Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

22 oz bottle poured into a hotel water glass. Bottle says enjoy by 12/22/09.

A - pours a ruddy brown with one finger of foam

S - great hoppy aroma, with a huge malty sweet smell behind it. I also pick up some very faint cardboard/oxidation aromas.

T - wow, this is a complex beer. First your palate is greeted with a citrusy hop flavor, quickly overtaken by a huge crystal/munich malt sweetness, and finishing with a tart, lingering bitterness.

M - High viscosity, with a long lingering bitterness. Carbonation is low and does not make much of an impact on mouthfeel

D - This is quite enjoyable and goes down very easy. I'm suprised I finished the 22oz bottle as quickly as I did.

FickleBeast, Dec 02, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

A: Pours a clear amber with a medium white head.

S: Hops with the unmistakable smell of pine trees and winter freshness. I can detect the power of this brew just from the nose.

T: Strong hops with a very apparent evergreen character; followed by tropical fruits, citrus, and a bitter, bitter, herbal medicine-like hop finish.

M: Medium body; juicy with a decent carbonation.

D: Very drinkable, despite the fact that one of the bottle caps on the sixer said: "Hated by many, loved by few." Easily one of the best American Strong Ales out there.

thekanna, Dec 01, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours a nice fizzy yellow...err...wait. A nice dark amber brown, with some sticky off tan head. Some minimal traces of carbonation trickling up. From what I can get from the bottle, I think this one may be from 1/09, so the aroma may be lacking. Still get some strong hops, but it seems the malts are almost winning the battle. Definitely not as hoppy as a Stone should be. Hops are right up in front on the palate but fade quickly to a nice thick malty backbone. Should have reviewed a fresher one I suppose, but the taste is not lacking whatsoever. For being almost a year old, the hops are still kicking but have lost their fruity and bitter punch. Nice and thick in the mouth, not overly carbonated. This ones too drinkable, beware the 7.2% though. It will sneak up on you like a bastard.

kiddynamite920, Dec 01, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Bomber purchased by my dad in Las Vegas. Thanks pop! Pours a turbid reddish brown with two fingers of cream-coloured froth. Smell and taste are a beautifully complex mix of dark dried fruit, sweet malts, caramel, some toasted biscuit, lemon, resiny hops, tangerine, and a white grapefruit bitterness to finish. Tastes like a Belgian Strong Dark Ale mixed with a well-hopped IPA. Truly awesome stuff. Medium-full mouthfeel is crisp, juicy, and tangy, with tons of bite from the hops. A bitter, citric aftertaste clings to the very end. Drinkability is off the charts, as I finished a bomber in less than an hour. Overall, Arrogant Bastard is one of the best-tasting and most original brews I've tried so far. Highly recommended.

cratez, Nov 30, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

6 Dollars for a 12 ounce pour at Plan B... ouch.

A - Amber body with reddish tints and an off white head that casts judgements and belittles everyone sitting at the bar.

S - Sweet malt, piney hops, dark fruit, As I point my nose upwards the smell gets better and better.

T - Slightly sweet, piney hops, subtle fruit.

M - Medium bodied, medium carbonation.

D - All 6 dollars worth of the 12 ounces were polished off very easily.

DNICE555, Nov 25, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Serving notes - on tap, shaker glass.
A-full and wonderful piney, resiny hops full the nose with some faint malt in the background.
A- finger of head that dissipates to a persistent ring. Nice lacing. Semi-clear amber with some haze that I assume is from dry hopping.
M - medium carbonation, low to medium body
T - Piney / spicy hops forward with some nice two row malt to back things up.
D - In spite of the talk on the bottle, this is a very well balanced and drinkable beer. I go back to this one often.

Yeastcakes, Nov 24, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

First tried this beer on my twenty-first birthday. Lived in Phoenix at that time. Fell in love with Stone's Smoked Porter. Drove up and spent 3 days in SanDiego/Escondido. one of the Best times of my life. EVER HAVE A CHANCE TO SPEND AN AFTERNOON IN STONE'S BEER GARDENS A STRONGLY RECOMMEND IT.

This beer pours a deep auburn/red color. Good head that sticks around well. Laces nicely. First smell. HOPS! haha slightly sweet. very intriguing. First taste malty with good mouth feel followed immediately by.... HOPS!. An almost awkward balance between the two. But to my surprise...I liked it. So many flavors. All that sitting in a wooden bench in the middle of Stone's gardens. Happy Birthday. !D

Arnie2709, Nov 23, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

hard to believe it took me this long to review it.

poured into a schnifter pours a nice clean black with a finger and a half of very even beautiful off white head.

smell has way subtle citrusy and earthy hops mixing well with strong malts and alchohol.

taste: similiar to alot of other american ales with a little more bitterness. it has a good amount of everything but not too much of anything. i think is why it is a staple beer for so many people even non ba's.

mouthfeel and drinkability: this is the kind of beer that leaves you feeling like you want to without too much syrup feeling in the mouth. it is definately one of the more sessionable beers i can think of. good all around

northaustin, Nov 22, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

You know that scene in Sideways where Virginia Madsen asks Paul Giamatti when he realized he was a wine lover...most of us have had a similar transcendental experience with beer. For me it was a mug of New Amsterdam Amber after work one night in college. Prior to that night my favorite beers were Old Milwaukee and Rolling Rock...which I still enjoy on occasion if I'm in a swilling mood. That New Amsterdam was an awakening for me, and I had a similar experience recently with a pint of Arrogant Bastard. I'd had Arrogant Bastard before but I'd never been a huge fan of the BIG American Pale Ales or (in this case) Strong Ales...too belligerent. But on this particular day what started with a sip of my buddy's draft turned into my own pint, which was quickly followed by another. The hops were so fresh it tasted like I was drinking it straight out of the mash tun, and it was big but balanced...I had seen the light...I was worthy! The bottle I'm drinking right now isn't quite as fresh or memorable as the drafts I enjoyed that afternoon but it's still an outstanding beer. For tasting notes please refer to any of the other 1,100+ reviews. Most are spot on in their praise and analysis.

Recommended Music Pairing: Led Zepplin II

Buttermaker, Nov 19, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

22oz. Bomber with a lot to read on back of label about Arrogance. Front of label has a gargoyle with a beer. He's saying "You're Not Worthy"

A: Pours a dark blood red, with a nice tan fluffy one finger head. Leaves really nice sticky lacing down the glass.

S: Very aromatic. Hops with a faint alcohol aroma.

T/M: Smooth and medium bodied. Very complex and tasty. Alcohol can be tasted, but is not overpowering. Hops are huge and malts are also. This makes for a very nice balance. Barley is also used. The finish is a little dry.

D: This Brew is Excellent! I could drink this one all night. As the bottle cap say's "Fizzy Yellow Beer Is For Wussies."

Cheers!!!!

mnrider, Nov 18, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured a cloudy dark orange red with a beautiful thick off white head that lingers for quite some time before fading to a slightly chunky covering. Lacing is nice. Not too thin, but not chunky either. Nice appearance!

Smell is all over the place. Sweet malts, raisin and date, pine, citrus, orange, and woody.

Taste is amazing! Sweet roasted malt, pine, oaky, hints of lemon and orange peel. Raisin and date again. I'm really digging this combination of flavors.

Mouthfeel is great. Carbonation leaves a bit of a flavor masking sting. That's the only reason i deducted a half point here.

Drinkability is good for this big of a beer. I could drink this all night. But it's probably not the best of ideas. =P

This is my new favorite session beer. Two or three bombers of this and I'm done for.

ditch, Nov 16, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

A: hearty dark orange and deep brick reds make up the bulk of this beer. The body is also rather cloudy and has minimal transparency. A taupe head formed with the utmost fizziness, to bad it had to sink away so quickly. I notice that some sticky spider webs have adhered directly across from my drinking end of the glass and upon further inspection the lacing is quite sticky and worthy of praise...looks tasty

S: dry spicy hops of citrus and pine, with more of the latter. Fairly pungent in the nose. Some toasted malt whiffs are far back in the aromatic mix with a shot of caramel floating around. Is that some dry woodiness I smell? I even swear some raisins wallow about

T: whew...these flavors gather and stomp on your tongue. The big proponent doing the hard work, and all the stomping, are the bitter piney hops that last from start to finish, a nice bite towards the finish. A spirited toasted caramel, maybe more of a brown sugar, maltiness has its foot in the door as the hops pass right through. These malts provide a sturdy base and allows other flavors to sneak through. I swear one of these sneaking flavors has some oak aged dimensions or woody vinous citrus notes to it. Yum.
All I know is that while the beer warms the flavor ambience continues to enhance. Raw hops are hanging strong as my glass nears the halfway mark. This is a monster of a beer

M: to make matters even more wonderful the feel is exactly where it should be, or where you would hope it to be. The body is medium in girth and has a delicate sticky depth to it. Carbonation plays a nice part in helping the beer move down the hatch

D: I am surprised that I never reviewed this baby. I just always thought I had marked this one off the list and when I went to check on my notes I found I had never tackled the Arrogant Bastard. Top notch beer and another ambrosial beer from Stone, truly for the gods

Pairs great with Mick Taylor's first solo album..track to note "Slow Blues."

Magpie14, Nov 16, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

A: A great beer! Dark bronze body with a thick 1-2 inch head that lingered for a few minutes leaving spotty lacing along the glass. First thought was " good looking "!!

S: Nothing really dominant or overbearing. Light malty, caramel nut aroma with a very subtle citrus, piney, spicy hop.

T: Just like it smells but x 3. Great, refreshing beer that is very crisp. Moderate carbonation, piney, spicy hop mid-way through with a very well balanced caramel malt sweetness. Taste a little thicker than how she smelled. Slightly stick and fairly strong.

M: Medium-bodied with a good carbonation.

D: Excellent beer. This beer isn't "too" filling and would make a great session beer.

I love most of the Stone beers I've had...this one is another grade-A brew that has been added to the rotation. If you havent tried it...it's a must.

spencerw, Nov 16, 2009
3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured into a tumbler it forms a nice 20 mm head that leaves lots of lacing. The appearance is fairly clear amber. The aroma is a harbinger of the hop taste to follow, piney some would say. I think it's more on the grassy side with some grapefruit, especially in the finish. The taste is strongly hoppy and moderately bitter with good malt highlights. This is a full bodied brew, a pint of which leaves me satisfied.

rfabian, Nov 13, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

Grabbed a bomber of this at my local grocery while getting some ingredients for dinner. Best by 10/21/09 stamped on the side. Poured into my pint glass.

Pours a dirty copper with a HUGE tan head on top. Minimal bubbles rising through. Excellent retention - this looks like a milk shake. Leaves tons of sticky lace and webbing all over the glass. The scent is a little underwhelming. I'm trying to get something out of this, but it's being quite abstinent. Some mild toffee and strawberry Twizzlers is about all I can grasp.

The body is a little slick and oily. Carbonation level is moderate. On to the flavor. Mmmm. Hops! Nice bittering hops right away, but not overly so; this is balanced like crazy. Lots of sweet toffee and caramel even the contest. There's a bit of a charred bread on the finish. Leaves a mildly bitter aftertaste. This is a great strong ale. Why did it take me so long to try this one?!

Onenote81, Nov 13, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +1%

On-tap into a 3/4 pint glass.

A: Clear ruby body with just a whiff of off-white head; little lace - under-carbonated? Great color, though.

S: Not too much going on (at least from what I can tell out of this wide-mouthed glass) - resinous, piney hops are up front, with some dried fruit and alcohol in the background. Understated but pleasant.

T: Piney hops, caramel sweetness, rich fruitiness, a bit of spice, and a warm boozy finish. Assertive and lovely.

M: Medium-bodied with a surprising number of prickly bubbles keeping things lively.

D: Pretty good. The hefty dose of hops keeps things clean enough to stave off the highly present alcohol heat.

Notes: Solid all-around beer, but not the be-all and end-all some make it out to be. I preferred (slightly, but definitely) the Hop Rod Rye I had last night.

Cheers!

woosterbill, Nov 12, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from tap at Winking Lizard in Independence, Ohio earlier tonight into a 10 oz. snifter as a part of "The Most Arrogant Bar" contest there. Greg Koch apparently appeared in the bar 10 23 09. Very cool. Cost was just $5.

A Creamy, thick head with medium brown body. Orange brown in front of direct light in a nice, classic glow. The body was very opaque, letting very little light through. Head cascaded down the side of the glass as well. Very cool look. 4.5

S Malt, hops that are more muted than the classic AB. 4.0

T Malt goodness, significant hops but they are a more natural hops than what I recall from regular AB. AB was always a great tasting beer but the dry hopped version really adds something interesting to this beer. 4.5

M Huge feel, grapefruit bitterness and nice, sweet malt with a thick feel. 4.5

D Very good actually as the bodacious tastes kept me coming back for more until the snifter was empty. 4.0

Notes: A treat to have this on tap earlier tonight at the Winking Lizard.

adamette, Nov 09, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

This is an excellent beer but I much prefer it in bottle. The mouthfeel on tap is a little thin and flat compared to from bottle. Perhaps the pub I tried it in needs to clean their lines...

Anyway...

Appearance is typical reddish brown with a thin (less than 1 inch) head (was poured correctly).

Smells great, wonderful hoppy nose. Very rich and pronounced aromatics.

Tastes great. Very rich and full flavored with great hoppy bitterness and a nice acidity to balance out the high alcohol.

Mouthfeel is rich and has good tannins and acidity.

Drinkability is a little disappointing for this brew. Much more drinkable from bottle. Like I mentioned, a little less carbonation than bottle versions.

cbarrett4, Nov 09, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured into a Bruery tulip glass at about 45 degrees.

Pours a deep mahogany with a finger-thick off-white froth...nice lacing. On the nose are characteristics of chocolate, citrus, pine, hop flowerm roasted malts, subtle coffee, & dark berries. On the palate, the beer has a nice mouthfeel, definite hope bitterness, long finish with a slight hop astringency. Overall a good beer...I remember when I first had this beer, I didn't like it...i was not worthy.

BevMoAndrew, Nov 09, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

That's really an aggressive beer as it's written in its own label, right? So, if you are going to drink it, you'll need to be prepared to the experience. As a big fan of the Belgian beers, I have to admit that Americans have created a new horizon whenever they've started to overload their beer casks with hops. This is so far, the bitterer beer I've ever tasted and I've loved it. I really wish I could find something like this in Switzerland and I really regret that I didn't bring another bottle . with me... :( Despite of the advertisement in its cork, in the end, I think myself as a "worthy one" to drink it... That's very good stuff! I strongly recommend it to the strong ones. ;)

A: Pours a deep amber a little bit hazy color. Head is beige and creamy. Medium retention and many lacings left

S: Smells like an authentic American IPA. I mean, caramel malts and piny hops

T: Great caramel malts and piny, citrus hoppy bitterness. Huge bitterness

M: Medium molasses body. Good carbonation

O: Absolutely refreshing, tasty, delicious beer

eduardolinhalis, Nov 07, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Beautiful 3 finger head, caramel, frothy and persistent, reddish mahogany nice stream of bubbles, good lacing ; if this didn't look so inviting I would put it on a shelf and leave it there forever!

Citrusy hops sweetness

Mildly sweet, a hint of caramel, overwhelmed by piney, herbal, hops, hint of grapefruit

Quite neutral at first, a bit frothy, nicely carbonated; Finishes extremely bitter, bit of mouth pucker

This is defiantly a "hey guys try this" beer, if you know what I mean. This one is best left for the hop heads, but it I really do appreciate it, and will enjoy this bomber to the last drop.

BatsforBeer, Nov 06, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours really dark with little head from the growler. Aroma's more vinous than bottled or on tap: less carbonated and sweet. Lots of raisins, but quite bitter, almost like an amber ale that got tipped into a vat of hops. Without the bubbling buffers in the mouth it's not quite as drinkable as in its other forms, but it's still a damn fine ale.

BretSikkink, Nov 06, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured from the Bomber, into a pint glass.

Poured a nice darker amber, in color with a slightly off white head.

Smell - This one smells absolutely delicious, lots of pine and citrus notes could be picked up immediately.

Taste - This is where it all comes together. Lots of hops, pine and some citrus notes. Very well balanced and very well done. This is how an ale should taste like.

Mouthfeel - medium body with carbonation that goes very well with the flavor.

Drinkability - I could definitely have a couple of bombers in one afternoon.

Genuine, Nov 04, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a snifter:

Appearance and Smell:Poured a dark crimson red with a bronze hue, and left a small cream colored head with nice retention which really hung around on the glass. Smelled of burned cherry and citrus like fruit along with a bit of toffee with some deep pine scent and biscuit hanging out in the back. Really liked the deep smell of this.

Taste and Mouthfeel:Tasted of toasty fruit, particularly grape with a bit of cherry along with plenty of resinous pine. Some subtle caramel malt presence balances out the heavy pine nicely. It was thick and sticky with some evident warmth. Sweetness came through a bit more as it warmed, really solid tasting brew with nice feel to it.

Drinkability:First thing I came accross from stone while on a roadtrip over the last weekend. REALLY enjoyed this, and would buy it for the cheap price i found this bottle at anytime.

blackenmn, Nov 04, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured into my Stone IRS glass. It is beautiful amber color with a dense off white head. It smells hoppy, like grapefruit, and a touch of malt. It tastes remarkably balanced. It starts hoppy and then the malt comes through in the end. The mouthfeel is thick and creamy. This is extremely drinkable due to its balance. I drank the oaked version a while back and wasn't impressed, I think because its marketed as an extreme beer. I don't think this beer is over the top in anyway, but an excellently balanced beer with a nice alcohol content. I highly recomend this beer and Stone in general.

thegodfather2701, Nov 03, 2009
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.