Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,915 | Hads: 9,990
3.47/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Looks dark red... redness really comes out when holding up to a light. Its very clear. Nice tan head that retains itself.

Very mild on the nose... hoppy with some other characteristics that are difficult to break down... bitter and caramel

On the tongue it is hoppy with some floral notes... carmel... bitter... long finish

Feels good in the mouth... hops noticeable... perfect amount of carbonation... feels alive

Overall... another solid product form Stone... not my favorite... but happy drinking it

Fantastic beer.

A: Dark Deep Amber color
S: Strong, hoppy aroma
T: Hoppy/Malty Bitter and Sweet with a bready finish.
M: Medium body with mild carbonation
O: Great beer, especially those who haven't had a stone beer

4.16/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Opened a bomber straight from the fridge and it fizzed over. Poured a great looking, dark, reddish body with a huge, tan head. Head was thick and creamy. This is a really good looking beer. Smell didn't hit too strong... light maple, and something roasted. Taste was not what I expected. It's like a stout, thrown into a Boston Lager, and chased with a hop bomb.

The carbonation kept a nice, thin head until the end of the glass, but it wasn't prickly on the tongue. Tasted smooth and thick. I swear i caught a chocolate covered cherry at the beginning of the sip, then caramel roasted malt, and on to a heavy, bitter hop taste. Aftertaste was a little too tart on the tongue, but besides that you wouldn't guess at the abv.

Stayed away from stone for a Long time. The bottles turned me off and looked a little too gimmicky... something I would have seen way back in my fraternity days just sitting on someone's shelf for decoration. Bombers were on sale so I gave it a try. Glad I did. I'll definitely be back to pick up a few more.

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours dark amber large head with good lacing. Much more visually appealing than most beers. It's not overly aromatic but I'm detecting malts earthy hops and maybe hints of light Carmel and black licorice. Taste is more earthy hop forward with malt backbone and lingering hop finish. You still taste the hints of Carmel and licorice but it's very drowned out by the hops and also the alcohol that is very pronounced in the flavor. A very good beer overall and will definitely purchase again.

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

Served on draught, I was presented with a very dark red mahogany brew with a thin creamy head that clings to the glass all the way to the bottom. The nose did not impress me as much as the toasted malty flavor. The balance of malts to hops was nicely done with just enough bittering bite on the tongue to keep it interesting. The alcohol taste didn't hint to the 7.1%. If you want this as a session beer it will be a short night.

4.77/5  rDev +14.4%

Had this on numerous occasions, and let me say that this beer truly lives up to its name. It's an in-your-face type of beer all-around, from start to finish.

Appearance is reddish oak with an ivory head.

Smell is very aggressive and enticing; it's pretty much taunting at you to try it and not be a wuss.

The taste reminds one of a pure IPA; it gives the tastebuds a good kick in the ass with its strong citrusy and hoppy notes.

Mouthfeel is the same way, although it goes down smoothly.

Strong characteristics make this beer enjoyable, but not something you would want to drink over and over again.

Other than that, I'd highly recommend this beer being a fixture in anyone's fridge.

4.48/5  rDev +7.4%

I'm a huge fan of IPAs that disguise their alcohol content well. For this reason I love Southern Tier Unearthly and beers like Arrogant Bastard Ale.

A: A hazy, dark mahogany color poured smoothly from the bottle, resulting in a nice thick head (although not quite 2 fingers worth) with lots of lacing all the way to the end.

S: Kind of hard to identify a single element of this nose. Its got a sweet, cirtusy smell, but also has some alcohol to it. You really have to smell it for yourself, its a nice balance of sweet and toffee.

T: Dont let my little pre-amble make you think that you wouldnt recognize this as a double IPA off the bat, because you would. the hops hits pretty hard, but its also very sweet and balanced. The alcohol flavor is well hidden however.

M: Its got a little bit of that hops bite, a good a good amount of carbonation "sting" and a dry-ish aftertaste.

D: When considering this baby is a DIPA and high in alcohol content, its very drinkable. I just polished off a 22oz in short time, and I dont feel like dying or rinsing my mouth out with water. Its a great aftertaste for the DIPA lover, and I would recommend grabbing a bomber when you can.

4.17/5  rDev 0%

It has a nice slow pour, with a candy/ruby/brown coloring to the body. The off white head had some good lacing but nothing to write home about. OK smell, I never have liked grapefruit it should not be consumed by any human. Health nuts eat it all the time, what's up with that?? I get the eating things that don't taste like anything, but eating grapefruit is just nuts. The only way I was able to eat a grapefruit was with a whole sh*% lode of sugar to drown out the grapefruit, till I couldn't taste it anymore (I will never consume it again). It is in my opinion that grapefruit is one step away from being a poison to mankind. With all this said...
WOW who knew?? The smell of the bitter grapefruit coming off this beer made me skeptical, but then I had to taste it. There has never been a place for the grapefruit taste till now. The taste of the grapefruit and spice was very pleasing. Good mouthfeel with the spice and once it goes down a good finish spicy kick hits your taste buds. I really enjoyed this tasting, what a wakeup call for the mouth.

4.48/5  rDev +7.4%

22 oz brown bomber poured in dogfish head snifter

Pours a nice brownish red. looks beautiful really with a finger of sticky white head that hangs around.

Smells....floral hops and malt with alcohol notes in the back ground.

Taste...love this beer...my favorite Stone offering, malt, hops and friggin hilarious F*** you bottle that says it all...i am not worthy

Very drinkable but this is a strong ale so beware!

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I'm told I'm not worthy, and you know what, it might be true.

Stone Brewery's Arrogant Bastard Ale is quite a beauty to behold. From the pour you get a nice, dark brew, a deep red glow, that generates a good two finger head atop your glass that sits around for a long while, and leaves behind a bit of lace.

The aroma of this beer, before the first sip, is a hop-centric, somewhat grassy, somewhat piney bitter aroma which surprised me considering this brew's dark, malt-rich appearance.

Upon the first sip, a sip savored quite a while, I got a huge array of flavors that bring in, seemingly, every ingredient in this beer in their own organized waves. Initially, you get the bitter, somewhat tart taste of resinous malts and heaping amounts of hopps. After that taste hits your palate, though, you start to taste some of the sweetness of the malt and fruits they brew with all those hops! From the malt selection in this brew you can taste, primarily, some caramel malts complimented--if not just for color--by a bit of dark roast malts followed closely by a light and citrusy sweetness, as well as maybe a bit of tropical fruit. In short the taste of this ale is a roller coaster ride to be enjoyed full nice and slow, sip after sip.

While in mouth the mouthfeel of this brew can almost be ignored due to the immense amount of flavor going on in this brew, but this beer has a very complimentary medium body.

A: Dark, red, and frothy, with a good head and some lace.
S: Piney, hoppy and green, with a little bit of sweetness on the tail end.
T: Whoa! The taste is the total selling point of this brew. From hopps to fruit to malt this brew has it all in an unmatched, organized array of flavor.
M: Mouthfeel can be ignored for the most part but this beer's medium body compliments every other aspect really well.
O: Arrogant Bastard Ale is marketed correctly, I'd say. It's a wild brew with some serious flavor and a lot of complexity, which is miraculously well organized--it doesn't taste like everything at once. It also does a good job of keeping a first timer on their toes looking like a dark brew, smelling like an IPA and tasting like a well balanced red ale (with some uncharacteristic qualities!). Arrogant Bastard Ale might have to be a repeat buy, you know, just so I can get more acquainted and perhaps even "worthy".

4.38/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What more needs to be said, 2675+ reviews and holding steady at A-. This is a big bold beer, the name and story on the bottle should be enough. If you can't handle it don't drink it and don't review it. If you're a Pilsner drinker this beer is not going to impress. If you're a big beer drinker who enjoys lingering hops and all the flavors that big beers should have then step right up. This beer is Stone's stellar offering and one that I will also choose unless I need to drive somewhere!

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Looks good. Dark red, maroon colour. A little cloud. Head is just off-white. Nice lacing.

S - Very hoppy, just like an IPA. Floral and a little piney.

T - A really nice, big taste. A big caramel and bread malt taste up front. Quickly balances out perfectly with an equally big, piney hop flavour. Has a little spiciness to it. Aftertaste is boozey, bitter and citrusy. Overall a really great taste.

M - Also great. Pretty highly carbonated.

O - An exciting and very drinkable beer, with a lot of character. Very fun to drink. Will definitely have again.

4.61/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: dark amber with a thick frothy head

Smell: woody with a malting as that is sweet and lingers

Taste: oak and a subtle smoke followed by sweetness and finally a malty bitterness tht lingers lastly

Mouthfeel: feels much lighter than it looks. Leaves a slight stickiness on my lips

Overall: very good ale. I will be adding this to my regular purchases. A good change of pace from the normal high hoppiness I've been smashing regularly.

3.81/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Put this beer up to the light and be amazed at how blood-red it appears. . . Has a lush dark look away from the light. The biggest knock against it is the beer lacks any real aroma. For what it lacks in smell though, it does a bang up job with the flavor profile. So crisp and malty up front that you don't really even notice the bitter bite till a few seconds later on the back of your pallet. For its price and how main stream it is, a very nice go-to. . .

4.72/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great combo of malt and hops and the yeast tops it off and brings it together with a subtle sweetness and velvety feel. You really have to look hard to find anything wrong with this one.

4.54/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love this beer!

But it's what got me started on craft, so I'm as biased as possible...

Pours a beautiful deep redish brown with a very light tan head. Smell is much more subtle than the name would imply but it gives you just enough hint at what's to come. Taste is where this beer makes its kill move, so smooth yet all the qualities that you want from a complex brew. As an IPA guy I love ther bitter bite at the end. Overall, this is my favorite beer, it's the beer I would constantly have fresh on tap in my house if possible.

3.97/5  rDev -4.8%

This is a powerful brew and a joy to drink. For me, it a beer to enjoy occasionally but one I look forward to savoring. The magnum hops are a delight for the hop lovers. The aroma was rich and pungent. The malty background is smooth. The head was minimal. The color was warm brown and inviting.

4.68/5  rDev +12.2%

I am not worthy.

A: Lovely pour. Reddish brown in color. Nice head that dissipates quickly into a nice lace.

S: Hoppy with malty undertones. Better than crappy yellow rice beer.

T: Wonderful. Malty and hoppy. Yet very mellow A very bitter aftertaste lingers.

D: I could drink this beer all day and all night long, until I dropped to the ground because I'm not worthy.

4.26/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a cloudy brown-red with a great head that leaves sticky lacing all the way down. Magnificent looking brew.

S - Smell is actually the weakest aspect of ABA. Nothing really jumps out at me when give it the old waft n' sniff. Maybe some nutty malts.

T - Citrus hops at first followed by a rush of delicious nutty malt. A bitter but welcomed hop finish, as well as a nice warming trait. Good winter brew.

M - Smooth, slightly creamy and with the perfect amount of carbonation. Very satisfying.

D - A very heavy ale that packs a good punch. I'm now left with about 9 oz left of a 22 oz bottle and I feel pretty happy. Good thing this is expensive, otherwise you'd be in a world of hurt the next morning.

4.53/5  rDev +8.6%

Wow, this one lives up to its hype. Served from a bomber.

Pours a beautiful brown copper color with average 2 finger head.

Never have I had a more well rounded ale. From the moment it hits your mouth there are several flavors that come across, malted caramel, cherries? and very slight citrus of some sort.

Where this ale really earns its stripes is the finish, with so many complex flavors, they have hopped it perfectly to allow them all to be rounded out without an overpowering hop finish.

There is NO WAY this is a 7.2% beer, drinks like an absolute dream, smoothest ale I have had to date.

I bought a case after my 1st one.

Anyone have any double bastard they want to trade?

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

A - Dark brown. Little carbonation.

S - Mostly malt. Not much of a hop smell.

T - Some vanilla, a little banana, alot of malt, and not as much hop flavor as I remember it having from when I last had arrogant bastard. That was bottled though. I think there might be a difference.

M - Not as heavy as a stout, but moreso than almost anything else.

D - Pretty drinkable. I think I could have had another if I weren't concerned about getting drunk.

4.95/5  rDev +18.7%

This (obviously) is one of my favorite beers to drink on a regular basis.
A- Dark amber color with a good white head that laces around the glass. I love the way this beer looks.
S- Aggresive hop odor, very aggresive hop odor. Everytime I drink this beer, and I drink it often, I forget how hoppy it is and it always brings a smile to my face.
T- WOW!! So stong and hoppy. I get a piny after taste with a bite in the back of my mouth. Yum!
M- Once its in your mouth you know its a stong ale and you can definatly tell the ABV. Makes your tounge happy before destroying your tastebuds.
D- Yes Yes YES!! Sorry I just really enjoy this beer. I recomend it to anyone who mentions they like a hoppy beer.

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Another from a Stone tasting:

Appearance was nice amber/mahogany color. Nice head with lacing throughout

Smell was bourbon, woody, with alcohol and hops.

Taste was very 'in your face', strong start to finish with layers of flavor and hops.

Strong, but drinkable. Definitely lived up to its name.

4.58/5  rDev +9.8%

This was my first beer ever from Stone Brewing. It was on tap at a local sports bar... and I loved it. Great taste, great appearance... it is what a good ale should be!

My next trip to BevMo and I saw some of their other beers, I knew I was in for a treat. A tasty treat! Bravo Stone Brewing!

4.38/5  rDev +5%

Appeared dark brown almost black. Pours a brilliant thick head that kept it's pillowy top all the way down to the last gulp. Perfect rings form to count each sip, with cobweb laces sliding down the glass.

Smell reminds me of a drive down the country road, past the wheat fields, through the corn rows, and accross the dairy, of all places. Very earthy.

Taste begins very organic, then turns to honey glazed sweet rolls, only to be puckered up with a barrage of hops that stay in the back of the throat for a loooong time.

Mouthfeel is immense, creamy, and delighfully full. This beer is enormous.

Overall this beer was enoyable to sip while driving down slice after slice of my favorite pizza. After my pizza was gone, I had a difficult time finishing the beer. The beer completely warps your sense of what beer can be. Perhaps the label is correct, I'm not worthy.

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.