Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
ericj551

Alberta (Canada)

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Arrogant bastard pours a clear deep red with a nice thick head. Taste is bitter upfront, and lastingly bitter. The hops are citrusy, piney and herbal. Behind the huge hops hides a delicious malt character, sweet dark fruits mixed with tropical fruits. This is one great beer, brutal and offensive, but in a good way. I know some may consider it not respecting beer, but I like this one out of the bottle as well as in the glass, I find I taste the delicious maltiness more.

05-15-2007 00:12:12 | More by ericj551
ndekke39

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I drank a bomber of this to celebrate passing my dissertation defense. I figured that now I've got the Ph.D., I can act like an arrogant bastard, and should therefore drink accordingly.

I've heard a lot about this beer, so I was excited to try it. I eventually drank the whole 22 oz by myself. Pours a delicious reddish-brown, nice and clear, with a thin, off-white head. Very good retention, some lacing on the pint glass. Smells and tastes of toasted malts, caramel, toffee, nuts. I thought this was a strong, chewy Brown Ale at first. Good balance with some mild hops. A bit of warming alcohol. Excellent mouthfeel for the decently thick flavors - I think this was spot-on; I've had far too many watered-down "Strong" Ales. Overall, an exceptional beer. Great body, wonderful balance of flavors, all the elements work together to make this a highly drinkable beer. I can see why so many people consider this a standard in the American craft beer repertoire.

05-12-2007 12:59:15 | More by ndekke39
alemakesmestrong

Oklahoma

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

Had this beer on my 1st night in Oregon.

In the glass from the waitress at the little jazz club, Jimmy Macks. Dark brown, but not brown ale. Just an IPA color with some malt. Looked like a winner right away.

Smelled like a winner. Nice malts, no sucker punches, american goodness. Hops were there, but nothing to cringe about.

First sip...Holy Fuck!!! This beer is worth writing home to my mother about. Arrogant Bastard has it all. Delicious malts, like caramel and honey. Delicious hops like grapefruit and earth. This thing is a beast, but not an evil arrogant beast. More in the vain of...I taste delicate and complex and I WILL MAKE YOU PLAY WU TANG on the jukebox and make an ass out of yourself. This beer jams, you should drink it!

05-12-2007 03:32:47 | More by alemakesmestrong
bosco7

4.58/5  rDev +9.8%

Dark copper with huge rocky head.

Plum, apricot, pine needles, and caramel aromas.

Complex doesn't do this beer justice. Toffee, plum, apricot, roasted malt, grapefruit, black cherry, pine, grapefruit and black pepper flavors all come to mind. Hop foward. Harsh bitterness(in a very good way).

Smooth mouthfeel with perfect carbonation. One of my all time favorites. Complex and drinkable.

05-11-2007 04:52:49 | More by bosco7
sammy44

Alabama

4.05/5  rDev -2.9%

I got this beer on a vacation to Gatlinburg. I bought two bombers and polished them off while in the mountains.

This pours a beautiful looking beer. I poured it into my travel pint glass (clear acrylic cup) to enjoy. Pours a reddish-copper with a thick sticky head that laces the glass and sticks to everything. The aroma was all hops with very little malt sweetness. Taste was at first shockingly hoppy but the malt came through as the beer had time to warm. To me the second cup from the bomber was better than the first as I allowed the beer to warm on the counter while I drank the first serving. Very heavy in the mouth and the head added some creaminess.

A bit too high in alcohol and too harsh on the front end to be very drinkable.

05-09-2007 14:26:19 | More by sammy44
MiguelMandingo

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

When I first tried this beer, I "wasn't worthy". Now that I am a little further into my beer drinking career, I think I am worthy, and I don't think I gave this beer a fair shot when I first had it. This is a complex brew with tons of flavor.

Poured in a New Belgium tulip-like, snifter-ish glass.

Appearance - Dark translucent copper red with a 2 finger head. The head dissipated fairly quickly.

Smell - Citrus and pine.

Taste - The hops kicks you in the face first, and the malt seduces you at the middle and the end. And then the hops kicks you again. Very balanced, big flavor.

Mouthfeel - Near perfect carbonation. Medium bodied.

Drinkability - Good. I personally wouldn't drink more than one bomber in an evening, but to each his own.

There is a lot of hype behind this beer, and to some people that is a bad thing. It is definitely a good brew. I have had other beers that don't live up to the hype. I think this one does. Plus it is a great value at 3.99$ a bomber (thank you Grapevine Market), especially with the 7.2 ABV. Try it if you haven't. I am definitely going to have another...

05-07-2007 22:14:41 | More by MiguelMandingo
david131

4.38/5  rDev +5%

A- A clear, dark ruby liquid pours from the glass. A little bit of orange highlights around the edges. A thick, off-white head forms and maintains itself for quite some time.

S- Massive citrus, especially grapefruit. Some pineapple and some pine. This thing is pungent! Kind of sweet smelling.

T- Same as the smell but more intense. Very hoppy with a great malt backing. This is a serious beer.

M- A good amount of carbonation. Not astringent or cloying. Well done.

D- This beer will mess you up. If you are in the mood for something big, this will quench your thirst. If you are not in the mood for a monster, wait for another day though.

05-07-2007 04:31:11 | More by david131
quikfish13

3.3/5  rDev -20.9%

Dark red in color with little visability. A very foamy tan head about 3 fingers thick. Appears quite tasty.

Nice hoppy scent with some decent citrusy aromas to it. Possibly a slight kick of alcohol in the smell as well.

Very strong bitter taste to it. A bit to strong to my liking. And contrary to the label I do not prefer a beer with a million dollar ad campaign. Quite the alcoholic bite to this beer. Very overpowering with the hops coming in through the center of the tasting.

A bit on the heavy side but not incredibly hard to drink. This is a good beer but a bit to strong for my personal tastes. I could not have more than one in quite some time.

05-06-2007 00:10:48 | More by quikfish13
arguemaniac

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a hazy orangish copper with a thick, creamy and very well-retained light tan head. Hops and caramel with some malt fruitiness in the aroma. The palate features loads of bready malt sweetness (with a firm toasted note), but it’s exceedingly well-balanced by a fairly intense hop spice and bright, rich citrusy hop flavor. Some malty fruitiness (orange?) is in there in well.

Did a side-by-side comparison of this one with the oaked version: Arrogant Bastard is slightly richer, with a better balance, while the Oaked AB is a bit smoother, more refined and slightly more complex. Both were equally enjoyable and very drinkable, especially considering how rich they are.

Anyway, recommended…

05-05-2007 19:40:51 | More by arguemaniac
atigerlife

Hawaii

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber.

Pours a brown with reddish/orange mixed in. thick, huge, light brown head that lasts very long. Lots of carbonation seen rising. Very nice to look at.

Aroma is sweet [honey], malts, hops and a woody undertone.

Taste is of sweet malts and hops. Definite hops bitterness, but not overpowering [I'm not a hophead, so this was great for me]. Very nicely balanced.

Mouthfeel had a medium body, dry, smooth and cleansing.

Overall, a very drinkable beer. Good session beer....even with the high ABV. I was really very, very surprised [in a good way]. Definitely want some more of this one.

05-05-2007 18:45:16 | More by atigerlife
PittBeerGirl

3.43/5  rDev -17.7%

A- Nice deep red/amber body with thick creamy head.

S- very malty with hints of hops. I thought the smell was rather pungent.

T- I had a bomber of this and everytime I sipped I noticed something different. There was obviously a hoppy finish that remained on the palate. The hops all together were good but the aftertaste was a bit unpleasant. There are subtle hints of dark fruit and chocolate and of course a nice malt backing. What I liked the best about this brew was a nice spicy flavor that lasts thrroughout it. Carmel can be noticed when there is a great length between sips.

M- well done. medium carbonation and medium weight body. Feels good in the mouth.

D- it was different. Not an everyday thing for me. One bomber is enough for at least the next month.

This beer is above average overall-but a little bit over hyped. There are hoppier, more complex, not for the "faint of heart" brews out there. This just didn't live up to my expectations. I will probably have it again. I do not hate it nor am I in love with it.

05-03-2007 03:18:29 | More by PittBeerGirl
gunnerman

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my specialty arrogant bastard glass, pours an amazing amber rustic color with a fluffy head that leaves heavy lace on the glass and stays the entire time, little carbonation bubbles float through this wonder looking ale. Smell is a bit citrusy hoppy smelling also has a bit of an earthy smell to it as well. Taste is a well balanced masterpiece of a bit of hop bitterness followed by bark, with a bit of a roasted malt and barley aftertaste, also a bit of grapefruit bitterness towards the end. Simply put this is one fine damn ale and one of the greatest brews around, top notch.

05-02-2007 23:21:25 | More by gunnerman
goschool

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

I gave this straight fours a couple of years ago. Lets see how I feel about today. 900 million people have reviewed this brew so I'll make this brief.

Appearance: The pour is ruby with a massive tan head that lasts until the last few sips.

Smell: The nose has citrusy and piney hops in front of caramel malts.

Taste: The flavor profile is about 60/40 hops. Citrus hops come in first and caramel malts enter the mix at the mid-palate, sticking around until the burst of bitterness at the finish. This one is big and balanced.

Mouthfeel: It's fairly smooth, but it still has that Stone stickiness.

Drinkability: I understand why I give it the score I gave it, it just goes to show that palates change from time to time.

04-27-2007 05:41:40 | More by goschool
DoubleJ

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

From Escondido to Vendome to my house, on to the beer:

Poured into a huge Oktoberfest mug, its a rich amber orange color with a thick and everlasting head. Dextrin, caramel, citrus, and hops are noticed through the smell. The taste is somewhat enjoyable, though it leans towards the bitter side. They don't call it Arrogant Bastard for nothing! The bitter hops and citrus are more intense in the flavor than the smell, but I think there needs to be a little more malt (update: I object your honor! It's already pretty malty and sweet.) Perhaps I've been spoiled by its maltier brother, Double Bastard. Despite that, you can taste the sweet flavor more as the beer warms up. It's awfully sticky as some of it spills around my lips.

It's not my favorite of Stone's products, as this Bastard will come right after you. This is a beer that gets better the more samples you have of it (the original overall score was 3.85).

04-23-2007 04:43:58 | More by DoubleJ
atsprings

4.97/5  rDev +19.2%

The beer poured a rich deep amber almost brown with a frothy head that slowly diminished but not completely and left great lacing on the glass. The aroma was of pine hops and burnt caramel. The taste is very well balanced between caramel and some brown malts along with earthy pine hops. They balance so well that both seem to dominate. The beer is medium bodied and although a little alcohol shows, it's not at all overbearing. This is one of my absolute favorite beers.

04-22-2007 03:09:07 | More by atsprings
udubdawg

Kansas

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

22 oz bomber

This stuff is a favorite, and I won't pretend to be objective.

This is a very small beer, tiny even. All soft, unassuming, puppies and kisses and cuddling, reminiscent of a Kansas grocery store 3.2% watered-down macro. Cute.
...OK, fine, I'll try to be serious. I remember the first time I had this - first sip was full of alcohol, then hop bitterness hits, and with some high initial carbonation it feels harsh and not at all pleasing. I probably cried when this brutal beast beat my palate to a pulp, what can I say.

Now I want to cry when I run out.

Pours a gorgeous dark amber, with excellent clarity and a three finger thick light tan/slightly yellowed head. Most of this recedes soon, but a cap lasts to the bottom, and lacing is excellent.

This beer smells good, don't get me wrong...but it is a little lighter than expected...perhaps this is intentional so the flavor is even more of a shock to the uninitiated. Toasted grains fail to hide behind some interesting citrusy hop aromas.

Again, the first thing I notice is alcohol. This beer, especially on first sip, could pass for a lot more than 7.2%. The initial spritziness that I don't enjoy dies down after only a few sips, resulting in a nice smooth medium-bodied mouthfeel. Complex and very full flavored - let's call it rich even. Ample grapefruit and bitterness that lasts well after the swallow. And we're not talking some sweetened pink grapefruit juice cocktail shit here - this is the real deal - yellow bitter grapefruit you choke down for breakfast cause you were too lazy to drag your fat ass over to the treadmill. Maybe even a little numbing to the palate - would you expect anything less?

Probably should be a sipper...but one can feel the beer making fun of your (lack of) manhood and you find yourself unable to stop drinking this awesome beer.

04-21-2007 21:29:45 | More by udubdawg
tommy78

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Pouring out of a tall bottle, the appearance of the beer was a deep red colour. The smell was sweet; a combination of hops and malts with a touch of fruitiness. The taste is possible the best. It has an instant smoky taste, but it quickly settles into the palate with a smooth finish. Not quite fizzy but soft in the mouth. As for the drinkability, one bottle would be sufficient to enjoy. In an odd way, it complemented the sushi I had earlier in the meal. I really enjoyed this brew from Stone.

04-21-2007 00:59:43 | More by tommy78
SaltyLime

Colorado

3.48/5  rDev -16.5%

May be minimal-hops biased on this one, I don't believe the bitter beer face should accompany a quality beer.

Appearance - Almost dark reddish-brown beer. Nice tan head, 2 fingers high, but it died down almost as quick as it rose up.

Smell - Sharp, fresh hops smell.

Taste - Very flavorful, but it was overpowered by the bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Don't sip this one, gulp it. Bitterness has less impact that way. Loved the flavors, just found myself trying to minimize the bitterness.

Drinkability - Bitter start, but you get used to it quickly. Light body, tasted it with food and the bitterness softened and only then did the rest of the beer's flavors seem to strengthen.

04-18-2007 00:21:56 | More by SaltyLime
bozebus17

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured a hazy deep orange. There was a large rocky faded white head at the start. This fizzled down to a small layer of foam that lasted the entire pint.

Smells of roasted malts, grainy hops, and there is a sweet scent as well.

This beer just rolls over your mouth with flavor. I don't even think I can describe everything. There was a definate roasted/sweet malt flavor but there was also plenty of bitterness to go around. There was also citrus, fruit, and wood. I'd probably call it very bitter but it has such a strong malt presence it is hard to do so.

This feels creamy and tingly in the mouth. It goes down easy for a beer of its size, although I don't know if I could have more than the one 22oz bomber at a time.

Overall this is a great beer. Definitely not an everyday beer but one I will definitely come back to in the future. It is good for special occasions and last night it did a great job at taking the edge off of an especially long stess-filled day at work.

04-17-2007 22:02:16 | More by bozebus17
Frozensoul327

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

From a 22 oz. bomber.

A: Pours out to a cloudy reddish brown color with a large and full head of tan / white foam. Lots of lacing in the glass, and a medium to medium low level of carbonation.

S: Strong aroma of citrusy hops and sweet maltiness. Element of wood and earth burrow in the back, with hints of grain and fruits lingering about.

T: Strong. Powerful. Flavors of pronounced fermented malts and full bodied grain clash against sweet, yet tamed hops and hushed wood notes. Grandfather like caramel fills the palate and permeates throughout. Nice.

M: For something so strong, I would've expected a more dense or pronounced mouthfeel. Mildly carbonated, slightly sharp and slick. Average.

D: Not an everyday brew, but a great example of a STRONG American Ale. Everyone should try this, at least once!

04-17-2007 02:23:30 | More by Frozensoul327
pinotboy007

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

My first experience with this and I must admit it was a very nice ale; the hops jump out of the Duvel-styled glass and seem to point to the need for food to cut through. (Ribs?)

Improved as it warmed to be sure and I'll buy it again. If you've not had this before, buy a single and see what you think.

Cheers!

04-16-2007 15:06:56 | More by pinotboy007
Redwood21

A: There is a nice thick dark color with little head, that does last for a long time as a thin veil nice to look at.

S: Hops Hops Hops its more faint than i would like but its there

T: Hops and bitterness, i know the point of this beer is to be extreme, and in that it is a success. its sweet and the overwhleming hops and bitterness dont linger for too long

M: medium in body, a little dry and is full, its just feels big.

D: not too high in alcohol, but not a session beer either. I think this is one of those beers you get a hankering for and really enjoy, but probably isnt the type of beer youd want a sixer of. Very fun, tasty and enjoyable beer * note: as it warms it becomes more smooth

04-16-2007 03:27:27 | More by Redwood21
Doctuh

Maine

4.58/5  rDev +9.8%

Beautiful amber red with a thick head that never loses its glory as it clings after the brew. On each lift the carbonation parts along the bottom of the glass as if part of a miracle. Superb mouthfeel, the carbonation expertly dissipating against the lips. Grapefruit is the dominance at the moment, both in aroma and in linger at the top of the throat post swallow. Strange forebodings of overpowering hops never impude, rather moving beyond strength and presence towards transcendence. Only with some lingering moments around the tongue do the hops truly reveal to us, bare in essence.

Arrogance if as the outward projection of fear in ones own ability: proceed without, well performed.

- Bomber pour, cellar temperature, into a pint glass -

04-15-2007 21:33:20 | More by Doctuh
geexploitation

Indiana

3.88/5  rDev -7%

Pours the color of cherry wood -- dark with some streaks of ruby. Big yellow-cream head that eventually fades to a collar. As expected, huge hops aroma with just a touch of malt foundation. The hops are heavy on the metals, relatively light on the citrus, but American all the way. On the palate, smooth pale malts hit the tongue first off, but the flavors move toward the back of the tongue very quickly, displaying lots of hop oils and citrus notes. Metals are toned down from the aroma. Very strong, oily bitterness is the key theme here -- from the mid-palate through the finish, my mouth is coated with hop oils. It's rough, tough, and definitely not subtle. Overall, this is the quintessential American strong ale -- big alcohol, very hoppy, not too balanced with malts. Not really my style, but good for what it is.

04-15-2007 05:41:26 | More by geexploitation
Nipitato

Picked up a bottle at Brookline Liquor Mart in Brighton, MA.

A: Dark reddish brown. Brilliant clarity. Pours with a thick and rich tan head that dissipates to a light dusting. Sticky lacing.

S: Nice mellow but prominent musky hop aroma with subtle grapefruit notes. Some sweet malt aroma but decidedly a background characteristic. Pretty prominent yeasty sulpher notes.

T: Flavor is dominated by grapefruit hop flavor. Hop flavor is somewhat soapy. Tannin astringency. Bready malt hanging out in the background. Flavor is strong and aggressive. Slightly woody.

MF: Medium light mouthfeel. Bitterness/hops adds to perception of fullness. Alcohol warming.

Comments/D: A strong in your face aggressive beer. Leans a little heavily on the hop side for me. Drinkability is good. Certainly worth getting more.

04-14-2007 16:02:37 | More by Nipitato
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.