2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Ratings: 7,468 | Reviews: 2,739 | Show All Ratings:
mactrail

2.73/5  rDev -34.7%

Hops wrestle with the sweet malt for a long, long time. Eventually the malt gives up. Oddly light bodied. Oily pine on the lips followed by grapefruit pith. Carbonation lasts well if your tongue can take the workout. Pleasing head on the amber brew with nice lacing.

From the cask at The Linkery in San Diego. I thought it might be interesting to try the cask version, but I wish I hadn't. The unfortunate part is the warm cellar temp accentuates the astounding excess of bitter hops and makes the whole concoction harsh and and brutal.

12-06-2011 04:59:43 | More by mactrail
callmeopus

Washington

4.43/5  rDev +6%

On Cask at Thirsty Monk with "American Oak Chips" added. Tasted 1 hour after it was tapped and set on the top of the bar. I found the cask to be a lot more mellow (in aroma, taste, hop-bite, and carbonation) than the original Bastard. This special cask version had a buttery taste and texture, with just the merest hint of wood. Whereas one Arrogant Bastard will leave my tongue dry, I was able to down two glasses with tongue and mouth intact. Once warmed up, the pine aroma wafted tantalizingly from the glass.

09-18-2010 22:30:50 | More by callmeopus
DmanGTR

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

Review from notes on Aug 27, 09 at the Old Toad. On cask and dry hopped.

A - Dark amber brown with a bubbly tan head. Quite clear and patches of lace. 4.0

S - Grapefruity, piney, rich with hoppiness yet a light caramel body keeps the hops in check... with the hops winning. 4.5

T - bold sweetness of malt grains, caramel, and roasted barley give way to more intense hops. Quite pronounced bitterness lingers as citrus rinds. 4.0

M - Smooth and creamy yet light in body. Mild carbonation. 4.0

D - Pleeease ruin my palate even more! This is insanely good. 5.0

My only complaint is that IMO, this is a beer that requires American levels of carbonation, not cask. Still wonderful though.

02-24-2010 04:43:25 | More by DmanGTR
WilliamHardgrove

3.95/5  rDev -5.5%

This was my first taste of a cask-conditioned ale and I wasn't sure what to expect. What I got was not what I thought I would. If nice clear deep amber color and rich head had me excited. The smell was very heavy on hops, which a rep from Stone told me were Centennial hops. He then told me about how the dry hopping process worked before I took my first sip. The malt I expected from the Bastard wasn't as apparent as I thought it would be, however, despite the hoppiness it was a very smooth drink. I anxiously await my next chance to try a cask ale and hope I enjoy it just as much.

02-27-2007 16:05:58 | More by WilliamHardgrove
blakesell

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Small creamy head, almost like a cream ale or dry stout.

As expected from Arrogant, very hoppy aromas, Centennial dry hopping apparent.

Tastes much better than standard Arrogant. Smooth and drinkable, but still the hop bomb that the Bastard is known for. Worth some hype by any means, but the Smoked Porter and Old Guardian '06 were easier drinkers.

02-24-2007 22:48:29 | More by blakesell
Bierguy5

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a mahogany color, but probably a bit lighter that the original. Thick creamy, nearly white head, with excellent retention and lacing. Seems very standard for a solid cask beer. Big hoppy aroma. Centennial hops seem to be the showcase, as floral and citrus notes are present. Toffee, caramel, and a bit of fig are somewhat hidden behind a great amount of floral, citrusy, and piney hops. The creamy feel and low, soft carbonation make this treat oh so drinkable. Thank you Stone for bringing this to Boston's as part of the Most Arrogant Pub celebration. A real treat to have a cask beer like this.

02-23-2007 04:27:36 | More by Bierguy5
mcallister

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

This pours much differently than the carbonated version. Dark brooding deep cooking caramel. Thick nearly white head. Significant lacing. Very nice.

Well it smells like cask beer. A metallic aspect that isn't too apetizing. Hints of toffee, with a dose of hops but not much more.

Very nice. Toffeed malt leads way to hints of fig, raisin, pine hop with very rustic earthy tones. Hops are slightly resiny and sustained. Alcohol is well hidden yet is still there.

This beer being cask makes it just too drinkable.

02-22-2007 02:10:15 | More by mcallister
sulldaddy

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

HAd this brew at Kclingers today with some PA BAs.
The brew came to me in a pint glass with about 1 cm of soft beige colored head. The head retention was incredible as there was always some throughout my sampling.
The color is rich dark ruby and amber. Aroma is mostly pine hops and some earth scents as well. Surprisingly mild aroma overall.
The brew has very soft mild carbonation like a cask ale should and the body is fairly thick but not quite chewy, but slightly creamy.
Flavor, oh yea this is good. I get a hit of sweet caramel up front but this is quickly overshadowed by a wave of piney hops through the middle and the finish is dominated by these same hope. Some grapefruity flavors come through as well. This is a very crisp brew. There is a hint of alcohol on the finish as well which adds to the bitterness and definately increases the warming factor.
Cant believe this was on cask!

02-01-2004 07:32:40 | More by sulldaddy
Ohiolager

4.24/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale 22 oz bottle $3.99(OH)

No freshness date? come on stone, why? Your all about freshness, read the bottom of Stone's 6pks. Yet no date on 22 oz bottles? The CA prop 65 warning made me laugh.

pours a deep red color. Light brown if you can call it that. A two and a half finger creamy dark peach white head lingers for a long time. The thick creaminess being higher and thicker towards the middle of the glass. It eventually gives way to good lacing, a nice thick ring at the top of the glass and lines of lacing that run down towards the now half finger head.

the aroma is very close to that of an IPA. I smell a strong hoppy citrus up front. Smells kind of like mango's, that's new. Roasted malts and very piney.

the taste is good, but wierd. It's citrus up front almost like a mango, then a strong hoppy piney taste. Its like an IPA, with the hoppy citrus. But a roasted malt balances things out. The after taste is less dry than an IPA also. There is a nice slight bitterness going on though.

mouth feel is pretty light for a 7.2% ABV beverage. although I have no complaints. a medium body brew that has great carbonation. It leaves a nice light citrus feel, followed by a dominate pine clinging to your palate. Pretty nice.

Overall this brew is great. However is it just me, or is this brew a stone's throw away from a red/amber IPA? It's hoppy with a citrus piney knockout. great american strong red ale. I would buy this again. For something in between an IPA and a American ale this fits the build just right. I love how the bottle says "you're not worthy" and this is an aggressive beer "you probably wont like". I like it, and it's great for those in between nights.

04-17-2014 05:28:05 | More by Ohiolager
Valley_Town_Sipper

Washington

3.85/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Put this beer up to the light and be amazed at how blood-red it appears. . . Has a lush dark look away from the light. The biggest knock against it is the beer lacks any real aroma. For what it lacks in smell though, it does a bang up job with the flavor profile. So crisp and malty up front that you don't really even notice the bitter bite till a few seconds later on the back of your pallet. For its price and how main stream it is, a very nice go-to. . .

04-17-2014 03:06:15 | More by Valley_Town_Sipper
nodder

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A-Dark amber/copper color. Very clear. A light brown head that dissipates leaving a bit of lacing.

S- Pine, roasted malts, pine, caramel, and pine. Did I say pine?

T- Piney hops and bitter. This gives way to/is balanced by some roasted malts.

M- Medium with a decent amount of carbonation. Very smooth going down.

O- Finally tried this classic. Glad I did. If you like a hoppy/bitter ale this one is for you.

04-15-2014 16:37:36 | More by nodder
PA-hunter

4.39/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a bottle into glass. 6/9/14 freshness date. 7.2% abv

Appearance- A dark deep reddish brown. Almost opaque. Has a two finger head that has a slight brown tint to it with decent retention.

Smell- Apparant bready malt aroma with a bit of a roasted quality. Faint hints of dark fruit with some caramel like sweetness in there as well.

Taste- A few things going on simultaneously as it is hard to give a profile: the malt character of the nose is most obvious as there is a bread/cracker note that still has somewhat of a toasted flavor. Hops are there as well with earthy notes of pine. Not much citrus going on here. On the back end there is a spicy finish with only a light bitterness.

Mouthfeel- Moderate with an appropriate amount of carbonation. Extremely smooth which translates to the great drinkability.

Overall- I actually found this pleasant and not as wildly strong as I thought it would be. Maybe this was because the funny label and crazy bragging on the back of the bottle caused me to think this would be wicked strong, oh and the name. Read the label on the back though, it is funny. This is a very smooth beer and really is not a hop explosion, when compared to most IPA's. Not near as strong as Stone's Sublimely Self Righteous Ale (their black ale). That is because it is not an IPA, so it is much more malty. Nice and complex beer. Try it if you're worthy haha.

04-11-2014 03:24:09 | More by PA-hunter
MaineBrewing

Maine

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

Poured out of 12 oz bottle into goblet, never thought I would ever see this in a 12 oz, hopefully they expand beyond the stone mix pack and put out 12 packs of ABA. This has always been one of my favorite and go to beers since I started drinking craft beer.

A - Poured a solid 2 finger off white head with tinge of tan. Ruby in color, translucent with orange highlights around the edges when held to the light. Head dissipated after a while but was always foamed over and lively, abundant lacing through-out... this beer always looks fresh.

S - Nose is a great hop forward but strong malt character rounds it out. Notes of pine and resin from the hops and a strong toasted malt presence, with burnt sugar, and caramel notes. Has a smokey, bacon-y essence that's barely discernible but adds a layer of complexity. Slight pungent yeast and a little alcohol.

T - Taste is what a beer should be, IMO. Loads of hops from flavoring hop notes of resinous pine, herbal, peppery, through the bittering spectrum with loads of IBUs at the finish. Bittering hop character lingers in your mouth for an extended time. The malt cuts through the hops with a great unique to this brew flavor. I would guess it may be toasted malts that provide a smokey depth. It is very rich, but at no point is it ever too sweet, or sweet enough to cut through the hop bitter. The yeast bouquet makes a welcomed peppery appearance towards the end, and it finishes very clean/dry.

M - Ample carbonation and medium body, would be what I expect for the style, less sticky then some other stone offerings.

O - This is just the picture of a balanced american strong ale. Highly hopped with IPA quality hop flavor, but an amped up malt character that has a unique flavor profile I have never had in another beer. This is a great, if not the best, example of the american strong ale style that I have had yet. I have probably over-rated this compared to my BA peers, but to me, overall this is perfect.

04-09-2014 20:54:31 | More by MaineBrewing
itsscience

3.86/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I'm going to do my best to ignore the lame, obnoxious bottle text, which more or less aims to belittle you if you don't agree that this is an awesome beer.

Pours cranberry juice red with a pillowy two-finger head that retains well. It smells like piney hops but with a huge malt presence: I get brown sugar, toasted oats, and some dark fruit notes. It has a bitter pine needle taste from the beginning of the tongue until the end and leaves the back of the throat tingling. Alongside the hoppy flavors, there's a caramel malt with hints of indistinct dark fruits.There's a dichotomy in this beer and the hoppy characteristics don't work well with the malty ones. Mouthfeel is medium with medium carbonation.

04-08-2014 01:30:55 | More by itsscience
StanfordBlack

What can I say? I love this beer.
It took me by surprise the first time, it was rather strong for an ale, yet it was everything I ever wanted in my drink. It's dark color as well as the rather fitting cup "fizzy yellow beer is for wussies" made me laugh the first time I had this, and it was rather fitting, I think for someone who doesn't like a full bodied strong beer that doesn't taste overly hoppy or citrus that they really should avoid this beer. I buy Arrogant Bastard quite often, it's usually my go to craft brew. The bottle is pretty hilarious as well.
All in all, Arrogant Bastard proves that there does exist some great ales, and all my friends I have introduced it to love it as well.

04-03-2014 22:03:30 | More by StanfordBlack
theteleman

4.09/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured a deep amber color with a big pillowy head. This is a very good looking beer. The head is exclellent and the color of deep redish amber is beautiful. Its listed as a "American Stong Ale", but this beer is pretty unique in its own right. For me, its hard to classify. An amber ale with a lot more hops and more of a biscuty, malty taste to it with the lingering aftertaste of booze...that would be a start but it still doesnt do it justice. Its pretty damn complex. Its really delicious. A very heavy brew, I could only drink a pint of this personally, but its a very very tasty pint. Purchased at 7-11 in San Diego. Tells you something about the SD beer scene if the 7'11's are stocking these bad boys :)

03-29-2014 05:17:16 | More by theteleman
Keith425

At this point in time,this is my favorite beer.i drink it almost daily

Appearance : pours a beautiful almost ruby red color,especially when you shine light through it.A nice creamy tan 1.5-2 finger head forms with great lacing throughout...absolutely love the look of this beer,it really goes well with the attitude Stone purveys

Smell : the first thing that hits me is the hops,there's definitely some citrus in there but the hops are the most predominant smell for sure

Taste : this beer is extremely strong,bitter and hoppy...but incredibly balanced.nothing about it is really overpowering to me...just tastes great from the first sip to the last

Mouthfeel : extremely smooth for such a strong brew.there is definitely some lingering from the bitterness and a little tingling from the alcohol,but all it does is make you want the next sip.

Overall : 5/5 I love everything about this beer,definitely one of,if not,the best beer I've ever had.would recommend to anybody interested in this kind of beer,but certainly not for someone who doesn't like a beer that is very bitter and very straight forward

03-28-2014 14:52:35 | More by Keith425
ArrogantJoseph

Nevada

Good ol' Arrogant Bastard.

Appearance: Dark red-ish caramel color, with a very VERY light tan head, just about finger and half of a head.

Smell: VERY wild strong upfront smell of pine needles, hops ,citrus and alcohol.

Taste: Crazy intense amount of bitter grapefruit,pine and caramel, but not that much alcohol is present in the taste.

Mouth Feel: Smooth and creamy all the way to the last drop just like it has been.

Overall: This has been one of my favorites for a long time. Whenever I go to the grocery store for another haul of goodness I always grab this.. If you have NEVER tried this and are looking for a pretty strong beer I would recommend you give this a go.

03-25-2014 08:26:16 | More by ArrogantJoseph
BastardKing24

Oregon

4.06/5  rDev -2.9%

The first stone beer I ever had, and one of the first craft brews I ever had. This is an all original classic that stands out on its own.

Pours a reddish brown with a small offwhite head that falls to bubbles and lacing.

Smell is piney hops with a burnt brown sugarness, dark fruits, and some cirtus in there somewhere. To me its the weakest aspect.

Taste is mostly bitter, with a decent maltiness thats adds to its complexity. Hints of dark fruit and caramel are there, along with brown sugar, but the taste is mostly one dimensional, but it works.

Feel is light to medium carbed and medium bodied.

Overall this is something I don't usually buy anymore cause I've had it alot and I like to try new things. But when it stands alone at a store I'm at I will buy it, and I always enjoy it. It's quite bitter but my palate has changed over time and It's rather subdued to me. At any rate it's a good beer, but I can't quite rate it as high as others.

03-19-2014 22:50:02 | More by BastardKing24
dougbassett

3.53/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

One of the "1001 Beers You Must Taste Before You Die" -- #43 of the ones I've reviewed here.

This is a very odd beer. Some things it does remarkably well, other things come out quite poorly.

Aesthetically it looks right -- Stone Brewing beers always seem to look fantastic in the glass and this is no exception, a really beautiful mahogany brown topped up with a light brown head that, if you pour it right, will linger forever. They also nailed the mouthfeel -- this has the "sticky", substantial feel that you would want in a beer advertising itself as an "Arrogant Bastard".

The nose is usually described as dark fruits and pine and that's true, but a little deceptive. It's a fairly weak hit of that, even when I let the beer warm up in the glass it never got much beyond "pretty light". I'm reminded of Stone's Smoked Porter, which would have been a better beer with more of a smoky nose. What is really surprising, though, is how out-of-balance this beer is. The light fruit on the nose is even lighter to taste, the flavors are mostly centered around a gigantic hop blast. It's not a bad hop blast but it's pretty one-dimensional, just a slap of piney hop bitterness that slowly fades away.

I confess I don't get this beer -- the hops are too one-dimensional for it to be a hop monster, and there's not enough fruit in here to make this a really good strong ale. What you end up with, actually, is something like an overhopped American Pale Ale -- not exactly bad or undrinkable, but certainly nothing all that amazing, either.

03-16-2014 17:13:14 | More by dougbassett

Poured into pint glass

A: I'm just not worthy

S: Again, not worthy

T: Eh' . . . Still not worthy

M: I can't handle the worthiness

O: I sound like a Wayne's World episode I know. Maybe I'll come back to this one again someday. After all . . . There was a time that I could not stand ipa's either (parish the thought I know). But for now . . . Well, you guessed it, I'm not worthy and I'm ok with that.

03-08-2014 04:53:33 | More by GOBLIN
SteveB24

4.06/5  rDev -2.9%

Beautiful color, thick white head

Citrusy and spicy, lots of alchohal

Very bitter, lemon peel, grapefruit and spice

Full body, medium carbonation, slightly crisp and a little oily at the same time.

This beer leaves an impression with its boldness, but the bitterness is very strong and the balance is lacking, the flavors don't blend as well as I like. Happy I bought but won't but again for awhile.

03-06-2014 06:09:09 | More by SteveB24
Johnny_Muir

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

Bomber into tulip. Im happy that with all the hype surrounding this beer, it did not fail to live up. Darker than most beers I drink, I was put off at first, but soon grew to like it. The most interesting aspect to me was the head of the beer, being a tan/khaki, almost light brown color, really cool. I also love the attitude displayed by Stone. They brew beer for people like me, who think that opinions are fact, cuz when youre right, youre just right.

03-04-2014 04:12:51 | More by Johnny_Muir
BrewMakeMeFeel

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours a dark reddish brown with a small, short lived head and not much noticeable carbonation.

Smell: Strong hops aroma apparent immediately, with faint hint of malty sweetness.

Taste: Very strong bitter hops taste, but not overpowering. Giving way to malt and yeast flavors, with bitter hop flavor lingering on palate. Interestingly, the bitter hops are both the first and last thing you taste, with other flavor profiles (mostly malt, with a touch of yeast) cropping up in between. Makes for a deep, complex flavor profile.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, with just a small touch of carbonation.

Overall: A great beer, especially for lovers of hoppy ales. The hops flavors are very strong, but don't overpower the rest of the flavors. Not a good introduction for those not accustomed to this kind of brew, and not the beer to start the night out with if you're planning on drinking more than one.

02-27-2014 00:29:37 | More by BrewMakeMeFeel
rdilauro

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dirty muddy river brown but crystal clear! Very small and short lived creamy white head.
The nose was more malt than anything. I did pick up on some hops, the citrus and pine nut aroma. There was also a scent of spice, something along the lines of pale vanilla.

The taste was big round and very full. Most of the malt exploded into my mouth, filling every part of my mouth and tongue, so I got to experience all its characteristics

There was a shade of dry bitterness at the end, something as if I was finishing up a smooth brown whiskey, but no whiskey overtones here

02-25-2014 16:51:26 | More by rdilauro
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.