread and malt. The malt is a sweet smell like brown sugar - but not very intense.

T: [3.50] The beer is malt forward at first with a sweet taste out of the gate. Subsequent sips build the bitter from the hops (I have found this with other Stone beers). If you take it slow the balance works really well. I am not getting specific flavors just the sensations of sweet and bitter.

M: [3.75] This beer has low carbonation - it actually felt like a nitro to me at first. The dominant mouth feel characteristic is the long dry finish.

O: [3.75] The balance is there on this beer. The nose was a little weak and I am not getting specific flavor elements on the taste. Overall it is a well made beer. I would drink it again - but might not seek it out. I think that since it is 10 days from expiration it may have lost some punch on the nose and taste.

4.56/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

DATE TASTED: February 6, 2015... GLASSWARE: HopDevil nonick... OCCASION: Cavs going for thirteen in a row--tying a franchise record?... APPEARANCE: serious dark brown body with steady effervescence; thick as snow, creamy, chunky off-white head that craters and clings... AROMA: instant pineapple and peach erupt; earthier textures blanket the scent with caramel malts and some interesting yeasts... PALATE: a powerful, mouth-awakening grip that tingles the teeth to the ears; creamy, formidable, and crunchy--in other words, a balanced ale...TASTE: as expected, a brutal malt swamp that holds its ground against a hop-laden West Coast citrus pucker--quite agreeable in its arrogance; love the lingering bitterness on the tongue and teeth, even as the strength of the malt dissipates...OVERALL: an American classic that lives up to its hype again and again--attractive, strong, assertive, alcoholic, reasonably priced and available in bombers or sixes; a versatile and instant mood changer, despite the Cavs' losing...

4.72/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great combo of malt and hops and the yeast tops it off and brings it together with a subtle sweetness and velvety feel. You really have to look hard to find anything wrong with this one.

3.2/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Interesting. Appreciated the bourbon flavor but overwhelmed the hops

One of several Stone beers that doesn't disappoint.

4.04/5  rDev -2.9%

Dark red ale. Maltyness fades to hop profile. Reminds me a little bit of Bigfoot barley wine w/o the sweetness. Creamy mouthfeel

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.