Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros

Jeeb, Jul 09, 2013

Wortman1998, Oct 23, 2013
4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Bomber from Cork & Bottle for 4.99 served in an SA glass.

A pretty reddish-copper brew fills my glass with only a small amount of white foam on top. The aroma is predominately hops with a bit of pine added in. It tastes like some DIPAs I've had, with that intensity of hops but with an added bit of toffee and cocoa. The body is dense, but not porter level. It has a mild dryness but it doesn't detract from enjoying the brew. I'm glad i went with this impulse buy, but I wish it was actually available in Iowa.

DesMoinesMike, Aug 04, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Great clear copper brown color with very ample head after agresive pour. Dense lacing of the glass. Not getting a huge hop scent, mostly wheat and light citrus. caramel, pine, good carbination, lingering hops. This is a pretty decent beer that is not difficult to find.

Glibber, Aug 11, 2012

mfl620ks, Mar 02, 2014

briiguy, Feb 17, 2012

Jackal, Jul 26, 2013
4.68/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance- Deep rich Burgundy color with a nice frothy head, which laced nicely all the way down the glass.

Smell- Smells of Chinook, biscuity, malty, and a very nice bread-like aroma

Taste-bitter up front, middle, and end. Come to think of it, this is one bitter beer. The bitterness even lingered around on my palate after I swallowed. The beer had a nice crisp clean taste overall. Stars with a warming alcohol sensation and end with some major hops.

Mouthfeel- Nice mix of malt and hops. Nice full bodied beer, surprisingly easy to drink despite it's original gravity.

Drinkability- Great beer, not a good choice for a session beer, but I could probably enjoy three of these in one sitting without any trouble, just get a Designated driver.
I really like this beer, and would put it in my top ten list

deanhead, Oct 12, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from bomber into pint glass

A: Poured rich golden amber, finger of head with lacing. Very nice looking brew.

S: For a hoppy ale I did not pick on the hops on the nose. Quite mild in fact.

T & M: Great taste, Stone is an amazing brewery. Floral textures but the bitterness is what is the main aspect of the brew. Mouthfeel excellent as well, this is a brew that lingers after a drink. I am very impressed.

D: Definitely drinkable, although with high alcohol content and the bitterness I don't know how sessionable this brew would be. I have yet to have a beer from Stone that in any manner disappointed me. They continue to surpass my expectations at every turn.

elniko, Jun 15, 2008

Andonato, Feb 26, 2013

JOrtt, Jul 28, 2013

BalancingBrooms, Aug 08, 2014
4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Pour is exceptionally dark brown, reminds me of syrup in colour. Nice, very thick tan head on top, huge. Nose is largely roasted malt (light, not stouty) and floral hops.

Taste starts out nice and sweetly malty, then the hops show up with pine grapefruit effects on the back of the tongue. Roasted malts then show up about midway for a short cameo, and finally, some more of those hops do a nice closing routine with a hint of alcohol. Depthy and interesting. Nice lingering flavour like an imperial stout gives this one an extra 1/2 a point.

Mouth on this is good, full, creamy, good bitters. The drinkability on this one is solid, if not completely remarkable. No problem drinking it though.

Bottom line: Very solid beer, a lot of depth, and quite well balanced. It has some aggressive hop moments, but it always manages to bring them back into balance before they get entirely out of control. An impressive effort.

CortexBomb, Nov 10, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

From Notes:
Hazy brown amber liquid poured gently from the bottle. Head is like a maniac on the loose ... 3 fingers in width. Nose is far too faint for my tastes. Pine, caramel, orange, and butter. I really have to strain to make out these scents. Taste is massive pine, burnt caramel, diacetyl, and pleasing bitterness. At the tail end I detect some pleasant grain. Mouth is perfectly modertate. I didn't care for this (I wasn't worthy?) the first several times I tried it. Something about the fruitiness didn't seem to mesh with the caramel. I had no such issues this time.

TheBungyo, Jul 01, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Dark mahogany in color with ruby highlights, a half centimeter cream colored head. The malt jumped out at me first from the aroma, dark fruits like plums and figs, maybe a tad of black licorice, and some brown sugar and molasses. But not far behind the malt there are substantial hops, pungent floral notes with a citrusy edge.

The taste like the aroma has a lot going on with both the malt and hops. Fruity notes right up front plums, figs, dates, dark grapes, follow quickly caramelly malt, plenty of brown sugar and molasses, but also with a distinct biscuity flavor I wasn't quite expecting but was very welcome, and helped set it apart from similar beers for me. Some citrusy notes again from the hops, but primarily noticed the perfumy floral flavors from them. Rich mouthfeel, and full bodied, but not excessively sticky and heavy.

Overall: I have been burned by marketing before, but this bottle is hilarious AND the beer is awesome. A great blend and balance of flavors. One of the reasons I wish Stone was available here in Minnesota. A delight to drink.

dfried, Aug 13, 2007
2.8/5  rDev -32.7%

22oz bomber poured into imperial pint.

A- Pours a dark ruby red that is completely transparent. A big two finger's worth of head that sticks around forever and leaves some good lacing on the side of the glass.

S- A fair amount of malt but not overpowering. Reminds me slightly of a lager. I pick up a little bit of hops and kind of a weird fishy smell.

T- Malty and biscuity right off the bat. A slight amount of alcohol There is another off taste that I can't really define.

M- Feels slightly thin and the only carbonation seems to come from the head. There is a little heat on the finish from the alcohol.

D- I am about half way through a bomber and am really struggling to finish this. Not a whole lot going on and could use some cooling off.

Wisconsinality, Jun 27, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Pulled out a bomber and proceeded to bomb...

Dark ruby hues, much darker than Dorothy's slippers. White frothy head. Like a red wine, only more manly. Just kidding, I know less than zero about red wine. But it looks like what I imagine a manly red wine would look like.

Smells like Geotech I (inside joke, way, way, inside) which means it smells like mother nature.

Ok so the bottle was right. I'm not worthy! This beer bitch slaps you in the face. Unfortunately for this beer, I enjoy a good bitch slap now and then. We'll see who's standing at the end.

This is a good, strong, thick beer. Quite arrogant. Hated by many, loved by few. Nice 7.2%, I will be one of the few.

Overall: beer

PatronWizard, Aug 20, 2008

BugTownPub, Mar 01, 2012

LaChupacabra, Jan 26, 2013

Bromine, May 16, 2013

LMH88, Mar 05, 2014
4.95/5  rDev +19%

Sticky off-white head about 1/4 inch think. Dark, deep red in color. This was one of the most delicious smelling beers I've ever come across. Very fragrant hop aroma and plenty of other scents to keep the nose busy. Among them were toasted grains and fruit, mango I believe. The bitterness was huge at first, but after the first sip it seems appropriate due to the thick, dark malt flavor. The toastiness of the malt was certainly complimented by the lime-peel hop flavor. I noticed faint smoke somewhere in this complex brew. Somewhere towards the end of the extremely long finish, some retro-nasal coconut and diacetyl were noticed.

This was my first experience with the beer and the brewery. I’m glad to say that it all lived up to the hype. Thanks to TXHops for the beer.

yen157, Jan 01, 2003
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.