1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Ratings: 7,459 | Reviews: 2,739 | Show All Ratings:

Poured into pint glass

A: I'm just not worthy

S: Again, not worthy

T: Eh' . . . Still not worthy

M: I can't handle the worthiness

O: I sound like a Wayne's World episode I know. Maybe I'll come back to this one again someday. After all . . . There was a time that I could not stand ipa's either (parish the thought I know). But for now . . . Well, you guessed it, I'm not worthy and I'm ok with that.

03-08-2014 04:53:33 | More by GOBLIN
SteveB24

4.06/5  rDev -2.9%

Beautiful color, thick white head

Citrusy and spicy, lots of alchohal

Very bitter, lemon peel, grapefruit and spice

Full body, medium carbonation, slightly crisp and a little oily at the same time.

This beer leaves an impression with its boldness, but the bitterness is very strong and the balance is lacking, the flavors don't blend as well as I like. Happy I bought but won't but again for awhile.

03-06-2014 06:09:09 | More by SteveB24
Johnny_Muir

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

Bomber into tulip. Im happy that with all the hype surrounding this beer, it did not fail to live up. Darker than most beers I drink, I was put off at first, but soon grew to like it. The most interesting aspect to me was the head of the beer, being a tan/khaki, almost light brown color, really cool. I also love the attitude displayed by Stone. They brew beer for people like me, who think that opinions are fact, cuz when youre right, youre just right.

03-04-2014 04:12:51 | More by Johnny_Muir
BrewMakeMeFeel

Connecticut

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours a dark reddish brown with a small, short lived head and not much noticeable carbonation.

Smell: Strong hops aroma apparent immediately, with faint hint of malty sweetness.

Taste: Very strong bitter hops taste, but not overpowering. Giving way to malt and yeast flavors, with bitter hop flavor lingering on palate. Interestingly, the bitter hops are both the first and last thing you taste, with other flavor profiles (mostly malt, with a touch of yeast) cropping up in between. Makes for a deep, complex flavor profile.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, with just a small touch of carbonation.

Overall: A great beer, especially for lovers of hoppy ales. The hops flavors are very strong, but don't overpower the rest of the flavors. Not a good introduction for those not accustomed to this kind of brew, and not the beer to start the night out with if you're planning on drinking more than one.

02-27-2014 00:29:37 | More by BrewMakeMeFeel
rdilauro

Connecticut

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dirty muddy river brown but crystal clear! Very small and short lived creamy white head.
The nose was more malt than anything. I did pick up on some hops, the citrus and pine nut aroma. There was also a scent of spice, something along the lines of pale vanilla.

The taste was big round and very full. Most of the malt exploded into my mouth, filling every part of my mouth and tongue, so I got to experience all its characteristics

There was a shade of dry bitterness at the end, something as if I was finishing up a smooth brown whiskey, but no whiskey overtones here

02-25-2014 16:51:26 | More by rdilauro
Tsar_Riga

Indiana

4.36/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - A full, dark orange-brown brew with a pillowy light tan head that produces extensive lacing.

S - Pine and pith, with a suggestion of malts.

T - More pine, with a blast of grapefruit and hoppiness. Bitter comes in quick, along with the sugars and malts that keep things from getting to harsh. A close that keeps the citrus notes coming, along with an abiding bitterness.

M - For as powerful a hop brew this is, the drying is only moderate and does not absolutely wreck your palette.

O - This is a beer that asks for, and deserves, attention. Delicious, uncompromising, and tough, it is a compelling drink that deserves periodic revisiting.

02-20-2014 23:56:37 | More by Tsar_Riga
2Cents

Nebraska

4.61/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a large tulip.

A: Nice head that sticks around a while. Its a dark amber, quite clear.

S:Malt, yeast esters, pine needles, caramel and alcohol.

T: Caramel, coffee, pine needles and grapefruit-rind at the end.

M: Almost creamy with some carbonation and alcohol bite.

O: This is a really good American beer. It's not to west-coast hop dominant; and that's coming from a California brewery, a good one at that.

02-18-2014 06:38:05 | More by 2Cents
CDAtkinson

Maryland

4.11/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: lively carbonation forms a finger and a half head. Brown coppery color.
S: pine needles and citrus
T: malty with a strong hoppy backbone and warms you up and then leaves a lingering bitter finish. On second taste got a bready taste from the yeasts I think.
M: racy acidity, light bodied.

02-17-2014 23:55:45 | More by CDAtkinson
whynot44

Missouri

4.64/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful red/amber color with a decent thick foam head that settles down to about a quarter of an inch that persists and leaves some very nice lace.

The aroma is pine resin and hops with a rich malt background.

The taste is similar but even richer with pine up front, fading into a grapefruit flavor toward the finish, rich caramel malt, slightly sweet to balance the hops, hints of coffee, smoke, and biscuits. Finishes dry with a lingering grapefruit/pine aftertaste that somehow makes you want another.

Medium/full bodied, very smooth, almost too drinkable with only the slightest hint of the alcohol. Very nice.

Overall this was an excellent brew, kind of like a grown-up IPA. Well named.

02-17-2014 09:27:18 | More by whynot44
WyethBednar

3.73/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not my favorite strong ale ever, but it definitely lives up to the promise on the label of being an "aggressive beer."

Appearance: Beautiful glossy burgundy color, with a nice cream colored head. Carbonation is immediately apparent. Good lacing.

Smell: Up front hops presence, a little bit of a vegetable smell, and, this being on the strong side of ales, a definite kick of alcohol in the nose.

Taste: Pretty good. Very complex, for sure. Huge hops presence, and in the aftertaste theres a pretty strong note of vegetables (can't place it exactly, I wanna say celery or kale, something in that realm) that give this a really savory flavor. Probably not for everyone, but I was intrigued.

Mouthfeel: Alright. Not amazing. Carbonation seemed a little low once I actually tasted it, which was surprising since it was so prevalent in the appearance. You can feel the alcohol in your throat in the aftertaste.

Pretty good strong ale, not gonna be in my top 5 or anything, but I enjoyed it.

02-10-2014 02:42:59 | More by WyethBednar
JoshuaMason

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%

Vintage: 2013
Appearance: Deep amber, copper; Dense off-white head; great lace; great carbonation
Smell: Molasses; Pine; Smoke; Like a wonderful campfire in the forest.
Taste: Toasty Malts; Molasses; Smoke; Piney hop goodness, Resiny finish
Mouth-feel: Medium Body; Lingering Resiny finish, Dry.
Overall: Complex, Balanced, Strong… Like a good woman.

02-08-2014 03:33:35 | More by JoshuaMason
terradactle

4.18/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

After trying Stone's IPA and loving it, I decided to pick up a pint, 6oz bottle of Stone Arrogant Bastard ale at a grocery store in VA. I was not disappointed.

Appearance: Pours a dark caramel color with a thin head. This was maybe the least appealing aspect of this beer.

Smell: Hoppier than anticipated. Rich, complex and enticing scent.

Taste: Lives up to the scent and then some. Smooth at first, with a grapefruit-like kick towards the finish. there's a pleasant mixture of hops, malt and alcohol that lingers in the mouth after you swallow.

Mouthfeel: Slightly flat, as anticipated due to the thin head that this beer poured.

Overall: fantastic beer out of California. Would recommend and will buy again.

02-06-2014 01:53:56 | More by terradactle
BeerandWhiskeyHQ

3.59/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance
Deep brown/ copper with plenty of lacing
Smell
Smells of hops and malt, they are prominent and dominating
Taste
Theres a big hop profile to this beer, much more then I was expected. It’s a pretty heavy beer to drink and very malty, the alcohol presents itself fairly strongly at the finish
Overall
I think this is good but its rated 93/100 on BeerAdvocate and I don’t understand why…l Its good, but there are much better ones out there in my opinion. I have had almost every single Stone beer that I can get my hands on in this area and I think it;s overpriced and often times lets me down. Get one and try for yourself, if I were you I would skip to their Double Bastartd which is probably trhe best out of their line.

-BeerandWhiskeyHQ.com

02-03-2014 18:06:37 | More by BeerandWhiskeyHQ
DrCDPriest

3.36/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Interesting name and imaginative backstory for the beer. I've tried it on different occasions, and have found it fairly consistent in what to expect from this brew.

Appearance - Pours a clear deep amber, more to the brown tint. In using a pint glass it had a nice head, about a finger an a half, and a small amount of lacing.

Aroma - You can smell the hops upon opening, very high hop nose with a bit of spiciness. If you love hops, the aroma won't disappoint you.

Taste - The taste truly follows the aroma. It tastes as it smells which helps you appreciate the distinct series of flavors. It begin with hops, a bit of spicy malt followed by what I'd describe as a bitter citrus grapefruit effect.

Mouthfeel - It is a medium body feel, a little on the flat side (on multiple occasions from different shops), and seems very light in the carbonation, a bit more might help those middle malt flavors pop a bit more.

Overall - This is a very nice beer for those loving a strong hop experience with bitter citrus after tones. Definitely an enjoyable experience.

Serving type: Bottle poured into a pint glass.

02-02-2014 19:21:42 | More by DrCDPriest
avillax

2.63/5  rDev -37.1%

I'm a bit surprised about the positive reviews on this beer. I hope they didn't fall for the legend on the back of the bottle.

A- Nice caramel color, seemed to need a bit more carbonation
S - lots of hops, pine, hoppy, hoppy
T- All I could taste was hops, it was so strong that at the beginning I had half a pint alone and then had it with steak, just like I thought, the taste of the steak was completely masked by the bitter hoppy flavor of this beer. It definitely didn't pair up with any food and at time had an unflavored cough syrup after taste, so bitter like gin. Completely out of balance.
M - good consistency, but extremely strong bitter hoppy flavor, long lasting.

I didn't know if I had a bad batch, however when I was choosing at the supermarket, I was aiming for the one with the least hoppy flavor since I had tasted other beers from this brewery and always thought the hops were out of balance, and surprise!, I got something really out of balance on hops.

The Stout and the one they brew on oak barrels are the best out of this brewery, but a total let down, if the hop is so strong you can't pair it up then that's telling you something.

01-31-2014 04:18:27 | More by avillax
innnervison

4.78/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

This is my first Beer review so i will give it my best shot

I bought this beer for mainly the name sake and i was not disappointed this beer was a feast for every sense imaginable.

sight: pouring this beer and watching the glass fill with a beautiful crimson amber beer that quickly darkens into a rich dark red and a thick white head making this the beer you want to show to your friends.

smell: you are immediately hit with a strong hops sent but there are a lot of dynamic elements in play here. while the hops jumps out first there is also a fruity sent that if i had to guess i would say grapefruit, roasted coffee, sugar, chocolate a truly rich blend of smells that give you a strong hint at the beer to come.

taste: rich decadence is the best way to describe this beer. a slightly syrupy mouth feel that delivers a rich tapestry of flavors that if i would have had seen a list of them i would not think they would work. a bright grapefruit flavor with caramelized sugar notes. the bite of the hops is there but subdued by the weaving of flavors. after the initial sweet the tides shift to the rich smoky coffee and light chocolate flavor that is a great tail ride for this beer as it is hard to find a beer that can activate taste buds for every flavor. Also for a beer with a 7.2 alcohol content the alcohol taste was virtually non existent. the beer has a beckoning aftertaste that begs for you to grab another drink.

as you can tell by my rating and my review i loved this beer i think that it is a must have for anyone wishing to cut their teeth in the beer world and if i was more experienced in reviewing i would have spent more time on the taste of this beer cause there is a very complex amalgamation of flavors. my only complaint is that the only size you can get is that big bottle while a regular six pack wouldn't do it justice the big bottle is a little bit intimidating to some drinkers.

have a great day

01-29-2014 13:23:30 | More by innnervison
Boca-X

Missouri

4.19/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a Bomber into a snifter. Deep red amber hue, almost a liquid velvet red. Nice white/yellow head with beautiful alcohol lacing, sticky throughout my drinking.

Malt and hops up front on the nose, light spiciness with a hint of lemon, maybe pear, brandy?

Just as with the smell, hops and malt overtake the tongue. Nice carbonation, a dry shot of sweet brandy, a hint of honey, followed by a bitter, burnt toast on the finish. I'm shocked at how smooth it is considering the bitterness of the hoppy finish.

This is considered a strong ale, I think for the in your face hop smack down. Yes the alcohol is there but it's hidden pretty well, doesn't feel like a 7+ ale...that could be dangerous. I think a bomber is a perfect size for consumption. Much more and either the buzz or the hops would take over.

This is my first Stone brew, looking forward to trying more, looking forward to adding this Bastard into regular rotation in my beer fridge.

01-29-2014 01:42:48 | More by Boca-X
Jay_Ulreich

Indiana

4.11/5  rDev -1.7%

This beer is like an old friend coming to visit. You dont remember how much you missed or enjoyed time with them until they are there.
A- Pretty deep amber color, nice persistent head, good lacing.
S- Mmmmm mm!You can smell the hop spiciness and awesome malt profile.
T- Yup, thats a strong ale. Alcohol is present, but it ties in good with the other flavors. It is welcome. Spicy and floral hops. Malt makes itself known and it is awesome. Perfect synergy- its like a malt and a hop bomb all in one. The hops sort of linger and takeover, being a lil more prominent, but just under what Id consider an IPA.
M- Chewy, full bodied creamy goodness. Smooth, thats why I like the presence of the alcohol, so you dont drink too many of these.
Overall, this is probably in my top 10 beers. Im suprised I dont drink it more often. Stone kills it every time.

01-28-2014 01:38:11 | More by Jay_Ulreich
jj139

4.24/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bomber poured in a pint glass

A - Rusty-caramel with a 2 finger beige-tan head. Lacing was very long lasting, coating the entire length of the glass

S - Citrus, pine, toasty malt with hints of caramel.

T - First few sips had an incredibly strong bitter hops taste. Made you wonder if you were drinking a DIPA instead. There were touches of malt but I got slammed with intense bitterness. Everything seemed out of balance as I began to wonder if maybe I was not worthy as the label said. After about 10 minutes the beer warmed up to an amazing mix of citrus, caramel, hop bitterness and sweet malt, everything fell into place and was in perfect balance.

M - Medium body but once it rounded out the beer had a full flavor mouth feel with just a tinge of alcohol. A nice smooth finish.

O - Once this beer warmed up for a few minutes it turned into an incredible brew. I will be enjoying this again and again....letting it rest a few minutes first before drinking.

01-26-2014 22:28:08 | More by jj139
Greenchileman

Georgia

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer ROCKS and I also love the name! It is my currently my favorite beer. I like it even more than Founders Breakfast Stout or Santa Fe Imperial Java Stout which I love dearly. Great flavors, aftertaste, you name it. I'd love to purchase a six pack but have yet to find it in anything other than a bomber. If something in the Universe didn't line up quite right and I could have only one beer to drink, forever more, Arrogant Bastard Ale would be my pick.

01-21-2014 17:19:48 | More by Greenchileman
BrewRat

Nevada

4.7/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

An outstanding beer! Poured from a bottle into a glass. This beer had a lovely caramel appearance and a nice head. The beer had a nice fruity aroma and what I would describe as a strong grapefriuty flavor. Very enjoyable stuff and justifiably arrogant!

01-20-2014 00:58:56 | More by BrewRat
Big-Frog

4.78/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Throw modesty out the window. Stone Brewery is justifiably allowed to call this beer arrogant. You know why? Because this beer exudes confidence. This beer goes to the rock show and steals your girlfriend because you aren't as interesting nor nearly as satisfying as this beer. This beer could walk into Anheuser-Busch, steal a clydesdale, and ride out bareback screaming, "where's your crown king nothing." Yeah I'm not joking. The origin story of this beer is very entertainingly documented on the back of the bottle. I encourage you to read it.

This beer has a rich taste that is comparable to none. It has a dark amber appearance, and a deliciousness that demands your attention. Regardless of your beer drinking preference, you will enjoy this beer. Unless of course, Budweiser and Yuengling are your chart toppers, in which case, you wouldn't even be on this website to begin with, because your palate would be anything but educated. This is no time to be humble. There is no pride before the fall at Stone Brewery. Only the pride in knowing that if you try this beer, they have again broadened someone else's horizons. You don't have to sell your soul to the devil, but you should give your beer money to the Stone Brewery Gargoyle.

01-11-2014 04:57:32 | More by Big-Frog
LouieG

4.56/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours of a caramel color and strong notes of hops, grapefruit and what I would consider zest. From start to finish this says Stone Brewery. About an inch and 1/2 head that sticks around for most of the entire time you are drinking it. I tried it chilled rather then really cold and noticed the some of the flavors were getting lost drinking this beer to cold. Overall this is my go to beer when I go out and pairs perfectly with a good meaty cheeseburger.

01-07-2014 18:48:32 | More by LouieG
Hops4Pops

4.95/5  rDev +18.4%

22 oz bomber
A: Side poured into a pint beer mug. Large, 3 finger head, tannish off-white in color. Very slowly receding leaving a sticky glue-like lacing on side of mug and creating a pillowy cloud-like head as it recedes. Lacing is staying put all the way through finishing the mug.Reflective light reveals a dark brown chocolate color. Shining a light through the beer reveals a slightly hazy, dark red amber color. Carbonation is excellent. Bubbles are from foam sized tiny up to a cluster of large bubbles in center of glass up to 1/4 inch. An absolutely beautiful beer.
S: Resiny citrus hops, grapefruity, malt, a slight sweetness. Very nice, very balanced smelling. Nothing stands out a lot. Perhaps the hops stand out more pronounced than anything else which is a bit of a surprise considering it is not an IPA. Nonetheless it is very nice.
T: Same notes as smell but pretty much in reverse order. Slightly sweet malt flavor followed by hops and a crisp slightly dry finish followed by a lingering bittersweet aftertaste of toffee, caramel and coffee. Awesome. Very balanced. Only a hint of alcohol in the taste.
M: Smooth and creamy up front with a crisp bite in the background followed by a tingly feel on the tongue and a slight warmth from the ABV. Very much inviting me to take another quaff.
O: An excellent American Strong Ale. Because the characteristics for this style are so wide of a range, it absolutely fits the style even though the ABV is on the low end of the scale. A excellent ale. Near perfect. I love it. This beer has the right to call itself Arrogant Bastard in my humble opinion.

01-02-2014 05:07:55 | More by Hops4Pops
Auraan

Arizona

4.18/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured a rich, transparent reddish brown with a half-finger off-white head, receding to an off-white ring leaving some lacing at the top of the glass. Rich, gorgeous color but a little low on the head. Scents of caramel, toffee, some brown sugar, more prominent as the beer warms, light grapefruit and other citrus, fruity esters, a hit of alcohol and a bit of toasted malt. Quite nice, but not near as hop forward as I expected, more malt and alcohol. Flavor begins quite bitter, with far more hop character than the aroma betrays. Hop character is mostly pine resin, but with some citrus peel bitterness. High hop bitterness is balanced by a malt backbone with caramel and toasted malt flavors. Towards the middle and end of the sip there is a bit of brown sugar appearing alongside the other flavors and some flavors of alcohol. Alcohol becomes more prominent as the beer warms. Aftertaste is bitter, with some grainy and toasted flavors. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, slightly sticky and semi-drying with low carbonation. Very easy to drink, maybe a little light bodied. Overall a good, fairly complex strong ale. The hop bitterness is very high balancing the sweet malt flavors. Pretty good, however I prefer Double Bastard.

12-27-2013 05:38:02 | More by Auraan
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.