Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Real hoppy,
lively. Fun before dinner as tad bitter and dry aftertaste. Citrus and
spice. Redish brown with foamy
head is interesting, need to swish in a big beer glass. Works well on tap too, had at Blue Tusk in Syracuse in late 2004 and had stouty roast in it and bitterness.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1 pint 6 fl. oz. poured into a nonic pint glass.

A - Pours a really beautiful dark amber color with a 2 inch khaki color head that shows very nice lacing.

S - Very malty with hop essence.

T - VERY BITTER. Left a very bitter hop taste in my mouth for some time after each sip. Almost like pure grapefruit extract. The malt taste is present but the bitterness takes a front seat.

M - Left a creamy feeling in my mouth with good carbonation.

D - I can recommend this being good with a heavy meal. I had this on St. Patrick's Day with my corned beef and potato feast and it was still quite something. This beer is not for everyone.

Awesome brew that tasted better than expected and went down smooth.
Poured from 22oz bottle into pint glass.
A- Large off-white head and beautiful copper color
S- Strong complex smell I can't put my finger on
T- Carmel and malt with hint of hops
D- Extremely smooth but has a nice kick. Drinkable for a strong ale.
Bottle had 10/24/10 drink by date, drank on 10/03/10 and beer was still extremely fresh.
I'm trying just about every Stone beer this month. So far everything has been excellent.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a reddish-hued brown with a nice head and plenty of lacing. The aroma starts out with plenty of bitter, resinous hops as well as some toasted malt and accompanying sweetness. Good caramel scent, which follows through into the flavor with a bit of toffee. Some floral hops alongside the bitter piney hops. Medium-bodied and well carbonated; very drinkable.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Pours clear dark amber with a big head that dies down quickly into a silky thin layer of bubbles that are off-white in color.
S: The smell isn't quite that strong, but there are distinct aromas of piney hops with some subtle hints of the underlying malt.
T: There is a bold taste of piney, oily hops with a lot of bitterness in the finish. In general, the taste is well balanced and the hops aren't that overpowering.
M: It feels medium-bodied and crisp on the palate.
D: If you can get through the hoppy bitterness, it's relatively easy to drink because the alcohol is rather well hidden.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color with a huge head that really delivers in the lacing department

Smell: Ruby red grapefruit, with an underlying caramel aroma

Taste: The citrusy grapefruit is front and center, while the caramel tries to fight it out and ultimately succeeds somewhat by mid-palate; after the swallow, both flavors come together in the finish, creating a unique aftertaste that has a lot of brown sugar sweetness and grapefruit bitterness - kind of like a grapefruit topped with sugar for breakfast

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: The last bottle I had of this was a couple of years old and was a bad experience; a fresh bottle has a lot more delicate and citrusy hoppiness and a balanced malt profile; lesson learned about aging the Bastard

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

I have always said it, Arrogant Bastard is the best invention in beer that has borne a true American Signature.

Malt!...Hops!....I might have given it back right then, right there if the bottle had not taunted be so. Bold aromas of caramelized malts, sweet dark fruits. Toasty and complcex. Waters the palate.

Deep mohogany in color. Ultimately clear. Dense tan head falls to about 1" and remains. Very nice lacing. A thick pour with medium carbonation.

Imediate assault of an aggressive malt and hop blend. Sweet caramels, figs, dates, a bit of licorice, vanilla, cherries....and a kitchen sink. (it's all in there). Agressive hop flavoring quickly rounds out this full-to-thick bodied delight. Bittering is well within balance of the malt. Complex through the body and gaining through the finish with the higher detection of alcohol. Viscosity to the mouth is not as great as I had expected from the appearance. Finishes nicely, not too drying or tacky for a high gravity or high alcohol beer.

Bittering hops dominate and mask subtle sweetness left in the background. Flavors of those dark fruits linger for quite a while. Well attenuated, melanoiden laiden, yet creamy and full-magical!

The malt bill seems characteristic of a bold Dopplebock, yet hopped with a ton of Chinook- much like an Imperial IPA. A monster yeast gives a complex and rich fruit flavor. It's not a sipper, but we won't be doing keg-stands with this one either. A beer that has won my respect, regardless what the bottle might say.

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

Bottle: Poured a deep opaque brown colored beer with a medium head with standard retention. Aroma is very powerful and consist mostly of what I think to be hops, a sweet and bitter type of hops though. Taste is quite unique for me (I think this is my first foray into the strong American Ale type) and consist mostly of some strong bitter hops and underline by some very subtle sweetness. Wow, this is like being hit on the head with a brick – plainly lots of malt and hops are included in here. The alcohol is a subtle but complement very well.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

4.2/5  rDev +1%

My first Stone beer (IPA) was quite an experience, so I'm approaching Arrogant Bastard Ale with a great deal of anticipation and some pretty high hopes. The label attempts to frighten me off, but fails.

Dark coppery orange with a pale toffee-colored crown. The beer looks slightly menacing, if that's possible. I think I hear an intermittent growling sound, but decide that it must be my imagination. The head is not as generous as it might be (ultimately a barely-covering film), but does leave behind some nice, dense sheets of lace. If my first two are anything to go by, Stone beers are uniformly gorgeous in the glass!

The aroma is interesting. I can't say that I've smelled a beer quite like it before. It's a sort of sweet, caramel-like, roasted maltiness infused with citrus zest. If this beer smells like it tastes, I'm in for a real treat. Arrogant Bastard is not called a strong/old ale for nothing.

The flavor is strong, assertive, aggressive and in-your-face. The label does not lie. I find myself sipping this beast, not because of the alcoholic strength (a relatively tame 7.2%), but from the sheer taste bud swamping, gustatory overload. If it intensifies as it warms, my tongue may throw up the white flag.

Citrus fruity hops are on full display. However, because there's such a huge, caramel-like, toasted maltiness, they aren't as upfront as in the IPA. Malt-hop balance is achieved... a remarkable feat since each one threatens to crush its side of the overburdened scales. Wow! Boatloads of malt and hops slammed together, yet coerced into a unified whole.

Stone has impressed the hell out of me again. While I don't believe that it rises to the heights of their beloved (in my case) IPA, I can recognize Arrogant Bastard Ale as yet another superb example of this brewery's brilliance. Am I worthy? Barely. Just barely.

4.48/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured a deep brown with a nice creamy head and thick lace throughout. Smell has a definate nuttiness as well as some hops, smells very thick. Taste is caramel and nutty as I expected from the smell, but has a nice dry hopped back. Very nice and smooth, leaves you wanting more. This is a definate keeper and a good way to welcome myself back home from vacation!

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Very dark brown with some reddish tints (in the right light), "off-white" foam.

S: Not as intense an aroma as you might expect. Some dark fruit, caramel, and hops.

T: The first thing you notice is the intense bitterness, which I love. There are some subtler caramel flavor.

M: Great mouth feel: good amount of carbonation. The bitterness comes into play here as it lingers.

D: A great beer, but I would not call it very "drinkable". Something I'd recommend trying, however.

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Fell in love with Stone after having this beer. I loved everything
about it, The bottle was awesome looking the name was great. The story on the back was also very cool. This beer was just a really good starting point for me when venturing out into the beer world. Had my first bottle on 4-17-2008. The beer poured out as a deep amber color. The head is pretty thick looking and white. head that laces the glass really well. The smell was stronger than what I was used to at the time, It was big and hoppy, a subtle sweetness on the nose as well. The taste has a strong pine flavor to it. The hop character of this beer is very good. The other tastes were of some caramel malts that gave is a slight sweetness and a light wooden flavor too. The mouthfeel is medium and had a good drinkablity to it. Overall, I think this beer is a classic in it's own way. As long as Stone makes this beer I don't see them going out of business anytime soon. It's a beerthat's got the balls to stand up against all the others out there and say "I'm better than you".

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.