Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
tpd975

4.68/5  rDev +12.2%

This is one of my absolute favorite beers. I first drank it in a fisherman’s bar in Alaska. There is no doubt about it.... this was my gateway beer, it sent me in search of other true "craft" brews.

A: A nice mahogany red in color. Big thick 3 finger head at the initial pour. There is nice lacing left behind as I pounded this one.

S: Very nice and hoppy. There is definite pine and citrus with hints of caramel and molasses.

T: This is where this beer shines. At first swallow I taste the pine, very resiny. Then the hops come on the scene. It finishes very malty bready almost with the taste of hops still lingering. Perfectly Balanced.

M: Medium bodied and ever so smooth and creamy.

D: I love this beer and could drink it by the growler full until I was fall down drunk.

Overall: As I said I give this beer credit for turning me into the beer geek / hophead that I am. Before trying this beer I was happy consuming BMC with an occasional micro brew on the side. When I left Alaska I did not see it again for several years. In the meantime I began to reach out to other brewers in the attempt to find something special.

Today every time I travel I keep an eye out for Arrogant Bastard since it is not yet available in Florida. I see her as an old flame, a lost love. Every time we reunite there are sparks which brings me back to my trip to Alaska, one of the greatest experiences of my life. Thank you Stone for making this beer which brought me out of my shell and sent me in search of other great craft brews. But most of all thank you for bring out the Arrogant Bastard in me.

Now go F**k yourself...just kidding...you have to excuse me I just pounded a bomber and that’s the Arrogant Bastard coming out of me.

07-24-2007 00:46:32 | More by tpd975
HappyHourHero

Indiana

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%

On a whim I checked to see if I had reviewed this beer during one of the other 100 times I've drank a bottle. Turns out I haven't, but that may make this the first of the 1100+ reviews for Arrogant Bastard carried out in Germany. Thanks to the misses for brining this back with her. Enough of stuff you don't care about...

Poured an amazingly fine light-brown head that looked like it belonged on a Stout, and left strings of lace. Deep mahogany colored beer has a ruby glow when back lit. Aroma is bursting with pineapple along with candy sugar, alcohol, and rum. A half ton of citrus hop flavor rides a firm base of malty goodness. Finishes fairly bitter, but with lots of flavor to balance it out. The bitterness doesn't seem to disappear completely, and builds up over time. Innnnteresting. While the body is full the mouthfeel is soft and smooth making for a soothing drink. Boy do I miss this beer.

07-22-2007 21:43:31 | More by HappyHourHero
kcillini77

Kansas

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

Picked up in CA and brought back with me to KS. Wish Stone would start distributing to the midwest. Anyway...

Smells of raisins and hops. Deep, rich flavor. Alcohol more evident than expected in an under eight percenter. Almost like an abby ale with a hoppy kick. Very enjoyable, and you have to love the pure arrogance all over the bottle. Great job, Stone!

07-19-2007 04:45:42 | More by kcillini77
Halcyondays

4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pours a dark ruby red, almost brown with a thick yellowish tan head which lasts for the whole glass, unbelievable lacing, thick and rich.

S: Dark toasty bready malts and piney hops.

T: Much of the same as in the smell, toasty bready malts start out the flavor, backed by incredibly strong piney hop bitterness.

M: Smooth, resiny, a bit oily, a good American Strong Ale.

D: As warned on the label, this ale is definitely not for a novice beer drinker. Strong flavors abound, good drinkability though, a great beer from Stone, definitely shows what they're about.

07-16-2007 06:28:07 | More by Halcyondays
MrMcGibblets

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

there's just something about pouring a beer into it's own glass that makes it more appealing. this one is a dark, hazy, ruby-brown with tan head and lacing. pretty powerful and complex aroma of molasses, caramel, dark stone fruits, rum, mugicha (roasted barley tea), and resiny pine. taste is a lighter than expected malt sweetness cleaned out by a considerable roasty hop bitterness. a bit astringent on the finish. medium in body. this would stand up well to hearty and richly flavored foods (barbecued ribs, anyone?), and more than hold it's own with a cigar, which is this beer's next mission. definitely a sipper.
note: have had much more of this in the interim. both maltier and hoppier than previously noted, and more complex. a heavy hitting, big beer.

07-16-2007 01:33:10 | More by MrMcGibblets
InDreams

Maryland

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

Let me begin by saying that this is the third time I've tried Arrogant Bastard. The first time, I just flat out disliked it. It was, perhaps, too aggressive for me back then. I then got a bottle and aged it 6 months or so. Tried it, appreciated the quality a bit more, but still didn't quite enjoy it. Now, I'm out in Cali again staying at an older brothers and I stumble upon a bottle I bought for him when I bought Arrogant Bastard the first time. It's from April 2005, and he drinks Heineken Light so I guess he was too boring to try it. Now, 2+ years old, this beers kicks ass. Seriously.

Poured out of a 2+ yr old bottle into a snifter.

A: Clutch; a rich mahogany with at least 2 fingers of tan-colored head that lingers throughout and leaves a satisfying lace all around the glass. Dark, sure, but not thick.

S: Blend of vanilla and woody malts are the first thing I get. Definitely lots of hops too; citrusy. When I take a sip I also pick up on the caramel character of the malts and, I think, an oak-like character, maybe going back to the woody observation.

T: This is where the aging made it great. Everything's become smooth to the point where none of the flavors really dominate the others. I get the caramel malts, very rich, with hints of that vanilla and oak. Brings to mind brandy and rye bread. As soon as the beer hits the back of your mouth it's all about the hops. Still very powerful but mellowed out enough that it doesn't smack you in the face. There's a moment of citrus, but less than expected. Floral and grassy notes take over pretty quickly, with that dry hop bitterness that begs another sip. Crisp, strong, but very complex. No traces of alcohol.

M: Certainly not a heavy beer, but pretty full-bodied regardless. Carbonation has mellowed on mine, but still pretty crisp. Quite pleasant.

D: Well I'll have to try a fresh bottle again to be sure, but I'll be damned if this old bottle of Arrogant Bastard isn't one of the top beers I've ever had. Complex and rich, with the age making it smooth and the body full and satisfying. Not a session beer, especially with the alcohol content, but certainly something I would never turn down.

07-14-2007 07:00:16 | More by InDreams
youngleo

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Appearance was very good. It poured to about a two fingered head. The head remained for quite a while. The lacing was very evident from the time it was poured until the time it was drank. It left a ring around the glass with every drink. The ale was kind of a reddish brown color, with the head being brownish white. I thought the taste was a bit stronger than most dark beers. It definately had a taste that had to be acquired. Mouthfeel was good with just the right amount of carbonation.After I finished my 22 oz bottle the high alcohol content was evident. It gave my a good head rush that was very enjoyable. If it wasnt for the high price I definately would enjoy this beer more often.

07-12-2007 20:01:03 | More by youngleo
kevinglin

Germany

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass. Deep reddish ruby-amber with a thick, off-white head that persisted for quite some time.
Big hop nose with some spicy, floral characteristics.
Taste is outstanding - the spiciness of the hops are ever-present and the bitterness lingers through the aftertaste, but not so long that I wish it had gone away sooner. The alcohol level is evident in the brew, but not overly hot.
The mouthfeel is lively with a solid level of carbonation, with a clean, fairly dry finish.
Overall an excellent brew to appreciate, higher alcohol content and aggressiveness of the beer as a whole doesn't lend it to being a session beer. I can't see drinking several in an evening, but I can see enjoying one bottle at a time for several evenings to come.

07-06-2007 13:23:50 | More by kevinglin
Monkeyknife

Missouri

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from the bottle a deep clear ruby brown with a thick rich creamy tan head. The staying power of the head is remarkable. Moderate lacing was noted.

Sweet malts, soft caramel and citrusy hops stand out to the nose.

The taste really mirrors the smell. Sweet caramel and malt along with the hoppy bitterness and bite. The alcohol is well hidden.

Medium body with a mellow carbonation.

This ale was everything I expected. Definitely not a sessionable beer but one to enjoy at every opportunity.

07-05-2007 20:03:24 | More by Monkeyknife
ccrida

Oregon

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a shaker pint, Arrogant Bastard is clear ruddy brown, with a huge light khaki head that subsides to thick skim leaving moderate lace.

The nose is caramel malt and citrus hops, but not the same brightness as an IPA, they form an interesting combination that is more then the sum of the parts. Frankly, I'd prefer the hops unadulterated.

The taste is initially malty and grainy, but is quickly obliterated by the hops, finishes dry and bitter. I wonder how fresh the hops are, here they come across more grassy/leafy then much citrus or pine that I would expect. While the taste is pretty strong, it's not the richest strong ale, which is good because the finish quickly beckons another sip.

Light bodied for the style, moderate carbonation.

This is pretty drinkable for the style, but it's ultimately not the most memorable or inspiring ale.

07-01-2007 06:21:15 | More by ccrida
Kendo

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

A: Poured from a 22 oz bomber into the Stone Arrogant Bastard glass -- a tall, somewhat narrow glass that widens slightly as you go up. Sort of like a pilsner glass, but it doesn't taper all the way to a point at the bottom. Anyhow, a 2-finger khaki/tan bubbly head with staying power settles over a dark amber body with mahogany hues when held to the light. Rings and webs of foamy lacing are left behind all the way down the glass.

S: There's a lot going on in the nose: wet, grapefruity hops recall the 10th Anniversary IPA in many ways, but there's also a sugary-sweet malt scent clearly present underneath as well, hinting at brown sugar, berries and dried fruit.

T: Like the nose in a lot of ways -- candied grapefruit on top of big, sweet caramel malt hit the mouth early in the taste. Dry, bitter and even piney or leafy hops linger at the finish, with a hydration-sucking dry tang that makes the mouth water and really encourages the next sip. Great balance between the sweetness of the malt and the big hops, with a long bitter aftertaste lingering.

M: Medium to heavy in heft, and maybe just a tad bit too sharp and prickly in feel.

D: For a strong beer, this is pretty drinkable. It left a pretty solid buzz about 2/3 of the way down the bomber.

Notes: This bottle says it was best by April 30, 2007; I consumed it about 7 weeks beyond that, but I don't think that detracted from it at all. I recently drank a bottle from my cellar that had a best by date of September, 2005 that hadn't aged well; it had lost the hop bite just about completely. Younger, as this one was, it was a better balanced beer, smelled better and was more drinkable. I still liked it better on tap, but this is solid in a bottle too. Just don't let it get too old. . . .

06-28-2007 18:57:04 | More by Kendo
shark262

Colorado

4.05/5  rDev -2.9%

Slightly hazy ruby/amber color with a thick, creamy head. Nice lacing on the sides of my pint glass.

Floral, citrus, semi-sweet caramel and grainy notes come through in the aroma.

The taste comes in pleasing waves: a gentle sweetness hits the front of the palette first, followed by an earthy and gradually strengthening malt/hop combo. Perfumy hops fill the nose while roasted, almost vegetal flavors give way quickly to an aftertaste with a slight alcohol bite and lingering hop bitterness.

Medium-bodied ale with medium carbonation.

Complexity and drinkability in the same package. Great offering from the craft beer world.

06-27-2007 02:01:52 | More by shark262
zeff80

Missouri

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

A - Poured out a dark amber/burgandy color with a foamy, tan, two finger head. Left huge rings of lace.

S - It smelled of malt and powerful hops.

T - It tasted of grassy hop bitterness. The malt flavor is toasty and burnt. Also, a warm alcohol flavor.

M - It was crisp and sharp. A medium to heavy-bodied beer.

D - Great in so many ways. The description on the bottle was hysterical. The taste is outstanding. I am very pleased with my first beer from Stone.

06-27-2007 02:00:56 | More by zeff80
scott

3.93/5  rDev -5.8%

V.07

Dark copper and almost ruby, with an aggressive head that sticks around for a while. Subdued florals, hop and sugar, with a mild bready undertone.
Crisp, dry bitterness with a malty backbone. Somewhat bitter finish. Nothing extraordinary, but far from regular. Not as complex as I would have hoped for, coming from Stone.
Medium bodied, and pretty well structured, but the alcohol is inserting itself, and I'm now experiencing the "gummy snot" in the back of the throat that is working its way up front which is unpleasant.
Mostly easy drinking. Recommended.

06-27-2007 01:00:56 | More by scott
sstackho

Ontario (Canada)

3.43/5  rDev -17.7%

22oz bottle, no freshness date noted. Pours a clear medium brown with little carbonation but lots of head. Strong malty aroma with a good dose of hops on the nose as well. The flavour is less interesting than I was hoping for. Heavy on the malts and not as much hops as I thought there might be, although the hop taste does seem to grow as the beer goes on. I'm afraid I can't rate the Arrogant Bastard nearly as high as most people here - perhaps just not my type.

06-20-2007 04:05:49 | More by sstackho
Daehpoh

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

Served in a pint glass from the tap. Appeared a wonderful dark amber color with a solid one finger head that remained throughout. Aroma of floral hops covered in caramel. The taste is where this flagship of the Stone lineup shines. Great fresh floral and citrus hop flavors combined with caramel, vanilla and slight dark chocolate. Can taste the beginnings of some flavor components that really come out in the oaked version. Very nice velvety feel with medium-heavy body. Good drinkability although it can get quite filling as this is a hefty brew. This is definitely one of my all-time favorites thanks to its bold flavor from both the hop and malt elements.

06-19-2007 18:48:07 | More by Daehpoh
shadow1961

3.63/5  rDev -12.9%

Arrogant Bastard Ale pours a dense tan head over a clear
ruby brew. the nose is herbal hop, malt, and ale yeast. There
is no detectable carbonation in this sample, though the head
seems to have impressive staying power. The flavor is malt
and herbal hop, with an intense grassy hop finish. The mouthfeel
is full and round, yet also a bit astringent due to the big hop
profile. All that flavor makes the 7.2% alcohol by volume a sneaky
surprise. I'm not a big fan of grassy hops, but it you are that kind of
a drinker, this one's for you. Impressive.

06-18-2007 18:13:42 | More by shadow1961
cichief

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber.

A- Pours a very deep amber with a thick tan head.

S- Very powerful nose, spicy, flowery, fruity, with strong malt scent coming through.

T- Powerful, very spicy with a strong alcohol kick, more hoppy than malty, with a dry finish.

M- Reasonably smooth, nice dry finish.

D- A decent strong beer, too many though and you will pay for it.

06-17-2007 21:20:13 | More by cichief
mdm46410

Indiana

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. This ale poured a darker brown with a thick, creamy light brown head that slowly faded. Heavy, heavy lacing. The beer smells like grapefruit and some roasted malts. The beer has a very aggressive bitterness that hits your tounge before you can discern any of the flavors. I tasted grapefruit, toast, pine, and some dark fruit notes. The mouthfeel is slighty resiny, medium-bodied, with a good amount of carbonation. Another high quality brew from Stone.

06-16-2007 03:57:07 | More by mdm46410
adowney523

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured into a pint glass from a 22 oz bomber. Color is deep amber with a tan head.

Smells of freshly cut grass with hints of caramel and smoky scents.

Malt base is smoky with hints of brown sugar and dark bread, but the taste is dominated by the earthy hop finish with a touch of orange peel.

Hops are in your face but with just enough malt character to make this a great beer.

06-15-2007 03:33:35 | More by adowney523
horshack7

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

Appearance: Straight out of a 22oz bottle complete with a devil on the label pours a very dark ruby red with one fingers worth of a foamy head.

Aromas: Minor chocolate notes fairly strong floral hop notes. along with light malt and caramel notes.

Taste: A little on the sweet side but nicely hoppy. Roasted malts slightly chocolaty. It feels a little crisp on the palate medium to full boddied.

Notes: This one certainly a very nice brew two thumbs up to Stone brewing company for brewing this one. An interesting style quite the year round brew. Cheers

06-11-2007 01:18:49 | More by horshack7
BladeRunner

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a beautiful ruby red, with a nice foamy head that stays for awhile. Lacing is great aswell.

Nose isn't too strong, and almost makes this beer seem tame at first. Though, I did get some nice fruity overtones.

Taste is very strong/aggressive while also offering complex flavors, then it kicks you in the ass when it finishes, but in a good way. I do taste slight roast grain and strong hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is a kick in the ass. First it seems mellow than right after it warms up the mouth a second later it slaps you in the face with an aggressive aftertaste that isn't for everybody. This is not a session beer by any means. This is a beer you will want to drink when you want something that is no holds bar tough, or an arrogant bastard.

I give them high kudos for the name they gave this beer. It fits it in everyway. Damn, arrogant bastard!!!

06-10-2007 08:01:03 | More by BladeRunner
BDTyre

British Columbia (Canada)

4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

Finally, I manage to snag a bottle of this. And I am happy.

Dark ruby-mahogany with a sizable, mildly off-white head. Pleasant caramel malt smell with a slightly vinous character. Sweet-sour hints, with hops hiding in the background.

Old-ale, vinous malt taste with just enough hops to make it not too sweet. Rich, caramel flavours with coffee and vanilla hints.

Good carbonation, not to fizzy. Easy to drink, but a bit of a challenge with the ABV when coming out of a bomber.

06-05-2007 05:07:11 | More by BDTyre
sessycuban

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

Sampled this beer on tap. Poured into a half pint glass. Not the best of glassware, but it's all I had.

A- The beer pours a mahogany color. If you hold it up to the light, it also looks amber. The ale leaves moderate head that retains well.

S- The beer has a very malty nose. The hops are also very apparent. I think the beer strikes a nice balance between the two aromas.

T- The beer is very malty and delicious. This beer is very balanced. A lot of beers boast of being complex, but Arrogant Bastard comes across complex without being undefined. I think you can pick apart the various tastes more so than you can with other 'complex' beers.

M- This is a very smooth beer, moderate in body. I think it is much more enjoyable when served on the colder end, as the alcohol taste really comes out when served warmer.

D- I think this is one of the most drinkable beers you can find. At least for those of us in the western half of America, the beer is very easy to find, affordable, and of the finest quality. I'd recommend this to anyone who is interested in American ales.

06-04-2007 21:33:51 | More by sessycuban
willjschmidt

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass. Bottle marked "best before 6/21/07".

A: Pours a medium-dark amber with a slight red hue to it. An excellent light tan head forms on the brew, a nice layer staying throughout.

S: Hops are definitely in the aroma followed by the dark and slightly sweet malts.

T: The malts start out the experience. Dark, roasted coffee, and some slightly burnt flavors. Then the hops hit you: bitter, big, bold, and in your face. This beer is appropriately named, it's arrogant as hell. The finish is bold and bitter. This is a seriously big and complex brew. The flavors bounce all over the place. It's well balanced and surprisingly smooth for a beer as rough and raw as this one.

M: Medium bodied, smooth, with low amounts of carbonation.

D: God damn, I love this beer. It's overpowering, raw, in your face, all while being tasty and delicious. A completely unique American craft brew.

06-04-2007 02:27:17 | More by willjschmidt
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.