Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured into a pint glass from a bomber. The beer poured a dark brown, forming a creamy 1 1/2 inch head. Lots of thick lacing on the glass. The aroma is a strong balanced mix of hops and malts. Nothing really different, but still good. The taste is a good balanced mix of hops and sweet malt, with a hint of caramel in the middle, and a slight alcoholic finish. Medium mouthfeel. Overall, not a bad beer. I could definitely see drinking this again. Makes a good session ale IMO.

beeragent, Sep 13, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Arrogant Bastard pours with a lightly tanned head that holds up very well and leaves behind a large amount of lacing. Has a dark coppery color. If this beer did not taste so good I could just look at it all day.

The nose is full of sweet malt, caramel and the hops come into play with an earthy citric like quality.

I cant begin to explain how happy my mouth is right now. My palate is overflowing with citrus, caramel, some fruits. Has a nice dry bitter finish but it does not linger as long as would be expected. This beer is definitely worthy.

irishkyle21, Sep 11, 2007
3.8/5  rDev -8.9%

Finally got to try this hyped beer. Draught at Oliver Twist, Stockholm.

A: Ruby red with a thin lace.

S: Caramel malt and plenty of hops.

T: Wow! Liqorice, bread, chocolate, spring flowers and hops.

M: Smooth with medium carbonation and tiny bubbles.

It's easy to understand why this beer have so high ratings on this site. It is a very complex ale with dipa-characteristics. It is not an easy drink tho, one glass was more than enough :) A sipper for sure! Recommended!

baggio, Sep 06, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Enjoyed out of a large stemless red wine glass (serves as a brandy snifter, without the embarassment of "snifting" beer while my friends are drinking it).

A - Pours a dark, deep redish brown, with a two finger, tightly pached, long lasting head. Lacing left all over the glass, lasting until I was finished. Appearance is very appealing.

S - Strong malty notes with a definite piny resinous hop presence.

T - Very malty, with an excellent balance of hoppy bitterness and hoppy flavor (citrus/grapefruit). Caramel notes with hints of alcoholic warmth. Aftertaste lingers as a malty thick moutcoating, but it isn't a bad thing.

M - Thick and oily. Mouthcoating and delicious. Very enjoyable on a cool night.

domtronzero, Aug 31, 2007
4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

This beer was recomended to me by a friend and I have to say, he was dead on with his tip. This beer is a great beer. It pours a dark brown color, with a 2 finger head. The bottle it comes in was bigger than the glass, so I had to drink some before emptying the bottle into the glass. I couldn't really pick up on a distinct smell, It just smelled to me like an english dark ale. The taste was a little bitter to start, but as I got about half way through it, it was a very clean and crisp taste. I would definatly drink this beer agian and recomend this to anyone who wants somthing new to try. I would just say, be careful when drinking this, it is a little higher by volume than most beers and can give you a nice festive feeling when you drink it.

KodyBrannon, Aug 25, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Ahh, the old classic bastard. I have had this beer many times and it was one of the first "big" beers I ever had.It is a dark ruby red color with a generous fluffy tan head. This is a good looking beer that borders between a n Amber and a Brown ale in color. The smell is hoppy and malty at the same time. The taste is like a battle between citrus hops and caramel tasting malt flavors. This is very good stuff fresh but if you get a bottle out of date you will not get the full experience on this one; the hops really fade. Too bad Stone can't produce this in six packs at a reasonable price.

ArrogantB, Aug 20, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

A: Pours a dark brown-red with a nice tan head on it. Great lacing left on the glass.

S: Starts off with a strong malty smell that is then overtaken with some nice piney hops.

T: Delicious. Starts out with a slight hop bite, then moves onto a malt that features some caramel, some fruit, some figs,and finishes with a nice hoppy bitterness. Alcohol warms throughout.

M: Great carbonation and a nice smooth feel. Finishes crisply.

D: I love this stuff. Stone hits another home run with AB. Tasty, drinkable. The alcohol is a little strong for a session beer, but you can definitely throw a couple of these back.

YonderWanderer, Aug 15, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured a dark brownish-red with an amazing tan 2 finger head that lasted an impressive while. The scent of malt and citrusy hops are present. Initial taste reveals an explosion of different flavors: malt,sweet brown sugar, fruits,and piney finish. Amazing brew! Mouthfeel is smooth and inviting with a nice balance of carbonation. Drinkability is definately good also. 7.2 ABV is hidden well in this one, I'd definately drink a couple of these in a sitting, and many more in the future. Once again, Stone kicks ass with their brews and bottling!

DrinkinBuddy, Aug 15, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

Dark mahogany in color with ruby highlights, a half centimeter cream colored head. The malt jumped out at me first from the aroma, dark fruits like plums and figs, maybe a tad of black licorice, and some brown sugar and molasses. But not far behind the malt there are substantial hops, pungent floral notes with a citrusy edge.

The taste like the aroma has a lot going on with both the malt and hops. Fruity notes right up front plums, figs, dates, dark grapes, follow quickly caramelly malt, plenty of brown sugar and molasses, but also with a distinct biscuity flavor I wasn't quite expecting but was very welcome, and helped set it apart from similar beers for me. Some citrusy notes again from the hops, but primarily noticed the perfumy floral flavors from them. Rich mouthfeel, and full bodied, but not excessively sticky and heavy.

Overall: I have been burned by marketing before, but this bottle is hilarious AND the beer is awesome. A great blend and balance of flavors. One of the reasons I wish Stone was available here in Minnesota. A delight to drink.

dfried, Aug 13, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours a ruby dark red with a nice off white head that sticks around and has lacing with a python grip. Mild smell of dried fruit, hops and some sweet malt. Hops show up much more than the smell would indicate. Fig and malt stick around nicely and are washed out by tasty hops. Feels full bodied with perfect carbonation in the mouth. Minimal alcohol feel and a bitter finish. Could make quite an evening out of this brew. A classic in my book.

franksnbeans, Aug 11, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

22 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.Ive had this beer plenty of times but I cant believe that I havnt reviewed it yet.

Dark red,very clear body with a nice thick tan head that falls to a nice ring.Leaves thick lacing on the glass.
Plums,Dark fruits and piney hops and some brown sugar.
Dark fruit and some chocolate.The hops have a nice piney taste.The dark fruit really sticks to the center of your tongue.The hops make you pucker. and I taste brown sugar.
The mouthful is very creamy and some velvetiness.It is also in the middle of think and thick, so I guess that would be a medium mouthful?
I got through about 10 oz. of the bottle and I started to feel a buzz.So the drink. comes down a bit for that.Other then that this beer is very awesome and I recommened anyong "WORTHY" to try it.Ive had the beer on tap and it is even better.

MmmIPA, Aug 06, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

On- Tap...Pint Glass....

A- Dark amber-brown- darker than usual but still brown. Huge head-tons of lacing, lasted throughout the glass.

S- Tons of hops- dried fruits- raisins

T- Holy mother of hops- intense flavor- never lost any speed- some citrus- some oak.

M- Smooth and silky on my tongue- some burning on my throat.

D- 7.2% not bad- after one glass I was feeling it already- not for the faint at heart.

So complex, so hoppy, and so good. This is a true classic.

One of the best.

DavidSeanNJ, Aug 04, 2007
4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

The dark amber ale poured quite nicely leaving a frothy head. This ale has a fruity scent to it. The hops dominates the malt in nose even though it doesn't when you actually consume the worthy beverage. The ale is sweet and fruity initially and then turns almost sour. The sour soon turns to the hops with a burnt and bitter taste. I found nothing unappealing with this variation of tastes. You mouth feels slightly bitter and dry when all said and done. The more you drink the better this tastebud rollercoaster becomes. I found that the initial tennis match back and forth the sweet and bitter ended well balanced by the bottom of the glass.

Rootdog316, Aug 01, 2007
4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

poured from the double-deuce bottle with a menacing demon gargoyle scowling at me.

A- almost blood red with 2in of sticky clumpy beige head that settles slowly to 1/4 in and stays with it the whole time. the lace was like icing on tiers of cake that formed a layer with each gulp i took. there were 8 rings of dripping foam around my pint glass when i finished this ridiculously complex ale.

S- no room for explanation, i'm just gonna rattle em off: red wine cask (merlot shiraz cabernet) , raisins, prunes, sour citrus, dandilion wine, resinous hops, cereal, oats, rye, wheat, red wood, cherry wood, cedar, blackberry, pomegranate, dead flowers

T- at first, roasted malt, coffee, burnt caramel & toffee, unripe berries, orange peel, lemon peel, grapefruit rind, burnt toast, then toasted grains, floral citrus hops, tar, alcohol, and a hint of dark chocolate, with a lingering bitter hop aftertaste that makes me pucker.

MF- silky smooth AND sticky all at once with exceptional carbonation levels. goes down wayyy too easy, which is a good thing.

D- the label was right, this beer is exceedingly complex. after 22 oz, my world has officially been rocked. could be the best ale i've ever had, but like an IPA, its intense and complex taste would not allow me to drink this all night long. i guess i just can't handle it.

hustlesworth, Jul 31, 2007
4.72/5  rDev +13.2%

Received in a trade from BeerTruth!

A - Deep ruby amber or brown color. Head is slightly rocky, light brown and fades to a quarter inch. Strong lacing, thick sheets and tracks.

S - Smells great! Piny and citrusy hops excellently balanced with, rich sweet, creamy and spicy cereal malts. Malts are slightly ahead here.

T/M - Starts out very creamy and malty with a slight hop kick, then into some spicier malty flavors, coffee interestingly enough, and some sweeter hoppy bitterness. Finish leaves some spicy, hoppy and some darker chocolate flavors. Overall very minimal carbonation, I would have liked to have seen more.
I'd probably classify this one as an Imperial Amber Ale, as it is very malty and yet still very hoppy.

D - This is great! Very easy to drink, and still very complex. I will definitely keep this one on my wants list.

umustdrink, Jul 31, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from the 22 oz. bomber into my pint glass to produce a 1.5" creamy light tan head over the top of a copper colored, slightly hazy, liquid. The head dissipated gradually leaving pronounced lacing.

The aroma was subdued. However, a piney hop character dominated.

The taste: GREAT beer with many complexities. Enjoy this one.... savor it it by letting it embrace your mouth and tongue. Piney hops is the first taste that hits you. But some roasted malty sweetness balances it very well. Tastes of grapefruit rind, pine, and, in the background, caramel and roasted malt.

Mouthfeel: Nice and rich. appropriate carbonation. A nice thick and chewy feeling for this beer.

Drinkability: So far, my reference beer for "American Strong Ale". I will try many to see if any one can knock the Arrogant Bastard off his pedestal. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

TheBierBand, Jul 30, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

i realize that i am not worthy. this beer is excellent. i like it more than the double. pours a beautiful dark color. the smell and taste is going to smack you up side da head! very good malt and hop balance. about halfway through i really started tasting and feeling the alcohol. this beer kicks ass!

i very highly recomend this bad boy!

suckem up and movem out!

giblet

giblet, Jul 27, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

To start off, my friends that drink Pabst wouldn't understand, but a beer snob like myself this is all-around good brew. I would give this beer to someone who wanted an intro into craft beer, as others have said, a great "gateway beer."

I got another 22 Ounce bomber, yes I have had this before. Poured into a pint glass.

A: Reddish amber, the head was gone quick leaving a slight creamy head. I swear there "things" floating in this beer.

S: I instantly thought HOPS, with fruity undertones, didn't noticed the malt others have said. I thought "I wonder what kind of hops this is, cause its good." haha I used this beer to show my sister what hops smelled like.

T: Great hop presence, not too overbearing like an IPA. The aftertaste is fruity and maybe a tad bread-like. After tasting a few more sips, I did get the malt tones, but overall I tasted hops.

M: Stays with you, a little dry, but over-all good!

D: If it wasn't so expensive I would drink this all day.

Price = bad Taste = good
Thats usually the case with Stone, but a great brewery. great beers! This one will not let you down.

blackheartbilly, Jul 26, 2007
4.68/5  rDev +12.2%

This is one of my absolute favorite beers. I first drank it in a fisherman’s bar in Alaska. There is no doubt about it.... this was my gateway beer, it sent me in search of other true "craft" brews.

A: A nice mahogany red in color. Big thick 3 finger head at the initial pour. There is nice lacing left behind as I pounded this one.

S: Very nice and hoppy. There is definite pine and citrus with hints of caramel and molasses.

T: This is where this beer shines. At first swallow I taste the pine, very resiny. Then the hops come on the scene. It finishes very malty bready almost with the taste of hops still lingering. Perfectly Balanced.

M: Medium bodied and ever so smooth and creamy.

D: I love this beer and could drink it by the growler full until I was fall down drunk.

Overall: As I said I give this beer credit for turning me into the beer geek / hophead that I am. Before trying this beer I was happy consuming BMC with an occasional micro brew on the side. When I left Alaska I did not see it again for several years. In the meantime I began to reach out to other brewers in the attempt to find something special.

Today every time I travel I keep an eye out for Arrogant Bastard since it is not yet available in Florida. I see her as an old flame, a lost love. Every time we reunite there are sparks which brings me back to my trip to Alaska, one of the greatest experiences of my life. Thank you Stone for making this beer which brought me out of my shell and sent me in search of other great craft brews. But most of all thank you for bring out the Arrogant Bastard in me.

Now go F**k yourself...just kidding...you have to excuse me I just pounded a bomber and that’s the Arrogant Bastard coming out of me.

tpd975, Jul 24, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +10.3%

On a whim I checked to see if I had reviewed this beer during one of the other 100 times I've drank a bottle. Turns out I haven't, but that may make this the first of the 1100+ reviews for Arrogant Bastard carried out in Germany. Thanks to the misses for brining this back with her. Enough of stuff you don't care about...

Poured an amazingly fine light-brown head that looked like it belonged on a Stout, and left strings of lace. Deep mahogany colored beer has a ruby glow when back lit. Aroma is bursting with pineapple along with candy sugar, alcohol, and rum. A half ton of citrus hop flavor rides a firm base of malty goodness. Finishes fairly bitter, but with lots of flavor to balance it out. The bitterness doesn't seem to disappear completely, and builds up over time. Innnnteresting. While the body is full the mouthfeel is soft and smooth making for a soothing drink. Boy do I miss this beer.

HappyHourHero, Jul 22, 2007
4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

Picked up in CA and brought back with me to KS. Wish Stone would start distributing to the midwest. Anyway...

Smells of raisins and hops. Deep, rich flavor. Alcohol more evident than expected in an under eight percenter. Almost like an abby ale with a hoppy kick. Very enjoyable, and you have to love the pure arrogance all over the bottle. Great job, Stone!

kcillini77, Jul 19, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pours a dark ruby red, almost brown with a thick yellowish tan head which lasts for the whole glass, unbelievable lacing, thick and rich.

S: Dark toasty bready malts and piney hops.

T: Much of the same as in the smell, toasty bready malts start out the flavor, backed by incredibly strong piney hop bitterness.

M: Smooth, resiny, a bit oily, a good American Strong Ale.

D: As warned on the label, this ale is definitely not for a novice beer drinker. Strong flavors abound, good drinkability though, a great beer from Stone, definitely shows what they're about.

Halcyondays, Jul 16, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

there's just something about pouring a beer into it's own glass that makes it more appealing. this one is a dark, hazy, ruby-brown with tan head and lacing. pretty powerful and complex aroma of molasses, caramel, dark stone fruits, rum, mugicha (roasted barley tea), and resiny pine. taste is a lighter than expected malt sweetness cleaned out by a considerable roasty hop bitterness. a bit astringent on the finish. medium in body. this would stand up well to hearty and richly flavored foods (barbecued ribs, anyone?), and more than hold it's own with a cigar, which is this beer's next mission. definitely a sipper.
note: have had much more of this in the interim. both maltier and hoppier than previously noted, and more complex. a heavy hitting, big beer.

MrMcGibblets, Jul 16, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

Let me begin by saying that this is the third time I've tried Arrogant Bastard. The first time, I just flat out disliked it. It was, perhaps, too aggressive for me back then. I then got a bottle and aged it 6 months or so. Tried it, appreciated the quality a bit more, but still didn't quite enjoy it. Now, I'm out in Cali again staying at an older brothers and I stumble upon a bottle I bought for him when I bought Arrogant Bastard the first time. It's from April 2005, and he drinks Heineken Light so I guess he was too boring to try it. Now, 2+ years old, this beers kicks ass. Seriously.

Poured out of a 2+ yr old bottle into a snifter.

A: Clutch; a rich mahogany with at least 2 fingers of tan-colored head that lingers throughout and leaves a satisfying lace all around the glass. Dark, sure, but not thick.

S: Blend of vanilla and woody malts are the first thing I get. Definitely lots of hops too; citrusy. When I take a sip I also pick up on the caramel character of the malts and, I think, an oak-like character, maybe going back to the woody observation.

T: This is where the aging made it great. Everything's become smooth to the point where none of the flavors really dominate the others. I get the caramel malts, very rich, with hints of that vanilla and oak. Brings to mind brandy and rye bread. As soon as the beer hits the back of your mouth it's all about the hops. Still very powerful but mellowed out enough that it doesn't smack you in the face. There's a moment of citrus, but less than expected. Floral and grassy notes take over pretty quickly, with that dry hop bitterness that begs another sip. Crisp, strong, but very complex. No traces of alcohol.

M: Certainly not a heavy beer, but pretty full-bodied regardless. Carbonation has mellowed on mine, but still pretty crisp. Quite pleasant.

D: Well I'll have to try a fresh bottle again to be sure, but I'll be damned if this old bottle of Arrogant Bastard isn't one of the top beers I've ever had. Complex and rich, with the age making it smooth and the body full and satisfying. Not a session beer, especially with the alcohol content, but certainly something I would never turn down.

InDreams, Jul 14, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Appearance was very good. It poured to about a two fingered head. The head remained for quite a while. The lacing was very evident from the time it was poured until the time it was drank. It left a ring around the glass with every drink. The ale was kind of a reddish brown color, with the head being brownish white. I thought the taste was a bit stronger than most dark beers. It definately had a taste that had to be acquired. Mouthfeel was good with just the right amount of carbonation.After I finished my 22 oz bottle the high alcohol content was evident. It gave my a good head rush that was very enjoyable. If it wasnt for the high price I definately would enjoy this beer more often.

youngleo, Jul 12, 2007
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.