Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Has a nice brown with red tint, 1.5 inch or so head, med-long retention

Smell were pretty over powering with a battle between hopes and spices

Starts with very hoppy almost bitter taste that leads into a spicy Carmel

Very smooth going down with medium carbonation

Very good beer have had it multiple times and haven't been disappointed once.

rtaps, Jul 26, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

This beer was great. Poured wonderfully with a big head and drank very bitter and hoppy, which I expected and wanted when I bought it. Definitely worth the money and not too hard to find in my town. More bars should have this on tap.

icheadle90, Jul 25, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a super dark red with an inch of white head. Not much lace.

The smell is floral and caramel sweetness. There is a hint of the tobacco and some other spicy finish scents.

The taste is very hop forward. Citrus, pine, sweet weed resin, caramel, this beer has a lot going for it. A touch sticky and resinous going down.

Great brew. I'm not always in a ASA mood but when I am, this is an easy go to.

OBeerMeGreatOne, Jul 25, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured into pint glass from a 22 oz. bomber

A- Red amber color with a really thick white head

S- Intense floral, hoppy smell, with hint of malt

T- Really smooth ale, then the hops come after a second, with somewhat intense bitterness, but still smooth. Taste citrusy. Aftertaste is extremely mouth numbing, but in a good way.

M- Very full bodied, slight carbonation, goes down very well, with a smile

O- Great beer for its style. Great for hopheads, even better for me

MrDonQuixote, Jul 25, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours clear amber with a small white head.

Aroma is of papaya, flowers, honey. Very nice.

Flavor is primarily of the bitterness of the hops, with a sweet malt undertone. Hops are fairly generic in flavor - not particularly piney or citrusy - slightly floral not much. Malt is slightly honey sweet.

Mouthfeel is dry and lingering from the bitterness.

Overall it's a good beer, not great, but good.

lionchow, Jul 24, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -1%

Imported from my ratebeer.com profile - FEB 23, 2008

22oz bottle. Pours a dark amber red color with pretty good head. Tastes of malts, hops, alcohol and tart fruit. A very dark, heavy and hop-dominated beer. This is a very strong, hop-dominated brew and quite frankly, I am not worthy. The quality of this beer is top notch, and if you enjoy a hop-dominated flavor you will love this.

kflorence, Jul 23, 2011
3.8/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured at Pigs Fly. Appears a dark hazelnut color with a thin beige head.

Lots of tropical fruits in the aroma. Pineapple and mango come to mind win hints of caramel adding a little bit of sweetness to round it out. Bitter piney hops take the forefront on the pallet. A lot of the fruit aroma is masked by simple bitterness. Still get the sweet caramel finish in the flavor though.

A bit sharp on the feel but a nnce light body. Overall it's pretty easy to see why people love this beer. It's unique but doesn't stray into the strange territory.

Bendurgin, Jul 22, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from a bomber, pours dark amber with tan head that sticks around a little with some lacing. Very aromatic with malt and hops most prominent. Taste is very well balanced with lots of malt, good hops, and a little bitterness. A great beer that I would try to keep on hand.

Coplains, Jul 22, 2011
1.1/5  rDev -73.6%

Got this in bottle from Trader Joes.

I'm sorry, but A- rating for this? I know I'm a lightweight but this drink was f-ing HORRID. I almost gagged at the disgusting aftertaste of this beer. The appearance was fine, nothing to complain about...but everything else was simply 'awful'. I realize that BAers love the outrageous, extreme, in-your-face beers, but this is just nasty. Please stay away if you have any real taste.

Drainpour for me, and my lowest rating yet. This is the type of beer that put me off drinking for so long.

P.S. Whoever the reviewer is that said "this is a great session beer" needs their head checked.

Northsider, Jul 21, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

This beer pours a dark ruby color with no head but some lacing. The aroma has hints of plums and brown sugar. The taste has hints of coffee, figs, raisins, chocolate and cinnamon? The mouthfeel is a bit overcharged and leaves a bitter finish that lingers for some time. Overall a good beer.

csiewert, Jul 18, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

The beer pours out brownish-red in color with a thick and heavy off-white head on top. The smell is slightly sweet - with tones of caramel malts and a slight pop of citrus hops underneath. The beer's taste is powerful and strong, but surprisingly well balanced and sneaky with regards to hiding it's ABV. At first taste the beer smacks you upfront with a strong citrus hop bite. Then you get pleasant sweet caramel and roasty - almost nutty - tones throughout the drink with a clean-dry finish on the swallow. There's a notable amount of hop oil which lingers on the tongue after the swallow, but it's not overpowering and balances the malt tones gracefully. Overall, the drink of Arrogant Bastard ale is outstanding.

jmvecchio1, Jul 16, 2011
2.53/5  rDev -39.3%

Man, It really has been far too long since I’ve had the beer. Like I said before – I got a bit annoyed from their beers a few years back and sort of stopped buying them. Not in any boycott or shit like that, just fell off my grocery list.

Anyway, I let the bomber get a little closer to room temp and poured into a skinny tulip. It pours a dark, mahogany brown with a frothy sweat stained white head that pours a few fingers thick and then dimples and craters quickly on the surface, but holds on tight to the sides of the glass leaving a nice lacing. 3 minutes go by and the head settles down to a nice foamy surface about a half inch thick with rings sticking around up north.

For a dark brown ale, it is crystal clear. Very filtered and I can almost make out Aceves’s beer gut through the glass if I hold still long enough. Held up to the light, you get a little coca cola ruby red/brown at the base of the glass. Nice looking beer – certainly looks like a strong ale.

Haven’t smelt this beer in a long time, but oddly enough it smells the same, familiar. A weird smell I think – very bitter, very hoppy… but the pine aroma is supported by the foundation of grain, caramel, toffee aroma beneath it.

Maybe it’s because I just had a DIPA… but I think it has a pretty “watery” mouthfeel compared to last time I had it. It finishes sticky enough… but I feel like it may have been “thicker” in my memory. Taste? Boozy, hoppy, grainy, chewy caramel – but a lack of balance if you ask me. The hops smack you around a bit with grapefruit/citrus… but its not that great citrus flavor that you cherish in a really well balanced and appropriately hopped beer. Just swinging its big grapefruit dick around with no abandon... I guess that's what an Arrogant Bastard does.

Wouldn’t say I’d get this again soon. I like a beer that is balanced – even when its high alcohol. There are plenty of 7+ ABV beers that are fantastically balanced… but this unfortunately (in my opinion) is not one of them. It doesn’t have much flow to it if that makes any sense… starts a bit watery in mouthfeel, ends very sticky. Starts out way to hoppy – filled with grapefruit.. ends with a not so great burnt caramel flavor. Awkward more than Arrogant... and I like big ass, hoppy, aggressive beers...

But it did look really nice.

calise1122, Jul 16, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

From a bomber dated best by 9-11-2011
Pours one and a half fingers worth of fairly creamy light brown to tan head. Some lacing sticks to the glass, a good cap sits behind as the head dissipates.

Smells quite honestly like B.O. Wow this is a new one for me. Maybe its skunked but I'm not sure based based on the age, usually the born date is three months before the best by date. This also smells fruity, citrusy, carmel, piney, dank hoppy ness.

Taste blends quite well, piney, Carmel, citrus, juicy oranges.

Mouthfeel is medium. Medium carbonation. The finish is quite a bit of lingering piney, resinous coating oily hops.

Overall this is a solid American strong ale offering. I'm glad I've finally tried this. I'll easily get this one again if I know its fresh. Thank you stone for the bottle dating.
6$ a bomber

Homebrew35, Jul 15, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a dark red amber color with a nice thick, healthy head.
nice roasted malt aroma and sweet caramel, with a great citrus hop tone, reminded me of a very bitter grapefruit.
the grapefruit citrus flavor carries on to the taste, with a lingering malty aftertaste, with a nice hoppy kick. very nice dry finish, great beer, hope to get my hands on some more.

PRpitmaster, Jul 13, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -18.5%

1 Pint bottle ( or whatever imaginary measure America conjured up in its wild past) poured into a rocks glass. Before anyone screams blasphemy I'm in a hotel, it's the best I could do.

A: Copper red colour, looks really promising. Good layer of foam, disappeared pretty quick, but the colour is enchanting.

S: Hops, Hops, Hops.

T: Starts off nicely with an average sort of ale taste, then come the hops. Aggressive, mean hops. Hordes and hordes of hops, assaulting my mouth, sending signals to my brains to GET THIS DOWN OR OUT! NOW! I gulped it down slowly, it gets tough halfway, but finishes better

M: Heavy, like a dying star. Sip, don't gulp.

O: Well I drank this mean motherfucker, and didn't regret it. Good as an aperitif. More of a feature than a headliner. If you want
something bitter, I would personally choose Southern Tier's IPA or 2XIPA, but definitely try it if you see it.

Kubus, Jul 11, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +9.8%

This was my first beer ever from Stone Brewing. It was on tap at a local sports bar... and I loved it. Great taste, great appearance... it is what a good ale should be!

My next trip to BevMo and I saw some of their other beers, I knew I was in for a treat. A tasty treat! Bravo Stone Brewing!

Diesel76, Jul 10, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -22.1%

This beer has thrown me for a loop. I tried it because of a TV show. I liked the name and the brewing company seemed like they were aiming for perfection which for an american ale I think they are damn close. The Bottle reads as follows:

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you’re mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!

A - absolutely beautiful deep red and brown look

S - I rate all beers a 3 because I have no sense of smell

T - HOPS...lots of HOPS

M - Warming feeling in pit of stomach. You want more though, then you begin to gulp. Flow of the beer runs deep into the depths of you.

O - I think they are on to something here

tjsmith910, Jul 09, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a bomber into my Iron Horse mug

A Pours a deep amber almost copper color with a 2 finger off white head that has great retention.

S I get notes of hoppy pine and citrus right up front with a hint of malty caramel on the back.

T Strong citrus hop notes balanced out with caramel and alcohol notes. Nothing subtle here.

M Kind of thick with good carbonation.

Overall there is a reason this one is a standard. It is a powerful tasting beer that is pretty much a hop bomb. There is a reason this one is one of my favorites.

beerandcycling88, Jul 09, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +8.6%

Served straight from a 22 oz brown bomber bottle because I didn't feel like washing a glass. Lemme cut to the chase and skip the formalities, everyone else already said what the stuff looked like. This is a BIG, flavorful ale that revels in its aggressive complex nature. This ain't a beer that you pair with a ceasar salad. Think venison chops with bleu cheese crumbles on top, or beef stroganoff. It reminds me of the Ginger beer sodas that the fancy pop companies make. Overall a very good beer if you like big flavor, which I do.

Sdesenberg, Jul 09, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Bottled opened on 7-7-11
22oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours a dark amber with deep, dark ruby red fingers. There is a huge tan head that also has some unique red tint. Strong retention and some patches of lacing left on the glass.

S - Malts, barley, wheat, and hoppiness.

T - A wild mixture of hops, barley, malts. Unique to me.

D - Full body and nice carbonation.

O - Not sure why I have always passed this one up, but I am glad I finally gave it a try.

HuskyinPDX, Jul 08, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +15.8%

Presentation - A 22oz bomber into a snifter glass.

A - Pours a nice amber/dark red color with a 2 finger off white head.

S - Smells strong of hops, spiciness, and alcohol. Citrus notes also come through all the hop power.

T - The front has a strong, bitter, citrus hoppiness that tickles the senses and warms the soul. The back is caramel malt flavors with a nice alcohol finish.

M - Full bodied with mild carbonation. Your mouth will explode from the powerful hop flavor.

Overall this is a really good beer. Great hop character and a great name. It fits me very well. (nose in the air)

bluesfan1181, Jul 07, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

The beer that started it all! (for me anyhow)

Shuffled on down to the new stone store in south park today and picked myself up a growler of some good 'ole AB. I've been drinking this beer for 10+ years, so time for a quick review!

A: pours a deep clear copper red with a copious off white head that lingers and lingers.

S: A perfect mixture of malt sweetness with piny and citrusy hops.

T: malt, hops, bitterness, caramel, citrus. Yum.

M: Good and solid. Not thin or dry, but not too thick or sticky either. Juuust right.

O: A true classic in the craft world, and deservingly so. Am I worthy? I don't know, but I like it!

MCorrea, Jul 03, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -27.3%

picked this up at my local bottle shop after all of the beer friends at the latest event said it was a must try i had to go out and snatch one of these so grabbed a bomber of it

poured decent real clear had an ok head on it, dark red in color

the aroma was a bit off it had a weird shoe leather thing going on what is up with that? maybe it was a bit old but i did not get much hops at all but i definitely could smell some alochol in there

taste was not that good i had high hopes for this beer but got let down so strange i really liked the levitation beer but this one had no balance too much alcohol in it and no real balance

mouthfeel was ok but you were burned in the end, just an average beer with an above average price

i would like to try more stone beers but for me this beer was just overhyped or at least not what it was made out to be i will go have a levitation beer instead

renegadeburger, Jul 03, 2011
3.8/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured from a bomber into BJ's Brewery 2011 Father's Day special pint glass...

A - Pours mahogany with a one finger tan head on a fairly aggressive pour. There is a good amount of head retention to be had and a little slippery lace...

S - Citrus fruits, caramel, and hops. Smells a little burnt...

T - Grapefruit and various other citrus fruits. Caramel makes a small appearance, but citrus fruits and hops are definitely the main attraction here. Ends with a good dose of bittering hops and some lingering grapefruit...

M - Medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. Creamy and smooth...

O - A solid brew, but not something that is in my constant rotation. Double bastard is an overall better brew in my opinion, but the price is definitely right for this one...

Cheers...

comfortablynumb1, Jul 02, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured a rich coppery brown...with a dense two finger long lasting head on a midly aggresive pour. Moderate lacing. Good mouthfeel, with a bitter bite on the back of the tounge that is lasting. I like the beer far more than i was expecting and would enjoy drinking this beer at any time.

HOMEPL8, Jun 30, 2011
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.