Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
1.8/5  rDev -56.7%

I didn't like the smell or the taste. It smelled very pine-hoppy and tasted likewise. This is the second time that I have tried Arrogant Bastard from the bottle. The first was prior to learning about beer styles and their characteristics so I figured that I should try it again. Maybe it is better from the tap if it is sold that way.

4.32/5  rDev +3.8%

A: Poured into a tumbler with a nice, dark red-brown color and good clarity(though as dark as it was). There's a decent amount of head, and it leaves plenty of lacing.

S: Fruity and hoppy with some malt in there, too. Tells of good things to come.

T: Maltiness for a split second, and then big grapefruit hops flavor that sticks around for awhile. This is very bitter, but in a good way. Celebrate the great taste by drinking more.

M: Medium bodied with a really nice texture. It has just the right amount of carbonation.

D: This probably depends on your tastes, but if you like more bitter and hoppy beers, this is definitely more balanced and easier to drink than most.

This is a brew, and a name, that'll I'll remember.

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

I figured this beer was named after Mike Hart, so I wasn't expecting much. However, the difference is this beer actually delivers.

Poured a rich copper color with a nearly white head.

The smell was rich with aromas from citrus fruits to toasty grains.

The flavor follows up with an even greater assortment of flavors. I don't know how they make a beer with such complex taste and avoid a food fight from all the ingredients. It starts with the toasted flavors, giving way to orange and lemon peels, and some mild pepper. There are hints of other fruits as well, such as Granny Smith apples. The finish is smoother, with caramel and some more bitter citrus flavors. Very intense taste yet still very refreshing.

I would expect such a complex brew to feel a bit harsh, but it's fairly smooth, and leaves a crisp aftertaste making you want more. I yield to this brews arrogance. I am not worthy.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 750ml glass into a giant beer mug. Decent, lingering head with foam rings on the inside of the glass.

Smelled reminiscent of grapefruit juice, and some awesome.

Taste was exceptional. Nice and bitter, the aftertaste hits you like a freight train. Very very citrus-y, it's a good thing I'm not a fizzy yellow beer drinking nancy with false pretenses, chumps.

Mouthfeel was a little rough, not gonna lie. This stuff isn't exactly what I'm used to.

The first beer that I wouldn't be able to drink all day long.

4.17/5  rDev +0.2%

The head on the Bastard was small. Body was clear and flat. A beautiful amber color.

It had an average, toasted malt smell. Heavy on the hops with some grapefruit in there. Light yeast.

On the palate, it had a medium body with slick texture and average carbonation. Long duration, a little sweet, some acidic-ness and really bitter.

Hopefully I was worthy of this one!

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a deep red, with a medium tan head. Smells of floral hops. The taste is very malty, with a strong bitterness to match. There seems to be not that much of a hop flavor though, most of the hops shine through in the bitterness. Reminds me of an English strong ale with more bitterness. Mouthfeel is rich, carbonation levels are low and smooth. A quite drinkable beer, that tastes fantastic. I really wish I could get this back in Oklahoma.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Very Nice strong ale. Enjoyed in my favorite pilsner glass. An appealing brew to the hearty beer lover.
A. Poured out a nice two finger head of cappucino colored froth that lasts the whole experience with faint but consistent lacing. Pretty reddish orange color almost crimson.
S. This was a hard one to pin down but hints of floral and citrus come to mind, a bit of sweetness that is more like sugar cane than cotton candy.
T. Robust hops and malt, almost felt I was taking a bite of the brew like a hunk of Squaw bread but more fruity hoppy tang as promised by the nose.
M. Refreshing and comforting to swirl across the palate with warm alcohol of warmness as it went down the gullet.
D. Very drinkable but not a session beer. I would not mind a couple of them over an early spring evening at home. A bit heavy but not as much as one might expect given its heartiness. Overall a good recommendation, but I still prefer the Stone Ruination IPA if I had to choose. Cheers!

2.54/5  rDev -38.9%

HOP CITY

A- A Clear deep red mahogany, copper color.

S- Smells of HOPS

T- HAs a long lasting after taste.

D- Very strong and distinct beer. This is the beer that turned me away from strong HOP beers.

guess i got drink if given again. but will not by ever

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Bomber into my trusty Alpine mug from the Moosehead brewery in Saint John, NB.

Cappucino foam-style 3-finger, latte-colored, sudsy head. Nice lacing. Lots of carbonation here - body is very clean, with a color that's somewhere between red brick, lava-lamp red and, for those Buffalonians out there, a slight tinge of Loganberry! WTF?! Looks a little more industrial-strength than expected, but a solid package nonetheless.

Aroma is soapy floral hops. That's pretty much what I'm picking up here. Not a bad thing.

The hops balance nicely in taste with alcohol and mellow, dark, caramel malt - maybe a little grassiness and sour cherries show up, too. Nice stuff.

Very clean on the mouth for a style - robust enough to sooth, tanginess from the hops and cherries for a little puckering sensation. Carbonation more present in appearance and does not detract from the mouthfeel at all.

This is probably a lot more drinkable than expected for the alcohol content. Has always been a favorite and still is. Extremely well done.

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

I have had this brew many times before, but I figured might as well get it down (as well as the other 1000+ reviewers)

A- A Clear deep red mahogany, copper color. An off white 3/4" head from a gentle pour. Left a decent amount of lacing clinging to the glass.

S- Smells of sweet roasted malts, with some alcohol heat, some piney hops at the end.

T- As on the smell, sweet roasted malts, well balanced with strong piney hops. There is some subtle caramel-toffee flavors, but definetly subtle compared to the strong piney hops. HAs a long lasting heat to it.

M- Full, heavy bodied, lots of carbonation.

D- Very strong and distinct beer, yet very drinkable. This is the beer that turned me into a craft beer enthusiast, so it will always hold a special place in my liver.

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

22 oz into bicentennial Mason jar.

A: Nice 3 finger tan head. Beer is a molasses hue with good clarity. Awesome lacing.

S: Whatever hops they use in this beer I think are my favorite. Hop smell like clover and oranges. I love the way this beer smells.

T: Hop pop. These hops remind me of beeswax flavored with orange zest. I've noticed this flavor in a few other beers that I've had. It fits nicely you should try it on. Fresh clover, when I was a wee lad I used to pick clover and pull out the purple tops of the blossom and suckle the white ends of them for the nectar. This beer reminds me of the flavor, and I think that's pretty amazing. Today I didn't give her a five because its a bit bitter for me. But this is one of the best beers in the world in my opinion.

M: Medium bodied. Very nice for the flavor.

D: A pretty strong ale but its really good. Try one on today.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance - Poured a very deep amber with about a 2 finger head that started to dissipate after a few sips. Some of the head clung to the side of the glass and a light layer stayed on top.

Smell - Caught a little sweetness among the aromas, a little caramel, but mostly smelled the hops, slightly sour.

Taste - Initial taste on my tongue was the strong taste of the hops, bitter, but they faded to a sweet, slightly chocolate, smoky finish on the back end that lingers long after it has gone down.

Mouthfeel - I wouldn't call it incredibly heavy but it's definitely on the mid to heavy end of the spectrum. Pretty smooth going down considering how aggressive (as it says on the bottle) this beer is.

Drinkability - Definitely not a beer for people unaccustomed to the style. It is strong and full of flavor but an excellent beer. Not the easiest to have multiple bottles of because it only comes in 22oz servings.

This is a great beer, as most Stone beers that I've had have proven to be. The 7.2% ABV doesn't really show through much at all. Definitely something that I try and always have on hand in my fridge.

A: Pours a dark brown body with a one inch, tan head. Excellent retention until the finish of the beer with solid lacing along the sides of the glass.

S: Smells like sweet grapefruit with some bitter, floral undertones.

T: A strong, hop taste with a sweet, dry grapefruit aftertaste. Slightly bitter, but balanced out by the sweet, grapefruit taste.

M: Fairly full-bodied and smooth. A little thin, but overall, still nice and smooth.

D: Definitely a drinkable beer. An excellent balance of hops and malts. The hops are more evident in the beginning, but become much more balanced out towards the finish.

3.13/5  rDev -24.8%

Pour is reddish brown with a light head. Smell is malty sweetness, with some hops showing through. Taste is sweet but not overly at all, followed by a mild drying hop finish. Thich, and rich for the style, while flavors are somewhat mild actually. Nice bitterness at first, but it turned medicinal and aspirin tablet-like a bit. Not bad, but wasn't too crazy about it either.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured the bomber bottle into a pint glass and was presented with a 2-finger head that was very foamy and died slowly, leaving little lacings on top of a seethru ruby brown body. The smell was very hoppy and some malt characters were noticeable, and I picked up some earth tones. The smells are mostly strong and pointed also, not weak hints.
To me, as hoppy as Stone Brewing likes to make their beers this was very malty. You will notice the hops and some of the alcohol (it is 7.2% ABV) in the backbite, but it still remains a heavy body that goes down smooth. However, the driving force behind this brew is the mixture of coffee, roasted, chocolate and toffee malts that blend well together. I might be missing one or adding one, but this is somewhat strong stout tasting, malt wise, balanced with hops for a strong, dry finish that keeps you wanting more.
One of the few ales with a "higher-than-session" ABV that had me continually tilting my glass and I could've kept pounding these bad boys. The fact that they're $4 or $5 at grocery stores only adds to this beer.
The label's right - not for beer wimps.

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

It's been a while since I had any of this. Seems I forgot what a pleasure it is. Pours a beautiful deep mahogany with a creamy off white head that dissipates slowly leaving a nice foamy cap and modest lacing.

Fairly balanced nose of caramel malt and hops.

Taste is impressive with a smooth malt profile intermingled with the hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium to full and very smooth, a lush and easy drinking brew.

3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

Not the best beer I have had of this style but not bad either. Appearence dark amber almost reddish brown in color. Smell sweet malt floral and cirtus hop notes. Taste sweet caramel malt hint of molassess nice bitter finish citrius and grapefruitie. Mouthfeel thick with mediem carbonation. Drinkability ok this is a once in a while beer.

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Not my favorite from Stone, but a damn fine beer.

Pours a reddish amber. Smells like caramel malt, citrus/grapefruit, and pine hops. The taste is mostly caramel malt with a real pine hop background. The citrus is much more biting than I'm used to from ales of this type.

Nice thick mouthfeel. For some reason, I've just never appreciated this beer as much as I should. I always find myself grabbing the oaked version, double bastard, or ruination instead. Solid, pleasing product.

4.16/5  rDev 0%

22oz bomber into my Arrogant Bastard pint glass.

A: Super dark reddish brown color. Really different than most beers. Some lacing.

S: Lots of sweet malt. Molasses. Aroma hops and some floral hops as well.

T:Almost old ale like.Tea. Some raisins in the finish.

M:Thick medium body. Coats your mouth. Lightly carbonated.

D: Very light feeling and drinking for the ABV. Great beer that you can enjoy year round.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

A: A nice dark amber color that looks delicious. A solid inch of head that is sticking around quite nicely.

S: Very hoppy up front which is getting me very excited to try this. Slight spiciness is creeping up into my nose as well.

T: Yum. As hoppy tasting as it is smelling. Very delicious and strong up front, and mellows quickly with a bit of bitterness. A nice strong beer that would be great with a solid steak.

M: Not as heavy of a beer for it's taste. Sits with nice carbonation on the tongue.

D: You can't drink these all night, but I would definitely drink this on a regular basis.

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

I had heard alot about this beer from some of my buddies and said I had to try it if I liked flavorful beers. It certainly did not disappoint.

The beer poured a deep amber, reddish color with nice head the faded slowly and left a nice lacing down the glass.

The smell of hops was evident along with a slight sweetness. There is a fruitiness that comes through as well.

The taste is bold to say the least. The first thing that hit me was the almost overwhelming sense of hops but it transforms into a slightly sweet caramel flavor. As you drink it the hops tone seems to dissapate a little to let you get some of the more delicate undertones that are missed on the first drink.

This is a lightly carbonated and feels rich in your mouth. Very smooth and gets smoother as you drink it.

Definitely lives up to its warning that this is not for the carbonated macro brew drinkers. This will definitely be something I get again and again.

4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The label is funny, issuing a tongue-in-cheek challenge to drinkers to dare to declare themselves worthy of such a product. Upon trying it, I have to say that this beer holds up its end of the bargain. Much to discuss.

Two fingers of tan froth top a copper body with crimson tinges that's very easy on the eye. The smell brings loads of caramel to the nose, but is sufficiently complex to allow for fruit to present itself. Combined with the malt, this continues to please.

As does the taste, Arrogant Bastard sends the message that it means business. The caramel is very pleasant, but not too sweet, and combines with the fruit very nicely. I was surprised at the rather dry aftertaste, which doesn't go well with the rest in my humble opinion. Yet this is a very good and worthy brew, more than worth trying but worth its weight in gravitas. This beer has nerve and lives up to its braggadoccio. Well done.

3.89/5  rDev -6.5%

A fantastic dark crimson in color with a generour head and sticky lacing. This head isnt budging,,its here to stay.
Smells deep, malty, nots of caramel, bread and munich. Slight metalic note as well.
Taste is very full and slick. Great mouthfeel.
Malty notes balanced with an almost harsh bitterness.
Very good beer.

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

A while back, I had sampled Stone's Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale, and really enjoyed the extreme flavor... the brewery's original ale is just as good, if not better, in my opinion... absolutely amazing dark-copper, prune-colored appearance with a gigantic frothy and foamy head that almost obliterated my drinking glass... smell was replete with caramel and bitter hops along with a tinge of vanilla... strange how the taste strongly complemented the aroma with honey flavors, caramel, strong hops, bitter florals, and slight vanilla... the flavor is truly extreme, aggressive and dominating... the strong ale flavored is extremely loaded with hops and a strong taste that completely dominates the pallate and doesn't let go... this has to be one of the most dominating and extreme American brews... definitely not for the faint-of-heart... really thick and rich stuff... if you like stronger, full-flavored beers, this one is definitely recommended...

4.07/5  rDev -2.2%

My Aunt and Uncle were nice enough to send this to me, just got it in the mail. Couldn't wait any longer. Into the snifter..

A - Not much in the way of head, but dark rich amber body is nice.

S - Just a ton of west coast hops. Vanilla, pine, slight citrus, it's all here. Complex? no, Enjoyable? Yes...

T - A text book American Strong Ale. Sweet caramel upon entry. Lightly sweet flavor hops that fall into good bittering hops follow. Again, not the most complex beer I've ever had, some interesting fruit notes towards the swallow, but very enjoyable.

M - Full, enjoyable, no complaints again.

D - This goes down so well. Very drinkable. This is not the greatest American Strong I've ever had, but it is a gold standard for the style. Solid.

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.