1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +5%

Had this at a Stone beer dinner at the Old Village Post House with Southeast Stone Rep. Scott Sheridan. The chef paired this with Pan-Seared Local Grouper over a Charleston Okra Gumbo. The gumbo didn't stand up to the beer. I would've liked a little more spice in the gumbo but overall a brave and beautiful pairing by the chef. Awesome dinner - if you ever have the opportunity to go to a dinner or tasting with a Stone beer rep DO IT - truly a great beer experience - very nice/easy going/like family atmosphere with great stories, cheers, and presentation.

Appearance: Dark Amber/Brown

Smell: Pure Hoppiness...

Taste: Perfection - hoppy bitter - sweet finish - hop malt with definite hoppiness up front.

Mouthfeel: Fullbodied with nice tannins.

Drinkability: Session or sipper... you choice - whatever you can handle. Beautiful beer.

LauraAlberts, Apr 15, 2009

Ruby red, lots of fluffy tan lace, sweet surgery lace all over my glass.

Smells like hops, big surprise right?, taste like hops too... But good ones, a nice combo of west coast fruity/citrus hops.

Nice thick mouth, lots of residual sweetness.

Not sure I would buy again, but I would recommend it to anyone who loves hops.

Fatduck, Apr 14, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +13.2%

A = Pours very dark copper brown. Small 1+ head that dies quick. Some light lacing throughout.

S = Aroma is not very noticeable, some light malt and hop hints. Nothing too distinguishable.

T = Very, very tasty. A luscious caramel/brown sugar malt sweetness jumps out in the start. A very strong grapefruit hop bitterness more than balances the taste through the end. A sincerely robust flavor experience here. Too much of either would be detrimental, but the arrogance of the front and back flavors balance out perfectly. You bastard!

M = Medium to thick, with very noticeable oily thickness. Just coats everything, letting you know who is boss here. Subtle carbonation.

D = Somehow drinkable despite the audacity of its flavors and mouthfeel. The 7.20% is well hidden.

Just a great, complex, balanced and robust brew and it will be a staple henceforth. I can't wait to grab double bastard and compare.

JonMich13, Apr 13, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into a 20 oz beer mug fairly cold.
Wonderful 2 inch head ,. Color ruby brown and very clear.
Smell is malty, I was expecting more hops, maybe its a little old?
Taste is bitter up front then a roasted malty wonderment, very complex, woody sweet.
Warming up, there is a hint of floral hops, but the blessed bitterness just cleans shop.
I hope I am worthy!
Top shelf stuff!

mudbug, Apr 12, 2009

My first ever try of the Bastard. Wow.

A - A dark, brownish/red. Much darker than I thought it would be.

S - Some citrus, but just a hint. Not overpowering. Bit of a grainy/bread smell.

T - Excellent balance of the hops and malts. Probably one of the best balances I've found so far. Slight hint of grapefruit. Again, like the taste, grains and breads. Very hearty.

M - Smooth, carbonation is just right.

D - Easy. Very easy. And at 7%+, I'll need to be careful with this one.

Overall, an excellent ale. I'll be coming back to this one.

jamesdr1968, Apr 11, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -1%

Purchased from Woodmans in Kenosha, WI.

A: Poured a deep amber with a one-inch, fluffy, white head. A few nice bubbles of carbonation, and more lacing than I had expected.

S: Not what I was expecting. A few hints of piney hops, but mostly sweet, sweet malt. Some hints of graham crackers.

T: Initial sweet malt character that gives way to a wonderful bitterness. I felt like I got lost between all of the malt characters and hop bitterness. Hints of oranges, grapefruit, even a trace of plum quality that gives way to some pine and a touch of earthiness. It's almost like my palatte didn't know what to make of it. Delicious.

D: I'm still in awe of this beers balanced characteristics and exceptional flavors. Followed with a SN Torpedo, and didn't notice any hop character in the Torpedo. Would love to have this on a more regular basis.

Birchgrove77, Apr 08, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a bomber into an Imperial pint glass..Pours a wonderful deep copper. Lots of lacing and a great 3 finger head. The aroma of this bastard was mainly piney, grapefruity, and even a little sweetness. It tastes very sweet upfront, a mixture of different malts with that uniique stone yeast strain. It then turns into a complex mix of hops and malts, which isn't too bitter, just right. The back end is very nicely accompanied by various hops flavors and bitterness.

hophead247, Apr 08, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

My Pops just got back from Cali and brought me a good bundle of brew, A.B. being one of them.

A- This is a beautiful dark ale. Head pours big and fades, from where the liquid beer starts and the top of the head ends, from dark, burnt brown, to light white. Lots of small, bubbly, lace on the surface.

S- Complex- has the maltiness of a dark ale, and the hop presence of an IPA.

T- Smooth, creamy, sweet. Well balanced with flavors. No single flavor is over dominant. The flavors dance across my toungue with the elegance of the Russian ballet, but reality sets in and I realize that the dancers are 400lb sumo wrestlers. Metaphor= Sweet, innocent, beginning; hostile, deceitful (heavey) finish. Leaves kind of a bitter, unpleasant, aftertaste.

D- Heavy but, yes, drinkable.

Notes: This is a very tasty beer. I like it very much so. MMM

dankbrew21, Apr 08, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

A - Pours a coppery red with a white finger height of sticky head. Laces the glass on the way down.
S - Alcohol and hops all over the place. Bits of bread and fruit in there also.
T - This is where it shines. Very smooth alcohol spice mixes well with the bite of the hops. The caramel malt blends and balances everything together.
M - Smooth and slightly sticky. Good body, semi thick.
D - This is easy to put back which could be dangerous in that 7% tier.

Oddly enough, this is the beer that got me into IPA's. I fell in love with hops through this beer.

youngblood, Apr 07, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A=Deep dark amber with cream colored head with medium sized bubbles, 2 fingers of foam that sticks around

S=very balanced with carmel hints of malt sweetness and bitter pine notes of hops

T=taste followed smell very closely, initial caramel sweetness, followed immediately with the hoppiness and pine notes. Finishes with hint of malts, very balanced flavors

M=Oily with fine textured carbonation

D=Not terribly filing & alcohol isn't over the top.

jacobseyb, Apr 06, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +5%

A: brown with a copper hue. Clear. Thick head with noticeable lacing.

S: Malt scented alcohol with some aromatic hops.

T: A deep maltiness that slowly develops into a nice toasty flavor. Alcohol is noticeable, but is not overpowering, and adds another dimension to the flavor profile.

M: Medium body with some bitterness. There is a certain creaminess to this beer.

D: This is a very fine beer and one I could drink over and over. While it is a strong beer, the alcohol is well balanced, and it is by no means a heavy or filing beer. I look forward to having another one of these soon.

Florida9, Apr 05, 2009
3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into my standard US Troeg's pint glass, modest head and some residual lacing. A very pretty clear ruby beer, very nice.

Smell is much more subdued than I expected - very well balanced with hops and a definite malt sweetness. Not the hop bomb aroma I was braced for.

Taste follows smell but is extremely well balanced, which I again did not anticipate. Very nice.

Mouthfeel is ok but if there is place to complain on this brew, this would be it. Just does not finish as clean as I would have preferred.

Dangerously drinkable.

All in all, a great beer and well deserving of the hype and it's reputation. I will be back for this one again and again.

OldYoda, Apr 04, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a nice dark reddish brown with a off white head
Smell: Distinct smell of hops right off the bat, some subtle grains
Taste: Just what a Ale should taste like. A nice caramel sweetness, finishing with a nice hop bitterness
One of the best I have ever had a highly recommend

rwrk42, Apr 04, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

It has a nice slow pour, with a candy/ruby/brown coloring to the body. The off white head had some good lacing but nothing to write home about. OK smell, I never have liked grapefruit it should not be consumed by any human. Health nuts eat it all the time, what's up with that?? I get the eating things that don't taste like anything, but eating grapefruit is just nuts. The only way I was able to eat a grapefruit was with a whole sh*% lode of sugar to drown out the grapefruit, till I couldn't taste it anymore (I will never consume it again). It is in my opinion that grapefruit is one step away from being a poison to mankind. With all this said...
WOW who knew?? The smell of the bitter grapefruit coming off this beer made me skeptical, but then I had to taste it. There has never been a place for the grapefruit taste till now. The taste of the grapefruit and spice was very pleasing. Good mouthfeel with the spice and once it goes down a good finish spicy kick hits your taste buds. I really enjoyed this tasting, what a wakeup call for the mouth.

FallinDeck, Apr 03, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was one of the first BIG beers I ever had (about 8 years ago) and I wasn't a fan. Since then, my tastes have evoloved and I figured it was time to give it another try.

Pours from the bomber to a pint glass with dark red amber color and good clarity. The head is thick with good retention and the lace sticks to the sides.

Aroma is full of earthy citrus hops. There is also a certain pilsner quality to it. Maybe they used pilsner malt.

Flavor is excellent and there's lots going on. The malts seem like that of an uber red ale with just enough roasty toasted malt. The hops impart a spicy bitterness. It all works together beautifully and the balance is great.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and not far from creamy. The low level of carbonation certainly helps here. It doesn't even need to be served very cold. Drinkability is also quite good for the style.

This is one beer that deserved a second chance.

GilGarp, Apr 03, 2009

A--Very dark amber/red that was pretty much crystal clear. Standard pour yielded two fingers of off-white head. Tons of lace. Very nice looking beer.

S--Smell is mostly citrus hops with a pine backbone. Some apple skin and pears also.

T--I let it warm up a bit because otherwise I was expecting nothing but cold bitterness and instead I just got a lot of warm bitterness. The hops are fairly well balanced, usually with this level of bitterness I get a much more piney taste but this beer is actually relatively mellow. Maybe thats because I had a Ruination the other day and this is like childs play compared to that beer. I'm not a huge hophead yet but I like the taste of this quite a bit.

M--Medium bodied and very oily. Level of carbonation is about perfect.

D--Like this bottle says, this is not for the weak palate. If you are just getting into craft beer I'm not sure that this would be something good to jump into, but any hop lover would adore this I am sure. Great beer. I personally would not want more than a pint in one sitting, and I'm not sure how I'm going to finish this bomber.

alcstradamus, Apr 02, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

Came with a respectable tan head that retained well leaving perfect rings of lacing around the glass with each sip. Dark amber-brown body.
Smelled and tasted the same: like hops. Very fruity and citrusy hops. A caramel malt sweetness bobbed its head up and down every so often like a man tossed overboard into a sea of hops. Finish had more hop bitterness.
Not a bad one if you're in the mood for a hop bomb, but way out of balance. I can tell that the malts would be flavorful if not completely overpowered by the hops.
Still I enjoyed it.

Hoagie1973, Apr 01, 2009
4.97/5  rDev +19.2%

Man, I love the Arrogant One. Been drinking it for a long time, but haven't felt inspired to review until tonight.

A: Deep copper, somewhat dark but clear. Nice lacing, little head.

Smell: Wonderfully hoppy, hints of cantelope, honeydew, and oranges. I could huff this all night and be happy (though I think I'll drink it too).

Taste: Again, gotta stick with the melon theme in the flavor as well as the aroma. Couldn't put my finger on the taste until tonight, but I think it's best compared to honeydew melons. Perhaps the most delicious and well-balanced hoppy brew you will find in an American Beer (though Bigfoot could be my preference on another evening). The malty sweetness is there, but all I taste is sweet delicious melons.

M: Dry at first, but goes down smooth and sticky. Aromatic hoppy bitterness lingers, but in a lucsious, viscous way that isn't overbearing (despite the "Arrogant" self-proclamation). If overbearing is what you're looking for in a hop experience, go for Stone's Ruination--that's what it's made for!

D: One in a Billion in terms of drinkability. Every sip is a feast for the palate, and every sip is better than the last. I don't know of any other beer that I would say this for, even among my other favorites.

Am I Worthy? I don't really know, but God Damn, this is one of the best beers I've ever tasted. Nasdrovia!

markskar, Apr 01, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance
Looks syrupy pouring out; tan brown with a thick dollop of foam

Smell
Awesome. Bursts out of the glass with strong citric hops; really inviting; a bit berry

Taste & Mouthfeel
A big hoppy bastard of a beer! loads of hops through and through that are just barely held back by some caramel sweetness; hoppy aftertaste lingers on and on in my mouth; some berry hints creep in later; goes down easily with no alcohol burn; medium-to-full body with a slick, oily texture

Overall
This is a big and assertive beer that lives up to its name and hype.

JEdmund, Mar 29, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Bottle 22oz .A deep dark amber color with a big thick off white head that leaves tuns of lacing as it slowly diminishes,some light carbonation. Aroma is piny,citrusy,and earthy,with some notes of the sweet malt waiting to be tasted. Flavors of caramel malts,toffee,pine,cherries,smoke ,hints of maybe burbon or oaky vanilla, very deep and complex like and old ale. A medium to full body,velvety mouthfeel, hoppy aftertaste and burps, a little sticky around the lips (something to lick off later), damn this is good shit ! and yes I would drink this all night long or at least untill the 3rd or 4th time I fell down eh.

WakeandBake, Mar 29, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

This beer is awesome! I haven't had a Bastard Ale for quite a while. I hit a bottle in the fridge for the last 2 months and it was finally time to open it paired with a steak.
Very well balanced ale, great hopfeeling delicious mouthfeel. Leaves nice head when pouring from bottle, lacing down, etc. ...
Are you worthy? Try it!

Schwab, Mar 28, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

12 oz bottle into a Sam Adams Sensory glass

The dark amber Bastard poured a creamy, rocky 2 finger head that left a nice sticky coat of lacing. The head settled into a solid foam cap.
Big piney citrus smell with hints of earth in the background. Very aromatic.
Strong piney hops ride the malt backbone throughout. Beautifully hoppy. Spicy pine finish keeps me coming back for more and more.
Nice carbonation and solid mouthfeel makes it easy to down a bomber of this. Undoubtedly my favorite beer so far...

abar22, Mar 28, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

Oh yes, being waiting a long time for this one...I prepare myself for a challenge...

What a challenge! Wow, It was hard for me to imagine a beer like this. Immensely challenging beer a first. This one really fall into the "extreme beer " category.ry. Like few others did before this one.

anyway. A dam good beer. Tremendously challenging and way far to complex for me to be able to pull out every aspect of this beer. At first, you'll find it very unbalanced. and at the end, you'll find it very... unbalanced! Toffee and caramel smell will come up at first but flooded with floral hops, malt, molases, even nuts and earth. Bitter chocolate (I'm i dreaming or what).

First bomber will be hard to drink, but once you'll get used to it, you'll come back, fore sure. Many Tasteful beer will taste... ordinary after trying this one! I think I'm worthy now!!!

blaje, Mar 28, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a darker amber color with a thick tannish head. Good lacing all the way down the glass. Great citrus grapefruit hop smell. There is a very slight toasted malt flavor that is quickly overpowered by the extreme grapefruit hop flavor. This is pure grapefruit juice. The bitterness lingers long after the finish.

Kromes, Mar 27, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Dark Brown with reddish hues. Poured into a tulip glass from a 22oz bomber. Very nice head that lingers in the glass.

S - Malty with sweet tones. Lightly hopped with citrus and pine smells present.

T - There is a lot going on with this brew. The malt hits first and then a pine/citrus tone as an aftertaste. It's an interesting beer and definitely well crafted, but not to the point where would put it on my top 10 list.

M - Rich and Satisfying. The ABV is not to noticeable and agreeable aftertaste.

D - To me this is a one and done beer as least when presented in the bottle. I remember a somewhat different experience when I had it on Draft at Mad Mex in State College PA. I would like to try it again on tap and then revise this review if the experience is different.

jeffsala, Mar 26, 2009
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.