Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.7/5  rDev +12.7%

&Great Beer But holy crap the size of the bottle! I was a few beers in decided to have just one more & want to try another new beer. So I ordered an Arrogant Bastard & the Beastly Beer came in a 1 pint 6 oz bottle.

I wasn't sold on the marketing on the bottle, It's just some winged demon, But I was impressed by the size.
The smell was somewhat hoppy but not too over powering.

The color was A nice dark carmel beer pouring into my mug with a lot of head. A great flavor with a good portion of hops to start out then blending into a sweet fruity carmel flavor. A top 10 beer on my list.

Brewmiser, Jul 05, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +18.2%

A: Dark shade of brown with a substantial head that leaves beautiful lacing on the glass

S: Carmel, biscuit, citrusy hops. Intense smell.

T/M: Really hoppy to start but finishes with a delicious carmel sweetness. Wow, I'm kind of blown away by this beer. The hop bite is substantial- resiny bitterness abounds, but this is balanced with an impressive malt profile. Thick, complex mouthfeel that really allows the complexity of this brew to shine. A bit of an alcohol warming, but the ABV is concealed rather well with all of the other flavors.

D: This is one of the best beers I've ever had, and if Stone distributed to Missouri, a beer that would regularly be in my fridge. Extremely complex and delicious.

Baraka, Jul 04, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

A: Pours thick. A darker caramel color, with a larger head that lingers.

S: Hops, hops and more hops, and a bit of citrus.

T: Delicious. A nice grapefruit taste to start off with a fair amount of caramel and maybe a hint of pine.

M: A bit thick, but very enjoyable. Definitely not something to chug down but enjoy.

D: Because it's so big, I don't think I could drink more than a couple of these in a night, but boy does it go down smooth.

SmithwicksNut, Jul 03, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -9.4%

Appearance: Dark brown/red with very little light making its way through. Thick and fluffy dirty white head. The head looks very creamy.

Aroma: Sweet cotton candy/caramel up front, fruity hops follow. I can smell pineapple and roasted malts.

Mouthfeel: Warming, smooth and creamy

Taste: Roasted, burnt carmelly malts up front with bitterness at the end. There's also sweetness at the end as well. It isn't too bitter though, I think it very balanced. You can detect the alcohol a little, but it's in no way overpowering or 'too much'.

Notes: I think this is a really great beer, but I split a bomber with two other people and feel like I've gotten my fill. This is definitely something I would seek out again, but not something I would drink in large quantities.

seh410, Jul 03, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

First of all, let me say that I love this bottle. I wonder how many people have actually been alienated by the whole "You probably don't want this" paragraph on the back. Hilarious! Now that I've gotten that out of the way, the review!

A - Pours a color that looks like cherry-wood. Very pretty, and with a 1-finger head the shade of light tan? Please... From the others I've had by Stone, I can say that they make very pretty beers, and this is no different. Great clarity, carbonation, and with good lacing too! Excellent all around.

S - Spruce and hoppiness. Very powerful, really. Apple-like quality to the hops as well, along side with a very slight hint at maltiness. Really quite pleasant.

T - Very aggressive, as I'd expect. Hops to the max all around. There's a sort acidic sourness to it, and that makes a really rough one to drink (though not bad!). Very bitter on the back end. Good overall.

M - Light-bodied and with sparkling carbonation. Feels good on the tongue, and finishes just a smidgen dry. Not surprising considering the hop quality.

D - On one hand, it isn't powerfully alcoholic nor is it too expensive. It is very bitter, though, and it is a rough drinking beer. I'll come back to it, but probably not in the same night.

Overall/notes - Another really good beer from a really good brewery. I actually had this once long ago, before I had any IPAs that I enjoyed, and was put off by it. This go-round was much more pleasant. In fact, I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed drinking this beer. I guess I'm an arrogant bastard after all.

bbkd3b, Jul 02, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

SMELL: Rich smelling, but light and quick. Sweet caramel malts up front blending so well with bright hops that you can't dissect the two apart. Some dark fruit like prunes and brown sugar.

TASTE: Just like the aroma - an intense blending of bright hops and rich, sweet caramel. They dance back and forth together in a complex, bitter, and entertaining way. Finishes appropriately quickly in a luscious way that demands another sip.

weazal, Jul 02, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

How has it taken me so long to review this bastard? It pours a translucent dark tawny brown, capped by a finger or so of ecru foam. The nose comprises a good amount of citrus, grapefruity, and piney hops backed by a strong backbone of solid caramel. The taste holds similar characteristics, though all elements are taken to a higher level: hops are large, the maltiness is large...maybe I'm not worthy after all, as I'm not sure how else to describe this flavor combination. The body is a hefty medium, with a moderate carbonation and a smooth feel. Overall, a beast, yes, but not as beastly as it would have me (or you) believe.

TMoney2591, Jun 28, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

The arrogant bastard is an all around great beer. It is well balanced with plenty of hops for bittering, yet a lot of malt to balance it all out. The mouth feel is right on par and is not anything close to a pale or "yellow fizzy beer."

It is not particularly drinkable because of its strong character. It is however, a nice beer to split amongst friends whilst BS ing.

The arrogant bastard is just what you would expect from Stone. A good go-to beer when you need one, the AB will never let you down.

mzrebiec, Jun 27, 2010
2.8/5  rDev -32.9%

22oz bomber poured into imperial pint.

A- Pours a dark ruby red that is completely transparent. A big two finger's worth of head that sticks around forever and leaves some good lacing on the side of the glass.

S- A fair amount of malt but not overpowering. Reminds me slightly of a lager. I pick up a little bit of hops and kind of a weird fishy smell.

T- Malty and biscuity right off the bat. A slight amount of alcohol There is another off taste that I can't really define.

M- Feels slightly thin and the only carbonation seems to come from the head. There is a little heat on the finish from the alcohol.

D- I am about half way through a bomber and am really struggling to finish this. Not a whole lot going on and could use some cooling off.

Wisconsinality, Jun 27, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

A: CARAMEL COLOR / HINTS OF RED IN THE LIGHT / HUGE HEAD THAT SLOWLY MELTS AWAY TO A FINE LACE

S: HOPS! / CITRUS ON THE FRONT / NUTTY ON THE BACK

T: GOOD BALANCE OF HOPS & MALT / BITTER ON THE END; ALMOST TOO MUCH / AS I WRITE THIS THE END SEEMS TO CHANGE WITH INCREASING MALTYNESS

M: SMOOTH WITH A SLIGHT CREAM / MEDIUM BODY / VERY COMPLEX

D: GOES DOWN WELL WITH THE ABV / COULD ONLY DRINK ONE DUE TO THE HOPS!

SERVING TYPE: BOTTLE

michaelpcarney, Jun 26, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

A: Pours a deep rubyish brown with a huge, persistent (and I do mean persistent; I couldn't wait and drank some of the foam!) off-white head that fades with good lacing.

S: The hop aroma hits your nose during the pour. It's a bracing fresh citrus hop smell, with just a hint of the underlying malt.

T: To me, this tastes very similar to Yakima Twilight, so let me reiterate what I said there: The hops kiss your tongue all the way on this one. The initial taste is a bracing hop bitterness, with the hop overtones kicking in in the middle. The finish is rather bitter, which renders it rather different from, say, a 90-minute IPA. Personally, I'd like a bit more malt backbone, but I'm not complaining.

M: Medium to full body with lots of happy bubbles.

D: Although I said above that I find the taste similar to Yakima Twilight, Arrogant Bastard is more drinkable due to the lower ABV. Now I must try the various aged versions...

speter, Jun 25, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

red, approaching brown in color. nice slow reducing head.

hops and more hops on the nose, though there is a thin, nutty malt undertone.

Great, great balance of sweet malt and bitter hops. Better with each sip.

goes down easy enough, heavyish mouthfeel. tastes stays with you.

Pretty good. Pretty, pretty good.

andyfrancis, Jun 24, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance - a chocolate brown color with 2 fingers of off white head

Smell - very hoppy, but not overpowering

Taste - A smooth bitter taste. Its interesting how the farther down the glass I got the less bitter the beer was and the more malty it became and then the last sip was bitter once again. It was really interesting.

Mouthfeel - Quite refreshing and smooth with medium carbination

Drinkability - Its the perfect beer to get home from a long day at work and to just sit in your lazy boy recliner and relax.

jmarvin4189, Jun 24, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tried this a few years ago before drinking microbrews and knew I wasn't worthy. This time around I was a much better match for the bastard.

A- Nice dark pour with light creamy head
S- Could smell the caramel malts very well
T- Good heavy taste. Bitter but good balance of malts.
D- Surprisingly goes down rather smooth with a little bite to it.

Never cared to much for the darker strong ales, but this one I liked a lot. Could easily see picking up a bottle or two with friends. Great beer, especially for the price of it.

HosP, Jun 23, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

Presentation: Poured into a tulip glass from a 22oz brown bomber.

A: Deep reddish brown color with a thick light tan head and moderate lacing.

S: Coarse hops and caramel malts. Some toasted grains.

T&M: Smooth and slightly fluffy texture. The malty sweetness balances the dry, fruity hops. Medium bodied, yet rich, and complex.

Strong ales are not my favorite, but this is the best I've had in this category. Very drinkable and the alcohol is masked very well.

cdizinno, Jun 23, 2010

Starts off thick, creamy and malty. Very aggressive flavor here. Next comes a strong rush of hops and a pretty bitter finish. A little overpowering, but a nice full flavor. You're certainly wearing out your taste buds with this one, but it's tough to have a session full of these. It's the type of big beer that Stone is known for.

uustal, Jun 23, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Appearance - Pours a brilliant deep red with a dense off-white head that doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Leaves thick rings of lace as the head recedes.

Smell - Fresh citrus hops dominate the nose. Smells really juicy. Big and inviting.

Taste - Bitter grapefruit up front with a nice roasted flavor adding some depth part way through. Finishes with a strong bitterness, which may be perceived as slightly harsh by some. Absolutely not balanced, but that's exactly what Stone was shooting for. The bitterness is bold and assertive in this brew and it is definitely the defining feature. I wish there was more citrus depth to the bitterness as the nose led me to believe. I should say that the malt does hold its own against the onslaught of hops and plays enough of a balancing role to make this another delicious beer from Stone.

Mouthfeel - Medium-full body. Smooth.

Drinkability - For those that aren't into hop bombs, beware. This is right up my alley, although I'd never want to follow this up with anything as it has a pretty aggressive taste. One bomber was plenty as the hops beat my taste buds pretty good, although the bomber went down surprisingly fast. Good work, Stone!

Sam21, Jun 20, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a 650 ml bottle in my standard Stone Brewing "FIZZY YELLOW BEER IS FOR WUSSIES." -Arrogant Bastard Ale pint glass.

A: Dark reddish brown hue. Pours a large cascading, frothy brownish head. Settles very slowly leaving giant peaks and craters, and dry sticky lacing on the sides of the glass. Substantial sticky lacing coats every inch of the glass as you drink it down.

S: Lightly roasted malt, pine nuts, and a very subtle bittersweet chocolate.

T: Robust malt, bitter hops. Very piny.

M: A touch of sweetness accompanies the bitter which coats and envelopes the entire palette. The steely, dry finish lingers relentlessly.

D: This one is something you'll sip and enjoy. The bitterness compels the issue.

Atmosphere is great. Deep and dark with a great head... a regal appearance. Nose is inescapable. The malt and pine is infectious. Flavor is not complex, but full and heavy. No subtlety or dilution here. Overall, this is a great quaff.

I am not worthy.

bmwats, Jun 20, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

apparance- brown color with an off-white head that goes away quickly leaving a nice looking lacing

smell- a weak hoppy smell with a slit hint of malt.

taste- a hoppy taste that suprised me because the hoppy taste is a lot stronger then the smell was. the deeper i got into the beer the more I got a hint of sweet tastes.

mouthfeel- A smooth carbnation mouthfeel.

Drinkability- I'm set with one twenty-two oz of this.

joeland, Jun 19, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

650ml brown bottle poured into a Delirium Tremens snifter.

A. Deep burgundy with with a massive off white bordering on yellowish creamy head.

S. Cherries, hints of banana, raisins, reed berries, a touch of dark chocolate and coffee notes.

T. Bitter chocolate, fruity malt, very hoppy.

M. Chewy - medium bodied

D. An easy drinking ale that doesn't taste 7.2%ABV. Really nice but the alcohol content would slowly creep up on you if you had a couple. Another sublime ale from the guys at Stone.

AEK, Jun 17, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Arrogant Bastard is a deep red-brown in colour topped with thick french vanilla foam heaped on top. Waiting for the retentive head to die down so I can start drinking it is an excercise in patience, but at least I have all this pretty lace it leaves behind to look at. Has a coarse, piney, citric sort of hop aroma with a hint of raisiny esters underneath. Loads of grapefruit and pine flavour goes toe to toe with toasty, slightly nutty malt and dried fruit esters, with the hops winning the battle. The knockout punch is a blast of coarse, leafy bitterness in the finish. This is a palate destroyer for me, and I like it. Alcohol is just barely noticeable and doesn't contribute any heat or warmth.

It's full body and fine carbonation provide a rich and smooth mouthful. In every way, this full flavoured ale tastes as big as it promises to on the back of the bottle. When I first tried it almost two years ago it was overpowering to me, and today I can say I love it. Great beer.

mintjellie, Jun 17, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Served in a pint glass for $5.50. First pour after the tapping of the keg. Dry hopped with citra.

A: The head filled all but the bottom inch of the glass. After slowly rising and a subsequent pour to push out the remaining head, the beer is served with two fingers of an airy and creamy light cream head. The retention is excellent and the sea foam style lace is immaculate so far. The body is a murky tawny color and completely impenetrable by light. Brown with orange tints.

S: The nose is incredible. The citra dry hopping completely transforms the Arrogant Bastard into a much hoppier brew. By far the most citrus oriented hop bill I've ever had in an American Strong Ale.

T: Literally bursting with citrus and tropical aromas and flavors. Mango, overly ripe peach, clementine, bitter orange pith and white grapefruit. Hops are heavy, bready malts are medium in intensity. The yeast flavors are big too, doughy and earthy with a touch of must.

M: The mouthfeel is slightly lacking which may or may not have something to do with the massive amount of head that is commonplace for the first pour from a keg. Seemingly soft carbonation (almost cask-like) and very smooth on the tongue. Medium-heavy bitterness throughout with a fairly dry finish. Slightly thin body. If the body and carbonation were beefed up, the mouthfeel would score well. Instead, the rating drops to a 2.5.

D: Very good. This is a vast improvement on a pretty good beer to begin with. Mouthfeel aside, I was extremely impressed with this version of Arrogant Bastard.

FeDUBBELFIST, Jun 16, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -5.8%

the first taste is wow this is really a strong "this is the way beer is supposed to taste" euphoria..then briefly "oh wait, railroad tie in the summer sun"..then quickly "ew, it may get sweet - NO the bitter killed that completely"...now just after it goes down the bitter is finishing back into that original wonderful "way beer's supposed to taste" lingering...ok, i'm ready for another swig right now! toward the end of the pint tho, i've had enough cuz it accumulates more bitter as you go...but just as well, because by then you are appreciating the substantial kick and the great ride that this bottle has taken you on.

rattleweed, Jun 15, 2010
3.33/5  rDev -20.1%

Pours a deep ruby red with a perfect, creamy head that sticks around. Nearly transparent with just a slight haze, glimmers sweet and mellow.

smell is big on bready malts, hop aromas permeate through and mesh together.

This is not for the faint of heart. extremely big beer here, and quite filling. Heavy malts and pungent hops. Nearly too strong for me, I must admit.

nearly full bodied, had a very chewy quality to me like a barley wine or something. moderate carbonation, with palate wrecking qualities.

As I poured a 2nd glass from my 22oz bomber I realized I really was not worthy of this brew, and I feared I wouldn't be able to finish it. but alas I prevailed, and it left with me with the best buzz i've ever gotten from a single bomber which leaves me suspicious of the abv, it seemed much stronger than %7.2 because it kicked my ass. 22oz was plenty for me.

wolfinthemirror, Jun 15, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Version I had was citra dry hopped.

A - Mostly clear amber brown with a one finger tan head that has good retention and good lacing.

S - Big roasted, caramel malts up front followed by pine resin hops, then grapefruit in the background.

T - Follows the nose with the citra hops adding grapefruit notes and bitterness through the finish.

M - Medium to full bodied, medium carbonation, creamy and smooth across the palate, slightly sticky through the finish.

D - Just what the AB needed, IMO. The citra dry hopping is done nicely to just a touch of complexity at the end palate to both aroma and taste. Excellent drink.

garuda, Jun 13, 2010
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.