Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
abar22

Alabama

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

12 oz bottle into a Sam Adams Sensory glass

The dark amber Bastard poured a creamy, rocky 2 finger head that left a nice sticky coat of lacing. The head settled into a solid foam cap.
Big piney citrus smell with hints of earth in the background. Very aromatic.
Strong piney hops ride the malt backbone throughout. Beautifully hoppy. Spicy pine finish keeps me coming back for more and more.
Nice carbonation and solid mouthfeel makes it easy to down a bomber of this. Undoubtedly my favorite beer so far...

03-28-2009 21:26:53 | More by abar22
blaje

Quebec (Canada)

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

Oh yes, being waiting a long time for this one...I prepare myself for a challenge...

What a challenge! Wow, It was hard for me to imagine a beer like this. Immensely challenging beer a first. This one really fall into the "extreme beer " category.ry. Like few others did before this one.

anyway. A dam good beer. Tremendously challenging and way far to complex for me to be able to pull out every aspect of this beer. At first, you'll find it very unbalanced. and at the end, you'll find it very... unbalanced! Toffee and caramel smell will come up at first but flooded with floral hops, malt, molases, even nuts and earth. Bitter chocolate (I'm i dreaming or what).

First bomber will be hard to drink, but once you'll get used to it, you'll come back, fore sure. Many Tasteful beer will taste... ordinary after trying this one! I think I'm worthy now!!!

03-28-2009 01:07:41 | More by blaje
Kromes

Georgia

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a darker amber color with a thick tannish head. Good lacing all the way down the glass. Great citrus grapefruit hop smell. There is a very slight toasted malt flavor that is quickly overpowered by the extreme grapefruit hop flavor. This is pure grapefruit juice. The bitterness lingers long after the finish.

03-27-2009 23:47:02 | More by Kromes
jeffsala

3.65/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Dark Brown with reddish hues. Poured into a tulip glass from a 22oz bomber. Very nice head that lingers in the glass.

S - Malty with sweet tones. Lightly hopped with citrus and pine smells present.

T - There is a lot going on with this brew. The malt hits first and then a pine/citrus tone as an aftertaste. It's an interesting beer and definitely well crafted, but not to the point where would put it on my top 10 list.

M - Rich and Satisfying. The ABV is not to noticeable and agreeable aftertaste.

D - To me this is a one and done beer as least when presented in the bottle. I remember a somewhat different experience when I had it on Draft at Mad Mex in State College PA. I would like to try it again on tap and then revise this review if the experience is different.

03-26-2009 13:03:27 | More by jeffsala
Voonder

Alberta (Canada)

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours very clear dark ruby/brown colour large off-white head. Smell - hops, citrusy notes, some fruitiness (pear-like). Nice, inoffencive, pleasant aroma. Taste - starts off with hoppy bitterness which goes all the way through, followed by warming alcohol, some grapefruit, pine. It's really bitter al the way through, with slightly spicy finish. Very interesting and very different. Mouthfeel -aggressive, i'd even say purposley unbalanced. Creamy, a bit sticky. Drinkable for ABV.

03-26-2009 04:00:56 | More by Voonder
teejay76

Utah

Let me just start by saying that this has become the gold standard by which I judge all other beers. While that should suffice, I have to hit my 250 character minimum so I'll make this nice and easy.

Appearance - Excellent. Dark amber waterfall from heaven.

Smell - Excellent, I wish I could request this scent at the car wash.

Taste - Excellent. This is what Adam drank in the Garden of Eden.

Mouthfeel - Excellently thick, rich and bitter. Not for "sniveling yellow-beer-drinkin' wimps" (Directly from the label).

Drinkability - Excellent, but truth be told. I could probably only handle two of these...

I have yet to experience a finer brew than this.

03-26-2009 02:14:06 | More by teejay76
DannyS

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured this into my favorite duvel tulip from a 22 oz. bomber. I'm not worthy? You're on, bitch!

A - A beautiful dark amber with a small yet fluffy and strong head. Holy cow, that's a lot of lacing.

S - Wet dog comes and slaps me in the face, but persistent sniffing yields toffee, caramel, and bitter cocoa. It's also got that malty sweet aroma i detected in HopSlam that's reminiscent of pink amoxicillin liquid. Yum.

T - A strong hoppy kick yielding medium bitterness when cold and a very malty sweetness as it gets warmer. Lots of complexity here: nuts, grain, hoppy resin, raisins, molasses...damn, it's like the beer's challenging me to find the flavors. Gets even better as it warms, giving off a yummy brown sugar taste.

M - Smooth with a medium-light body. Low carbonation, fels appropriate for this beer; definitely not 'fizzy yellow'. It's also fairly warming.

D - I don't get any alcohol burn, so it's really drinkable, the bitterness the only thing holding it back. I certainly finished the entire bomber by myself...which might have been a mistake.

Overall - Ha! I beat you, you snide, grinning gargoyle! I totally proved that I AM worthy of this vicious brew; the only drawback is that I'm having a slightly tougher time typing right now. But don't tell the goblin dude; I'm not about to show weakness in front of him!

Oh, and the beer's awesome.

03-25-2009 01:16:33 | More by DannyS
bsend

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured this 22 oz. bomber into a nice mug.

The beer pours a rich mahogany color. It provides a little amount of light to go through. The beer poured a nice 2 finger mocha, brown colored head that stayed with most of the brew.

The smell wasn't overly strong. I received a mix of dry fruit, some brown sugar, and a slight amounts of toffee.

The taste was top notch. It started out with an intense alcohol flavor that moved over into a more mellow sweetness and malt.

The mouth feel was excellent. I really like the smooth texture and light carbonation. It let me really move this around the mouth to experience the wonderful, vast amount of flavors.

The drinkability is definitely there. Wih an ABV of 7.2%, it can really knock you on your butt, but the mellowness of flavor helps to keep them going down right.

Final Thoughts - I love Stone Brewing Company and this was my first introduction to them a while back. Between the complex flavor and smooth drinkability, this ale solidifies it as my number one American Strong Ale. You have to pick up a 22 oz. bomber of this to truly appreciate American Craft brewing. Highly recommended!

03-23-2009 15:16:30 | More by bsend
beerbuddah

Ontario (Canada)

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

picked this beer up in Buffalo, put it in a mug.

A- a deep, caramel brown, a nice head, about an inch and a half, that disappears to a thin layer. The lacing is unreal.

S - smells of hops, and i smell a bit of alcohol.

T - Strong hoppy flavor at the beginning, then smooths out a little. The beer finished with a heavy, slap-in-the-face bitterness, as well as a strong alcohol flavor. That alcohol really stays on my tongue and cheeks.

M- thinner than average body, as well as carbonation, I don't mind it.

D - This beer is drinkable, although if you made it through two of these, you'd probably want to get in a fight.

The 7.2% feels and tastes more like 10. I didn't like it when I first tried it, but it grew on me. It's better when it warms up a bit, I liked the beer closer to the end of the glass.

03-21-2009 03:17:22 | More by beerbuddah
tim9887

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

22oz. bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Half inch or so of off-white foam that sticks around for a bit. Deep, dark amber color...when held up to the light, almost a dark ruby - quite beautiful.

Aroma: The piney quality of the hops dominate. Slight malty, almost syrupy sweetness.

Taste: Piney hop bitterness. Slight citrus qualities and a very faint smokiness as well. A great bitter, spicy finish. Hides the ABV well.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, refreshing carbonation.

Notes: Very refreshing and drinkable for an ale of this strength and character. Very complex. An amazing beer.

03-21-2009 03:11:51 | More by tim9887
cmaloy

Utah

4.88/5  rDev +17%

The best way to explain this beer is to say that it punches you in the face after you drink it. The hoppy bite in the aftertaste is strong and I really enjoyed the long lasting taste this beer left in my mouth.

The appearance was dark brown and maintained a foamy head on top.

You could smell the perfect blend of malt and taste the bitterness of the hops on the finish. When first drinking this beer you start off with a kind of creamy thickness and end with a bitterness you would expect in a strong beer. You can also taste the alcohol in the after taste.

I would recommend drinking this beer with red meat. Actually I would recommend drinking this beer period. This beer was great and is the beer to beat in this class.

03-17-2009 13:40:24 | More by cmaloy
cottonkoozie

4.05/5  rDev -2.9%

A - Great dark brown color with a nice head, good retention, and great lacing.

S - Nice hops up front, and a great malt balancing smell. Very good.

T - Hops really hit you at first, but the malts come back to really balance this beer.

M - Great feel, could have a litttle more body though, but still very good.

D - Very drinkable if you like hops, if not, then probably not so much.

Had this on on tap after already trying the oaked arrogant bastard. This is not as good as the oaked, but still a very good beer, just not as much complexity in this one.

03-16-2009 17:59:38 | More by cottonkoozie
aval89

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Picked up a 22oz bomber of this bad boy. Very familiar with this brew just hadn't reviewed it yet.

Poured a rich mahogany color into the glass with a beautiful creamy 2 finger head.

Immediate smell was pines with a citrus grapefruit aroma. Very light caramel hoppy aroma also.

Tasted of grapefruit with a nice citrus kick that I loved. Finishes strong with a big hoppy bite :D has a good malt backbone to support the hop bitternes. picked up pineapple and orange peel also.. quite tasty.

Mouthfeel was surprisingly smooth with little carbonation that leaves a strong hop finish, but I'm a hop head and don't mind it one bit :D Love that aftertaste of a nice hoppy beer.

As far as drinkablility, I drink a bomber of this stuff at least 3 times a week. Right before bedtime. I enjoy this brew from the great Stone Brewing Co.

If you haven't tried this brew, go out and sip it :D

Cheers!

03-16-2009 05:29:37 | More by aval89
delmarnate

Wisconsin

2.4/5  rDev -42.4%

I waited a long time to try this beer, and it was not worth the wait. The appearance is amazing, with a deep amber burgundy color. The taste is overwhelming hop from the outset. The aftertaste is almost like sucking a grapefruit. There is no complexity. It is all hops. Not worth it, even for a hop lover.

03-16-2009 00:50:52 | More by delmarnate
Stunner97

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

Appearance- dark brown yet still transparent and see through, nice tan to white foam head with decent retention, light to no bubbles in carbonation

Smell- Alcohol, malts, barley, and plenty of hops, also a smooth caramel tone, a certain nice molasseses sweetness mixed with hop bitter smell

Taste- Lots going on here in this one, up front get some malts, creamy full bodied, lots of hops over ride the finish with a touch of alcohol so slightly, really interesting taste on this one reminds me in some ways of the flavor in a lot of barley wines, Strong bitter hops ride the finish of the beer, very long lasting tasty after taste

Mouthfeel- full bodied yet still light and almost has a bit of a nice creamy smoothness to if, very smooth beer going down,

Drinkability- very tasty beer thats complex and has so much flavor its seeming with flavor, really good beer worth visiting many time and maybe getting different experience or thoughts each time, paired great with my burger and fries very tasty very complex hoppy beer, I like this one alot for sure, a real beer bottom line, alcohol at 7.2 makes this pack a well hidden wallop, very tasty beer to drink

03-15-2009 02:49:22 | More by Stunner97
jburns4

4.13/5  rDev -1%

22 oz. bottle

This is my first beer review, so I'm not really sure of the protocol on how these typically go, but I felt compelled to write one after having this hell of a brew. First off, I love the way this beer is pitched. It doesn't challenge you, it just disregards you.

The appearance is a nice dark brown with an off-white head that laces nicely.

The smell is underwhelming, although not displeasing.

Mouth feel is good, pleasantly viscous but not too thick. Goes down smooth.

Taste is bipolar. Starts off with a nice malt and changes quickly to a sharp bitter. Very nice balance though.

Overall great beer. I think I could drink a maximum of two bottles in one night, but am perfectly content with one.

03-15-2009 00:05:59 | More by jburns4
beeroclock

United Arab Emirates

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%

I finally had an opportunity to try this beer and the wait was worth it. I have never given a beer a 5 in any category and here it is....

Poured into a pint glass, deep amber/reddish, nice head that clung to the glass very well. Smelled of some caramel and toasted malt. Tasted the same but OMG, how nicely it was put together. Definitely not overboard, in fact the sweet is not really there, just enough to lure you in and give you the strong malt kick. Tasted most excellent! Mouthfeel and drinkability both were top notch. In fact, I can't really think of much else they could do to make it better, but I am very cautious of giving out 5's. This is the first in all of my years rating. Arrogant Bastard truly does stand out. I can't wait to get another!

03-13-2009 18:43:54 | More by beeroclock
kels

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

Split a bomber of this with bamadog last night. This is my first experience with AB, and he tells me he thinks the bomber was a little old (no date on bottle). I still liked it a lot, but good to mention just in case this review seems way off.

Appearance: Pours deep reddish-brown with a short, fluffy tan head that fades immediately to a skim. The liquid is clear with light carbonation running throughout, and traces of light, sticky lacing remain.

Smell: Very hardly detectable - only the lightest chewy maltiness comes through.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Very sweet, caramelly malts dominate the front end of this brew, followed by sticky, not-too-bitter citrusy hops . The bright, effervescent mouthfeel contributes to the smoothness of the feel, and the aftertaste is slightly bitter and quite sticky.

Drinkability: Really high. There's a nice balance of the flavors going, and it's not nearly as intimidating as the bottle suggests. Perhaps it has mellowed with age.

03-10-2009 05:39:20 | More by kels
brewdoc75

4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

Served from a bomber into a Duvel tulip.
Best by date: 4/21/09

A: Blood red to maroon. Beautiful reddish hues come off the glass. Could this be the blood of the gargoyle on the label? A crisp white head crowns the top. As it falls, a lovely lace kisses the edge of the glass. Carbonation is just right and not over lively.

S: Grapefruit hops backed up by a bevy of sweet malty aromas. Definite esters as the fruity aromas permeate. There is a hint of caramel as well. Not overly aromatic however.

T: Malty onslaught at first. Fruitiness is prevalent in the flavors. The fruits I get are plums and a slight hint of cherry. This reminds me of an old ale in its fruity/malty complexity. The malts are further asserted with strong caramel and a hint of toffee. I didn't really get a roasted flavor like others did initially, however as I drink up it definitely comes out. This is all quickly followed up with a solid hoppy bite. There is excellent balancing bitterness. It lingers for a while after the drink, punishing your tastebuds for even thinking about a lesser beer. The flavors blend well and the complexity is nice.

M: Medium bodied. A little on the syrupy side. The bitterness definitely drys out the palate.

D: This is a damned good beer. Now I know why it is so celebrated by beer geeks like myself. It was definitely a beer I'd try again, but I don't think I'd have more than one in a sitting. It is a great beer to have as a nightcap, but not for a hot day at the lake. On the other hand, I thought I would have problems drinking the bomber by myself. This isn't posing a problem at this point.

03-10-2009 02:16:40 | More by brewdoc75
dismal

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark red, dark copper color with a small but nice one finger head that leaves a little lacing down the glass. The aroma has a hint of fruit and of course hops. For me the aroma doesn't stand out a lot but whats there is definitely nice. The taste is wonderful. Pretty well balanced and not extremely hoppy. It's bitter but has some sweetness to it that I really like. The mouthfeel is good, it's nowhere near thin but it's not really thick making it at a nice place right in the middle. This beer is very drinkable. Not a high ABV and the taste is awesome. It's to bad Stone doesn't sell here so whenever I'm across state lines I'm always picking a few of these up.

03-09-2009 21:10:30 | More by dismal
markaberrant

Saskatchewan (Canada)

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

A - dark red, but crystal clear, flashing beautiful red hues when held to a light, light tan coloured head ain't going nowhere and completely coats my snifter with lace.

S - bitter grapefruit hits the nose first, but it is quickly backed up some malt sweetness, very clean, very simple, but also very good.

T - flavour closely follows the aroma, but with more depth and fullness. More breadiness from the malt, juicy, firm bitterness from the hops. Finish is long, piney bitterness lingers.

M - medium body, could possibly be a touch fuller, though it would take away from the drinkability, resinous, dry finish, medium carbonation, almost zero alcohol presence

D - right up my alley, robust flavours, well put together, easy to drink

Based on the colour and other folks thoughts, I was expecting more malt sweetness and toffee flavour, but this still has quite a lean and mean malt profile. The hops are assertive, particularly in the finish, but still blend together well with the rest of the beer. Agressive and simple, but perfectly executed.

03-09-2009 00:26:24 | More by markaberrant
WickedSluggy

4.68/5  rDev +12.2%

A - Deep brown developing a full rich head of tan colored foam that continues to stick in tight rings - not lace

S - Rich and roasted aroma.

T - Also rich and roasted. Slightly sweet and nicely bittered. Well balanced flavor with lingering bitterness. Full satisfying flavor.

M - Full-bodied and sticky

D - Delightful. Very easy to appreciate despite the ironic warning on the bottle, "you probably won't like it." No - you probably will love it

03-07-2009 05:17:18 | More by WickedSluggy
HalfFull

4.13/5  rDev -1%

Pours a deep reddish brown into a large wine glass. An inch of frothy light tan head sticks to the top of the pour and yields a fair amount of lacing. A surface cap and a fresh blast of hops accessible with a little spin.

Alcohol is notable on the nose initially, until it can breathe a bit. Some sweetish malts and citrus hops as well. More earthy on the hop nose later on particularly after a bit of a swirl. Quite enticing after a little warming with chocolaty hops abundant.

Bready malts on the tongue, touch of fig and chocolate. Nice rich body without being cloying on the sweetness. ABV is well hidden after a bit of air and warming, well balanced yielding a good drinkability. Nice.

03-06-2009 04:35:35 | More by HalfFull
JJBlanche

4.38/5  rDev +5%

I'll begin by saying this beer is certainly a staple among my circle of friends, and always gets a nod.

A - One finger head, dissipates a bit more quickly then I'd like. Dark red/brown.

S - Very good. Truth be told, I prefer Cascade to Centennial (blasphemy, some will say), but Arrogant bastard is still a benchmark in this regard.

T - Again, very good. Hops mingle with the high-lovibond Crystal quite nicely. Whoever decided upon this combination should get a medal (if they haven't already). American strong ales are vying for my favorite style.

M - Another very good mark. If I had to nit pick, I might say perhaps a little too thick/slick, but that's just nitpicking. Carbonation about right.

D - Good to excellent, depending upon my mood.

03-04-2009 06:58:09 | More by JJBlanche
benjilek

Maryland

3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

This was an exceptional beer. Very unique.

It has a dark amber color and a one fingered creamy head. However, the head dissipated rather quickly. This beer looks very inviting!

My first whip is all hops, however, very subtle. In fact, the smell is not what I expected or what I would expect from a strong ale.

This beer is thick - almost syrup like, and as promised it is very aggressive. It has a slight toasted coffee flavor and the hops hits you like a freight-train. The malt sneaks in at the very end for a lingering aftertaste.

This beer is a mouthful - thick and rich.

Drinkable, but you couldn't kickback 3 of 4 of these, 1 bottle is about all I could do.

03-04-2009 02:28:47 | More by benjilek
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.