Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 9,548 | Reviews: 2,895

Into a Founders snifter, pours a ruby color with red highlights. Some spotty lacing on the glass. One and half fingers of beige head.

Smells like tons of hops- primarily pine along some fresh cut grass, grapefruit and booze. I am getting a grassy smell as well.

Tastes like tons of hops. Definitely aggressive and in your face. Tastes similar to chewing on pine needles with lots of hop resin. There is also some grapefruit rind and booze. There does seem to be a malt backbone in this beer as well. I am tasting something similar to toasted bread which must be toasted malt but the flavor is predominantly aggressive hops.

This is a medium bodied beer with a nice amount of carbonation. This beer is creamy and sticky from all the hop resin. The finish leaves a lingering bitterness.

This is a nice hoppy American Strong Ale. The flavors are very aggressive and in your face. I could see why some people might not like it, but I do.

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

Very nice looking beer. Ruby red color when held up to light, dark red/brown color otherwise. Good head, and retains its head throughout the session. Great lacing the whole way down.

Smells extremely sweet and hoppy. The hops are of the pine-smelling variety.

Tastes excellent. Complex. Honey sweetness up front, then loads of piney hops, then a crisp dry finish. Great blend of sweetness and hops.

Great mouthfeel. Perfect density, and blend of creaminess and hoppiness is very nice.

Where else can you find a ruby colored, sweet, hoppy, high ABV beer? I'm sure one exists but I haven't seen it. This beer earns the right to be arrogant.

3.71/5  rDev -10.8%

A- looks like a dark amber, with a bit of red when held up to the light. A creamy head with about a finger and a half height.

S- good smell but not as powerful as I expected. Thought there would be more.

T- definately more bitter hop flavor than aroma leaving a lasting impression on your tongue. Caramel notes in the flavor but smacks you with bitterness.

M- lots of carbonation on your tongue. Goes well with the hops.

O- its a good beer and definately worth trying. Don't think its one I would want all the time but its a good change of pace from other beers and it gets a +1 for the story on the bottle. Had better beers but still a good beer.

4.41/5  rDev +6%

A: Beautiful amber color with a hint of red. Great clarity. When poured it has a nice finger width of head that's almost a blush color.

S: I thought it would have a much stronger hop smell than it did. Sounds to be such a bold beer but the smell isn't showing that. Moderate hops smell with a nice aroma of grapefuit/citrus.

T:The taste justifies the name of this beer. A perfect amount of hops added with that great grapefruit taste. It leaves a laster bittering hoppy trademark on your tongue leaving you wanting more! If you like a bitter beer, this one is for you!

M: light mouthfeel, highly carbonated. Doesn't coat your mouth - the lasting finish is enough.

O: By drinking this beer my husband and I were able to get past a long "having our differences" day and enjoy each other, the company, and a great tasting, hop-filled, in-your-face finish beer that I would be sure to buy again!!

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

A > Nice amber color, with a good head on it, beige in color

S > Again nice IPA smell can wiff the hops a bit but not to harsh

T > Very smooth taste hoppy yet malty to balance it out, i need a more alcoholly pop too

M > Little weak, I prefer a little more carbonation and bitterness than this had

Overall a good beer, would definitely have it again and again. Not the greatest but really really good beer. Cheers!!

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance
Deep hazy reddish brown in colour, forms a nice one-finger head initially which hangs about for a short time before going back to a off-white ring around the glass.

Smell
Sweet caramel malts along with plenty of piney hop and citrus aromas. Smells rich but extremely inviting with the citrus hop aromas.

Taste
A Very rich and complex taste. There are plenty of tastes which coming through at different stages.
Initially a rich caramel malt taste and dark fruit which stays through to the middle where a bitterness begins to appear and build up to a massive finish with a lot of bitter citrus hops and a tang of alcohol but the richness of the initial malt is still in there. The bitterness stays at the back of the mouth for a long, long time. Very well balanced.

Mouthfeel
A medium carbonation and a medium-heavy silky body which really clings to your mouth.

Overall
A deliciously strong, rich and complex beer which really delivers a lot of taste and aroma. Even better, it comes in a huge bottle! Not really a session beer but a fine example of a beer to sit back and savour.

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

On tap at Miller's Ale House in PBG. Finally, they serve something drinkable.

Appearance - Dark amber body. I didn't really check for clarity because this beer just isn't much to look at. It's gotta be said that it isn't pretty. It looks the way it's supposed to, I guess. Imposing.

Smell - Strangely, I never seem to get a lot of aroma from AB. I get the hops first. Mostly grapefruit. Maybe a bit floral. Behind that I get roasted malts with some caramel. It's not a strong or complex aroma.

Taste - This is where the goodness is. I get just a bit of grapefruit hop at the start, followed by some malt. Caramel malt, but not sweet. The bitter finish is when I love and what steers the feeble drinkers away. The bitterness lasts and lasts until you take another sip to get just enough malt for a brief reprieve.

Mouthfeel - Well carbonated. Enough body to help the malt flavor linger until the finish. Not syrupy, though.

Overall - It defies comparison and it's a beer that grows on you. I'm thrilled that I can finally go to the Ale House and get something decent. It's not a beer I go out and buy, but it's a beer I'll always get when I'm out at a restaurant.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

On draft – poured into a pint (from some old notes)

Appearance- pours a dark amber color, with a creamy light tan head. Some nice lace left behind.

Smell- Aromas of caramel malt intermingling with citrus sided hops. Almost could describe the aroma as simple, not a lot going on, but it is pleasant.

Taste- Toasted and caramelized malts lead things off. Notes of molasses and dark fruits as well. Slightly floral with a strong citrus hop finish, particularly grapefruit. Very nice balance in this brew.

Mouthfeel- Creamy and smooth, with medium full body and carbonation. Ever so slight alcohol warming.

Overall- Fairly simple, yet complex at the same time, great balance throughout all aspects on this one. A nice “go to” beer.

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a clear glorious amber (or ruby away from the light). A thick light tan head rests atop, leaving awesome lacing as it recedes.

Some light aromatic sweetness from the malt, but the nose is almost entirely hops. Huge over-ripe citrus with caramel, but at the same time, a fresh grassy scent.

Sweet malt with a light twang of grapefruit and the bitterness of it's peel. Caramelly, with a hint of coffee. Much more roasted malt in the taste than was evident in the nose.

Medium-bodied with a light prickle. Syrupy enough to hold all that superb flavor on the tongue.

I actually prefer this to the oaked version. The oak, while good, had a bit of harshness to it. This is way smoother, and in my estimation, much more drinkable.

4.7/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Hazzy, burnt ruby red. Dark candied apple when held to light. Light tan, two finger head. Lacing just clings to glass and won't let go.

S- Sweet malts, grapefruit, mandarin oranges. Pine and floral hops. Candied sugar, cherries and slight alcohol.

T- Floral hops, resinous pine oils, grapefruit. Candied sugar, roasted malts.

M- Medium bodied, lively carbonation, warming alcohol, bitter aftertaste.

O- Always been a favorite, never reviewed. I can remember my first AB when I didn't like it, now I can't get enough.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

I know it's considered a hallmark of beer dummies, but I'm not a "hoppy" beer guy. I have, in the past, associated IPA's and their fanboys with the pretentious. But, this beer comes highly recommended, so I'm giving it the shot it deserves, and trying hard (despite what I just said) not to be a judgmental prick.

Pour: One of the most beautiful, deep but clear ruby colored pours I've seen. Nice 2 finger, off-white head with nice lacing.

Nose: Sweet and floral, just as I've come to expect from hoppy beers. Hint of grapefruit. Not getting a whole lot else from it.

Taste: Holy grapefruit, Batman! This beer is long on citrus for sure. And if it weren't for a silky smooth, rich finish I wouldn't be able to drink much of it.

Drinkability: Eh. It's strong, which I like. But I think it's going to be an occasional beer for me. Just when I'm feeling saucy, I guess.

Notes: Arrogant Bastard is definitely not a beginner beer. But I've had enough quality strong ales to know a decent beer. From the smoothness of the middle to the finish, it's not hard to tell that this is a very nicely crafted brew. That said, I do think it's completely over the top. And maybe that's the idea, but I do find the sensationalism of it all - the Arrogance of it - to be a distraction from what is otherwise an excellent brew.

4.36/5  rDev +4.8%

A: Beautiful dark ruby. Head was about a finger and a half and mostly white with a yellowish tint.

S: It has a sweet smell, not unlike molasses. I didn't notice the pine that everyone else mentions, but after breathing it in again, I sense it mixed in with that initial sweet smell.

T: The first time I had it was on tap at The Pub in Las Vegas and I didn't care for it since I felt it was too overpowering. However, this time I'm really digging it. Maybe because since then I've been on a Double IPA kick so my palate can handle it better. Just like the smell, it does have a sweet flavor but not one that is cloying. There is also a pine hoppy flavor which is a bit less subtle than its brother, Stone IPA.

M: Smooth with a slight tingle on the tongue.

O: I'm glad I picked up a bottle after my initial experience on tap. This is a fantastic beer, and I definitely plan to buy more next time I am in the States.

4.56/5  rDev +9.6%

a: dark with the slight amber tint. had of half an inch that took its time to go down.

s: very fine and rich roasted malt that was quickly passed by piney hopps.

t: swwet rich roasted malt follwed by mellow pine hop my guess cadcades.

m: lots of carb. smoth malt then twang of bitter hops.

o: this beer makes u proud to be alive. its a wonderful blend of biterness and roasted malt.

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Old friend, how long has it been? I see you on tap and can resist no longer..A year? Two years? Who can count the grains of sand in a child's litter box?
The blood amber sits heavily, an almost khaki head perched above, bird of prey style. The smell is familiar, familial. Pine and sweet malt. A little bit of caramel and dates. Ancient and humbling. A sip and it floods back. Some of the first times with this beer. That pint in Taos at the bar with the cowboy. Sweet malt begins with a bit of pine and grapefruit, finishing dry with a lingering and lovely bitterness, perfectly balanced. Each sip reveals a new ring around the glass, suds slowly gravitating back to the liquid.
The original perhaps uncategorizable "strong ale."
Not arrogant without reason, a toast today to Stone's big news on their new brewery and everexpansion.

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

22oz bomber best by July 6. Reviewed May 18.

Ruby-colored, almost brown but not quite. One-finger head leaves lacing.

Big pine aroma with some sweet fruity malt beneath.

Citrus/pine hops take hold midway largely dominate the flavor, but there's also a sweet, lightly roasted malt flavor beneath. But not caramel--I can pick out some dark fruit aspects, like figs and raisins and what not. An interesting mix. More like a doppelbock IPA than a black IPA, if you had to classify it as an IPA.

Mouthfeel is right down the middle medium.

I remember when this was one of the "strongest" tasting beers I've had. It's not anymore, but it's really a good beer I don't drink often enough. A widely available go-to when you're looking for something sturdy and flavorful.

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Arrogant Bastard pours nice copper-amber hue with an off white head. The foam was rocky and clung to the glass down to the last sip. A big piny aroma greets the tippler. Malt and alcohol lurk in the background as well as rounding out a complex bouquet.

Full and flavorful on the palate. The sweet malt glides into an assault of hops. Pine and citrus pour over the palate and send it down. Bursting with hoppy goodness and balanced by sweetened malt and fruit. The alcohol warms.

A tasty complex well-balanced brew. A Strong Ale indeed.

3.95/5  rDev -5%

Presentation: A pint poured into a chalice.

A: a dark yet clear mahogany. Head was off-white and at least one inch. Left a sheet of lacing three quarters of the way down and then began to leave ring-like formations. It looked alive and perhaps, even sinister.

S: Floral and even a tad sweet. Malty, hoppy and crisp. Very gratifying.

T: The floral taste was the most vigorous to my palate. It subsided to a toasty-hoppy flavor and then further to a pleasant bitterness. I think this is due to the malts hiding in the background, which definitely render the taste balanced.

M: Smooth and medium bodied. Carbonation was prime.

O: Indeed, this brew is strong with a fantastic biting finish to each sip, and especially the final one. Floral, hoppy tempered with a malt base. It is a good beer.

4.12/5  rDev -1%

I've had two bottles of this beer in the past weekend. This beer is what it promises except for the fact that it states "You probably won't like it." It is aggressive(a commonality among Stone beers), hoppy, and malty.

This beer is somewhere in between I.P.A. and double I.P.A. It pours a nice redish, with an aroma of hops and fruit. Generally double I.P.A.'s I've tried have had a powerful grapefruit characteristic. This beer had a balance of the hop character of a highly-hopped single I.P.A., and a fruit after-taste of a double I.P.A. It is one of the most complex brews I have tried recently. This is definitely worth picking up for any hop lover.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

pour is a deep amber with a hint of ruby. fluffy creamy head lingers and has some heavy lacing up front.

very citrus and floral. heavy on the hops with a slightly sweet malty scent. lots of grapefruit.

again, heavy on the hops. a blast of citrus with a hint of pine. very grapefruit forward. lightly sweet malt backbone really holds it all together

very full bodied with a moderate carbonation. a bit sticky.

although probably the most common of Stone ales, its as solid as it comes. a great hop forward amber. my only beef is i wish the ABV was cut a bit lower.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Found this is the bottle the other day. I've had it before, but I'm reviewing now so I thought I would mention it. It's everything everyone is making it out to be a big, aggressive beer that you have to be a craft beer drinker to enjoy. Don't think this is the kind of beer that a bud or miller drinker would enjoy. But, if you love craft beer, it belongs in a category of it's own.

4.32/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a murky red-brown, with a thick head and equally thick lace.

Aroma is nice - I get some fruit, berries, and bread. Friendly so far.

First sip dispels that notion of "friendly". It's bitter, with some sting. Definitely some roasted malts in there, and a boat-load of hops as well.

This one is, as the name states, a bruiser of a beer. Strong and potent. Enjoyable, but watch out as this one sneaks up on you!

This pours something like congealed blood with a one finger head that dies down gradually leaving a little lace. On the nose there is a giant, fresh pine aroma. Backing that up is just a bit of fresh citrus riding atop a big malt backbone of caramel, which was much bigger than I expected. In the mouth there is no doubt that the pine is center stage, but there is some slightly sweet caramel that makes this brew something more than just a hop bomb. The body is pretty viscous with the long finish being a mixture of sweetness up front, and bitterness that lingers a little longer. There is a little bit of an alcohol presence here, no knock in my book.

Overall, this is a really nice brew. In the past I've wondered why they don't just call it a big amber, but this time I really noticed the caramel malts backing up the bitterness, providing a little more depth than normal for an amber.

Below is my bottle review:

Been drinking this one for years but just started posting reviews. The quintessential strong beer from which the others are judged. This is really the only strong dark beer with as much hops as it has. Like a low alcohol hoppy barleywine, this one has become so popular that I almost never get it anymore. Since it's so available, I'm always looking for more obscure things to drink. However this is a great one to go back to and a good gateway beer for someone looking for some real adventure.

This is also my goto draft beer and I enjoy it all the time. The only problem is that it tends to ruin my palate for anything else, but it's not a terrible thing if I have to commit to Arrogant Bastard for the night.

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Looks pretty, beautiful fluffy 3-finger white head on top of a dark burnt orange ale. Some serious lacing on the glass. Smells of some deep resiny hops and some burnt toasted malts in there as well.

Well hops obviously, especially in the finish. Up front there's are some burnt malts. This is a very intense brew with bold flavors of strongly bitter, resinous hops and roasty malts. That said, its very well balanced between the two. More booziness comes out as it warms up and the flavors all become magnified but somehow less intense. The mouthfeel is creamy and very full-bodied.

All in all this beer is very quality, but maybe not for everyday drinking. It's not the most refreshing beer I've had but I think this would be perfect for a fall night after a hard day. Good stuff, great beer for a hophead.

4.56/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance - Deep amber color, nice 1 finger head. As the head retreats there is a nice lacing on the side of the glass.
Smell - I smell oak maybe, lots of malt that is balanced by hops.
Taste - Very strong, Malt upfront followed by hops on the backend. Overall a very strong great flavor, it seems really well balanced.
Mouthfeel - Seems full.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.