Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

I've had this many times, usually on tap in various bars around town. I am just now getting around to writing up a review.

A- Minimal head. The beer is a deep red color. There is a small amount of lacing at first.

S- Hoppy. However this beer wont be confused with an IPA. Its got a nice toasted malt base under all the bitter smelling hops.

T- As the smell suggests. Hoppy with lots of malts underneath. This is one biting beer. Alcohol is slightly noticeable.

M- Prickly carbonation but all in all a really smooth and fuller beer.

D- I cant sit and drink this stuff all night like some people can. One pint and thats about it for me. I do like this beer but I am not someone who loves it.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

I love Michigan. I can stop at any major party store and be greeted with a bevy of high-quality alcoholic concoctions of malted barley and hops. The four-hour drive to Grand Blanc from Columbus, Ohio is tiring in its own right, but my need for sleep was great enough to prompt me to stop by a BP gas station and pick up a 22oz bomber of Arrogant Bastard ale, the famed hoppy amber ale from Stone Brewing out of Escondido, California.

I poured the chilled bottle - about 45 degrees of chill - into a pint glass provided by my gracious host. This brew is hard to incorrectly pour, as long as I adhered to the 45%/50%/90% rule. AB poured a deep and rich rusty color with about 70% opacity. The head formed a nice off white layer on top, which never really dissipated, but rather formed very prominent lacing rings with every sip. That's the making of a more full-bodied ale than its thinner amber counterparts.

Stone Brewing is very consistent with the hops character of its beers, and Arrogant Bastard is no exception. The nose is citrusy with lightly-roasted malt sweetness. The alcohol content tries to bust through with a bit of aromatic pungency, but the 7.2% ABV is relatively well-hidden.

The lacing is beautiful...there is almost a solid coat around the entire glass. Of course, I am drinking at a higher temperature right now than Steve Wagner, Stone brewmaster, had intended (approximately 50 degrees). Higher temperatures = heavier body. It's beautiful regardless. The bittering hops make up the prominent character, lingering on the back of the palate between drinks. The fruit-like sweet lightly-roasted malts are more of an accent. Big malt flavor with bigger hops. The hops generate a grapefruit-like bitter character on the palate, but not so much in the nose.

I love fuller-bodied beers. The carbonation is very well done, and the viscosity renders this beer extremely smooth, perfectly adept to travelling down my throat. Try taking your time to let the beer warm up a bit. The characteristics that make this beer unique will emerge. Drink the first 11oz of a bomber at around 40-45 degrees and the last at 50-55 degrees. You'll notice the "arrogance" of this brew hit you right in the face.

With such a high alcohol content for an amber, Arrogant Bastard needs to be handled with caution. It's sweetness and hop balance will beg for you to spend a night with your nose in the air, but if you're not careful that same nose you thumbed at light lager drinkers all night long may end up facing the bottom of the toilet. One bomber at a time, young padawan, and ride the complexity of this brew to an appreciation of the best of beers. Cheers mate!

4.53/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a 12 oz snifter. Dark brown, with a little burnt orange hint to it. Comes with a nice thick off-white head that dissipates fairly slowly leaving some great lacing down the glass.
Smell is full of roasted malts and some good citrus scents from the hops as well. The taste follows pretty well, starting out very sweet, and the aftertaste is very bitter, beating up my tounge for 15 to 30 seconds after each sip, absolutely love it.
The mouthfeel is thick and creamy but still has a decent amount of carbonation. Not hard to drink at all, every sip makes me want to go back for more.
I absolutely love this brew, I wasn't really looking for it, but when I saw it, I knew I had to go for it, and I'm so glad I did. Absolutely a great brew!

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

I've heard about this beer for a while, but never gotten around to trying it. I wish I hadn't waited so long!

A: Pours thick. A darker caramel color, with a larger head that lingers.

S: Hops, hops and more hops, and a bit of citrus.

T: Delicious. A nice grapefruit taste to start off, then a big hit of the hops, finishing with a bit more grapefruit and maybe a hint of pine.

M: A bit thick, but very enjoyable. Definitely not something to chug down at a frat party.

D: Because it's so big, I don't think I could drink more than a couple of these in a night, but boy does it go down smooth.

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Had last summer during a weekend road trip to my buddy's beach house in Mexico Beach, FL.

It tasted great. The idea of naming a beer "Arrogant Bastard" pretty much defines the confidence of the brewery in this ale. You definitely taste alcohol, but more as an aftertaste. The first thing I noticed was the hoppiness.

Arrogant Bastard is not about the cool bottle or the hilarious disclosure, it's all about quality.

22oz. bottle poured into a nonic.

Dark red with creamy tight head. Huge aromatic hop nose with some toasted malt and grapefruit coming through.

Lots of fruit cake sweetness and dried herbs. Pine and citrus resine with a solid malt backbone. Carbonation is there but seems to just carry things along. If there was any less CO2 it might be syrupy. Spicy hops are relentless. Abundant grainy finish with plenty of alcohol warmth and mild traces of coffee grinds.

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

A: Very inviting dark color with a honey-colored head about an inch high that sustained throughout the drink.

S: Like walking into a brewery and being smacked in the face with a sack of hops.

T: Very strong flavor that lingers well after the sip. Malty with even a bit of citrus. My friends were convinced that I had squirted some lime into my mug

M: Thick, almost like molasses. Hearty and goes down smooth.

D: Very delicious but the higher alcohol content and strong, thick content of the beer keeps me from drinking more than a couple.

Overall I would suggest that you try this beer if you ever have a chance.

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

We went out to dinner with friends on a Friday night in the South End at the Stork Club. The only interesting beers on tap were Ipswich Ale and Arrogant Bastard, so I went with ABA as the first beer of the night. Looking back online, I know I've had this beer before, but I am now surprised that I have never reviewed it. Anyway, it was served in a pint glass. Very dark red color. Rich and creamy looking head. Not much smell was noticed. Taste is what you expect from a Stone beer: quality through and through. Nice mix of hops and malt, with a hint of sugar to brighten things up. The only thing that caught me off guard was the mouthfeel. While I liked it, it was much more creamier than I remembered. My wife also had a pint, and she swore it drank like a Guinness. Do they do ABA on nitro tap? Because that is what it tasted like. Didn't expect that, from Stone or this restaurant. Problem with the tap line perhaps? I don't know, but I need to try this again somewhere else to see if I am going crazy or maybe I just haven't had this beer in a while. I liked this beer, but it left me puzzled.

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

What can I possibly add to other reviews of this beer? It's fantastic stuff, the kind of beer that converts normal folk into beer geeks. The combination of big citric hops and sweet caramel malt makes a mockery of style guidelines while still feeling utterly natural and refined. The flavor is balanced - big hops, big malt, big flavor. Arrogant Bastard has become a defining beer of the American craft movement and sits as the flagship of one of the best known and most loved craft breweries. All hail Greg Koch.

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Clear copper color with off-white head, not poured with finesse. Fairly sticky lace.

S - A bit sweet with fruit, malt, and expected hoppiness.

T - Malty, rich, and a touch sweet with a balance of hop bitterness. Toasty with caramel and citrus.

M - Medium to medium-full body with a decent creamy feel and medium-low carbonation. A little dry on the finish.

D - A nice solid drink. Stone just makes good beer, and this is their foundation brew.

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured dark amber with a slight red tint. The thin white head nicely laced the glass. A very powerful hop aroma was evident immediately upon pouring. Floral hops and freshly cut grass aromas wafted from the glass. Massive hops dominated the flavor, with floral and grassy notes. The finish was bitter and lip-puckering dry. The hop aftertaste lingered. No balancing act here, this beer is all about the hops. I liked it though. I felt it offered something outside the norm.

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - Burnt orange, mostly brown body with a thick tan head.

S- Some dark chocolate and caramel. Maybe some orange and plum in there as well. Fully aromatic.

T- I was expecting a much stronger taste - but this is actually even better. All kinds of spice and fruit. The alcohol is a little noticeable, but manageable. Some roasted malts too.

M - Milky, but not to the point of heavy cream. Just right.

D - It sits a little heavy; especially being a bomber. But it's a carefully crafted brew.

Notes - This is the first strong ale I've had - and I have to say this makes a great first impression. I also appreciate the humor and smart-ass remarks that Stone puts on the bottle - claiming "You're Not Worthy." Little aspects like this makes for a more enjoyable drinking experience.

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

poured into Duvel glass

A: pours dark brown with a finger thick dark off white head, laces on glass very well.
S: dark cookie like malts, citrus hops.
T: smell and taste go together with this beer. the sweet malt balances well with the bitter grapefruit of the hops.
M: thick but not syrupy. medium carbonation
D: ive had this beer both on tap and in bottle, i think it drinks better from a tap, but is ok from a bottle.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

A: Pours a two-three finger head of beige. The beer is a dark dark brown-red. Great texture on the cap. Maybe too much head though, and just a little active carbonation.

S: Full bodied, but it isn't overly hoppy or anything like that. Not much else though, but somehow it just works.

T: Vanilla, malt, mild hops, very smooth. Very interesting in how smooth it can be with the lingering bitterness it leaves. Also, no roast, which I expected.

M: Super smooth, no bite at all. I want to drink this with Dragon's Milk from New Holland.

D: Just wow. I could put back this one all night long.

3.68/5  rDev -11.5%

A nice ruby red red hue as it pours into my glass. Two fingers of head grow. Fades at a decent rate slight lacing.

Medium hops smell, along with pine and light caramel finish.

A quick hop bite right off the bat. Followed by the maltiness of the beer and finishing with a piney after taste.

Medium body to the beer smooth across the tongue. Good but not great feel to it.

I couldn't drink more than one, maybe two. Not really my cup of beer as they say. Good once in a great while.

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Appearance:
Poured from a 22 Oz. Bomber into a tulip. Two finger head over a dark red/brown body. Good clarity. Head dissipates to fine foam cover leaving significant lacing.

Nose:
Hops all the way. From earthy to floral. Biscuity malt beneath.

Taste:
Biscuit and nutty malt flavors give way to hops. The hop notes range from grassy to floral to peppery over the course of a sip. Everything in fine balance.

Mouth feel:
Full bodied, light carbonation, very satisfying.

Overall:
I really like this one, a very well proportioned beer. It may be a little too large in all dimensions for a regular addition to my fridge but I will certainly be back again.

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale comes out swinging. the first thing you notice about this beer is the label, which does its best to ward of weiners and those with heart conditions. the bastard pours red and dark orange with a huge foamy head. the head disappates rather quickly, but leaves a solid collar that deposits thick sheets of lace all the way down the glass.

the smell is of citrus hops and caramel malt, a good indicator of what is to come.

thick caramel malts are balanced and accentuated by bright spicy citrus hops, which are just bitter enough to allow the rich and complex flavors to meld together. alcohol is apparent, but not overwhelming. this sure is a beast of a beer! full bodied and thick, this leaves a good impression on the palate and great aftertaste.

easily drinkable (if you aren't some sort of weiner boy that is), rich and complex but not overpowering. a good combination of thick malts and bright hops make this a winner.

+ great all around, solid beer with lots of complex flavors.

+ exactly what you would expect from Stone. a well crafted, delicious brew. this bastard has every reason to be arrogant

- as the bottle says, and as some of the other reviews state, this really isn't for the faint of heart. some just can't handle the arrogance. and that's okay. there are a couple bottles of st. pauli girl in the fridge if you want em.

a - pours a deep cloudy red. frothy baige head of about 1 inch with great retention and lace.

s - the smell is of mild hops, nothing over powering and nothing standing out, but not bad by any means.

t - an explosion of sweet malts and bitter hops. i really noticed a smooth roasted flavor that was awsomely pleasant. my lips are coated with sweetness after every sip. i was able to sip on every drop from my 22 oz bottle, and i was impressed. this is truely some great stuff.

m - dry and balanced

3.8/5  rDev -8.7%

I poured this out of a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. The beer is amber colored with a 2 finger off white head that is frothy and leaving some nice lacing. The beer smells of hops, a little malt, and some floral notes. The beer has a nice pale flavor with hops, malt, and a little bitterness. Their is a little sweetness on the front end. The aftertaste is bitter, hoppy, and lingers for along time. The beer has a medium body and is nicely carbonated. It is frothy and a little silky in the mouth. This is a very good beer and I would be happy to have another.

3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

A: Beautiful amber color, creamy thick head, off white, little yellowish brownish, lacing is good, not fantastic.

S: strong hop, piney smell. Balanced with some roastiness

T: Complex. Earthy hop notes at the back of the tongue and throat, sweet maltiness at the tip of the tongue, roastiness comes in along the sides. Taste of hops lingers long after finishing.

M: Feels good, rolls around of tongue pleasantly, not fantastic but good

D: With such full flavor it is hard to drink a bunch of these, and also dont expect to be able to sample other beers after this one, the hops stick to the mouth

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

I can't believe I've never reviewed this brew... I've had it several times over the years and I guess I overlooked it...

Pours a beautiful ruby red with a thick creamy eggshell head... This is one beautiful beer to look at...

Piney citrusy aromas mingled with dark sweet malts and maybe even a little fruit on the nose... A bit subdued but still nice..

Huge oily piney hoppiness mingled with those sweet dark malts very well here... There's a bitterness on the finish that is a bit astrigent and almost earthy or dirty tasting... Its still very tasty and has me ready for another sip...

Not my favorite Stone offering but a solid very accessible brew that never disappoints...

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

Very bright amber-red ale. Smells of cooked broccoli at first (hope I'm not getting a sinus infection.) Calibrated my sniffer and I get more pine tree and less cooked veggies. Very spicy hop flavor mixes well with what tastes like a complex array of caramel malts. Very smooth. Aggressive hop bitterness is subdued by a pleasant sweetness. Not too bad. Drinkability is surprisingly good. I'm not sure how old the bottle is, it may be a little oxidized. Based on the other reviews I have to wonder if a I have a bottle that is slightly bad. Massive hop burps though...

4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thick 1 finger dense mocha/tan head retains well and stays put. Deep rich ruby red mahogany nice looking in color. Some good lacing

Sweet nose, caramel candy sugar

Strong hoppiness bite and taste. Loads of caramel maltiness and a little roasted malt. Its balanced nice and formitable ale. Big in the taste department.

Smooth, slick, lingering and a slight alcoholic after feel.

Ive always loved Arrogant Bastard. I will return to review again and improve on this one.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

A: Poured with an average-sized, off-white head that had some staying power before finally diminishing down to 1/2-finger or so. Pretty good lacing. Body is a nice, dark ruby-brown color, and almost totally clear.

S: The aroma is quite sweet, very fruity, with a light lingering of hops.

T: Starts fairly sweet, just like the aroma, with a light fruit flavor that rolls along the tongue. Builds up to a bitter and quite dry finish, with a long-lasting duration. Slight warmth from the alcohol warms the throat.

M: Medium-bodied and quite creamy, with average carbonation.

D: I have yet to be disappointed by Stone, and all of the good things I had read about Arrogant Bastard were completely justified.

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

A: Pours a dark amber with 1.5 fingers worth of off white yellowish head. The head slowly dissipates and leaves GREAT lacing down the glass.

S: Smells of tropical fruits and hops with a hint of alcohol.

T: Starts off with a malty sweetness which turns into grapefruit and citrus, and ends with a nice hoppy bite.

M: Medium to full bodied with perfect carbonation! Bitter yet smooth.

D: Very drinkable beer! Great complex taste with perfect mouthfeel. If I could get this beer at home I would drink it all the time. I will definitely be picking a couple more bottles of this up before I head home!

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.