Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Appearance: Coppery garnet red with very light tan towering foamy head. Really inviting.

Smell: Malty, citrusy, pine, hop, earth.

Taste: Nicely integrated malty backbone and citrus/resinous hop mingling with earthy smoke. Finishing clean with just a hint of grapefruit peel bitterness that lingers long on the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth, medium bodied.

Drinkability: Smokey, bitter, tart and bold. Have to be in the the mood, but when I am, it's plausable to put away more than one bomber.

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

A= Good Copper color great white head with some nice lacing.

S= I smell some hops in this beer some roasted malts, I smell some citrus in this beer.

T= Citrus and some pine hops, overwhelming me all at once! Its fruity, its bitter...very nice. Finish is pretty bitter and piney overall. Nice combination.

M= It kind of coats the mouth very nice rightly carbonated very nice.

D= This is a solid beer by stone. I drink a few of these a month really enjoy this one by Stone.

4.06/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: Good god this is a beautiful beer. It pours with a massive, three to four finger head. It's perfectly laced and the head retains great. The beer is a deep-red color that just makes me want to drink it all.

Smell: Hoppy, nutty and a few spices. There's just a hint of grapefruit in there.

Taste: Tastes very good! Hits smoky, malty and hoppy, then a few spices come in, and the grapefruit makes its appearance at the end. Very well-balanced.

Mouthfeel: Lightly carbonated and feels pretty thick on the tongue, but goes down the throat nice and bubbly.

Drinkability: Surprisingly easy to drink, there's really no issue finishing a bomber of this. Can barely feel the 7.2% alcohol.

A great, widely available choice. The "arrogance" is perhaps a little out of hand though, I think this'd be a great choice for someone just getting into craft beers.

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Wonderful, thick, long lasting, light brown head of three fingers, which remained until the bottom of the glass. This was a first. Rich clear dark red/amber color with a grand action of tiny bubbles making their way to the surface. Color rates a 31 on the SRM chart. Smell is intense malt, wheat, citrus and hops. Very rich balanced taste of wheat and lime with a finish of hops, this stuff is good. The citrus and hops remains on the back of my tongue for a good 30 seconds after the brew has gone down my throat. Creamy and tingly feel in my mouth and back of my throat as I drink. A little pricey, but well worth the cost, as this is one of the best beers I have drank up to this time in my life. This is not a beer for the run of the mill crowd that are happy with lack luster, flavorless "lite" "low carb" brews.

Awesome brew that tasted better than expected and went down smooth.
Poured from 22oz bottle into pint glass.
A- Large off-white head and beautiful copper color
S- Strong complex smell I can't put my finger on
T- Carmel and malt with hint of hops
D- Extremely smooth but has a nice kick. Drinkable for a strong ale.
Bottle had 10/24/10 drink by date, drank on 10/03/10 and beer was still extremely fresh.
I'm trying just about every Stone beer this month. So far everything has been excellent.

3.48/5  rDev -16.3%

this is the last of three of my epiphany beers and the first of the three i have written a review one

A -
carmel head soapy looking which stay fairlt well. body is in the red black family little visible carbonation

S -
hops some nuts spice and a hint of citrus

T -
starts off with a big smokey taste but you do get some hops hints of carmel nuts grapefruit after time the smokey taste fades only to leave a big bold grapefruit taste

M -
Tart smokey and yet still very soft and smooth on the tongue

D -
its a big bold beer but however i have been known to be able to knock a few back love thid beer and will continue to drink it plus the name is way cool

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

I haven't had this beer in a looong time and, the last time I had it, my palate was so underdeveloped that I could not appreciate how great it was/is. A very dark amber body with a nice creamy tan sticky head gives off aromas of hops, citrus, piney and floral. The taste matches this with sweets and bitters in a medium bodied ale. I love this beer. It's so good.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A- pours a very dark amber, you can probably call it brown. Puffy 2 finger tan head. Looks really nice. Lacing is about average

S- smells really spicy. Getting some roasted malts and citrus hops. Interesting flavor combination

T- citrus AND pine hops, overwhelming me all at once! Its fruity, its bitter...very nice. Finish is pretty bitter and piney overall. Nice combination

M- thick without being syrupy. Very good.

D- just an overall solid but unremarkable beer. "Intro to hoppiness", almost...there are a good bit of hops, but nowhere near as much as in other Stone offerings that could overwhelm someone

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a brownish amber color with a 1 finger cream colored head. Ring like lacing occurs throughout my consumption adding to the appearance.

The smell is like freshly baked bread. I have had this bottle for a while so I am thinking some of the hop smell has burned off.

My first impression is happiness regarding the hoppiness of this brew. A good deal of bready malts head up the taste with ample west coast pine/lemon hops. Within the taste is a roasted barley flavor that blends well into the hop profile. I am also getting some grassy and celery like flavors from the hops. The residual taste is rather bitter and pleasant.

This beer has a unique affect of coating the mouth with a sticky feel. It is full in the mouth with plenty of carbonation to tingle the tongue.

I would say that this is not the most drinkable beer, especially for its ABV. The complexity of this brew keeps me sipping away. This is Definitely a 'go to' beer when wanting something flavorful and delicious.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Another from a Stone tasting:

Appearance was nice amber/mahogany color. Nice head with lacing throughout

Smell was bourbon, woody, with alcohol and hops.

Taste was very 'in your face', strong start to finish with layers of flavor and hops.

Strong, but drinkable. Definitely lived up to its name.

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

I had this on tap at Brew 22 in Jonestown, PA. Served chilled in a standard pint glass.

The color is deep copper bordering on bronze w/ murky appearance and thick whipped up inch of light beige. There are rings of lace clinging after the first sip so retention and lacing are good.

The smell has mild hooppy aroma w/ light pine odor when I first checked, but it was served very cold. As the beer warms more malt w/ mild caramel and toasted notes come forward and a mild alcohol note is apparent closer to cellar temp

The feel is mildly creamy on entry w/ high bitterness and a warming feel w/ slightly high stickiness on the palate w/ a dry finish. The bitterness lasts long after the swallow

The taste of the strong ale has strong piney hop flavor w/ herbal accent and slight woody note w/ caramel taste under the highly bitter hop flavors. There is a slight creamy yeast tinge w/ mild stone fruit in the taste as it goes down. The taste is very aggressive and almost biting w/ a very grassy sharp taste that doesn't mess around. You can feel the stomach acid in action after the beer is consumed when tasted on an empty stomach.

A good west coast strong ale w/ lots of bitterness that makes it a challenge for me to have more than a couple. The acidity seems to linger, but it achieves its goal -arrogance. This beer is not for everyone, but I still find it highly drinkable

4.12/5  rDev -1%

I had this on numerous occasions so it time to review it . The glass has a nice tan colored head that fades slowly to a thick lace. The body of the brew is almost a ruby red in color.

It's a stone product for sure when it comes to the hopping and that is the first thing you get in the nose big old pine and citrus hops. The pretty much dominate the nose. The flavor is not as one dimensional as one would expect from Stone. They sometimes forget the malts in their products I think but this brew is more balanced. You get a nice malt sweetness from it I find myself at times thinking maybe it is a little too sweet. The brew had medium body and carbonation to it.

A great beer that I never second guess about grabbing or ordering on tap and one is never enough

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a bomber into a mug...
Pours a murky dark brown had an amber tint with a pillowy huge head.
Smells a little woody, has sweet malt and citrus hops.
Tastes sweet with a sour bite of grapefruit, nice mellow hop flavor.
Has a very creamy feeling and leaves the mouth dry.
This is as dedlicious brew, have to try it once.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Decent head with good retention, color is dark caramel with a burgundy tinge, sticky spots down the length of the glass, quite clear - 4.50, S: Heavy on the hops - lots of pine and citrus, though alcohol is relatively low it is noticeable and almost solventy, chocolate covered rum cherries, subtle mint, sweet caramel malts are quite noticeable, very nice nose - 4.25, T: Sharp and dry, lots of pine sap and grapefruit pith, dark fruit like sweetness, significant caramel malts - 4.00, M: Medium body and creamy mouth feel - 4.00, D: Very drinkable, hops dominate, enjoyable all around - 4.00

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

I was really excited about trying this beer. Even the pubescent boyish 'Tenacious "D"' label couldn't put me off. A clear clean reddish chestnut brown colour which is topped by a dense multi layered head. And as I drank this, probably faster than I should have, the beer left some of the thickest clinging lacing I can remember.

Resiny on the nose and tongue the beer evokes a burnt almost rubbery edge which is mighty delicious and addictive.

This is what big bold American beer should be-intense, assertive and complex. Feckin "A".

3.64/5  rDev -12.5%

smell; quite a good hop odor, with other characters that reminded me of typical American microbrews with too much hops. A little more balanced than most.

taste; very complex, with some toasty barley notes, hops mostly prevailed but not too excessive, still could be less. However I can't blame them, nearly every American beer drinker I know, who is a step above macrobrew garbage, is a hophead! They just must be catering to the consumer but not so much so that non-hopheads can't enjoy as well.

mouthfeel; sharp carbonation takes away any watery qualities, almost some thickness but no, I think it's the alcohol numbing my tongue. Very nice, perhabs the most memorable feature.

drinkability; one is enough! I'd drink Doppelbock in excess before this. Not enough malts to balance with the hops for me but would certainly drink again.

Not really my kind of beer but I have still much to learn of the style. I liked it but I guess I'm not arrogant enough to be worthy.

4.11/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into a tulip

A - Deep mahogany color, good clarity, tight off-white head, heavy lacing down the glass.

S - Piney, spicey and some citrus hops and big carmely malt back bone, some roastiness

T - Good amount of pine bitterness, big malty character, very little alcohol is detectable.

M - Medium bodied, good carbonation

D - Very drinkable, gets a bit sweet after 22oz though

A classic beer that everyone should have at least once or have sitting in the fridge.

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%

Living in Kansas, I don't often have the opportunity to get great fresh beer from the coasts. Sure, we have access to big breweries like Sierra Nevada, Rogue, and Samuel Adams, but we don't have access to those "chic" breweries. One such name is Stone, a brewery that I've always admired from afar but never had the opportunity to sample. On a recent trip to Denver I made it a point to seek out a bevy of beers that I just can't get here locally, including several from Stone. For tonight, I figured that I may as well start with the beer that is arguably Stone's most famous, Arrogant Bastard. I have to admit that I'm both nervous and excited to try this beer. This one is a 22 ounce bomber, with the famous Stone Gargoyle on the front. As if I wasn't intimidated enough there's the phrase "You're Not Worthy" greeting me as I crack the bottle open.

I'm treating this beer as I would a Belgian, as surprisingly outside the name I know very little about it. So that means that I'm using my Chimay chalice. Blasphemy you say? Well, considering the name is Arrogant Bastard, I figured it appropriate. Pours similarly to a Belgian beer as well, a deep amber color. The color is the first thing that surprises me about this beer, as it's much darker, bordering on brown, than I expected. Half inch head that dissipates but leaves a fine bubbly lacing along the sides of the glass. Nice.

Aroma is surprisingly malty. Considering Stone's profile (i.e. California, I was expecting this to be quite hoppy, but again that's not the case. It's a complex smell, and my first thought was of pretzels, like the big soft pretzels you can get on a street corner. There's some sweetness to the malt aroma as well, kind of like a French loaf or something similar. I want to say that there are some faint fruit aromas, like figs or other dark fruits. This aroma is just fantastic. I could smell it all day.

Mouthfeel is pretty tremendous. It's thick without being syrupy, full without being sticky. While the hops were not present in the nose there's this super huge lingering bitterness that smothers your palate, choking it from the front to the back with your first drink. And again, the Arrogant Bastard surprises me, as it tastes like nothing I was expecting. There's this huge, full-on malt sweetness up front, which gives way to a dryness before heading into the bitterness at the end. I attribute the middle dryness to house character that seems to be present in all of Stone's beers. When tasting the beer I'm surprised at how fruity it really is, as I get these huge hits of raisin and fig on my palate. What's amazing is how the sweetness just evaporates in the middle, giving way to this dryness and then the big bitterness. It's a really incredible feat to move from the sweet to dry realm so quickly.

This is a Belgian beer without the Belgian yeast. Arrogant Bastard only gets better the longer you let it warm up. The fruit flavors and malt profile are amplified the closer that it gets to room temperature. It's a delicious beer, and I can easily see why so many people enjoy it. Overall I'm quite impressed with it, and I have absolutely nothing to add but "wow."

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

"Enjoy by" date of 9/26/10
Poured in to Duvel tulip

A - Medium brown colour with a slight amber glow and two fingers of creamy cream-coloured head.

S - Some bitter hops up front with light citrus and piney notes. A sweet caramel malt profile rounds out the nose.

T - A nice better hope bite up front with some citrus and pine notes. There is a sweet caramel malt flavour that blances this out nicely. The bitter hops linger in the finish. Overall a good palate but a little to malty for me.

D - A good beer but it got a little boring to me after a while.

4.36/5  rDev +4.8%

Arrogant Bastard
Stone Brewing Co.
American Strong Ale
7.2% ABV
OG?
IBUs?
22 oz bomber with a freshness date of November 08, 2010 poured into a Maredsous chalice on September 22, 2010.

Appearance 5/5
Rust brown colored, clear, with a great tan color creamy head that stayed and left it's impression on the glass; kickass!

Aroma 4/5
Hops! Piney, citrusy, herbal, and grassy. People say it all the time, and I agree, that Stone has a way with hops.

Taste 4/5
Firm and "heavy" bitterness full of the hop flavor that was found in the aroma. I cannot tell what separates it from a good AIPA but it's not an AIPA by the style guidelines; and the taste is in accordance: I have always attached a "light" taste as opposed to "heavy" taste to IPAs, so it's an Strong Ale alright! I can see, if not explain, why they invented a style for it.

Mouthfeel 5/5
Medium body that balances the bitterness well. The carbonation level would propel it to the crisp category. It's not the refreshing kind, but it's an experimental style very well done. For the sake of completeness, the finish is very bitter and moderately clean.

Drinkability 5/5
Being good in all other categories implies that the drinkability is high!

4.72/5  rDev +13.5%

First review, so I think I would make it of the best beer i've tried recently...

Tried this on a recent trip to San Diego, not used to the massive selection since I come from an area that is mostly BMC dominated and it's hard to find craft stuff. I remember reading a few excellent reviews of this, and the name really stands out on a page, so I ordered one from the bartender, who seemed pleased with the selection.

Came to me in a Pint Glass, held it up to the light, almost completely opaque and creamy looking. The head was about 2 fingers tall, a little fizzy and off-white, head started disappearing quickly, but left nice lacing all around.

A - This was totally great looking, love the darkness, head fizzed out and made way for just the beer rather quickly.

S- Powerful, black pepper, cedar/woodsy, coffee. It's very strong, and very bitter smelling, the hops is very dense. I like this a lot, it's a very heavy smell.

T- Amazing. The bitterness is powerful, the hops washes over my tongue and I can see why this is so highly rated. It's a nice strong flavor that is full of spiciness, bitterness, and sweetness all at the same time.

M - Feels really nice, leaves a great feeling, and an aftertaste that lingers with the liquid that remains.

D - This is a great beer, everything about it was spot on. Not something you can just slam back, heavy, but definitely one of my favorite beer experiences so far.

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

Poured into a snifter from a bomber.

After hearing so much about this beer, I had to give it a shot, so here we go. Appearance is deep mahogany color, reddish amber as you hold it up to the light. Half inch tan head that slides down ever so slowly, leaving some serious lacing. Smell is full of piney hops, with some undertones of sweet caramel malts as well as some citrus notes. Quite nice.

Can definitely taste that pine in the initial sip, with just a bit of malt before the hoppy bitterness steps in and overrides pretty much everything. Strong, strong hop bitterness. I'm able to pick out some more subdued malty notes as well as some citrus nuances. Finish is bitter, bitter, bitter with just a hint of alcohol that becomes more noticeable as the brew warms. Absolutely coats the tongue. It lingers long into the aftertaste. Definitely deserves the 'strong' classification. Mouthfeel is firm and solid, with a good amount of carbonation. No qualms with that.

Drinkability is certainly better than a BMC offering, but the bitterness definitely takes some getting used to. It absolutely lives up to its moniker, as this beer is definitely arrogant, definitely strong, almost brutal. Too intense to merit any more than I've already had.

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

On atap at Maggies on the River, Watertown, NY.

A: Dark mahogany color with a small thick head that fades to lacing.

S: Malt & grain aroma with a trace of citrus mixed in.

T: Starts with a nice crispness & moves to a nice malt with come citrus taste. Has a nice bitter finish with a slight nutty aftertaste.

F: Medium body, quite smooth and the 7.2 ABV peeking through not overpowering.

D: Good Brew, nice for the style. Nicely balanced, a really good sipper when kicking back.

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%

The first time I had this beer, I thoroughly enjoyed it, so I decided to get a case of it to enjoy throughout the year. I'm still pretty new to the reviewing game, so here goes!

Bottle Appearance: Very cool bottle, and the humor on the labels makes it quite a good laugh to read. My favorite quote being on the case "Keep Refrigerated, Numbskull!"

Appearance: Very nice looking beer out of the bottle, leaves a very nice head, that hangs around quite a while, and leaves very nice lacing. Almost a copper red color to it, and the head was a nice tan.

Smell: Very strong scent of pine (because of the hops, I believe) However, there are other scents intermingling. I smelled also a bit of malt to it, almost like a caramel scent, and also a hint of a lemon zest to it, there is also a slightly roasted malt quality to it too, which gives a very nice depth to the scent.

Taste: Very hoppy. There is a taste of citrus that appears also with the hops.The malt does a great job balancing it out, and only gets bitter at the finish. I get almost a piney taste at first, and then the flavor simply explodes, lemon zest and hints of caramel in the beer, it's absolutely a joy to the senses, The finish of the beer is very dry. However, all the flavors are quite strong, which may scare some people away.

Mouthfeel: There was a bit of carbonation to it, which gave the beer a very interesting mouthfeel, the beer would almost coat the palate.

Drinkability: I find it to be pretty drinkable, however the strong flavor profile definitely doesn't make this a session beer (at least to me). This is a beer that I could have when I want a darn good beer, and want to know how real beer should taste.

Overall: A Bastard Everyone can love!

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

On Cask at Thirsty Monk with "American Oak Chips" added. Tasted 1 hour after it was tapped and set on the top of the bar. I found the cask to be a lot more mellow (in aroma, taste, hop-bite, and carbonation) than the original Bastard. This special cask version had a buttery taste and texture, with just the merest hint of wood. Whereas one Arrogant Bastard will leave my tongue dry, I was able to down two glasses with tongue and mouth intact. Once warmed up, the pine aroma wafted tantalizingly from the glass.

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.