Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

From the 22 fl. oz. bottle with no marked lot code or expiration date. Sampled on July 2, 2009. The pour was anice looking amber brown with a significant supply of frothy beige head that filled up a quarter of the pint glass. It gave me a foam moustache! The aroma was a kind of floral malt mixture, which I know does not make a lot of sense but that is how I define it. Nice though. The taste had a nice balance of hops which countered the 7%+ ABV, which I barely even noticed. No wonder everyone lies this one.

puboflyons, Jul 03, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

22 oz. bottle at refrigerator temperature poured into a snifter.

A - Pours a ruddy dark brown, slightly hazy, with a modest one finger head that becomes splotchy across the top of the brew.

S - Piney, citrusy hops and a big, sweet, malty background. Nothing too deep or esoteric here, but it's not trying to be funky or terribly complex. This smells like American ales should smell!

T - The hop bitterness is well-complemented by the bready, sweet malted barley flavors. Usually, big ales have a tough time keeping the balance through the finish, but I give props to Stone for brewing a bold strong ale that finishes so smoothly and well-integrated.

M - Good carbonation, not too syrupy despite the big, sweet malt flavors - again, everything works well together.

D - This is a highly drinkable brew that could very easily be confused as a session brew. The 7.2% sneaks up on you, as it is so deep and enjoyable that you'll drink it more quickly than you should. I would drink this brew with good BBQ, a burger, a well-aged Gouda, or Mexican food. As good as it gets for a big American ale.

vrazionale, Jul 01, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

I was really looking forward to this beer as I had heard so much about it. Let me tell you it didn't dissappoint! Everything about this beer delivers, from the excellent deep coloring to the great head of foam, to the complex series of flavors. Every sip brought a new nuance of flavor that kept me wanting more. The only drawback to the beer is that it is slightly heavy to be a session beer, but it is definately the first beer I will grab when I start off the night.

OldeEnglishD, Jun 30, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a burnt honey color with a very thin, barely a rimming of off-white head.
Smells got a bold citrus/sweet aroma with some malt character.
Taste has a bitter malt notes with sweet hops and a twinge of cherries on the very back.
Finish is crisp with a bitter/citrusy/sweet after-taste.
Drinks incredibly smoothly and is very refreshing, zero bite here.

ThaBobfather, Jun 30, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

This has been one of my go-to beers for the past year...it's like an angry friend, except it's there to comfort you in your times of need (i hope that didn't sound too alcoholic...i kid, i kid!).

22 oz. bomber poured into the SN pint glass...massive five finger head...pillowy toffee head with great stickage and lacing...deep crystal clear ruby body...great head retention.

Huge neutral mix of grapefruit and pine...some burnt caramels and smoke with whiffs of dark fruit and leather.

Sweet grapefruit and sticky pine melding into one masssive hop profile with a strong malt backbone...slightly biscuity with a bruising bitter finish.

Oily and chewy at times, low on carbonation...

Excellent drinkability for the style...

I can drink this aged and fresh...a very versatile beer from Stone that never disapoints.

BitterPachyderm, Jun 29, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

22oz bottle poured into a square mug.

Thick, toffee colored head with a little lacing. Nice dark color with bold smell, taste starts as a slight bitter coffee taste that turns an almost sweet finish. After the beer breathes for awhile other spices start to develop. A complex beer that is up at the top of my list for sure.

CLBizzle, Jun 29, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

a- bomber poured into a mug, finger and a half frothy cream colored head, head lasts forever, very dark brown coloring, still can't see the lacing because the head is still a half inch, leaves head rings on the glass, now i can see the lacing, it's terrific, covers the whole top, really beautiful brew, not to mention a really great, clever bottle design.

s- grapefruit, slight pine, hoppiness, caramel malt.

t- i get fruitiness (grapefruit), floral hops, little pine, but as hoppy as it is, it's equally malty and caramelly, it's topped off with a gush of alcohol at the back end, super complex, very interesting, i'm sipping at it.

m- a little slick on the tongue, medium bodied.

d- it is drinkable, i definately wouldn't session this bad boy, i think i'd be on my ass, the cool bottle doesn't lie it's not for the faint of heart, but really great none the less.

thecarster1, Jun 29, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Let me first start off with I've been drinking this bad boy for about a year now and I'm starting to notice a lot of major grocery stores are selling Arrogant Bastards; I was excited at first, but I realized that the majority of the individuals buying AB were buying it purely for the reason of the name and art design! This pisses me off as a beer lover! A beer is like a book, don't judge it by its cover!

Now to the review

Appearance- Pours a beautiful dark crimson/redish color.

Smell- The smell is heavenly! Nicely bitter and hoppy. I think I spend more time smelling it than I do drinking it.

Taste- This beer really works my tongue down to every taste bud. Its Dry which reminds me of drinking a coke on a hot day, it leaves that satisfying burning sensation in my throat. The hops are wonderful, the perfect balance; and the after taste adds compliments to it

Mouthfeel- feels great, and very hard to explain. Simply put its like a massage on my tongue.

Drinkability- Its very drinkable. However, I choose not to drink it everyday. I save it as a special occasion beer, because every time I've had this beer its been memorable.

santomark, Jun 28, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving glass: Poured from bomber into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Slightly hazy burnt red with lasting head and layers of lacing down the glass. Very pretty.

Smell: Mostly dry malts and pine, some citrus and fruit.

Taste: Semi-sweet fruity malts upfront, which quickly turns to a very flavorful pine and citrus hop middle, before ending with waves of bitterness. Detect some spiciness from the hops at the end as well.

Feel: Low carbonation with a full, very smooth body. Finishes quite dry.

Drinkability: My first American Strong Ale, but I really like this and want more. Good thing it's a bomber and I am only half done.

I know American Strong Ale is a catch-all, but this one seems halfway between an IPA and an American Barleywine. Also somewhat reminds me of Furious.

bsp77, Jun 27, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

This beer is a very versatile beer and should be enjoyed wherever and whenever!

Appearance - deep rich mahogany red that is clear and consistent throughout. Produces airy head that is off-white to light caramel hue. Minor lacing.

Aroma - bitter initially with a citrusy glow showing through after. Malty as well with some coniferous waft.

Taste - Incredible. Like the smell, it hits you with a quick bittery punch but mellows out as other flavors come out. The main citrus taste is of grapefruit.

Mouthfeel - Slight carbonation that is not too strong to take anything away from the rest of the experience, which in my opinion is very important. The feel is semi-dry with minor stickiness.

Drinkability - A full flavored beer with impeccable balance. It leaves a lasting impression to encourage you to pop another one open.

Excellent beer that you can enjoy anytime. A true Stone.

OakedCanuck, Jun 26, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

On tap at Daddy-Oh's in Toledo...

This brew is a rich, deep mahogany-copper. The head pours about one finger and leaves wisps of lacing on the glass.
Hops and roasted malts with a muted caramelized sugars and some toasted grains are on the nose.
The flavor follows the nose well enough, though the hops character seems to mellow as I sip and it seems a little muted from the tap. The sweetness that was underlying in the aroma comes out a bit more strongly on the tongue.
This brew is smooth with a medium body.
Drink this. I can't wait to grab a bottle, as I think a bottle pour will make for a stronger bouquet and open this one up a lot.

Brenden, Jun 24, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Appearance- Deep red-amber with thick light tan head that settles slowly. Decent lace.

Smell- A perfect balance of toasted caramel malt and bitter, citrusy hops.

Taste- Dry, bitter hops, again balanced by crisp, caramel malt. Roasty, with a bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Medium body. Great carbonation.

Drinkability- The beer that got me hooked on craft beer years ago is still one of my favorite ales to sit around and drink in cold or warm weather.

endincolorado, Jun 24, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours a rich mahogany like color with a vibrant lightly tan three inch soft marsh-mellow like head. Great head retention on this bastard. As the head slowly makes its way back down making islands of foam and leaving scattered lacing all throughout my glass. The islands soon disappear leaving a creamy and milky top layer of foam.

Malts dominate the smell, sweet breaded malts, nutty, brown sugar, almonds.

Sweet malts upfront with caramel note and a nice balance of hop bitterness for this to not turn into an all malt bomb.

Medium bodied with high carbonation.

Well this was my first bastard and it was pretty decent, I' am now much more interested in getting the oak aged bastard.

tr4nc3d, Jun 24, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Very dark brown with some reddish tints (in the right light), "off-white" foam.

S: Not as intense an aroma as you might expect. Some dark fruit, caramel, and hops.

T: The first thing you notice is the intense bitterness, which I love. There are some subtler caramel flavor.

M: Great mouth feel: good amount of carbonation. The bitterness comes into play here as it lingers.

D: A great beer, but I would not call it very "drinkable". Something I'd recommend trying, however.

womencantsail, Jun 22, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance: Very dark brown with a beautiful tan head, good lacing, excellent carbonation.

Smell: Sweet, nutty, malty.

Taste: I can't really come up with a good description. Sweet, nutty, coffee, molasses, roasted nuts maybe.

Mouthfeel: Creamy & full bodied

This is a great beer. I could enjoy several in a session.

donmonkey1, Jun 19, 2009

Reviewed and submitted on 6-19-09

I got this guy at Davidson's in Denver when I was down for a weekend of family stuff. I had heard a lot about it so I grabbed it the first time I saw it. I'm glad I did.

Appearance - A firm pour gave me three fingers of head perched atop a burnt red mass of goodness. The head subsided with in minutes and added a bit of lacing to the glass all the way down.

Aroma - Earthy, orangy and a little earthy hops right away. After sitting it down for a minute, the next whiff gave me pears and caramel. Odd...

Taste - It starts with a big bunch of sweetness followed by a bucket of bitter. I got brown sugar and caramel with some fruitiness and then the bitter truck shows up which leaves an almost stinging bitterness that can only be quenched by another drink. As it warms the malt seems to give a toasty and grainy version of itself. I keep getting a small but unpleasant dose of alcohol with each drink. I don't feel like it enhances the brew at all.

Mouthfeel - This guy is creamy and thick. It definitely encouraged picking the glass back up and having another swallow.

Drinkeriness (because I hate "drinkability") - It's best described by the inner dialog I noticed myself having during this review: "Why does it take so long to take these notes? I should be drinking this beer instead of writing about it." The taste makes you want to drink a few of these (if I had another) but the bit of alcoholic taste makes me slow down the process.

Overall, this is a great beer. I'm really happy that I went (way) out of my way to grab this when I had the chance. I definitely be doing my best to get ahold of another one when I'm in a Stone-friendly area.

Wutz, Jun 19, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

well... just what you would expect from Greg.... a beer named for him... JUST KIDDING!!

I think that what Stone is doing is great. Greg Koch has brought the beer that is brewed on the left coast to the peak... With the epic series... and the other beers Stone is brewing I never pass up a bottle of something new when i stop at the beer store.

Arrogant Bastard... the redish appearance almost makes you think that you are going to drink unfermented carbonated wort... But on the first sip you realize that you are drinking an arogant bastard of a beer....

GweedoeBRew, Jun 18, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

A - Pours a clear, dark brownish red color with about two fingers of thick, frothy off-white head. Good retention throughout drinking and leaves intricate lacing down the glass.

S - Spicy, citrus and pine hop aromas with a sweet toasty malt presence.

M - Quite similar to the nose. Great, complex hop flavors with hints of citrus and pine and spiciness. Has a nice, crisp, bitter bite. Balanced with ample caramel maltiness. Really a very tasty beer.

M - Medium bodied with a moderately resinous feel. Nice and smooth going down.

D - Very tasty, drinkable offering. Full flavored and nicely balanced. Definitely one I will return to again.

GarrisWH, Jun 18, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

served in tulip

a: nice appearance, great head and color. rich dense foam and retention, dark tan color and silky. dark crystal clear copper color. the looks might be the best part of the beer

s: some aroma but light, not as up front as I was expecting. nice spicy hop aroma with rich malt in the background but it doesn't punch you in the face

t: good flavor, spicy hops, a lot of bitterness, maybe too much and deep caramel flavors with a big sweetness that is cut well with the hops

m: big mouth feel, but with good carbonation crispness. the lingering bitterness is ok for awhile but then becomes annoying

d: not very drinkable. ok for a big beer, hop heads might disagree.

Naugled, Jun 17, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

This was my first Stone beer and it very quickly became one of my top 5 favorite beers. Poured the bottle into an arrogant bastard glass. Poures a wonderful dark red color with a thick white head. The beer is all about the hops mixed perfectly with hints of carmal and vanilla. Wow what a great tasting beer. The pine and citrus keep coming in and out throughout. Lots of malts to back the huge amount of hops. Nice long hoppy bitter finish. Great beer. Only problem is two bomber is enough for me although I want to keep drinking. Liquid gold.

atpben, Jun 16, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

pouted into two glasses, one tulip and one snifter.

Pours a copper/redish brown. has a nice off white that gets about 1-2 fingers thick in these glasses, but lasts a while. leaves decent lace. Smells hoppy, almost similar to the IPA. Hits of citrus and caramel. Almost if they mixed the ipa with the stout, but not as strong in either direction. It's a strong flavor, but not overwhelming.

Anthony1, Jun 16, 2009

Had this on tap at Falling Rock

Pours a 2 finger white head, body is dark brown with amber highlights. Head retention and lacing are good

Smell is of sweet fruit, caramel malt, and faint earthy hops

Taste is of roasted caramel malts. There is also some dry fruit too, maybe prune. Hops are in the mix but are secondary. The after taste is slightly metallic with some alcohol but not much. The more I drink it the more it tastes like a blend of a light barleywine and a Doppelbock.

Mouth feel is good. Nice balance of carbonation. Medium body with some creaminess in the head

Drink ability is also good. Alcohol isnt very present so it is semi session able but very flavorful. Over all this is a great beer and always a reliable choice

angelmonster, Jun 15, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

appearance- dark brownish red in color with two finger head that comes down to a one finger with lacing visible.

smell- hops and sweet smell.

taste and mouthfeel- great hop flavor with roasted flavor in the background with a nice medium mouthfeel with good carbonation.

drinkability- wish i could've had more.

great brew.

heath1agnew, Jun 15, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a pint glass. Pours a dark amber brown with a thick tan head. The head thins but sticks around, with a large amount of lacing.

Aroma is strong hops. Taste is very hoppy, with strong hop bitterness and spice, and a background of malts. The big flavors stay in your mouth. While I wouldn't exactly call this easy drinking, I could definitely drink a few of these.

mjaskula, Jun 09, 2009
3.73/5  rDev -10.3%

22oz. bottle poured into my Duvel glass. No bottle date or drink by date present. Awesome looking label though.

(A)- Pours a medium reddish brown/mahogany that has a slight cloudiness to it. The off white head was at least 3-fingers and is still staying strong! Its almost thick like Cool Whip!

(S)- Rather closed and tight in the smell department. However, I am getting a mix of hops and malts. A small bite of some spice and lemon-pine coming through.

(T)- Wow, serious hops blast at the beginning that really coats the tongue with the telltale bitter, lemony-citrus pine essences of hops. It then mellows out at the end into an interesting tea-like flavor; like a fruity Earl Grey or Darjeeling tea with some honeyed malty sweetness.

(M)- It has a good carbonation level that intermixes well with everything else. The 7.2% alcohol is hidden really well, so it can be deceiving! Its got a good bite to it, but is also smooth on the finish. Good complexities of both flavor and texture. It actually reminds me of Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot Barleywine to a certain extent.

(D)- The balance of bitter and sweet really brings out some complex flavors in this guy. The alcohol is hard to find amidst the bittersweetness, but it could sneak up on you after a few, but I definitely wouldnt mind having 2-3 of these no problem.

sweemzander, Jun 07, 2009
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.