Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

4.7/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a deep reddish amber with great carbonation and head retention.

S- Hop bitterness with hints of caramel, malt, hints of grapefruit and pine as well.

T- Bittersweet. Tons of hop flavor; citrus and grapefruit at first and then some pine. Slight amount of malt, and it didn't interfere with the hops and bitterness, but gave the drink a lot more character by being there. More on the bitter side which is how I like it. All aspects of the taste are balanced so well. There are notes of roasted and burnt malts, and it's quite elaborate. Tastes like an IPA base with some of the character you see in porters. Coffee and chocolate were deep in this one and quite subtle.

M- Creamy and smooth. Medium full body. Slightly dry and sticky finish.

D- Aggressive taste, while easy to drink and even subtle at times. The cockiness on the back of the label was justified. There is 7.2% of alcohol in it, but I forgot about that with all the flavor. This drink is quite impressive, and I think I prefer it over their OAB. I'm not sure that Stone has or will make a beer which isn't exceptional.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Pours out deep hazy almost dark red amber color. A massive creamy head, three finger in size. Lacing around the glass is consistent and the retention of the head last until the last drop.

The aroma is rich with hops! Sour citrus and pine notes, yet the sweet malt and alcohol pulls through.

Rich flavor of intense hops. Sour citrus and bitter pine hops dominate. But at the same time the malt in this ale still makes is presence. Finishes dry and hoppy, mostly the pine notes but the citrus lingers on the palate.

Full bodied and dangerous to drink haha! Slightly slick on the tongue.

Over all this Ale is Arrogant and perfect for arrogant bastards like me!! Major thumbs up!!!

4.12/5  rDev -1%

Poured from 22oz bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours dark amber with a finger of slightly "dirty" foam.

Smell: When smelling this at first and it is still cold, nice mixture of caramel malts and a hoppy character. As it warms up it really accentuates the malt character.

Taste: Bready malt at first taste. As it rolls towards the back of your tongue it has a really intense bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a dry finish.

Drinkability: Very good beer that impressed me more as my palate has improved since the days when I like this only for its name. I think this is a steal of a deal for about $5/bomber.

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Time to revisit the first "extreme" beer I ever had. It was only three years ago that, at the end of the night, some friends saw this on the menu and ordered me one. Not one minute after receiving it, the group I was with announced we were all leaving, so I had to chug down a bomber of this. It didn't take me long to realize this beer was unlike anything I'd ever had before.

APPEARANCE: Pours an amber brown with ruby highlights and a sizable, large-bubbled beige head. It has a lot of staying power too - morphing into a rocky cap that doesn't dissipate. Tons of lace is visible all down the glass.

SMELL: Very modestly hoppy. With all of the insane hop profiles of so many beers, this one kind of subdues itself just enough, but still is able to let you know what's in store. The hops are citrusy and spicy and highlight a sneaky caramel malt base that lurks in the background.

TASTE: Usually it's obvious which flavor to begin describing, but AB is so balanced, the decision is tough. The beer starts off somewhat on the malty side, lending a sweetness that will soon be balanced out by some tasty hops. They come on quite strong and are predominantly citrusy and piny. The finish remains hoppy and lingers long.

MOUTHFEEL: Perhaps the one area where I feel this beer is lacking. It seems somewhat thick at first, but I can't help but find it a bit watery. I think with a beer this robust, it should have a bit more body to it.

DRINKABILITY: Excellent. The 7.2% is well disguised. It's strange how our definition of "extreme" has changed when one can imagine themselves drinking AB all night, but it really is the case.

After that first taste of Arrogant Bastard three years ago, I had to look it up online. A quick Google search led me to my first ever visit to beeradvocate.com. I have a lot to owe to AB and rightfully so. It's a great beer.

3.15/5  rDev -24.3%

A: It's a dark shade of brown when poured, and in the glass it is nearly black with only a hint of brown. It is opaque, and has a very small head of white foam that quickly dissipates. Good lacing.

S: This has a very odd smell to it...it has a sour scent, like spoiled milk.

T: I'm so relieved this doesn't taste spoiled. I'm not sure what's up with the smell. I smell my glass before pouring so I know it's not that. The taste is very nice, and there's a smooth blend of malt and hops. It's very well balanced.

M: The mouthfeel is very nice. It is smooth with just enough kick to wake up the mouth. I'd say that it's a full bodied beer, but it borders on medium depending on the sip.

O: Overall the beer is really good, but the smell is very off-putting. I'm not sure what's wrong with my bottle. I would have to buy the beer again to determine whether or not it's the beer or my individual bottle. As it stands, I can't even rate this as average because of the smell.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.