Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

smell; quite a good hop odor, with other characters that reminded me of typical American microbrews with too much hops. A little more balanced than most.

taste; very complex, with some toasty barley notes, hops mostly prevailed but not too excessive, still could be less. However I can't blame them, nearly every American beer drinker I know, who is a step above macrobrew garbage, is a hophead! They just must be catering to the consumer but not so much so that non-hopheads can't enjoy as well.

mouthfeel; sharp carbonation takes away any watery qualities, almost some thickness but no, I think it's the alcohol numbing my tongue. Very nice, perhabs the most memorable feature.

drinkability; one is enough! I'd drink Doppelbock in excess before this. Not enough malts to balance with the hops for me but would certainly drink again.

Not really my kind of beer but I have still much to learn of the style. I liked it but I guess I'm not arrogant enough to be worthy.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured into a tulip

A - Deep mahogany color, good clarity, tight off-white head, heavy lacing down the glass.

S - Piney, spicey and some citrus hops and big carmely malt back bone, some roastiness

T - Good amount of pine bitterness, big malty character, very little alcohol is detectable.

M - Medium bodied, good carbonation

D - Very drinkable, gets a bit sweet after 22oz though

A classic beer that everyone should have at least once or have sitting in the fridge.

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

Living in Kansas, I don't often have the opportunity to get great fresh beer from the coasts. Sure, we have access to big breweries like Sierra Nevada, Rogue, and Samuel Adams, but we don't have access to those "chic" breweries. One such name is Stone, a brewery that I've always admired from afar but never had the opportunity to sample. On a recent trip to Denver I made it a point to seek out a bevy of beers that I just can't get here locally, including several from Stone. For tonight, I figured that I may as well start with the beer that is arguably Stone's most famous, Arrogant Bastard. I have to admit that I'm both nervous and excited to try this beer. This one is a 22 ounce bomber, with the famous Stone Gargoyle on the front. As if I wasn't intimidated enough there's the phrase "You're Not Worthy" greeting me as I crack the bottle open.

I'm treating this beer as I would a Belgian, as surprisingly outside the name I know very little about it. So that means that I'm using my Chimay chalice. Blasphemy you say? Well, considering the name is Arrogant Bastard, I figured it appropriate. Pours similarly to a Belgian beer as well, a deep amber color. The color is the first thing that surprises me about this beer, as it's much darker, bordering on brown, than I expected. Half inch head that dissipates but leaves a fine bubbly lacing along the sides of the glass. Nice.

Aroma is surprisingly malty. Considering Stone's profile (i.e. California, I was expecting this to be quite hoppy, but again that's not the case. It's a complex smell, and my first thought was of pretzels, like the big soft pretzels you can get on a street corner. There's some sweetness to the malt aroma as well, kind of like a French loaf or something similar. I want to say that there are some faint fruit aromas, like figs or other dark fruits. This aroma is just fantastic. I could smell it all day.

Mouthfeel is pretty tremendous. It's thick without being syrupy, full without being sticky. While the hops were not present in the nose there's this super huge lingering bitterness that smothers your palate, choking it from the front to the back with your first drink. And again, the Arrogant Bastard surprises me, as it tastes like nothing I was expecting. There's this huge, full-on malt sweetness up front, which gives way to a dryness before heading into the bitterness at the end. I attribute the middle dryness to house character that seems to be present in all of Stone's beers. When tasting the beer I'm surprised at how fruity it really is, as I get these huge hits of raisin and fig on my palate. What's amazing is how the sweetness just evaporates in the middle, giving way to this dryness and then the big bitterness. It's a really incredible feat to move from the sweet to dry realm so quickly.

This is a Belgian beer without the Belgian yeast. Arrogant Bastard only gets better the longer you let it warm up. The fruit flavors and malt profile are amplified the closer that it gets to room temperature. It's a delicious beer, and I can easily see why so many people enjoy it. Overall I'm quite impressed with it, and I have absolutely nothing to add but "wow."

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

"Enjoy by" date of 9/26/10
Poured in to Duvel tulip

A - Medium brown colour with a slight amber glow and two fingers of creamy cream-coloured head.

S - Some bitter hops up front with light citrus and piney notes. A sweet caramel malt profile rounds out the nose.

T - A nice better hope bite up front with some citrus and pine notes. There is a sweet caramel malt flavour that blances this out nicely. The bitter hops linger in the finish. Overall a good palate but a little to malty for me.

D - A good beer but it got a little boring to me after a while.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Arrogant Bastard
Stone Brewing Co.
American Strong Ale
7.2% ABV
OG?
IBUs?
22 oz bomber with a freshness date of November 08, 2010 poured into a Maredsous chalice on September 22, 2010.

Appearance 5/5
Rust brown colored, clear, with a great tan color creamy head that stayed and left it's impression on the glass; kickass!

Aroma 4/5
Hops! Piney, citrusy, herbal, and grassy. People say it all the time, and I agree, that Stone has a way with hops.

Taste 4/5
Firm and "heavy" bitterness full of the hop flavor that was found in the aroma. I cannot tell what separates it from a good AIPA but it's not an AIPA by the style guidelines; and the taste is in accordance: I have always attached a "light" taste as opposed to "heavy" taste to IPAs, so it's an Strong Ale alright! I can see, if not explain, why they invented a style for it.

Mouthfeel 5/5
Medium body that balances the bitterness well. The carbonation level would propel it to the crisp category. It's not the refreshing kind, but it's an experimental style very well done. For the sake of completeness, the finish is very bitter and moderately clean.

Drinkability 5/5
Being good in all other categories implies that the drinkability is high!

4.7/5  rDev +13%

First review, so I think I would make it of the best beer i've tried recently...

Tried this on a recent trip to San Diego, not used to the massive selection since I come from an area that is mostly BMC dominated and it's hard to find craft stuff. I remember reading a few excellent reviews of this, and the name really stands out on a page, so I ordered one from the bartender, who seemed pleased with the selection.

Came to me in a Pint Glass, held it up to the light, almost completely opaque and creamy looking. The head was about 2 fingers tall, a little fizzy and off-white, head started disappearing quickly, but left nice lacing all around.

A - This was totally great looking, love the darkness, head fizzed out and made way for just the beer rather quickly.

S- Powerful, black pepper, cedar/woodsy, coffee. It's very strong, and very bitter smelling, the hops is very dense. I like this a lot, it's a very heavy smell.

T- Amazing. The bitterness is powerful, the hops washes over my tongue and I can see why this is so highly rated. It's a nice strong flavor that is full of spiciness, bitterness, and sweetness all at the same time.

M - Feels really nice, leaves a great feeling, and an aftertaste that lingers with the liquid that remains.

D - This is a great beer, everything about it was spot on. Not something you can just slam back, heavy, but definitely one of my favorite beer experiences so far.

3.45/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured into a snifter from a bomber.

After hearing so much about this beer, I had to give it a shot, so here we go. Appearance is deep mahogany color, reddish amber as you hold it up to the light. Half inch tan head that slides down ever so slowly, leaving some serious lacing. Smell is full of piney hops, with some undertones of sweet caramel malts as well as some citrus notes. Quite nice.

Can definitely taste that pine in the initial sip, with just a bit of malt before the hoppy bitterness steps in and overrides pretty much everything. Strong, strong hop bitterness. I'm able to pick out some more subdued malty notes as well as some citrus nuances. Finish is bitter, bitter, bitter with just a hint of alcohol that becomes more noticeable as the brew warms. Absolutely coats the tongue. It lingers long into the aftertaste. Definitely deserves the 'strong' classification. Mouthfeel is firm and solid, with a good amount of carbonation. No qualms with that.

Drinkability is certainly better than a BMC offering, but the bitterness definitely takes some getting used to. It absolutely lives up to its moniker, as this beer is definitely arrogant, definitely strong, almost brutal. Too intense to merit any more than I've already had.

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

On atap at Maggies on the River, Watertown, NY.

A: Dark mahogany color with a small thick head that fades to lacing.

S: Malt & grain aroma with a trace of citrus mixed in.

T: Starts with a nice crispness & moves to a nice malt with come citrus taste. Has a nice bitter finish with a slight nutty aftertaste.

F: Medium body, quite smooth and the 7.2 ABV peeking through not overpowering.

D: Good Brew, nice for the style. Nicely balanced, a really good sipper when kicking back.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

The first time I had this beer, I thoroughly enjoyed it, so I decided to get a case of it to enjoy throughout the year. I'm still pretty new to the reviewing game, so here goes!

Bottle Appearance: Very cool bottle, and the humor on the labels makes it quite a good laugh to read. My favorite quote being on the case "Keep Refrigerated, Numbskull!"

Appearance: Very nice looking beer out of the bottle, leaves a very nice head, that hangs around quite a while, and leaves very nice lacing. Almost a copper red color to it, and the head was a nice tan.

Smell: Very strong scent of pine (because of the hops, I believe) However, there are other scents intermingling. I smelled also a bit of malt to it, almost like a caramel scent, and also a hint of a lemon zest to it, there is also a slightly roasted malt quality to it too, which gives a very nice depth to the scent.

Taste: Very hoppy. There is a taste of citrus that appears also with the hops.The malt does a great job balancing it out, and only gets bitter at the finish. I get almost a piney taste at first, and then the flavor simply explodes, lemon zest and hints of caramel in the beer, it's absolutely a joy to the senses, The finish of the beer is very dry. However, all the flavors are quite strong, which may scare some people away.

Mouthfeel: There was a bit of carbonation to it, which gave the beer a very interesting mouthfeel, the beer would almost coat the palate.

Drinkability: I find it to be pretty drinkable, however the strong flavor profile definitely doesn't make this a session beer (at least to me). This is a beer that I could have when I want a darn good beer, and want to know how real beer should taste.

Overall: A Bastard Everyone can love!

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

On Cask at Thirsty Monk with "American Oak Chips" added. Tasted 1 hour after it was tapped and set on the top of the bar. I found the cask to be a lot more mellow (in aroma, taste, hop-bite, and carbonation) than the original Bastard. This special cask version had a buttery taste and texture, with just the merest hint of wood. Whereas one Arrogant Bastard will leave my tongue dry, I was able to down two glasses with tongue and mouth intact. Once warmed up, the pine aroma wafted tantalizingly from the glass.

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a dark ruby tone of amber with a frothy light tan head. The head has great staying power and leaves clingy trails of lace on the glass.

The aroma is a mix of earthy and slightly zesty citrus hops and complex malts. The malt bill is very caramel heavy with some nice dark fruity notes in there as well as a bit of roastyness.

The flavor is very nice with plenty going on and all flavors complimenting each other. Earthy, slightly grassy hops mingle with lemon zest. Caramel and mildly roasted malt combine to form a very interesting and savor worthy malt flavor. This beer seems to be quite bitter, but the malt is up to the task of holding up all that bitterness, only allowing it to come through in the finish.

The mouthfeel is medium with a super dry finish that might be the biggest weakness of this beer. After swallowing sticky dryness takes over my tongue and overly dank hops linger on my palate.

Drinkability is an interesting category for this beer. You would think with the ABV that it would go down fairly easily (for me at least) but I find myself savoring it because of all that is going on. I think this is a good thing in the end, and AB remains a craft beer staple.

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass. Enjoy by 11 07 10 printed on bottle.

Appearance: Pours a deep mahogany brown with hints of ruby and a fluffy tan 3 finger head. Great head retention. Very nice lacing throughout.

Smell: Floral and piney hops with hints of pineapple and toasted malt.

Taste: Grapefruit and sweet citrus up front followed by toasted malt in the middle then bitter citrus and alcohol at the finish. Aftertaste is bitter lemon rind. The alcohol really comes out as the beer warms up.

Mouthfeel: Medium-to-full-bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Very good drinkability. You could knock a few back over the course of an evening.

Overall: Excellent beer overall. I would highly recommend this one.

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I am kind of confused why I don't already have a review up for this. I have consumed it on many occasions and I guess it just goes to the way side with paying more attention or picking the double bastard or the oaked version when it is available. Oh well, here goes.

Poured from a bomber into a fitting stone pint glass. For the life of me I can't make out the best by date on the bottle but I believe it to say by the end of this month. AB appears a clear amber color with 2 fingers of creamy head that is tanned but has a bit of yellow about it as well. The cap of foam retains well but as it receeds, sticks around the glass with quite a bit of patchy lace.

The aroma of this brew is a pleasant mixture of hops meets malt. There is a sweetness about the nose that suggests carmelized sugars and it blends very well with the hops. The hops come forward with a scent of oranges and pine with a little bit of floral aspect about it as well. Just smelling this brew is very deceiving, it smells like this brew is going to be sweet.

The flavor of this brew includes toasty malt that is a bit like carmelized sugars leaning toward a bit of smokiness. The hops are resinous with a flavor of pine and orange rind. There is a false sense of vanilla-like sweetness before the bitterness of the hops comes back in to pierce the tongue. The hops cling in the mouth and stick long into the finish. Quite a bold presense of alcohol is included and meshes very well with the flavors of the toasty malt and hops.

This is a medium bodied brew with moderate level of carbonation. Well rounded and overall just a good example of how enjoyable hops can be when done right with a modest amount of malt and moderate abv to back it. About the only thing holding this brew back from being super drinkable is the bold character of the alcohol, there are beers with twice as much abv that are not this forward with the alcohol presence. Regardless, the name of this brew is quite fitting. A must try.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Beer 1 of Bastard Bash.

A: gorgeous belgian pour, a deep mahogany with a thick foamy head that leaves spotty lacing.

S: fine smelling malts and wheats permeate the nostrils.

T: way more hops than expected, nearly drinking like a pale ale, excellent malt and barley flavors.

MF/D: sizzling tingle of hops tickle the tongue but dissipate for a smooth swallow, a sessionable belgian that i will continue to buy. hits harder than 7.2%.

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from a 1 pt. 6 fl oz. bottle into a Hoppin' Frog pint glass. I have to say, I always thought this was another one of those mass marketed, staple in any bar type of beers. That was before I was a BA. Here's a review with my new found knowledge and thinking...

A - Pours a deep copper color with a slightly fluffy, one finger head that quickly recedes.

S - Caramel malt and a nice stong piney hop presence. Some brown sugar notes as well. Not really a lot going on here, but what is mixes together quite well.

T - Very strong hop bitterness to this and completely up front. The bitterness carries all through the taste to the back of the palate. Nice citrus and pine hop mix with a very strong caramel/brown sugary malt backbone.

M - Pretty heavy assault on the tastebuds. Almost a stinging sensation as it hits the tongue and works around the palate.

D - Fairly drinkable, but not for the faint of heart (i.e., not new beer drinkers). This one is for the hop lovers who really go for the hop assault on the palate.

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

A - Copper with a super fluffy white head that never seems to fade. Leaves pretty amazing lacing.

S - Caramel malts followed quickly by citrusy hops.

T - Lots of grapefruit and pine. A bit of spice from the hops, but overall tasty. I think this tastes like hop-flavored malt juice.

M - Prickly, as in leaves a tingle all over the mouth. Moderate to high carbonation and medium in body.

D - Pretty easy to kill a bomber of this. It's probably too strong in flavor to really give to any kind of newbie.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Awesome brew. Pours a deep slightly reddish amber with a 2 and a half finger light tan head that has nice retention. Leaves a bit of lacing behind. Smells of pine and citrus, nice hop profile. Taste has the pine and citrus as well, with a touch of grapefruit, but it has a nice caramel malt body that really balances this beer. This is a classic. My girlfriend doesn't ordinarily like really hoppy brews but this one actually didn't bother her. A classic go-to in my book.

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A- Pours a redish amber. Head is something darker than eggshell, with good retention and a ton of lacing.
S- Smell is of citrus, particularly grapefruit, and brown sugar. Splendid.
T- Very much like the aroma but brutally aggressive. It literally feels like a kick to the tongue. Citrusy, grapefruity, slightly boozy.
M- Medium bodied, slightly high carbonation, but I actually found this refreshing in this beer's case.
D- Absolutely a great beer. It was arrogant and it was a bastard. A definite sipping brew. But one wonders, can a beer be too intense? The label says I'm not worthy. I felt worthy. But I don't feel worthy or capable of drinking another. My taste buds would certainly tap out.

4.68/5  rDev +12.5%

Found at a local store in the 22oz bomber, and poured into a tall beer glass.

A- Very Dark amber with a carmel-coloured, thick head. Very lightly carbonated.

S- Full-bodied abbey ale aroma. Very malty and sweet with a heavy juniper-berry note.

T- Full-bodied with a strong hop bitterness. Alchohol and juniper notes come out. Malty. This beer has a nice floral quality about it. They advertise it as being impossible to drink, but for a beer drinker who likes bold flavour, this beer is just right.

M- Medium-heavy body with dry mouthfeel. You taste the tang of carbonation more than you see in the glass. Lingering bitter with juniper notes stick around.

D- Again, if a strong, hoppy beer is your thing, you will enjoy this beer; if you prefer lighter beers, most likely not.

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass

Pours a rich red, really dark copper color. Fantastic off white head that leaves lacing from start to finish. This beer sticks to you like a fat kid to a buffet.

Smells of hops and spice. Very rich aroma that hits the nostrils strong.

The taste is unique, thats what I love about this beer. It stands out. Hits your tongue with hops and and bitters and demolishes all the way down. Leaves you feeling like you drank something worth your time.

Its a bit harsh on the palette, especially the first time around. If you're a red fan or a belgian strong ale fan, this beer is a must.

This isn't an all night sipper and its not something you want to down a great deal of. This brew is sure to kick you where it counts but leaves you satisfied and feeling like you know what a true craft beer tastes like.

3.95/5  rDev -5%

This beer has a lovely appearance. It is amber read in colour and it pours with a nice head that lasts for a minute or two. It has a hoppy, fruity smell. Basically, by this stage, you'll really want to taste it.

Arrogant Bastard Ale lives up to it's name, with an aggressively hoppy taste that is similar to the smell but ramped up to 11. The taste stays consistent until you get to the aftertaste, which is appropriately bitter (how every encounter with an arrogant bastard ends).

The beer is mildly carbonated and goes down nicely with an accompaniment.

4.2/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours with a big o'l light tan head that takes a while to settle, leaving some nice bubbly lace. The color looks ruby as Dorothy's shoes, just lovely.

Smells like the outdoors: a bit piney, little bit of sweetness.

Tastes like a suped up dopplebock. Pretty strong roasty malt flavor with a bit of a lingering smoky after-taste. Tastes quite boozy which knocks down the drinkability for me but I still want to keep gettin' sips in as it's pretty damn delicious.

The bottle is pretty cool the stone demon and stuff that's on it. The back description is a bit pretentious but probably makes some beer geeks feel high and mighty for enjoying it. Want to try the oaked version now.

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

an old classic...one of my first craft beers. been awhile so i ordered a 16oz pour at fatheads, english-style pint glass.

A - bit over a finger of frothy, very light tan colored foam which just wouldnt go away. already covering the glass with a thin film which eventually sticks to it like glue. the beer is dark, dark amber in color and relatively clear. impressive.

S - hops, very heavy on the pine with a slightly citrusy sweet vibe at the end. sharp sweet caramel malt struggles for attention.

T - sharp and dark roasted malts coat the tongue before a massively bitter piney hop attack. hints of grapefruit and a lightly floral touch as well. a little one sided and everything seems to be fighting for attention at once instead of playing nicely.

M - a bit astringent...i know its meant to be bitter but with the aid of strong prickly carbonation it distracts from the flavors a bit. very dry finish with lingering piney bitterness.

D - arrogant indeed. right up a lot of craft drinker's alley, and i like them as hoppy and robust as they come but this is just lacking some grace, control. too many bold flavors at once do not leave much room for anything else. hits the spot on certain days, this must not be one of them.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

The appearance of this beer is gorgeous. It pours a rich reddish/amber color. The head was thick with a coffee colored deliciousness... mmm.

The nose of this beer definitely shows a strong presence of hops. There is some citrus and floral notes as well as a faint, faint hint of sweet caramel smelling malts.

The mouthfeel is definitely bitter. The first sip will put a wallop on your tongue, but there is enough malt character to balance the bite. A real nice texture.

Overall, this is most certainly a beer I would drink again. It won't be something you could have a bunch of, but is certainly a well-crafted and delicious brew.

Drank from a pint glass poured from on tap at Prarie Moon.

A: Deep red, brownish. Hazy but very bubbly. Really an incredible head, and significant, almost artistic lacing.

S: Very hoppy smelling, yet balanced with some amount of maltiness. Light booze is clearly evident on the nose. This one should be a doozy.

T: Dominant flavours are roasted malt and toastiness. Contrary to the smell, hoppiness is more subdued, though still plays a prominant role. Has quite the nutty aftertaste.

M: Its a tad boozy, not suprisingly since it is 7.2 abv. Quite bubbly. Decent aftertaste

D: Too high abv to session. Don't finish your night with this beer. It'll knock you on your ass. Very interesting though, and I wish I could session it.

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.