Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 9,811 | Reviews: 2,967
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours reddish amber with a very slight orange tint and a off white head that forms a ring after a few minutes and leaves nice lacing on the glass. Aroma is sweet with a floral hoppiness and some earthy, pine scent as well. Taste is splendid has a sweet hoppy bitterness with a distinct pine flavor along with some fruity sweetness. Body is medium. Has a nice alcohol burn at the end.

4.17/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

After trying Stone's IPA and loving it, I decided to pick up a pint, 6oz bottle of Stone Arrogant Bastard ale at a grocery store in VA. I was not disappointed.

Appearance: Pours a dark caramel color with a thin head. This was maybe the least appealing aspect of this beer.

Smell: Hoppier than anticipated. Rich, complex and enticing scent.

Taste: Lives up to the scent and then some. Smooth at first, with a grapefruit-like kick towards the finish. there's a pleasant mixture of hops, malt and alcohol that lingers in the mouth after you swallow.

Mouthfeel: Slightly flat, as anticipated due to the thin head that this beer poured.

Overall: fantastic beer out of California. Would recommend and will buy again.

4.49/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Similar to an amber color with a slightly colored caramel head.
S- I get some hops and a little malt at the same time with every whiff.
T- Slight hop taste that sticks around on the pallet after swallowing.
M- Pretty smooth with unexpected hints of hops very good.
O- Overall very enjoyable beer. Would recommend to any pale ale/IPA lover.
I havent had a beer from Stone brewery that I didnt like

3.25/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Like described "you probably won't like it"

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It's called Arrogant Bastard, nuff said

4.12/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle into an tumbler. I took this beer out of the fridge and waited a bit beforehand for it to warm up a hair. Would have preferred a stein, but I only have one stein large enough to fit and it was dirty at the time, so went with the tumbler.

A - Medium pour produced a golden to orange then finally to moderately brown hue. Two to two and a half finger tan head was produced, which proved to be relatively persistent through my entire experience with this beer. An abundance of quality lacing as well.

S - There's just something about its earthy smell that I LOVE... hard to put my finger on it. A hint of sour and citrus hops and a bit of caramel and malt as well.

T - It's like a battle going down in my mouth.... hoppy like whoa, and citrus and pine, and strong caramel malts as well. A little less dry than I expected for the somewhat high abv. Finish is hardly dry, more bitter.

M - Very heavy but smooth in the mouth, with a bit of hops oil that remains.

D - Well.... what can I say? I want to drink about a million of these.... however, I could only have, say, a few 22oz bottles of this strong brew before I stopped making any sense... it's filling, be warned.... but for a guy with a high metabolism like me, not much of a problem.

All in all, a curious brew that falls between classification... thus, an "American Strong Ale". I would recommend at least giving it a whorl to everyone.

4.7/5  rDev +13%

Appearance- Deep reddish/brownish color with a two and a half finger tannish head.

Smell- Unbelievable. This is one of those beers that smells just as good as it tastes. Citrusy smell. Very fruity and malty. I seriously spent a while just smelling it before I tasted it.

Taste- First thing that hits you it a bit of hoppy citrusy bitterness but then it is balanced out with a really nice carmely malt taste. After you swallow it it leaves a bit of a bitter taste in your mouth, but not bitter in a bad way. Kind of like after you eat something very citrusy.

Really excellent beer overall. I will buy it again and again and again.

Love it!

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

It poured a beautiful deep amber color with a tan head that left quite a bit of lacing. The aroma is a hoppy and floral with some lingering spices. Taste is malty up front with sweet spices, some tangerine maybe also. Then there is an abundance of hops that explode in your mouth, and it finishes clean. There is slight carbonation up front, with nice creamy mouthfeel. Drinkability is fairly good. I'm on the bandwagon, very nice brew.

4.39/5  rDev +5.5%

I have heard so much about this infamous beer, and even had the privilege of sampling some a while back. Reminded me of a stout and IPA hybrid... I thought it was tasty enough for me to go pick one up for myself to review.
Served a hair over 50 degrees F in Pint Glass, listening to Genghis Tron's "Dead Mountain Mouth". Let's just say that my mouth is not dead after this hell of a beer.
The pour produced a full 1cm light tan creamy head. It shrank to just a very very thin (almost non-existent) layer after just a few lengthy minutes, but it stayed until the bottom of my glass. The lacing was patchy but there was a good amount of it, and a bit of it stuck around for a very long time.
The smell is mellow, but pure hops that are slightly sharp (almost pine-y). It's also pretty "warm" too, in other words, either roasted or Dark fruit scents were accompanying all those hops. There may also be some flowery characteristics of a typical ale that were trying to be known in my nose.
The taste, also, is translated simply as "hops". Now it is at the tongue , yes, they definitely are roasted. Not too much though, like, say, a stout. There may also be some semi-sweet caramel nuances in here, but if so, it just blends with the roasted/smoked flavors. It is a little alcoholic, but that is typical of a strong ale (duh), and the flavor is very consistent from sip to finish. What wins me over though, is the epic aftertaste. It doesn't matter if I already put my glass down and started writing some more notes, I am still drinking this thing. One sip, and you are tasting those hops for a good 10 minutes.
In the mouth, that flavor is made amazing by the fact that this a full-bodied beer. And hey, it's also very smooth, and a just little bit sticky. Great carbonation levels as well. Love it!
I like how personal the huge ass bottle is as far as drinkability goes, but I can see how it could be intimidating to some. Thankfully, they sell this in smaller 6 packs now.
Not much else I can say about this beer... just a very straight-forward design executed with great brilliance and attention to detail.
I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a very hoppy ale to knock them on their ass.

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

This beer is exactly what it advertises. It packs a punch! Not at all ordinary, it pours a light cloudy brown. The smell is complex, with hops and malt present. Once you take a sip and it hits your belly, you have to drink the rest. It has a strong hop taste but finishes refreshing and has a luring aftertaste. Unless you appreciate finer tastes, "You're not worthy"TM

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

I only got this beer because of the name. I definitely recommend trying it just for the experience

A: It was good, lots of color, nice head.

S: Full of interesting smells. The smells almost outweigh the presence of the beer and give a false impression, but still good.

T: Very hoppy, much more than expected. AB has a very distinctive after taste.

M: I am not a fan of the in your face feel. I would say that it gave me the impression of drinking an IPA or NB.

D: I can only drink maybe 20oz then I am done. It is a good beer to have a bottle of, but a 6-pack is too much for me.

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a bomber in to a pint glass. Pours a dark cloudy amber color with an off white thick head. The head seems to stick around as I drink, remaining about a pinky fingertip's width high down the glass.

I pick up some citrus and sweetness and pine in the smell.

There's some bitterness to the taste, and I can taste the high-ish ABV. A bit of a smokeyness in there. Maybe even a bit of bit chocolate at the end?

Feels bubbly in my mouth. Rather creamy.

Very drinkable. Goes down easily. Happy to sip on this one and will be happy to buy it again.

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Given the 2k plus reviews - there is not much more one can say about this beer. It's drinkable, flavorful, and an absolute ground breaker. Craft beer owes a lot to this brew. And for us ad guy types hardly any one does that side of the equation better. All beer lovers should doff their caps.

3.47/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Looks dark red... redness really comes out when holding up to a light. Its very clear. Nice tan head that retains itself.

Very mild on the nose... hoppy with some other characteristics that are difficult to break down... bitter and caramel

On the tongue it is hoppy with some floral notes... carmel... bitter... long finish

Feels good in the mouth... hops noticeable... perfect amount of carbonation... feels alive

Overall... another solid product form Stone... not my favorite... but happy drinking it

Fantastic beer.

A: Dark Deep Amber color
S: Strong, hoppy aroma
T: Hoppy/Malty Bitter and Sweet with a bready finish.
M: Medium body with mild carbonation
O: Great beer, especially those who haven't had a stone beer

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

Served on draught, I was presented with a very dark red mahogany brew with a thin creamy head that clings to the glass all the way to the bottom. The nose did not impress me as much as the toasted malty flavor. The balance of malts to hops was nicely done with just enough bittering bite on the tongue to keep it interesting. The alcohol taste didn't hint to the 7.1%. If you want this as a session beer it will be a short night.

4.77/5  rDev +14.7%

Had this on numerous occasions, and let me say that this beer truly lives up to its name. It's an in-your-face type of beer all-around, from start to finish.

Appearance is reddish oak with an ivory head.

Smell is very aggressive and enticing; it's pretty much taunting at you to try it and not be a wuss.

The taste reminds one of a pure IPA; it gives the tastebuds a good kick in the ass with its strong citrusy and hoppy notes.

Mouthfeel is the same way, although it goes down smoothly.

Strong characteristics make this beer enjoyable, but not something you would want to drink over and over again.

Other than that, I'd highly recommend this beer being a fixture in anyone's fridge.

4.48/5  rDev +7.7%

I'm a huge fan of IPAs that disguise their alcohol content well. For this reason I love Southern Tier Unearthly and beers like Arrogant Bastard Ale.

A: A hazy, dark mahogany color poured smoothly from the bottle, resulting in a nice thick head (although not quite 2 fingers worth) with lots of lacing all the way to the end.

S: Kind of hard to identify a single element of this nose. Its got a sweet, cirtusy smell, but also has some alcohol to it. You really have to smell it for yourself, its a nice balance of sweet and toffee.

T: Dont let my little pre-amble make you think that you wouldnt recognize this as a double IPA off the bat, because you would. the hops hits pretty hard, but its also very sweet and balanced. The alcohol flavor is well hidden however.

M: Its got a little bit of that hops bite, a good a good amount of carbonation "sting" and a dry-ish aftertaste.

D: When considering this baby is a DIPA and high in alcohol content, its very drinkable. I just polished off a 22oz in short time, and I dont feel like dying or rinsing my mouth out with water. Its a great aftertaste for the DIPA lover, and I would recommend grabbing a bomber when you can.

4.17/5  rDev +0.2%

It has a nice slow pour, with a candy/ruby/brown coloring to the body. The off white head had some good lacing but nothing to write home about. OK smell, I never have liked grapefruit it should not be consumed by any human. Health nuts eat it all the time, what's up with that?? I get the eating things that don't taste like anything, but eating grapefruit is just nuts. The only way I was able to eat a grapefruit was with a whole sh*% lode of sugar to drown out the grapefruit, till I couldn't taste it anymore (I will never consume it again). It is in my opinion that grapefruit is one step away from being a poison to mankind. With all this said...
WOW who knew?? The smell of the bitter grapefruit coming off this beer made me skeptical, but then I had to taste it. There has never been a place for the grapefruit taste till now. The taste of the grapefruit and spice was very pleasing. Good mouthfeel with the spice and once it goes down a good finish spicy kick hits your taste buds. I really enjoyed this tasting, what a wakeup call for the mouth.

4.48/5  rDev +7.7%

22 oz brown bomber poured in dogfish head snifter

Pours a nice brownish red. looks beautiful really with a finger of sticky white head that hangs around.

Smells....floral hops and malt with alcohol notes in the back ground.

Taste...love this beer...my favorite Stone offering, malt, hops and friggin hilarious F*** you bottle that says it all...i am not worthy

Very drinkable but this is a strong ale so beware!

4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I'm told I'm not worthy, and you know what, it might be true.

Stone Brewery's Arrogant Bastard Ale is quite a beauty to behold. From the pour you get a nice, dark brew, a deep red glow, that generates a good two finger head atop your glass that sits around for a long while, and leaves behind a bit of lace.

The aroma of this beer, before the first sip, is a hop-centric, somewhat grassy, somewhat piney bitter aroma which surprised me considering this brew's dark, malt-rich appearance.

Upon the first sip, a sip savored quite a while, I got a huge array of flavors that bring in, seemingly, every ingredient in this beer in their own organized waves. Initially, you get the bitter, somewhat tart taste of resinous malts and heaping amounts of hopps. After that taste hits your palate, though, you start to taste some of the sweetness of the malt and fruits they brew with all those hops! From the malt selection in this brew you can taste, primarily, some caramel malts complimented--if not just for color--by a bit of dark roast malts followed closely by a light and citrusy sweetness, as well as maybe a bit of tropical fruit. In short the taste of this ale is a roller coaster ride to be enjoyed full nice and slow, sip after sip.

While in mouth the mouthfeel of this brew can almost be ignored due to the immense amount of flavor going on in this brew, but this beer has a very complimentary medium body.

A: Dark, red, and frothy, with a good head and some lace.
S: Piney, hoppy and green, with a little bit of sweetness on the tail end.
T: Whoa! The taste is the total selling point of this brew. From hopps to fruit to malt this brew has it all in an unmatched, organized array of flavor.
M: Mouthfeel can be ignored for the most part but this beer's medium body compliments every other aspect really well.
O: Arrogant Bastard Ale is marketed correctly, I'd say. It's a wild brew with some serious flavor and a lot of complexity, which is miraculously well organized--it doesn't taste like everything at once. It also does a good job of keeping a first timer on their toes looking like a dark brew, smelling like an IPA and tasting like a well balanced red ale (with some uncharacteristic qualities!). Arrogant Bastard Ale might have to be a repeat buy, you know, just so I can get more acquainted and perhaps even "worthy".

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What more needs to be said, 2675+ reviews and holding steady at A-. This is a big bold beer, the name and story on the bottle should be enough. If you can't handle it don't drink it and don't review it. If you're a Pilsner drinker this beer is not going to impress. If you're a big beer drinker who enjoys lingering hops and all the flavors that big beers should have then step right up. This beer is Stone's stellar offering and one that I will also choose unless I need to drive somewhere!

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Looks good. Dark red, maroon colour. A little cloud. Head is just off-white. Nice lacing.

S - Very hoppy, just like an IPA. Floral and a little piney.

T - A really nice, big taste. A big caramel and bread malt taste up front. Quickly balances out perfectly with an equally big, piney hop flavour. Has a little spiciness to it. Aftertaste is boozey, bitter and citrusy. Overall a really great taste.

M - Also great. Pretty highly carbonated.

O - An exciting and very drinkable beer, with a lot of character. Very fun to drink. Will definitely have again.

4.61/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: dark amber with a thick frothy head

Smell: woody with a malting as that is sweet and lingers

Taste: oak and a subtle smoke followed by sweetness and finally a malty bitterness tht lingers lastly

Mouthfeel: feels much lighter than it looks. Leaves a slight stickiness on my lips

Overall: very good ale. I will be adding this to my regular purchases. A good change of pace from the normal high hoppiness I've been smashing regularly.

3.81/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Put this beer up to the light and be amazed at how blood-red it appears. . . Has a lush dark look away from the light. The biggest knock against it is the beer lacks any real aroma. For what it lacks in smell though, it does a bang up job with the flavor profile. So crisp and malty up front that you don't really even notice the bitter bite till a few seconds later on the back of your pallet. For its price and how main stream it is, a very nice go-to. . .

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.