Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Lancer211

Arizona

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle into an tumbler. I took this beer out of the fridge and waited a bit beforehand for it to warm up a hair. Would have preferred a stein, but I only have one stein large enough to fit and it was dirty at the time, so went with the tumbler.

A - Medium pour produced a golden to orange then finally to moderately brown hue. Two to two and a half finger tan head was produced, which proved to be relatively persistent through my entire experience with this beer. An abundance of quality lacing as well.

S - There's just something about its earthy smell that I LOVE... hard to put my finger on it. A hint of sour and citrus hops and a bit of caramel and malt as well.

T - It's like a battle going down in my mouth.... hoppy like whoa, and citrus and pine, and strong caramel malts as well. A little less dry than I expected for the somewhat high abv. Finish is hardly dry, more bitter.

M - Very heavy but smooth in the mouth, with a bit of hops oil that remains.

D - Well.... what can I say? I want to drink about a million of these.... however, I could only have, say, a few 22oz bottles of this strong brew before I stopped making any sense... it's filling, be warned.... but for a guy with a high metabolism like me, not much of a problem.

All in all, a curious brew that falls between classification... thus, an "American Strong Ale". I would recommend at least giving it a whorl to everyone.

07-23-2006 06:56:23 | More by Lancer211
guzzle211

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

1pt. 6oz poured very cold into Imperial pint glass, left to warm
A- crystal clear appearance, but captures a lot of light because not much gets through. darkest orange hue right before brown. medium-effort pour produces a thick two-plus finger head that dissapates very slowly to a thick top coating that lasted the entire time even though there is little to no bubble activity in the glass after the initial pour. lacing is very
S- mellow hops underscored by caramel, slight malt balance.
T+M- absolute perfect balance of hopsand malt countered with a subtle hint of caramel. the tasted gets bigger and bigger as it warms, I heavily recomend avoiding its charms as long as you can to let it warm up slightly past where you would enjoy a typical beer of this sort.
D- abv is so well hidden, hops is so present without being in your face, malt and sweetness are such perfectly subtle balances that this brew is an easy 'big session.' it may be over-indulgent in hindsight, but i could definitely see this luring an unsuspecting participant into an evening affair.

07-23-2006 04:00:02 | More by guzzle211
beerphilosopher

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Love the bottle ... "This is an aggressive beer. You probably won't like it." Haha. This is a great gift beer if you really want to "rub it in" to your yellow dishwater drinking friends. Over the top in a lot of ways. My bottle pours a slightly murky brown color with some glowing red highlights. Thick, bubbly tannish head and great retention and lacing in the glassware. Beautiful streaming carbonation. Nose is aggressive indeed. Strong hop notes, piney and some sour citrus. This is balanced by a thick, warm malt character. Smells terrific and in no way simple. Palate is likewise -- both thick, mouth-coating caramel malts with biting, resinous hops darting around. Complex palate that is so very complex. What is this beer? Falls into the elusive "strong ale" category. In other words, we don't know what it is, but it's something to be reckoned with ... Mouthfeel is thick and both smooth and biting. Aggressive carbonation and a lingering hop-bitter finish. What a complex creation. No wonder the bottle warns that this beer wasn't created for the "sniveling yellow beer drinking wimps." This is the liquid equivalent of the middle finger to that ilk. Excellent.

07-22-2006 15:06:03 | More by beerphilosopher
kgotcher

Colorado

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very dark and hazy amber to brown color.with a tannish creamy head. Aroma is HUGE toasty malt backbone with some piney hops. Taste is more of the same, goes down really smooth for a "strong ale" A very full body with a thick aftertaste with a bitter and dense malty feel. You can chew on this one for a while.

This beer is like a DIPA with a lot less bittering hops and thus a more obvious malt profile. Lots of aroma hops give the taste of a highly hopped ale but in reality it is very malty. I love it and frankly I don't find it "strong" at all. This is an awesome beer. Super malty with a very nice hop ambiance that does not interfere with all that great maltyness but just lets it do it's thing.

07-20-2006 03:18:23 | More by kgotcher
BlackAngus

Indiana

3.98/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

First off, I'm giving this one an extra half-point in appearance for the bottle. I love it. I love the verbage on the back. I normally keep interesting bottles for my homebrew, but I have a few of these I just keep to display. :-)

Color of this beer is deep copper, almost brown, with a bright white, thin head.

The smell has a musky, earth note that is very pleasing in small quantities. DOminating the aroma, though, is the hefty hop punch, very citrusey.

The taste is hard to describe. There's a definite malt character, but it's secondary to the HUGE hop flavor.

Mouthfeel is solid, with a malt backbone.

Drinkability is good, but I can only drink about two of the 22oz bottles of this before my tongue starts to feel funny from the hops. :-)

A serving note, if you want to really experience the flavor and aroma of this beer, serve room temp. That's true of most beers, but especially this one. If you serve it ice-cold, you'll miss the show.

07-18-2006 12:54:24 | More by BlackAngus
nlmartin

4.85/5  rDev +16.3%

This beer was served on tap at Eulogys in Philly. The beer was served in a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer has a dark amber nearing crimson coloration. The head was thin and off white. The beer left some streaks down the side of my glass.

Smell: The beer has a toasted maltyness. The maltyness helps bring in waves of aggressive grapefruit and pine cone resin. The beer has a good spicey alcohol aroma.

Taste: The beer produced great loads of citrus zest, grapefruityness, and pine trees. Tucked up underneath all this is a great big caramel malty backbone. The alcohol combines in the flavor to bring a spiceyness to the beer. This isnt as aggressive as I remember it; however, it is still a Arrogant Bastard.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is full bodied. The beer has lingering hop oilyness. The beer is pleasingly complex. This beer was oddly very smooth on draft. This is a very drinkable bastard. I dont think I would try to make an evening with Arrogant Bastard. But Arrogant Bastard is a great beer to have on any evening.

07-18-2006 11:00:45 | More by nlmartin
Romulus141

Nebraska

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured into a hefe-weizen glass. Served at room temperature.

Appearance: Pours a lovely shade of deep red. On the initial pour, it is quite difficult to keep the head from overpowering the liquid part of the brew. After some time, the head settled a little, leaving lacing all over the edges of the glass. There is some light carbonation visible in the beer. Quite beautiful to look at.

Smell: This smells really good. It has a sweet aroma to it that is not at all overpowering. There is also the smell of malts in there. Very enticing smell, it really makes you want to drink deep. Probably one of the best smelling beers I've encountered.

Taste: Creamy, smooth, and full. This beer has a sweetness to it, but it is not wimpy. The flavor is quite rich, and is absolutely delightful. It masks the high ABV perfectly. It finishes with a bit of hoppy bitterness, which is a nice way to round out the beverage as a whole.

Mouthfeel: Heavy, and has a good sense of body to it. It is silky in its texture, and it slides over the tongue quite nicely. Quite a delight to swish around in the mouth.

Drinkability: Probably one of the best beers I've ever had. It is a true joy to drink this, and although it is sweet, I could drink these endlessly. You need to watch out though, as the bottle is 22oz and that ABV of 7.2% will creep up on you.

Highly recommended and worth the high price.

07-16-2006 20:18:07 | More by Romulus141
BlindPig

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Appearance- ½” Cream white head (2nd time poured 1½” head) has good retention and leaves nice lacing. Dark red/brown and if held to light it goes redder especially when only about ¼ of glass is left. Is murky (not like unfiltered look almost like foggy). Couldn’t see much carbonation at all just very light with looking a bit harder than usual for it.

Smell- Can smell a little alcohol coming through. Seems pretty hoppy that are sweet with little malt behind.

Taste-Strong flavor. Can taste a very light sense of alcohol in it. Sweet right at first and then bitter in back of mouth. The aftertaste is bitter with some weird taste in it which I couldn’t put my finger on. Doesn’t have that “beery” taste to it (probably the style).

Mouthfeel/drinkability- Light Carbonation. Was very smooth and went down with ease. Could drink a few.

07-15-2006 07:18:25 | More by BlindPig
mherring

3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

Pretty much the only reason I bought this was because of its name and the design that was on the bottle. I guess you could say I'm a sucker for their marketing scheme. The Arrogant Bastard poured out a brilliant dark shade of red, and I do mean dark. As far as color and appearance goes, this is one of the prettier beers I've ever seen. I could definitely smell the hops on this one, along with something else that could maybe be described as fruity, but the hops are prevalent for sure. The mouthfeel was a very pleasant sensation, very smooth, and the overall taste of the beer is like a swift kick to the taste buds. It comes on at first with a kind of sweet taste which is quickly followed up by all the hops that you got from the scent. On the whole this isn't a style of beer I'm particularly fond of, I can appreciate it for a beer or three, but not much more than that.

07-13-2006 15:45:41 | More by mherring
jokelahoma

Missouri

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

Can't believe I've been so remiss. I've not reviewed this one yet.

Pours a cloudy, deep reddish-orange, with a decent sized smooth and creamy head, which laces extremely well as you sip the beer. Beautiful color, and a lovely beer, minus the cloudiness.

The smell is surprisingly balanced, with a good amount of floral hoppiness followed immediately by a strong, sweet malty scent. A musty, almost dusty, earthy aroma announces the base malt presence. There's also a bit of fruitiness that sneaks in here, with hints of cherry and raspberry swirling around in my nose. All in all, this is more complex than one might expect.

The taste is initially very fruity, almost tropical punch-like, but it never sets in and grabs you, because it is followed immediately by a good firm bitterness, which in turn has a huge amount of hop flavor nipping at its heels. There's a ton of hop flavor to this... very flowery, not vegetal or even particularly citrusy. That flavor continues well after the initial bitterness fades, and yet that same bitter sensation returns almost as quickly as it left, to meld with the hop flavors, and the sneaky reappearance of the fruity malt, all combining to leave a remarkable and fantastically complex aftertaste. (I'll pause while English teachers stop foaming at the mounth over that last "sentence"). The complexity of flavors makes it take longer to finish the beer. You simply cannot rush drinking this, as you're in no hurry to take another sip and interfere with that lovely taste combination. Make no mistake -- this *is* a bitter beer. But it's very easy to overlook that fact due to the beautiful way it all comes together. It's difficult, in my opinion, to imagine a better taste in this style of beer. This is absolutely as close to perfect as I can imagine a beer.

The brew has a fairly creamy and hefty mouthfeel to it. It isn't filling like many other beers with the same type mouthfeel, however. It's substantive enough to match the full flavor without detracting from the sensory experience. Nicely matched.

As the label humorously implies, this one ain't for everybody. It's big, it's bitter, it's bold, it's brash. But it's also so remarkably well made and well balanced that it's my opinion that anyone who considers themselves to be beer lovers must seek it out to try at least once. I don't believe I'd use this one as an intro to craft beers for a devout BMC drinker, but this is a great hook to sink into anyone already fishing craft waters. Simply put, it's beautiful. Great beer.

07-13-2006 03:55:03 | More by jokelahoma
Golden2wenty1

Wisconsin

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

From notes, enjoyed a few bombers during Spring Break in Lake Havasu City, AZ.

Pour is a deep garnet/mahogany with a finger of khaki cream foam.

Nose starts with loads of sweet caramel malt, followed by fruity notes of raisin, mango, and papaya with a solid piney hop finish.

Taste reflects the nose, this time starting with piney bittering hops, then caramel malt, followed by the syrupy fruity notes and a steady alcohol presence.

Body is medium-full with crisp, hearty carbonation.

This is an intense, well-crafted, complex strong ale that deserves the credit it gets. A deal at $3.49/bomber in AZ as well. Also reminded me a lot of Bell's 3rd Coast Old Ale.

07-13-2006 01:42:23 | More by Golden2wenty1
roblowther

3.25/5  rDev -22.1%

Pours a lovely dark red color with minimal head that dissipates quickly and leaves a trace of tan lace. Smell is very floral, maybe roses and something sharp that hints at the bitterness to come. Taste is good, ALL hops. No malt within a mile of this one. The first taste is floral, maybe pine, then it rounds into a lovely, soft licorice-like roast that is not burnt at all. It sort of lulls you into complacency and then the bitterness comes on like a freight train, painting the back of the tongue with a burnt coffee sharpness. Not even something I can describe as aftertaste so much as a oral hangover. This is not my style (I suppose I live up to their "you're not worthy" motto) so I may be a bit jaded. Mouthfeel is very good, hits a good balance of roundness without being heavy. Drinkability - low. Low low low. I can't imagine making it through more than one in a session, just too much hops. All in all, probably a good example of a style that appeals to...someone other than me.

07-12-2006 00:49:18 | More by roblowther
egajdzis

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured a reddish color with a large, tan head that stayed around and left a nice lacing on the glass. The aroma was citrusy, with tons of sweet malt and floral hops. Taste of bitter hops, cherries, roasted and caramel malts, with bitter grapefruit flavors on the way down. Thankfully I did not see any difference in bottles brewed at the new facility.

07-11-2006 02:24:51 | More by egajdzis
Elecid

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

I was originally attracted to the beer by the packaging. Apparently, they hit my demographic well. I came for the packaging, but stayed for the singular flavor. I have yet to try double bastard, but I have high expectations.

A: I was half-expecting to see a mosquito fossilized within, ready to extract the dinosaur DNA. As everyone has said before, it's a dark amber. Quite stunning. The head is thick and worthy of the name. Sits there for a while, mocking you.

S: My favorite part of the beer. I was going to take my first swig, and then decided on a long sniff instead, it's *that* good. Strangely, i'd say I smelled guava & pine.

T: Hits you with sweet & then the bitter hops kick in. Like a one-two punch.

M: Nothing special, nothing to complain about. I wasn't forcing it down, but i wasn't pouring it down either. No chewiness.

D: The first time I had this beer, I thought it was overwhelming, and I had trouble finishing one 22-oz bottle. Coming back to it, after having tried some real beer, I find it an irresistable (if not perfect) brew, and it will be in my fridge quite frequently. Easier to drink than a stout, but not quite a session beer.

07-10-2006 04:32:53 | More by Elecid
MLegendre

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

The famous Arrogant Bastard, some love it, some think it's overrated. All I know is there is nothing else out there quite like it.

A: pours a very dark translucent Amber. Thick light tan head that disapates very very slowly leaving lots of white lacing sticking to the glass.

S: Amazing smell. A perfect fix of sweet dark fruit, yet very bitter piney hops. Quite a sensory overload.

T: Like the smell it starts of very sweet, then quickly the bitterness takes over, leaving a very, very bitter aftertaste. The sweetness gets stronger as the drink warms and alcohol becomes more apparent, but the bitterness never goes away.

M: Thick with a perfect amount of carbonation, goes down very smooth for such a burly beer.

D: This is a very easy beer to drink for how big it is, though it's definatly not for everyone "sophisticated" or not. When I'm in the mood for a beer but not sure what I'm in the mood for this is what I get.

07-07-2006 20:19:16 | More by MLegendre
Cresant

Kentucky

3.2/5  rDev -23.3%

Pour from a 22 oz. bomber into a Stone IPA glass. Leather brown body and a tan three fingers head. Body looked like whisky--clear and refraction-y.

Sweet malt and alcohol aroma. ETOH candy.

Tasted of sweet dried fruit invaded by hop bitters. Licorice-like. Alcohol flavor increased as it warmed.

Medium bodied texture.

Complex yet not difficult to drink or enjoy. A little too sweet for me.

07-05-2006 21:34:57 | More by Cresant
objectivemonkey

4.88/5  rDev +17%

Holy mother of all things holy. This... wow. Pours a cloudy amber brown, a beautiful color, good sized creamy, thick, light tan head. Aroma is just fantastic. My friend said it best; "I could simply smell this beer all night long." As it came out of the bottle, could smell it and thought it'd be just potent, a little too much. Sat down and started with it, and it isn't actually that .... er, arrogant. Its actually just about right, between assertive and obscene. At once its heavily malty, a dark deep caramel malt thats more reminicent of barleywine malting, but perhaps thats me taking a whiff of the fantastic pine hop overtones that play center stage. If anything, this aroma is rich with subtleties that aren't subtle at all, complex, fantastic, and pretty much making my mouth drool.

Taste is what it should be, what it says it is; in your face, uncompromising, unyielding loads of hop, malt and just a little tug on the soul. It grabs you, invites you to chew on it, eat the malt, and oh ya, there are those boat loads of hops too. This is an all out war on the tongue, and mine has given up. Not as its too powerful, but its just perfect. That balance between the sizable hop load, bitter but not bittering, just a bite that lets you understand that its there, and its huge, but its not going to kick your ass, at least not yet. And the sweet caramel malt, practically making me smile, I lean my head back and say 'this is the best thing of my entire day.'

Most of this talk is rubbish. And I dont' care. One of the best beers I'll ever have.

07-02-2006 05:01:35 | More by objectivemonkey
TheBungyo

Washington

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

From Notes:
Hazy brown amber liquid poured gently from the bottle. Head is like a maniac on the loose ... 3 fingers in width. Nose is far too faint for my tastes. Pine, caramel, orange, and butter. I really have to strain to make out these scents. Taste is massive pine, burnt caramel, diacetyl, and pleasing bitterness. At the tail end I detect some pleasant grain. Mouth is perfectly modertate. I didn't care for this (I wasn't worthy?) the first several times I tried it. Something about the fruitiness didn't seem to mesh with the caramel. I had no such issues this time.

07-01-2006 06:48:52 | More by TheBungyo
westweasel

3.93/5  rDev -5.8%

From a 22oz. "bomber" bottle.

The beer poured into the glass with a mysterious dark carmel color. The liquid was dark but clear. I had about an inch of head, and the glass remained lined with Belgian lace as I drank. The scents I detected were toffee, spicy floral, and oranges.

The taste was nice and bitter, with a complex hoppy bitterness. Somewhat similar to a weak imperial IPA. You can taste the alcohol, but it is not overpowering. A nice, full-bodied mouthfeel.

The beer is very enjoyable and drinkable, but it's heavy bitterness will probably prevent someone from drinking too many at once. A very noteable beer.

06-26-2006 02:23:33 | More by westweasel
krantul

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

I give this beer a 5 for appearance. Sure, it's a gorgeous, deep dark beer with a menancing reddish glow to it, and it pours with a thick head worthy of Belgian beers, but it ascends to the next level with the best bottle design in the industry.

A strong malty scent is hightlighted with a floral hoppy zip; Stone is certainly one of the more masterful hoppers out there, and they really get the aroma into their beers.

To be fair, the bottle warned you. This is a rough-and-tumble, take-no-prisoners strong ale. The malt character is present but doesn't get in the way of some powerfully bitter hops that leap to the forefront of your palate. The faint alcohol burn is present, but contrubutes quite well to the character of this ale, like a good whiskey.

Drinkability? It seems wasteful to drink too much Arrogant Bastard. It's so powerfully distinct in its big, up-front flavors, that I appreciate it best in the context of other beers. After enjoying an AB, IPA's seem crisper, english bitters seem smoother, and doppelbocks seem sweeter.

06-24-2006 18:13:57 | More by krantul
neenerzig

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

This beer pours a medium to dark amber brown color with a nice tan head that doesn’t stay very large for very long but lingers for quite a bit and leaves some very generous lacing in my glass. Smells are dominated by a sort of roasted musty aroma and of course hops with a hint of some dark fruits accompanied by malts. This beer is very big on the hops indeed. Lots of hops going here, yet it also tastes a bit sweet at the same time. The taste also reminds me of roasted black coffee with some malts, a touch of fruityness, and perhaps dark chocolate as well. There is of course some hop bitterness in the taste, quite a bit of it in fact, but it is not overly bitter either. This beer has a nice frothy, smooth, and crisp, and perhaps even creamy mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Not the most drinkable beer I have ever had due to the hop bitterness going on, but I find it to be pretty drinkable overall. To me it is not quite as good as Stone's IPA or RIS, but nevertheless Stone does it again! This beer is a winner for sure!

Eric

06-23-2006 17:57:02 | More by neenerzig
JohnY

4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

Tastebuds be warned, this beer has an incredible kick. For true hopheads. I found this beer on tap at a local pub. Poured with an adequate tan head that left small amounts of lacing on the glass. Fresh hops on the nose. Grapefruit and hop resin on the front, backed by a rich caramel maltiness. Finishes clean, leaving you refreshed. Good by itself but but with food. Especially something that has alot of Garlic. Yum.

06-22-2006 23:44:46 | More by JohnY
mentor

Colorado

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours a two finger dark tan head over a semi-cloudy rich red-rust liquid. Smells mild. Piney hops and grapefruit pith. Touch of caramel. Tastes hoppy bitter with nice fruity hop flavors and a nearly equally competing malt sweet. Hop flavor is oranges and grapefruit pith with a touch of tangerine. Esters are peaches. Malt is light-colored caramels and a bit of smoke (which may actually be a a result of hop grassy character). Thick body and moderate carbonation. Not the 'arrogant bastard' that I was expecting. I guess in today's extreme beers, this one just falls in line.

06-21-2006 05:22:52 | More by mentor
Ieatlambfries

4.13/5  rDev -1%

Appearance was a dark red brown. Medium thick tan head which decent lace on the sides of the tulip glass it was served in.

The smell was caramel and toffee up front followed by a fruitiness and piney hop resin.

The taste was bitter grapefruit rind hops upfront. Followed by a toasted caramel malt. It has some wood like notes as well as a slight smokiness..

The mouthfeel was good. Thick bodied, medium carbonation.

Drinkability was quite good. Very complex but not so much so that you need to drink it in small increments.

06-20-2006 02:20:07 | More by Ieatlambfries
akahn

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

Deep ruby color with a burnt brown head that sinks to a skim. Great color.

Deep caramel sweetness in the aroma, with some nutty notes, plum fruit notes and piney hops.

Great flavor -- fairly easygoing considering what the bottle was preparing me for. Extremely balanced yet flavorful. Sweet, caramel maltiness, fruity, and then those green hops, bitter but balanced. Yum.

Full body, but not heavy. Exceptionally smooth. Carbonation is hardly noticable. There is a beautiful contrast between the velvety mouthfeel and the pine hop flavors. I guess I'm worthy. I really enjoyed this beer!

06-19-2006 01:49:12 | More by akahn
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.