Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.7/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a dark red amber color with a nice thick, healthy head.
nice roasted malt aroma and sweet caramel, with a great citrus hop tone, reminded me of a very bitter grapefruit.
the grapefruit citrus flavor carries on to the taste, with a lingering malty aftertaste, with a nice hoppy kick. very nice dry finish, great beer, hope to get my hands on some more.

3.46/5  rDev -16.8%

1 Pint bottle ( or whatever imaginary measure America conjured up in its wild past) poured into a rocks glass. Before anyone screams blasphemy I'm in a hotel, it's the best I could do.

A: Copper red colour, looks really promising. Good layer of foam, disappeared pretty quick, but the colour is enchanting.

S: Hops, Hops, Hops.

T: Starts off nicely with an average sort of ale taste, then come the hops. Aggressive, mean hops. Hordes and hordes of hops, assaulting my mouth, sending signals to my brains to GET THIS DOWN OR OUT! NOW! I gulped it down slowly, it gets tough halfway, but finishes better

M: Heavy, like a dying star. Sip, don't gulp.

O: Well I drank this mean motherfucker, and didn't regret it. Good as an aperitif. More of a feature than a headliner. If you want
something bitter, I would personally choose Southern Tier's IPA or 2XIPA, but definitely try it if you see it.

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

This was my first beer ever from Stone Brewing. It was on tap at a local sports bar... and I loved it. Great taste, great appearance... it is what a good ale should be!

My next trip to BevMo and I saw some of their other beers, I knew I was in for a treat. A tasty treat! Bravo Stone Brewing!

3.24/5  rDev -22.1%

This beer has thrown me for a loop. I tried it because of a TV show. I liked the name and the brewing company seemed like they were aiming for perfection which for an american ale I think they are damn close. The Bottle reads as follows:

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you’re mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!

A - absolutely beautiful deep red and brown look

S - I rate all beers a 3 because I have no sense of smell

T - HOPS...lots of HOPS

M - Warming feeling in pit of stomach. You want more though, then you begin to gulp. Flow of the beer runs deep into the depths of you.

O - I think they are on to something here

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Poured from a bomber into my Iron Horse mug

A Pours a deep amber almost copper color with a 2 finger off white head that has great retention.

S I get notes of hoppy pine and citrus right up front with a hint of malty caramel on the back.

T Strong citrus hop notes balanced out with caramel and alcohol notes. Nothing subtle here.

M Kind of thick with good carbonation.

Overall there is a reason this one is a standard. It is a powerful tasting beer that is pretty much a hop bomb. There is a reason this one is one of my favorites.

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%

Served straight from a 22 oz brown bomber bottle because I didn't feel like washing a glass. Lemme cut to the chase and skip the formalities, everyone else already said what the stuff looked like. This is a BIG, flavorful ale that revels in its aggressive complex nature. This ain't a beer that you pair with a ceasar salad. Think venison chops with bleu cheese crumbles on top, or beef stroganoff. It reminds me of the Ginger beer sodas that the fancy pop companies make. Overall a very good beer if you like big flavor, which I do.

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%

Bottled opened on 7-7-11
22oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours a dark amber with deep, dark ruby red fingers. There is a huge tan head that also has some unique red tint. Strong retention and some patches of lacing left on the glass.

S - Malts, barley, wheat, and hoppiness.

T - A wild mixture of hops, barley, malts. Unique to me.

D - Full body and nice carbonation.

O - Not sure why I have always passed this one up, but I am glad I finally gave it a try.

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

Presentation - A 22oz bomber into a snifter glass.

A - Pours a nice amber/dark red color with a 2 finger off white head.

S - Smells strong of hops, spiciness, and alcohol. Citrus notes also come through all the hop power.

T - The front has a strong, bitter, citrus hoppiness that tickles the senses and warms the soul. The back is caramel malt flavors with a nice alcohol finish.

M - Full bodied with mild carbonation. Your mouth will explode from the powerful hop flavor.

Overall this is a really good beer. Great hop character and a great name. It fits me very well. (nose in the air)

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

The beer that started it all! (for me anyhow)

Shuffled on down to the new stone store in south park today and picked myself up a growler of some good 'ole AB. I've been drinking this beer for 10+ years, so time for a quick review!

A: pours a deep clear copper red with a copious off white head that lingers and lingers.

S: A perfect mixture of malt sweetness with piny and citrusy hops.

T: malt, hops, bitterness, caramel, citrus. Yum.

M: Good and solid. Not thin or dry, but not too thick or sticky either. Juuust right.

O: A true classic in the craft world, and deservingly so. Am I worthy? I don't know, but I like it!

3.03/5  rDev -27.2%

picked this up at my local bottle shop after all of the beer friends at the latest event said it was a must try i had to go out and snatch one of these so grabbed a bomber of it

poured decent real clear had an ok head on it, dark red in color

the aroma was a bit off it had a weird shoe leather thing going on what is up with that? maybe it was a bit old but i did not get much hops at all but i definitely could smell some alochol in there

taste was not that good i had high hopes for this beer but got let down so strange i really liked the levitation beer but this one had no balance too much alcohol in it and no real balance

mouthfeel was ok but you were burned in the end, just an average beer with an above average price

i would like to try more stone beers but for me this beer was just overhyped or at least not what it was made out to be i will go have a levitation beer instead

3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from a bomber into BJ's Brewery 2011 Father's Day special pint glass...

A - Pours mahogany with a one finger tan head on a fairly aggressive pour. There is a good amount of head retention to be had and a little slippery lace...

S - Citrus fruits, caramel, and hops. Smells a little burnt...

T - Grapefruit and various other citrus fruits. Caramel makes a small appearance, but citrus fruits and hops are definitely the main attraction here. Ends with a good dose of bittering hops and some lingering grapefruit...

M - Medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. Creamy and smooth...

O - A solid brew, but not something that is in my constant rotation. Double bastard is an overall better brew in my opinion, but the price is definitely right for this one...

Cheers...

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured a rich coppery brown...with a dense two finger long lasting head on a midly aggresive pour. Moderate lacing. Good mouthfeel, with a bitter bite on the back of the tounge that is lasting. I like the beer far more than i was expecting and would enjoy drinking this beer at any time.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

Appearance - a very nice dark amber color with a oat colored head.

Smell - you certainly get an aggressive hop smell that really comes across very well.

Taste - hops, hops, hops certainly dominate the flavor but you really get a good sense of a strong ale. It really lingers in the tongue. Not one to guzzle, but certainly one to enjoy.

Mouthfeel - I certinaly would say that this is a beer that weighs on the tongue. The carbonation and bitterness really attack the mouth.

Overall - I think this is the flagship beer that really communicates what stone is all about, bold flavors. It really gives a nice hoppy ale.

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

Dark woody brown with a modest creamy head.

Caramel and toasted malts, floral and fruity hop aromas. Fantastic, I was just smelling it for a while.

Sweet, caramel and toasty malts give way to aggressive hop bitterness, not something to underestimate. A bit grainy and dry with the finish. Medium mouthfeel, and a little sticky.

Arrogance is bliss…heavy malt and hop flavors along with a decent ABV makes for a solid brew, personally leaving little to be desired.

3.95/5  rDev -5%

Poured into an Arrogant Bastard pint glass, of course.

Pours a very nice reddish brown with a slight off-white head that hangs around for awhile and leaves a good deal of lacing.

Smell is a lot of hops. A very slight burnt coffee-esque note in the background, but hops power this brew.

Taste is a lot of the same. Big, strong flavor like you get in every Stone brew. Big hop presence, with a little woody touch to it. Very, very bold.

Very full mouthfeel. Some notable carbonation. Seems pretty fitting.

Overall, definitely a good brew. Would serve as a good introduction to Stone and how big their beers can be.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

First had: bottle as a gift

Really hard to get all the way through when I first tried this hefty beer years ago. But it gets easier once you know what to expect. Its greatness can't be denied. Pours a dark reddish-brown with a small off-white head that retains well and generally leaves a bit of clingy lace. Lots of strong hops in the aroma, rough around the edges, with notes of toasted grains and malts, and hints of dark fruits. Taste is complex; strong with pine hops, woody, bitter, biting, with toasted caramel malts, and notes of resin, raisins, tobacco, molasses, and coffee. Alcohol presence is noticeable. Medium bodied but full of flavor, can be a bit harsh to drink for beginners, but is a wondrous quaff for the experienced palate.

3.8/5  rDev -8.7%

This is their signiature beer and one that just kicks you where it hurts. Yes, this is an angry beer. Bitter to the bone.

A: Dark in color, amber to black or somewhere in betwen.
S: Burnt coffee, too much present. I'd order it again, but the last few sips are just too much sometimes.
T: Alcohol is present. Caramel, strong coffee.
M: Very rich in flavor, and thick.
O: I love Stone. This is one I like to have from time to time.

2.41/5  rDev -42.1%

On-tap at the Holy Grail Pub in Plano.
I'm much looking forward to this.

A - A medium to dark brown color. Some head, but not much retention. Good.

S - Very hoppy. Honestly, all I could smell was a strong pine scent that is enhanced after taking a sip. Like a cheap car air-freshener.

T - Strong. Again, hops and an unpleasant piney aftertaste that lingers far too long. Not much balance here, unfortunately.

M - Quite a bit of hop aggressiveness. Some carbonation gives the hops more bite. The feel does improve as the beer warms and loses the carbonation, however.

Summary - I've been wanting to try this brew for a while. I had heard great things about it, and it's extremely popular, but I was left disappointed. It is far too strong in the hop department. I learned that Arrogant Bastard Ale is not my style.
Note: I drank this at the same place as the 90 min Dogfish Head, with the same fish and chips. Not even close to the same experience.

4.01/5  rDev -3.6%

Had on tap at Cock and Bull. Served in it's appropriate arrogant bastard pint glass.

A- dark hardwood floor brown that gradually becomes lighter further down the glass. Brilliant english pith helment brown head tops this beer that is gushing lace onto the glass.

S- a malty fruitiness of plums and faded cherries grace the nose along with some dank hops, typical of a stone beer. Good but not great.

T- strange, a suggestion of bourbon followed quickly by a layer of caramel and bread and ending with a blast of alchohol. Suprising amount of woody flavor for a non barrel beer.

M- nicely carbonated and a very light to a moderate medium feel for a strong ale. Really it is perfect.

O- stone must have invented this style because this beer is what I imagine the style should be. Taste could be more developed and the aroma could be stronger, but I'm reviewing in a bar so... Seek this beer out!

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Dark amber looking, reddish with a light head. Good lacing. Head retains well.

S: Caramel, flowery hop smell. Smells sweet.

T: Hops on the forefront. Good hop aftertaste. Tiny hint of chocolate. Floral hops. Aggressive yet stayed balanced enough to enjoy. A little sweet too.
M: Smooth and drinkable, I thought it was a nice medium body, everything reacts and bubbles on tongue.

O: Very awesome beer. I love it and will drink again.

3.95/5  rDev -5%

Draft pour at Grotto Beer and Wine Bar in DeLand, Florida.

Pours a burnt amber with a moderate head and retention. Light lacing.

Aromas of piquant hops, bitter citrus, orange peel, coriander, singed toast, and dry spices.

Big hoppy bite in the front with immediate notes of toast and grapefruit rind. Finishes smooth with some residual hop dryness. Distinct blueberry and blood orange back-note.

4.32/5  rDev +3.8%

Had on tap at Rattle N Hum in New York City. Served in a tulip. Review from notes.

Never had this on tap before, so I'm excited to see how this is when its as fresh as you can get it.

Look: red body with a thin layer of creamy, white lacing with good retention and lacing.

Smell: holy Chinook hops. Light caramel and dark fruit, but mostly the aggressive aromas of Chinook; grapefruit and resin.

Taste: follows the nose with a fairly harsh hop attack; citrus and pine beating my tastebuds down. Caramel, bread, and brown sugar are there too but too weak to balance anything out.

Feel: medium bodied, moderate carbonation, alcohol hidden. Not something you'd wanna session; it overwhelms my palate so it isn't something I would get a second glass of.

Overall: the difference between the bottle and the tap of this is extraordinary. While the label on the bottle seems to be hyperbole, it accurately describes the tap version. Cheers!

4.36/5  rDev +4.8%

Wow...that is all I could say after my first sip. I must say Arrogant Bastard is a "one-of-a-kind" beer. If you can't handle a strong beer...look away.
You can smell it from a table away, and it looks awesome. Power is all I can say with taste, I really enjoy how potent it is. It isn't my all-time favorite strong beer...but it fights for the top. My friends think I'm crazy when I bring out the ole Arrogant Bastard at dinner.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured into a tulip glass from a 22oz bomber.
A. Dark caramel, dark with red tinting on the bottom from the light. Nice lacing too.

S.Strong caramel aroma. floral scents. Hints of dark fruit.

T. Hops hit you in the face when you take a sip. Bitter as hell. Burnt chocolate.

M. Full bodied.

O. It is a strong beer, and one that kicks you the more you drink it. Had it with dessert. Really good with a cigar.

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured 22 oz bomber into 13 oz tulip. Pours a clear ruby red. Fluffy off white, sticky head. Lacing is bountiful. Smell is some pine, bready, & a touch of carmel. Taste similar, but more intense with a smack of piny hops in the finish. The mouth feel is hearty for it's easy drinkability with plenty of life. This was one of my first true craft beer experiences a little more then a year ago. Still awesome, especially this fresh best buy 8/30/11. Stone is great.

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.