2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Ratings: 7,484 | Reviews: 2,740 | Show All Ratings:
filabrazilia

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

Appearance - A cloudy dark carmel poured out of the bottle into my glass and formed a nice tan head. Excellent lacing was present throughout.

Aroma - Light malt and strong floral hops greeted the nose.

Taste - The hops absolutely dominated the flavor of this beer and had very little malt balance.

Mouthfeel - Lightly creamy in the mouth and fairly smooth. The hops obliterated the taste in the finish and left me with a slight pucker.

Drinkability - You want to keep drinking this one because anything else may seem bland after it. As I kept drinking, I suppose my taste buds got used to the flavor because it seemed to get better.

I liked this beer but not as much as the boasting on the bottle. I would definitely try this one again.

12-29-2003 16:16:58 | More by filabrazilia
RockyTopHeel

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%

I have to admit, I was a little intimidated tasting this brew for the first time, but I quickly learned I had little reason to be.

My Arrogant Bastard poured thick and amber with a thin beige lace atop it, with a smooth, hoppy scent. Damn, this is good - a complex, big beer with a nice bitterness, subtle layers of smooth malt, and some light touches of dark fruits here and there.

Big, bad, bold, and brilliant. I'm hooked.

12-22-2003 02:06:47 | More by RockyTopHeel
Crosling

4.43/5  rDev +6%

Another one of Stone's beautiful silk-screened bottles.

Pours burgundy in color. Looks like a beautiful sunset when help up to the light. Long lasting white head with a sticky lace that clings to the glass. Exceptional looking beer.

The nose was full of prunes, vanilla, alcohol, floral hops, citrus fruits and a malt undertone.

Sharp hops at first followed by flavors of prunes, apricots, caramel and light toffee. Hops are dominant but the malt presense is very high too and balances well. Hops still take over this beer and make it very bitter. Excellent mouthfeel as well.

All around an exceptional beer!

12-18-2003 16:51:24 | More by Crosling
DagFishHead

4.7/5  rDev +12.4%

Appearance: Deep dark-cherry/mahogany body. Generous, frothy, and persistant light-tan milkshake head that leaves thick foamy lace on everything it touches. Beautiful.
Smell: Floral and citrus hops, sweet caramel malt.
Taste: Oh mama, da hops! Medium-bodied sweet and toasted (even some smoke) malt to start, warm alcohol and crisp bubbling tingle at the top...then BAM!!, bitter-dry/citrus-crisp hop finish. Whew... incredible balance.
Mouthfeel: Rich chewy, creamy malt. Carbonation is perfect size and level to compliment the taste. Soothing alcohol warmth.
Drinkability: This brew lives up to the hype... thank the maker (ha ha) that this is now available in my area. Reminds me of Wailing Wench, but less rough around the edges...which is nice sometimes.

12-17-2003 01:29:13 | More by DagFishHead
ColForbin

New Hampshire

3.93/5  rDev -6%

Arrogant Bastard probably has one of the coolest bottles around. It pours a deep read with a 1cm head that quickly fades to a thin coating on top of the beer. The nose is very malty/caramel, with some hints of hops. Taste contains some caramel and brown sugar, with some hops in the middle and a malty aftertaste. I remember this being more hoppy the last time I had it. What happened? This beer really reminds me of is a stronger version of Smuttynose Old Brown Dog. Maybe I'm just weird...

I have to say I prefer Stone's hoppier offerings.

12-13-2003 04:18:40 | More by ColForbin
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

Real hoppy,
lively. Fun before dinner as tad bitter and dry aftertaste. Citrus and
spice. Redish brown with foamy
head is interesting, need to swish in a big beer glass. Works well on tap too, had at Blue Tusk in Syracuse in late 2004 and had stouty roast in it and bitterness.

12-08-2003 13:47:36 | More by Sammy
Suds

4.6/5  rDev +10%

I love the cap….”You’re not worthy.”
I’d been looking forward to trying this beer for a long time. It didn’t let me down.
It’s extreme hopiness, married with liberal alcohol, a nice sweet mid-taste.
Pours dark brown with a sticky tan head. Hop aroma is evident as soon as you open the bottle.
Toasted malt character, with a malty undertone. There’s a lot going on in the beer, but you have to pay attention and work through the dominant hops….dark, ripe fruit (cherry, plum), Oktoberfest sweetness, soft toasty-doughyness, and spice.
Arrogant and amazing. I’d search this one out anywhere I can find it.

12-06-2003 02:28:56 | More by Suds
saskguy

Saskatchewan (Canada)

3.2/5  rDev -23.4%

(march 2005, just wanted to say I saw bottle of this being sold at the Fogg & Suds in Kamloops for $50 each!!!! It is a bit of a gimmick by them, but they actually sell a few each month!!! They get to keep the bottlel)

I wanted to like this beer, but it did not do it for me.

The head was good and it had a rich dark colour. There was a moderate malt aroma.

Had a moderate mouth feel.

I can not quite place the malt flavour and I am not sure of the hopping. I could not tell if it wanted to be a stong ale or an IPA or a Belgium....

12-04-2003 21:13:57 | More by saskguy
Realale

Missouri

3.9/5  rDev -6.7%

Clear rich mahogany in color. Light beige 1" head settles slowly to an incomplete rocky cap leaving nice lacing.

Nose is very well-balanced mixture of rich bready/caramelly malt and piney hops. Some earthy notes develop as it warms adding more complexity. Very nice.

Less well-balanced on the palate. The malt is there, but its fighting for its life against the hops. It holds its own into the midpalate, but then the piney, citric hops take over. The finish is very long and bitter, but its a quality, smooth bitterness.

Very good slightly creamy soft carbonation helps keep the hops in check. Surprisingly drinkable for style.

11-29-2003 18:48:33 | More by Realale
Weissenheimer

3.8/5  rDev -9.1%

My pint has a small head which leaves absolutely no lacing on the glass. The color is a dark, slightly reddish-brown. I hold it up to the light, which intensifies the redness and transforms it into a coppery amber. It smells strongly of very sweet grapefruit, even from an arm's length away. The scent carries another association for me, and eventually I drudge up the memory. I double- and triple-check. Yes, I most definitely smell those fuzzy navels of which I drank so many in college.

I take a swig and the fuzzy navel association ends. Pretty much all I'm tasting here is alcohol and grapefruit. I have lots of ideas about the other tastes, but it's almost impossible to listen to them over the shout of the grapefruit. So the following is mostly conjecture.

At first there is simply a strong acidic blast. The alcohol content is apparent at this stage. I keep wanting to say "nutty" but I believe it's just my tongue's astonished reaction as it reels from the shock of citric acid. Once it gets its bearings there is a huge grapefruit wallop followed by a tingling, acidic finish that's identical to what you'd get after taking a bite of - you guessed it - grapefruit. I think that there are some hops lurking in the background, but I'm not sure. And perhaps a little bit of... smokiness? Mesquite???

What's truly astounding here is that I like this beer. Despite my unending loathing for grapefruit, I like this. I've enjoyed drinking a few 22-ounce bottles of this and I know I'll do so again, but it's too strong for me to want to drink more than that at one sitting. Overall it's an enjoyable novelty, but in my opinion it's a bit more gimmicky than the bottle, with all its bragging, would like to admit.

11-28-2003 02:48:10 | More by Weissenheimer
BierManVA

3.9/5  rDev -6.7%

I've been meaning to try this for some time. Must say, this is a unique taste for me. I can see this going with a nice meal. Roast or steak. But definately not a conehead bier.

Very good color and carbonation. The smell puts me off a bit, a little too fruity. Similar to a sweet wine. The taste and mouthfeel follow suit, a bit too fruity for me. Also a little rubber and Soy?

This bier gets very high marks and I will try it again at a later date in case I got a bad one. But as of now, I think it's a little overated.

John

11-22-2003 00:24:44 | More by BierManVA
IPALOVER

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

This is one of the best "hoppy" beers on the market. Having moved from Colorado to California, I was in search of a brewery that offered great tasting, hoppy beers. Stone Brewing in San Diego offers some excellent beer, including Arrogant Bastard. As a former English teacher I appreciate the creative writing on the back of the bottle! This beer is hoppy, yet has a slightly sweet aftertaste. It definitely packs a punch. Not for the faint-hearted, for sure. I enjoy the taste so much I could drink this beer every day! I have also had it on tap at The Yardhouse, and it is even smoother and crisper than it is from the bottle. This is an excellent beer, and one of my favorites.

11-20-2003 05:13:18 | More by IPALOVER
lackenhauser

Maryland

4.18/5  rDev 0%

Well the waiting for me is over-pours a gorgeous amber red color with a slight head. Wonderful hop aroma-citrus,vanilla,some spiciness to it. Great flavor the hops are definately there. Nice earthy aftertaste. The hops sure do leave a lingering pucker on the back of your tongue. This sucker is very smooth for the amount of hops in it. A great beer all around-I could see some people not liking it-its a bit more imperial then your average imperial IPA-but I find it quite yummy.

11-18-2003 01:32:00 | More by lackenhauser
NickLovesBeer

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

On tap at Anam Cara

Arrogant Bastard pours a deep red pint with medium sized tan head, and great retention and lacing. It smells extremely hoppy but infinitely more complex with citrus overtones. The taste? Talk about arrogance, this brew is so complex I almost don't have the vocabulary to describe what I'm tasting. It has a big malty sweetness which masks the alcohol content really well. Smooth, warming, and complex, Arrogant Bastard lives up to its name and is utterly amazing.

11-15-2003 16:15:03 | More by NickLovesBeer
mschofield

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

Very dark red approaching brown in color. Tan head with nice lacing that doesn't fade.

Hoppy in aroma, but citrus in taste. There are other flavors there, but it's the citrus that comes through to me, kind of an orange/grapefruit.

High in alcohol but that didn't come through to me in the taste. Mouthfeel is enjoyable for lack of a better word it is "full".

Very drinkable, but watch it due to the alcohol and normal serving size (22 ounces)

11-14-2003 19:03:05 | More by mschofield
ManekiNeko

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Served on tap at Dr. Dremo's in a pint glass.

Appearance: Burnished copper with an offwhite head. A seemingly constant layer of compact foam that leaves some very clingy and dense lacing, almost like light colored pantyhose.

Smell: An intriguing, almost candylike aroma. Malty sweetness with a nice herbal and piny smell.

Taste: Intensely sweet and bitter. Very fruity, raisiny and pruny with bitter pine tastes. Nice.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, leaning towards heavy. An aftertaste that lasts forever.

Drinkability: One of the reasons to stop by Dr. Dremo's if you ask me. I had to remove their Strong Ale from my palate and this did the trick. I'll definitely have this again and again. Better than Cats.

11-06-2003 13:03:02 | More by ManekiNeko
grynder33

Wisconsin

4.22/5  rDev +1%

Its beers like this that is so frustrating about web sites like this. You read so many good reviews about a beer,and then you search the web sites, and you pay the ridiculous amount of shipping to sample the stuff, and then you find out it 's one of the best beers you 've ever tasted and now your only option is to pay about 10 dollars for a 22 er. Wonderful, wonderful stuff, now how does the working man get this to Wisconsin?

11-05-2003 21:49:34 | More by grynder33
guinness33

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

my first sampling of a stone brew was a decidedly good one. the arrogant bastard ale was most definitely a big beer, but not as big as the bottle or other reviews had lead me to believe. mind you, this brew is not necessarily for the faint of heart, but it won't knock you on your ass with no hope for recovery either. it pours a dark, dark reddish brown colour with a nice tan head that lasts and lasts and lasts. there is a dominant spicy smell here along with toasted hops and a sweetness which is not as apparent in the taste, where the toasted flavours dominate a complex flavour scheme that does have that sweet but slightly bitter finish to it. this one most definitely gets better as it warms, so let it sit out for a while if it's wicked cold from being in your fridge. a most enjoyable brew overall.

11-03-2003 22:24:18 | More by guinness33
CBFanWish

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

I have wanted to try this for a long time. The bottle tried to hurt my feelings, but it failed, for it was wrong. I do like this beer. A lot. A copper colored beer with a sweet yet bitter taste. Very hoppy and nicley malted at the same time for a near perfectly balanced brew. The alcohol was just the right level. The warm feeling it left made me decide to drink a lot of this this winter.

11-01-2003 15:51:09 | More by CBFanWish
frank4sail

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

Pale amber look with a nice white head with good retention. carmel malt sweetness on the tongue initially. This malt taste is then cut with a slightly astringent citrus hop wave. Quite smooth and drinkable. It went well with the mussles and friets at Eulogy.

10-31-2003 02:59:14 | More by frank4sail
byrd

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%

Dark copper-brown in color with a very nice frothy, 3/4in head that has nice retention. The head is quite sticky, and holds to the sides of the glass. Slight haze is noticeable, but it’s tough to tell through the fairly dark color. Lots of malty caramel notes are noticeable during the pour. Once in the glass, the aroma of malts is still apparent, but hops stand out more - citrusy, grapefuity hop aromas that are quite clean and somewhat sweet. Nice smooth caramel maltiness up front. Then a bit of citric hops picks up with roasted notes being more noticeable towards the end. Roasted notes linger in the back of the mouth after the finish. Some sweet hop notes are also noticeable towards the end. The body is medium to full with not much carbonation, but the hop bite seems to make up for that. A slight hint of alcohol is noticeable, but doesn’t hinder the flavor any. Nice brew, well balanced, and quite drinkable. Definitely lives up to its reputation.

10-24-2003 16:26:25 | More by byrd
Itlan

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%

As few months ago I would have rated this beer a 3.0 based on the amount of alcohol. What I've found over the summer is that this beer is extremely cravable. It does look great in the glass. You can always spot your Arrogant Bastard (ABA) in a crowd of beers.

The smell is distinctive and strong but not overwhelming. So far, just by sight and smell, you know it's going to be good. Taste, well on a hot day when you want to cool off, the taste is perfect. A strong thirst quenching ale. On a cold day, the first sip comes off as strong and it takes a couple to get re-introduced to the beer. In fact, you almost need someone to introduce you to your first ABA in order to fully appreciate the beer. I have found that ABA goes better with friends.

Mouthfeel - ABA hits the mouth hard at first. You know it's there and it sends the beer senses tingling. After the first sip, it just feels right.

Drinkability - well I'm a light-weight drinker but even I can power down two of these. Now a word of caution, ABA goes down well after drinking other types of beer but if you drink it first, other beers don't always work as followers. I find that ABA on tap is more drinkable than out of the bottle. It does pair well with food, especially the finger food sort.

My conversion came after attending the Stone 7th anniversary party this summer. After a few of these in the hot sun, I was converted to ABA. Enjoy!

10-22-2003 21:53:02 | More by Itlan
saltydog

Appearence: Reddish amber color, very clear, big, foaming head when poured, which took quite some time to fade, leaving lace behind. Smell: Massively heavy hops. Some caramalt malt aroma is in the background if you look for it. Taste: a malty sweetness battles with a heavy resinous hop soup, and eventually loses out. Mouthfeel is tingly, with hop bitterness finishing out. Drinkability: An aggressive, memorable beer. I'm not really a big hophead, but this is very well-made and succeeds at what it aims for.

10-20-2003 01:36:44 | More by saltydog
Scoats

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%

Jeez Louise is this beer bangin! It begins with a big up=front hoppiness with a wonderful simultaneious underlying chocolateliness. Then it is all big IBUs from there. This is an amazingly constructed beer. This is much more than just a big hop beer; it has a lot going on underneath.

10-15-2003 20:15:26 | More by Scoats
gnaussea

4.18/5  rDev 0%

Reviewing it at a 4, I still urge you not to be fooled by my numbers. I review harshly. While back in the day I loved stone IPA, but saw arrogant bastard a bit over the top and not quite as balanced, after picking it back up I must say I was wrong. If your pallette has been broken in to good IPA's, you will find the bitterness of this beer very refreshing and not overbearing. For you people who are thrown off by the bitterness, I asure you, there are other flavors here. A dash of caramel, a bit of fruitiness near the end, and the hint of spice interlaced with the hops that you come to expect from a good stone brew. Cheers!

10-15-2003 01:10:52 | More by gnaussea
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.