Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Erdinger2003

Iowa

3.4/5  rDev -18.5%

The head is thick and frothy, very nice...it stayed even until the last drink. The color is dark brown with an amber hue to it. The smell is slightly roasty, slightly sweet and a little musky. The taste is very hoppy/musky and powerful. It tastes a bit old. The mouthfeel is a little lacking, it's a bit harsh. Overall I will try this one again, but it's not my session beer.

01-07-2007 13:05:00 | More by Erdinger2003
lordofthewiens

Maine

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

A very pretty dark red-brown color with a thick off-white head. It had a sweet, citrusy aroma, as well as some malt. The taste was similar to the aroma. Citrus, and a good lingering bitterness. Maybe the bitterness stayed a little too long, but that's a minor quibble. This was a good beer to drink, very enjoyable.

01-06-2007 14:34:53 | More by lordofthewiens
ZimZamZoom

West Virginia

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a pint glass. No idea about freshness date.

This beer pours a beautiful dark amber with about two fingers of light tan head. Deep malty aroma with bold notes of citrusy hops. Much more fruity aroma than I remember the few times I had it before.

Taste is the same as aroma. Malty and high in citrus. Nice lingering bitter aftertaste.

Nice smooth mouthfeel with not too much carbonation. I like this beer a lot.

This is a nice drinkable strong ale. No too strong to down a couple but don't let them creep up on you!

01-06-2007 00:42:54 | More by ZimZamZoom
StargherKing

Indiana

3.6/5  rDev -13.7%

Poured thick, almost syrupy. No head to speak of. Color is a murky reddish-brown, slightly clearer at the edges of the glass. Smell is somewhat dull, definite scent of hops, a hint of spiciness. Taste is a shockingly strong orange at first, with aspects of pear and pomegranate, giving way to a spicy hop taste and mellowing out to almost a smooth creaminess. Not a real cream taste, more like a cream soda. Mouthfeel is slightly oily, very heavy. Drinkability is ok, the only real problem is the oily mouthfeel, though I could see this being a positive to some people. Overall, while I'm not sure I'd run out and buy more, if offered I would jump at the chance to drink this beer again.

01-05-2007 01:23:55 | More by StargherKing
KyleVick4

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

22 oz bomber

A: Pours a deep red, very dark rust color. White head leaves beautiful lace along the sides. Looks a bit intimdating, or maybe I just read into the marketing to much...

S: Hop smell is dominant, with stong caramel notes. The alcohol is a bit heavy there also. Not as intimidating on the nose.

T: This is where its at. Hits with a good hoppy strike followed by a hearty malt finish. The caramel is strong and rich and you get bits of chocolate in there as well. The alcohol is not as strong a factor as the smell might have suggested, althought the malt may be just a bit to overpowring, I think a bit more hops would work wonders.

M: Thick and chewy, the carbonation is a healthy balance for a beer of this gravity. Shockingly smooth for the amount of malt, goes down very easy.

D: A deceptivly good beer. Very hearty and full of character, plus the advertizing campaign is pretty nice, "Hated by many, loved by few" hell I may put that on my tombstone...
But back to the topic, Stone did a really good job making this a very complex beer, but keeping it drinkable. Kudos.

01-04-2007 04:52:49 | More by KyleVick4
TechMyst

2.5/5  rDev -40%

I thought I was sophisticated enough to enjoy a brew like this. But I tried a bomber of this while vacatining out in Arizona (since I cannot recieve this in IL yet.) and I can't really say I like it. Too much going on , caramel, fruit, overload...I'd rather have an Eye of the Hawk by Mendocino.

01-01-2007 22:56:36 | More by TechMyst
Georgiabeer

Georgia

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

Pours a ruddy dark amber with a small head. hazy. The smell is of grapefruit and spicy hops. Tastes spicy, grapefruity, and piney from all the hops. Long finish, amore grapefruit at the end. A little raw tasting, with a little bit lack of integration. The mouthfeel is alittle overcarbonated and a little thin. Not creamy. A pretty big beer and nice and brawny, but a little superficial and harsh.

01-01-2007 19:50:22 | More by Georgiabeer
Duder13

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

22oz. bottle served in pilsner glass, have been wanting to try this beer for a long time.

A - awesome dark red-mahogany, mouthwatering

S - hearty and friuty, distict hoppiness

T - hoppy and bold, but not overly so. roasted malt bitterness completes the well rounded flavor on this one.

M - heavy, good amount of carbonation and body

D - could drink this all day, one of my favorites

12-31-2006 01:38:41 | More by Duder13
Graebner

Germany

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%

Pours a dark brown-orange with little head that quickly fades. Looks extremely viscous when pouring. Moderate-light bubble columns.

Smells of some sweet fruit, caramel, biscuit, and piney hops. Lots more flavor in there, too...I expect more as it warms up.

Flavor is huge. Lots of caramel and biscuit sweetness, and a hops sledgehammer to balance them out. Awesome diacetyl/buttery notes as the hops vie with the malts for palatal domination.

Mouthfeel is awesome as well, largely because of the aforesaid buttery smoothness. The hops are hanging in my throat, though not in my mouth so much. Smooth. Does not finish very cleanly, but it's the hoppy "coated" feeling like what Ruination gives you, it's not a cloying (eww) or anything like that.

Drinkability is good, abv is not even too terribly high. Only downside would be that if you werent planning on Arrogant Bastard all night, you'd have to have one hell of a beer to follow this one with. I believe this would overpower most others.

12-30-2006 02:57:45 | More by Graebner
mmcave

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Purchased 22oz in Columbus Ohio yet again, poured into tall pint glass, huge thick fluffy off white head, with great retention and sticky lacing all over. The body is a dark red brown southern style iced tea color. Mild American hop fruitiness up front, slightly floral with citrus and beets, caramel malt back ground and a tiny smokey or nutty note.
The taste is an excellently balanced, sweet malt with just enough rounded bitterness. I taste caramel malts with mellow smooth bitterness beets, citrus and sweetness. My only critiques I might wish it was a tiny bit more carbinated. This is definitely one of my favorite American strong ales. I'd totally buy this again especially during the summer.

12-29-2006 22:14:01 | More by mmcave
bigone4

Rhode Island

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a 22oz bottle. Dark amber color almost a dark ruby when back lit. Fluffy off-white cream colored head creating a mild lace down the glass. The head dissipated after a while. Smells of a nice malt sweetness. Mild tones of caramel and a light hop scent. Hints of a citrus scent hidden in the back ground. Nice nose with a very pleasant and distinct aroma. The taste was of a nice well rounded malt flavor up front. Roasted nutty malt flavors followed by a light sweetness on the tongue. Mild hop bitterness rounds out the well balanced flavor in the back of the mouth. This is a great full bodied brew. Great rolling flavor from start to finish. Very smooth and drinkable. Again another well crafted and tasty brew from Stone. I am glad to see that there beers make it to the other side of the US.

12-28-2006 14:58:21 | More by bigone4
bort11

Missouri

4.88/5  rDev +17%

With great thanks to SkinnyElvis for this one.

Shared with my wife over the celebration of the birth of my daughter, Sophia Grace.
22 oz bottle, poured into a tulip glass. Thick frothy head about a fingers width that receded to a mildly sticky lace. Color is a solid dark brown, just the slightest light penetrates around the edges of the glass.
Smell is mostly hoppy with a malt balance to it. Taste is exceptionally balanced between the hops and the malt. The hops hits you up front and then mellows out to a rich roasted malt. Mouthfeel is wonderfully full and creamy.
I wish Stone beers were available in Missouri. I would have this one hand all the time.

12-25-2006 05:58:40 | More by bort11
oakbluff

Manitoba (Canada)

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Appearance- deep red colour with a creamy white head. Smell is more sweet than hoppy which surprised me. Taste is a very balanced to me- the malts and hops are in synchronicity. I was expecting more of a hop blast- it may be that I have held on to this bottle too long and the hops has subsidided. No matter- still a classic west coast beverage. Or it the lack of hops could be due to my mouth being hammered into a submission by a Surly Furious a couple of hours earlier. Mouthfeel is rich with a medium to low carbonation. The head dissapated quite quickly in my pint glass. Overall- it would be a staple for me if I could just access it on a regular basis.

12-24-2006 20:07:02 | More by oakbluff
MiScusi

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%

22oz bottle acquired December '06.

I love this beer as a strong ale. A rich translucent brown in color, with a tan head, the smell that initially hits your nose is fresh floral hops and citrus aromatics. The taste is a caramel maltiness up front with a long lasting intense bitterness at the end. Fresh wet hops are present throughout. As it warms, caramel is much more apparent in the aroma, and the lingering bitterness is much less than I remember the very first time I had it. This might be a beer that some people have to get use to for a while.

12-23-2006 07:48:22 | More by MiScusi
mhaugan

Arizona

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

This beer really started my love of good beer. I first tried this because of it's catchy name when at a bar in college. I have always been and will always be infatuated with the color of this beer. The head takes on a slight amber shade and the beer itself is such a unique bright amber color, that really is eye catching. The taste is amazing. Plenty of hops and a remarkable complexity.

12-22-2006 21:43:24 | More by mhaugan
CH3CH2OH

3.53/5  rDev -15.3%

Pours a dark, reddish brown with a two fingered tan head. Belgian lace forms on the glass as the head falls. Sweet pineapple aroma. Solid wollop of hop bitterness up front with some alcohol and tingling CO2 and dry bitterness in the finish. Some dry grass, barley taste in the background. Medium mouthfeel and very drinkable. Does not do an adquate job of showing a spectrum of hop taste, just bitterness. Many other IIPAs I would prefer.

12-22-2006 00:30:22 | More by CH3CH2OH
zuggy9

4.88/5  rDev +17%

This is a strong solid ale that is strong. Dark copper reddish poir with a tan head with mild retention. It has some citrus esters as well as a nice sweetness, coupled with good hoppiness. The taste is strong, robust and citrusy, with malt sweetness. A bit heavy mouthfeel, and adequately carbonated. Good drinkability, though it can sneak up on you!

12-21-2006 05:24:48 | More by zuggy9
cjhofelt

Washington

2.28/5  rDev -45.3%

Bought a bomber of this tonight because I've heard so many raves about it. I have to say, I was afraid this would happen. It's like this whenever the hype about something takes on a life of it's own. I'm surprised by how many of the top reviewers rate this so highly. I consider this "The Emperors New Beer".

I will say, though, the appearance of this beer is exceptional. It's a rich deep copper color with a dense inch or so of beige head. All beers should be this beautiful in a glass. It made me very hopeful that the beer would live up to it's reputation. The head stayed a long time and left an impressive lacing on the glass. It's a very well made beer, as far as looks go.

But those hopes evaporated when I smelled it. Don't get me wrong, I love the smell of hops. But that's all this beer has. Other beers, good beers, have something besides that. This is a very one dimensional beer.

Taste? Well, there again, I love hops, but I don't care to eat them as a meal by themselves. In fact, there isn't much flavor there, just an intense bitterness that overpowers any hop flavors that I know must be there. There is no subtlety to this beer. It's a real sledge-hammer approach to brewing. It reminds me of guys who enter chili cook-offs with the hottest chili that they can make, but forget that it has to taste good, too. It's like Yngwie Malmsteen's guitar playing. Yeah, he's the fastest, but it's not a race. Play something good, we know you have the skills.

Great mouthfeel, though. It has a very creamy body. Very dry without tasting overly alcoholic (which it kinda' is at 7.2%).

Not very drinkable, though. It was a bit of a chore finishing the bomber. I did, though, it was better than the Miller High Life Lite I tried the other day and couldn't finish.

Sorry, but I can't give this beer a better rating than this, I suppose I'm just not "worthy". Flame away, but, really it's a lame beer with a great marketing strategy. At least it's a well made lame beer.

12-20-2006 05:34:02 | More by cjhofelt
ypsifly

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

Undated bomber poured into an Arrogant Bastard pint glass.

Dark copper to crimson with a smallish head of light tan that shows some retention before falling into a fat veiled ring.

Lots of grapefruit in the nose. Some malty sweetness pokes out underneath but the has hop bomb written all over it.

The taste delivers what the nose promised. Lots of grapefruit bitterness, yet it is framed by just enough malt to keep it somewhat in check. Well rounded overall.

Moderate mouth that has weight with enough carbonation to keep it lively. Very drinkable for such a hop bomb.

12-19-2006 05:48:03 | More by ypsifly
Gatch

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%

22 oz. Bottle

Pretty intense but in a very drinkable way. The aroma brings your guard down, which is mostly a citrus or tropical fruit, like mango, but once you take a sip, it throws you back. I'd say the malt is most present in the aroma, but the hops are more prevalent in the taste.

A head of about 1 inch with a deep mahogany red color. Very smooth but strong palate presence. A subtle chocolate finish that leaves you wanting another mouthful and wanting to investigate more flavors. No alcohol presence, which is good. Definitely a great beer to enjoy at any time, especially at the price. Please drink this.

1/19 - Just had it on tap yesterday at The Yard House in Scottsdale. Wow, this beer is incredible. One of the strongest yet most drinkable beers I've ever had. I needed to edit this because the taste is crazy grapefruits. As soon as it hits your tongue, all the way until you move on to the next beer, it's all grapefruit. I love it.

12-18-2006 00:14:33 | More by Gatch
jrodvog148

Sweden

4.72/5  rDev +13.2%

First had this beer in NYC. Now available here in New Jersey....Thank the beer gods!

Has a great appearance. Pours almost reddish amber. Drank from a pint glass. Goes down smooth and leaves a pleasent aftertaste in your mouth. Be careful though, this smooth drink does pack quite the punch. I went through four glasses of these very quickly.

12-17-2006 17:59:14 | More by jrodvog148
Mdog

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance: Deep red, well carbonated, nice head. Great looking stuff.

Smell: Sweet malt with some pine/citrus hop highlights.

Taste: Starts with some toffee and roasted malt flavors before the citrus and pine hop bitterness takes hold.

Mouthfeel: Very long lasting bitterness.

Drinkability: I like them a little sweeter than this, but if I had to, I could drink this at a session.

Another great beer from Stone. Hopefully the rumor that they'll be distributing in Wisconsin in 2007 is true so I can have these more often. Good stuff!

12-17-2006 17:14:17 | More by Mdog
FtownThrowDown

On draft at Nicholson's in downtown Cincy.
Served in a pub pint glass.
Has a dark gold/brown color with a huge two inch head. That is frothy and plenty sticky. There was very good lacing that covered the entire interior of the glass throughout drinking.
Smell is mostly bitter hops, with some citrusy notes coming through slightly. Taste is bitter but refreshing at the same time. Mouthfeel is somewhat astringent but enjoyable at the same time. Becomes a little cloying after a while.
It's a very good offering on draft, however I think I could only drink a two pints of this at most. Would tire of the taste after that. Would highly recommend, a little more "relaxed" than served from the bottle.

12-16-2006 15:25:02 | More by FtownThrowDown
vickersspitfire

3.88/5  rDev -7%

This is one beer that will definitely throw off your senses; the first thing I smelled was a semi-strong sweet fruity fragrance that resembled some sort of exotic fruit basket. It pours out with a nice thick, light tan head that is a good contrast to dark amber red body of the ale- it’s almost like the picture perfect ale. However, it's mouth feel is creamy and is a bit rough around the edges, but it’s not harsh, and its has a great malty flavor.

12-15-2006 04:20:56 | More by vickersspitfire
Boto

Connecticut

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

22oz. Bomber. This one pours a bit "Thick". There was a bit of an off white head. The beer is a bit clear, and a reddish amber color. Extremely malty with a nice hop afterbite. Unique taste. There is a bit of fruitiness in there. It is very potent. This is one my wife will definitely NOT like. I am Worthy!

12-12-2006 20:43:37 | More by Boto
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.