Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros

ZachRusk, Dec 15, 2013

RangnaR, Nov 19, 2013

LooseMoose1978, Jan 28, 2013
4.72/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Well, tomorrow is last day of classes and I meant to save my baby for then. But, not paying attention, I accidently grabbed this from my fridge when I meant to grab a Koch's and I had opened this before I realized it. Oh well...

My tongue is in spasim. This is my kinda beer. Big, rich, full, dark, and flavor packed--especially in bittering qualities. Notes of grapefruit, lemon, bittersweet spices, etc overwhelm the taste buds. Mellowing carmel malts take some off this bastards bite, but it is still one mean beer. Warming yet fitting for a nice spring day...one bomber is all thats needed to take the stress of four classes off my mind. With that in mind Im gonna cut this review short. While I do love writing reviews its too pretty outside and I have a far too good of a beer not to be outside enjoying both.

one last word--WOW--Gonna give every effort to track down a sample of the double bastard once I go home.

WOW

allboutbierge, Apr 28, 2003
2.93/5  rDev -29.6%

This brutal little number poured out with a very nice looking colour that was crimson to purple. It formed a substantial creamy head of tan that held nicely and left gobs of lacing as the drink was drunk.

The nose is nicely arranged with fresh floral hoppiness. It is somewhat grassy and herbal, but mostly citrus bloom. The malt character underneath smells potent and mixes with a biting alcohol scent to throw some roughness on the pile. Crusty. Stinging. Astringent. But a lovely bloom of hoppiness.

The taste is not all that special. I think it is a bit abrasive for my tastes. I have no problem with the decent amount of hop character displayed here. In fact, that is the saving grace for this brew. It has a crusty and biting side to it that is not all that appealing to me. I guess I am not worthy, but this is just not my style. It just feels dirty and brutal save for the hops. This feels more assaultive than many huge brews that I've had. Astringent.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a nice body to it. It is just wasted on a sort of wild charactered brew. Coats the mouth nicely and the head throws off some creaminess.

The drinkability is average. I see no reason to drink this when there are beers that are much less offensive that have a true style to them. By far the worst Stone beer that gets the most press and praise. The strong ale catch all is just not a solid situation. I prefer structure. This is a bit messy for me. If this thing were about 14% abv, I think I would be more appreciative of it because I could forgive some of the harsh abrasiveness. As it stands it tastes like a monster only it is not really that strong considering. This beer has a great name. I wish it deserved to be so arrogant though. I think some people have been punked out by the smack talk on the bottle. Nice Jedi mind tricks. Stone's other products are much more deserving of the praise. They make some truly stellar beers. That being said, I am not feeling this one and I will not pretend to be.

SupaCelt, Nov 09, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

pours a reddish brown with red hues from the light, beige head that quickly drops into a thin haze.
the aroma is very rich, malty, earthy, hop funk, a hint of some fruit maybe apricots or peaches.
the flavor is very rich with malt, hopsack,carmelized malt, fruit maybe apricots, lingering bitterness.
this is an awersome beer, so glad there is distro in michigan now.

plaztikjezuz, Oct 21, 2006

Jeeb, Jul 09, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

Wortman1998, Oct 23, 2013

smekermann, Sep 05, 2013
4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Bomber from Cork & Bottle for 4.99 served in an SA glass.

A pretty reddish-copper brew fills my glass with only a small amount of white foam on top. The aroma is predominately hops with a bit of pine added in. It tastes like some DIPAs I've had, with that intensity of hops but with an added bit of toffee and cocoa. The body is dense, but not porter level. It has a mild dryness but it doesn't detract from enjoying the brew. I'm glad i went with this impulse buy, but I wish it was actually available in Iowa.

DesMoinesMike, Aug 04, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Great clear copper brown color with very ample head after agresive pour. Dense lacing of the glass. Not getting a huge hop scent, mostly wheat and light citrus. caramel, pine, good carbination, lingering hops. This is a pretty decent beer that is not difficult to find.

Glibber, Aug 11, 2012

jbarletto, May 18, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Jackal, Jul 26, 2013
4.68/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance- Deep rich Burgundy color with a nice frothy head, which laced nicely all the way down the glass.

Smell- Smells of Chinook, biscuity, malty, and a very nice bread-like aroma

Taste-bitter up front, middle, and end. Come to think of it, this is one bitter beer. The bitterness even lingered around on my palate after I swallowed. The beer had a nice crisp clean taste overall. Stars with a warming alcohol sensation and end with some major hops.

Mouthfeel- Nice mix of malt and hops. Nice full bodied beer, surprisingly easy to drink despite it's original gravity.

Drinkability- Great beer, not a good choice for a session beer, but I could probably enjoy three of these in one sitting without any trouble, just get a Designated driver.
I really like this beer, and would put it in my top ten list

deanhead, Oct 12, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from bomber into pint glass

A: Poured rich golden amber, finger of head with lacing. Very nice looking brew.

S: For a hoppy ale I did not pick on the hops on the nose. Quite mild in fact.

T & M: Great taste, Stone is an amazing brewery. Floral textures but the bitterness is what is the main aspect of the brew. Mouthfeel excellent as well, this is a brew that lingers after a drink. I am very impressed.

D: Definitely drinkable, although with high alcohol content and the bitterness I don't know how sessionable this brew would be. I have yet to have a beer from Stone that in any manner disappointed me. They continue to surpass my expectations at every turn.

elniko, Jun 15, 2008

BuckeyeSlim, Feb 17, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

nharres, Dec 10, 2013

Honus1, Dec 17, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Andonato, Feb 26, 2013
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.