Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
TheSarge

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

Arrogant Bastard Ale gives off aromas of lemon/grapefruit characters, with a little bit hint of spruce. I find there is also a slight smokiness that is unique to pale ales.

It tastes brilliantly balanced with thick maple syrup like malt, and strong as hell hops aroma. This beer is brilliant.

It’s very richly carbonated and produces mammoth head, which lasts upwards of 10 minutes after being initially poured. The body is a richly deeply dark reddish amber in color and is somewhat translucent.

This feels very syrupy and smooth, with a moderate amount of CO2. There is a slight oilyness from the hops and a warm follow through after each sip.

01-30-2007 19:27:39 | More by TheSarge
Normski

Washington

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Sometime hard to find but a exceptional beer form the first mouth full one is forced to say "Holy molly that's good beer". I would love to try this beer on tap I think you lose a bit of taste in a bottle. The Bottle is good try this beer!!!!

01-30-2007 05:34:12 | More by Normski
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

as of this review, there are 1040 reviews applied. I got one of these via trade!!! Not sure the age but I think it's around a year or so in the bottle. Tasty, a bit reserved in the hops flavor and aroma compared to a fresh version. I liked it better with some age on it. I could imagine it cellaring a year or two longer and seeing how it comes out. While not in my market, I can see why people like this brew. For today I'll leave the expansive descriptions to the other 1040 people.

01-26-2007 14:19:47 | More by barleywinebrewer
Eirerate

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 1 pt 6 fluid oz bottle into a glass. Love the bottle which is worth the read for the entertainment. Wonderful ruby brown color with a sturdy tan head that left an appealing lace in my glass. Smell was very complex — there is a lot going on here. Hops are all over the place as well as the roasted grains the fruit esters. Very enjoyable. Complex flavor that I found to be more enjoyable as the beer warmed a bit. This beer is hard to find in my area, but it was worth all the effort. I enjoyed this beer very much and would gladly purchase more.

01-25-2007 18:09:06 | More by Eirerate
Conrad

Ontario (Canada)

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Not available in Canada, but I was lucky enough to get a bottle as a Christmas present. The label and script on the bottle is a hoot. Even if you are not a bitters fan, you should get one just to read the thing.
As a hop head, I can say this ale is one of the best ESBs I have ever tried.
Appearance is a nice dark ruby amber with a thick attractive head that lasted several minutes and left sparkly lacing.
Smell: The hops bitters hit the nose with a punch. Then you pick up on strong malt with a bit of spice.
Taste: Aggressive hops bitterness jumps on the tongue and wants to stay there. The malts are big enough to keep the hops in line, making this a well build beer. Yum. One of my favourites.
Mouthfeel: Heavy, with perky carbonation as a big ale should have. Long bitters finish. Very refreshing.
Drinkability: I want more! This goes down smooth and easy. Top marks.
Now if only they would export this from USA to CAN.

01-24-2007 17:47:39 | More by Conrad
BrewMonkey

4.13/5  rDev -1%

Probably my favorite beer ever.

Pours very dark with tons of sticky head. Even with a slow light pour you end up with a good 1 inch of head.

Aroma is hoppy but with a strong malty background. Taste follows suit. As the bottle indicates, the hop flavor is very aggressive, but the body and maltiness is perfectly balanced with the hops. Body is heavy, almost syrupy, but finishes with the hoppy bitterness that sticks to your pallete.

Only the slight heaviness keeps this beer from being more drinkable. Otherwise, it's the most flavorful beer I've enjoyed to date.

01-23-2007 19:34:48 | More by BrewMonkey
scorched

3.43/5  rDev -17.7%

Served in a 1 pt 6 fluid oz bottle into a glass...

The color is quite nice. A deep amber color, which almost looks like barley wine. Unfortunately, this is not barley wine. The head doesn't stick around that long, no matter how hard you pour it.

The smell is interesting, to say the least. A very yeasty smell, with some sweet malt smell, and a definite hop presence. Not sure what the IBU is here, but its definitely high. Not quite balanced with the malt profile.

The taste like I said before, is unbalanced, and very hoppy. Hoppy beers are my forte, but I'm not sure I can get into this one so well.

The mouthfeel is heavily carbonated, as one would expect with an ale, not smooth at all.

Not really that drinkable, due to the overly carbonated profile and unbalanced profile... Just like the bottle says, I probably won't like it... well, I'll give it a "why the hell not."

01-23-2007 05:14:48 | More by scorched
mrasskicktastic

3.35/5  rDev -19.7%

A - Reddish brown with a one and a half finger head that leaves thick lacing all down the glass.

S - Sweet caramel malt, strong pine hops - not much else.

T - Bitter immediately. Mostly bitter pine hops with a bit of grapefruit pith bitterness too. It almost tastes sour, but I think it is just a side effect of the bitterness.

M - Thin, a little harsh, pretty refreshing.

D - Alright. If you love bittering hops, then this is for you. I think it could use a bit more depth in flavor to be a truly great beer, but a great delivery of what I believe the brewer is intending this to be.

01-19-2007 02:13:34 | More by mrasskicktastic
halfassedjedi

3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

This is my first beer review, and as im not very skilled in the art of beer tasting, im kinda winging it here.
Bought this beer after the chargers lost to the patriots in this years playoffs. Big bummer for me, but whatever.
Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Beer poured a very nice amber mahogany shade. Nice thick one finger head that stayed more or less towards the end of the drink. Lacing was decent. Mouthfeel, to me, was pretty good but a bit bitter. I like bitter, but it lingered a bit longer than I would have liked. Other than that, taste was awesome. Nice and malty, with enough hops to balance it out. I would recommend this to any fan of nice dark ales.

01-15-2007 02:39:56 | More by halfassedjedi
RobertDwight

Iowa

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%

Waited quite a while to try this beer. Have to come right out and say that its a damn tasty brew and I wish I could have more already! This beer has a deep amber color with decent head that fades quite a bit, but has a slight amount of retention. Smell is dominated by hops, but doesn't over power it. I think they are amarillos, but not sure. Taste is wonderful, a close perfect balance between malt and hops...one doesn't over power the other. Mouthfeel and drinkability are very high. I could confidently say that I would drink one of these everyday if given the chance! Stone PLEASE distribute to Iowa!

01-12-2007 04:25:37 | More by RobertDwight
riversider76

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

I've heard a lot about this beer. Pours amber nice head with good retention, and lacing. Smell is not as strong as expected. Sweet citrus, and hops mostly. Body is thick with some carbionation. Taste is a good combionation, of sweet dark fruits, and nice earthy hops. Very good.

01-11-2007 01:19:00 | More by riversider76
Erdinger2003

Iowa

3.4/5  rDev -18.5%

The head is thick and frothy, very nice...it stayed even until the last drink. The color is dark brown with an amber hue to it. The smell is slightly roasty, slightly sweet and a little musky. The taste is very hoppy/musky and powerful. It tastes a bit old. The mouthfeel is a little lacking, it's a bit harsh. Overall I will try this one again, but it's not my session beer.

01-07-2007 13:05:00 | More by Erdinger2003
lordofthewiens

Maine

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

A very pretty dark red-brown color with a thick off-white head. It had a sweet, citrusy aroma, as well as some malt. The taste was similar to the aroma. Citrus, and a good lingering bitterness. Maybe the bitterness stayed a little too long, but that's a minor quibble. This was a good beer to drink, very enjoyable.

01-06-2007 14:34:53 | More by lordofthewiens
ZimZamZoom

West Virginia

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a pint glass. No idea about freshness date.

This beer pours a beautiful dark amber with about two fingers of light tan head. Deep malty aroma with bold notes of citrusy hops. Much more fruity aroma than I remember the few times I had it before.

Taste is the same as aroma. Malty and high in citrus. Nice lingering bitter aftertaste.

Nice smooth mouthfeel with not too much carbonation. I like this beer a lot.

This is a nice drinkable strong ale. No too strong to down a couple but don't let them creep up on you!

01-06-2007 00:42:54 | More by ZimZamZoom
StargherKing

Indiana

3.6/5  rDev -13.7%

Poured thick, almost syrupy. No head to speak of. Color is a murky reddish-brown, slightly clearer at the edges of the glass. Smell is somewhat dull, definite scent of hops, a hint of spiciness. Taste is a shockingly strong orange at first, with aspects of pear and pomegranate, giving way to a spicy hop taste and mellowing out to almost a smooth creaminess. Not a real cream taste, more like a cream soda. Mouthfeel is slightly oily, very heavy. Drinkability is ok, the only real problem is the oily mouthfeel, though I could see this being a positive to some people. Overall, while I'm not sure I'd run out and buy more, if offered I would jump at the chance to drink this beer again.

01-05-2007 01:23:55 | More by StargherKing
KyleVick4

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

22 oz bomber

A: Pours a deep red, very dark rust color. White head leaves beautiful lace along the sides. Looks a bit intimdating, or maybe I just read into the marketing to much...

S: Hop smell is dominant, with stong caramel notes. The alcohol is a bit heavy there also. Not as intimidating on the nose.

T: This is where its at. Hits with a good hoppy strike followed by a hearty malt finish. The caramel is strong and rich and you get bits of chocolate in there as well. The alcohol is not as strong a factor as the smell might have suggested, althought the malt may be just a bit to overpowring, I think a bit more hops would work wonders.

M: Thick and chewy, the carbonation is a healthy balance for a beer of this gravity. Shockingly smooth for the amount of malt, goes down very easy.

D: A deceptivly good beer. Very hearty and full of character, plus the advertizing campaign is pretty nice, "Hated by many, loved by few" hell I may put that on my tombstone...
But back to the topic, Stone did a really good job making this a very complex beer, but keeping it drinkable. Kudos.

01-04-2007 04:52:49 | More by KyleVick4
TechMyst

2.5/5  rDev -40%

I thought I was sophisticated enough to enjoy a brew like this. But I tried a bomber of this while vacatining out in Arizona (since I cannot recieve this in IL yet.) and I can't really say I like it. Too much going on , caramel, fruit, overload...I'd rather have an Eye of the Hawk by Mendocino.

01-01-2007 22:56:36 | More by TechMyst
Georgiabeer

Georgia

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

Pours a ruddy dark amber with a small head. hazy. The smell is of grapefruit and spicy hops. Tastes spicy, grapefruity, and piney from all the hops. Long finish, amore grapefruit at the end. A little raw tasting, with a little bit lack of integration. The mouthfeel is alittle overcarbonated and a little thin. Not creamy. A pretty big beer and nice and brawny, but a little superficial and harsh.

01-01-2007 19:50:22 | More by Georgiabeer
Duder13

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

22oz. bottle served in pilsner glass, have been wanting to try this beer for a long time.

A - awesome dark red-mahogany, mouthwatering

S - hearty and friuty, distict hoppiness

T - hoppy and bold, but not overly so. roasted malt bitterness completes the well rounded flavor on this one.

M - heavy, good amount of carbonation and body

D - could drink this all day, one of my favorites

12-31-2006 01:38:41 | More by Duder13
Graebner

Germany

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%

Pours a dark brown-orange with little head that quickly fades. Looks extremely viscous when pouring. Moderate-light bubble columns.

Smells of some sweet fruit, caramel, biscuit, and piney hops. Lots more flavor in there, too...I expect more as it warms up.

Flavor is huge. Lots of caramel and biscuit sweetness, and a hops sledgehammer to balance them out. Awesome diacetyl/buttery notes as the hops vie with the malts for palatal domination.

Mouthfeel is awesome as well, largely because of the aforesaid buttery smoothness. The hops are hanging in my throat, though not in my mouth so much. Smooth. Does not finish very cleanly, but it's the hoppy "coated" feeling like what Ruination gives you, it's not a cloying (eww) or anything like that.

Drinkability is good, abv is not even too terribly high. Only downside would be that if you werent planning on Arrogant Bastard all night, you'd have to have one hell of a beer to follow this one with. I believe this would overpower most others.

12-30-2006 02:57:45 | More by Graebner
mmcave

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Purchased 22oz in Columbus Ohio yet again, poured into tall pint glass, huge thick fluffy off white head, with great retention and sticky lacing all over. The body is a dark red brown southern style iced tea color. Mild American hop fruitiness up front, slightly floral with citrus and beets, caramel malt back ground and a tiny smokey or nutty note.
The taste is an excellently balanced, sweet malt with just enough rounded bitterness. I taste caramel malts with mellow smooth bitterness beets, citrus and sweetness. My only critiques I might wish it was a tiny bit more carbinated. This is definitely one of my favorite American strong ales. I'd totally buy this again especially during the summer.

12-29-2006 22:14:01 | More by mmcave
bigone4

Rhode Island

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a 22oz bottle. Dark amber color almost a dark ruby when back lit. Fluffy off-white cream colored head creating a mild lace down the glass. The head dissipated after a while. Smells of a nice malt sweetness. Mild tones of caramel and a light hop scent. Hints of a citrus scent hidden in the back ground. Nice nose with a very pleasant and distinct aroma. The taste was of a nice well rounded malt flavor up front. Roasted nutty malt flavors followed by a light sweetness on the tongue. Mild hop bitterness rounds out the well balanced flavor in the back of the mouth. This is a great full bodied brew. Great rolling flavor from start to finish. Very smooth and drinkable. Again another well crafted and tasty brew from Stone. I am glad to see that there beers make it to the other side of the US.

12-28-2006 14:58:21 | More by bigone4
bort11

Missouri

4.88/5  rDev +17%

With great thanks to SkinnyElvis for this one.

Shared with my wife over the celebration of the birth of my daughter, Sophia Grace.
22 oz bottle, poured into a tulip glass. Thick frothy head about a fingers width that receded to a mildly sticky lace. Color is a solid dark brown, just the slightest light penetrates around the edges of the glass.
Smell is mostly hoppy with a malt balance to it. Taste is exceptionally balanced between the hops and the malt. The hops hits you up front and then mellows out to a rich roasted malt. Mouthfeel is wonderfully full and creamy.
I wish Stone beers were available in Missouri. I would have this one hand all the time.

12-25-2006 05:58:40 | More by bort11
oakbluff

Manitoba (Canada)

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Appearance- deep red colour with a creamy white head. Smell is more sweet than hoppy which surprised me. Taste is a very balanced to me- the malts and hops are in synchronicity. I was expecting more of a hop blast- it may be that I have held on to this bottle too long and the hops has subsidided. No matter- still a classic west coast beverage. Or it the lack of hops could be due to my mouth being hammered into a submission by a Surly Furious a couple of hours earlier. Mouthfeel is rich with a medium to low carbonation. The head dissapated quite quickly in my pint glass. Overall- it would be a staple for me if I could just access it on a regular basis.

12-24-2006 20:07:02 | More by oakbluff
MiScusi

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%

22oz bottle acquired December '06.

I love this beer as a strong ale. A rich translucent brown in color, with a tan head, the smell that initially hits your nose is fresh floral hops and citrus aromatics. The taste is a caramel maltiness up front with a long lasting intense bitterness at the end. Fresh wet hops are present throughout. As it warms, caramel is much more apparent in the aroma, and the lingering bitterness is much less than I remember the very first time I had it. This might be a beer that some people have to get use to for a while.

12-23-2006 07:48:22 | More by MiScusi
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.