Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,915 | Hads: 9,991
3.86/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a big boy beer! An enjoyable Strong Ale, but very unique with a lot of nuance. I enjoyed it way more, closer to room temp. Sweet up front with a late bitter bite way after the finish. I can't believe it took so long for me to try this one.

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a big, badass beer. I don't have much to add to the previous reviews. Arrogant Bastard looks great, smells good, and has layers of tastes. Caramel malts, candy, a bit of coffee and cola. This is definitely not a session beer - it kicks you right in the teeth, then smiles at you.

3.53/5  rDev -15.3%

Pours brown with a fading head.
Nose shows sweet rich malt, caramel, piny and resinous hops.
Similar rich, malty and bitter flavours. Comes off a little abrasive, could use a bit more sweet clean malt.

4.27/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I will admit this is not the first time I have had this beer. Long ago and many beers back I thought I was up to the task of drinking this beer. Intimidation was the key to the label, but I thought I had a palate that could handle it. I was wrong, it turned out to be a drain pour. I know? Crazy! So many years later here I have returned to see where I am with this one...

Appearance: Nice amber almost brown ale appearance. Head retention is pretty solid as well throughout the imbibing of this bastard.

Aroma: Sweet candied malts, some hop presence but not a lot. This beer reminds me a lot of a dopplebock in that regard. Which the first time I drank it I had no idea what the hell a dopplebock was!

Taste: Sweet candied malts dominate, some bittering hops but nothing really that intense. Its a well rounded beer in that regard. Its a well balanced beer and very tasty.

Overall: I will admit this one has had some cellar time so it might have lost some hop bitterness. I remember it being extremely bitter the first time I tried it. I do not get that this time around. Its pretty well balanced over all and not nearly what the experience I had was the first time around. So, I guess I have lapped this one in its arrogance! Who's the arrogant bastard now?

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Despite not being a style I would drink regularly, the IPA Hunter® owed it to himself to finally get around to reviewing this legendary beer. I like Stone; after all, they do hops, and they do it well. Getting a lot of fresh-baked bread and sugary sweetness on the nose. A bit like raisin bread, but very subdued. Not overwhelming; simply complimentary. Taste follows the nose, but there's unmistakable citrus hops on the finish. On the real. A bit prickly on the tongue, while not being exhausting or heavy on the mouthfeel. There's a fine line between arrogance and supreme confidence. Stone knew what they were doing with this one. I haven't been this excited while drinking a non-IPA since the last time I saw Lorna Morgan rocking some tasteful lingerie. Larrrrrrge!

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

Can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet, it's one of my favorite "go to" beers. Very malty, lots of fresh citrus fruit, and a lovely dry, bitter finish. Fantastic beer + very reasonable price = me coming back time and time again.

3.56/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: [4.25] Beer is a light brown color in the glass. It appears to be mostly transparent. Forms a nice 1 1/2 finger head. The head is an off-white color and has nice staying power. The beer lists the ABV at 7.2% and a best by date of 2/17/15 (in 10 days).

S: [3.25] Smells of bread and malt. The malt is a sweet smell like brown sugar - but not very intense.

T: [3.50] The beer is malt forward at first with a sweet taste out of the gate. Subsequent sips build the bitter from the hops (I have found this with other Stone beers). If you take it slow the balance works really well. I am not getting specific flavors just the sensations of sweet and bitter.

M: [3.75] This beer has low carbonation - it actually felt like a nitro to me at first. The dominant mouth feel characteristic is the long dry finish.

O: [3.75] The balance is there on this beer. The nose was a little weak and I am not getting specific flavor elements on the taste. Overall it is a well made beer. I would drink it again - but might not seek it out. I think that since it is 10 days from expiration it may have lost some punch on the nose and taste.

4.56/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

DATE TASTED: February 6, 2015... GLASSWARE: HopDevil nonick... OCCASION: Cavs going for thirteen in a row--tying a franchise record?... APPEARANCE: serious dark brown body with steady effervescence; thick as snow, creamy, chunky off-white head that craters and clings... AROMA: instant pineapple and peach erupt; earthier textures blanket the scent with caramel malts and some interesting yeasts... PALATE: a powerful, mouth-awakening grip that tingles the teeth to the ears; creamy, formidable, and crunchy--in other words, a balanced ale...TASTE: as expected, a brutal malt swamp that holds its ground against a hop-laden West Coast citrus pucker--quite agreeable in its arrogance; love the lingering bitterness on the tongue and teeth, even as the strength of the malt dissipates...OVERALL: an American classic that lives up to its hype again and again--attractive, strong, assertive, alcoholic, reasonably priced and available in bombers or sixes; a versatile and instant mood changer, despite the Cavs' losing...

4.31/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

pours a dark amber/brown color with a solid white head.

the aroma is subdued but with more malt.

the taste of this beer has a nice hop bite, more piney than anything. not a citric beer at all.

goes down smooth, no complaints here.

i had this beer over 6 months ago and i didn't like it. for whatever reason it did nothing for me. now, it is a different story. i actually like this and would certainly buy this again. more hoppy taste than i remember and it goes down more smoothly. glad i revisited this

4.72/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great combo of malt and hops and the yeast tops it off and brings it together with a subtle sweetness and velvety feel. You really have to look hard to find anything wrong with this one.

3.81/5  rDev -8.6%

Nice thick head that you can float a bottle cap on. Very strong malt smell and flavor, and heavy aftertaste. This is not a beer for beginners, nor the faint of heart. I am fairly new to the beer tasting scene, and this is very strong and defiantly way out of my league. I read the reviews and wanted to try it out. It's gonna be a while before I try this one again. But considering other reviews from the more experienced beer drinkers this is a great beer.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

If being destroyed and overwhelmed by bitterness, in your face hops, and unsubtle alcohol is your thing, then this is one of the best out there. Enjoy!

3.99/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Loved this one! The bitterness is good & strong but not obnoxious or unnecessarily so. The malt profile is clean & balanced with a slight powdered sugar aftertaste. Some strong ales & barleywines are too sweet for my taste but this one pulls off the balance nicely.

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This Ale is not for the faint of Heart,it is a very complex Brew,and if your average light beer drinker tried some,they would have their face ripped off,No this Beer is for people who enjoy Strong Ale's and full flavors,and Man OH Man,does this Brew have some gr8 Flavors!Nice and Hoppy,with a Medium ~Heavy mouth Feel,right off the Bat you get that awesome Grapefruit smell and taste,with a nice dash of Piney notes,along with tropical fruits,Carmel,toffee and so much other stuff going on it's as though you pickup something New every time you drink from yer glass,and while 7.2 A.B.V. is not really a high A.B.V. for this type of Ale,it is probably a brew you want to drink @ Home,or if you are out,make sure you have a designated driver or take a cab,because this stuff is so damn drinkable,tasty & plain Delicious,you will want to keep drinking it ,and that 7.2% A.B.V. WILL Catch up to you before you know it, now the double Bastard @ 11% A.B.V. is a real Ass Kicker,...and [IMHO] even Better~Cheers & Peace 2 all;]

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

As soon as I crack open the bottle I instantly can smell the hoppy goodness that is within. As I sip the beer I taste notes of grapefruit. It appears to be a dark amber like color and it definitely goes down very smooth. This is one of my top 5 go to beers that's for sure. Very complex and very good!!

4.53/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Every time I feel that my tastebuds need their asses kicked, this is the beer that I buy. Intensely full flavored and hoppily bottled arrogance. I like to think that I am worthy of such a brutal beer from time to time.

3.6/5  rDev -13.7%

Very coarse both in taste and feel. Heavy blend of both hops and malt. I see this one got some strong ratings but it's not for me. Given that so many people seem to like this one, maybe I'll try it again in a year or two as my tastes continue to change and re-rate at that time.

4.92/5  rDev +18%

I don't even wanna write a full review, I just want to say about this is like mana of the gods and every time I've purchased it I have been totally satisfied. I don't even flinch despite the price tag. Drink this

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Okay, you Arrogant Bastard, it's time to get served.

Appearance: Pours a gorgeous copper/brown into a tulip glass. A nice, foamy tan head with decent lacing adorns the crown of the glass.

Aroma: Strong earth tones. A pungent smell, almost like being in a cavern. And there's a cedar-like, forest quality to it as well.

Taste: I was expecting to get knocked on my backside by the hops, but that didn't happen. Instead, the complexity of the flavors slowly rolled over me like a tide. This is a very well-balanced ale. Again, there's that earthy taste to it, along with a gentle carbonation that tickles the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied and bitter on the back end, but not overly so. A nice, almost sandy tingle all the way through.

Overall: "Complex" is generally a word bereft of true meaning, but if you want to get an idea what beer drinkers mean when they say it's "complex," then drink this. The tongue-in-cheek reference to being unworthy because you lack the sophistication to truly appreciate this beer actually comes through. I like it. I am very impressed.

I've had this numerous times in pint glasses, snifters and tulips.
Today's review is in a snifter.
The appearance was a hazy golden orange color with a one finger white foamy head that dissipated within seconds leaving some light lacing running here and there around the glass.
The smell, wooeee, wow and hot damn, pure strong bitter hop oils of citrus and pine combining and doing this beer its due service of "strong" alright.
The taste was pure bittersweet bliss of combined citrus and pine. There's a nice big pine oil aftertaste leading to a dry finish.
The mouthfeel sat about a medium on the body with a decent sessionability about it. Actually, wait a minute, eh, perhaps closer to a decent sipping quality about it. Its just that this one really grabs your tongue for a good pummeling that its kinda hard to put down exactly how sessionable this one really is. Its definitely brutal like an AIPA.
Overall, in my opinion, this one does what I believe Stone meant to do, its "arrogance" is bitter but isn't exactly one I'd have with food. Just one makes a good session.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22oz bomber.

L- Nice dark amber with a creamy, tan head. Heavy lacing tendrils.

S- Mild nose. Hops up front with a malty, dry yeast note.

T- Resiny. Sticks with you. Starts with a spicy caramel note and goes into citrus peel and vanilla. Hard, piney hops everywhere. I can still taste them 5 minutes after my last drink. Not a bad thing.

F- Smooth yet viscous. It's not heavy, but it sticks with you. Medium carbonation.

o- Pleasant and complex. This is why I drink beer.

4.54/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love this beer!

But it's what got me started on craft, so I'm as biased as possible...

Pours a beautiful deep redish brown with a very light tan head. Smell is much more subtle than the name would imply but it gives you just enough hint at what's to come. Taste is where this beer makes its kill move, so smooth yet all the qualities that you want from a complex brew. As an IPA guy I love ther bitter bite at the end. Overall, this is my favorite beer, it's the beer I would constantly have fresh on tap in my house if possible.

4.68/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 22 oz. bomber to pint glass.

A: Clear, deep garnet/ ruby appearance. Big head that is tan. Not incredibly carbonated.
S: Piney hops and sweet bready malts. Notes of clove and cinnamon.
T: Up front there is dark toasted malt with coffee note, but is balanced by intense hop flavor of pine and grapefruit. Other citrus flavors like orange and peach come through in the middle of the palate. Ends with a powerful finish and aftertaste where you can taste dark grains and soapy hops. Very nice.
M: Medium. Hops and toasted malt really stick with you throughout the taste.
O: Great beer. Not for everyone. Essentially a Red IPA with powerful hop presence. Love it!

4.31/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I was at an italian restaurant when I saw this name on the menu!... I had to try it. The alcohol content on this one must be high, because one of these big bottle s and i was G to the O-N-E. I just remember it tasting really awesome. I have had more and plan to drink more when I can. I'm sorry, I don't have any better details then this, but that's all I remember!

4.16/5  rDev -0.2%

Stone Brewing 'Arrogant Bastard Ale' @ 7.2% , originally tasted on tap @ GCBF'11 , this review from a 650 ml bottle purchased for $7.50
A-pour is a golden/brown from the bottle to an amber in the glass with a medium size beige head leaving a streaky lace along the VBW sampler
S-earthy hops ,
T-big tasting ale with a dry finish
MF-ok carbonation , feels full bodied
Ov-good beer , almost great , & I AM WORTHY
prost LampertLand

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.