Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Tolann

Colorado

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

Review copied from previous notes:

I really remember enjoying this one. I may need to make an occasion to re-visit this beer.

A - Some head. Dark in color. Ruby in color and crisp in appearance.

S - Sweet and fresh hops, floral scent. This is all about the hops!

T - Bitterness at the top of your throat. Big hops presence. Fresh is the best to describe it.

M - Light to medium body. Noticeably carbonated, but not too much.

D - This beer is all about hops. Quite nice IMO!

01-10-2008 03:23:31 | More by Tolann
DackAchan

4.38/5  rDev +5%

A- Good appearance. Pours a nice looking dark red with a dark tan one finger head. Head stays a while.

S- Dominated by hops. Hops hops and more hops. Definative citrus taste to it.

T- Drinks like an IPA. Hops dominate, clear citrus taste to it with some taste of alcohol.

M- Okay mouthfeel, medium body, with a slight bite of the alcohol.

D- This is hurt because of the hoppy bitterness to it. Alcohol also hurts it as well. But a beer that is definately worth a second try.

01-09-2008 21:38:49 | More by DackAchan
Ryanbob

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%

Hmmmm. I've had this beer a few times before and I have always enjoyed it, but tonight its just not as aggressive as I remember it. Still very good, but not as insanely hoppy as I thought it was.

Appearance is a nice dark brown almost reddish color with a huge three finger head. It smells great with a strong hoppy, floral and sweet aroma. This ale is clean and fresh tasting with plenty of hops, however there is less residual bitterness than in Stone IPA. The hoppy freshness is balanced with some malty sweetness and hints of toastiness. There is some fruity (perhaps grapefruit rind?) taste mixed in there as well. While there is a significant hoppy character to this brew, it is a delicious beer I could drink often. There is no need to be intimidated by the label or the name, if you enjoy Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or Liberty Ale you will probably like this one as well. Cheers!

01-09-2008 03:26:42 | More by Ryanbob
trentley87

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

Picked up the pint bottle tonight...I was going to wait on this one for a special occasion but I just can't resist.

A: Pours a cloudy, dark orange-amber with a two finger width orange-tan head. Excellent head retention with good lacing.

S: Mild, citrus and hops.

T: Very bitter, lots of hops flavors, but a pleasant sweet citrus finish and aftertaste. Definitely some alcohol flavor present as well. Not as aggressive as the back of the bottle would suggest. I throughly enjoyed it.

M: Perfect. Carbonation is right on. Not watered down but not too thick for an ale.

D: The only thing keeping this from being one of my go-to brews is that here in Michigan the price is pretty steep at $4.29 a pint. But you're definitely paying for quality. I will definitely be getting one of these every few weeks or so.

01-08-2008 01:08:41 | More by trentley87
shabbtastic

4.53/5  rDev +8.6%

I FINALLY came to my senses to try the Arrogant Bastard in which my buddy talked me into...

I want to first start off by saying the smack talk on the bottle was a little annoying and made me think it was a queer gimmick or something. Also, and I had to laugh but the bottle decorations are embedded with "cadmium" which is highly TOXIC!! It should be called Dumb Ass Bastard!! Any-who...

A - Pours a dark robust amber with a thick head that lasted...

S - Rich malt with strong hop presents. The strong combination made this really make a statement. Floral grains were abundant with light citrus background notes.

T - Very Piney up front with pungent hop overtones. Sort of classic comparisons to traditional ESB's but a bit tangier than most. Very nice follow with a malty finish.

M - Full bodied and a bit sticky on the palette. Not a clean finish but very tasty, almost like a meal within itself.

D - Very respectable brew, I'll look for this one more often. My buddy said it was an extreme but not so much for me.

I will be visiting the "Bastard" again soon, I just might wear gloves the next time I handle the bottle.

01-07-2008 01:53:45 | More by shabbtastic
ruckzuck

Georgia

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Picked up while at home.

A - lovely red-brown, nice head

S - citrus, hoppy, malty/sweet

T - woo nice bitterness/hoppiness, bit of sweetness which comes through, really nice

M - medium bodied, not too much carbonation, finishes nicely and leaves an enjoyable aftertaste

D - pretty good, I really like this beer (I like the IPA even more) and wish Stone sold more of their stuff in Texas or at all in Georgia. I'd definitely enjoy this more often if I could buy it where I lived! Get in GA, Stone! Anyway, pick it up if you can.

01-05-2008 06:42:56 | More by ruckzuck
Absumaster

Netherlands

3.78/5  rDev -9.4%

A murky brown, reddish beer with lots of carbonation and a creamy head that collapses almost immediately.

Smell is strong malty with some smoke and a good dose of alcohol. The hops are abundant and are citric and resinous.

Taste is strong bitter with citric hops that show a bit rough edges. Maltiness is not as strong as the smell would make me suspect, but it still is heavy on the malt. The alcohol is warming and mouthfeel is sweet and a little thick.

01-04-2008 15:32:19 | More by Absumaster
allergictomacros

Ontario (Canada)

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a clear ruby with a thick cream-colored head. Besides general beeriness, pungent aromas of pineapple, red fruit and a touch of pine are evident. Initial tasting gives as impression of a big malty ale with a touch of booziness and toastiness and apple. Definitely on the richer side, but dry enough to avoid being cloying, and with the hop flavour to stave off too heavy a maltiness.

I think this achieves a nice balance between maltiness and hops, and is no doubt quite a bit bitterer (objectively) than the impression it gives. Quite drinkable for such a big beer. I think the two strong points of this one are balance and nose.

01-02-2008 17:45:04 | More by allergictomacros
lightindarkness

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

A 22oz bomber with a pretty hidden Enjoy By date printed directly below the label, only visible with condensation on the bottle.

A - Deep, deep dark reddish amber. An aggressive pour left a 2 finger creamy light-tan head lasting with some good lace all around.

S - Bright hops, fresh. Full sweetness of pineapple, pear, and some yeast. A pretty tame and soft nose for the experience to come.

T - Intensely bitter from start to finish, masking the apparent complexity of the beer. By about the 8th sip my mouth is acclimated to the bitterness, becoming somewhat numb to the intensity, revealing a very appealing and tasty ale. Some hints of pine are met with fruity grapefruit and raspberry tartness, along with a surprising amount of roasted malt, somewhat dry and dark. the intense hops keep it bright with a lot of depth, accomplished with very little sweetness. It's now 2 minutes after my last sip and I'm still discovering flavors I hadn't noticed before.

M - Complex - slightly dry with a hoppy oil feel. Fairly medium bodied, difficult to discern from the bitterness.

D - Okay. So complex it becomes intriguing. This is one elusive beer, hiding itself beneath folds of hop and bitterness. It leaves much to discover, but will certainly turn off those who are weak of palate and cannot handle the intensity.

01-01-2008 19:18:33 | More by lightindarkness
RblWthACoz

4.38/5  rDev +5%

Pours a cherry brown with a lingering massive head that leaves a fair amount of lace on the way down. Nose at first seemed like blueberries, but calmed down after a minute. Taste is massively complex and thorough. Sweet edge follows a burst of hop flavor with a deep almost oaky presence, which turns into what I want to say is a slight alcohol presence on the end. Not for the faint of heart, or palate. This beer is complex and lacks mercy for those who are immature in beer.

12-30-2007 05:27:59 | More by RblWthACoz
BeaBeerWife

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%

Best of class. Still uncertain what the class is! Dark Double IPA??? American Strong Ale I guess!

Certainly one that should be mandatory for all IPA lovers to try.

Big Complex beer, I highly recommend having one of these on an empty stomach BEFORE dinner. You will then appreciate all of what it has to offer. Drinking with a meal would just be too complex! :)

This brewery continues to amaze me. Need to visit it someday.

12-25-2007 19:56:59 | More by BeaBeerWife
jeffmonarch

Maryland

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

1 pt. 6 oz. bottle in a pint glass.

A - Red/brown color with a light tan color.

S - Hops, nice roasted grain scents.

T - Hops from the start. Sweet grain flavor with high alcohol content.

M - Medium bodied with good carbonation.

D - Great beer. I love this. If you like this also try Oaked Arrogant Bastard and Double Arrogant Bastard.

12-25-2007 04:49:17 | More by jeffmonarch
kirok1999

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

Pours a nice clear mild copper. Thick white head and massive lacing. Smells of hops only, bitter aromatic hops of citrus and pine.
Taste is massive hops up front, followed by more hops, then a lingering hop aftertaste. There's a mild malt presence that gives it a dry quality. Feels slightly thin and bubbly.

12-24-2007 01:10:19 | More by kirok1999
scottblaze

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%

My second time to drink this...the first time I didn't know what to expect, it caught me a little off guard.This bottle sat in the fridge for almost 2 months for no reason except that I guess just wanted to sit and enjoy it on my own sweet time. Here goes...I humble myself..

Dark hazy, redish amber...Frothy head looks almost like foam on a cappicino, excellent retention and lacing. Smell of molasses, vanilla, chamomile, citrus, fresh cut hay and pine...complex...yes. Taste the hops, this is what they're about and what they're good at....pine, citrus combined with a toasted malty fruitiness, reminiscent of molasses, dried cherries, pineapple, raisins, that takes this brew in a most interesting flavor direction along with a creamy but carbonated bite that makes for a inticing mouthfeel and drinkability.

I am not worthy...

12-12-2007 00:00:52 | More by scottblaze
Homerbag

Wisconsin

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

Murky Copper red with one the best heads out there. The head lasts until the very end. If you are into visual stimulating beers, this has to be on your list.

Nice aroma balance of strong hop and roasted grains. Some alcohol is present but burried under the fruitiness of the yeast.

Hoppy from the get go. Almost IPA hoppy. Sweet malty grains balance of the hard hop kick. Good fruity undertone that adds complexity to a very outstanding flavor.

Feel is the only place that this does not overly impress. Good carbonation and enough viscosity to let the flavor soak in but leaves clean aftertaste for a beer this strong.

This is a very goog beer and I wish it was more availible in the upper midwest. This is a very good example of the style and I hope to enjoy it again.

12-11-2007 08:33:45 | More by Homerbag
bloberglawp

Quebec (Canada)

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Big thanks to jasonjlewis for this bomber! Sampled it with my big brother along with DFH punkin and New belgium's Fat Tire.

Pours deep redish copper with a good size head that laces nicely to the glass. Aroma of bready malt and huge hop additions. Interesting mouthfeel from all those bitter hops. Taste is extreme and almost unbalanced but none the less very very delicious.

12-10-2007 02:29:07 | More by bloberglawp
ghostmech007

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Big bomber with a nice label. Pretty funny stuff printed on it too. Poured this into an over sized pint glass.

Deep red coloring with an good beige lace and head. Very sticky, just hugs the glass.

Very rough hops nose. Grains, and alcohol are also very present but not overpowering. Balance and lovely.

Nice full body. Very rich, very complex brew. Smooth considering the amounts of hops. Malty sweetness that immediately gets cut down by the hops. The alcohol really comes through when this one warms up. The raw hops palate is very complex, the brewers must have used a million different styles in this one. Finishes very sweet and dry but taste great from start to finish.

Just a side note: this brew is not for the faint of heart. It's big, complex, very raw, and very sophisticated. You need to know what you're getting into before you buy it. If you don't like hops don't get it, if you don't like big brews don't get... if you dare. But I'm defiantly going to get this one again.

12-09-2007 21:08:39 | More by ghostmech007
hellcatsjg

4.13/5  rDev -1%

Appearance: Dark brown with a finger of creamy head that leaves after the first sip to make way for a thin layer of foam with decent lacing.

Smell: Hoppy. Big citrus and pine hops in the smell. Also present is a bit of a caramel aroma.

Taste: Sweet citrus hops lead off the sip along with some maltiness and then quickly transitions to the piney hop flavor that rounds out the swallow.

Mouthfeel: Decent thickness and finishes clean and hoppy. You get a big blast of pine hops that sticks around for a long while after the sip. Also, although there is not a relatively low ABV, you get a bit of a nice warming feeling in your throat.

Drinkability: A beer that has such a strong, long lasting hop flavor is not something you could drink a ton of. Very tasty and something I would drink often, just not several in an evening.

12-09-2007 02:14:14 | More by hellcatsjg
ncvbc

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

While I think I enjoy this more than the Oaked, it isn't as balanced or rounded out. Needless to say, I'm a hop head so I'll take all the bitter I can get. Basically looks the same as the oaked, pretty close to brown in color and an off white head. Decent lacing and steady carbonation. Smell is great and the hops come through much more here than in the Oaked. The smell in general is much bigger. Hops, hops, and more hops with a pretty big malty backbone that consists of caramel and toasted biscuits. Taste doesn't quite live up to the smell but tries to follow the same suit. I prefer the Oaked in terms of taste simply because the vanilla flavors help to round it out in a good way. Mouthfeel here is fairly bitter and dry. Medium bodied and a good tingle from the carbonation on the tongue but slick. I could drink a good bit of this. A couple bombers would do me good. Pretty much exactly what I remember from a tasting in Asheville and it remains a solid selection in my book.

Cheers to NCSUdo for the extra.

12-08-2007 02:20:20 | More by ncvbc
jasonpeckins32

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%

This beer is amber in color with some extreme red notes. One of the reddest beers Ive ever seen. Small khaki head layers the top of the glass.

The nose is very piney and citrusy. Awesome hop aroma.

A thrashing amount of citrus and bittersweet hops make for quite a bold taste. Earthy, piney, resiny. A welcomed kick in the palate with this ale.

The mouthfeel is soft and creamy, yet still decently carbonated.

The drinkability is decent, but the heavy flavor would make it difficult to enjoy several of these.

12-06-2007 22:29:04 | More by jasonpeckins32
NitroGen

Arizona

4.05/5  rDev -2.9%

P: 1 PT. 6 Fl. Oz. 7.2% Alc. Vol., Brown Bomber Bottle

A: Mahogany pour with reddish hues into a into a pint glass with an intense finger head of foam that lowers to a scant cover and enough lacing for three glasses.

S: Grapefruit pith, roasted grains

T: Carbonation brings a burst of bitter grapefruit pith then a trickle of sweet roasted malt that mingles as a slightly slick hop slick on the tongue and palette.

M: Enjoy the face slap of bitter hops but I really enjoy the myriad aftertaste of sweet roasted malt that I have not found elsewhere.

D: I would like to spend an afternoon with a number of these, as I cannot see tiring of this great brew! I especially like how it changes as it lowers in temperature, started at 50 degrees. I will be offering to guests.

12-05-2007 01:52:32 | More by NitroGen
zerofear13

4.13/5  rDev -1%

I was really excited to try this after tasting Stone's IPA, which I loved. 22 oz. bomber poured into a pint glass with a nice one-inch frothy head. Color is a deep reddish brown. Smells of malts, hops, and earthy nuts. The taste reminds me of a strong brown ale or nut ale. I likened it to Samuel Adam's Brown Ale, but this beer is much better. The balance between caramel roasted malts, hops, and earthy nuts is a lot better. Great flavor. It's followed by a warming 7.2% alcohol; not a huge amount, but noticeable. Overall, another winner from Stone.

12-04-2007 21:17:11 | More by zerofear13
BeerImmediately

3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

A: poured a deep, deep amber color, with a milkshake thick head, and terrific lacing.

S: some sweet, fruity hops, but not a very strong smell overall.

T: noticed some orange peel up initially, with some sweet grapefruit, and a lightly smokey finish.

M: crisp and clean on the palate.

D: goes down quite easily, and had to force myself to take it slow.

Very nice beer. Not sure if it's worth $55/case, but it is a high quality example of a strong ale.

12-02-2007 19:34:20 | More by BeerImmediately
wiseguy142

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

(Reviewed while drinking)

Appearance: Purpley-brown with little visible carbonation (a minus in my book). Average head of about 1.5 inches in my glass and crystal clear for a darker beer.

Smell: The best aroma from a beer I've ever experienced. Pure citrus and grapefruit with something at that trails off the harder you breathe in that I can't pinpoint.

Taste: Much like the smell: pure grapefruit. If I were given this beer in a blind taste test I don't know if I would be able to tell between this and grapefruit juice itself. Still, there is a hint of alcohol and malt but very unorthodox for a beer. It's maybe a little weak for something called "Arrogant Bastard Ale" at only 7.2 % alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Light and acidic. Again, unorthodox. Very tangy, but you don't get sick of it.

Drinkability: I could drink more than a couple of these without getting tired of it. But then I would get tired of it.. because it's like slamming a grapefruit into your brain to get you drunk.

11-29-2007 09:28:42 | More by wiseguy142
bunnyhustle

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from the Arrogant bomber (which is a treat in its own) into chalice. Pours a richp mahogany brown with a slightly off-white head. Not a huge head but not too small, not the greatest retention, some lacing. Smell is hoppy with some caramel and some alcohol. Taste is great, very complex so I'm sure I'm missing something here. Some citric notes, mainly pineapple with a touch of hops and some sweetness too. An almost chocolate taste as it goes down. Medium to almost thick mouthfeel I would argue and a slightly oily feeling left behind but its not necessarily unpleasant. Overall a good beer, ABV is a little high but for the most part easily drinkable and a real treat.

11-29-2007 02:20:55 | More by bunnyhustle
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.