Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a nice dark reddish brown with a off white head
Smell: Distinct smell of hops right off the bat, some subtle grains
Taste: Just what a Ale should taste like. A nice caramel sweetness, finishing with a nice hop bitterness
One of the best I have ever had a highly recommend

rwrk42, Apr 04, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

It has a nice slow pour, with a candy/ruby/brown coloring to the body. The off white head had some good lacing but nothing to write home about. OK smell, I never have liked grapefruit it should not be consumed by any human. Health nuts eat it all the time, what's up with that?? I get the eating things that don't taste like anything, but eating grapefruit is just nuts. The only way I was able to eat a grapefruit was with a whole sh*% lode of sugar to drown out the grapefruit, till I couldn't taste it anymore (I will never consume it again). It is in my opinion that grapefruit is one step away from being a poison to mankind. With all this said...
WOW who knew?? The smell of the bitter grapefruit coming off this beer made me skeptical, but then I had to taste it. There has never been a place for the grapefruit taste till now. The taste of the grapefruit and spice was very pleasing. Good mouthfeel with the spice and once it goes down a good finish spicy kick hits your taste buds. I really enjoyed this tasting, what a wakeup call for the mouth.

FallinDeck, Apr 03, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +5.5%

This was one of the first BIG beers I ever had (about 8 years ago) and I wasn't a fan. Since then, my tastes have evoloved and I figured it was time to give it another try.

Pours from the bomber to a pint glass with dark red amber color and good clarity. The head is thick with good retention and the lace sticks to the sides.

Aroma is full of earthy citrus hops. There is also a certain pilsner quality to it. Maybe they used pilsner malt.

Flavor is excellent and there's lots going on. The malts seem like that of an uber red ale with just enough roasty toasted malt. The hops impart a spicy bitterness. It all works together beautifully and the balance is great.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and not far from creamy. The low level of carbonation certainly helps here. It doesn't even need to be served very cold. Drinkability is also quite good for the style.

This is one beer that deserved a second chance.

GilGarp, Apr 03, 2009

A--Very dark amber/red that was pretty much crystal clear. Standard pour yielded two fingers of off-white head. Tons of lace. Very nice looking beer.

S--Smell is mostly citrus hops with a pine backbone. Some apple skin and pears also.

T--I let it warm up a bit because otherwise I was expecting nothing but cold bitterness and instead I just got a lot of warm bitterness. The hops are fairly well balanced, usually with this level of bitterness I get a much more piney taste but this beer is actually relatively mellow. Maybe thats because I had a Ruination the other day and this is like childs play compared to that beer. I'm not a huge hophead yet but I like the taste of this quite a bit.

M--Medium bodied and very oily. Level of carbonation is about perfect.

D--Like this bottle says, this is not for the weak palate. If you are just getting into craft beer I'm not sure that this would be something good to jump into, but any hop lover would adore this I am sure. Great beer. I personally would not want more than a pint in one sitting, and I'm not sure how I'm going to finish this bomber.

alcstradamus, Apr 02, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

Came with a respectable tan head that retained well leaving perfect rings of lacing around the glass with each sip. Dark amber-brown body.
Smelled and tasted the same: like hops. Very fruity and citrusy hops. A caramel malt sweetness bobbed its head up and down every so often like a man tossed overboard into a sea of hops. Finish had more hop bitterness.
Not a bad one if you're in the mood for a hop bomb, but way out of balance. I can tell that the malts would be flavorful if not completely overpowered by the hops.
Still I enjoyed it.

Hoagie1973, Apr 01, 2009
4.97/5  rDev +19.2%

Man, I love the Arrogant One. Been drinking it for a long time, but haven't felt inspired to review until tonight.

A: Deep copper, somewhat dark but clear. Nice lacing, little head.

Smell: Wonderfully hoppy, hints of cantelope, honeydew, and oranges. I could huff this all night and be happy (though I think I'll drink it too).

Taste: Again, gotta stick with the melon theme in the flavor as well as the aroma. Couldn't put my finger on the taste until tonight, but I think it's best compared to honeydew melons. Perhaps the most delicious and well-balanced hoppy brew you will find in an American Beer (though Bigfoot could be my preference on another evening). The malty sweetness is there, but all I taste is sweet delicious melons.

M: Dry at first, but goes down smooth and sticky. Aromatic hoppy bitterness lingers, but in a lucsious, viscous way that isn't overbearing (despite the "Arrogant" self-proclamation). If overbearing is what you're looking for in a hop experience, go for Stone's Ruination--that's what it's made for!

D: One in a Billion in terms of drinkability. Every sip is a feast for the palate, and every sip is better than the last. I don't know of any other beer that I would say this for, even among my other favorites.

Am I Worthy? I don't really know, but God Damn, this is one of the best beers I've ever tasted. Nasdrovia!

markskar, Apr 01, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance
Looks syrupy pouring out; tan brown with a thick dollop of foam

Smell
Awesome. Bursts out of the glass with strong citric hops; really inviting; a bit berry

Taste & Mouthfeel
A big hoppy bastard of a beer! loads of hops through and through that are just barely held back by some caramel sweetness; hoppy aftertaste lingers on and on in my mouth; some berry hints creep in later; goes down easily with no alcohol burn; medium-to-full body with a slick, oily texture

Overall
This is a big and assertive beer that lives up to its name and hype.

JEdmund, Mar 29, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Bottle 22oz .A deep dark amber color with a big thick off white head that leaves tuns of lacing as it slowly diminishes,some light carbonation. Aroma is piny,citrusy,and earthy,with some notes of the sweet malt waiting to be tasted. Flavors of caramel malts,toffee,pine,cherries,smoke ,hints of maybe burbon or oaky vanilla, very deep and complex like and old ale. A medium to full body,velvety mouthfeel, hoppy aftertaste and burps, a little sticky around the lips (something to lick off later), damn this is good shit ! and yes I would drink this all night long or at least untill the 3rd or 4th time I fell down eh.

WakeandBake, Mar 29, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

This beer is awesome! I haven't had a Bastard Ale for quite a while. I hit a bottle in the fridge for the last 2 months and it was finally time to open it paired with a steak.
Very well balanced ale, great hopfeeling delicious mouthfeel. Leaves nice head when pouring from bottle, lacing down, etc. ...
Are you worthy? Try it!

Schwab, Mar 28, 2009

12 oz bottle into a Sam Adams Sensory glass

The dark amber Bastard poured a creamy, rocky 2 finger head that left a nice sticky coat of lacing. The head settled into a solid foam cap.
Big piney citrus smell with hints of earth in the background. Very aromatic.
Strong piney hops ride the malt backbone throughout. Beautifully hoppy. Spicy pine finish keeps me coming back for more and more.
Nice carbonation and solid mouthfeel makes it easy to down a bomber of this. Undoubtedly my favorite beer so far...

abar22, Mar 28, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

Oh yes, being waiting a long time for this one...I prepare myself for a challenge...

What a challenge! Wow, It was hard for me to imagine a beer like this. Immensely challenging beer a first. This one really fall into the "extreme beer " category.ry. Like few others did before this one.

anyway. A dam good beer. Tremendously challenging and way far to complex for me to be able to pull out every aspect of this beer. At first, you'll find it very unbalanced. and at the end, you'll find it very... unbalanced! Toffee and caramel smell will come up at first but flooded with floral hops, malt, molases, even nuts and earth. Bitter chocolate (I'm i dreaming or what).

First bomber will be hard to drink, but once you'll get used to it, you'll come back, fore sure. Many Tasteful beer will taste... ordinary after trying this one! I think I'm worthy now!!!

blaje, Mar 28, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a darker amber color with a thick tannish head. Good lacing all the way down the glass. Great citrus grapefruit hop smell. There is a very slight toasted malt flavor that is quickly overpowered by the extreme grapefruit hop flavor. This is pure grapefruit juice. The bitterness lingers long after the finish.

Kromes, Mar 27, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -12.5%

A - Dark Brown with reddish hues. Poured into a tulip glass from a 22oz bomber. Very nice head that lingers in the glass.

S - Malty with sweet tones. Lightly hopped with citrus and pine smells present.

T - There is a lot going on with this brew. The malt hits first and then a pine/citrus tone as an aftertaste. It's an interesting beer and definitely well crafted, but not to the point where would put it on my top 10 list.

M - Rich and Satisfying. The ABV is not to noticeable and agreeable aftertaste.

D - To me this is a one and done beer as least when presented in the bottle. I remember a somewhat different experience when I had it on Draft at Mad Mex in State College PA. I would like to try it again on tap and then revise this review if the experience is different.

jeffsala, Mar 26, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours very clear dark ruby/brown colour large off-white head. Smell - hops, citrusy notes, some fruitiness (pear-like). Nice, inoffencive, pleasant aroma. Taste - starts off with hoppy bitterness which goes all the way through, followed by warming alcohol, some grapefruit, pine. It's really bitter al the way through, with slightly spicy finish. Very interesting and very different. Mouthfeel -aggressive, i'd even say purposley unbalanced. Creamy, a bit sticky. Drinkable for ABV.

Voonder, Mar 26, 2009

Let me just start by saying that this has become the gold standard by which I judge all other beers. While that should suffice, I have to hit my 250 character minimum so I'll make this nice and easy.

Appearance - Excellent. Dark amber waterfall from heaven.

Smell - Excellent, I wish I could request this scent at the car wash.

Taste - Excellent. This is what Adam drank in the Garden of Eden.

Mouthfeel - Excellently thick, rich and bitter. Not for "sniveling yellow-beer-drinkin' wimps" (Directly from the label).

Drinkability - Excellent, but truth be told. I could probably only handle two of these...

I have yet to experience a finer brew than this.

teejay76, Mar 26, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured this into my favorite duvel tulip from a 22 oz. bomber. I'm not worthy? You're on, bitch!

A - A beautiful dark amber with a small yet fluffy and strong head. Holy cow, that's a lot of lacing.

S - Wet dog comes and slaps me in the face, but persistent sniffing yields toffee, caramel, and bitter cocoa. It's also got that malty sweet aroma i detected in HopSlam that's reminiscent of pink amoxicillin liquid. Yum.

T - A strong hoppy kick yielding medium bitterness when cold and a very malty sweetness as it gets warmer. Lots of complexity here: nuts, grain, hoppy resin, raisins, molasses...damn, it's like the beer's challenging me to find the flavors. Gets even better as it warms, giving off a yummy brown sugar taste.

M - Smooth with a medium-light body. Low carbonation, fels appropriate for this beer; definitely not 'fizzy yellow'. It's also fairly warming.

D - I don't get any alcohol burn, so it's really drinkable, the bitterness the only thing holding it back. I certainly finished the entire bomber by myself...which might have been a mistake.

Overall - Ha! I beat you, you snide, grinning gargoyle! I totally proved that I AM worthy of this vicious brew; the only drawback is that I'm having a slightly tougher time typing right now. But don't tell the goblin dude; I'm not about to show weakness in front of him!

Oh, and the beer's awesome.

DannyS, Mar 25, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured this 22 oz. bomber into a nice mug.

The beer pours a rich mahogany color. It provides a little amount of light to go through. The beer poured a nice 2 finger mocha, brown colored head that stayed with most of the brew.

The smell wasn't overly strong. I received a mix of dry fruit, some brown sugar, and a slight amounts of toffee.

The taste was top notch. It started out with an intense alcohol flavor that moved over into a more mellow sweetness and malt.

The mouth feel was excellent. I really like the smooth texture and light carbonation. It let me really move this around the mouth to experience the wonderful, vast amount of flavors.

The drinkability is definitely there. Wih an ABV of 7.2%, it can really knock you on your butt, but the mellowness of flavor helps to keep them going down right.

Final Thoughts - I love Stone Brewing Company and this was my first introduction to them a while back. Between the complex flavor and smooth drinkability, this ale solidifies it as my number one American Strong Ale. You have to pick up a 22 oz. bomber of this to truly appreciate American Craft brewing. Highly recommended!

bsend, Mar 23, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

picked this beer up in Buffalo, put it in a mug.

A- a deep, caramel brown, a nice head, about an inch and a half, that disappears to a thin layer. The lacing is unreal.

S - smells of hops, and i smell a bit of alcohol.

T - Strong hoppy flavor at the beginning, then smooths out a little. The beer finished with a heavy, slap-in-the-face bitterness, as well as a strong alcohol flavor. That alcohol really stays on my tongue and cheeks.

M- thinner than average body, as well as carbonation, I don't mind it.

D - This beer is drinkable, although if you made it through two of these, you'd probably want to get in a fight.

The 7.2% feels and tastes more like 10. I didn't like it when I first tried it, but it grew on me. It's better when it warms up a bit, I liked the beer closer to the end of the glass.

beerbuddah, Mar 21, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

22oz. bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Half inch or so of off-white foam that sticks around for a bit. Deep, dark amber color...when held up to the light, almost a dark ruby - quite beautiful.

Aroma: The piney quality of the hops dominate. Slight malty, almost syrupy sweetness.

Taste: Piney hop bitterness. Slight citrus qualities and a very faint smokiness as well. A great bitter, spicy finish. Hides the ABV well.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, refreshing carbonation.

Notes: Very refreshing and drinkable for an ale of this strength and character. Very complex. An amazing beer.

tim9887, Mar 21, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +17%

The best way to explain this beer is to say that it punches you in the face after you drink it. The hoppy bite in the aftertaste is strong and I really enjoyed the long lasting taste this beer left in my mouth.

The appearance was dark brown and maintained a foamy head on top.

You could smell the perfect blend of malt and taste the bitterness of the hops on the finish. When first drinking this beer you start off with a kind of creamy thickness and end with a bitterness you would expect in a strong beer. You can also taste the alcohol in the after taste.

I would recommend drinking this beer with red meat. Actually I would recommend drinking this beer period. This beer was great and is the beer to beat in this class.

cmaloy, Mar 17, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -2.9%

A - Great dark brown color with a nice head, good retention, and great lacing.

S - Nice hops up front, and a great malt balancing smell. Very good.

T - Hops really hit you at first, but the malts come back to really balance this beer.

M - Great feel, could have a litttle more body though, but still very good.

D - Very drinkable if you like hops, if not, then probably not so much.

Had this on on tap after already trying the oaked arrogant bastard. This is not as good as the oaked, but still a very good beer, just not as much complexity in this one.

cottonkoozie, Mar 16, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Picked up a 22oz bomber of this bad boy. Very familiar with this brew just hadn't reviewed it yet.

Poured a rich mahogany color into the glass with a beautiful creamy 2 finger head.

Immediate smell was pines with a citrus grapefruit aroma. Very light caramel hoppy aroma also.

Tasted of grapefruit with a nice citrus kick that I loved. Finishes strong with a big hoppy bite :D has a good malt backbone to support the hop bitternes. picked up pineapple and orange peel also.. quite tasty.

Mouthfeel was surprisingly smooth with little carbonation that leaves a strong hop finish, but I'm a hop head and don't mind it one bit :D Love that aftertaste of a nice hoppy beer.

As far as drinkablility, I drink a bomber of this stuff at least 3 times a week. Right before bedtime. I enjoy this brew from the great Stone Brewing Co.

If you haven't tried this brew, go out and sip it :D

Cheers!

aval89, Mar 16, 2009
2.4/5  rDev -42.4%

I waited a long time to try this beer, and it was not worth the wait. The appearance is amazing, with a deep amber burgundy color. The taste is overwhelming hop from the outset. The aftertaste is almost like sucking a grapefruit. There is no complexity. It is all hops. Not worth it, even for a hop lover.

delmarnate, Mar 16, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

Appearance- dark brown yet still transparent and see through, nice tan to white foam head with decent retention, light to no bubbles in carbonation

Smell- Alcohol, malts, barley, and plenty of hops, also a smooth caramel tone, a certain nice molasseses sweetness mixed with hop bitter smell

Taste- Lots going on here in this one, up front get some malts, creamy full bodied, lots of hops over ride the finish with a touch of alcohol so slightly, really interesting taste on this one reminds me in some ways of the flavor in a lot of barley wines, Strong bitter hops ride the finish of the beer, very long lasting tasty after taste

Mouthfeel- full bodied yet still light and almost has a bit of a nice creamy smoothness to if, very smooth beer going down,

Drinkability- very tasty beer thats complex and has so much flavor its seeming with flavor, really good beer worth visiting many time and maybe getting different experience or thoughts each time, paired great with my burger and fries very tasty very complex hoppy beer, I like this one alot for sure, a real beer bottom line, alcohol at 7.2 makes this pack a well hidden wallop, very tasty beer to drink

Stunner97, Mar 15, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -1%

22 oz. bottle

This is my first beer review, so I'm not really sure of the protocol on how these typically go, but I felt compelled to write one after having this hell of a brew. First off, I love the way this beer is pitched. It doesn't challenge you, it just disregards you.

The appearance is a nice dark brown with an off-white head that laces nicely.

The smell is underwhelming, although not displeasing.

Mouth feel is good, pleasantly viscous but not too thick. Goes down smooth.

Taste is bipolar. Starts off with a nice malt and changes quickly to a sharp bitter. Very nice balance though.

Overall great beer. I think I could drink a maximum of two bottles in one night, but am perfectly content with one.

jburns4, Mar 15, 2009
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.