Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
KingEdward

3.8/5  rDev -8.9%

I poured this out of a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. The beer is amber colored with a 2 finger off white head that is frothy and leaving some nice lacing. The beer smells of hops, a little malt, and some floral notes. The beer has a nice pale flavor with hops, malt, and a little bitterness. Their is a little sweetness on the front end. The aftertaste is bitter, hoppy, and lingers for along time. The beer has a medium body and is nicely carbonated. It is frothy and a little silky in the mouth. This is a very good beer and I would be happy to have another.

01-25-2010 03:39:08 | More by KingEdward
MisterTiat

3.78/5  rDev -9.4%

A: Beautiful amber color, creamy thick head, off white, little yellowish brownish, lacing is good, not fantastic.

S: strong hop, piney smell. Balanced with some roastiness

T: Complex. Earthy hop notes at the back of the tongue and throat, sweet maltiness at the tip of the tongue, roastiness comes in along the sides. Taste of hops lingers long after finishing.

M: Feels good, rolls around of tongue pleasantly, not fantastic but good

D: With such full flavor it is hard to drink a bunch of these, and also dont expect to be able to sample other beers after this one, the hops stick to the mouth

01-23-2010 02:49:49 | More by MisterTiat
Tilley4

Tennessee

3.93/5  rDev -5.8%

I can't believe I've never reviewed this brew... I've had it several times over the years and I guess I overlooked it...

Pours a beautiful ruby red with a thick creamy eggshell head... This is one beautiful beer to look at...

Piney citrusy aromas mingled with dark sweet malts and maybe even a little fruit on the nose... A bit subdued but still nice..

Huge oily piney hoppiness mingled with those sweet dark malts very well here... There's a bitterness on the finish that is a bit astrigent and almost earthy or dirty tasting... Its still very tasty and has me ready for another sip...

Not my favorite Stone offering but a solid very accessible brew that never disappoints...

01-22-2010 15:32:38 | More by Tilley4
marcobrau

3.63/5  rDev -12.9%

Very bright amber-red ale. Smells of cooked broccoli at first (hope I'm not getting a sinus infection.) Calibrated my sniffer and I get more pine tree and less cooked veggies. Very spicy hop flavor mixes well with what tastes like a complex array of caramel malts. Very smooth. Aggressive hop bitterness is subdued by a pleasant sweetness. Not too bad. Drinkability is surprisingly good. I'm not sure how old the bottle is, it may be a little oxidized. Based on the other reviews I have to wonder if a I have a bottle that is slightly bad. Massive hop burps though...

01-22-2010 02:12:35 | More by marcobrau
MOB210SA

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thick 1 finger dense mocha/tan head retains well and stays put. Deep rich ruby red mahogany nice looking in color. Some good lacing

Sweet nose, caramel candy sugar

Strong hoppiness bite and taste. Loads of caramel maltiness and a little roasted malt. Its balanced nice and formitable ale. Big in the taste department.

Smooth, slick, lingering and a slight alcoholic after feel.

Ive always loved Arrogant Bastard. I will return to review again and improve on this one.

01-22-2010 00:50:45 | More by MOB210SA
berley31

New Brunswick (Canada)

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

A: Poured with an average-sized, off-white head that had some staying power before finally diminishing down to 1/2-finger or so. Pretty good lacing. Body is a nice, dark ruby-brown color, and almost totally clear.

S: The aroma is quite sweet, very fruity, with a light lingering of hops.

T: Starts fairly sweet, just like the aroma, with a light fruit flavor that rolls along the tongue. Builds up to a bitter and quite dry finish, with a long-lasting duration. Slight warmth from the alcohol warms the throat.

M: Medium-bodied and quite creamy, with average carbonation.

D: I have yet to be disappointed by Stone, and all of the good things I had read about Arrogant Bastard were completely justified.

01-19-2010 13:27:33 | More by berley31
Jeebs

4.55/5  rDev +9.1%

A: Pours a dark amber with 1.5 fingers worth of off white yellowish head. The head slowly dissipates and leaves GREAT lacing down the glass.

S: Smells of tropical fruits and hops with a hint of alcohol.

T: Starts off with a malty sweetness which turns into grapefruit and citrus, and ends with a nice hoppy bite.

M: Medium to full bodied with perfect carbonation! Bitter yet smooth.

D: Very drinkable beer! Great complex taste with perfect mouthfeel. If I could get this beer at home I would drink it all the time. I will definitely be picking a couple more bottles of this up before I head home!

01-19-2010 03:09:01 | More by Jeebs
Lldeegan

Louisiana

4.13/5  rDev -1%

Pours a deep mahogany, rust color with an off white to khaki frothy head that recedes after a few moments of grandeur and leaves a chunky ring of lace as it settles. Smells of caramel malt hit first and hen give way to pine and mostly grapefruit hop aromas. Nice fruitiness from the yeast, some grain and alcohol heat. Later as it warms some nutty smells and phenols are present. From the start it has a very complex taste. At first the boldness tease then beats the hell out of the palate until you submit. Sweet malt flickers upfront but then backs off to the powerful hops (which are part of the classified recipe). The hop flavors start as pine, and then grapefruit follows it up and kowtows to the massive bitter finish. It has a medium to full body, with good carbonation and it is actually quite pleasant once you get a hold of this beast. Definitely a bold beer to drink all night or to pair with mild cuisine, but it might be paired well with spicy barbeque, other seasoned or smoked meats, strong cheese, or something that can fight back in the battle of your tongue.

01-19-2010 01:04:48 | More by Lldeegan
nickadams2

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

On tap at the Uptown Grille in Commerce, Michigan.

I,ve read the bottle and its full of shit. Chances are you are worthy of this beer.My wife who hates beer took a sip of mine and said "mmm fruity!". Highly overrated in my opinion.

A_ Dark reddish brown almost purple with a thin off white head. Moderate lacing.

S_Hops and fruit. Not much else.

T_Pretty sweet and fruity. Some caramel malt coming through but subdued by the hops and fruit. Taste kind of like a watered down IPA. (Had this many times at Uptown and went to a Two Hearted as soon as I finished.)

M_Medium bodied moderately carbonated.

D_Would make for a good session but I find this beer unworthy. (Irony!)

01-18-2010 00:35:37 | More by nickadams2
WeedKing4

Ontario (Canada)

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Had this in the past and realized I haven't reviewed it yet. 22oz bombers poured a dark ruby brown colour with a decent amount of foam. The taste up front if a strong malt hop bite, followed with a almost sweet like floral hop taste. It drinks incredibly smooth and each bomber I had of this disappeared in short time. After watching the beer wars dvd, I had a craving for this beer. Glad I got to try it, and it was quite delicious. Bring on the double bastard next.

01-17-2010 17:25:40 | More by WeedKing4
Thorpe429

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a reddish-hued brown with a nice head and plenty of lacing. The aroma starts out with plenty of bitter, resinous hops as well as some toasted malt and accompanying sweetness. Good caramel scent, which follows through into the flavor with a bit of toffee. Some floral hops alongside the bitter piney hops. Medium-bodied and well carbonated; very drinkable.

01-17-2010 02:52:45 | More by Thorpe429
BillyBoysPie

Kentucky

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

From a 750 into an imperial pint glass. There were a few ounces left in the bottle that I'll finish off after the first glass.

A very dark reddish-amber with an inch of dense, off-white head that stuck around the glass and for a while. It's a great color - I think they should sell it at paint stores as "Arrogant Bastard Amber."

Tangy grapefruit, lime and lemon with floral notes. Very open and clear flavors with some malt behind - nothing more than barley and toffee.

Like the nose suggests, grapefruit starts this beer off. It moves quickly from the citrus into pine & other saps into bitters. Clean malts balance the beer.

Easy to drink, medium-light mouthfeel. The slightly high alcohol is well hidden. Great beer, and would pair well with many foods.

01-17-2010 02:02:51 | More by BillyBoysPie
Chambic

4.38/5  rDev +5%

01.11.10 at Monk's Kettle in San Francisco.

A: dark copper goodness

S: heavily malted hop

T: It's got bite! The only way to describe it

M: feels nice and smooth, balancing the agressive flavor

D: I can drink lots of these -- and I have!

I just plain love this beer. It's been a favorite for almost a decade. Yum, yum, yum, keep 'em coming.

01-15-2010 21:22:15 | More by Chambic
honeybrewer

2.4/5  rDev -42.4%

Quite an original looking label; it's nice to see something different. This beer poors a nice copper color, with a good white head that fades away pretty quick. Looks appealing.
The smell is nothing remarkable; moderate hop aroma in no way prepares you for what is coming.
Intense, hot, overpowering hop flavor. Very sharp, very bitter. As it warms this mellows just enough that I can get a taste of the malt behind the hops. Definetly needs to go with a big rare steak.
Definetly for the dedicated hop lovers only. From the arrogance on the label I was expecting a beer with big full malt and hop flavors, but all I got was the hops. I didn't really like this beer, but that does not mean it isn't any good. If you like to chew on mouthsfull of hops, this brew is for you.

01-15-2010 02:11:50 | More by honeybrewer
colefsuwr

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

I had this beer from a 24oz bottle. The first time I had it, it was a LOT of beer in one bottle. It was heavy and bitter! I was not worthy just like the back of the bottle says. After going back to it knowing what to expect I loved it. It also prompted me to make my own american strong ale.

01-14-2010 20:41:42 | More by colefsuwr
sitarist

A- Pours a red/brown like the color of iced tea. One finger head dies down quick. Lacing is good.

S- Dare I say pineapple? Some grapefruit, but I really smell pineapple. Alcohol!

T- Just like my nose; my taste buds pick out a slight pineapple taste with hints of grapefruit. There is a slight malt presence also. You can also taste the alcohol.

M- Medium body, smooth, bold, balanced well with the malt.

D- Very drinkable as long as you respect it. In other words a good sipping beer. Beer swillers beware of this one.

01-14-2010 02:25:30 | More by sitarist
chenzo9999

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

There have been many a time in my life that I myself have been called an arrogant bastard. If I had even half the bite this beer has, when people assigned these characteristics to me, I am shocked that they would still be talking to me.

I underestimated the flavor from first smell, but it quickly grabbed me by the shins and shook the money from my pockets. It was delicious and there was no question that I was drinking a beer.

Delicious and I cannot wait for a second encounter... and then a third... and so on...!

01-12-2010 02:46:18 | More by chenzo9999
JustinJTisdale

3.08/5  rDev -26.1%

The music venue I work at has this on tap all the time so Ive had my fair share in order to review appropriately.

Stone brewers may be alot of things but liars they are not. It says on the bottle "You probably wont like this" and for the most part there right. Everyone I know hates this beer but I beg to differ. Despite its slightly acrid overtones and overbearing amount of hops I find it has a specific character and mood to it and as a beer serves its overall purpose.

The color is slightly reddish and it pours a lighter head that sticks around surprisingly long. The beer is often chilled a little too much where I get it but at the right temperature (maybe out of a bottle) the tastes ring true and if you can get past the aftertaste its really not as terrible as one might think.

01-10-2010 22:09:40 | More by JustinJTisdale
elgiacomo

Georgia

3.43/5  rDev -17.7%

Aug 5, 2007

22oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a dark reddish brown with a nice 1 finger light tan head that dissipates to a light covering, but retains to the bottom of the glass. Excellent lacing.

Aroma is okay...something about it is a little off for me though.

Flavor is nice with grapefruit, piney hops. Somewhat sweet, moreso as it warms. Little bit of alcohol kick, but not too bad.

Smooth, full mouthfeel without too much carbonation.

A strong beer, it certainly gets your attention...

01-10-2010 21:45:38 | More by elgiacomo
countrocula

3.73/5  rDev -10.6%

Gonna make this sort and sweet. Sort of like my last experience whit the BASTID

Sniffer gets hop, decomposing leaves on the forest floor, booze, malt

Nice hop bite. Leaves with a charred sugar caramel sting.

Good carbonation for an ale of this type. Fluidity is good. Cuold be the state of my mouth but by the end of the bottle I had a pooling of Bastard essence on the back pf the palate.

Goes down easy. I'd like this with some sweet BBQ like dripping ribs. So dripping I call them REE-YIBZ. I could also kill about 4 bombers of this and pass out very happy.

01-08-2010 02:03:54 | More by countrocula
beerbutcher

Maine

deep red beer with slight head that hangs and laces nicely.

hugely aromatic. loads of hops and slightly toasted caramelly malt. big and slightly hot esters gain intensity as beer warms.

this is thick, almost oily on the palate with serious hop intensity. lots of resiny citrus, like burnt grapefruit marmalade.. leaves the palate reeling.

i like that there are beers in the world which go so far. the size of the beer makes it exhausting to drink, but despite that, the maltiness really holds the beer together. style this in a 5% version and I'd drink a lot more of it.

01-05-2010 20:46:42 | More by beerbutcher
boogyman

4.05/5  rDev -2.9%

A- Poured into my Deschutes tulip glass. Color is a very very dark copper color with a off white head that is around two fingers. Lacing is fairly sticky. Cool bubbles floating on top.

S- Smell is fairly sweet with some tart dark fruit. You can definitely tell this is gonna be more malty then anything. Plums and cherries are strong on the nose.

T- Taste comes out strong on the malt but is balanced very nicely by the bitter hops. The nose comes on slightly which is nice on the palate. The sweet with the malt with the bitter hops makes this quite a tasty brew.

M- Feels fairly smooth and goes down easy. No alcohol burn to speak of.

D- I could easily have this frequently and this is not difficult given that this drink can be obtained in many places all year round. Definitely a beer I would go to if I had no dedicated beer store near by.

01-04-2010 05:41:09 | More by boogyman
buschbeer

3.93/5  rDev -5.8%

22 oz bottle

I poured into a pint glass to a generous tan head. I is a deep copper color. The first thing I notice is the hops, both in smell and flavor. I have only had one other ASA and this is nothing like the Dragon's milk. This is just pretty much hops dominated.

Cheers!

01-03-2010 21:03:24 | More by buschbeer
beertunes

2.6/5  rDev -37.6%

This is a beer I used to drink regularly, then one day I found myself bored with it and haven't had one in at least two years. This style doesn't have a lot of clear definitions, and versions vary greatly. Let's see what's up.

Served in straight pint glass. Poured an attractive mahogany color with about a half inch of light tan head that quickly dissipated and left minimal lacing.

A mostly bitter hop aroma wafts through the olfactory area, with just a touch of malt in the background. The flavors are the mix of sweet and bitter, with that harsh metallic taste I remember still dominant.

The body is decent, solid and not heavy. Drinkability is not good, this beer is just not very enjoyable. This beer is very popular so my opinion is going to be the minority, but I won't be seeking this beer out again for a while.

01-03-2010 12:14:10 | More by beertunes
guyforget

Colorado

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

pours a deep mahogany amber with a nice creamy head that dissipates to a foam that laces the glass with nearly every sip.

nose is nice but not huge, nicely hoppy but not intimidating. hints of malt and caramel.

taste is great, citrus hops up front that finishes with toasty, caramel maltiness. almost a hint of bread or yeast in the very back.

feels clean in the mouth, average carbonation for the style, bitterness lingers but not intrusive.

very drinkable. i wouldnt want to have more than 2 bombers in a night, but its always a possibility for purchase.

01-02-2010 20:22:23 | More by guyforget
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.