Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

*22 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.*

a: it's a dark, cloudy copper color with lots of head and thick lacing.

s: a great aroma of citrus and pine.

t: the slight taste of sweet malt hits the palate first, then it's a hops explosion. very intense hop flavor.

m: medium-bodied, medium carbonation.

d: very drinkable. one of my favorite beers.

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

I poured this one from a bomber to a pint glass.

Appearance: An Ice tea amber with a gorgeous half inch tan head that sank to less than a quarter and left a lot of lacing.

Smell: They say the style is American Strong Ale, but my nose tells me IPA. All grapefruit and grass.

Taste: I get a slight hint of roasted malt but it's almost eclipsed by the hop explosion that overwhelms the mouth.

Mouthfeel: Perfect. I know the abv is high but it still feels like a heavy pillow on the tongue.

Drinkability: This is a fantastic ale. I'm an amateur home brewer and for my next batch I'm gonna try to recreate something like Arrogant Bastard Ale, or at least get somewhat close to it.

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours with a good amount of carbonation and has a dark brown character to it.

Smell lightly sweet with dark malty undertones.

Taste is subtle up front, then the dark malty, hoppy bite hits. I really do enjoy the bitterness right here. It's tail is a nice, lingering roast that differs from the smell.

I find this to be quite drinkable for an angry beer. Well done!

Cheers

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Wow. I just drank a 1 liter of this with a big juicy Tbone steak, and all I can say is wow, what a perfect match.

Appearance: Thick, dark, reminds me of a very good Porter.

Smell: Bitter hops, slightly burnt smelling which was absolutely the only complaint I had about this brew.

Taste: Arrogant, powerful, aggressive. Mildly sweet, but very bitter. It reminds me of a very good strong black coffee with about 3 teaspoons of sugar... add some 90% cocoa dark chocolate and you've got a decent approximation of the flavor (though that really doesn't describe the whole flavor... you've really got to try it to catch all of what I mean).

Mouthfeel: thick, hearty, slightly sticky. Very smooth overall with just enough carbonation to enhance the flavor without damaging it.

Drinkability: Wow... this is a hard one. It's definitely not an accessible beer (people that aren't used to IPAs or generally good beers need to avoid this one like the clap). That said, this beer deserves to be a fixture in the beer cooler/cellar of all true IPA lovers. This also isn't something you can just shotgun in 30 seconds and be done with it. The complicated flavor really demands that you slow down and appreciate every sip while you savor every new aspect of it.

Overall: This beer is just too complicated for anyone that isn't used to good beer. If you want a simple, easily drinkable beer, this isn't the brew for you, but if you want something to savor that will really make you pause and consider it's characteristics, this is definitely something to look into. I'd say it's a sterling example of the IPA style.

3.95/5  rDev -5%

What to say about a beer that told me in advance I wouldn't like it...

In general, they were wrong, I did enjoy it. The first quarter of the bomber was spent just trying to orient myself to the extremely bold yet complex flavor of the beer. Once my mouth and brain adjusted I enjoyed the majority of the beer finding it to be bold obviously, but also decently balanced, only slightly too bitter for my taste as times. The final quarter of the bomber was a challenge however. I found the alcohol to really take over and the bitterness to be too much to handle. I did finish the beer, but considered dumping the bottom of the glass more than once.

Service: Pint. Drank to halfway then refilled with the remainder of the bomber. 50 degrees.

Appearance: dark amber, translucent but not cloudy. Very thick head, three-four fingers that stayed for half the beer.

Smell: Excellent, very hoppy but surprisingly inviting.

Taste: Described above. Generally balanced but very aggressive.

Mouthfeel: Unremarkable, I left neither impressed or unimpressed.

Drinkablity: Described above. For all the build up I was expecting something more undrinkable. I enjoyed the majority of the beer but would have preferred a 12oz bottle to a bomber.

4.41/5  rDev +6%

Rusty and translucent. I know this owes so much to the style, but this just nails the middle of the road for the perfect beer pour. Not so dark that it turns away the uninitiated, but not so pale that you wonder if it will have any flavor. Good head and retention. Had to elaborate here, as it is about the first 5 in any category I have ascribed.

Smells of hops. Need I say more?

Tastes quite dry up front, and end with a sweet note. Toes the line for bitterness. Well balanced, but a nonbeergeek could be turned off. That is a good thing.

Bitter and lightly bubble mouthfeel.

Drinkable.

Go get some.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Been a while since ive had a regular arrogant bastard. Bought this so I could review it.

Pours a nice deep amber color. Decent head and nice lacing.

Aroma of malty goodness. Caramel with a slight roasty aroma. Slight hop aroma in the nose.

Taste is great. I don't know why I don't buy this more often. Just as it smells. Great malty flavor with a nice crisp bitterness from the hops and little bit of roasted grains they throw in.

Mouthfeel is smooth and malty. Nice carb.

Overall it's an awesome beer that deserves a spot in the top 100. I need to keep this beer around more often.

2.44/5  rDev -41.3%

Poured into a tulip, a hazy almost-opaque reddish brown. Thick tan head made of mostly tiny bubbles with a few large ones interspersed. The head lasted pretty long, and leaves a ring around the edge and a little foamy glob in the middle that I like to save for the last sip like shooting an oyster. The sticky head leaves some nice lacing on the glass that leaves rings as I drink it down.

Smells like caramel and grass with just a touch of grapefruit, and pretty solidly that. There's not a lot going on in the aroma, which is nice. I learned the KISS principle in high school, and that was probably the best thing I learned there.

Taste is malty and bready up front with a nice floral hop finish. The middle of the taste is sort of musky-fruity. There is a strong and long-lasting alcoholic and bitter after-taste. The more of it I drink, the more I taste the grapefruit character from the hops.

Mouthfeel is a bit thick. Could use a bit more carbonation to lighten it up. Also, the alcoholic/bitter aftertaste is very off-putting and lasts an inordinate amount of time.

Drinkability: Okay, I get it...you're a big beer. And you don't really care what I think about you, you arrogant bastard. If you did, you might make yourself a bit more drinkable. This beer is harsh in my opinion. That isn't to say I don't like it, I can be a bit masochistic from time to time. I just wouldn't ever drink two of these in a row (in fact, I only finished THIS bottle because I can't bear to waste beer), but I suppose that isn't the point of a beer like this. Then again, what IS the point of a beer like this?

Eerie side note: On my second pour, the foamy glob that I noted before actually became three separate globs that looked just like a smiley face. Is that the gargoyle's soul laughing at me for not getting the joke? I must not be worthy...

3.71/5  rDev -10.8%

This bottle says enjoy by February 2011. This beer pours a deep, rich mahogany with a one finger beige head. It smells of bitter citrus hops and has a light sweet maltiness to it. It's very earthy. I'm definitely surprised by the level of hops in the nose. It tastes of bitter and very dry citrusy hops. It also has this slight woodiness to it. It drinks exceptionally smooth. I'm very surprised by this bottle. I remember it being a little more harsh the previous two or three times I'd had it. It's a very good beer but I couldn't drink more than this bottle. It leaves this strange, earthy and dry after taste that I'm not a fan of. It makes even finishing the bottle unappealing.

Stone always knows how to properly hop their beers in the manner they describe it... I'm never disappointed, when they say its going to be bitter or very hoppy it always is. As soon as you smell it you get that trademark Stone brewery pine smell with citrus and the sweet malt in the background. I love how Stone is one of the only breweries that gets that pine hop resin taste and mixes it real well with citrus hops. The malt really comes into play in this beer and almost reminds me of what some breweries would call a black ipa. It kind of reminds me of a hoppier Victory Yakima Glory but better. The roasted malt blends in so nicely with the resinous hop bite it gives. That's the word that sets Stone IPA or highly hopped beers aside from other breweries highly hopped IPA's...resinous. Nobody can ever complain they don't get an amazing hop flavor and bite unless its past due its expiration date. This might be even hoppier than their regular IPA they brew mostly because of the different hops they use and the roasted malt coming together for a more bitter bite. Amazing beer that regular beer drinkers might have a hard time drinking because of the intense amount of flavor this has. Beer never tasted so rich, potent and good. I don't think this brewery can make a bad beer. My favorite California brewery.

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

220z bottle poured into a tulip glass. Enjoy by date is 2/14/11. Pours an opaque reddish brown with three fingers of frothy foam. Good lacing. Nose is a bit subtle. Syrupy sweet roasted malt with a bit of bite from the hops. Full bodied with low carbonation. Drinks like a breast. Not too rich or syrupy in texture though. Nice, resiny hops cut the malty sweetness to make it more drinkable. Nice roasted, almost nutty flavors play on the palate before a wave of hop bitterness cuts through all that to the point that you think your palate might be ruined for the next sip. Bright, bitter hops linger on the finish. Every time I have this I am reminded how good it is. This is the definition of a classic microbrew.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

The beer that popped my "Stone Brewing cherry" years ago. Usually poured from a 22 oz. bomber into pint glass. Dark amber brownish body with light brown / off white frothy head with excellent lacing. Interesting aroma - Citrus, earthy, caramel, toast....overall gentle on the nose...but what a surprise thereafter! Taste is predominant bitter and woody, some spice. Bitter is not in a pale ale or IPA sort of way, and much more aggressive than smooth. Palate is moderatley thick and syrupy residue that lingers a good while. Depth and complexity that leaves you guessing and wanting more. A nice beer!

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%

I think this was my first of this style! Awesome, I had one bottle and went back for more. Poured a finger head with bright red body!! Color was awesome and the taste was even better. The smell of dark fruit and smoky!! Taste the same as smell with a great hop presence of grapefruit and zesty lemon. The smoky flavor was the last to leave. I could drink this all day!!

Next is the double Bastard and if it's anything like this I'm doubly excited!!

4.32/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from 22oz bottle.

A: Pours with off white head and dark amber color. No real carbonation to speak about here.

S: Dark fruit and malty notes in the nose. Also get some faint notes of hops but not a ton.

T/M: The hop character hits you right away with this. Very much different from the aroma, the taste is all hop. Really bold and in your face, but yet well balanced. Great malt backbone that helps keep the hops in check.

D: Really great beer that starts strong and continues throughout. Good balance and quality makes this a go to beer.

4.32/5  rDev +3.8%

22oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. This has always been a winner to me! Pours a dark copper with a nice fluffy white head and sticky lacing. Hoppy! Lots of fruity hops, blended with a musty/woody aroma. I'm picking up alot of grapefruit, lemon, and a slight amount of pine in the taste. The taste is very aggressive, but balanced; bittersweet. Mouthfeel is right on, rich and smooth; full-bodied. Drinkability is good, although this one can catch up to you, it's hard to stop drinking since it tastes so good.

Excellent offering from Stone! If you've never tried a Stone product, this is the perfect place to start. Classic brew! Recommended.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

S-smells great! full of hops but at the same time fruity.
A-amber, hazy with one finger of whittish head that recedes quickly.
T-Boom! its bitter, very bitter, but in a great way! Spicy and sweet, like there's caramel in it. This will be a great beer to pair with so many foods.
M-medium bodied, hop will hit you right away but goes away smoothly. Can't even stop drinking once I took my first sip.
D-so drinkable, and will drink again.

Vessel: Dogfish Head Signature Glass

What more can be said about this beer? It pours a beautiful dark brown with a nice fluffy head... lacing falls down the glass as you begin to drink much like a good IPA would have .

The taste is piney and hoppy at first sip but ends with a beautiful sweet caramel/malty flavor much like a British ale.

There is carbonation there, but not a lot. Smooth mouthfeel.

This beer is endlessly drinkable and is something I always keep a few bottles of to drink. Fantastic.

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

20oz pour in a large shaped pint-like glass at the Standard Pour, Standard (Sonora), CA.

This bastage is deep candy apple red, a little redwood and coppery. Its head is nice, it's a very nice pour by the nice young lady tending bar.

The nose isn't super harsh; hits of bitter citric hop, grapefruit rind, orange oil, and bitter alcohol. Yeah, it is a bit coarse.

The flavors are equally rough, with caramel dropped on top of bitter alcohol. Orange oil is bitterly fruity. Simple but tasty.

The mouthfeel is a little bit of a bastard, but the beer goes down smooth. It's expectedly rough with bitterness and alcohol but that's just part of it's character.

I still find the drinkability a bit dangerous, possibly more dangerous, on-tap. I do like this beer but it really isn't a favorite of mine. If I give the bottle another go I'll re-review because I think my score is a little high.

4.53/5  rDev +8.9%

Dark amber color, slightly hazy. About one finger off-white head with excellent retention and lacing. Vaguely peppery smell with some fruitiness underneath. Good mouthfeel with fairly minimal carbonation. The hops really come out in the initial tasting but finishes out smoothly. Stone Brewery products just became available in my area in the last year and this is the third example I've tried and is as good as the other two. Looking forward to more of the work.

3.8/5  rDev -8.7%

Bomber poured into imperial pint. Hazy dried blood red with a small off white cap with great retention and lacing. Smells of burnt sugar, candied fruit, resinous hops. Taste is bitter at first, mellowing out a bit to let the caramel and brown sugar maltiness through. Finishes bitter. Medium body and carbonation. A good readily available brew.

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%

A- Pours deep red/amber, almost purple, with a dark creamy head.

S - Hits you right away, hops and fruit. Some grapefruit, other citrus scents. A bit of 'earthy' smell as well, somewhat a mixture of flower and pine.

T - Very first sensation I get is pine needles. Starts a bit sweet with those fruity notes from the smell, before resolving into piney bitterness. Great amount of hops in this beer, almost peppery.

M - It neither coats nor dries the mouth. The pep of the hops settles near the back of the mouth. Mouth is left a little moistened for the next drink. Just nice and smooth the entire way

D - Remarkably drinkable. It hits you in the face, but it goes down really well. Can barely taste the alcohol in this beer.

Overall - Just a delicious, delicious beer. I love the balance in this beer, the bountiful amount of flavors and how the beer moves from sweet to bitter so seemlessly. Just outstanding

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Appearance -- Pours a burgundian ruby hue with two fingers of stiff khaki head. Thin drape of sticky lace. It's a bitter beast for certain.

Smell -- Juicy citrus, pine resin, musty vegetation (cannabis?), Caramelized fruits, . Slight solvent-like burn on the nose, but otherwise the alcohol is undetected.

Taste -- The hopping is dank and fruity: grapefruit rind, pine resin, leafy and musky hops. Bitterness is significant. Malting is on the sweet side with toasted malt, and caramel, bitter chocolate, and bread pudding. Mild mineral character is also present; this seems to be a Stone calling card. Additional dry amber/red malt flavor toward the finish. Lingering flavors of candied orange peel and pine resin.

Mouthfeel --Medium-bodied, a bit viscous, with well-balanced carbonation: feels somewhat gentle but still quite energetic. Lovely!

Drinkability -- This beer is a must-try, without question: wall of citrusy hop bitterness tempered by a well-malted base that brings to mind red ale-meets-barleywine.

Beyond being a great beer, this is an important beer in terms of the history of American craft brewing: its roots are in classic English brewing, but it doesn't conform to any pre-established style. Its imitators are legion, its equals few. While its spin-off beers may outshine it, there is no denying AB's mark on the craft beer landscape.

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

I never drink it out of the bottle. I have to pour into a glass to see the gorgeous amber color. The smell is unmistakable and I take a whiff before every drink. The taste is everything the bottle says and pairs with many Pub foods. Drinkability makes my first choice if I grab a beer from Stone. A good beer to take the training wheels off and really dive into the beer community.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

151st review on BA
On draft to pint

App- A nice dark amber/light brown with a 1 finger head that was a little darker than white.

Smell- Its a big scent to take it. Hits me each time I have drank this. Its very hoppy with citrus and some floral. Matly spiciness as well.

Taste- It's been a long time since I had one of these and it's a lot better than I remember. Its strong and it's meant to be as the flagship beer. Hoppy strong and a little spicy with some nice undertones.

Mouth-Medium bodied and medium carbed. Nice aftertaste.

Drink- It was very good especially paired with a green chili burger. Last beer of 2010. Thanks Stone for a great sendoff!

4.37/5  rDev +5%

I've had this so many times but apparently never stayed awake long enough to post a review.

A= amber-orange with a modest head and some consistent rimming and lacing.

T= beautiful, complex hops, both floral and bitters. Nice sweet malts, citrus, a complex boldness that needs to be experienced.

T= immaculate, inspiring, a "standard" in this style. Delicious, plentiful flavors, complex bitterness and floral hops yet nice sweet and possibly roasted malts and very light carramel notes.

M= very clean and true despite higher ABV and hoppy presence. Slightly grassy remnants, very light honey hints, dry malts and a variety of hops florals and bitters. A standard.

D= as much as you can 1) afford, 2) tolerate with the slightly elevated 7.2% ABV.

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.