Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

It had been about a year since I last had this beauty from Stone, while up near Seattle with my wife for the tulip festival. Back then, the name alone drew me to pull it off the rack, while my second time around it was more of a desire to revisit what so many other beer friends quaff on a regular basis. Friends at the campfire got a good kick out other 'your not worthy' and PR campaign diatribe on the back of the bottle.

A: Bomber poured into over sized wine glass to display a dark amber top and coppery bottom. Tough guy one and head khaki head that laced to the moon and retain at medium level till the very last drop. It pleasure to hoist above my head and look at with true admiration.

N: Nose was roasted malts to start off with, then moving to caramle sweentess then settling in to a citrus neighborhood. Now that is what I call a true allure to the beer aficinado.

T: Clench your stomach because your about to get your pallet smashed with a library of flavors. The ABV level is a non factor in putting this fine creation down your throat. You can say it follows the nose but that's if you can keep up with the merry-go round of flavors. I would say the hops with citrus accents are what you get first off, but quickly get bumped off by the wonderul and more powerful sweet malts that probably have caramel coated all over them. The malts and hops marry each other well like any good marriage of opposites.

M: A rugged chewyness of medium to thick body, good tangy carbonation and slick third finish.

D: The boys in San Diego gave this beer a perfect name and it will keep you very happy through the entire quaff. Even better than I remembered from a year ago, Get this beer now!

Brianmerrilyn, Aug 13, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

mega malty, then hops take your toung on a wild ride, all beers should strive to be this one, this is world class, this is great beer, and a great bottle, any bottle that talkes crap about "fizzy yellow" piss beer is ok in my book, and this delevers the tast to back up the crap the bottle talks. GREAT, GREAT, GREAT BEER!!!

orcasteve, Aug 13, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

I like the gargoyle graphic, and the reverse psychology effect of the beer description on the back panel. The cap was gold with "You're Not Worthy" printed in black. Poured a dark reddish-brown hue with a thick, sandy-colored head. Lots of lacing; with this beer I could see exactly how much I drank with each sip by looking at the ring of lacing on the glass. Aroma is very hearty, hoppy. Pine, orange and other citrus aromas. Smells and looks sort of heavy and dense. Medium-bodied with a bit of carbonation that balances wonderfully. Feels hearty without being dense. Despite hoppy flavor and taste, does not feel oily. Taste is strongly of malts, pine and citrus, as the aroma suggested. Finished with bitter hops that did not overwhelm at all. Manages a little sweetness without being too fruity.

The wife helped me choose this beer while I was searching for a craft brew at a store in Albany, NY. I think she was trying to tell me something.

ljbrisson, Aug 11, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -5%

A- Nice dark brown beer. Poured from a bottle into a pint glass gave it a little bit off head. Looks like it's going to taste dark and fluffy.

S- Nutty? Smells dark (I'm used to IPA's and paler ales than this). I'm worried.

T- Wow. Expected to be overhelmed my malts, but I'm not. It's a good dark flavor, but doesn't stick. Has some good bitter hops that stay with you.

M- Good amount of carbonation. Nice.

D- I could have a couple pints, but not much more (well, unless you twist my arm). Tastes great, but it's gonna fill you up!

ders, Aug 10, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a deep amber with a large, enduring head and outstanding lacing. The aroma is pleasantly sour with a hint of lemon. The flavor is strong and malty with delicious floral and citrusy hops, strong with grapefruit and lemon. It is sweet and carmelly - And amazingly refreshing. It has a great, medium-bodied mouthfeel and leaves a nice bitterness on the back end. Grapefruit, lemon. Lovely. Just lovely.

Seanibus, Aug 09, 2008
3.33/5  rDev -20%

Poured this into a Yeti snifter. Dark ruby color with a creamy tan head that melts down the side of the glass slooowly. Impressive retention.

This smells like a heavyweight title bout between hops and malt, with the hops winning a split decision after 12 rounds.

Taste is much the same...big malts, big hops and big alcohol flavors. A good example of west coast hoppiness. I also taste some flowers, brown sugar, hints of butterscotch and more alcohol. For only being 7.2 ABV, the alcohol presence was a bit too noticable and a bit of a bummer.

I think of this beer as one of the forefathers of the widely available American "Big" beer revolution. If you have been hiding under a rock for quite some time and have not had this beer, go git cha some.

Not bad at all, and a decent price tag to boot. Will revisit this one from time to time for nostalgia's sake.

twiggamortis420, Aug 09, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

A:dark amber, you can't see through the glass, one finger of head. Good amount of lacing.

s:oak and malts are all that are coming through for me.perhaps a liitle bit of alcohol

t:malt, and grapefruit hops alcohol barelt noticable

M:good amount of carbonation,crisp.

d:went through my bomber way to fast I could drink another one. I will be drining this one again.

mawacki, Aug 09, 2008
4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

To a Chicagoan, Stone is something of a legend, so I was more than taken aback when confronted with the opportunity of trying a product on tap in out-of-the-way Joseph, OR. It was the more amusing that the manager had no idea where Arrogant Bastard came from.

Anyway, the beer comes with a deep mahogany colour, slight haze, with a generous head of fairly creamy consistency. Fairly pungent aroma of caramel malt and hop aromatics. Flavour is dark and complex with malt, caramel sweetness on top with layered bitter organic components underneath. Full and intense, the flavour lingers.

Superb product unless you like a nice lite beer.

AylwinForbes, Aug 07, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

Served in a pint glass at The British Beer Company in Hyannis, MA this beauty poured a dark mahogany color with a modest but steady light tan head and excellent lacing. The aroma is light herbal hops with a touch of citrus and earthy malt. The body is very smooth and full, the flavor is a very mild citrus and nutty malt. It has a subtle but full carbonation and it is very easy to guzzle this stuff. The hops sneak up on you after a while with more bite, ending up all over your tongue. This draught version is very pleasant but it oddly falls short of what I recall of this in a bomber. Seems a little less prominent in overall flavor for some reason. Still, very decent choice and went well with my shepherds pie.

Durge, Aug 06, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

a: pours a deep amber brown color with red hues around the outside edges
s: sweet caramely malts paired with citrus and herbal malts
t: at the beggining its nice citrus and piny hops then as time progresses the malt backbone is present
m: medium to full bodied beer with good carbonatoin

overall, wow im very glad stone is in wisconsin finally

happygnome, Aug 05, 2008
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

You probably can't handle this beer. In fact, you probably can't handle this review either.

The Arrogant Bastard was pretty much what I expected... a bad ass ale with enough hops, malt and alcohol to separate the men from the boys.

A: Nice reddish-brown color with a 1" head that dissipated quickly, leaving a medium lacing.

SM: Hops, barley, light roast smell. Nice!

M: Medium body, creamy and malty; crisp finish.

T: Good hops flavor that is balanced with the malt. A little roasty with a dry, hoppy aftertaste but not overly bitter. The flavor stays with you and makes you want another sip.

D: I liked the Bastard! This ale went really well with a grilled tuna steak with spicy habanero sauce and grilled asparagus but I could enjoy this one on its own.

One bomber wasn't enough so I won't make the mistake of not buying more next time.

BeachBumC, Aug 05, 2008

A- Pours an amber-brown color with a decently thick head. I was a little suprised at the amount of lacing left behind when I was done.

S- This beer smells unique and wonderful. It has a dark, malty smell with a clear hop presence. The scent of alcohol comes through slightly, especially as the beer warms.

T- The strong malt smell does not come through as strongly in the taste. As a matter of fact, it's way in the background. Agressively bitter hop flavors come through with notes of grapefruit.

M- Medium carbonation and medium body with a crisp finish

D- Like most Stone beers, this one should definately be done in moderation. As much as I like this beer, its bitterness is quite agressive and after one bomber, I feel something maltier or sweeter is more than welcome

JoeMayo, Aug 05, 2008
3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

Pours a deep copper color with a tan head. In the aroma, a big malt presence, and a gritty hop. In the taste, hoppy, small grapefruit notes, and an abrasive maltiness. A bitter medium to big mouthfeel, and a dryer hop aftertaste. Big hops, abrasive, and a palate destroyer. Good, but an ending beer.

OWSLEY069, Aug 03, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Dark ruby-brown, thick creme-head. It looks incredible. That simple.

S: A lot going on with the smell. I get some sweet smell, like cherries. But, I also get a ashy-smoky smell too. A hint of earthiness from the hops.

T: Quite an intriguing beer. As I was swallowing the first sip, I was thinking "I'm not noticing the hops much" and then it just grows in the aftertaste. A bunch of flavors just weaving in and out from sip to swallow to aftertaste. A very sweet malty start, in which I get that slight cherry taste I detected in the smell. The big flavor sits on your tongue after you swallow. I got hints of dark chocolate and the hops grow in the aftertaste. Bitter, but pleasant. Like all Stone beers, the hop flavor is just great. Love the taste it leaves in your mouth.

M: No complaints at all. Perfect body, smooth.

D: I really wish they had six-packs of this stuff. However, a bomber of this is all you need. It is quite the experience, haven't had a beer like this before. Complex, flavorful and always keeps you guessing on what you detect from it. Very malty, very hoppy - a perfect American strong ale.

Beefeater57, Aug 03, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

An awesome extra to find in trade from Ben4881, Thanks man! :D

Served slightly above room temperature, Bomber to standard pint glass, a heavy pour yields a foamy tan head, good retention - pours a hot amber golden shade

smells of deep good malts, caramel/toffee sweetness, hops add a herbal zest

taste is hot but very smooth, bitter, aggressive citric hop finish, sweet malts, creamy, lots of character and depth, very nice

mouthfeel is thick and delicious, the hop resins cling around forever and the alcohol presence is muted but still present. Drinks very nicely, but I wouldn't want to drink many in a sitting unless it was in the interest of getting drunk.

drxandy, Jul 30, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

The back of the bottles describes this as an "aggressive" beer, I was curious as to the meaning of this. After one taste I immediately understood and was instantly hooked. This is one of the best ales ever to pass my lips. The flavor is so complex it was like the fourth of July in my mouth. I can't wait to try their other brews. //12-7-07: I've enjoyed a number of bombers since my initial review including one tonight. This brew is one of the first beers that really lead me to the craft beer craze and for that I am very thankful. Some additional comments in regards to this great beer to complete this review. Pours a dark, burnt copper color with a very large tan head and sticky lacing. A very aromatic hop scent is emitted into the air. Bitter citrus with caramel and sweet breads. I can't believe how well the aroma permeates the air surrounding the top of the glass. Creamy on the palate with a nice bite and puckering finish. Medium bodied and filling. Grand flavor of resinous hops and roasted, sweet malts. A touch nutty, grapefruit and spruce. The flavor sticks to your ribs and assaults the senses. Overall a nicely aggressive and flavorful ale, still one of my favorites that I look forward to returning to every once in a while. A sentimental beer that deserves it's rating.

kinger, Jul 29, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

It poured a beautiful deep amber color with a tan head that left quite a bit of lacing. The aroma is a hoppy and floral with some lingering spices. Taste is malty up front with sweet spices, some tangerine maybe also. Then there is an abundance of hops that explode in your mouth, and it finishes clean. There is slight carbonation up front, with nice creamy mouthfeel. Drinkability is fairly good. I'm on the bandwagon, very nice brew.

mcmidc, Jul 28, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass (topped off twice before finished). Served at 60 degrees.

Appearance - Really good looking copper color with a tan, 2-finger foamy head that dissipates and leaves moderate lacing down the glass.

Smell - Slight floral hop smell and sweet malt. Don't smell too much in this beer.

Taste - Knocks you on your ass from the first sip. Huge hop bitterness, but fairly balanced with malt sweetness. Starts off very sweet and the bitterness comes in alongside the alcohol.

Mouthfeel - Fair amount of carbonation. Feels very, very heavy in the mouth. Hop bitterness stays in your mouth until the next time you brush your teeth. The alcohol can be felt as well, there's no hiding the 7.4 ABV in this brew.

Drinkability - Took me nearly 90 minutes to drink the 22oz bomber and there will be no more imbibing for me tonight. Definitely something you'll want to set aside some time to drink.

Overall, something I will definitely buy again. It's a bit pricey but worth it for those occasions where you want a very strong brew.

swigger, Jul 28, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a deep ruby red colour with a thin but sticky head. A little bit of lacing which looks sticky and great. Very mild carbonation. Looks robust and impressive.

The brew has a sweet, brown-sugar kind of character on the nose, but brimming with potential. It's a strong and complex nose with essence of sultanas peeping through as well.

Wow, doesn't that taste knock your balls off. It's a bit of everything; sour and gritty in parts and a little bit sweet on the finish. The taste just hangs around with a powerful depth like really dark coffee. There's so much to it and it's good, really good. The flavours I can pick are hints of burnt toffee, espresso and a slight plummy character. Very gritty finish, but gritty as in a strong coffee. Mouthfeel is astonishingly smooth and creamy for such a rich, complex ale.

Overall, very impressive and venerable. Not drinkable all the time but I definitely dig this.

laituegonflable, Jul 25, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter. Dark brown in color. Smell is hoppy, which is odd for a dark beer, but I like it. Taste is heavy on the citrus hops, backed up by a sweet roasty malt character that gives this brew an interesting complexity. Like nothing I've had before. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, and well carbonated, but goes down fairly easy. We'll put this one in the medium-bodied category. The bomber is going down fast, mostly because the flavor is so big and so delicious. But the ABV, which isn't incredibly high, can be felt and tasted keeping this to a once in sitting delight.

KeefD, Jul 24, 2008
3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

A - True definition of exceptional. Great head that retains some of its head throughout the pint. Lacing was also exceptional. A very attractive beer.

S - little bland but still good. A sweet malt smell where a good level of hops was also present.

T - Good ale, it was pleasant drink but the whole time I was trying to figure out the style. A definate hybrid

M - heavier than I thought. As you swallow the tastes develop greatly.

D - Surprisingly drinkable for the abv but by no means a session beer and one that I would not mind revisiting but I like others more.

Baileyuk, Jul 24, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

22oz. bomber poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Vibrant, mahogony red color with one finger of tan colored head that retained well and left a good amount of sticky lacing.

A: Much more hoppy than what I was expecting. Citrus and pine hops with a very nice sweet malt that balances the nose very well.

T: Man, this is a fine tasing ale. The citrus and pine hops are balanced so well with the malts. Sweet, citrusy, and finishes extremelly smooth.

M&D: The moderate amount of carbonation makes for an increadiblly smooth mouthfeel for this medium bodied ale. Drinkability is through the roof, at 7.2% ABV I could session this. Probably my favorite American Strong Ale I have had to date. Excellent! Skal.

Gtreid, Jul 20, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Thanks very much to my GF for bringing this back from the States for me.

Pours with a ruby-flecked dark amber body. Shiny and clear, capped with a yellow-white head of filmy bubbles. Fantastic lacing, but minimal carbonation. Love the colour, looks like a great, strong, ale.

Amazing nose, huge hits of American hops, tropical fruits, aniseed, pineapple, passionfruit, capsicum, resin, berries. Delicious, luscious, rich. Hint of something deeper and darker as well, perhaps bourbon or strong vanilla. One hell of a rich smelling beer.

Initial vegetative hint of crushed lime leaves on the palate; that fresh, natural character, followed by quite a strong resiny hop bitterness. Peppery, astringent and robust. Quite delicious and fragrant. Pine, lime zest and lots more of the pointy end of the taste spectrum. Alcohol hidden behind the hop character. Quite delicious. Mouthfeel is quite syrupy, thick and smooth.

This is, truly, an aggressive beer. But it's a well brewed one, and it has a measure of balance to its madness. Full-flavoured, rich, robust and unforgettable.

I'm very glad I got to try it.

lacqueredmouse, Jul 20, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -11.5%

P: Served on-tap @ Romans' Pub on 7-18-08 and presented in an Arrogant Bastard Ale pint glass.

A: Pours a deep ruby color with a one-finger, tan-colored head that hangs impressively.

S: Citrus hops aroma with layers of malty sweetness.

T: Citrus hops with big notes of sweet, caramel malts and hints of oak. As it warms, grapefruit and pine come into play. Bitterness buzzes the palate throughout the session and lingers at the finish.

M: Full-bodied with a smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Active carbonation attacks at mid-tongue.

D: An American Strong Ale, indeed. Two and you're worthy.

CaptainIPA, Jul 19, 2008
4.08/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The dark amber in body topped by gargantuan off-white head. Smell is of cloves, grass, plastic action figure (no joke), some pepper, hop resin. The taste is smooth and has flavors of grass, plastics, hop resin, mild breadiness, toast and roast, booze, smooth bitterness, dry grainy finish but some resiny aftertaste persists. A little smokey and medium bodied in mouthfeel. This beer can hang out in the palate for a while, light carbonation doesn't attack the tongue and it smoothly flows down. The drinkability allows for you to keep hanging out with the Arrogant Bastard, hell, he could even stay the night. But he may want a brew too.

JRed, Jul 16, 2008
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.