Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev +7%

Picked up a tall bottle of ABA at a little gas station outside of Abiquiu, New Mexico (near ghost ranch). Best part: only $3.50.

Pours a cola-colored ale with a frothy, light tan head that retains well and leaves sticky, layered lacing. An intricate aroma ensues, comprised of sage hops blended with spice, lemon, vanilla, and a touch of malt. Truly exquisite.

Taste is of bitter, ascerbic hops with some coffee, roasted nut, and an alcoholic note to boot. Mouthfeel is definately not shy about its bitterness, as it attacks the back of the palate sans remorse. Some might consider it a bit overwheming in relation to the taste, but it's still enjoyable. Finishing remarks: Big aroma. Big taste. Big beer. Definately not to be taken lightly, but nonetheless an enjoyable drink.

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

Drank on 5/24, from notes
"Drink by" date of 5/09/07, hence some poor marks (perhaps?)
Pours a beautiful dark caramel color, some nice ruby highlights. Fairly clear but with a slight cloudiness; tons of big bubble dirty white head.
In the nose it was rich and toasty, sweet caramel malts. Surprisingly, hops were not dominant and even hard to notice but a little spruce and pine were noted, overall the alcohol was quite noticeable, giving it a barleywine feel.
In the mouth it starts off big, but unfocused. Some dark ripe fruits are there like plum and raisin, but its vague, stale, old flavors are very dissapointing. Despite it being passed its prime (date), I imaginged a high alcohol would have preserved its flavor better (maybe the store's storage was poor). There is an okay hop bitter finish, but nothing to write home about. Mouthfeel couldn't make up for its flavor being syrupy ; it had a "big" body but it also finished thin and watery. Drinkability suffers for it just being so unfocused and boring, but I still wonder if it's just its age coming through?

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

Out of a painted-label bomber into a few glasses to split with my brothers, we have a hazy, orangy brown brew with a nice thick head. Looks appealing. The aroma wasn't too huge, mostly sweet and syrupy. Lots of punch upon tasting it, though - caramel, a little ripened berry, alcohol (but not much), and a very hoppy finish with a lingering aftertaste. Really nice in the mouth, all creamy and smooth, well carbonated. A serious beer, but quite consumable.

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

This is a great hop ale

poured from a 750 ml

Pours a nice amber with red tones with a whitish head that stays for a little bit.

has a nice strong hop smell, cascade i would guess, but idk, slight malt but mostly delicious hop,

has a great hop taste that mainly sticks around, it comes on a little slower than stone IPA or ruination but it is a great stron hop taste.

a nice lightly carbonated mouthfeel medium type body with a nice smoothness

This is a great ale i would drink over and over

3.18/5  rDev -23.6%

Comes out of the bottle a dark hazy brown. Has a very good malt colored head with average retention. Smell is hoppy and malty at the same time. The first thing I taste is lots of malt followed by lots of hop. A very hop bitter beer. I think it needs something else. I like Stone IPA much better. (Why does only California know that cadmium can cause birth defects).

Had this last night on tap at Toronado where they were featuring Stone beers. At first look it was a deep Amber but holding up to the light you see it is a brilliant red. Not much head and lacing. Very aromatic hops which led me to believe that the hops would overpower in the taste. However, this was not so. Definitely hop forward but with refinement. Other brewers should take note. Good balance in the mouthfeel - refreshing yet substance. As I've stated before, I'm not much of a hop ale drinker but I did enjoy this.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Reddish brown, short head fell to thin lace quickly. fatastic lace though

S-Green hops, bisuit and carmel malt, citrus hops,

T-Green hopsfrom opening to beyond the midlle this is quite bitter. Malts, carmel biscuit a little molasses and even some toasted flavors cm=ome through. Long bitter finish

M0Smooth creamy, nice mild carbonation

D-very good I could have several of these

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured from bomber into pint glass.

A- Nice mahogany color with a oatmeal colored head.

S- Beautiful malt and hoppy nose. I find that I experienced different levels of both at different points in the sample. I did not know what I was going to smell next.

T- The hoppy taste started early, but the malt taste took over soon and I enjoyed it.

M- This beer had a smoothness both in mouthfeel and delivery. The alcohol nature came more to the front as the sample warmed.

D- This beer is very drinkable as it has for probably most of the people who have tasted it. Not a beer that I want to drink all night, but would not mind spliting a couple of bomber of this with a friend next time.

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

One of the beers in a trade with Nathan15.

Beer pours a nice reddish hue with ample head. Aroma is very strong and malty, even hoppy.You can easily tell that this one is gonna be a slobberknocker. The taste starts out all innocent and malty but once it hits the back of the throat, the alcohol comes into play, leaving a nice but dry aftertaste. However, I detected a hint of raisin in the beer, if not much.

Strong, malty and definitely not like anything I've had from around this area. I can easily see why beers from the Stone Brewing Company are held in such high regard. I especially like the aftertaste it leaves. Very good!

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

A- Deep brown with half a glass of tight head that settles very slowly and leaves a sheet of lace down the side of the glass. Amazing.

S- Rich malt and molasses up front, with some spicy, piney hops to balance. Lovely aroma, fits within style.

T- Sweet, rich malt flavor to savor, then as you swallow, very strong bitter hops jump out and hang on to the back of your tongue for fear of sliding into the black abyss. Quite strong on both hops and malt, but well-balanced... Like double espresso with so much sugar that they almost equal out.

M- Smooth and chewy, almost oily. Thick and wonderful, medium low carbonation and a lingering astringency that dries out your throat, making you want to take another gulp.

D- Because of the balance, the drinkability is pretty good, but because of how strong it is... you must be a glutton for intensity to have more than one bomber.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Pours a deep mahogany red with a soapy tan head. Smells malty, caramel, with some piney hops. There's a lot going on in this brew, hops are everywhere, the malt is a good backing. Dark fruits, piney hops, toasty caramel hops, and a bit of warming alcohol. Delicious, it all balances out and, although coming up as an in your face brew, tastes great. Syrupy, light carbonation. I wish this was available here, thanks to OstrungT for the trade

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

a nice deep reddish beer in appearance with a tense foamy heavy head that let herself dissapeared by itself.

Smell is malty caramel, heavy hops, fruity, and shy spiceness.

Taste: quite light I was surprised actually since most Stone's product I had my hands on, were quite rich and extreme beers. Full, complex, at first the hops come in to tickle your palate followed by a sweet caramel and chocolate flavours of the malt.

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Arrogant bastard pours a clear deep red with a nice thick head. Taste is bitter upfront, and lastingly bitter. The hops are citrusy, piney and herbal. Behind the huge hops hides a delicious malt character, sweet dark fruits mixed with tropical fruits. This is one great beer, brutal and offensive, but in a good way. I know some may consider it not respecting beer, but I like this one out of the bottle as well as in the glass, I find I taste the delicious maltiness more.

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I drank a bomber of this to celebrate passing my dissertation defense. I figured that now I've got the Ph.D., I can act like an arrogant bastard, and should therefore drink accordingly.

I've heard a lot about this beer, so I was excited to try it. I eventually drank the whole 22 oz by myself. Pours a delicious reddish-brown, nice and clear, with a thin, off-white head. Very good retention, some lacing on the pint glass. Smells and tastes of toasted malts, caramel, toffee, nuts. I thought this was a strong, chewy Brown Ale at first. Good balance with some mild hops. A bit of warming alcohol. Excellent mouthfeel for the decently thick flavors - I think this was spot-on; I've had far too many watered-down "Strong" Ales. Overall, an exceptional beer. Great body, wonderful balance of flavors, all the elements work together to make this a highly drinkable beer. I can see why so many people consider this a standard in the American craft beer repertoire.

4.45/5  rDev +7%

Had this beer on my 1st night in Oregon.

In the glass from the waitress at the little jazz club, Jimmy Macks. Dark brown, but not brown ale. Just an IPA color with some malt. Looked like a winner right away.

Smelled like a winner. Nice malts, no sucker punches, american goodness. Hops were there, but nothing to cringe about.

First sip...Holy Fuck!!! This beer is worth writing home to my mother about. Arrogant Bastard has it all. Delicious malts, like caramel and honey. Delicious hops like grapefruit and earth. This thing is a beast, but not an evil arrogant beast. More in the vain of...I taste delicate and complex and I WILL MAKE YOU PLAY WU TANG on the jukebox and make an ass out of yourself. This beer jams, you should drink it!

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

Dark copper with huge rocky head.

Plum, apricot, pine needles, and caramel aromas.

Complex doesn't do this beer justice. Toffee, plum, apricot, roasted malt, grapefruit, black cherry, pine, grapefruit and black pepper flavors all come to mind. Hop foward. Harsh bitterness(in a very good way).

Smooth mouthfeel with perfect carbonation. One of my all time favorites. Complex and drinkable.

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

I got this beer on a vacation to Gatlinburg. I bought two bombers and polished them off while in the mountains.

This pours a beautiful looking beer. I poured it into my travel pint glass (clear acrylic cup) to enjoy. Pours a reddish-copper with a thick sticky head that laces the glass and sticks to everything. The aroma was all hops with very little malt sweetness. Taste was at first shockingly hoppy but the malt came through as the beer had time to warm. To me the second cup from the bomber was better than the first as I allowed the beer to warm on the counter while I drank the first serving. Very heavy in the mouth and the head added some creaminess.

A bit too high in alcohol and too harsh on the front end to be very drinkable.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

When I first tried this beer, I "wasn't worthy". Now that I am a little further into my beer drinking career, I think I am worthy, and I don't think I gave this beer a fair shot when I first had it. This is a complex brew with tons of flavor.

Poured in a New Belgium tulip-like, snifter-ish glass.

Appearance - Dark translucent copper red with a 2 finger head. The head dissipated fairly quickly.

Smell - Citrus and pine.

Taste - The hops kicks you in the face first, and the malt seduces you at the middle and the end. And then the hops kicks you again. Very balanced, big flavor.

Mouthfeel - Near perfect carbonation. Medium bodied.

Drinkability - Good. I personally wouldn't drink more than one bomber in an evening, but to each his own.

There is a lot of hype behind this beer, and to some people that is a bad thing. It is definitely a good brew. I have had other beers that don't live up to the hype. I think this one does. Plus it is a great value at 3.99$ a bomber (thank you Grapevine Market), especially with the 7.2 ABV. Try it if you haven't. I am definitely going to have another...

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

A- A clear, dark ruby liquid pours from the glass. A little bit of orange highlights around the edges. A thick, off-white head forms and maintains itself for quite some time.

S- Massive citrus, especially grapefruit. Some pineapple and some pine. This thing is pungent! Kind of sweet smelling.

T- Same as the smell but more intense. Very hoppy with a great malt backing. This is a serious beer.

M- A good amount of carbonation. Not astringent or cloying. Well done.

D- This beer will mess you up. If you are in the mood for something big, this will quench your thirst. If you are not in the mood for a monster, wait for another day though.

3.3/5  rDev -20.7%

Dark red in color with little visability. A very foamy tan head about 3 fingers thick. Appears quite tasty.

Nice hoppy scent with some decent citrusy aromas to it. Possibly a slight kick of alcohol in the smell as well.

Very strong bitter taste to it. A bit to strong to my liking. And contrary to the label I do not prefer a beer with a million dollar ad campaign. Quite the alcoholic bite to this beer. Very overpowering with the hops coming in through the center of the tasting.

A bit on the heavy side but not incredibly hard to drink. This is a good beer but a bit to strong for my personal tastes. I could not have more than one in quite some time.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a hazy orangish copper with a thick, creamy and very well-retained light tan head. Hops and caramel with some malt fruitiness in the aroma. The palate features loads of bready malt sweetness (with a firm toasted note), but it’s exceedingly well-balanced by a fairly intense hop spice and bright, rich citrusy hop flavor. Some malty fruitiness (orange?) is in there in well.

Did a side-by-side comparison of this one with the oaked version: Arrogant Bastard is slightly richer, with a better balance, while the Oaked AB is a bit smoother, more refined and slightly more complex. Both were equally enjoyable and very drinkable, especially considering how rich they are.

Anyway, recommended…

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber.

Pours a brown with reddish/orange mixed in. thick, huge, light brown head that lasts very long. Lots of carbonation seen rising. Very nice to look at.

Aroma is sweet [honey], malts, hops and a woody undertone.

Taste is of sweet malts and hops. Definite hops bitterness, but not overpowering [I'm not a hophead, so this was great for me]. Very nicely balanced.

Mouthfeel had a medium body, dry, smooth and cleansing.

Overall, a very drinkable beer. Good session beer....even with the high ABV. I was really very, very surprised [in a good way]. Definitely want some more of this one.

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

A- Nice deep red/amber body with thick creamy head.

S- very malty with hints of hops. I thought the smell was rather pungent.

T- I had a bomber of this and everytime I sipped I noticed something different. There was obviously a hoppy finish that remained on the palate. The hops all together were good but the aftertaste was a bit unpleasant. There are subtle hints of dark fruit and chocolate and of course a nice malt backing. What I liked the best about this brew was a nice spicy flavor that lasts thrroughout it. Carmel can be noticed when there is a great length between sips.

M- well done. medium carbonation and medium weight body. Feels good in the mouth.

D- it was different. Not an everyday thing for me. One bomber is enough for at least the next month.

This beer is above average overall-but a little bit over hyped. There are hoppier, more complex, not for the "faint of heart" brews out there. This just didn't live up to my expectations. I will probably have it again. I do not hate it nor am I in love with it.

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my specialty arrogant bastard glass, pours an amazing amber rustic color with a fluffy head that leaves heavy lace on the glass and stays the entire time, little carbonation bubbles float through this wonder looking ale. Smell is a bit citrusy hoppy smelling also has a bit of an earthy smell to it as well. Taste is a well balanced masterpiece of a bit of hop bitterness followed by bark, with a bit of a roasted malt and barley aftertaste, also a bit of grapefruit bitterness towards the end. Simply put this is one fine damn ale and one of the greatest brews around, top notch.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

I gave this straight fours a couple of years ago. Lets see how I feel about today. 900 million people have reviewed this brew so I'll make this brief.

Appearance: The pour is ruby with a massive tan head that lasts until the last few sips.

Smell: The nose has citrusy and piney hops in front of caramel malts.

Taste: The flavor profile is about 60/40 hops. Citrus hops come in first and caramel malts enter the mix at the mid-palate, sticking around until the burst of bitterness at the finish. This one is big and balanced.

Mouthfeel: It's fairly smooth, but it still has that Stone stickiness.

Drinkability: I understand why I give it the score I gave it, it just goes to show that palates change from time to time.

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.