Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a reddish-hued brown with a nice head and plenty of lacing. The aroma starts out with plenty of bitter, resinous hops as well as some toasted malt and accompanying sweetness. Good caramel scent, which follows through into the flavor with a bit of toffee. Some floral hops alongside the bitter piney hops. Medium-bodied and well carbonated; very drinkable.

Thorpe429, Jan 17, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

From a 750 into an imperial pint glass. There were a few ounces left in the bottle that I'll finish off after the first glass.

A very dark reddish-amber with an inch of dense, off-white head that stuck around the glass and for a while. It's a great color - I think they should sell it at paint stores as "Arrogant Bastard Amber."

Tangy grapefruit, lime and lemon with floral notes. Very open and clear flavors with some malt behind - nothing more than barley and toffee.

Like the nose suggests, grapefruit starts this beer off. It moves quickly from the citrus into pine & other saps into bitters. Clean malts balance the beer.

Easy to drink, medium-light mouthfeel. The slightly high alcohol is well hidden. Great beer, and would pair well with many foods.

BillyBoysPie, Jan 17, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

01.11.10 at Monk's Kettle in San Francisco.

A: dark copper goodness

S: heavily malted hop

T: It's got bite! The only way to describe it

M: feels nice and smooth, balancing the agressive flavor

D: I can drink lots of these -- and I have!

I just plain love this beer. It's been a favorite for almost a decade. Yum, yum, yum, keep 'em coming.

Chambic, Jan 15, 2010
2.4/5  rDev -42.3%

Quite an original looking label; it's nice to see something different. This beer poors a nice copper color, with a good white head that fades away pretty quick. Looks appealing.
The smell is nothing remarkable; moderate hop aroma in no way prepares you for what is coming.
Intense, hot, overpowering hop flavor. Very sharp, very bitter. As it warms this mellows just enough that I can get a taste of the malt behind the hops. Definetly needs to go with a big rare steak.
Definetly for the dedicated hop lovers only. From the arrogance on the label I was expecting a beer with big full malt and hop flavors, but all I got was the hops. I didn't really like this beer, but that does not mean it isn't any good. If you like to chew on mouthsfull of hops, this brew is for you.

honeybrewer, Jan 15, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

I had this beer from a 24oz bottle. The first time I had it, it was a LOT of beer in one bottle. It was heavy and bitter! I was not worthy just like the back of the bottle says. After going back to it knowing what to expect I loved it. It also prompted me to make my own american strong ale.

colefsuwr, Jan 14, 2010

A- Pours a red/brown like the color of iced tea. One finger head dies down quick. Lacing is good.

S- Dare I say pineapple? Some grapefruit, but I really smell pineapple. Alcohol!

T- Just like my nose; my taste buds pick out a slight pineapple taste with hints of grapefruit. There is a slight malt presence also. You can also taste the alcohol.

M- Medium body, smooth, bold, balanced well with the malt.

D- Very drinkable as long as you respect it. In other words a good sipping beer. Beer swillers beware of this one.

sitarist, Jan 14, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

There have been many a time in my life that I myself have been called an arrogant bastard. If I had even half the bite this beer has, when people assigned these characteristics to me, I am shocked that they would still be talking to me.

I underestimated the flavor from first smell, but it quickly grabbed me by the shins and shook the money from my pockets. It was delicious and there was no question that I was drinking a beer.

Delicious and I cannot wait for a second encounter... and then a third... and so on...!

chenzo9999, Jan 12, 2010
3.08/5  rDev -26%

The music venue I work at has this on tap all the time so Ive had my fair share in order to review appropriately.

Stone brewers may be alot of things but liars they are not. It says on the bottle "You probably wont like this" and for the most part there right. Everyone I know hates this beer but I beg to differ. Despite its slightly acrid overtones and overbearing amount of hops I find it has a specific character and mood to it and as a beer serves its overall purpose.

The color is slightly reddish and it pours a lighter head that sticks around surprisingly long. The beer is often chilled a little too much where I get it but at the right temperature (maybe out of a bottle) the tastes ring true and if you can get past the aftertaste its really not as terrible as one might think.

JustinJTisdale, Jan 10, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

Aug 5, 2007

22oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a dark reddish brown with a nice 1 finger light tan head that dissipates to a light covering, but retains to the bottom of the glass. Excellent lacing.

Aroma is okay...something about it is a little off for me though.

Flavor is nice with grapefruit, piney hops. Somewhat sweet, moreso as it warms. Little bit of alcohol kick, but not too bad.

Smooth, full mouthfeel without too much carbonation.

A strong beer, it certainly gets your attention...

elgiacomo, Jan 10, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -10.3%

Gonna make this sort and sweet. Sort of like my last experience whit the BASTID

Sniffer gets hop, decomposing leaves on the forest floor, booze, malt

Nice hop bite. Leaves with a charred sugar caramel sting.

Good carbonation for an ale of this type. Fluidity is good. Cuold be the state of my mouth but by the end of the bottle I had a pooling of Bastard essence on the back pf the palate.

Goes down easy. I'd like this with some sweet BBQ like dripping ribs. So dripping I call them REE-YIBZ. I could also kill about 4 bombers of this and pass out very happy.

countrocula, Jan 08, 2010

deep red beer with slight head that hangs and laces nicely.

hugely aromatic. loads of hops and slightly toasted caramelly malt. big and slightly hot esters gain intensity as beer warms.

this is thick, almost oily on the palate with serious hop intensity. lots of resiny citrus, like burnt grapefruit marmalade.. leaves the palate reeling.

i like that there are beers in the world which go so far. the size of the beer makes it exhausting to drink, but despite that, the maltiness really holds the beer together. style this in a 5% version and I'd drink a lot more of it.

beerbutcher, Jan 05, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

A- Poured into my Deschutes tulip glass. Color is a very very dark copper color with a off white head that is around two fingers. Lacing is fairly sticky. Cool bubbles floating on top.

S- Smell is fairly sweet with some tart dark fruit. You can definitely tell this is gonna be more malty then anything. Plums and cherries are strong on the nose.

T- Taste comes out strong on the malt but is balanced very nicely by the bitter hops. The nose comes on slightly which is nice on the palate. The sweet with the malt with the bitter hops makes this quite a tasty brew.

M- Feels fairly smooth and goes down easy. No alcohol burn to speak of.

D- I could easily have this frequently and this is not difficult given that this drink can be obtained in many places all year round. Definitely a beer I would go to if I had no dedicated beer store near by.

boogyman, Jan 04, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

22 oz bottle

I poured into a pint glass to a generous tan head. I is a deep copper color. The first thing I notice is the hops, both in smell and flavor. I have only had one other ASA and this is nothing like the Dragon's milk. This is just pretty much hops dominated.

Cheers!

buschbeer, Jan 03, 2010
2.6/5  rDev -37.5%

This is a beer I used to drink regularly, then one day I found myself bored with it and haven't had one in at least two years. This style doesn't have a lot of clear definitions, and versions vary greatly. Let's see what's up.

Served in straight pint glass. Poured an attractive mahogany color with about a half inch of light tan head that quickly dissipated and left minimal lacing.

A mostly bitter hop aroma wafts through the olfactory area, with just a touch of malt in the background. The flavors are the mix of sweet and bitter, with that harsh metallic taste I remember still dominant.

The body is decent, solid and not heavy. Drinkability is not good, this beer is just not very enjoyable. This beer is very popular so my opinion is going to be the minority, but I won't be seeking this beer out again for a while.

beertunes, Jan 03, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

pours a deep mahogany amber with a nice creamy head that dissipates to a foam that laces the glass with nearly every sip.

nose is nice but not huge, nicely hoppy but not intimidating. hints of malt and caramel.

taste is great, citrus hops up front that finishes with toasty, caramel maltiness. almost a hint of bread or yeast in the very back.

feels clean in the mouth, average carbonation for the style, bitterness lingers but not intrusive.

very drinkable. i wouldnt want to have more than 2 bombers in a night, but its always a possibility for purchase.

guyforget, Jan 02, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

What's not to like about this beer?! I purchased the 22 oz bomber at the Navy Club in Seoul and poured it into a wine glass. Nice dark copper coloring and wonderful lacing. Gave me a rich head of about 1/2 inch that took it sweet time disapating. Not quite as bitter as the Ruination so much more likely to be a session beer, however, when you have 22 oz servings at 7.2 ABV I guess one will do you just fine. About half way through I paired this with a Opus Opus X cigar and felt like I had died and gone to heaven. Cheers.

jhtipton, Jan 01, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Had this for the first time over xmas vacation. What a brew!

Bomber poured into a pilsner glass.

I'm fairly new to craft beer, so this was quite an experience on xmas day. The Bastard definitely has a bitter kick and it reminded me of what my tongue went through the first time I had a bitter SA Boston Ale. My taste buds really went wild searching for the different ingredients.I really noticed the caramel notes and the alcohol was covered quite well. It was a beer I grew to love as I sipped.

Other reviews can provide more depth on this ale, but I decided I should start writing reviews at some point. What better place than with this beer!

digitalketchup, Dec 31, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -13.5%

My only negative comment on this beer is regarding the hops. I enjoy beer with a strong hop taste and finish, however this one is overpowering, to the point that most of the other flavors are lost.

The color, head, carbonation are all good, however drinkability is low because of the extreme bitterness.

smtp4me, Dec 30, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours clear with a gorgeous ruby red color and topped with a thick creamy, off white head. The aroma is big and bold scents of citrus hops with hints of malty sweetness. The flavor mirrors the aroma with big generous helpings of citrus hop bitterness balanced well with sweet malt background. The body is light, crisp, and carbonated with moderate levels of fizz. The finish is a gentle fading of the citrus flavors and leaves with just a hint of warming alcohol.

manahansf, Dec 30, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

Presentation: Awesome, witty painted brown pop top bomber, no best-by date to be seen; this is one of the coolest packaging schemes I've ever seen, however

Appearance: Really attractive dark walnut beer with good clarity; a big, creamy light tan head crowns this beer, and shows good retention.

Smell: Definitely a hop-forward aroma, but the aromas are different than those I'm readily-familiar with. This is very fruity, a bit sharp and herbaceous as well, with a hint of alcohol and just a touch of dry toffee.

Taste: Nice blend of malt and hops...the hops are herbal, just a bit sharp, and show medium-high bitterness. This is juicy and a bit fruity as well. There is some surprisingly sweet, juicy caramel here as well as a ghost of toastiness on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-heavy

Drinkability: Pretty high

Conclusion: This is my first ever Stone beer; thanks so much to Tolann for hooking me up! This is not the earth-moving, life-changing experience I expected, but it was pretty tasty and interesting nonetheless. It was actually a fairly balanced ale between the malt and the hops; the hop flavors/aromas were unfamiliar to me (I was expecting citrus or pine aromas, or something earthy or woodsy, this didn't really show a lot of any of those aromas/flavors), however, and I would have liked a bit more in the way of malt presence from an ASA.

BedetheVenerable, Dec 29, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I only came into possession of this bottle a week ago and didn't notice the "Enjoy by 12/28/09" until just now.

A- Pours a nice deep mahogany red with a tan two finger head.

S- Mostly pine and some floral/mildy citrus hop aromas. Also some caramel malt is discernible.

T-Pine and hints of ctrus hoop bitterness are at the forefront with a barely there caramel malt backbone along with just a bit of alcohol.

M-It's at the low end of medium boied with low carbonation.

D-It's pretty easy drinking, although I finished the bomber pretty quickly and felt myself becoming a little tipsy. The alcohol is well hidden though. I've had this before and wasn't sure of the freshness then, but I haven't been impressed by this one on either occassion(it feels as though something's missing). I would love to have the chance to have a super fresh AB some time to see if it's much different.

samie85, Dec 29, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -11.5%

A: Burnt amber beer with a frothy two finger cappuccino colored head and excellent lacing.

S: Nutty malts come through and more hops than expected.

T: Roasted nuts and chocolate, strong hops in the end. Presence of alcohol is definitely there. The amount of hops was definitely more than I was expecting.

M: Full bodied and low carbonation. Finish is incredibly long and dry.

D: A good beer, but not very drinkable for my tastes. The finish just hangs around too long to have more than a couple.

jiggahertz, Dec 29, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Apearance - Pours a hazy deep reddish brown with a one finger white head that leaves some impressive lacing.

Nose- Spicy/earthy citrus and pine hops with caramel malt and brown sugar.

Palate- Much like the smell, but the malt makes more of a statement and seems darker than the smell, even hinting at burnt sugar. Don't be be fooled though, the hops are the stars. Dark fruits are definitely present, most notably are dates and raisins. Slight alcohol warmth.

Mouthfeel- Medium to full body with carbonation coming in just over medium. Both bring a lot to this beer making it very smooth.

Drinkability- Easily sessionable.

wknight167, Dec 28, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from bomber into tulip pint glass. Funny text on the bottle.

A: dark amber color, clear. Thick, pillowy, slightly sticky head. Lots of lacing.

S: Clean, clear hops,hint of malt sweetness.

T: Sweet malt rolls across the tongue followed by dry hoppy finish.

M: Fizzy, crisp, dry.

D: Very drinkable. The dry finish keeps you ready for the next sip.

ebraun, Dec 27, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

22 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada Imperial Pint. 7.2% ABV, Enjoy by 12/16/09 (oops).

Thanks to Sweemzander for hooking me up with this legendary bitc...er Bastard.

A - A moderate pour unleashes an astounding dense two-finger cream/tan head. Brilliant retention and thick collars of lace connected by wispy webs. The color is a beautiful clear red amber. Perfect looking!

S - The malty nose has a lightly toasted caramel sweetness to the background with a prominent spruce needle hop aroma up front. Good earthy floral notes too. No alcohol is present in the nose.

T - Despite it's old age, this bastard still packs a punch. The hops are forward and deliver a floral and pine punch to the tongue. Low malt that's toasty and caramel-like in nature follows. A dry, bitter finish is left.

M - Medium-bodied and mildly carbonated, the beer is left smooth with an unrelenting dry, bitter finish.

D - The alcohol is well hidden behind the malty, hoppy joy of this beer. And it's still good despite the enjoy by date. I'd love to have a fresh bottle!

BeerFMAndy, Dec 24, 2009
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.