2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,471 | Reviews: 2,739 | Show All Ratings:
nate714

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

22oz bottle.
A: a nice dark gold color with a goldish white head.
S: very hoppy like an ipa. light malt lingers with the hoppy smell.
T: very very hopppy for an ale. i would say its an aggressive strong ale. maybe some caramel.
M: lots of carb but easy on the palate. very drinkable.
O: i really would consider this a double ipa. otherwise a solid beer!

02-09-2012 05:14:25 | More by nate714
griffinn

Oregon

4.68/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A: Deceptively ordinary dark ale. Some bottles possess the odd visible cluster of bitter yeast colonies floating about. Drink these, they're part of the experience.

S: A strange mystery alluding to the taste that is yet to come. It's hard to describe the number of smells clawing their way out of this beer, but it's safe to say that in spite of the intrigue they create, they are nothing compared to what you're about to experience. Indeed, that is the exact impression they give you.

T: A bizarre assault of bitterness and shockingly multi-layered flavor upon flavor, too many to be listed, several indescribable in modern English.

O: The Arrogant Bastard is a wonderful masterpiece of a booze that can only be enjoyed when the moon turns blue. True to the lengthy essay of a description slathered all over the back of every 22oz bottle (which wisely opens with the warning, "you probably won't like this beer,"), it is definitively an offensive, virtually undrinkable beer. It does not go well with any known food, nor does it really suit the palette of any known human on Earth.

That being said, it is truly a work of art, a dark sorcerer in the mouth that is truly great yet terrible, something instantly beloved yet despised for its harsh hoppy character and riveting but confusing enigma of flavors. This is a strong ale to be tasted and maybe even enjoyed, but cautiously respected. Quite simply, tasting it is like having your mouth ripped to pieces. It's the sort of thing everyone should definitely try at least once, just for the experience, so they can gain the tiniest understanding of what good beer should taste like, but it strikes me as being too far ahead of its time.

tldr; This is a great and powerful booze, but BE WARNED. You might not be ready.

03-29-2013 11:41:04 | More by griffinn
FairyFunBoy

4.85/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my go to beer. Having the luxury to live in San Diego gives me the pleasure of picking up this liquid gold for cheap.

A- Dark red/copper with a beige head. Great lacing down the pint.
S- Burst of hops! Citrus, pine, and grass smells aplenty with a sweet malt backing.
T- Bitter citrus hops accompanied with sweet malt and molasses.
M- Smooth, great carbonation, satisfyingly "thick"
O- If you haven't had this beer, get it. It is the sole reason I became the huge hop head I am. Huge hops with huge sweet malt. It's a perfect pairing. My favorite from Stone.

05-23-2013 02:25:23 | More by FairyFunBoy
CCStix

4.64/5  rDev +11%

Growing up in San Diego and going to Cal State San Marcos, Stone has been a staple in my life. There once was a time back in my freshman year of college (2002) when I was not worthy. My Fraternity insisted on kegs of arrogant bastard and my palate was not adept to the wonderfulness that is this beer. These days all I got to say is damn I love this beer. Over the past decade I have always looked forward the to malty, burned sugar, and hoppy nose. The color is a fantastic deep red. The flavor is plenty malty, with nice caramel tones, and a nice strong bitterness. Think a Doppelbock DIPA. It's rad! The mouthfeel is a little over carbonated but I won't dock them any points for that. Give it a try!

07-17-2013 03:40:23 | More by CCStix
Taylor1989

New Hampshire

2.95/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a deep brownish copper color with a bit of sediment and A half finger of dense of white almost tanish head Very good retention.

S: Rich malt, toffee, pine and citrus

T: Malty at the beginning a little caramel, some dark fruit in there aswell. Moderate bitterness that coates the sides of the tounge that lingers for a couple of seconds.

M: Medium body, smooth, with medium but slight sharp carbonation.

O: Good beer. Not the best stone beer but a good runner up.

09-26-2013 18:37:16 | More by Taylor1989
ottobon100

I love "hoppy" beers and this is my number one favorite! No one even comes close. I find it hard to believe Stone Ruination and Stone IPA beat this out on BA review rankings because to me they taste a tad watery in comparison. Don't get me wrong I like those beers but no where near as well as ABA. I think the writing on the bottle says it all.

03-22-2004 19:34:48 | More by ottobon100
hojuwestlake

4.58/5  rDev +9.6%

The first thing I notice is the burnt red color of the beer and the persistent head.
The aroma is very hoppy and an apple sweetness.The mouth feel is very smooth and slightly weighty on the tongue. Although it is smooth the flavor is very strong and to the point with lots of hops and caramel. The finish is quite bitter leaving the need for another taste.
I very much enjoyed this beer and would definitely recommend this beer to anyone looking for a beer with a dominent flavor!!!

08-29-2005 14:29:53 | More by hojuwestlake
ryalmighty1

Kentucky

4.63/5  rDev +10.8%

22 oz. bottle slowly poured into a pint glass (a few times to get it all)

Got this beer at the local liquor superstore. A little pricey, but they can get just about whatever you want.

Appearance: Very dark amber/kinda chocolatey in color, large head about a a finger and a half that persisted for quite a good time. Good lacing. Looks thick as pine tar

Smell: Hops, hops and more hops. Fruity, citrusy esters present, most definitely piney.

Taste: Now for the good part. This beer is stout, hoppy, citrusy and piney. Absolutely wonderful. Very warming as well. Bitter, yes, but so full of flavor it would be worthless if not for the bite it has.

Mouthfeel: Very, very creamy and a little fizzy at times. Easy to drink for how stout it is. Full bodied.

Drinkability: Rather easy for what it is, but if you are looking for a session beer, unless you like full bodied kick you in the shins ales, then this beer isn't for you. It will make you appreciate the subtleties of strong hops though.

Overall, I LOVE THIS BEER! First time I had it was at the Beer Sellar (actual spelling) in Newport, KY on tap, and it only keeps getting better every time I drink it. A definite A if not REALLY close to an A+

By the way, the warmer it got, the better it got. This beer really has it all...

10-01-2007 03:38:45 | More by ryalmighty1
LiquorLockerVP

Rhode Island

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

Pouring this one tonight for some friends, wanted to get familiar.

Appearance:
A red hued honey amber. Very tiny bits of gas bubbling below the surface. The head was a medium packed morange of slightly, slightly, orange cream color. The head retreats to the sides of the glass, leaving some whipped looking islands.

Smell:
I want to say a mix of toffee and pineapple. When I get my snout further into the glass, and go beyond the exploratory sniff, the citrus notes slide away to reveal the hot pins of alcohol. It is a pleasant transformation of aromas.

Taste:
Sweet, not really what I expected but very enjoyable. The grapefruit/pineapple is definetly there, with less malt than I had thought. The toffee nose is misleading. I expected a fatter a malt assault, but didn't get too much. After the sweetness, the tide of bitters came washing in to scourge the palate. It conveyed an overall refreshing taste, as opposed to the big belly weigh down I thought it would be.

Moutful:
Mild amount of carbonation, feels like more because of the hops. Has a nice sharp moutful and a good clean up. The sweet comes in, fizzes a bit, then is broomed up by bitters. The hops do linger a bit on the tongue though after a good scrubbing.

Drinkability:
Really nice, not the belly bomb I thought it would be. I could see it being a great food beer, but also would be a good "on the deck after mowing the lawn" beverage. Bottom line, it is alot less mouth fatty and more refreshing than I expected. Even better as it gets to room temperature, and burns off some of its tightness.

02-07-2009 20:54:06 | More by LiquorLockerVP
jeffsala

3.65/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Dark Brown with reddish hues. Poured into a tulip glass from a 22oz bomber. Very nice head that lingers in the glass.

S - Malty with sweet tones. Lightly hopped with citrus and pine smells present.

T - There is a lot going on with this brew. The malt hits first and then a pine/citrus tone as an aftertaste. It's an interesting beer and definitely well crafted, but not to the point where would put it on my top 10 list.

M - Rich and Satisfying. The ABV is not to noticeable and agreeable aftertaste.

D - To me this is a one and done beer as least when presented in the bottle. I remember a somewhat different experience when I had it on Draft at Mad Mex in State College PA. I would like to try it again on tap and then revise this review if the experience is different.

03-26-2009 13:03:27 | More by jeffsala
ensign11

Maryland

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

a - poured a deep amber from bomber with a nice foamy tan head

s - notes of hops, citrus, and caramel

t - first get the bitterness of the hops, then a hint of citrus, with finish of caramel

m - full bodied and well carbonated

d - can only drink a few of these at a time, but definitely one to have again

06-05-2009 13:26:13 | More by ensign11
Northjames

4.18/5  rDev 0%

22 oz bottle.

Great looking beer. Very clear, ruby/garnet color. A thick, rocky head that sticks to the sides of my mug, forming huge penisulas of solid foam.

I get a huge hit of grapefruit for aroma. A slight bready-ness.

Taste is a sharp sweetness, quickly mixing with citrus/grapefruit. The alcohol is present and pleasant. I get a little bit of a dark chocolate kind of taste (that I also find in Duvel). Aftertaste is very nice, biscuits or bread.

Drinkablity is high for a beer of this substantial character.

12-29-2010 23:15:05 | More by Northjames
mixitchugit

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

This is my favorte beer. Its is very drinkable but has the sublte alcohol notes along with an almost nutty essance and overall hoppy charecteristics. Its got great between dark and amber color. Its got a mild head that laces pretty good in the glass.

02-24-2011 19:52:12 | More by mixitchugit
PRpitmaster

Puerto Rico

4.72/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a dark red amber color with a nice thick, healthy head.
nice roasted malt aroma and sweet caramel, with a great citrus hop tone, reminded me of a very bitter grapefruit.
the grapefruit citrus flavor carries on to the taste, with a lingering malty aftertaste, with a nice hoppy kick. very nice dry finish, great beer, hope to get my hands on some more.

07-13-2011 01:26:04 | More by PRpitmaster
Kaie

Washington

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

Hands down one of the best strong ales out there. Probably my favorite.

The entire bastard line is fantastic. If you've never had any of the 'Bastards'; Might as well start with the original yeah?

Everything about this brew drips awesome.

The first thing i notice every time is the quality smell. It really sets up the flavor for the entire Arrogant Bastard Experience.

08-07-2011 01:08:15 | More by Kaie
CyclingLush666

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

The beer's appearance is a very nice and dark brown amber color. Almost to the point where you can't see through the glass, so you can assume its going to be a very strong taste.

The smell is very hoppy, which you would expect because Stone claims to have very an insane amount of hops in their beer. The smell isn't extremely strong though, and some of their other beers have a much stronger scent.

The taste is very nice, a sort of slap you in the face with hops type of deal. That's basically it though. Stone beers are usually not that extremely complex, so what you get here is simple but good. It's also a very bitter beer, so if that's not your thing I wouldn't try and get one of these down.

I'm not really impressed with the mouthfeel. It has the basic mouthfeel of most ales. Some of their other beers like the Sublimely Self Righteous Ale has a much better texture.

Overall I would say this is a very nice beer. But if hoppy as hell bitter beers are not your thing, I wouldn't waste your time. But if you like IPA beers I would grab one of these 22's the next time you get a chance. They are kind of expensive usually around 6 bucks for one of these, and some of their others are even more expensive but its well worth it.

10-23-2011 01:09:57 | More by CyclingLush666
BarrelSelect

Quebec (Canada)

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours copper-brown, redish. Nice foam becomes thin and persistant. Aromas of toasted caramel, nut, grass and floral hops. Taste medium sweetness, medium-heady bitterness, caramel, nut, alcool at the end. Medium bodied, bitter finish last long. Really good beer.

03-02-2012 21:52:36 | More by BarrelSelect
Jonmoore89

4.9/5  rDev +17.2%

Poured a dark amber, with a tan/cream colored one finger head that stuck until the very end. The aroma was the only thing that I found disappointing. I picked up some sweet/herbal hops and a slight bit of malt, but nothing too special. The first taste... aggressive hops, citrusy, piney, floral, herbal, and mildly malty. The complex taste definitely made up for the lack of aroma. Its medium body and carbonation was perfectly in tune with the taste. Still a sipping beer though. I was interested in trying Arrogant Bastard for a long time and I must say that it lived up the the hype. The story on the back of the bottle is a nice touch as well.
Awesome Beer!

04-05-2012 23:34:23 | More by Jonmoore89
illegal-seed

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

This was my very first ale. First few sips kind of had me thinking what the hell is that...The bitterness almost overwhelmed me. Keep in mind I drank only lagers before trying this. But after a few sips of it it just grew on me. Ever since I have been buying more ales than lagers. I have this beer to thank for that. It got me into a whole new world. It indeed, turned me into a hop head.

Never had an "American strong ale" to compare it with but its a pretty regular beer for me. I enjoy it a lot. Good beer for a hop head.

05-10-2012 17:38:09 | More by illegal-seed
ChapaTX

4.64/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Excellent beer! You have to have a taste for a stronger tasting beer to enjoy this one. Poured a darker brown color. Taste is hoppy, barley like. Not bad at all and will get again. I personally like a hoppy taste. I would say that it is just under the taste of an IPA. It also had about an index finger width worth of head on it that was tannish in color.

01-14-2013 12:53:00 | More by ChapaTX
Misajet90

Montana

4.86/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is a good solid beer to go along with a strong flavored meal. I usually will have one with a steak or burgers but to be honest it's a good beer to have just about anytime.

If you can find it on tap it's worth it every time. I've only seen it at the Brewery and at Barney's Beanery but I'm sure there are more. Out of the bottle this is a great beer also.

Overall I highly recomend this beer to everyone, if you like dark beer or not it's worth trying it out.

01-15-2013 19:35:31 | More by Misajet90
Robert_Ray

Arizona

3.66/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I like to be adventurous and I knew what I was getting into when I bought it, but I was hoping for a little less of the hop after taste back-end and more of the sweet malt front-end.

It taste very similar to several of the popular IPA's and I am just not an IPA fan. I don't blame this Bastard.

For a guy that absolutely loves Belgian Ales, I should have known better. I think that I will try and recap it and give it to one of my adult kids (who loves IPA) . I will then open a Belgian style Tripel and enjoy.

06-08-2013 00:13:48 | More by Robert_Ray
arescan

Indiana

3.99/5  rDev -4.5%

A - Absolutely gorgeous ruby color with a medium sized head. A treat to look at.

S - Incredibly aromatic. The beer has a very sweet, inviting scent that draws you in.

T - The beer tastes great. There's a slight taste of raisins with the hoppiness. The hoppiness lingers and becomes very strong in the after taste. Almost overpowering.

M - Very smooth and good flowing

O - My only knock here is the after taste. It's very, very strong and ruins and otherwise near perfect beer. Though, with that, it's still very good.

Serving type: growler

10-12-2013 01:17:11 | More by arescan
freakdiablo

Vermont

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - Beautiful amber coloring, off-white head that sticks. How I expect an ale should look.

S - Milder. almost sweet smell with a little bite

T - Surprising when paired with the mild smell. Strong, bitter kick up front, hoppy aftertaste. Smooths out nicely towards the end of the bottle as it began to warm.

M - Slightly thicker, with a fair amount of carbonation

O - This beer has both surprised and spoiled me. Less hoppy than an IPA, which I like as I tend to find IPAs too hoppy, but still a strong flavor. I've only had a few bottles, but it's already one of my favorites. If I'm sampling several different beers, I try to stick AB towards the end, as many beers seem mild compared to ABs...arrogance, for lack of a better term. I'll admit, I may be new to the whole beer review thing, but even I can tell where Stone was going with this.

11-04-2013 02:31:03 | More by freakdiablo
MikefromDormont

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

Arrogant Bastard was my introduction to Stone Brewing. We had never heard of Stone Brewing until a few years ago. At that time my friends and I spotted a bottle of this beer sitting on the shelf in Washington DC's Chevy Chase Wine and Liquors. The silkscreen gargoyle and the "You're Not Worthy" statement caught our attention and made this beer a must buy, just for its packaging. After tasting several bottles of this beer, I am sure happy that we decided to try this beer. It's my opinion that this beer is not for every beer drinker.

The beer poured dark brown with hints of ruby showing. There was a tan head and bits of yeast "floaties" suspended in my glass. I was expecting an onrush of hop flavors, but was surprised that I initially greeted with a sweet malt flavor. However, the hops soon dominated the beer's flavor and the finish was bitter. This beer was full bodied and had a smooth, oily mouth feel. I would not recommend drinking Arrogant Bastard on a hot sunny summer day, but for a chilly autumn afternoon, it is a great beer.

11-09-2007 21:49:53 | More by MikefromDormont
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.