Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,926 | Hads: 10,060
4.23/5  rDev +1.4%

Smell: Slight piney smell with floral and caramel notes.

Taste: More malty than I'm used to in an IPA but the hops balance well. Again, piney hop flavor that is balanced well by the hops. Nice after taste.s

Mouthfeel: Nice smooth mouthfeel. malts and hops both linger in good balance

Drinkability: One bomber will do the job well but I have to convince myself to stop there. Excellent job Stone.

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

I had this beer from a 24oz bottle. The first time I had it, it was a LOT of beer in one bottle. It was heavy and bitter! I was not worthy just like the back of the bottle says. After going back to it knowing what to expect I loved it. It also prompted me to make my own american strong ale.

4.52/5  rDev +8.4%

The first time I had this beer, I thoroughly enjoyed it, so I decided to get a case of it to enjoy throughout the year. I'm still pretty new to the reviewing game, so here goes!

Bottle Appearance: Very cool bottle, and the humor on the labels makes it quite a good laugh to read. My favorite quote being on the case "Keep Refrigerated, Numbskull!"

Appearance: Very nice looking beer out of the bottle, leaves a very nice head, that hangs around quite a while, and leaves very nice lacing. Almost a copper red color to it, and the head was a nice tan.

Smell: Very strong scent of pine (because of the hops, I believe) However, there are other scents intermingling. I smelled also a bit of malt to it, almost like a caramel scent, and also a hint of a lemon zest to it, there is also a slightly roasted malt quality to it too, which gives a very nice depth to the scent.

Taste: Very hoppy. There is a taste of citrus that appears also with the hops.The malt does a great job balancing it out, and only gets bitter at the finish. I get almost a piney taste at first, and then the flavor simply explodes, lemon zest and hints of caramel in the beer, it's absolutely a joy to the senses, The finish of the beer is very dry. However, all the flavors are quite strong, which may scare some people away.

Mouthfeel: There was a bit of carbonation to it, which gave the beer a very interesting mouthfeel, the beer would almost coat the palate.

Drinkability: I find it to be pretty drinkable, however the strong flavor profile definitely doesn't make this a session beer (at least to me). This is a beer that I could have when I want a darn good beer, and want to know how real beer should taste.

Overall: A Bastard Everyone can love!

3.69/5  rDev -11.5%

Let me start out by saying I am not a big Stone fan. I think the hops are normally a bit extreme. This beer is no exception, I tried grading very objectively and most standards its a good beer. I personally only recommend Stone Beer's in general if you love hops to death. I can say I won't be buying this one again.

4.85/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is a good solid beer to go along with a strong flavored meal. I usually will have one with a steak or burgers but to be honest it's a good beer to have just about anytime.

If you can find it on tap it's worth it every time. I've only seen it at the Brewery and at Barney's Beanery but I'm sure there are more. Out of the bottle this is a great beer also.

Overall I highly recomend this beer to everyone, if you like dark beer or not it's worth trying it out.

2.72/5  rDev -34.8%

Slightly disappointed with this beer. Heard such great things but it didn't do much for me. The head was quite large and stuck to glass, color was dark brown and smelled overly caramel like. The taste was good at first but the sweetness and caramel taste was unpleasant. I could definitely taste the hops which were quality but it seemed to sweet and lacking much fizz. I'm thinking I got a bad bottle and willing to try again but first time was highly dissapointing.

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

I give this beer a 5 for appearance. Sure, it's a gorgeous, deep dark beer with a menancing reddish glow to it, and it pours with a thick head worthy of Belgian beers, but it ascends to the next level with the best bottle design in the industry.

A strong malty scent is hightlighted with a floral hoppy zip; Stone is certainly one of the more masterful hoppers out there, and they really get the aroma into their beers.

To be fair, the bottle warned you. This is a rough-and-tumble, take-no-prisoners strong ale. The malt character is present but doesn't get in the way of some powerfully bitter hops that leap to the forefront of your palate. The faint alcohol burn is present, but contrubutes quite well to the character of this ale, like a good whiskey.

Drinkability? It seems wasteful to drink too much Arrogant Bastard. It's so powerfully distinct in its big, up-front flavors, that I appreciate it best in the context of other beers. After enjoying an AB, IPA's seem crisper, english bitters seem smoother, and doppelbocks seem sweeter.

4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

Clear red-brown in color. Not much of a head, but what's there sticks around. Pleasant fruity-sweet aroma. Lots of flavor -- mollases, chocolate and toasted maltiness and hops too. Rather light bodied for the intense flavor. Clean, dry finish. This one packs a punch while being very smooth. Nice. And dangerous.

3.4/5  rDev -18.5%

Considering Stone's IPA is currently my favorite brew, I wouldn't call myself a fizzy yellow beer drinker.

That said, what the hell is with this beer? Drinking this beer was like drinking a bunch of hops that were thrown in a juicer and this is what came out.

This definately wasn't my cup of tea. It's so strong it's going to kick you on your ass like the arrogant bastard it is, so do you want to spend your hard earned money on something that will behave in such ways? (especially when Stone is brewing stuff like Stone IPA)

Worth a try to laugh at the audacity. Pick up a bottle of Stone's IPA while your at it so after you spit this out, you have some backup.

4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours a beautiful ruby red, with a nice foamy head that stays for awhile. Lacing is great aswell.

Nose isn't too strong, and almost makes this beer seem tame at first. Though, I did get some nice fruity overtones.

Taste is very strong/aggressive while also offering complex flavors, then it kicks you in the ass when it finishes, but in a good way. I do taste slight roast grain and strong hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is a kick in the ass. First it seems mellow than right after it warms up the mouth a second later it slaps you in the face with an aggressive aftertaste that isn't for everybody. This is not a session beer by any means. This is a beer you will want to drink when you want something that is no holds bar tough, or an arrogant bastard.

I give them high kudos for the name they gave this beer. It fits it in everyway. Damn, arrogant bastard!!!

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Haven't had this one for a long time, so I picked up a cheap bottle at the local.

A- Pours a nice deep, rusty amber hue, producing a 1+ finger light tan/white head. Falls, but gives nice lacing.

S- I get some modest hops here. I can tell this one will be flavorfull. While the smell is lighter, I get the full range, oily-hops oders, a lot of earthiness and pine-notes, even a little citrus.

T- Oooh yes, I get hops. A nice surprise I did not remember is how balanced this guy is. I can get some sweet malt on the initial taste. It's very balanced. With the taste, I don't get any citrus in the hop. Rather, there is grassiness, earthiness, and some pine. A nice change from a floral, citrus bombs I've had lately.

M- This guy is good. It has a little weightiness on the palate which is nice. Plenty of carbonation to boot.

D- This is where this guy shines. Full flavor, great mini-session beer. Feel free to pull a couple back and enjoy.

This beer is a great value. I just thought I'd re-state the obvious. A bomber costs me $4.99, for that price that's almost two pints at home, compared to one (or less) at a bar.

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Very fruity aroma; strong citrus smell

Beautiful amber color; nice even head;

Very strong pungent flavor; strong bitter hops taste; you will say, "Damn that is an arrogant bastard" after the first taste.

Smooth mouthfeel; Goes down easy;

Definitely a beer to consider when making a selection.

From draft at Pete's Apizza (DC).

Appearance = Nice reddish brown color. A few dispersed carbonation bubbles. Solid two finger's worth of light tan head that goes down to beer algae. Nice lacing.

Smell= Very piney smell. Some hops in there. Caramel and hints of sweet malt. A little citrusy smell.

Taste = Like the smell but a bit less malty and a bit more hoppy. Grapefruit and hops dominate, but there's a nice malty backbone.

Mouthfeel = Low to medium amount of carbonation. Gets smoother as it warms. Medium to heavy body.

Drinkability = I first reviewed this beer on 4-19-2008. At that point, I hated hoppy and/or bitter beers. That has really changed, and now I love them. So, while back then I said this beer was too bitter for my taste, now I think it's just right.

4.32/5  rDev +3.6%

A: Poured into a tumbler with a nice, dark red-brown color and good clarity(though as dark as it was). There's a decent amount of head, and it leaves plenty of lacing.

S: Fruity and hoppy with some malt in there, too. Tells of good things to come.

T: Maltiness for a split second, and then big grapefruit hops flavor that sticks around for awhile. This is very bitter, but in a good way. Celebrate the great taste by drinking more.

M: Medium bodied with a really nice texture. It has just the right amount of carbonation.

D: This probably depends on your tastes, but if you like more bitter and hoppy beers, this is definitely more balanced and easier to drink than most.

This is a brew, and a name, that'll I'll remember.

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a dark rustic color, darker than i expected, with a half inch pillowey off white caramel toned head with good lacing. smell of strong hops, citrus and very sweet aromas throughout. taste of initial strong hops and citrus grapefruit notes. finished with a slight malt, a very good blend and combination of flavors that go together very well. this beer is flat out great! everything blends well and its very smooth, i would recommend this stuff to anyone, Great brew!

4.63/5  rDev +11%

22oz bomber in a pint glass.

This Beer Rocks!

A = Dark reddish brown. Clear. Two finger head with remarkable lacing. Nicely carbonated. If I saw someone with this at a bar I would ask what they were drinking.

S = Sweet malts, alcohol, faint citrus hops.

T = Complex. Sweet malts and alcohol before the Stone hops KICK in. Very well balanced. Dank pine and citrus hops throughout but they let other elements shine at the right time. Perfect representation of the style.

M = Refreshing. The hops and high ABV are noticeable but not overwhelming. Slightly thick and clinging aftertaste.

D = If you're looking for something to chill on for an hour or so, this is it. Not sure I would want more than one in a sitting.

One of my favorites.

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a 22 oz. torpedo into my Celtics Tervis Tumbler pint glass.

Pours dark red with a finger's thick head, which dissipates into a thin film of head which remained throughout.

Smell is very subtle, but malty if anything.

Taste is hoppy with maltiness. Medium bodied with a solid carbonation.

Overall a delicious American Strong Ale which is a year round offering from the guys at Stone Brewery down in San Diego.

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

bottle poured into a pint glass

A - a whole lot darker than I had imagined it would be, deep chocolaty-orange, nice looking huge fluffy head of foam

S - deep malty caramel scent with a touch of pine, hardly smells like alcohol at all

T - fairly bitter fruity hop taste with a malty caramel bite to it

M/D - a little heavy for my taste, yet very tasty

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

P - 22 oz bomber, red/white silk screen print, no freshness date.

A - deep orangish red amber, 2 fingers of tan head, sticky lacing, good retention, visible carbonation.

S - strong citrus aroma.

T - follows the nose with toasted malts up front followed by bitter pink grapefriut flavored alcohol.

M - medium bodied, good carbonation.

D - high abv might creep up on you after a few,but a good brew to start the night off with.

N- reasonably priced vs. the other imperial Stones.

3.91/5  rDev -6.2%

Appearance: dark amber with a small head

Aroma: slightly hoppy and with a little citrus. not a strong smelling beer, i had to work to get a smell

Palate: grassy with citrus; floral; bitter finish that feels good on the ol' mouth. roasted malts are also available to the taste buds. very good tasting

4.41/5  rDev +5.8%

Deep bronze color and massive head, fabulous retention and lacing, looks and behaves like a beer from an old cartoon. The nose is comprised of citrus, pine and oak with a floral hops, it is a little boozey but it adds to the character. The flavor is hops, and malt with a toffee sweetness, bitter bite at the finish. Medium body and carbonation, well crafted. One of the better ales I’ve had, really interesting and flavorful

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

Had on-tap at the Indianapolis Colts Grille in downtown Indy.

A: pours a deep mahogany, almost black color with a silky 1-finger head that leaves behind admirable lacing

S: caramel, vanilla, and some toastiness are very evident here, with some hints of floral hops

T: At first taste, roasted barley hits like a ton of bricks. There's so much barley detectable that some of the other flavors have trouble getting through. There is some definite toffee/vanilla at the tail-end.

M: medium-bodied with a perfect amount of carbonation, this beer is silky-smooth and stays around for quite some time after drinking

O: fantastic beer, and one that I will gladly enjoy again, maybe next time I will try it from the bottle though

4.11/5  rDev -1.4%

Deep, dark amber color with a cappucino head. Not strongly scented (out of the fridge) then BAM! take a drink. Strong malt taste but stronger hops - heavy on both, but perfect ratio. Gets slightly caramel sweet when warmer. Surprisingly, the name is not just a gimick - this brew lives up to its name.

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Pretty much the only reason I bought this was because of its name and the design that was on the bottle. I guess you could say I'm a sucker for their marketing scheme. The Arrogant Bastard poured out a brilliant dark shade of red, and I do mean dark. As far as color and appearance goes, this is one of the prettier beers I've ever seen. I could definitely smell the hops on this one, along with something else that could maybe be described as fruity, but the hops are prevalent for sure. The mouthfeel was a very pleasant sensation, very smooth, and the overall taste of the beer is like a swift kick to the taste buds. It comes on at first with a kind of sweet taste which is quickly followed up by all the hops that you got from the scent. On the whole this isn't a style of beer I'm particularly fond of, I can appreciate it for a beer or three, but not much more than that.

4.79/5  rDev +14.9%

22 oz. bomber purchased from Kappy's Liquors in Chicopee, MA by my fantastic girlfriend on 10/19/2010.

Appearance- Lots of amber and orange colors in the brew. Poured aggressively, the beverage achieved a massive 3-finger head that's taking forever to dissipate.

Smell- Just like another guy said, Pineapple! Lots of pineapple, citrus...an extravaganza of potent pine hops. This smells beautiful. Second ONLY to Troegs Nugget Nectar.

Taste- Year after year, this beer never ceases to amaze me. I taste so many different things in this beer. Everything from medicinal & rejuvenating spicy citrus hops to the delicate taste of raisins, the finish is very nice- bitter & decent warming sensation from the alcohol.

Mouthfeel- Not too slick & resin-like, like many high hop beers seem to have. Great consistency- exactly what I look for in a badass hoppy beer.

Drinkability- Only let me have one double deuce. Cause I could put these down all night long. They just taste so amazing. One of my top three American brews of ANY style.

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.