Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.19/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.72/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

For what it is its good kinda lika an ipa lots of hop taste little citrus poured out 22 oz bottle in goblet

3.71/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.02/5  rDev -27.4%

Not all that good to me!

4.02/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.53/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours brown with a fading head.
Nose shows sweet rich malt, caramel, piny and resinous hops.
Similar rich, malty and bitter flavours. Comes off a little abrasive, could use a bit more sweet clean malt.

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

4.21/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.41/5  rDev -18%

Tasty but not overly memorable.

3.86/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.27/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I will admit this is not the first time I have had this beer. Long ago and many beers back I thought I was up to the task of drinking this beer. Intimidation was the key to the label, but I thought I had a palate that could handle it. I was wrong, it turned out to be a drain pour. I know? Crazy! So many years later here I have returned to see where I am with this one...

Appearance: Nice amber almost brown ale appearance. Head retention is pretty solid as well throughout the imbibing of this bastard.

Aroma: Sweet candied malts, some hop presence but not a lot. This beer reminds me a lot of a dopplebock in that regard. Which the first time I drank it I had no idea what the hell a dopplebock was!

Taste: Sweet candied malts dominate, some bittering hops but nothing really that intense. Its a well rounded beer in that regard. Its a well balanced beer and very tasty.

Overall: I will admit this one has had some cellar time so it might have lost some hop bitterness. I remember it being extremely bitter the first time I tried it. I do not get that this time around. Its pretty well balanced over all and not nearly what the experience I had was the first time around. So, I guess I have lapped this one in its arrogance! Who's the arrogant bastard now?

4.31/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Despite not being a style I would drink regularly, the IPA Hunter® owed it to himself to finally get around to reviewing this legendary beer. I like Stone; after all, they do hops, and they do it well. Getting a lot of fresh-baked bread and sugary sweetness on the nose. A bit like raisin bread, but very subdued. Not overwhelming; simply complimentary. Taste follows the nose, but there's unmistakable citrus hops on the finish. On the real. A bit prickly on the tongue, while not being exhausting or heavy on the mouthfeel. There's a fine line between arrogance and supreme confidence. Stone knew what they were doing with this one. I haven't been this excited while drinking a non-IPA since the last time I saw Lorna Morgan rocking some tasteful lingerie. Larrrrrrge!

3.89/5  rDev -6.5%

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet, it's one of my favorite "go to" beers. Very malty, lots of fresh citrus fruit, and a lovely dry, bitter finish. Fantastic beer + very reasonable price = me coming back time and time again.

4.46/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.76/5  rDev +14.4%

3.56/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: [4.25] Beer is a light brown color in the glass. It appears to be mostly transparent. Forms a nice 1 1/2 finger head. The head is an off-white color and has nice staying power. The beer lists the ABV at 7.2% and a best by date of 2/17/15 (in 10 days).

S: [3.25] Smells of bread and malt. The malt is a sweet smell like brown sugar - but not very intense.

T: [3.50] The beer is malt forward at first with a sweet taste out of the gate. Subsequent sips build the bitter from the hops (I have found this with other Stone beers). If you take it slow the balance works really well. I am not getting specific flavors just the sensations of sweet and bitter.

M: [3.75] This beer has low carbonation - it actually felt like a nitro to me at first. The dominant mouth feel characteristic is the long dry finish.

O: [3.75] The balance is there on this beer. The nose was a little weak and I am not getting specific flavor elements on the taste. Overall it is a well made beer. I would drink it again - but might not seek it out. I think that since it is 10 days from expiration it may have lost some punch on the nose and taste.

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.