Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance: Upon initial inspection I was like, damn that is brown!!! Actually, this bastard poured a cloudy orange hued amber when held up to the light. The off-white head was fizzy and quickly receeded, leaving a sheet of head and subtle lacing.

Smell: The malts are extremely sweet, date like almost. There is a nice hoppy aroma that lends citrusy fruit zest to the nose. I also picked up hints of vanilla that was very welcoming.

Taste: This brew was very hoppy, more so than I was expecting going on smell alone. The hoppy bitterness is the underlying characteristic, and a nice malty backbone smoothes everything over. There is also a satisfying bite of alcohol on the finish.

Mouthfeel: It is full of carbonation, keeping the tastebuds honest I say. AB is definitely crisp and has a drying bitter finish, but it goes down oh so smooth.

Drinkability: This is a very drinkable beer. It is extremely well crafted with no quality being overwhelming. I have reviewed both the oaked and unoaked versions...I enjoyed both, but probably would rather have the unoaked myself.

ncstateplaya, Dec 30, 2008
3.33/5  rDev -20%

GLASS: Young's Imperial Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees

Pours a nice dark brown/amber. Medium pour produces a good two-finger head of lightly tan foam. Retention is very good and lacing is slightly impressive.

Nice, big caramely malt notes. Citrus hops notes, mostly grapefruit. Very bready.
For such a 'big' beer, I expected a bigger nose.

Starts with a kiss of sweet caramel and brown sugar on top of some dark fruits. Just before you can get into that, though, it blasts you with the bitter bite of big citrusy hops.
Needs to be a touch more balanced. The hops overpower everything else.

Good body. It's at the higher end of medium, on the scale. Almost gets into full-bodied, but not quite.

It's very good, but could be so much better with more balance. Not my favorite from Stone, although it is their flagship brew.

coldmeat23, Dec 30, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +10.6%

Contrary to the opinion written on the bottle, I found myself to be worthy of this beer. I must be pretty damn sophisticated. This one pours a deep, dark brown with a nice head and has a nice aroma and a nice malt taste with a huge bitter hop finish.

Wackyfoot, Dec 30, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Ruby amber colored with a nice fluffy two fingers of tan head that leaves decent lacing down the glass. Smells of toffee and caramel,fresh bread dough and grapefruity hops. The taste starts sweet and caramely then becomes nice and hoppy, a beautiful combination of massive flavors that pummel the palate. Complexity improves as it warms. Medium heavy mouthfeel, it coats your throat and sticks to your ribs. Highly drinkable, I always forget how good this stuff really is. Very nice.

biggred1, Dec 29, 2008
4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Pours a frothy dark amber, thick head and heavy lacing.

Notes of caramel and citrus in abundance, I took a minute to put on my wonder woman underoos at this point, and continued with caution. This is a big beer.

The taste is a wonderful balance of over-hopping and over-malting that continues all the way into a strong lingering finish. This is an arrogant bastard of beer that is hard not to love. It is powerful shit that doesn't need to offer apologies.

grayburn, Dec 27, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

S = Big notes of pine and citrus with sweet malt in the background.

T = Huge blast of pine and orange zestiness upfront. A sweet, caramel maltiness controls the hop and pine bitterness for a great balance. Finish was bitter-sweet and no alcohol detected.

MF = Rich, thick body with moderate carbonation. Very creamy.

Overall, this is a well balanced, super hoppy ale that goes down very easy.

Riverwarrior, Dec 27, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Two fingers of tan head. Looks like icea tea, only darker.

Malty chocolate in the nose. Mouthfeel is like a porter...if it didn't sale ale on the bottle I would have guessed this to be a porter.

Really nice lacing. The finish will keep you busy. It starts off a bit sweet, then you notice what I think may be orange peel, it's bitter but not hoppy bitter. Then the 7.2% alcohol warms your mouth.

RickS95, Dec 23, 2008
3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours a deep amber almost brown color with a creamy tan head with good retention. Great strong lacing.

Aroma is very hoppy with lots of caramel malts. Dark fruits come through.

Flavor is the same as above with substantial bitterness. A little spicy too.

Full bodied smooth and creamy.

Drinkable indeed.

hoplover82, Dec 23, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

Appearance - poured into a snifter with two fingers of tan head, beer is a deep amber with some crimson color, head subsides over a few minutes to a thin layer and solid ring where beer meets glass

Smell - piney hops, brown sugar/molasses notes, grapefruit aromas, some toffee or caramel as well, as the Bastard warmed hints pineapple came forth as well

Taste - light malt sweetness on the front that gives away to pine and citrus hop flavors, the hop profile sticks to the palate until the next sip, also picking up some slight bread and biscuit, as the beer warms it balances enough to make sure the hops aren't overpowering but still leaving them in the forefront

Mouthfeel - very full and smooth, slight astringency, great carbonation

Drinkability - this Bastard is magnificent, would definitely drink again

I had been waiting to try Arrogant Bastard until I developed the taste for hops and am glad that did. This is a great beer that I don't think I would have fully appreciated before. I'm proud to say that I am worthy!

DoShek, Dec 22, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A-Pours a clear deep copper color with a decent foamy head. Leaves a nice lacing in the glass.

S- The first thing I detect is hops. Slightly citrus sweetness with a hint of alcohol.

T- A somewhat dry sweetness with plenty of hops. Well balanced, though the more I drink the more the hops coat the tongue. Leaves a sweet grassy aftertaste.

M-VERY smooth. Slides over the tongue like silk. Carbonation is perfect.

D- This brew goes down way too easy....

JayNH, Dec 21, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

This is my first review and I just had to say something about this beer. At 21 I have already developed a bitter taste for brews. I'm always searching for something I haven't tried yet that will leave my mouth tingling from bitterness. Once I saw this brew said "You're not worthy" I knew I had to try. It poured almost a brown which was cloudy with bubbles rising from the depths instantly. I chilled it to a near freezing temperature because I love cold brew, this might have made it more stronger tasting but I loved it. I can barely describe the taste because it changes so much so fast. After a swallow an immediate hoppy bitterness congregated on my palate. A fantastic beer! And still as my pilsner glass sits it is covered from top to bottom in the thickest lacing I've ever seen. A must do for any beer connoisseur!

DunDun, Dec 21, 2008
3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

22oz bomber poured into an imperial pint

Appears a deep red, with a bit of a murky presence. A large, cream colored head rose two+ fingers. Excellent lacing coats my glass.

Dried dark fruits, raisins/figs, spicy hops, and clean caramel malt. Notes of fusel alcohol are present.

Sweet, grapefruit hops come to the forefront. Caramel, dried dark fruit, raisins and an underlying smokiness. A good amount of bitterness from the hops lingers.

Full-bodied, thick and chewy. Moderate carbonation.

A little boozy, but still, on par for the style.

ColForbinBC, Dec 20, 2008
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

We're planning a trip to San Diego early next year and the Stone brewery is on our sightseeing list. I've heard so many good thing about Stone Brewery so I thought I'd do some prep work prior to our trip. I picket up a 22oz bottle of Arrogant Bastard on my latest trip to the beer store.

A - Ales typically aren't my thing but this one looked like someting special when I poured it into my Unibroue goblet
S - The alcohol scent was a little strong and also a little hoppy but this is an strong ale afterall.

T - The tast also had a strong flavor of hops but this is the style. I could really start to enjoy this style if more beers were like this one.

D - Went down extrememly smooth. I enjoyed this more than I exbected.

M - This beer is very well done. I will definitely get some more of this on my next trip to my local beer store.

tdawgydog, Dec 20, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Grabbed a 22 oz. bottle of this at a Fred Meyer. Poured into a large tumbler glass.

Smell from the bottle was rather mild... from the glass a little better but still hid much of it's strength. Basic hoppy ale notes, nothing big on smell.

Poured a nice cola color, very red indeed. Nice bubbly head that faded rather fast... some small lacing.

Very hearty to the taste. Strong malt notes. Very thick and earthy. Has a nice bright bitter hop flare to it. Does have a bit of a burn from the alcohol content. Don't drink this one after having a few of something else... it will push you over the top fast. Leaves the mouth a bit dry, and with a barrel aged alcohol aftertaste.

Docer, Dec 19, 2008
3.03/5  rDev -27.2%

Had on tap at the Office in Morristown NJ in a 16oz pint glass.

Appearance: Nice amber brown colored ale. Yielded a strong 2 to 3 finger head that dissapated very slowly. Nice lacing, the glass was covered by the end of the session.

Smell: Smelled a little funky, but in a good way. Strong hops and malts came through, a little bit of alcohol as well. Some fruitiness, but overall not very explosive or memorable.

Taste: This was memorable. It tasted like an IPA from a mediocre brew pub that had been filtered through a sock. Very funky, almost feet like taste covered my palate. Alcohol flavors take over the beers other flavors only hindered slightly by the essence of feet.

Mouthfeel: A little bit too carbonated, but overall not bad viscosity. Would have expected a slightly thicker feeling ale from its strong aromas and taste.

Drinkability: I can see where a lot of people would like this beer. Myself however, cannot get over the overwhelming taste of socks. It had some high points aswell, like its full bodied flavor with complexities if you look for them. Overall, i think its an acquired taste as many beers are, but its definately a beer you should try if you see it on tap just based on its uniqueness.

Augustiner719, Dec 17, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from a 22-ounce bomber, without any discernible freshness date.

Apeearance: Lovely dark brown with pockets of amber through which light shines. Medium head that fades fairly quickly, leaving behind nice lacing. A bit darker than I imagined.

Nose: Dried fruit, grapefruit, a bit of alcohol. A very nice introduction to that awesome taste that follows.

Taste: I hope I'm worthy! Big taste explosion, with immediate hop presence that fades into a rush of malt on the finish. Bitterness stays on the tongue -- don't expect to enjoy many weaker beers after this one. Certainly for big hop-heads, as this beer leaves a big presence everywhere the beer has touched.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated, relatively heavy. Hope you like hops on the end!

Drinkability: Well, I could drink more and more of this same beer, but probably not many others.

All in all, a really awesome brew that separates the hop-heads from those who aren't. I'll count myself in the former.

Intelligentsia, Dec 17, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

This was originally the strongest (tasting) ale I ever tried until the Double Bastard. Pours ruby red and brown with a short off-white head. Dense, malty aroma, with some dried fruits and a boozy undertone. Big malt and cascade hop combination, with a sweet caramel-like backing. The alcohol is always in the forefront. Slightly wooden, and this isn't the oak-aged. One of the best beers.

magictrokini, Dec 16, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a rich mahogany (and smells of many leatherbound books...just kidding) with ruby tinted edges. Very thin head on this one.

Smell is primarily caramel malt. Hints of floral hops but the six months this one has on it has mellowed that out somewhat. Taste is sweet with a hint of chocolate, some nice tannins, and an incredibly balanced finish. Awesome sweet, bitter finish if that makes any sense.

Medium bodied with a slick, but not quite oily mouthfeel. Drinkability is great. I almost wish I wasn't sharing this with some friends. Delicious!

daythree16, Dec 16, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle:

A: The beer poured a nice deep red with a huge white head that was retained well.

S: Aroma was really good, one of those upon sticking your nose in it, you want to try. It was hoppy with some sweet malts, a touch of alcohol and some pine. Really well balanced aroma.

T: Strong roasted, smokey malts with some hints of hops, floral, pine and citrus.

M/D: The beer was rich and full bodied, but smooth and easy to drink, yet chewy. The beer had a slightly sweet and bitter finish to it. Too bad I only had one that night. Very well done beer, top notch for the style.

PhillyStyle, Dec 15, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

A- Dark red with a gold tinge. Head was huge at about 3 inches. Retention was about one finger. Lacing is very big along the sides of the glass.

S- A bit of a citrus smell along with hints of caramel and even a bit of a light coffee scent.

T- Love it. One of the most well balanced beers I've ever had. Initially get some chocolate, caramel and malts and then the citrus background comes thru. I'm quite impressed with the balance of this beer.

M- Malts make this one thick and chewy. No alcohol taste at all. Starts thick, finishes bitter, as the hops come thru in the end.

D- I could sit and drink these all night. Delicious.

tadowdaddy, Dec 15, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

A: Hazy, Reddish-brown with a creamy .5 inch head. Some lacing present.

S: Fruity caramel malt, grapefruit

T: Complex. Sweet carmel malt at first with a fruity citrus hops right behind. Slight bitterness in the finish. Toasted grain aftertaste. Very nice.

M: Texture is just right. Good carbonation and solid mouthfeel as one would expect from a beer name Arrogant Bastard.

D: I like this beer. Balanced flavors and good texture make me want more of this.

Japerrault, Dec 14, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Being from Chicago, when I was in San Diego I knew that it was imperative to try out some good local brews, especially from Stone Brewery. I saw this one at a liquor store the first night I was in town, and I read the label:

"This is an aggressive beer. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste of sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth..."

Wow, I would have gotten it based on the name, the gargoyle, or the first line, but this beer is actually daring me to drink it. Ok, I said, let's get a 22 oz bottle and see if I can handle it.

Well, needless to say I was quite impressed. This beer kicks your ass and wonders why you are being such a wuss while taking your beating.

Appearance: Deep, dark amber with a thick off-white head that goes absolutely nowhere. As you sip it down the lace reminds you of every level the beer had been at previously. Wow, it's hard to make a beer look any better.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Smell: Strong hops, a bit of alcohol, strong roasted malt. I definitely smell and advanced bouquet of spices and fruit, with just a floral hint as well. A very complex aroma.

Taste: Bam! Arrogant bastard hits you with an assault of roasted malt, bringing a strong flash of caramel at first. The roasted malt also brings forth some chocolate flavors, with just a hint of vanilla as well. Just before the alcohol kicks in, I can taste a bite of cloves, which is a nice touch. From the middle on out, the hops clearly dominate. There is a fruit taste I can't quite distinguish exactly, but the bitterness is clearly there. Right at the end there is a slight, mild sweetness, with the hops still carrying the flavor.

Mouthfeel: Although medium bodied, this packs such a punch. The roasted malt adds a chewy aspect to the feel.

Drinkability: I only had to take off a half point because I wish you could session this one. It might take you 20 or so of these to figure out all of the smells and flavors.

As mentioned above, the brewers are not lying when they say this is not for the faint of heart. Don't give this to your friend who you are trying to ween off Miller Lite.

KickInTheChalice, Dec 13, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

on tap poured into pint glass

a: dark brown amber, decent 1/2" head that retains well

s: carmel and coffee, slight hint of yeast and hop bitterness

t: sweet malt with a nice hop bitterness underneath.

m&d: medium bodied beer, finishes slightly dry.

Another Solid Ale

Cheers!!

UDbeernut, Dec 13, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -5%

A - One and a half fingers of off-white head on a reddish brown body with good clarity and ruby colored highlights. The head reasonable retention and leaves excellent lace. An unusually nice looking beer.

S - Spicy, floral hops and a strong backbone of caramel and malt.

T - Strong, smoky hop bitterness, supported by dark caramel malt and a hint of roast barley. The hop flavor has a secondary role with spicy and floral flavors and a bit of citrus. Strong hop bitterness and dark malt characterize the finish.

M - A thick, chewy body, moderate carbonation, and a slightly sweet finish.

D - This is a pretty intense beer, but as every word on the bottle indicates, they were not trying to make a session beer. The hops are very aggressive and while the malt does its best to keep up with them, they dominate the flavor profile. Personally, I would prefer less emphasis on bitterness and more complex and subtle hop flavor, but that might also require less dark malt to let the hops shine through. Overall, this is an enjoyable and interesting beer, but there are better west coast hop-bombs out there.

nickfl, Dec 12, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

When I first started my adventures in beer drinking then tasting, I heard about this beer. It peaked my curisoity as to what in the heck all the fuss was about. My brother who travels alot got this beer for me. I wasn't dissapointed with this beer.

Appearance: Is a beautiful dark brownish amber hue with a one finger head.
Nose: The aroma off this beer is wonderful and it make my mouth salivate. There is nice toasted malt, floral, citrus, hints of resin.
Taste: A is full body, very aggressive with the hops, there is a nice complex malt backbone that stand up to the aggressive hops. There are notes of citrus, alcohol, resin and esters.
The finish is lasting, make you want to drink more. Very well made beer

colts9016, Dec 12, 2008
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.