Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Wetpaperbag

Washington

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

A- Darker brown in color, almost like a dark dark caramel.

S- Great hoppy grapefruity smell, very well balanced smell.

T- The hop taste is good, yet very balanced with a caramel malt taste. This is just a phenomenal beer. Great standby. I remember when I was first started drinking craft beer the hop taste was very overpowering, yet now it is just right.

M- Easy feeling in the mouth, not too anything, just the right amount.

D- Very easy to drink.

01-27-2009 03:08:43 | More by Wetpaperbag
Nedjimb0sTavern

4.38/5  rDev +5%

appearance: rich red-orange, deep amber with a thick foamy head

smell: floral hop and carmel malt aroma, faint alcohol

taste: it's like a well balanced, rich, hoppy amber ale. Very pleasing to the palate.

mouthfeel: very smooth and enjoyable

drinkability: it's powerful, but it goes down very easy. I find it ironic that the bottle advertises that it's too bold or aggressive compared to macrobrews because this goes down much easier than the cheap stuff.

I was expecting something a little more powerful, something along the lines of a belgian strong ale, and this definitely surprised me. I kind of thought it was just an extra malty IPA, but about halfway through the bomber the rich and complex flavors really came through. My only regrets are that it would be pricy to drink this stuff on a regular basis :3

01-26-2009 03:35:44 | More by Nedjimb0sTavern
freeeekyyy

Washington

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

A - Dark brown. Little carbonation.

S - Mostly malt. Not much of a hop smell.

T - Some vanilla, a little banana, alot of malt, and not as much hop flavor as I remember it having from when I last had arrogant bastard. That was bottled though. I think there might be a difference.

M - Not as heavy as a stout, but moreso than almost anything else.

D - Pretty drinkable. I think I could have had another if I weren't concerned about getting drunk.

01-26-2009 02:34:09 | More by freeeekyyy
tmoneyba

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured amber brown color with medium frothy head that mostly lasted with good lacing.

Complex hoppy aroma that last the whole brew.

Flavor is excellent with blend of hop and small malt character and good alcohol bite at finish.

Drink one or have first.

01-26-2009 00:48:40 | More by tmoneyba
hoppheadIPA

4.05/5  rDev -2.9%

Into a pint glass purs and amber hued color with a thick pillowy head that stuck around lacing the glass slightly. Smelled of roasted malt and hops. Tasted outstanding of hops and malt with and alcohol backround. This beer is very strong tasting. I loved it none the less. Mouthfeel is thick and this beer is filling. Drinkability is good but would be higher if it was less filling.

01-25-2009 22:54:52 | More by hoppheadIPA
cpn920

Pours a copper hazy color with a billowing head that dissipates quickly and falls to a thin covering. Brew leaves a decent amount of lacing.
Smell a rich malt aroma with a nice dose of hops.
Nice tasting beer with a malt sweetness that finishes with a nice bitter hop taste that lingers.
Definitely a full bodied beer with good carbonation.
I enjoyed this beer but it isn't one that I would want to have more than one in a sitting.

01-25-2009 20:46:20 | More by cpn920
Duhast500

Rhode Island

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

The color is a deep red almost a maroon color with a foamy white, brownish head.

The smell is of oats, strong and bitter, hard to place but the outgoing main aroma.

The taste is bitter, strong bitterness taste the first taste buds and throws them for a wallop. The hops in the background sit on the already busy tongue till it bring about tastes that were never expected from a beer such as this.

The real puzzle that is Arrogant Bastard is the taste. It is hard by sweet at the same time. Hard going down but sweet till the last drop. Just the experience a good micro fan must have.

01-24-2009 07:39:11 | More by Duhast500
Pedro07

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

Haven't had this one for a long time, so I picked up a cheap bottle at the local.

A- Pours a nice deep, rusty amber hue, producing a 1+ finger light tan/white head. Falls, but gives nice lacing.

S- I get some modest hops here. I can tell this one will be flavorfull. While the smell is lighter, I get the full range, oily-hops oders, a lot of earthiness and pine-notes, even a little citrus.

T- Oooh yes, I get hops. A nice surprise I did not remember is how balanced this guy is. I can get some sweet malt on the initial taste. It's very balanced. With the taste, I don't get any citrus in the hop. Rather, there is grassiness, earthiness, and some pine. A nice change from a floral, citrus bombs I've had lately.

M- This guy is good. It has a little weightiness on the palate which is nice. Plenty of carbonation to boot.

D- This is where this guy shines. Full flavor, great mini-session beer. Feel free to pull a couple back and enjoy.

This beer is a great value. I just thought I'd re-state the obvious. A bomber costs me $4.99, for that price that's almost two pints at home, compared to one (or less) at a bar.

01-24-2009 02:55:30 | More by Pedro07
cvfish

Louisiana

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

A - Poured a dark reddish brown that produced a sulte tan head that retained well and left good lace around the glass

S - Hops and malts are bold, with some light fruits and brown sugar

T - Hoppy upfront, some malty backbone, sweet brown sugar and gingerbread

M - Smooth, medium bodied, mildly carbonated

D - Very good beer, my introduction to Stone, and this is something I can't wait to enjoy during Saints games, happy or sad

01-23-2009 18:22:58 | More by cvfish
APNumber3

3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

22 oz bottle purchased at Whole Foods in Palm Beach Gardens, FL.

Glassware: .5 liter mug

Appearance: Pours amber/bronze. 1 finger head is off white in color, creamy in consistency. Decent lacing left on glass.

Aroma: Hints of vanilla and citrus.

Taste: Hop bitterness starting out, hints of grapefruit. Bitterness is balanced out by some sweet maltiness. I taste vanilla and gingerbread flavors in the malts. Then, more hops, bitter like black licorice.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth, yet kinda dry.

Drinkability: Very hoppy, but balanced. A very good beer.

Overall: This stuff is really good. Not something I would drink every night. But for a cool winter's evening (if there can be such a thing in S. Florida) you could do alot worse that putting away a bomber of Arrogant Bastard.

01-22-2009 21:24:58 | More by APNumber3
madtowndmb1

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

I just had this on tap at Old Chicago. I've had it before but I was very happy to find this on tap tonight so I thought I'd review it!

A: It poured a very deep red or mohagany.

S: Lots of malty sweetness, and a bit of hops with something sweet

T: I quickly figured out the sweetness I couldn't pinpoint. It seemed to me to be some vanilla. I read some others and nobody else seemed to get this. But I did, also, there was a touch of hops, and of course malty goodness. Not nealry the hops I had expected.

M: Smooth as silk!

D: I could drink a bunch of these but the price held me back which is fine with me. Very good!

01-22-2009 02:37:33 | More by madtowndmb1
caminiti

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

An excellent beer at a great price, can usually pick up a bomber for under $5 even at grocery stores.
Pours a dark copper all over my state issued laptop. seriously. my Dell is now going to smell like ale, and I will have explaining to do, fortunately none got on the keyboard, mostly the power cord...Back to topic, dark copper with large head, partly due to the fact that it is warmer than it should be. Smells hoppy, yummy, and a bit nutty, and taste is as named, bitter, but not as bitter as advertised. A bit creamy and full bodied, heavy carbonation. A must.

01-22-2009 01:42:24 | More by caminiti
jettjon

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

FINALLY available in the Florida Panhandle, on tap at Hopjacks. Into a pint glass. Hazy bronze pour beneath a one-finger head that fades slowly leaving a solid cap and heavy, clinging lace all the way down. Great looking brew. Nose dominated by grapefruit-citrus hops with some malt sweetness. Balances out a bit as it warms. No real alcohol scent. In the mouth, this one is all about the citrus hops, with pink grapefruit barely balanced against a malt backbone. Oddly tasty sugary-bitter finish, finally with hints of the 7.2% ABV. Mouth is semi-viscous with low yet present carbonation keeping things smooth yet crisp. Drinkability is very good; it's great tasting but obviously packs a punch. I could probably only manage a couple of these.

Overall: I was quite pleased with my first experience with Arrogant Bastard Ale. Is it a bit over hyped? Probably, but it's a solid brew nonetheless and definitely a new favorite.

01-21-2009 00:44:09 | More by jettjon
twbrewer

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

A-This Arrogant Bastard poured a dark red color with a 1" light brown thick and sticky head.

S-The smells of heavy oily hops with a hint of booze,hit my nose about a foot away from my face.

T-Taste was a nice hoppy front with some roasted malts in the background but then the hops overtake all in a good way.

M-It had a almost creamy feel at first with a dry hoppy finish that leaves you craving more.

D-This was my first offering from Stone and I'm not let down at all.This is not for the weak,if you don't enjoy a hoppy/bitter beer leave it for me!

01-20-2009 02:14:37 | More by twbrewer
bum732

Lesotho

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a dark ruby red with a great fluffy head. Insane amount of lacing is just coating the entire rim of the glass. Smells of sweet apricot malt, caramel, fruity/floral hops. Tastes of caramel malt sweetness, some tropical fruits followed by a huge earthy bitterness. Finishes pretty sweet, a nice carbonation throughout.

Wow, a very strong beer that hits you across the face. Unbelievable hops with a nice caramel malt profile for balance. Just a great beer.

01-19-2009 03:41:35 | More by bum732
Rayek

Colorado

4.13/5  rDev -1%

I finally picked up a bomber of this so I could find out just what I'd been missing.

A: Deep mahogany with nice clarity and fairly active carbonation from small bubbles. Big and tight cream head has excellent retention and leaves a heavy lace.

S: Heavy on the citrus with grapefruit and lemon. As the nose lingers, the aromas of molasses and dark fruits sneak through.

T: Citrus hops dominate out of the gate. Grapefruit and lemon aromas carry through to the flavor. Malt comes on with a thick layer of molasses and burnt oak. Finishes tart and dry. Alcohol adds a touch of warmth going down.

M: The silky smooth medium body is plagued by a bit too much carbonation.

D: I really liked this. It grew on me as I drank it. Not a beer to hurry through. Doing that would cut short the complexities that emerge over the whole experience.

01-18-2009 18:22:26 | More by Rayek
CampusCrew

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%

Finally got the chance to try it and I want not dissappointed. One of the best extreme in the world.

appearance: deep dark brown, loaded head and creamy froth. Was beautiful

smell: large hint of hops, and nutty smell

taste: rich and slight nutty roasted flavors, good balance of flavors but not overwhelming as I expected.

mouthfeel: good carbonation and very tasty

drinkability: quality and the name is prefect.

01-18-2009 15:21:15 | More by CampusCrew
farrago

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Glowing reddish color, strong cloudiness, pours a huge inch plus head that takes its sweet time dissolving, very lacey, residue sticks to the glass insides. Bitter hoppy and grainy nose, develops a semi-sweet character without a true source, golden raisins, pine tar, texturally feels like it slowly coils and uncoils in your nostrils. Dry and packs a wallop entering the mouth, bitters, orange peel, roasted grains, verges on grassy at moments. Raisins, cherry pits, peach fuzz, the fruit is there but sneaky. It's undeniably complex and feels like it would taste different bottle to bottle. Not a beer you can drink while out gossiping with the girls.

01-18-2009 00:28:41 | More by farrago
Clydesdale

District of Columbia

4.38/5  rDev +5%

A: A dark, translucent brownish-red color with a fairly large, frothy and creamy light tan head with good retention and lacing.

S: Sharp citric and floral hops, with considerable toasted grain sweetness. Loads of fruity esters and definitely some alcohol to boot.

T: Toasty caramel malt sweetness is accompanied by big floral and orange/grapefruit hop flavors. Starts off slightly sweet and more citric, but a long, riding floral bitterness takes hold. Some faint herbal notes and again, fleeting fruitiness here and there. A rough, lingering, alcoholic bitterness rides into the aftertaste. I get a bit of coffee and grain lurking around as well.

M: Medium-full in body, with light carbonation. A creamy, smooth mouthfeel with a big drying bitter finish. An oily, resiny character is well.

D: Well, as expected, this is one aggressive beer. Obviously the hops run away with this one, but there's actually a very sturdy malt backbone, which is something that many beers like this seem to miss. This one isn't real easy to drink, but it is very enjoyable. Worthy of the hype, in my opinion.

01-16-2009 20:58:25 | More by Clydesdale
sweetbrew82

4.13/5  rDev -1%

22 oz. bottle into a snifter/no freshness date

P: Deep copper from the bottle, sits plum/ deep burgundy-tinted amber in the glass. Hard pour produced barely a 1-fingered head that is light tan in color, thick & creamy, and settled to a thin film on top. It did disappear quickly, though, but left strings of lace behind. Quite the ominous-looking ale!

A: Freshly-baked, toasted wheat bread type of malt, creamy caramel, citrusy hops, some wood, smoke, and alochol. Damn, this is definitely intriguing.

T: Flavor definitely stands up to the nose. I was afraid that the flavor wouldn't be as interesting as the aroma is, but I'm glad to see otherwise. Thick, toasted, bready malt covered in creamy caramel & a kiss of chocolate, wrapped in slightly woody smoke, backed by a citrusy hop attack full of grapefruity flavors that pretty much stay under the malts while still making their presence well-known. That beautiful flowers' flavor profile is considerably more pronounced in the dry finish along with alcohol. Nice warming effect in the chest!

M: Full-bodied, creamy & rich, viscious yet smooth. Perfectly carbonated for a subtle "bite" on the tongue.

D: Are you sure that this is only 7.2% ABV? Wow, this is kicking my ass! Don't know about anymore than 2 of these in one night.

Notes: Yet another winner from the geniuses at Stone Brewing. The signature beer in a series of brews that all possess that same bold, in-your-face type of full flavor that one has come to expect. The sheer brashness of their attitude towards brewing better beer than anyone else really shines through with this one!

01-15-2009 10:59:29 | More by sweetbrew82
fingerlaker

4.55/5  rDev +9.1%

Quite good.

First off, if you don't like bitter beers, stop reading now. Do not try it. It's quite bitter; not IPA or barleywine levels but it's there.

The pint my barkeep handed me had a big head with large bubbles. It's a deep crimson red with little sediment floating through it unlike a porter.

The smell is world-class. The hops are so floral, it was like walking through a field. I didn't notice fruit like some others did.

From the first tiny sip the Bastard will command your tastebuds. It takes control and you're just along for the ride. There are SO many flavors from this four-ingredient beer, where do I start? Big roasted notes. Raisins. Tons of bittering hops. A wee beef(!) note.

The beer turns your tongue into a mosh pit, waking up every tastebud with a M-80.

Drinkability... It can get a bit grating after a while. Arrogant Bastard is like big fat friend you have that is fun to be around because he's low brow and unpolished simpleton. He's funny at first, but after a few hours you're left with a farting, belching, swearing heap that checks out your girlfriend's breasts a little bit too much. It was similar with the Bastard, the demanding flavor got too extreme after a while, making me wish for something lighter.

In all, I enjoyed my experience with the Bastard.

P.S. I tried it in bottles and draft. It's better draft.

01-15-2009 00:58:50 | More by fingerlaker
Bootscraper

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%

I have heard so much about this infamous beer, and even had the privilege of sampling some a while back. Reminded me of a stout and IPA hybrid... I thought it was tasty enough for me to go pick one up for myself to review.
Served a hair over 50 degrees F in Pint Glass, listening to Genghis Tron's "Dead Mountain Mouth". Let's just say that my mouth is not dead after this hell of a beer.
The pour produced a full 1cm light tan creamy head. It shrank to just a very very thin (almost non-existent) layer after just a few lengthy minutes, but it stayed until the bottom of my glass. The lacing was patchy but there was a good amount of it, and a bit of it stuck around for a very long time.
The smell is mellow, but pure hops that are slightly sharp (almost pine-y). It's also pretty "warm" too, in other words, either roasted or Dark fruit scents were accompanying all those hops. There may also be some flowery characteristics of a typical ale that were trying to be known in my nose.
The taste, also, is translated simply as "hops". Now it is at the tongue , yes, they definitely are roasted. Not too much though, like, say, a stout. There may also be some semi-sweet caramel nuances in here, but if so, it just blends with the roasted/smoked flavors. It is a little alcoholic, but that is typical of a strong ale (duh), and the flavor is very consistent from sip to finish. What wins me over though, is the epic aftertaste. It doesn't matter if I already put my glass down and started writing some more notes, I am still drinking this thing. One sip, and you are tasting those hops for a good 10 minutes.
In the mouth, that flavor is made amazing by the fact that this a full-bodied beer. And hey, it's also very smooth, and a just little bit sticky. Great carbonation levels as well. Love it!
I like how personal the huge ass bottle is as far as drinkability goes, but I can see how it could be intimidating to some. Thankfully, they sell this in smaller 6 packs now.
Not much else I can say about this beer... just a very straight-forward design executed with great brilliance and attention to detail.
I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a very hoppy ale to knock them on their ass.

01-14-2009 01:11:00 | More by Bootscraper
MashMouth

Colorado

4.78/5  rDev +14.6%

I was pleasently suprised by the crispness of this beer. The ballance of this beer is exelent, one would deem this as a stong ale by first tast alone. There is not a stong alchohl flavor. The hops give this beer a crisp flavor. This is a very good beer and I see myself driking it time and time again.

01-14-2009 00:52:23 | More by MashMouth
latercol

3.88/5  rDev -7%

Poured from 22 oz bottle into a oversized wine glass. Deep, dark amber color. Outstanding Sticky lacing for the duration.(Over 1 Hour) That being said, I did not drink this brew very quickly as it was indeed quite strong. The smell was good... hops mostly. It is a fairly complex beer in taste but the hops clearly dominate here. I will have to try again to pick up on those complexities. Mouth feel was good although a bit syrupy and sticky which hurt the drinkability. One bottle was enough for the night. Overall a very good beer which I will enjoy again.

01-14-2009 00:03:03 | More by latercol
pandashaver

South Carolina

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Oct 12, 2008
Poured from a 22 oz. bomber. Dark amber brownish body with light brown / off white frothy head with excellent lacing. Interesting aroma - Citrus, earthy, caramel, toast....overall gentle on the nose...but what a surprise thereafter! Taste is predominant bitter and woody, some spice. Bitter is not in a pale ale or IPA sort of way, and much more aggressive than smooth. Palate is moderatley thick and syrupy residue that lingers a good while. Depth and complexity that leaves you guessing and wanting more...and I will definitely need more in order to put my finger on it.

01-13-2009 20:21:55 | More by pandashaver
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.