Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros

On- Tap...Pint Glass....

A- Dark amber-brown- darker than usual but still brown. Huge head-tons of lacing, lasted throughout the glass.

S- Tons of hops- dried fruits- raisins

T- Holy mother of hops- intense flavor- never lost any speed- some citrus- some oak.

M- Smooth and silky on my tongue- some burning on my throat.

D- 7.2% not bad- after one glass I was feeling it already- not for the faint at heart.

So complex, so hoppy, and so good. This is a true classic.

One of the best.

DavidSeanNJ, Aug 04, 2007
4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

The dark amber ale poured quite nicely leaving a frothy head. This ale has a fruity scent to it. The hops dominates the malt in nose even though it doesn't when you actually consume the worthy beverage. The ale is sweet and fruity initially and then turns almost sour. The sour soon turns to the hops with a burnt and bitter taste. I found nothing unappealing with this variation of tastes. You mouth feels slightly bitter and dry when all said and done. The more you drink the better this tastebud rollercoaster becomes. I found that the initial tennis match back and forth the sweet and bitter ended well balanced by the bottom of the glass.

Rootdog316, Aug 01, 2007
4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

poured from the double-deuce bottle with a menacing demon gargoyle scowling at me.

A- almost blood red with 2in of sticky clumpy beige head that settles slowly to 1/4 in and stays with it the whole time. the lace was like icing on tiers of cake that formed a layer with each gulp i took. there were 8 rings of dripping foam around my pint glass when i finished this ridiculously complex ale.

S- no room for explanation, i'm just gonna rattle em off: red wine cask (merlot shiraz cabernet) , raisins, prunes, sour citrus, dandilion wine, resinous hops, cereal, oats, rye, wheat, red wood, cherry wood, cedar, blackberry, pomegranate, dead flowers

T- at first, roasted malt, coffee, burnt caramel & toffee, unripe berries, orange peel, lemon peel, grapefruit rind, burnt toast, then toasted grains, floral citrus hops, tar, alcohol, and a hint of dark chocolate, with a lingering bitter hop aftertaste that makes me pucker.

MF- silky smooth AND sticky all at once with exceptional carbonation levels. goes down wayyy too easy, which is a good thing.

D- the label was right, this beer is exceedingly complex. after 22 oz, my world has officially been rocked. could be the best ale i've ever had, but like an IPA, its intense and complex taste would not allow me to drink this all night long. i guess i just can't handle it.

hustlesworth, Jul 31, 2007
4.72/5  rDev +13.2%

Received in a trade from BeerTruth!

A - Deep ruby amber or brown color. Head is slightly rocky, light brown and fades to a quarter inch. Strong lacing, thick sheets and tracks.

S - Smells great! Piny and citrusy hops excellently balanced with, rich sweet, creamy and spicy cereal malts. Malts are slightly ahead here.

T/M - Starts out very creamy and malty with a slight hop kick, then into some spicier malty flavors, coffee interestingly enough, and some sweeter hoppy bitterness. Finish leaves some spicy, hoppy and some darker chocolate flavors. Overall very minimal carbonation, I would have liked to have seen more.
I'd probably classify this one as an Imperial Amber Ale, as it is very malty and yet still very hoppy.

D - This is great! Very easy to drink, and still very complex. I will definitely keep this one on my wants list.

umustdrink, Jul 31, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the 22 oz. bomber into my pint glass to produce a 1.5" creamy light tan head over the top of a copper colored, slightly hazy, liquid. The head dissipated gradually leaving pronounced lacing.

The aroma was subdued. However, a piney hop character dominated.

The taste: GREAT beer with many complexities. Enjoy this one.... savor it it by letting it embrace your mouth and tongue. Piney hops is the first taste that hits you. But some roasted malty sweetness balances it very well. Tastes of grapefruit rind, pine, and, in the background, caramel and roasted malt.

Mouthfeel: Nice and rich. appropriate carbonation. A nice thick and chewy feeling for this beer.

Drinkability: So far, my reference beer for "American Strong Ale". I will try many to see if any one can knock the Arrogant Bastard off his pedestal. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

TheBierBand, Jul 30, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

i realize that i am not worthy. this beer is excellent. i like it more than the double. pours a beautiful dark color. the smell and taste is going to smack you up side da head! very good malt and hop balance. about halfway through i really started tasting and feeling the alcohol. this beer kicks ass!

i very highly recomend this bad boy!

suckem up and movem out!

giblet

giblet, Jul 27, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

To start off, my friends that drink Pabst wouldn't understand, but a beer snob like myself this is all-around good brew. I would give this beer to someone who wanted an intro into craft beer, as others have said, a great "gateway beer."

I got another 22 Ounce bomber, yes I have had this before. Poured into a pint glass.

A: Reddish amber, the head was gone quick leaving a slight creamy head. I swear there "things" floating in this beer.

S: I instantly thought HOPS, with fruity undertones, didn't noticed the malt others have said. I thought "I wonder what kind of hops this is, cause its good." haha I used this beer to show my sister what hops smelled like.

T: Great hop presence, not too overbearing like an IPA. The aftertaste is fruity and maybe a tad bread-like. After tasting a few more sips, I did get the malt tones, but overall I tasted hops.

M: Stays with you, a little dry, but over-all good!

D: If it wasn't so expensive I would drink this all day.

Price = bad Taste = good
Thats usually the case with Stone, but a great brewery. great beers! This one will not let you down.

blackheartbilly, Jul 26, 2007
4.68/5  rDev +12.2%

This is one of my absolute favorite beers. I first drank it in a fisherman’s bar in Alaska. There is no doubt about it.... this was my gateway beer, it sent me in search of other true "craft" brews.

A: A nice mahogany red in color. Big thick 3 finger head at the initial pour. There is nice lacing left behind as I pounded this one.

S: Very nice and hoppy. There is definite pine and citrus with hints of caramel and molasses.

T: This is where this beer shines. At first swallow I taste the pine, very resiny. Then the hops come on the scene. It finishes very malty bready almost with the taste of hops still lingering. Perfectly Balanced.

M: Medium bodied and ever so smooth and creamy.

D: I love this beer and could drink it by the growler full until I was fall down drunk.

Overall: As I said I give this beer credit for turning me into the beer geek / hophead that I am. Before trying this beer I was happy consuming BMC with an occasional micro brew on the side. When I left Alaska I did not see it again for several years. In the meantime I began to reach out to other brewers in the attempt to find something special.

Today every time I travel I keep an eye out for Arrogant Bastard since it is not yet available in Florida. I see her as an old flame, a lost love. Every time we reunite there are sparks which brings me back to my trip to Alaska, one of the greatest experiences of my life. Thank you Stone for making this beer which brought me out of my shell and sent me in search of other great craft brews. But most of all thank you for bring out the Arrogant Bastard in me.

Now go F**k yourself...just kidding...you have to excuse me I just pounded a bomber and that’s the Arrogant Bastard coming out of me.

tpd975, Jul 24, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On a whim I checked to see if I had reviewed this beer during one of the other 100 times I've drank a bottle. Turns out I haven't, but that may make this the first of the 1100+ reviews for Arrogant Bastard carried out in Germany. Thanks to the misses for brining this back with her. Enough of stuff you don't care about...

Poured an amazingly fine light-brown head that looked like it belonged on a Stout, and left strings of lace. Deep mahogany colored beer has a ruby glow when back lit. Aroma is bursting with pineapple along with candy sugar, alcohol, and rum. A half ton of citrus hop flavor rides a firm base of malty goodness. Finishes fairly bitter, but with lots of flavor to balance it out. The bitterness doesn't seem to disappear completely, and builds up over time. Innnnteresting. While the body is full the mouthfeel is soft and smooth making for a soothing drink. Boy do I miss this beer.

HappyHourHero, Jul 22, 2007
4.2/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up in CA and brought back with me to KS. Wish Stone would start distributing to the midwest. Anyway...

Smells of raisins and hops. Deep, rich flavor. Alcohol more evident than expected in an under eight percenter. Almost like an abby ale with a hoppy kick. Very enjoyable, and you have to love the pure arrogance all over the bottle. Great job, Stone!

kcillini77, Jul 19, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pours a dark ruby red, almost brown with a thick yellowish tan head which lasts for the whole glass, unbelievable lacing, thick and rich.

S: Dark toasty bready malts and piney hops.

T: Much of the same as in the smell, toasty bready malts start out the flavor, backed by incredibly strong piney hop bitterness.

M: Smooth, resiny, a bit oily, a good American Strong Ale.

D: As warned on the label, this ale is definitely not for a novice beer drinker. Strong flavors abound, good drinkability though, a great beer from Stone, definitely shows what they're about.

Halcyondays, Jul 16, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

there's just something about pouring a beer into it's own glass that makes it more appealing. this one is a dark, hazy, ruby-brown with tan head and lacing. pretty powerful and complex aroma of molasses, caramel, dark stone fruits, rum, mugicha (roasted barley tea), and resiny pine. taste is a lighter than expected malt sweetness cleaned out by a considerable roasty hop bitterness. a bit astringent on the finish. medium in body. this would stand up well to hearty and richly flavored foods (barbecued ribs, anyone?), and more than hold it's own with a cigar, which is this beer's next mission. definitely a sipper.
note: have had much more of this in the interim. both maltier and hoppier than previously noted, and more complex. a heavy hitting, big beer.

MrMcGibblets, Jul 16, 2007
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Let me begin by saying that this is the third time I've tried Arrogant Bastard. The first time, I just flat out disliked it. It was, perhaps, too aggressive for me back then. I then got a bottle and aged it 6 months or so. Tried it, appreciated the quality a bit more, but still didn't quite enjoy it. Now, I'm out in Cali again staying at an older brothers and I stumble upon a bottle I bought for him when I bought Arrogant Bastard the first time. It's from April 2005, and he drinks Heineken Light so I guess he was too boring to try it. Now, 2+ years old, this beers kicks ass. Seriously.

Poured out of a 2+ yr old bottle into a snifter.

A: Clutch; a rich mahogany with at least 2 fingers of tan-colored head that lingers throughout and leaves a satisfying lace all around the glass. Dark, sure, but not thick.

S: Blend of vanilla and woody malts are the first thing I get. Definitely lots of hops too; citrusy. When I take a sip I also pick up on the caramel character of the malts and, I think, an oak-like character, maybe going back to the woody observation.

T: This is where the aging made it great. Everything's become smooth to the point where none of the flavors really dominate the others. I get the caramel malts, very rich, with hints of that vanilla and oak. Brings to mind brandy and rye bread. As soon as the beer hits the back of your mouth it's all about the hops. Still very powerful but mellowed out enough that it doesn't smack you in the face. There's a moment of citrus, but less than expected. Floral and grassy notes take over pretty quickly, with that dry hop bitterness that begs another sip. Crisp, strong, but very complex. No traces of alcohol.

M: Certainly not a heavy beer, but pretty full-bodied regardless. Carbonation has mellowed on mine, but still pretty crisp. Quite pleasant.

D: Well I'll have to try a fresh bottle again to be sure, but I'll be damned if this old bottle of Arrogant Bastard isn't one of the top beers I've ever had. Complex and rich, with the age making it smooth and the body full and satisfying. Not a session beer, especially with the alcohol content, but certainly something I would never turn down.

InDreams, Jul 14, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Appearance was very good. It poured to about a two fingered head. The head remained for quite a while. The lacing was very evident from the time it was poured until the time it was drank. It left a ring around the glass with every drink. The ale was kind of a reddish brown color, with the head being brownish white. I thought the taste was a bit stronger than most dark beers. It definately had a taste that had to be acquired. Mouthfeel was good with just the right amount of carbonation.After I finished my 22 oz bottle the high alcohol content was evident. It gave my a good head rush that was very enjoyable. If it wasnt for the high price I definately would enjoy this beer more often.

youngleo, Jul 12, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass. Deep reddish ruby-amber with a thick, off-white head that persisted for quite some time.
Big hop nose with some spicy, floral characteristics.
Taste is outstanding - the spiciness of the hops are ever-present and the bitterness lingers through the aftertaste, but not so long that I wish it had gone away sooner. The alcohol level is evident in the brew, but not overly hot.
The mouthfeel is lively with a solid level of carbonation, with a clean, fairly dry finish.
Overall an excellent brew to appreciate, higher alcohol content and aggressiveness of the beer as a whole doesn't lend it to being a session beer. I can't see drinking several in an evening, but I can see enjoying one bottle at a time for several evenings to come.

kevinglin, Jul 06, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from the bottle a deep clear ruby brown with a thick rich creamy tan head. The staying power of the head is remarkable. Moderate lacing was noted.

Sweet malts, soft caramel and citrusy hops stand out to the nose.

The taste really mirrors the smell. Sweet caramel and malt along with the hoppy bitterness and bite. The alcohol is well hidden.

Medium body with a mellow carbonation.

This ale was everything I expected. Definitely not a sessionable beer but one to enjoy at every opportunity.

Monkeyknife, Jul 05, 2007
3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a shaker pint, Arrogant Bastard is clear ruddy brown, with a huge light khaki head that subsides to thick skim leaving moderate lace.

The nose is caramel malt and citrus hops, but not the same brightness as an IPA, they form an interesting combination that is more then the sum of the parts. Frankly, I'd prefer the hops unadulterated.

The taste is initially malty and grainy, but is quickly obliterated by the hops, finishes dry and bitter. I wonder how fresh the hops are, here they come across more grassy/leafy then much citrus or pine that I would expect. While the taste is pretty strong, it's not the richest strong ale, which is good because the finish quickly beckons another sip.

Light bodied for the style, moderate carbonation.

This is pretty drinkable for the style, but it's ultimately not the most memorable or inspiring ale.

ccrida, Jul 01, 2007
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured from a 22 oz bomber into the Stone Arrogant Bastard glass -- a tall, somewhat narrow glass that widens slightly as you go up. Sort of like a pilsner glass, but it doesn't taper all the way to a point at the bottom. Anyhow, a 2-finger khaki/tan bubbly head with staying power settles over a dark amber body with mahogany hues when held to the light. Rings and webs of foamy lacing are left behind all the way down the glass.

S: There's a lot going on in the nose: wet, grapefruity hops recall the 10th Anniversary IPA in many ways, but there's also a sugary-sweet malt scent clearly present underneath as well, hinting at brown sugar, berries and dried fruit.

T: Like the nose in a lot of ways -- candied grapefruit on top of big, sweet caramel malt hit the mouth early in the taste. Dry, bitter and even piney or leafy hops linger at the finish, with a hydration-sucking dry tang that makes the mouth water and really encourages the next sip. Great balance between the sweetness of the malt and the big hops, with a long bitter aftertaste lingering.

M: Medium to heavy in heft, and maybe just a tad bit too sharp and prickly in feel.

D: For a strong beer, this is pretty drinkable. It left a pretty solid buzz about 2/3 of the way down the bomber.

Notes: This bottle says it was best by April 30, 2007; I consumed it about 7 weeks beyond that, but I don't think that detracted from it at all. I recently drank a bottle from my cellar that had a best by date of September, 2005 that hadn't aged well; it had lost the hop bite just about completely. Younger, as this one was, it was a better balanced beer, smelled better and was more drinkable. I still liked it better on tap, but this is solid in a bottle too. Just don't let it get too old. . . .

Kendo, Jun 28, 2007
4.05/5  rDev -2.9%

Slightly hazy ruby/amber color with a thick, creamy head. Nice lacing on the sides of my pint glass.

Floral, citrus, semi-sweet caramel and grainy notes come through in the aroma.

The taste comes in pleasing waves: a gentle sweetness hits the front of the palette first, followed by an earthy and gradually strengthening malt/hop combo. Perfumy hops fill the nose while roasted, almost vegetal flavors give way quickly to an aftertaste with a slight alcohol bite and lingering hop bitterness.

Medium-bodied ale with medium carbonation.

Complexity and drinkability in the same package. Great offering from the craft beer world.

shark262, Jun 27, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

A - Poured out a dark amber/burgandy color with a foamy, tan, two finger head. Left huge rings of lace.

S - It smelled of malt and powerful hops.

T - It tasted of grassy hop bitterness. The malt flavor is toasty and burnt. Also, a warm alcohol flavor.

M - It was crisp and sharp. A medium to heavy-bodied beer.

D - Great in so many ways. The description on the bottle was hysterical. The taste is outstanding. I am very pleased with my first beer from Stone.

zeff80, Jun 27, 2007
3.93/5  rDev -5.8%

V.07

Dark copper and almost ruby, with an aggressive head that sticks around for a while. Subdued florals, hop and sugar, with a mild bready undertone.
Crisp, dry bitterness with a malty backbone. Somewhat bitter finish. Nothing extraordinary, but far from regular. Not as complex as I would have hoped for, coming from Stone.
Medium bodied, and pretty well structured, but the alcohol is inserting itself, and I'm now experiencing the "gummy snot" in the back of the throat that is working its way up front which is unpleasant.
Mostly easy drinking. Recommended.

scott, Jun 27, 2007
3.43/5  rDev -17.7%

22oz bottle, no freshness date noted. Pours a clear medium brown with little carbonation but lots of head. Strong malty aroma with a good dose of hops on the nose as well. The flavour is less interesting than I was hoping for. Heavy on the malts and not as much hops as I thought there might be, although the hop taste does seem to grow as the beer goes on. I'm afraid I can't rate the Arrogant Bastard nearly as high as most people here - perhaps just not my type.

sstackho, Jun 20, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

Served in a pint glass from the tap. Appeared a wonderful dark amber color with a solid one finger head that remained throughout. Aroma of floral hops covered in caramel. The taste is where this flagship of the Stone lineup shines. Great fresh floral and citrus hop flavors combined with caramel, vanilla and slight dark chocolate. Can taste the beginnings of some flavor components that really come out in the oaked version. Very nice velvety feel with medium-heavy body. Good drinkability although it can get quite filling as this is a hefty brew. This is definitely one of my all-time favorites thanks to its bold flavor from both the hop and malt elements.

Daehpoh, Jun 19, 2007
3.63/5  rDev -12.9%

Arrogant Bastard Ale pours a dense tan head over a clear
ruby brew. the nose is herbal hop, malt, and ale yeast. There
is no detectable carbonation in this sample, though the head
seems to have impressive staying power. The flavor is malt
and herbal hop, with an intense grassy hop finish. The mouthfeel
is full and round, yet also a bit astringent due to the big hop
profile. All that flavor makes the 7.2% alcohol by volume a sneaky
surprise. I'm not a big fan of grassy hops, but it you are that kind of
a drinker, this one's for you. Impressive.

shadow1961, Jun 18, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber.

A- Pours a very deep amber with a thick tan head.

S- Very powerful nose, spicy, flowery, fruity, with strong malt scent coming through.

T- Powerful, very spicy with a strong alcohol kick, more hoppy than malty, with a dry finish.

M- Reasonably smooth, nice dry finish.

D- A decent strong beer, too many though and you will pay for it.

cichief, Jun 17, 2007
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.