Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,891 | Hads: 9,868
4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

Jeez Louise is this beer bangin! It begins with a big up=front hoppiness with a wonderful simultaneious underlying chocolateliness. Then it is all big IBUs from there. This is an amazingly constructed beer. This is much more than just a big hop beer; it has a lot going on underneath. (284 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

Reviewing it at a 4, I still urge you not to be fooled by my numbers. I review harshly. While back in the day I loved stone IPA, but saw arrogant bastard a bit over the top and not quite as balanced, after picking it back up I must say I was wrong. If your pallette has been broken in to good IPA's, you will find the bitterness of this beer very refreshing and not overbearing. For you people who are thrown off by the bitterness, I asure you, there are other flavors here. A dash of caramel, a bit of fruitiness near the end, and the hint of spice interlaced with the hops that you come to expect from a good stone brew. Cheers! (630 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +5.5%

The ale arrived sporting a lovely dark amber color with a perfect off-white head. The aroma was good, with some hoppiness being the strong effect on the nose.This has a fantastic malt and hop balance that has your tastebuds wanting more. The sweetness and bitterness lasted together on the tongue well after the swallow. A nice lace formed on the glass as the ale was being emptied from the glass. Very drinkable and overall a great product. (441 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

Appearance: Deep copper/red hue. Thin, beady head

Aroma: Hop oil is dominant, giving an almost pine resin aroma. Very little hint of malt in the nose.

Taste: Massive hop bitterness, with some malt giving a balance to the almost overpowering hoppy finish.

Mouthfeel: Alcohol richness on the palate, but "balanced" with the hops and malt.

Drinkability: Overall, one of my new favorite beers. Not sure of my worthiness, but this is a beer that makes the trip to my house whenever it can. Stone = good beer. (515 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

everything the bottle is, but a little less intense. still has the sweet malt paired against the harsh hop character, it just seems a tad more tame. that may be good or bad, depends on the dirnker, but since this IS "arrogant bastard" it takes it down a notch. (260 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%

Appearance: Deep ruby chestnut with perfect carbonation. Nice soft head that stuck until the end, leaving substantial lacing.

Smell: Wonderful floral hops well balanced by an earthy, yet sweet, malt background. Nice citrusy hop nose, with an almost candy (caramelized sugar) tone. Smells like a homebrew boiling.

Taste: Sharp, juicy hops at first, followed by dark, rich roasty malts. Finishes dry with a lingering hop bitterness. Alcohol is evident in the finish, nicely tying things up. But the hops, the beautiful hops, they linger . . . .

Notes: I first tried this about three years ago, and I definitely was *not* worthy. After trying it again, I'm already aching to prove my worth with another bomber. (718 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -2.2%

This brewery has a unique marketing approach, definitely read the bottle as you drink this one. This beer for all of the hype is quite balanced between the hops and the malt. Definitely hop flavor, aroma and bitterness crawling all over the place in this one, but a nice strong maltiness & sweetness that carries the hop brigade quite well. This is a great beer that is a nice amber color. (389 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

My very first Arrogan Bastard Ale. I was a little intimidated going into this beer knowing how robust it is. I found it to be great. It looked awesome smelled awesome and tasted awesome. There is nothing more that I can say about the ABA that anyone else has said. So Drink up and save a bomber for me. (302 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +9.6%

I just opened this beer and sat down to read the forum. I've had it before and bought more because it tastes good. Well I have to stop and review it now. It's an IPA but it's more. I went through a hophead phase and am now into the malt. the IPA scene doesn't speak to me. But this Arrogant Bastard does. This beer is hoppy! It's also sweet and bitter and thick. It smells bittersweet. OK it's the bittersweet taste that makes this beer so beguiling.

It's well-made. It has a beautiful head that, if poured roughly, becomes somewhat rocky. The small bubbled head creates irregular lace down the glass. I am using a chalice. The dark copper color is very clear.The smell is hoppy but then the bittersweet comes into play. Is this one playing with unfermentables as a primary influence? I'm no homebrewer but it makes me want to know why this beer works this way.
There is body here. I suppose I should call it mouthfeel but it is so substantial.
It is attractive. I bought it again because it continued to remind me of how complex a beer can be. (1,049 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Probably one of the best of its ilk. Delicious all the way around from the hops on top to the sweet malt and the heady alcohol. Sort of a HopDevil on steroids. An awesome beer and thanks again to Shoreline beverage for their selection. Gots to get me some mo! (259 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -13.4%

I may not be worthy, but I've got this thing about sweet, high-test beers.

This was definitely a beer I wanted to enjoy more than I did. It has everything I like, big body and big hops. Unfortunately it also has a fair bit of residual sweetness, which I don't much like outside a Scotch or Old Ale.

Dry it out a bit and it'd be magnificent. (346 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer certainly belongs in the ranks with SN's Celebration and Rogue's Santa's Special Reserve. It is a large beer, bigger than either of these two I think. Huge hops that sit solidly on a massive malt edifice make for a very enjoyable beverage all around. However more than a couple of these from the 22oz bottles make appreciating them fairly difficult.

Very cool bottle as well. (388 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a clear ruby-brown with a thick light brown head. Thick sheets of lacing down the side of the glass. Aroma consists of citrusy hops, malt, some dark fruit, dark rum and has a sweetness to it. Medium-bodied mouthfeel. A firm bitterness is present throughout. Nice caramel malt background. Hop bitterness and malt flavor seem to balance each other out rather well. Warming alcohol effect is noticed as the ale goes down. Excellently crafted. I only wish this was available in Wisconsin on a regular basis and that I didn't have to travel 2 hours to track down a bottle. (573 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

Presentation: 22oz. brown bomber; no "bottled on" or "best before" warning; btw, the $2.99 I paid for this tells me I'm worthy.

Appearance: Pours a clear, amber-tinged, honey brown with a fat, two-fingered, mocha-colored head; fine, sheet style lacing; very good head retention.

Aroma: Largely of thick, toasted malts complimented by citrusy, piney hops.

Taste: Fierce, toasted, caramel malts upfront and throughout; heavy, aggressive hop bitterness in the finish; sweet; notes of toffee, grapefruit and pine; faint overtones of cherry-like fruits. Medium thick body; smooth-to-chewy mouthfeel.

Notes: Absolutely delicious. Great beer worthy of me. (660 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +4.5%

This is my first tasting of this beer, or any Stone brew for that matter, and I thought it would be a fitting first review.

Appearance: Thick and deep amber. Somewhat small head, though it has beautiful lace and quite remarkable retention.

Smell: Hops, hops and more hops. fantastic smell, with many beautiful estery notes and a trace hint of the alcohol that lies within.

Taste: Medium bodied, with a very nice mouthfeel. The malty sweetness is quite inviting, and then overthrown by the aggressive hops. Slightly dry finish leaving hints of grains and malt sweetness, and of course the unforgettable hoppiness on the back of your tongue.

Overall: Fantastically complex brew, and quite fantastic overall. I can't imagine drinking a ton of this beer, it's certainly not a session brew. However, at the same time I don't think I could ever see myself leaving a drop in the bottom of the glass. In all an extremely hoppy brew, and yet very well balanced. (966 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16%

Whoa Hot Damn this beer is good and weird in a good way(can something be weird in a good way?) Anyways...Pours out dark amber reddish highlights, thin off white head that ends up turning into a sticky lace that hangs around until you done with this brew....Aroma was spicy and hoppy and some kind of fruit that I can't tell what it is. Taste is wow some fruit, definetly has hops, chocolate or carmel malts, a smokey taste as well and a hint of alcohol. The mouth feel was smooth with a slight carbonation, medium bodied but very good. I could drink a sixer of this stuff but after 3 I'll probably be shit faced to the max, very good stuff.

Everytime I see an Arrogant Bastard brew these words come out of my mouth " Get in my belly" with a Fat Bastard scottish accent.. (773 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -6.5%

From the 22 oz. bottle pours a dark brown (slightly red when held up to light) beer with a somewhat foamy off-white thickish head. A good looking beer. The aroma is rather mild, it has some spiciness to it, but is fairly unimpressive. Nice complex taste--some spiciness, but also tastes of sweet malt, bitter hops, and fruit. Becomes more flavorful as it warms and the complexity really comes out. A very good tasting beer. Fairly smooth and drinkable--overall a pretty good beer (especially in terms of taste) although it does not seem to live up to its own hype on the label, which I guess makes sense for an Arrogant Bastard. (628 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -3.3%

After a nice 5 mile run through Central Park, I decided to head over to the Gingerman for a few new beers. Unfortunately, no buddies were around so it was a solo trip. After reviewing the menu extensively, the Stone products caught my eye as I have a hard time finding them in CT.

After all the hype, I settled on the Arrogant Bastard for my introduction and man - it was like a surprise party! I didn't have a pen and paper so this is from memory... which may have been altered after 20 oz. of this beast.

Bastard has a beautiful deep amber color dominated by red highlights. The appearance is smooth and the modest, lightly colored head fades quickly.

After 3 attempts to seize the aroma of this brew, I came up with a blank each time. I simply didn't smell anything. Hell, maybe I was a bit stuffed up that day, but usually the sniffer is pretty good. Either way, I prefer to drink a beer through my mouth.

Wow ... Hops! Tasty, fresh, lovely, hops! At first, it takes control of your mouth and leaves little room for other flavors. Be patient, the caramel malt flavor creeps out to balance the hop explosion. Overall, the flavor and mouthfeel are wonderful.

This beer is definitely not for the weak. It’s powerful and aggressive in taste and ABV. After 20 oz and a 5 mile, run – this brew went straight to my head.

A great brew that I look forward to enjoying again in the future. (1,404 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +13.2%

Appearance – Simply gorgeous. The deep, shiny brown flavor held some ruby coloring, and the brownish head built well (not overly so), and went down sensually.

Smell – The hops come out right away in this one. They are raw and aggressive, as if they are still in the ground. There’s a hint of something fruity as well, although I wasn’t able to make it out. It’s very sugary, like a carrot or maybe something man made (perhaps highly refined table sugar).

Taste – How did I not pick up the malt in the nose? I assumed that I was in for an unbalanced hop attack, yet the balance is amazing. This is unbelievable!

This one is a perfect mix of hops, malts, fruits, and sugars, and boy are they big. There’s a ton of fun in this bottle. The aromatic floral hops are evenly complimented by quality malts, sugars, and about a hundred different fruits. You could spend all day calling these ones out.

Mouthfeel – Little carbonation but a fine, smoothy foaminess on the cheeks. This one is very lively, yet not overpoweringly so.

Drinkability – I can’t stop drinking this beer.

Comments – I’m sure that it’ll label me the green newbie with his eyes caught in the headlights, but I’m falling all over myself drinking this beer. This will replace my cocaine/crack/tobacco/heroin/pot/obsessive-compulsive knuckle-cracking habits all at once. Why would I hit the pipe when I could tap the Bastard?

Seriously, this one is astounding. These guys have to be Stone crazy. The oak-aged Arrogant Bastard reviews certainly have my interest at this point. The, “Fluid malten beast,” (Classic Coke) just made a new fan. (1,634 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16%

What a beer. Not for the faint of heart, but the label should have scared timid beer drinkers aways anyway. This beer poured a dark amber and brown body with a chewy thick tan head. The nose is a blast of thick dripping malt, toasted, caramel, biting, smokey, with a nice citrus hop snap. The flavors are full bodied, roasted malt flavors with a nice balancing faint sweetness, which is then slammed by a slicing hop bitterness. A true joy to drink, I just wish the Arrogant One was available in Wisconsin.... (509 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

When someone asks, "What is American style beer?" I point them to this. It's big and it's hoppy. Pours a deep burgundy color with a slight haze. The head is thick and never goes away. One of the most complex beers I've ever had. Starts out sweet with the taste of caramel and maple syrup and finishes with the intense bitterness of chinook hops. (345 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -13.2%

Served on tap at Heroe's Bar & Grill, La Verne, CA

Really good-looking beer - deep, dark amber color with sticky tan head and nice lace.

Smell: pretty good blending of sweet caramel maltiness, hints of plums or raisins, and a citrusy, piney aroma.

Taste: Initial taste is a sweet...holy crap!...hops, hops, hops! Just like my pint glass and the bottles say, this is an aggressive beer. I had about two seconds to try and sort things out before the hops booby-trap exploded on my tongue. I was immediately seized by a strong citrusy - grapefruit, peel and all - blast of hops. There was a vague pine taste also and an alcohol astringency that showed up as I swallowed. Long on bitterness, short on sweet.

Feel was medium bodied, somewhat slick.

This beer is best as a sipping beer, IMO. Rather unbalanced taste will appeal to hops-lovers. The alcohol content is pretty well masked and could really sneak up on the unwary drinker. This is an intense beer that really grabs you by your tastebuds. Arrogant Bastard Ale fires a veritable artillery barrage of hops at the drinker. Not the first beer I'd aim at a person who only drinks macros. (1,153 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

Twenty two ounce brown silk screened bottle - no dates.

Pours thick, dark auburn in colour with a slight haze. Capped with a dense off white head, perfect two fingers in height. Amazing head retention.

Yes, as a matter a fact I do smell some hops!

Down the hatch. Notes of caramel, toffee, and a touch a plum. Astringent hop loaded finish, with pine flavors wraping it up tight. Enough malt sweetness is left to keep the hops from running completely wild. But it clear that the hops are definitely in control.

Medium - full bodied. Unique, and enjoyable. More of a sipping beer for yours truly, but one I will certainly seek out again. (647 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

This beer poured a thick yellowish tan head with a deep translucent amber red body.

The nose was interesting. A thick malty sweetness with touches of smoke, caramel, milk chocolate, hints of meat, and even some slight citrus smells.

The taste was full bodied with a huge sharp citrus peel hop punch. Almost astringent and metalic. But a very tight hop bitterness with touches of a spicy soft black pepper. Very bitter. Lots of dark roasted bitter malt flavors. Coffee, caramel, wood, earth.

It then ended with this very very very long bitterness that took it's time to finish.

Basically the label says it all, this is an aggressive beer. So very bitter and complex. If you're not paying attention all of the wonderful flavors in this beer will fly right past you. Deffinatly a beer to take your time with. (817 characters)

4.18/5  rDev 0%

Wow, my first bomber bottle and or Stone. First of all, great bottle, both the info and humor, not to mention the attitude. The brew poured a ruby red with a nice one inch tan head. Lace was very nice. The aroma was of light hop, grass and malt background. Taste is a surprise hop overtone bonanza. Very slight malt to balance this very smooth and drinkable brew. The mouth is left tart but moist, not a dry beer. Hop lingers on in the aftertaste. A very well-done, well-crafted brew. Reminded me of a Great Lakes "Elliot Ness", Thats a compliment! (548 characters)

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.