Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
bigone4

Rhode Island

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a 22oz bottle. Dark amber color almost a dark ruby when back lit. Fluffy off-white cream colored head creating a mild lace down the glass. The head dissipated after a while. Smells of a nice malt sweetness. Mild tones of caramel and a light hop scent. Hints of a citrus scent hidden in the back ground. Nice nose with a very pleasant and distinct aroma. The taste was of a nice well rounded malt flavor up front. Roasted nutty malt flavors followed by a light sweetness on the tongue. Mild hop bitterness rounds out the well balanced flavor in the back of the mouth. This is a great full bodied brew. Great rolling flavor from start to finish. Very smooth and drinkable. Again another well crafted and tasty brew from Stone. I am glad to see that there beers make it to the other side of the US.

12-28-2006 14:58:21 | More by bigone4
bort11

Missouri

4.88/5  rDev +17%

With great thanks to SkinnyElvis for this one.

Shared with my wife over the celebration of the birth of my daughter, Sophia Grace.
22 oz bottle, poured into a tulip glass. Thick frothy head about a fingers width that receded to a mildly sticky lace. Color is a solid dark brown, just the slightest light penetrates around the edges of the glass.
Smell is mostly hoppy with a malt balance to it. Taste is exceptionally balanced between the hops and the malt. The hops hits you up front and then mellows out to a rich roasted malt. Mouthfeel is wonderfully full and creamy.
I wish Stone beers were available in Missouri. I would have this one hand all the time.

12-25-2006 05:58:40 | More by bort11
oakbluff

Manitoba (Canada)

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Appearance- deep red colour with a creamy white head. Smell is more sweet than hoppy which surprised me. Taste is a very balanced to me- the malts and hops are in synchronicity. I was expecting more of a hop blast- it may be that I have held on to this bottle too long and the hops has subsidided. No matter- still a classic west coast beverage. Or it the lack of hops could be due to my mouth being hammered into a submission by a Surly Furious a couple of hours earlier. Mouthfeel is rich with a medium to low carbonation. The head dissapated quite quickly in my pint glass. Overall- it would be a staple for me if I could just access it on a regular basis.

12-24-2006 20:07:02 | More by oakbluff
MiScusi

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

22oz bottle acquired December '06.

I love this beer as a strong ale. A rich translucent brown in color, with a tan head, the smell that initially hits your nose is fresh floral hops and citrus aromatics. The taste is a caramel maltiness up front with a long lasting intense bitterness at the end. Fresh wet hops are present throughout. As it warms, caramel is much more apparent in the aroma, and the lingering bitterness is much less than I remember the very first time I had it. This might be a beer that some people have to get use to for a while.

12-23-2006 07:48:22 | More by MiScusi
mhaugan

Arizona

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

This beer really started my love of good beer. I first tried this because of it's catchy name when at a bar in college. I have always been and will always be infatuated with the color of this beer. The head takes on a slight amber shade and the beer itself is such a unique bright amber color, that really is eye catching. The taste is amazing. Plenty of hops and a remarkable complexity.

12-22-2006 21:43:24 | More by mhaugan
CH3CH2OH

3.53/5  rDev -15.3%

Pours a dark, reddish brown with a two fingered tan head. Belgian lace forms on the glass as the head falls. Sweet pineapple aroma. Solid wollop of hop bitterness up front with some alcohol and tingling CO2 and dry bitterness in the finish. Some dry grass, barley taste in the background. Medium mouthfeel and very drinkable. Does not do an adquate job of showing a spectrum of hop taste, just bitterness. Many other IIPAs I would prefer.

12-22-2006 00:30:22 | More by CH3CH2OH
zuggy9

4.88/5  rDev +17%

This is a strong solid ale that is strong. Dark copper reddish poir with a tan head with mild retention. It has some citrus esters as well as a nice sweetness, coupled with good hoppiness. The taste is strong, robust and citrusy, with malt sweetness. A bit heavy mouthfeel, and adequately carbonated. Good drinkability, though it can sneak up on you!

12-21-2006 05:24:48 | More by zuggy9
cjhofelt

Washington

2.28/5  rDev -45.3%

Bought a bomber of this tonight because I've heard so many raves about it. I have to say, I was afraid this would happen. It's like this whenever the hype about something takes on a life of it's own. I'm surprised by how many of the top reviewers rate this so highly. I consider this "The Emperors New Beer".

I will say, though, the appearance of this beer is exceptional. It's a rich deep copper color with a dense inch or so of beige head. All beers should be this beautiful in a glass. It made me very hopeful that the beer would live up to it's reputation. The head stayed a long time and left an impressive lacing on the glass. It's a very well made beer, as far as looks go.

But those hopes evaporated when I smelled it. Don't get me wrong, I love the smell of hops. But that's all this beer has. Other beers, good beers, have something besides that. This is a very one dimensional beer.

Taste? Well, there again, I love hops, but I don't care to eat them as a meal by themselves. In fact, there isn't much flavor there, just an intense bitterness that overpowers any hop flavors that I know must be there. There is no subtlety to this beer. It's a real sledge-hammer approach to brewing. It reminds me of guys who enter chili cook-offs with the hottest chili that they can make, but forget that it has to taste good, too. It's like Yngwie Malmsteen's guitar playing. Yeah, he's the fastest, but it's not a race. Play something good, we know you have the skills.

Great mouthfeel, though. It has a very creamy body. Very dry without tasting overly alcoholic (which it kinda' is at 7.2%).

Not very drinkable, though. It was a bit of a chore finishing the bomber. I did, though, it was better than the Miller High Life Lite I tried the other day and couldn't finish.

Sorry, but I can't give this beer a better rating than this, I suppose I'm just not "worthy". Flame away, but, really it's a lame beer with a great marketing strategy. At least it's a well made lame beer.

12-20-2006 05:34:02 | More by cjhofelt
ypsifly

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

Undated bomber poured into an Arrogant Bastard pint glass.

Dark copper to crimson with a smallish head of light tan that shows some retention before falling into a fat veiled ring.

Lots of grapefruit in the nose. Some malty sweetness pokes out underneath but the has hop bomb written all over it.

The taste delivers what the nose promised. Lots of grapefruit bitterness, yet it is framed by just enough malt to keep it somewhat in check. Well rounded overall.

Moderate mouth that has weight with enough carbonation to keep it lively. Very drinkable for such a hop bomb.

12-19-2006 05:48:03 | More by ypsifly
Gatch

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. Bottle

Pretty intense but in a very drinkable way. The aroma brings your guard down, which is mostly a citrus or tropical fruit, like mango, but once you take a sip, it throws you back. I'd say the malt is most present in the aroma, but the hops are more prevalent in the taste.

A head of about 1 inch with a deep mahogany red color. Very smooth but strong palate presence. A subtle chocolate finish that leaves you wanting another mouthful and wanting to investigate more flavors. No alcohol presence, which is good. Definitely a great beer to enjoy at any time, especially at the price. Please drink this.

1/19 - Just had it on tap yesterday at The Yard House in Scottsdale. Wow, this beer is incredible. One of the strongest yet most drinkable beers I've ever had. I needed to edit this because the taste is crazy grapefruits. As soon as it hits your tongue, all the way until you move on to the next beer, it's all grapefruit. I love it.

12-18-2006 00:14:33 | More by Gatch
jrodvog148

Sweden

4.72/5  rDev +13.2%

First had this beer in NYC. Now available here in New Jersey....Thank the beer gods!

Has a great appearance. Pours almost reddish amber. Drank from a pint glass. Goes down smooth and leaves a pleasent aftertaste in your mouth. Be careful though, this smooth drink does pack quite the punch. I went through four glasses of these very quickly.

12-17-2006 17:59:14 | More by jrodvog148
Mdog

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance: Deep red, well carbonated, nice head. Great looking stuff.

Smell: Sweet malt with some pine/citrus hop highlights.

Taste: Starts with some toffee and roasted malt flavors before the citrus and pine hop bitterness takes hold.

Mouthfeel: Very long lasting bitterness.

Drinkability: I like them a little sweeter than this, but if I had to, I could drink this at a session.

Another great beer from Stone. Hopefully the rumor that they'll be distributing in Wisconsin in 2007 is true so I can have these more often. Good stuff!

12-17-2006 17:14:17 | More by Mdog
FtownThrowDown

On draft at Nicholson's in downtown Cincy.
Served in a pub pint glass.
Has a dark gold/brown color with a huge two inch head. That is frothy and plenty sticky. There was very good lacing that covered the entire interior of the glass throughout drinking.
Smell is mostly bitter hops, with some citrusy notes coming through slightly. Taste is bitter but refreshing at the same time. Mouthfeel is somewhat astringent but enjoyable at the same time. Becomes a little cloying after a while.
It's a very good offering on draft, however I think I could only drink a two pints of this at most. Would tire of the taste after that. Would highly recommend, a little more "relaxed" than served from the bottle.

12-16-2006 15:25:02 | More by FtownThrowDown
vickersspitfire

3.88/5  rDev -7%

This is one beer that will definitely throw off your senses; the first thing I smelled was a semi-strong sweet fruity fragrance that resembled some sort of exotic fruit basket. It pours out with a nice thick, light tan head that is a good contrast to dark amber red body of the ale- it’s almost like the picture perfect ale. However, it's mouth feel is creamy and is a bit rough around the edges, but it’s not harsh, and its has a great malty flavor.

12-15-2006 04:20:56 | More by vickersspitfire
Boto

Connecticut

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

22oz. Bomber. This one pours a bit "Thick". There was a bit of an off white head. The beer is a bit clear, and a reddish amber color. Extremely malty with a nice hop afterbite. Unique taste. There is a bit of fruitiness in there. It is very potent. This is one my wife will definitely NOT like. I am Worthy!

12-12-2006 20:43:37 | More by Boto
jcdiflorio

West Virginia

served into a nonic glass from a 22oz. brown bomber.
Talked my buddy Jeff out of this one, to finally get a review of this beer.

Hazy,reddish,brown color. Thick creamy off-white towards tan colored head.
Good retention with curtians of chunky lace going down the sides of the glass.

Good, fresh, pronounced hop aromas of citrus/pine even grapefruitty.
The aroma was also a bit fruitty.

Intense hop flavors of citrus/pine really gets grapefruitty as the beer warms.
Has an amazing crisp and clean taste even with all the hoppiness.
Carmelly and chocolaty, the malt flavors start to balance as the beer warms.
Finishes with a sharp,tart bite, a sweet,syrupy malt taste is left lingering on the palate. I needed all 22oz.of this beer to capture all the flavor.

A thick to medium mouthfeel,cloying and very tangy. One of those beers that just gets better with every taste. As for drinkability,I had no problem drinking a 22oz. bottle of this tastey beer. The more I drank the better it went down.
Seems like one of those beers that keeps growing on you. Wish I had another bottle. A must try beer,although it seems like everybody has already tried this one.

12-12-2006 04:17:46 | More by jcdiflorio
tempest

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

Jesus, why the hell don't I drink more of this?!

The beer was a nice ruby red with tan head and lacing. Strong aroma of grapefruit and sweet caramelized malts. Taste is a little different than I remembered. I've got strong pineapple and citrus hops, the pineapple surprised me. Overall a great, bold flavor than is still fairly drinkable.

12-09-2006 18:06:16 | More by tempest
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured a deep brown with a nice creamy head and thick lace throughout. Smell has a definate nuttiness as well as some hops, smells very thick. Taste is caramel and nutty as I expected from the smell, but has a nice dry hopped back. Very nice and smooth, leaves you wanting more. This is a definate keeper and a good way to welcome myself back home from vacation!

12-09-2006 03:07:28 | More by mikesgroove
SteveO1231

Connecticut

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

I decided to re-review this beer because either the beer is different or my palate has changed. Either way I will give this beer another review. Same ol' AB raised lettering, no freshness date found. Pours a dark brownish red, almost like blood with some ruby red highlights. Nice light tan head, thick and chewy. Nice spider webbed lacing in the glass. Low carbonation. Aroma of generous amounts of caramel malts along with a large American hop profile hints of damp wood. Smooth, full bodied texture. Pleasant caramel malt sweetness upfront. A refreshing juicy middle, tiny hints of chocolate. The hop is bold with a spicy/citrus hop bite towards the end. The finish has an earthy/ pine bitterness that leaves the palate pretty dry. This beer is strong yet very balanced. This sample was delicious. Perhaps my palate has matured. Perhaps the fact that I moved 3,000 miles away from getting a growler fill directly from the brewery on a weekly basis to not being able to purchase this beer in the state of CT has changed my opinion. Oh well, too much thinkin' not enough drinkin'! I really enjoyed this beer.

Cheers!

12-08-2006 02:27:13 | More by SteveO1231
pavandal

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured into my mug from a bomber. Easily the coolest looking bottle I've ever had. beer poured a very hazy iced tea color, which I was not expecting. Couldn't see through it. a half inch head formed at the top of the glass with a creamy, bubbly look. The haze really detracted from the appearance for me...

...But it made up for the look with the smell. I honestly smelled this for a few minutes before tasting. The smell was very citrus like, with lots of malt and hop spice.

As soon as you taste this your mouth is overtaken with hops, as I was expecting. It was balanced by a sweet malt backbone, but the hops are what this beer is all about. It had a very slight dark bread taste near the end, but again, the hops rule here.

An awesome beer to drink, it feels great in the mouth. Not super light, but light enough to make this an easy drinker.

High ABV, have a bomber and then stop.

12-07-2006 04:30:01 | More by pavandal
uabigdaz

Arizona

3.8/5  rDev -8.9%

Upon pouring I was able to control the amount of head I desired in my glass, which is nice because sometimes beer that is too hoppy just explodes, as I'm sure we all have experienced.

Appearance is a nice rich medium dark brown. Looks like a dark amber beer. Beautiful lacing and retention. Head keeps the beer covered.

Smells strongly of hops. I detect a slight hint of something nutty and malty, but overwhelmingly hops.

Tastes pretty damn good. Wow, no wonder everyone has been trying to get me to taste this one. This is a beer lovers beer, someone who likes macro domestics will snuff this one. Stong taste of hops which is balanced nicely. Strong taste of hops again, but I'm a pale ale/ipa lover, so this is perfect. Very decent tasting beer.

Feels a little thin. Thats my only problem with this beer really. When I poured it it looked like it was going to be thick and creamy, and the head indicates this as well, however, when tasted, it is a very thin, watery sensation.

I'm not sure of the drinkability of this one. At 7.2% and a bottle that comes with more than a pint, one of these is plenty to ease my night. Poured for me about two glasses worth, although obviously not full pints, but nice enough servings to keep me happy.

If you have not tried this one, try it. If people have been telling you you would like this one, you will. I felt like it was going to be a hoaxy beer because of the name (and the price which was nearly 3 dollars for the bottle at CVS), but this is a legit beer. Try it.

12-05-2006 02:28:12 | More by uabigdaz
ppoitras

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

22oz bottle purchased as a single from Yankee Spirits, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 3/4" dark tan head over the clear burgundy red brew. Hearty holds on well, with ample lacing. Aroma is dominantly hoppy, with citrus and pine powering the experience. Taste starts a bit lacking in my mind, not as richly malty as I would expect. But never fear, the hops kick in a take over, with bursts of bitterness that impress, without making you cringe from overdoiung it. Mouthfeel is smooth for such a hoppy offering, and drinkability is dangerously good. Had this many times, just never got around to reviewing, reminds me why I keep coming back.

12-04-2006 21:59:39 | More by ppoitras
ByTor2112

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured a deep amber bordering on a nice shade of Brown with thick bubbles rising to a toffee colored head that maintained a nice solid film.
Aroma-thick piney hops, a nice fruity citrus aroma, I get a nice peach note on a deep inhale. I drank one of these and did not review it back in September. First on the palate, surprise its hops! Not sharp but but a compact and fully layered taste. The malt can be tasted with a nice caramel flavor. A full spectrum of hops is tasted throughout from earthy to minty to bold to floral to a serious citrus zing! I really LIKE the AB but I find that I LOVE the IPA. Reviewers note: As I went to pour the last few ounces to my glass, I swirled quickly, foamed it up and poured it aggressively into my glass forming a huge head. I was able to drink a wonderful
hops " shake " if you will. this is another killer way to experience the massive hop profile of this brew.

12-04-2006 04:32:21 | More by ByTor2112
Beerzebub

4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

Dark red-orange color. With a vigorous pour, a finger of dense beige head. Goes down, but reappears with a gentle swirl. Substantial lace.

Smells like sweet malt, citrusy hops, dark fruit, brown sugar, some spice.

Big flavor, delicious. Rich sweet malt well balanced with orange rind, grapefruit, and pine hops. Some nutty roastiness. Very refreshing hop bitterness, and plenty of it. Long finish, mostly bitter citrusy hops.

Creamy carbonation, and somewhat sticky. Quite drinkable.

Great.

12-02-2006 08:28:15 | More by Beerzebub
MVassar

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Rich molasses appearance, with a touch of gold. An old-fashioned egg-cream head. Very enticing.

Smell: Doesn't share a lot, but some subtle caramel and malt. A hint of citrus.

Tons of flavor. Bitter hops and malt, with plenty of dark fruit and sweet caramel. A potent bitter grapefruit finish.

Very creamy, with lots of carbonation. Excellent, with a slightly rough edge.

A hearty, rich, full-bodied ale, with balance and power. Will happily drink again.

12-02-2006 02:23:06 | More by MVassar
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.