Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

A: Beautiful deep polished mahogany color with a full creamy head. Absolutely beautiful to behold. Head stands for ages and leaves a wonderful trail of lacing.

S: Hops of all over the nose on this one. Toasted malts are also a major player, but the hops are definitely at the fore.

T: What can I say? Just like the Oaked version this is an exceptional brew. Lots of complex malts and sweetness come forward, set off by a strong, but not overpowering, hop flavor. There's caramel, coffee, and even a hint of bittersweet chocolate in there.

M: Smooth is the only word to describe it. The carbonation is just right. Medium in body and gives way to a semi-dry finish.

3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

Look - A dark amber that is on the red side of the spectrum. Nice head; sticks around for the entire time you're enjoying the beer.

Smell - Hops and Carmel...enough said.

Taste - You're instantly hit with a rush of hops and carmel; a bitter taste that will stick with you long after you've completed the beer. One of the more bitter beers that I've enjoyed. I would almost call it arrogant.

Feel - Smooth, good mouthfeel.

It's a good beer, but has quite a bit of carmel and hops in the taste. I enjoy a beer with a good amount of hops, but I would have liked a little less carmel taste.

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

The world needs another AB review like a sharp stick in the eye. And yet, here we are.

Appearance- A deep amber color. A half inch of white head, nice lacing. Very sticky.

Smell- Hop burst. Lots of citrus and grapefruit. Some pine and dank. A hint of roast. Nice.

Taste- Hops. Pine. Very bitter. Caramel malt follows. Lots of pine on the finish. A hint of burnt caramel.

Mouthfeel- Creamy. It's a little syruppy and I'd like some more bubbles.

Drinkability- Bitter and syrupy. It's nice and aggressive.

It's iconic for a reason. Definitely an interesting beer.

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

I only got this beer because of the name. I definitely recommend trying it just for the experience

A: It was good, lots of color, nice head.

S: Full of interesting smells. The smells almost outweigh the presence of the beer and give a false impression, but still good.

T: Very hoppy, much more than expected. AB has a very distinctive after taste.

M: I am not a fan of the in your face feel. I would say that it gave me the impression of drinking an IPA or NB.

D: I can only drink maybe 20oz then I am done. It is a good beer to have a bottle of, but a 6-pack is too much for me.

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Reviewed from notes made on 10/29/10.

A: Pours an exquisite dark mahogany, bordering on brown, with a one finger beige head that results from a medium pour into a snifter. The head slowly goes away and leaves little onion-looking guys and some big old bubbles in the film that retains on top of the beer. Thick, chunky lacing coats the side of my glass.

S: A grassy, citrus hop smell leaps out of the glass and into my nose. Lemon, lime, and orange meld with freshly cut grass to create a great, fresh smell. A caramel malt backbone adds a thick sweetness to the smell and the house yeast contributes a dry biscuit presence.

T: The citrus, grass, and bitter hops assert their bold flavor immediately, then the caramel malt mellows out the flavor until the bittering hops kick in and leave my mouth with a very dry, tobacco-like aftertaste.

M: The feel of this beer is varied and intriguing. The hops ride their bitterness bike all over my mouth for the duration of the sip, while the sweeter malt element provide a nice coating, medium bodied experience for my palate.

D: Arrogant Bastard has a really enjoyable flavor and a solid mouthfeel that lead to a solid beer that I will enjoy many more times in the future. It's strange, though... maybe I've just gotten so used to drinking big, bold beer, but AB is not nearly the beast that I remember it being when I first tried it. Now I just think of it as a well crafted, solid beer.

3.97/5  rDev -4.6%

Got a pint at the North Star Bar in Philly. Pours a deep dark amberish brown with nice little tan head. Smells of caramel, vanilla and a nice dose of floral hops. A little bit of toasted and burnt malts are present. Slightly citrus like but not a lot to ruin the complex aromas going on. A thick tasting brew to begin with. Tastes like molasses and finishes with brown sugar. Starts dry & ends slightly bitter. I dig the toasty quality of the malts. Caramel quite evident but has a good dose of roast. As noted previously, this is quite a nice complex beer to sip & savor. Alcohol warmth a little noticeable which makes me think the drinkability isn't all that high.

Update: had this again on Thanksgiving night 11/28/13. Bought a 22 at Pinnocchio's in Media for $6. Enjoy by date = 1/4/14. Beer is very hop forward with piney hops (Chinook?) and some accompanying citrus. Bitterness is really in your face like a full -on hop assault. Malt complexity give this beer a great backbone. Excellent beer to wind down with football after eating a ton on the holiday. Great nightcap beer.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Light is in a struggle of its life to emerge through, like a newborn child from the womb, but it is miscarried before emerging from the other side.

Notes of smokey caramel saunter up my perceptive nostrils. The aroma totally fills the glass. I can just barely take my nose out of it. In addition, some smokey oakey red fruit is perceptible.

Fruity, hoppy tones on the taste buds- very delicious. Malty sweetness shines through in all its glory throughout the aftertaste. A strong beer but a very well balanced 7.20%ABV. This would go perfectly with a big steak..and some lasagna.

I like this beer.

Reviewed from notes

Poured into a pint glass from a 22 oz bottle

A- Dark amber in color, big white head, lots of lacing.

S- Hops and pine, seems to to be a lot of malt in the background.

T- Citrus and pine dominate a carmel background.

M- Medium body, good carbonation.

D- Good thirst quencher, will look for again.

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

Bought this beer in a bomber-sized bottle. Pours a dark amber with a caramel colored head. Smell is deep and rich with lots of malt. Mouth feel is thick and chewy. Taste is potent (hence the name) but refined. Smooth enough for me to drink more of these than would be good for me. Very full-bodied beer well worth the price and availability where I live.

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into my Sierra Nevada tulip.

a - Pours a mohogany-brown amber color with one and a half fingers of off white fluffy head that has decent retention. High carbonation evident and a little bit of lacing left on the glass.

s - Smells of caramel malts, fruity malts, and fruity hops. Light pine and tropical fruit.

t - Tastes of caramel malts, fruity malts, bready malts, and citrus hops. Some slight bitterness in the taste as well thanks to the hops. Tiny bit of alcoholo comes through as well.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - A pretty good strong ale. Definitely a lot of malts coming through in the smell and taste, but the citrus hops come out nicely in the taste to create a little bitterness. Have had many times and will have again.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

1 Pt bottle, enjoy by: 11 29 10

Pours a deep clear brownish amber with a thick foamy head. Sticky lacing all around the sides of the mug, good looking brew.
The nose is sweet malts, a toasted biscuity auroma and citrus hops. Smells well rounded and blended with a purpose.
First sip yeilds the strong ale kick upfront, bitter on the palatte following a long dry finish. Tastes of the malt and barley stick around. Thick mouthfeel and good carbonation.
Overall drinkability on the Arrogant Bastard Ale at 7.2% is moderate, the pint size is great for this session and warrants a subsequent purchase next beer run. Solid Stone beer and I'm looking forward to trying more from these arrogant bastards (bottle label reads quite funny).

Serving Type - 22oz bottle

Appearance - Tanish/golden brown, with some red, huge 3 inch creamy head

Smell - Hops, malts, yeast, alcohol some spices and malts

Taste - After years of having this, i decided to try it again. Nice hop punch mixed with yeast and some spices to create a well-known beer in the craft world. Its more mild then i remember. Go's down very smooth, but has enough kick to let you know this aint your regular half-a$$ american beer.

Mouthfeel - Its hoppy, and a little dry, so after a drink, mouth is a little bitter but nothing to worry about, you can drink this one farily easy. Coats pallete with hops and spices, leaves mouth happy

Drinkabilty - This 22 oz is perfect for a sitting. This has just enough alcohol in it. I could handle 3 12 oz's, but thats all. After having this, i now know that great lakes Nosferatu was created to compete with this beer, though nos is slighty more hoppy and stronger. Great beer, will drink again

3.94/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Aroma here isn't too powerful...there are some pine hops and a bit of caramel malt...but honestly, it's somewhat faint compared to expectations.

Pours a clear brown in the pint glass....head of about 1/2 inch or so...pretty good retention.

Taste is a pretty good marriage of sweet, caramel and toffee malts plus a pretty good degree of pine bitterness much like that found in a standard IPA. The sweetness hits first and is quickly joined by the hoppiness. The bitterness lasts well into the aftertaste with a citrus peel kind of character....a little smacking sweetness also hangs around. Alcohol is completely masked. Mouthfeel is fairly thick. I'm impressed with the balance here. It's really a struggle between the sweet malts and the hops and while the hops really do "win" by being a bit more aggressive than the malts, it's still pretty well balanced.

I like how the label says that this is an "aggressive beer". To those who like craft beer, it isn't anywhere close...however, to a macro drinker I suppose it would be.

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%

I can't believe I never reviewed the Arrogant Bastard, a beer I truly love. Here it goes ...

A : Very murky rust red/brown wit ha nice finger tan head that leaves a little clingy lacing. Menacing is the best description for this color.

S : Pine and floral qualities from hops, with caramel and sweetness binding it together. Potent.

T : Just like the nose, except more hoppy than malt. Very aggressive in pine, with only notes of caramel dotting the surface of the tongue.

M : Medium bodied and tacky to the mouth. Good bit of carbonation, plenty of tinglyness.

D : It's a favorite for a reason, and that's because it's undeniably unique to Stone. It reminds me of my first taste of whiskey, a real kick to the mouth at first but eventually you succumb to wanting it again and again. Bonus points for possibly the most badass name in beer as well.

4.32/5  rDev +3.8%

Appearance - Deep redish brown, with an off-white colored head. It is hard to see through the beer. Lots of lacing, the head isn't that large, but it is retaining well.

Smell - Mostly getting a malty smell off of it, has kind of a sweet syrup smell on the end too. Can smell faint grassy hop smell as well. I let this warm up some more and I am getting a walnut/pecan pie smell off of it now, it is delightful.

Taste - Good match of malt and hop flavors. The hop flavors aren't really citrus to me, more of a grassy with hints of pine. Getting a sweet taste now that it is warming, I almost want to call it maple like someone else mentioned, but I am unsure because it is a faint flavor.

Mouthfeel - Pretty decent mouth feel, this bottle was a little over carbonated, but not too bad.

Drink - Pretty enjoyable to drink. Not sure I'd want to down another bomber, but I am enjoying it none the less.

I decided it was time to revisit this, as I have only had this twice before. Once was when I wasn't into beer at all and I thought it was a scary beer. The second time was right after I got into beer and it seemed over hopped. Now I can appreciate it, this bottle didn't seem too hoppy to me. Could be an older bottle, or I may just enjoy hopped up beers now. Over all I enjoyed it. Would definitely buy again, reasonably priced as well.

4.79/5  rDev +15.1%

22 oz. bomber purchased from Kappy's Liquors in Chicopee, MA by my fantastic girlfriend on 10/19/2010.

Appearance- Lots of amber and orange colors in the brew. Poured aggressively, the beverage achieved a massive 3-finger head that's taking forever to dissipate.

Smell- Just like another guy said, Pineapple! Lots of pineapple, citrus...an extravaganza of potent pine hops. This smells beautiful. Second ONLY to Troegs Nugget Nectar.

Taste- Year after year, this beer never ceases to amaze me. I taste so many different things in this beer. Everything from medicinal & rejuvenating spicy citrus hops to the delicate taste of raisins, the finish is very nice- bitter & decent warming sensation from the alcohol.

Mouthfeel- Not too slick & resin-like, like many high hop beers seem to have. Great consistency- exactly what I look for in a badass hoppy beer.

Drinkability- Only let me have one double deuce. Cause I could put these down all night long. They just taste so amazing. One of my top three American brews of ANY style.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

Served in a glass.

A: Pours with a huge head. 1:1 ratio of foam to beer. Dissipates very slowly and leaves a light lacing. Some carbonation. A redish-amber color (also reminds me of root beer if it was red).

S: Excellent smell! Can smell roasted something (hops, wheat?), possibly a hint of maple, and a little floral/citrus smell.

T: Damn! This IS a STRONG ALE. Biiterness & alcohol taste doesn't hit until the end. Roasted hops taste along with a caramel make for a great taste with a bitter twist at the end: it isn't just the alcohol but a VERY crisp/strong citrus taste (grapefruit possibly but kind of soapy). A complex ale this is!

M: Feels good & smooth on the palate. Smooth with slight bubbly carbonation.

D: Shocks the palate in the end. Personally, I don't think I could have more than another 1/2-whole bottle.

This is clearly for the beer drinker who appreciates complex tastes & enjoys something different. Initially I can't say this goes down easy. Don't get me wrong, I like this beer for being different and the taste, yet it is quite bitter at the end for me but this is the type of beer I would enjoy learning to love with time.

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

final brew of the evening. Tapping off a disappointing night of a Sam Winter Variety. This was my SAVE THE EVENING BREW!

A- a gorgeous amber red brew with dark colors wrapping around the glass. A fantastic head tops off the brew with lacing galore. I am sorry... but this brew screams deliverance

S- a great balance of malt and hops. This is prime time Am strong. The pine and citrus absolutely tackle the malt and just blend to excellence. Great!

T- an unprecedented assault of flavor. Roasted malt is enrobed in pine and warm grapefruit flavors. The brew is totally balanced with flavor. Literally, a picturesque exhibition of malt and hops... in equilibrium

M- syrupy and carbonated. Flavor lingers which is great

D- arrogant bastard exhibits excellence in the form of a crafted brew. While the alcohol makes it somewhat of a sipper... the flavor and taste counter that aspect. I could take two bombers and call it a night

4.73/5  rDev +13.7%

AMAZING! This beer pours reddish black with a foamy froathy caramel head that sticks to the glass as is slowly fades. The aroma is very strong from the beer it is hoppy with toasted grains, a little citrusy and the alcohol in the background. This beer is rich complex, malty and caramel; toasted and smokey. The lingering taste is of citrus, definately grapefruit with how biter it is and dry it leaves your mouth. This is a big bold complex beer, delicious.

4.07/5  rDev -2.2%

Brown in color with an amber hue and heavy haze. Poured with a thick off-white head that reduced to a healthy cap. Lots of sticky lacings on the glass. Sweet caramel malt, floral and piney hop aromas. Medium bodied with pleasant carbonation. Sweet malty flavor in the beginning that leads to citrus hops in the middle and a pine hop finish. The higher ABV slips in at the end to take the edge off the mildly bitter finish. Very enjoyable.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

22oz poured into a nonic pint glass.

Pours a dark amber brown with a two-finger head and an incredible amount of lacing. The scent is of citrus and floral hops with a malty character. The taste is a floral hoppiness up front with a solid sweet malt backbone. This is a medium-bodied beer with a medium amount of carbonation.

It's tasty enough to set aside the fact that it's a 7.2% ABV brew. It's a beer which I have enjoyed countless times over the years and will continue to do so - though I will make sure I don't make the mistake of going a year without having it again.

4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A very deep amber/red colored beer that forms a decent head white head that left trace lace as it subsided. An aroma of malt and hops with some caramel elements. It has an interesting flavor to it. A flavor of malt, hops and carmel. A bit stronger than I like my beers unless they're heavier to offset the taste of alcohol. So the finish was a bit heavy alcohol wise, but still another fine Stone product.c

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

A-Rich, dim and cloudy mahogany with a slowly settling white head, with more creamy bubbles than large bubbles. The largest being about the size of a pin point. Beautiful exhibition of carbonation bubbles streaming up from the nucleation points at the bottom of the glass.

S- Bit of a sweet maltiness with lots and lots of bittering hops, is that grass? Is it really bitter pine cone? Is it Marcona Almond? Yes to all of the above. This is a complex nose. I'm even pouring it at about 38* and still its wafting its glory towards my face.

T- Rich, provocative and seemingly rebellious notes take hold, with a grip of astringent hop bitterness that is cradled by a decadent enough malt profile to keep it from spinning out of control. Very nicely crafted, although it seems a little less strong, thinking back to the first "BASTARD" and having to drain pour it due to my unworthiness.

M- Lots of confusion here, because the brew itself is so rich and bitter, but the mouthfeel, if you take a second to dissect the blitzkrieg of complexities flying your way you'll find that this guy is actually quite creamy and firm in mouthfeel. Nice!

D- Leaves a weird cloying bitterness that I've never liked about this beer, but the hop fix this thing provides is more than enough to consider it "DRINKABLE".

A - dark, nice, deep brown with a nice 1/4" head of foamy head

S - hop laden with roasted malt

T - smooth with gentle malts providing a hop journey that will remind you of an IPA

M - smooth with medium carbonation

D - Absolutely. Just a reat all around brew

Notes from 10/05/2010:

22 oz. bottle served at 45* into an Arrogant Bastard pint (oh yeah!).

A: This pours a dark amber/copper color with a gorgeous 3 finger, foam head.

S: This smells of floral and piney hops, an intense malt character, vanilla, and caramel.

T: It consists of a boiserous blend of caramel, toffee, vanilla, piney and floral hops, hazelnut, and loads of sweet malts.

M: It has the perfect level of carbonation and leaves the lips sticky.

D: Every sip is pure, beer-loving bliss.

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.