Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Yetiman420

4.55/5  rDev +9.1%

One finger big foamy head with large bubbles.

Sweet, mouth-watering aroma. I'm not a huge fan of maltiness and sweetness but this smells very, very good.

First couple of sips right in line with aroma. Upfront malt sweetness with a roasty flavor finish. I don't recall enjoying a sweet, malty beer as much as this one.

Delicious creamy mouthfeel.

02-15-2009 16:39:52 | More by Yetiman420
tlinner

4.83/5  rDev +15.8%

One of the best. Like any truly exceptional IPA, Arrogant Bastard uses it's hops as a keystone, not a monument. The bitter flavor is bold, but there's also citrus, malt and some spiciness. This is the IPA upon which I judge all others. Plus, the diatribe on the back label is absolutely hilarious.

02-15-2009 00:59:24 | More by tlinner
cktison

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Dark red, nice off-white head, little lacing throughout entire session.
S: Dry hoppy, citrus, grapefruit and rosemary.
T: Very balanced, hoppy ale. Dried fruits and malts come through, but the hops keep it sharp and citrusy. Very nice, very complex.
M: Really fantastic for this style. Nice and creamy, great carbonation, really fantastic.

I have enjoyed this beer both in bottle and on tap and find it a great beer. Nice sharpness and hoppiness, but still a great, creamy ale with tremendous drinkability.

02-14-2009 16:04:28 | More by cktison
darklordlager

Wisconsin

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours a dull light brown-amber with a brilliant light tan 1" head that clings to the side of the glass.

Smell is of a crisp dry hop, some citrus--some malt in there keeping things together

Taste is a SMACK to the tastebuds--the smell didn't let me know what I was in for! Huge flavour burst of orange citrus, gliding into a bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is really light and fluffy-well done.

Drinkability is great, I could definitely have another.

02-14-2009 04:06:26 | More by darklordlager
ocelot2500

Arizona

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a dark reddish brown with a big off-white head that sticks around. There is a good amount of lacing on the glass.

Smells of floral, grapefruit, and a little woodiness.

Tastes of the grapefruit, floral taste. A good amount of sweetness is thrown in there. This is not a hop bomb, but a very balanced beer with some complexities.

Mouthfeel is in the middle, not watery, but not thick either. A good amount of carbonation hits the tongue.

This is very drinkable, I wish I had picked up another bottle.

02-14-2009 03:59:45 | More by ocelot2500
HeyItsChili

China

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

A - Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Pours clear garnet with a medium, ecru, foamy head that dissipates into a viscous film.

S - A pretty good blend of bitter hops with sweet malt, nothing too extreme in either direction.

T - While the taste remains balanced in terms of bitterness-sweetness, the sweet malt takes a cherry character that I haven't found in many other brews.

M - Thinner than medium bodied, slightly viscous.

Notes - Another home run from Stone.

02-14-2009 01:59:49 | More by HeyItsChili
Nascartailgatefa

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

On tap from rattle and Hum NY. pours very dark...small off white head. strong smell of hopps and a hint of cherry. very heavy tste of malt which almost magically turns into a malty but almost coffee/chocolate taste. this would probably be the first time I ever described something as a "desert beer" Nice for what it is but one is enough as far as drinkability.

02-13-2009 23:46:02 | More by Nascartailgatefa
tigg924

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

Appearance: big head, mahoganny colored

Smell: big dose of hops, some raisin and cherry

Taste: hops, grapefruit, figs, and dried fruit..very hoppy

Mouthfeel: smooth and dry, a lot sweeter than expected, but with a huge bitter finish

Drinkability: I like this beer and could have a couple. That being said, I will reach for the oaked arrogant bastard first

02-11-2009 04:30:34 | More by tigg924
dotsonjamesg

Arkansas

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%

Served in a 16 oz frozen mug

A: Rich amber in color with a fair amount of carbonation and two finger head.

S: Smell is hoppy and sweet with notes of grapefruit and alcohol.

T: The taste is intensely hoppy but surprisingly balanced with bitter citrus notes and the taste of alcohol. Its also fairly dry.

M: Thick and wonderful with just the right amount of carbonation.

Looking at my avatar, you can obviously see I am a Stone fan. I have been drinking this fine ale for over 5 years now and it remains to be among one of my favorites. I refer to this as "The Destroyer" of beer, as it ruined my beer experience forever with weak, yellow, fizzy beer. This beer is a godsend among ales and is simply, in one word, amazing.

02-10-2009 08:13:50 | More by dotsonjamesg
xxHelderxx

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

I'm a huge fan of IPAs that disguise their alcohol content well. For this reason I love Southern Tier Unearthly and beers like Arrogant Bastard Ale.

A: A hazy, dark mahogany color poured smoothly from the bottle, resulting in a nice thick head (although not quite 2 fingers worth) with lots of lacing all the way to the end.

S: Kind of hard to identify a single element of this nose. Its got a sweet, cirtusy smell, but also has some alcohol to it. You really have to smell it for yourself, its a nice balance of sweet and toffee.

T: Dont let my little pre-amble make you think that you wouldnt recognize this as a double IPA off the bat, because you would. the hops hits pretty hard, but its also very sweet and balanced. The alcohol flavor is well hidden however.

M: Its got a little bit of that hops bite, a good a good amount of carbonation "sting" and a dry-ish aftertaste.

D: When considering this baby is a DIPA and high in alcohol content, its very drinkable. I just polished off a 22oz in short time, and I dont feel like dying or rinsing my mouth out with water. Its a great aftertaste for the DIPA lover, and I would recommend grabbing a bomber when you can.

02-10-2009 00:32:15 | More by xxHelderxx
LiquorLockerVP

Rhode Island

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Pouring this one tonight for some friends, wanted to get familiar.

Appearance:
A red hued honey amber. Very tiny bits of gas bubbling below the surface. The head was a medium packed morange of slightly, slightly, orange cream color. The head retreats to the sides of the glass, leaving some whipped looking islands.

Smell:
I want to say a mix of toffee and pineapple. When I get my snout further into the glass, and go beyond the exploratory sniff, the citrus notes slide away to reveal the hot pins of alcohol. It is a pleasant transformation of aromas.

Taste:
Sweet, not really what I expected but very enjoyable. The grapefruit/pineapple is definetly there, with less malt than I had thought. The toffee nose is misleading. I expected a fatter a malt assault, but didn't get too much. After the sweetness, the tide of bitters came washing in to scourge the palate. It conveyed an overall refreshing taste, as opposed to the big belly weigh down I thought it would be.

Moutful:
Mild amount of carbonation, feels like more because of the hops. Has a nice sharp moutful and a good clean up. The sweet comes in, fizzes a bit, then is broomed up by bitters. The hops do linger a bit on the tongue though after a good scrubbing.

Drinkability:
Really nice, not the belly bomb I thought it would be. I could see it being a great food beer, but also would be a good "on the deck after mowing the lawn" beverage. Bottom line, it is alot less mouth fatty and more refreshing than I expected. Even better as it gets to room temperature, and burns off some of its tightness.

02-07-2009 20:54:06 | More by LiquorLockerVP
TheFightfan1

3.73/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Poured a cloudy deep amber color with an off white heading. Smell is very malty immediatly followed with caramel and orange???.Very little lacing. A good deal of malts and a dry hop taste with a ridiculous bitter aftertaste. Very sticky on the lips. A great beer for tasting but probably not for a heavy session.

02-07-2009 04:01:18 | More by TheFightfan1
mcarroll10177

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

This is an excellent strong ale.

A- amber red with big off white head

S- sweet fruit then huge alcohol

T- much sweeter than I expected with a nice burn in the back with a carmel like finish

M balanced but a good amount of carbination in this beer

D- a strong ale that is an easy drinker ( for the style anyway)

My favorite stone beer so far

02-04-2009 16:09:35 | More by mcarroll10177
KBoudreau66

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle..."You're not worthy"

And by the way this brew pours I seriously may not be worthy. It has a deep mahogany/ amber color with a small tan head that will leave a lot of lacing down the glass. Beautiful looking beer. It's almost a shame to have to drink it.

Smells of smokey/toasted malts, floral hops and a nice sweet, fruit aroma in the undertone. Slight alcohol aroma in the background.

Tastes of toasted caramel malts, hops, a pleasant sweet flavor, and a little bit of alcohol phenols in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied but borderlines full bodied. Rich, smooth, slightly carbonated and just all around excellent.

This is the first offering I had from Stone brewery and I have never turned back. This beer is well balanced, rich, complex. It has all of the qualities one would look for in an excellent beer. Easily a world class brew in my opinion.

02-04-2009 15:37:06 | More by KBoudreau66
HeroJH

Colorado

3.2/5  rDev -23.3%

I like the smell much more than the taste of this one. I see that Stone is going for Arrogant bitterness on this one, and that's fine to me. Personally, I like a little more complexity. I can see liking this beer, and I'd order it on tap depending on what else I saw but I don't think I'd buy it to take home. Though maybe I'd try it again because I seem to remember it having more flavor the other times I've tried it... hmm. It has a threat on the bottle that says if you don't like it, this beer wasn't made for you. Which is neat. But I feel that more people would grade this higher just to fit in. Taking an honest look at that flavor this beer shouldn't get an A in the taste category, especially when comparing it to others that have full complex amazing flavor.

A - Copper Red, hazy at first when it was too cold and then cleared up. Tan head, good foam, lacing and retention. I like it.

S - Really nice, seems to be a few things going on there. Nuts, peanut brittle!, dark caramel. Nice hops throughout.

T - Here's where it went downhill for me. I wish that it tasted as good as it smelled and looked. It's so bitter that if I didn't let it warm it up and really concentrated I wasn't getting anything else. But there is at the end some toastyness, a hint of oaky. And I supposed the bitterness could contain some pineapple acidity. But overall, the complexity is nothing near the smell, which is usual, but there was a big difference to me on this one. It was mostly just bitter without even hop flavor.

M - just bitter.

D - too bitter without anything else to keep my interest. Trust me I like bitter, but I like a little more fullness in the hop profile if it's going to try to blow me away.

02-02-2009 17:19:51 | More by HeroJH
GimmeAles

4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

Iridescent mahogany slips into the snifter with a healthy beige head which leave some great lace.

The nose is a big hit of evergreen resins, citrus, orange candy, and a whiff of toffee sweetness.

Flavor delivers massive hop bitterness up front, which hits with juicy grapefruit, orange pith and aspirin. Toffee-like crystal malts jump into the fray giving some sweetness and dark rye chewiness. However, the hops quickly shove themselves back into the dance and lay down a final slap of macerated pine needles which lingers.

Moderately viscous in the mouth, but the bitterness dries this out nicely. Quaffable except for the fact that it's over 7 percent abv.

A classic - an icon, and still a solid, well-conditioned hit of hoppy goodness.

02-02-2009 00:03:53 | More by GimmeAles
liquidnoise

3.33/5  rDev -20.1%

Considering Stone's IPA is currently my favorite brew, I wouldn't call myself a fizzy yellow beer drinker.

That said, what the hell is with this beer? Drinking this beer was like drinking a bunch of hops that were thrown in a juicer and this is what came out.

This definately wasn't my cup of tea. It's so strong it's going to kick you on your ass like the arrogant bastard it is, so do you want to spend your hard earned money on something that will behave in such ways? (especially when Stone is brewing stuff like Stone IPA)

Worth a try to laugh at the audacity. Pick up a bottle of Stone's IPA while your at it so after you spit this out, you have some backup.

02-01-2009 03:10:48 | More by liquidnoise
Brewnami

4.38/5  rDev +5%

No sense in going over what this beer looks like as 1,600 people already have. If you're not familiar with Stone Brewery, familiarize yourself as I have yet to dislike or think any of their brews are less than awesome. This particular beer tastes like a darker, heavier version of their amazing IPA. Almost like a brown ale meets an IPA. Pretty high alcohol content, which I really like. 7.2% that is masked very well with an amazing hoppy and malty flavor. Also a very affordable beer- I paid $4.99 for a 22oz. at Bauer's on Newbury St. in Boston. Recommended for fans of IPA's, Brown Ales, anyone with hair on their chest, etc.
Buy one.

01-31-2009 01:24:28 | More by Brewnami
erikm25

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

A: Pours a dark caramel with mahogany and amber hues. Some really nice crimson highlights throughout. The head is tightly bubbled leaving a fluffy and creamy top. Retention is very strong. Lacing sticks to the glass like a shadow.

S: Bread stuffed with caramel and cherry candied fruits. There are some hints of hops and lemon citrus (the former which is to be expected with Stone). Rounded out with sweet flowers and honey syrup. The nose is a good prelude to the complexity of the taste.

T: Lots of stuff happening here. Massive malt sweetness that is rounded out with an earthy oakness. Dash of vanilla, citrus, and spice. Can't forget the dripping amounts pine hops. Toffee dipped in pineapple juice. Breaded and licoriced. Personally, I love the bitter finish. Alcohol is above 7% so depending on how you are drinking this it can sneak up fast.

M: Medium to full bodied. This was sticking all over my mouth with some distorting carbonation. Leaves the mouth a little numb which makes it great with some bold food.

D: While I had craft beers before AB was the one that pushed me over into the realm. I found a case today and figured it was about time I gave this one a formal review. Jammed the new 16 album Bridges to Burn and enjoyed life. This is highly recommended. If you are reading this and have not yet tried, go for it!

01-30-2009 03:51:34 | More by erikm25
brewintheLou

Missouri

4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours a deep amber with a small head that goes down and thinly covers the beer.

Smell is of caramel and a little orange peel.

Tastes of caramel and dark chocolate. Starts off with those smooth flavors and then has a nice medium hop finish. Ever so slight alcohol on the end. Mouthfeel is nice as the beer wonders its way down. Great drinkability for this beer since I think I could easily knock out a few bombers if available.

01-29-2009 23:57:44 | More by brewintheLou
Greggy

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%

A- Pours a nice deep red color with no sediment. The head is 2 fingers in height, a light tan color with great retention and leaves some great sticky lacing.

S- Big graham, caramel, honey, citrus hops, chocolate, roasted grains, great hoppy edge.

T- Big molasses, clove, honey, big piny hops, pineapple. Finish is thick with great dry hopiness backing up the massive caramel malt.

M- Thick feel, very bold mouthfeel.

D- This is an excellent beer. A bomber goes down pretty quick, but watch out for that 7.2%.

01-29-2009 01:57:00 | More by Greggy
patobandito

New Mexico

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

Ive had the oaked version may times, but I never could find just the normal old Arrogant Bastard. (I live in beer hell) Glad I finally found it.

Pours a dark caramel color with a thick foamy head that lingers. Great lacing. Smells of hops with a floral note, as well as a caramel malt. At first taste, the hops are slightly overwhelming, but the malt gradually balances it out as it warms. It has a great mouthfull, and is very drinkable if you can stand the hops.

Overall, I prefer the oaked version, but its a bit too expensive for my wallet, so this is a happy substitute. Great Beer.

01-28-2009 01:29:54 | More by patobandito
Wetpaperbag

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

A- Darker brown in color, almost like a dark dark caramel.

S- Great hoppy grapefruity smell, very well balanced smell.

T- The hop taste is good, yet very balanced with a caramel malt taste. This is just a phenomenal beer. Great standby. I remember when I was first started drinking craft beer the hop taste was very overpowering, yet now it is just right.

M- Easy feeling in the mouth, not too anything, just the right amount.

D- Very easy to drink.

01-27-2009 03:08:43 | More by Wetpaperbag
Nedjimb0sTavern

4.38/5  rDev +5%

appearance: rich red-orange, deep amber with a thick foamy head

smell: floral hop and carmel malt aroma, faint alcohol

taste: it's like a well balanced, rich, hoppy amber ale. Very pleasing to the palate.

mouthfeel: very smooth and enjoyable

drinkability: it's powerful, but it goes down very easy. I find it ironic that the bottle advertises that it's too bold or aggressive compared to macrobrews because this goes down much easier than the cheap stuff.

I was expecting something a little more powerful, something along the lines of a belgian strong ale, and this definitely surprised me. I kind of thought it was just an extra malty IPA, but about halfway through the bomber the rich and complex flavors really came through. My only regrets are that it would be pricy to drink this stuff on a regular basis :3

01-26-2009 03:35:44 | More by Nedjimb0sTavern
freeeekyyy

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

A - Dark brown. Little carbonation.

S - Mostly malt. Not much of a hop smell.

T - Some vanilla, a little banana, alot of malt, and not as much hop flavor as I remember it having from when I last had arrogant bastard. That was bottled though. I think there might be a difference.

M - Not as heavy as a stout, but moreso than almost anything else.

D - Pretty drinkable. I think I could have had another if I weren't concerned about getting drunk.

01-26-2009 02:34:09 | More by freeeekyyy
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.