Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.6/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

yes! this is the reason i came back to the states for a visit!

dark, DARK amber, pretty gem-like clear despite the bottle conditioning. awesome head and lacing.

great citrusy, fruity, piney hop aroma, almost perfume-like. hint of toasted malts.

hearty, malty flavor, with a nice strong kick of hops. really well balanced and amazingly smooth. i just can't get enough of this!

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Had this beer on tap at Goodnight Irene's in Wildwood, NJ.

A- Deep, Cloudy copper. 1 Finger of light tan head. Some of the best lacing I've seen.

S- Sweet malt, hints of caramel. Some citrusy hops mixed in as well.

T- Sweet malty beginning. Caramel and bready. Finishes is full of hops. Citrus and pine. Also had some alcohol in the finish as the beer warmed.

M- Medium to full bodied. Alcohol warmth as teh beer warmed a bit.

D- I really liked this beer and would definitely drink it again. It was full of flavor which I drank a savored slowly. I can see the alcohol sneaking up on you after a few.

4.67/5  rDev +12.3%

This is an awesome beer. It pours a nice amber color from the bottle with a nice lacy thick tan colored head. The aroma is of roasted malts and great flowery hoppy aroma. The taste is excellent! The malts come through as the base and the hoppy bitterness follows through to the end. The mouthfeel is excellent and it is velvety especially for a beer of this gravity. The drinkability is excellent. I could drink alot of these if I could. This beer is awesome, pick it up if you can.

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap, at The Graduate in Chico.

A - Dark copper-red, but with several different shades in the pour ranging from brown to light red. Medium off-white head with slight lacing.

S - Earthy, floral, and pine hops with slight maltiness.

T - Floral hops just burst out and tease the palate with a nice finish of malts.

M - Excellent. Refreshing. The second wave from the malts just soothes and balances the slight bitterness from the hops.

D - Could drink several, but wished it was more of a session style. Just very refreshing for a stronger ale.

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%

L: The beer itself is a dark ruby red brown color. A very thick two finger off white head.
S:A very light caramel smell. I am also picking up just a slight molasses. How can I tell between caramel and molasses, I don't know but it seems pretty obvious in this beers smell.
T:A brown sugar taste right off the bat. Just a light cherry covered in vanilla follows.
M:Big fat full and round fills my mouth
D: Very cool beer, definitely one worth trying.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Spur of the moment went to Spec's and picked it up...friend liked it so had to try it. Dark brown in color with a smell that resembles flowers. Taste is almost similar to an IPA and also goes down real smooth. Overall i would definately recommend this beer to other people.

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

I poured a capped bottle into a large chilled mug.

A: It poured a ruddy brown with ruby hues and a sticky two finger tank head consisting of varied sized bubbles. The thick head lingered and left a dense curtain.

S: There were rich aromas of floral hops and sweet lightly roasted malts that gave of ripe fruit odors and hints of brown sugar.

T: There was the signature Stone balance profile of hops and malts. The malts present a nice sweet front that gives way to a moderately bitter back. despite a healthy ABV the finish is bitter with hints of malty sweetness.

M: It was smooth and creamy with a moderate body and bitter aftertaste that does not inhibit the next sip.

D: It was a bit over hopped and bitter for my taste but great craftsmanship is hard to hide...this is a well put together brew that merits great respect. I doubt it will be a longterm resident of my stash but I will never turn it away from my lips.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Time for an official review of Stone's flagship beer.
A- Pours a clear dark ruby/brown hue, head is an off-white layer of suds-like foam that mostly sustains, swaths of lace one the glass
S- Nose is caramel malts with grass/pine hops and alcohol
T- Initial taste is dominated by bitter dry hops which persist throughout, sweet caramel in the middle is followed up by a warming alcohol finish
M- Medium-bodied, watery texture, mild carbonation
D- Ah, I remember the day when AB was too strong for my delicate palate, now I find it smooth, balanced, and honestly, easy-to-drink; i usually have access to various forms of AB and other Stone special releases, so I am rarely going out of my way for the regular old AB, but it is still delicious!

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

One of my favorite beers ever. Pours a beautiful reddish brown hue with a 1/2" tan head. Quickly fades to a small ring of bubbles. Slight amount of lacing on the glass..

Aromas are grassy hops with sweet malts in the background. Also a woody scent. Hint of the alcohol.

The taste is great. Very bitter and hoppy with enough malt to backbone to hold it all together. Hops are piney and also citrus. A slight chalky aftertaste, and very dry.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Drinkability is good. This is my stand by and one of the first beers that got me into craft brewing.

4.26/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Deep amber with a smallish cream colored head with decent retention. Awesome lacing, practically a sheet down the entire glass, even with the smaller head.

Lighter than expected aroma with caramel, toasted malts, and citrus hops.

Starts nice and malty with caramel, toasted bread, and biscuit flavors. Hops overtake the malt with a big dose of pine, cirtus, and lots of grapefruit. Hops are not harsh, and this beer has great complexity and depth of flavor. I really enjoy how it starts malty and fades to hoppy. Finishes dry with lingering alcohol spice.

Medium in body, rich, smooth, and chewy. Very drinkable - aggressive, but complex and smooth enough to have a couple in a sitting. Great beer.

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from the trademark 22oz bottle, this gives a nice head which lingers and a deep amber color with brownish overtones.
Smells hoppy & malty sweet. The taste is hoppy & bitter, as I expect from a California ale, but not overly so...as in a Sierra Nevada product (which for me is almost undrinkable).
There is an underlying sweetness to the finish, which resembles apples & pears...and somewhat acidic as such. It's also spicy like the food region from which it originates. Some caramel & cinnamon going on here too.
I can see why this ale is so popular, there are alot of different flavors going on...the bitter, sweet & spicy all complement each other.
I'll definitely buy this label again.

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Finally got a chance to try an Arrogant Bastard while I was in DC this past week. Definitely lived up to its billing.

A= Deep brown body with a taupe, creamy head. Served from tap into a snifter of sorts.

S= Creamy goodness. Hints of caramel, mild alcohol aroma with a hop spicyness

T= Just plain excellent! Smooth and creamy with a burnt caramel taste and a punch of hops. You can feel the booze, but it's not in your face like you'd think. Well balanced by the malt.

M= smooth and comforting, lingers for awhile

Overall, this is a quality ale. Would definitely recommend tipping this one back. I was much impressed with this Stone offering, as it clearly lived up to the hype.

4.37/5  rDev +5%

No freshness info.

Stone's label are always great, but this may be my favorite:
A menacing gargoyle holds a pint on the front and on the back:

"Arrogant bastard Ale: This is an aggressive beer. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory --- maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it's made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beer will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make a beer taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing words as you read this."

Perfect beer for my BA Initiation.

a: Deep and hazy reddish brown body, cream colored head and excellent lacing.

s: Caramel toasted malt makes an appearance, but the aroma is mainly hops.

t: Biscuity malts are noticeable but are quickly swept aside as the hops takeover. Great depth of flavor. The hops are raw and display notes of pine, citrus, and flowers.

m: A rich, sticky, chewy beer, though the body isn't too full. Good carbonation. Wraps itself around your tongue and invades your taste buds, don't think I'll be tasting my diner tonight.

d: Its a great beer, but being the arrogant SOB that it is, I wouldn't want to mess with more than one.
Terrific depth, both the hops and malt show up big.
I really wish Stone distributed here in Missouri, but I guess those of us out here in Anheuser-Busch country aren't worthy.

RB

22oz from the Coop for about $4.50.. shared with Brenda, mine from my New Belgium goblet.

Huge 2" tan head that came out of the glass and left behind beautiful lacing. The brew looks walnut brown until held to a light revealing deep cherry red... pretty for sure.

Aroma is a good balance between American hops and caramel and toasted malts... some fruitiness.. more refined than previous years notes reveal.

Full flavored obviously.. citrus and pine hops shine but are shadowed perfectly buy the big malt flavors... bitterness is less that remembered but still very nice. Leans toward the sweet side with caramel and toasty malts... a touch of milk chocolate is highlted by the sorta creamy mouthfeel. Big and brash across the board..

AB leaves nothing to guess... it is Big. It is a beer I unfortunately always overlook/take for granted... I really should buy it more often... but the rational side of me always says "the AB will always be here.. try something different." I will make an honest effort to enjoy it more often.... too often, other beers leave you wondering what if the upped the malts/hops/alcohol ... ETC. AB leaves nothing to guess.... that being said, personally I prefer its bigger brother.

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Review copied from previous notes:

I really remember enjoying this one. I may need to make an occasion to re-visit this beer.

A - Some head. Dark in color. Ruby in color and crisp in appearance.

S - Sweet and fresh hops, floral scent. This is all about the hops!

T - Bitterness at the top of your throat. Big hops presence. Fresh is the best to describe it.

M - Light to medium body. Noticeably carbonated, but not too much.

D - This beer is all about hops. Quite nice IMO!

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

A- Good appearance. Pours a nice looking dark red with a dark tan one finger head. Head stays a while.

S- Dominated by hops. Hops hops and more hops. Definative citrus taste to it.

T- Drinks like an IPA. Hops dominate, clear citrus taste to it with some taste of alcohol.

M- Okay mouthfeel, medium body, with a slight bite of the alcohol.

D- This is hurt because of the hoppy bitterness to it. Alcohol also hurts it as well. But a beer that is definately worth a second try.

4.62/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hmmmm. I've had this beer a few times before and I have always enjoyed it, but tonight its just not as aggressive as I remember it. Still very good, but not as insanely hoppy as I thought it was.

Appearance is a nice dark brown almost reddish color with a huge three finger head. It smells great with a strong hoppy, floral and sweet aroma. This ale is clean and fresh tasting with plenty of hops, however there is less residual bitterness than in Stone IPA. The hoppy freshness is balanced with some malty sweetness and hints of toastiness. There is some fruity (perhaps grapefruit rind?) taste mixed in there as well. While there is a significant hoppy character to this brew, it is a delicious beer I could drink often. There is no need to be intimidated by the label or the name, if you enjoy Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or Liberty Ale you will probably like this one as well. Cheers!

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Picked up the pint bottle tonight...I was going to wait on this one for a special occasion but I just can't resist.

A: Pours a cloudy, dark orange-amber with a two finger width orange-tan head. Excellent head retention with good lacing.

S: Mild, citrus and hops.

T: Very bitter, lots of hops flavors, but a pleasant sweet citrus finish and aftertaste. Definitely some alcohol flavor present as well. Not as aggressive as the back of the bottle would suggest. I throughly enjoyed it.

M: Perfect. Carbonation is right on. Not watered down but not too thick for an ale.

D: The only thing keeping this from being one of my go-to brews is that here in Michigan the price is pretty steep at $4.29 a pint. But you're definitely paying for quality. I will definitely be getting one of these every few weeks or so.

4.54/5  rDev +9.1%

I FINALLY came to my senses to try the Arrogant Bastard in which my buddy talked me into...

I want to first start off by saying the smack talk on the bottle was a little annoying and made me think it was a queer gimmick or something. Also, and I had to laugh but the bottle decorations are embedded with "cadmium" which is highly TOXIC!! It should be called Dumb Ass Bastard!! Any-who...

A - Pours a dark robust amber with a thick head that lasted...

S - Rich malt with strong hop presents. The strong combination made this really make a statement. Floral grains were abundant with light citrus background notes.

T - Very Piney up front with pungent hop overtones. Sort of classic comparisons to traditional ESB's but a bit tangier than most. Very nice follow with a malty finish.

M - Full bodied and a bit sticky on the palette. Not a clean finish but very tasty, almost like a meal within itself.

D - Very respectable brew, I'll look for this one more often. My buddy said it was an extreme but not so much for me.

I will be visiting the "Bastard" again soon, I just might wear gloves the next time I handle the bottle.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Picked up while at home.

A - lovely red-brown, nice head

S - citrus, hoppy, malty/sweet

T - woo nice bitterness/hoppiness, bit of sweetness which comes through, really nice

M - medium bodied, not too much carbonation, finishes nicely and leaves an enjoyable aftertaste

D - pretty good, I really like this beer (I like the IPA even more) and wish Stone sold more of their stuff in Texas or at all in Georgia. I'd definitely enjoy this more often if I could buy it where I lived! Get in GA, Stone! Anyway, pick it up if you can.

3.77/5  rDev -9.4%

A murky brown, reddish beer with lots of carbonation and a creamy head that collapses almost immediately.

Smell is strong malty with some smoke and a good dose of alcohol. The hops are abundant and are citric and resinous.

Taste is strong bitter with citric hops that show a bit rough edges. Maltiness is not as strong as the smell would make me suspect, but it still is heavy on the malt. The alcohol is warming and mouthfeel is sweet and a little thick.

4.44/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a clear ruby with a thick cream-colored head. Besides general beeriness, pungent aromas of pineapple, red fruit and a touch of pine are evident. Initial tasting gives as impression of a big malty ale with a touch of booziness and toastiness and apple. Definitely on the richer side, but dry enough to avoid being cloying, and with the hop flavour to stave off too heavy a maltiness.

I think this achieves a nice balance between maltiness and hops, and is no doubt quite a bit bitterer (objectively) than the impression it gives. Quite drinkable for such a big beer. I think the two strong points of this one are balance and nose.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A 22oz bomber with a pretty hidden Enjoy By date printed directly below the label, only visible with condensation on the bottle.

A - Deep, deep dark reddish amber. An aggressive pour left a 2 finger creamy light-tan head lasting with some good lace all around.

S - Bright hops, fresh. Full sweetness of pineapple, pear, and some yeast. A pretty tame and soft nose for the experience to come.

T - Intensely bitter from start to finish, masking the apparent complexity of the beer. By about the 8th sip my mouth is acclimated to the bitterness, becoming somewhat numb to the intensity, revealing a very appealing and tasty ale. Some hints of pine are met with fruity grapefruit and raspberry tartness, along with a surprising amount of roasted malt, somewhat dry and dark. the intense hops keep it bright with a lot of depth, accomplished with very little sweetness. It's now 2 minutes after my last sip and I'm still discovering flavors I hadn't noticed before.

M - Complex - slightly dry with a hoppy oil feel. Fairly medium bodied, difficult to discern from the bitterness.

D - Okay. So complex it becomes intriguing. This is one elusive beer, hiding itself beneath folds of hop and bitterness. It leaves much to discover, but will certainly turn off those who are weak of palate and cannot handle the intensity.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a cherry brown with a lingering massive head that leaves a fair amount of lace on the way down. Nose at first seemed like blueberries, but calmed down after a minute. Taste is massively complex and thorough. Sweet edge follows a burst of hop flavor with a deep almost oaky presence, which turns into what I want to say is a slight alcohol presence on the end. Not for the faint of heart, or palate. This beer is complex and lacks mercy for those who are immature in beer.

4.62/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Best of class. Still uncertain what the class is! Dark Double IPA??? American Strong Ale I guess!

Certainly one that should be mandatory for all IPA lovers to try.

Big Complex beer, I highly recommend having one of these on an empty stomach BEFORE dinner. You will then appreciate all of what it has to offer. Drinking with a meal would just be too complex! :)

This brewery continues to amaze me. Need to visit it someday.

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.