Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

a - poured a deep amber from bomber with a nice foamy tan head

s - notes of hops, citrus, and caramel

t - first get the bitterness of the hops, then a hint of citrus, with finish of caramel

m - full bodied and well carbonated

d - can only drink a few of these at a time, but definitely one to have again

ensign11, Jun 05, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

From a 22oz bomber

A-pours a beautiful copper red brown. This produces a substantial cream-colored head with strong retention. Lacing is even all the way down the glass. The bottle is a work of art, as is this exemplary brew. Never see comments about sound, but this was music to my ears from bottle to glass.

S-enticing, menacing. Even suggesting I am not worthy. Beckoning me to determine if I have the sophistication to appreciate this brew (you gotta read the label).

T-I'm too much of a neophyte to describe all the subtleties I enjoy reading from other reviewers. However, I immediately knew this is a substantial brew to be reckoned with. This is a complex, balanced, quality beer I will definitely be wanting again. Hop bitterness at the beginning that finishes with a pleasant sweetness. Can't fully describe the taste in between, but I think I am arrogant enough to be worthy of this very fine brew.

M-substantial yet smooth, even delicate. A definite sipping beer because you don't want to rush past any of its nuances. I love this beer.

D-22oz tonight will be enough since it is quite filling. 7.2% ABV is dangerously masked. I don't notice it in the taste. Very drinkable. So much so that I am actually glad it cost $5. I will treasure this one in the future, albeit sparingly, looking forward to each time with anticipation.

I have wanted to try this for some time now. Been in my fridge about 3 weeks. Tonight was just the right setting. In Salem, Oregon, we got an exceedingly rare tornado warning about 4:00 this afternoon and the storm that blew through disrupted my outdoor activity plans this evening. I wasn't arrogant enough to challenge the elements on my bicycle. So when I looked in the fridge and saw the gargoyle, I knew this was the right time. I had high expectations and was not at all disappointed. Except, when the last sip was over.

I love reading the label. I ain't ever going back to "tasteless fizzy yellow beer."

velosuds, Jun 05, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from bomber. Dark mahogany color profile with hints of caramel, spice, copper on the nose. Superb strong ale that drinks like a hybrid IPA, ESB, porter. Notes of coffee, hops and malt. This is always a good choice for a full flavored beer and goes well with heavy food.

HiAIPA, Jun 04, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Had on tap at Bella Luna/Milky Way on 6/3
This beer pours a gorgeous deep dark clear amber/red. Served without much of a head to it, but what was there retained quite well. Nice sticky lacing is left on the glass. Nose is surprisingly more on the hoppy side - citrus hops, some pine, but nicely blended with caramel malts. Taste is outstanding. Starts of with a big citrusy hop bite then leading in to darker malts, caramel malts and finishes with a slightly piney hop bite. This is an extremely well balanced beer that has big hop and malt presence but blends so well while moving in to the next flavor. Mouthfeel is medium body, low carbonation which works very well for this beer, very smooth almost creamy. This is a highly drinkable beer.

Jayli, Jun 04, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

This is a great beer. Always go back to this one.

Amber/penny in color.

Great hoppy flavor and aroma.

The mouthfeel is full and really makes you want to take another sip.

This beer got me into Stone Brewing, ever since I had the first A.B. I had to have other Stone brews.

Love reading the back everytime I have this beer.

GWEBB9, Jun 02, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

A - A hazy yet golden orange body...an off white head about one finger...settled into a cap and laced the entire glass

S - WOW...lots of hops in the nose...citrus...piney...with a strong malt backbone

T - As the nose suggests...the hops are there to kick you in the face...once again with the fruits (grapefruit) and pine...big and bold on the bitterness...the bitterness could be bigger but there are nice sweet malts present that just take the edge off

M - Medium bodied...smooth and creamy

D - I could drink this at any time...but you have to watch out...too many and you might become the arrogant bastard...good stuff!

thain709, Jun 01, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

22oz bomber poured into an oversized wine glass.

A: Dark translucent brownish. Very dark amber. Small head that hung around for awhile, nice lacing. It's a very nice-looking, darker beer.

S: Very fruity hops. Rich.

T: They got this right. The hops are fruity, strong, and bitter, but not overpowering. There's an undercurrent of sweet malt, almost caramel. There's some kind of strange spice to it, almost like cloves or allspice. The flavor is very bold, rich, and yet not overbalanced in any direction. I haven't had any of Stone's other offerings, but if this beer is any indication, they're a top-notch brewery. Truly outstanding.

M: Medium, good carbonation, smooth with a bitter finish. I like it. The mouthfeel doesn't do anything crazy for me, but I like it.

D: Very drinkable, but you should keep in mind that this beer is best served by slower drinking.

Epicedion, May 31, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +12.5%

Bought in New York, NY. Tasted on March 2nd, 2009.

Awesome! and I don't have to say more...

Longversion:

Pours as a dark amber color. Surprising... was thinking it was yellow... can't say why 'tho. Nevertheless, very good looking beer with a nice head formation that show good lacing on the glass.

Aroma: Hops with same roasted malts.

Taste: Bitter, Bitter... nice! Taste is more malty bitter than hops bitter. Very well balanced beer. Maybe some caramel notes? Not sure, will have to get another one! woohoo. :)

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a thin texture. Very drinkable... could drink this one all evening. However, after one, I would say, the bastard hit me good! :)

This beer is bitter from the start to the finish of each sip. Like I said above, simply awesome...

ZorPrime, May 28, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Enjoyed on 05.26.09 at The Counter in Westlake Village, CA. Served from the tap in a 14oz pint glass.

A: Poured a nice rusty ruby reddish color with a ivory colored head with a generous amount of lacing and retention. That head stuck around a long time.

S: Quite a formidable scent that stings the nostrils (gotta love Anchorman!). Lots of hops and fruits with the delicious smell of alcohol.

T: Big on the malts and big on the hops. Love the balance between the sweet caramel and toffee goodness coupled with pine and hops makes this quite tasty. Great finish, medium bodied.

M: Once you get past its strong hop presence, this beer has a lot to offer. Good carbonation as well.

D: Very nice for a 7%er.

ILikeGoodCider, May 27, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -18.3%

poured from a bomber into a large wine glass
a- the bottle is awesome, and the cap even said "you're not worthy!" lol . beautiful slightly cloudy dark amber color, average size head that hangs around, with excellent lacing. very inviting

s- about average, i was surprised at the lack of smell for an american strong ale. but the smell i did pick up was roasty and pine, coffee-like.

t- very well balanced, honey, mollasses, burnt toast. only SLIGHTLY bitter kick in the front followed by a dry finish

m- heavy, thick, medium carbonation

d- goes down fairly easy but i dont know if i would actually search for this beer to purchase it again

tj4288, May 24, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

A- Beautiful amber color with big tan head. Retention and lacing are unbelievable. Rivals Duvel's head, honestly.

S- Big hops, both citrus and piney. Nice.

T- A nice blend of piney hops and tasty toffee/carmel malt. Very balanced and very good, kind of like Old Guardian. Lingering piney aftertaste.

M- Creamy and medium bodied. Low carbonation despite the big head.

D- Beats out Double on this one. Definitely a great drink.

I think I like the bold/robust flavor of Double Bastard more than this, but I think I like this as an overall drink more--just more enjoyable, I guess.

LordAdmNelson, May 24, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Very fruity aroma; strong citrus smell

Beautiful amber color; nice even head;

Very strong pungent flavor; strong bitter hops taste; you will say, "Damn that is an arrogant bastard" after the first taste.

Smooth mouthfeel; Goes down easy;

Definitely a beer to consider when making a selection.

TitanTake, May 24, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Bomber poured into 36oz mug, huge three finger tan head, sticks around for quite awhile, coating the entire inside of the mug.
Smells of toasty malts, hops and more hops make way through the nose. Very pleasing.
Tastes bitter up front, rounded out very well by malts near the middle and leaves a nice after taste. May be one of the best I've tasted.
Mouthfeel is great one this one, not too heavy nor light, perfect for sipping and savoring or nice big gulps if so inclined. Carbonation is to a minumum, which helps with the swilling. High scores in this area.

BabyBastard, May 18, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

Well, I've been waiting to come back home to Virginia to try this one for a good while. I can't find it in Missouri!

A: Nice looking dark amber. It has an average head and nice lacing.

S: Smells like a barleywine.

T: Very nice. This is the best brew form Stone I've had. This tastes like a SA Boston Lager on steroids! To me, that is a good thing. I like that beer and this is similar, but much stronger and alot maltier. Sorry to base the taste portion off of SA, but it is the best description in my mind, as most people have had that beer.

M: Creamy, smooth, and well carbonated.

D: Pretty darn drinkable. I would love to try it oak aged.

johnnybgood1999, May 18, 2009
3.73/5  rDev -10.3%

"You're not worthy"
Poured out of a bottle into a properly cleaned pint glass.

A: Rusty red fills the glass as I pour. A thick, creamy, sticky, head begins to form as the beer nears the brim. Just the colour itself is dense.

S: I can smell the hop bitterness, toasted malts waft around next for some hints of coffee and....is that arrogance I smell?

T: Sweet and smooth at first, those malts present themselves in a mild bodied manner. As the beer rolls to the back of my tongue my taste buds get their asses kicked by hops after being lulled into something of a false sense of security. Complex, but not so much that my head and mouth hurt.

M: Once again, smooth. Enough fizz to pick the beer up and give that heavy malt and hops some....very little...lift.

This beer has been a bastard to my taste buds. It's teased them, confused them, and in the end made sweet tender love to them. But yeah, I'd do it again. If you can't handle IPA's don't bother with this. But if you want to spend $10 for a good time, pick yourself up a bottle of arrogant bastard.

GrimGuzzler, May 17, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Impressive frothy head. Beer is dark copper shade. Aroma of hops, nothing spectacular. Lots of medium malt flavor, brown sugar with a hearty dose of pine. Great blend of hop and malt flavors...the definition of well balanced. Unique and a pretty smooth brew for the style.
Also, complements to Stone on a great name as well as their painted labels.

GeezLynn, May 17, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours out a deep ruby color with some notes of brown. A massive off-white/yellow head forms that clings up and down the glass, making a very nice looking drink. I can smell the hops from a distance kind of fruity, and there are even some sweet bready, caramelly malts in there. Overall, a very nice mix of smells - almost straightforward, and sort of wavers between bold and subdued. I like it. The flavor comes up kind of like the smell. Not a harsh bitterness, but there's a good kick. Also, not a huge amount of hop flavor - I get some spiciness though, like mint almost in the finish, though I know clearly that quite a bit of hops were used in here. The maltiness shines through pleasantly, biscuity, kind of sweet. Overall, the taste is very nice. The mouthfeel is a little bit disappointing when compared to the rest of this beer. Mine seems a little watery, kind of clingy, and there's an odd burn (I don't think it's alcohol related) as it goes down. This one drinks pretty well. I mean, it's a well-executed beer. An old favorite of mine, which I'm finally getting around to reviewing, and I can say that I will probably buy more in the future. Recommended to all.

taylorhamrick, May 16, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured a nice deep amber with a huge light tan head and just tons of lacing coating the glass. Impressive.

No need to stick the nose in the glass, as you get big pine hop aromas as you pour. Some sweet malt in there somewhere, but good luck hunting for it.

Huge sticky pine hop bitterness upfront, with rich sweet caramel toasted malt in the background. I noticed the booze, but only after a couple of sips -- the hops hide it well. The bread toast element is there at the finish and then gone as the hops fight through for one last kick in the teeth.

Nice mouth-coating chewiness here. Carbonation is fair and appropriate.

I wondered how easy this would be to drink. No problem there, Went down very easy. Very very good beer.

OtherShoe2, May 16, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured from a bomber into a nonic.

Looks fucking amazing. Deep amber, barley color with an amazing head that sticks and leaves the entire glass covered with lace and foam.

Aroma is hops. Piney hops. You know what..that's it. Fucking hops with a little bit of malt. Hops...is that bad??? No, not too me.

Taste is extreme piney hops on the front. Middle is huge smells of danky club pot smoke and biscuits. The finish is dry hops and hops....and it's good. Bread and sweet malty biscuits. Absolutely no booze.

This is an outstanding beer, I want more.

wheatyweiss, May 16, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Arrogant Bastard
Solid, tight, light tan head. Good carbonation. Looks great.
Moderately clear, dark amber color and reddish hue.
Mostly malty flavors, some rich dark fruit and citrus.
The balance is malt heavy, but you get some great pine and grapefruit flavors from the flavor hops.

Mouthfeel is slightly syrupy. Good dry aftertaste.

Gump, May 13, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured a light amber red. Good sticky off white head that also had a great taste. Smell is very hoppy, also piney with a hint of citrus. Taste is very smooth. Nice bite of hops and pine with a slight metalic feel in the mouth. A little bit of the bitter stays on the tongue. Nice drinkibility, very smooth and easy to drink. Kind of surprising given the name. But easily one of the best of this style.

Liverpool08, May 11, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

Thank you Metalmonk. Believe the hype.

Poured into a shaped pint. Dark amber, kind of a caramel-plum color.
Head formed slowly, tiny bubbles that dissipated quite quickly leaving nice lacing.

Smell is hop/ alcohol forward, pine notes along with sweet, sugary-malty accents.

Bittersweet, caramel toned up by a nice piney hop kick on the back of your tongue. That nice hop bite almost totally covers up the alcohol, although when it starts to warm up there is a trace metallic taste in the finish. Even warmer and a bitter toffee flavor emerges and the brew really smooths out.

Mouthfeel is suitable for the style with decent carbonation (wish the was more.)

All in all this is a very drinkable brew. Would love a chance to try this on tap. Good offering.

BDLbrewster, May 11, 2009

I've had really mixed results from this beer. The first bottle of it that I had was absolutely outstanding. The second bottle was also outstanding. The third bottle was... let's say not so good. Okay, actually the third bottle was really pretty bad. I'm going to assume that I just had a bad bottle though, and rate it from the first couple bottles. It pours fairly dark with a nice piney scent, with a hint of citrus. The taste is just about what you expect from the scent. Hoppy... very hoppy... with a nice caramel flavor. The feel is good, and the drinkability pretty good. One bottle was enough for me. I'll eventually get some more of it, if I can get past the worry that I'll get another bad bottle. The bad one was really nasty... but when it's what it should be, it's a really great beer.

showell, May 11, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber, poured into a snifter.

Imposing deep reddish brown body. 2 fingers of puffy light tan head. Nice head retention. Extensive network of creamy, crackly and clumpy lacing. Seriously, there are clumps of head/lace hanging onto the side of the glass like a spiderweb.

Nose is all "big". Big sweet brown sugar and toffee, plus a hint of molasses. Big pine/herbal/citrusy hops. Healthy dose of booziness. Not doing this justice- it smells damned good.

This stuff tastes great. Caramelized brown sugar and black strap molasses burn up front. Lots of caramel malt sweetness. Plentiful dark fruit- raisins, dates, plums, maybe even cherry- and baked apples yielding to a earthy, piney, and citrusy hop explosion.

Medium full body with fairly vigorous carbonation. Chewy and sticky. Something about this beer invites you to chomp on it a bit and explore the complexity.

Overall impression: My wife's favorite beer, and for good reason. Somehow it manages to be aggressively malty and aggressively hoppy at the same time. Great brew, one I like to have in the old beer fridge at all times.

PDXHops, May 11, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a lot darker than expected. No hint of black or even dark brown, but just a very opaque redish gold. Thin head, but decent retention. Little visible carbonation. Good lacing.

Nose is a little fruity. The body of the beer is evident in the thickness of the aroma coming off the head. Lot of malt in this one.

Hits thick. Finishes thick. I don't even want to know how many calories are in this beer ... because I'm going to drink a lot of them. There's a hint of peatiness here (ala a scotch ale), but the alcohol leads you to a barleywine feel as well. A lot of complexity going on.

beer2day, May 09, 2009
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.