Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros

sarick84, Jul 18, 2013

Caudalie, Jul 17, 2013

Okisailor, Jul 17, 2013

Ultra-Plinian, Jul 17, 2013
4.44/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Bloody crimson copper is the color. THICK head, only the head along the edge of the glass dissipates, creating mushroom cloud-like structure in the center of the glass. This is gonna be good.

S: Smells really great, hoppy. Is this a double red ale? Nah it's hoppier. Smells like cedar, desert rose underneath those hops. Maybe a pinch of brown sugar.

T: Double ale at least. DAMN this brew is good, woody, bitter, VERY hoppy. I think there is a sweet fruit in here trying to hold back the tide of intensity, perhaps a lone strawberry. The balance, intensity and synergy of this ale is simply off the charts. The refined quality of this brew reminds me of when I tasted Stone Ruination Ale (for the first time) during a blind tasting. A clear winner. Is that Pinyon Pine? Do they brew these in Desert Oak barrels or am I crazy? Something different here.

M: Hops OVERLOAD (but in a good way). This ale really challenges you to take it all in. Just pummels you.

O: A balanced, refined and STRONG ale that really challenges you. In-your-face, never-gonna-stop attitude with a few different flavors & scents that come together nicely and keep it interesting. Intensely eloquent.

Direx, Jul 17, 2013
4.64/5  rDev +11.3%

Growing up in San Diego and going to Cal State San Marcos, Stone has been a staple in my life. There once was a time back in my freshman year of college (2002) when I was not worthy. My Fraternity insisted on kegs of arrogant bastard and my palate was not adept to the wonderfulness that is this beer. These days all I got to say is damn I love this beer. Over the past decade I have always looked forward the to malty, burned sugar, and hoppy nose. The color is a fantastic deep red. The flavor is plenty malty, with nice caramel tones, and a nice strong bitterness. Think a Doppelbock DIPA. It's rad! The mouthfeel is a little over carbonated but I won't dock them any points for that. Give it a try!

CCStix, Jul 17, 2013
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Different taste but really good. The more I taste it the better it tastes. I don't know if not having their name on the label is a gimmick but I think I would tell everyone about how good this beer tastes. This company has been very consistent with quality.

Abilow33, Jul 17, 2013

jschott75, Jul 17, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -22.1%

AWB3, Jul 16, 2013

Stephanieha, Jul 16, 2013

E1D0L0N, Jul 16, 2013

pastramionrye7, Jul 16, 2013
4.19/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

There are several ironies afoot here. First, as a long-time reviewer with over 2,300 reviews under my belt, I have not reviewed this one until now, despite its being one of the most reviewed beers on this site. Second, I HAVE reviewed Double Bastard, which leaves me scratching my head.

From the bottle: Let's come back to that as an edit. I want to drink some beer. "'You're Not Worthy'"; "ar-ro-gance (ar o gans) n. The act or quality of being arrogant; haughty; undue assumption; overbearing conceit."; "This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory - maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it's made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this."; "At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth on an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged they tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale ... even outright attempts to copy it ... but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!"; "Ingredients: Nothing but the finest barley, most aggressive hops, clearest water, our proprietary yeast strain and abundant arrogance."; "QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS? If you don't like this, keep it to yourself - we don;t want to hear from any sniveling yellow-swill-drinkin' wimps, 'cause Arrogant Bastard wasn't made for you."

Larry, the former bartender at Hemingway's in the Oakland section of Pittsburgh, used to refer to this as "The Medicine" because no matter how bad a day (or morning) you might be having, he believed that this would put you "on the Recovery Trail". Ha! He once put down an affluent customer who was waffling over Bud Light, Coors Light or Miller Lite the morning of the guy's daughter's graduation as I looked on, amused as hell, and he poured himself a draught of "The Medicine". Larry, this one's for you!

My pour created just over a finger of dense, foamy, tawny head that sat atop the beer in arrogant defiance of my desire to begin drinking. Color was a garnet-red with NE-quality clarity. Nose was ticklish with its inherent heat along with a toffee-like sweetness. I felt as though I might sneeze for a moment. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full and the heat of the alcohol felt as though it were evaporating on my tongue. I may not be worthy of this beer! Getting past that, I began to take in flavors of anise; dried, dark fruit; caramel/toffee and an odd mintiness. Finish was dry, to the point that it was making me sweat and tear up involuntarily. I could only bow in deference to its glorious intensity. Make sure that you know what you are getting into if you open a bottle of Bastard!

woodychandler, Jul 16, 2013

Maineraidah, Jul 15, 2013

Cejohantges, Jul 15, 2013

jroberts8811, Jul 15, 2013

Rheaume17, Jul 14, 2013
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.