Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 9,539 | Reviews: 2,892
4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

First off, I love the way Arrogant Bastard looks. It pours a deep, rich, clear, burnt maroon with a nice tan head that leaves tons of lacing. The nose has lots of juicy, citrussy, candied hops with a bit of grassiness and caramel maltiness underneath.

The taste starts with a bit of sweetness but the hops take over very quickly with spicy notes and a lot of lingering bitterness. Some bready notes also show up on the finish. You can also start to taste the alcohol as the beer nears room temperature. The mouthfeel is nice and full. The bitterness is a bit much if not broken up with some food, which hurts the drinkability a tad.

This is a really good beer, and deserving of its status as one of the classics of the American craft beer scene.

3.49/5  rDev -16.1%

My first Stone - this is a good beer (leans towards great at times) but I was expecting more given all the hype. It pours beautifully with a thick, rich head. The nose is pretty muted - mostly a maltiness which surprised me. Nice mouth feel and some classic ale flavors but it is just a touch too bitter for my taste - and I am not afraid of a well hopped beer. Next up on my list is Ruination.

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%

A- Massive two finger head, deep ruby in color.

S- Strong pungent hops atop a solid caramel backbone.

T- Great balance for a strong ale. The hop bitterness is the driving force throughout offset only an almost equally assertive malt backbone which does its best to keep the hops from running a muck. The finish is suprisingly soft and smooth.

M- Slightly fizzy ip front with very smooth finish.

D- Considering the overall strength of this beer it is very drinkable.

Honestly I was hoping to dispell the hype. I have to admit this is a really great beer.

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

It is funny that this beer is labeled as an american strong, becuase I feel it is more like a red, or more exact a double read or an imperial red. Stone starting making this beer before the doubles and imperials were being applied to beer, so there was not a category for it then. I had this beer off of tap and in a 32 oz glass. It looked rather normal, similar to other beers. The aroma is through the roof hoppy and a little like honey from the malts. the taste is very strong bitter on the front end, but leaves smoothly. There is a full bodied mouth feel to this beer, where you will almost gag on it if you have had too much to drink. This is a great beer and I am thankful I live in CA so I can buy this is some grocery stores.

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%

I compare all ASA's to this beer.

Poured from the bottle into a tall pilsner glass.

A - Held up to the light, this rich deep ruby/burgundy color is quite nice. Full finger head that LASTS with the lacing that covers every inch...

S - Grapefruit? I swear I smell grapefruit and something else. Really nice, must have taken 10 sniffs and wanted more. ;)

T - The grapefruit again with a great balance to be a 7.2%'er.

M - Great body, not too rich but far from watery.

D - If I ever win the lottery, I doubt I'll ever drink anything else.

3.18/5  rDev -23.6%

Consumed 07/02/08 at some place I can't remember the name of in Pasadena, CA.

Pours a dark copper/brown. Good carbonation leads to a nice white head with some lacing.

Aroma is not as strong as I remembered; almost nothing there but a subtle hint of citrus hops.

Flavor is equally subdued, with a dark malt character that submerges below a raw, green hop flavor. Bitterness comes on after, but all these flavors are more muted than I remember.

Maybe this was an old keg. And it was served pretty darned cold.

4.46/5  rDev +7.2%

Thanks to TexasStout for a bomber of this strong ale a couple of months ago.

Pours with a nice thick head that slowly dissolves into the beer, which is a rusty, murky reddish color. Smells surprisingly of fruit; I wasn't expecting that. Any swirl brings it back to the top. Excellent nose on this Bastard.

Now I see where the Oaked AB (a fantastic beer!) gets its backbone. This is very good. Hopped enough to warrant an IIPA label in my book, with the strong fruits pushed into the background.

Drinkability is high, high, high. I was going to drink this with a nice dinner, but the dinner is still ten minutes in the future & I don't know if this 1/2 of a bomber is going to survive that long.

Very excited to have this one (& Oaked AB I'm hoping!) across the border in Hudson soon. This one's a winner.

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

A brownish/ruby colored body. Off-white head that leaves lots of lacing.

Bready yeast in the aroma, with some hop presence.

Very hoppy, very yeasty. Citrus hops hit you first, with some grassiness. But malt is equally as strong, tasting bready and sweet. Fruit notes abound. Strong flavors, good taste. Slightly creamy mouthfeel.

Pretty drinkable, a good beer.

4.41/5  rDev +6%

Thanks to finnman for this one!

Poured from a brown bomber into an oversized merlot glass.
transparent ruby red in color with a big fluffy cream colored 3 finger head. Big laceing and great retention.

Smell is very good. Like fresh bread out of the oven, with a grain presence. Good creamy buttery sweat malty aroma's, hops are mildly detected in the smell, hop oil? Its mildly grassy.

Up front its sweet buttery cream with a grainy bread like flavor. through the middle the malt comes through with a woosh of grassy hops. So well balanced with malt grain and hops, very rich in flavor.
At the swallow the hops come back with the creamy buttery thick mouthfeel. At the swallow its dry in flavor with pine and grassy citrus hops and a good thick body.
Afte rthe swallow the hops linger and linger and linger. Oohhh, this one is good. And no, I'm not worthy.

Been trying to get my hands on this for a while. I have been missing much, this is one damn fine beer.

The bottle is quite hilarious! I will trade for this again and again, its that damn good.

4.68/5  rDev +12.5%

A: Dark red, with an impressive 2 finger light tan head. head drops a bit upon resting, leaving some nice lacing.

S: Citrus, and floral hop, with a bit of bready malt.

T: A strong hop presence, with citrus/ pine hops up front, which is what I expected, but also bready malt flavors hit you quickly as well. almost a maple syrup sweetness way down in there. Every drink I take seems to highlight a different aspect. Although I expected it to be rather unbalanced, but I really feel it is one of the more balanced beers I've had in awhile. It's certainly well hopped, but good solid malt backbone here, that can really take it. Very tasty indeed.

M: Good level of carbonation. Somewhat thick mouthfeel, but I think it fits with the plan just fine.

D: I will definitely drink this many more times. It is quite assuredly one of the finer beers I have tried in long time. I don't know if this is considered "extreme" or not, but for my tastes, it's almost simple, and I sincerely mean that as an absolute compliment. And for $3.99 for a bomber, I think I'll have at least 2 in my refrigerator at all times.

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

Appearance: Poured from the 22oz bomber into a snifter. The bottle itself is hilarious, hurling insults at any and all "sniveling yellow-fizzy-beer-drinking wimps." The beer is a dark murky brown color, but when held to light it's pure red. Head was about 2 and a half fingers thick, tan, and creamy.

Smell: Hops are front and center, fruity and piney with a balancing bready malt character along with caramel.

Taste: The beer introduces itself with a surprising smoothness and huge maltiness that includes caramel, chocolate, and a thick biscuity/bready character. Hops then come into the picture, drying things up a bit with a piney and zesty taste. Finish is smooth, thick, and drying. Not for the faint of heart.

Notes: This is one huge ass-kicker of a beer... in a good way. Thick, over the top, and ridiculously delicious. Thank you Stone.

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%

got this one from Lupe as part of the 80s BIF. thanks jason!

22oz bomber. sampled june 27/08.

pours hazy red-brown with a small dense dark yellow head. the head drops fairly fast, but leaves lots of lace behind.

aroma is good. pine. grapefruit. orange peel. alcohol. caramel. biscuit and bready malt. bit of earthy character. the hops sometimes come across slightly catty.

taste is great. just over medium bitterness level. grapefruit and pine. light caramel. bready malt. bit of alcohol. light orange. biscuit. bit of cracker.

mouthfeel is good. medium well integrated carbonation, super smooth. medium body. fairly clingy bitterness, but not enough to be unpleasant.

drinkability is good. slightly unbalanced towards hops, somewhere between an american iipa and an american barleywine. i've had this one many times and finally sat down and reviewed it. hard to go wrong with the arrogant bastard.

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%

pours a beautiful deep copper color with a white head, it looks like a Belgian almost. Smells of hops, vanilla, caramel, wonder aromas dominate the nose. taste is wonderful, full of hops, chocolately maltiness, just really damn good, pardon my french. mouthfeel is full and thick, robust. drinkability is low, 1 being that i can't buy it in illinois and had to smuggle in from indianapolis. 2ndly the price lol regardless i can't wait for my next trip to indy

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a really nice ruby red/brown color that is topped by a very creamy soft beige head. Settles to a hefty little layer. Smell is a tad tame but seems to lean toward a rich maltiness with faint traces of dark fruit, soft amounts of roasted malts too. Silky mouth feel with decent amounts of carbonation. Wow! Thats different? Hops control the palate. Spicey, earthy, and consistant, not a hop bomb but really well represented. Some of the dark fruit struggles to peak out but is soon overcome by the hops. Had heard a lot about this beer, wasn't let down. Well done.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip

A-Pours a very deep redish brown with a nice foamy head.

S-Like i've found with most stone brews there is alot to take in here Rosted malt, with a sweetness of carmel, also a nuttyness with slight hop notes.

T&M-Spicy bitterness comes to the forefront with a nice smooth malty finish, medium body with a very clean finish from what i expected

D-For the experienced palate go for it if your just starting out read the bottle and heed the warning "Your not Worthy"....yet

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

All I can say is the bottle is right.
"You are not Worthy"
if you ever get a hold of one, be sure to give the bottle a good read. you might just laugh, or be offended depending on your sense of humor.
C: Redish brown, tan small head, with surprisingly steady lacing.
S: Malty with undertones of yeast, smells like a strong belgian ale.
T: Very bitter malt character. hops are present but aren't overwhelming. I am tasting a slight black cherry undertone. Medium bodied with a bold flavor that takes no criticism. I really wish I could buy this in Springfield. for it would be a certain regular in my fridge.

Amber colored ale with a three inch head that has good staying power.Aroma is pine.Taste is hops,sugar and pine.Another beer that is way overhyped on this site.This ale is not terrible but it is not something that I would purchase again.Give me a Budweiser over this any day!!

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

I live an hour or so from Stone so their beers are thankfully abundant here. If you get a chance go to their on-premises festival (August if I remember correctly) for a fun party. What can you say about the Bastard. It's extremely balanced for such a bold brew. When I first tried this beer I thought it might be an advertising gimmick with that Creature staring at me from the bottle. Not so, it's a real taster, hops and malts and yeast coming together. Kudos to whoever came up with the marketing plan for this fine beer.

All the tastes,
He's so mastered.
Bold and balanced
Is the Bastard

4.32/5  rDev +3.8%

Appearance: Beautiful dark amber. Slightly cloudy with a nice slight head. Head laces on the glass.

Smell: Dark candy sugar, and LOTS of hops.

Taste: Very bitter hop profile with a nice sweet malty finish. The sugary malt tastes dark and rich. It's almost like a Stone IPA mixed with a mild brown ale.

Mouthfeel: Slick and a little oily from the hops. Bubbly on the tongue and bitter at the back. Almost a little creamy.

Drinkability: Based on flavour, this would be a great beer to relax with on an afternoon. I find I drink this slower since it is very aggressive and the alcohol is high. For what it is, the drinkability is quite high.

Overall: I can't believe I haven't rated this yet as I've had it numerous times over the past 2 years. It's pretty much now a classic American beer with iconic status. Well deserved and well done, Stone.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Served in a pint glass at American Flatbread in Burlington, VT.

Pours a clear reddish/brown color with a 1/2 finger creamy head. Extreme aromas of grapefuit, caramel, vanilla, and malt. Complex blend of grapefuit, lemon rind, and carmelized malt with a tea finish. High carbonation, medium body, cleanses the mouth while leaving a chalky mouthfeel. Easy drinkability despite the 7.2%.

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

A - The beer poured a very nice and clear, dark bown with some copper hues. I could tell just by the way it looked that there was going to be some tasty toasted and caramel malt flavors in there.

S - A nice malty smell with some hop character. I was actually expecting to smell a little more hop but the malt took over. Certainly not a weakness, but I thought the smell was only good.

T - Wow! Now this is what a strong ale should taste like. Nice, strong malt flavors, that fade to be replaced by some tasty esters, and then the hops kick in. I was actually expecting the hops to be over the top, but not at all. The bold and sweet malt flavor completely balance out the strong hop character making it feel perfectly balanced.

M - I really liked the mouthfeel. The carbonation was perfect and the beer was very silky to me as it hit the tongue. Then you would get a slight "tingle" as the carbonation and alcohol would play.

D - An extremely drinkable beer. Although no session beer, it is so well balanced that it could almost be one. Although this would not allow you to appreciate it's complexity and could leave you feeling like you got your ass kicked.

Overall, I really enjoyed this beer. I actually was thinking it was going to be over the top with all the arrogant marketing and from what I had heard. This was far from what I experienced, it was a very complex and well balanced beer. One that I will certainly be enjoying again.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

22oz bottled poored into oversized beer mug.

Big airy off white head, dark amber in color with red outlines. Smell is bold with toasted malts and citrus fruit/piney hop is heavy with some alcohol tingle to the sent. Bitter heaven up front with huge malt backbone throughout, overripe citrus fruit flavors finishes with more dry bitter brillaince. Good mouth feel and surprisingly drinkable for this huge brew.

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from bomber into pint glass

A: Poured rich golden amber, finger of head with lacing. Very nice looking brew.

S: For a hoppy ale I did not pick on the hops on the nose. Quite mild in fact.

T & M: Great taste, Stone is an amazing brewery. Floral textures but the bitterness is what is the main aspect of the brew. Mouthfeel excellent as well, this is a brew that lingers after a drink. I am very impressed.

D: Definitely drinkable, although with high alcohol content and the bitterness I don't know how sessionable this brew would be. I have yet to have a beer from Stone that in any manner disappointed me. They continue to surpass my expectations at every turn.

4.57/5  rDev +9.9%

A - Nice amber color with a nice cream colored head with good retention. Lucid. A fair amount of lacing left behind.

S - Bold dark fruit aromas that are accented by some herbal hops. Love the smell - very strong, pleasant aromas. Some caramel malts also detectable in the background.

T - Very complex flavor. Starts off with dark fruits with a malt backbone. An awesome, complex balanced aftertaste: a butterscotch malt flavor blends brilliantly with the herbal hops. It's a flavor that is really growing on me.

M - A surprisingly clean and refreshing finish. A medium to full body that is chocked full of flavor that's not goin anywhere. Low carbonation that allows the complex flavors to stand out. Great mouthfeel, in my opinion.

D - The style is an American Strong Ale, so it's no surprise the abv is on the high side. The flavors mask the abv exceedingly well...I can definitely feel it though. Like I said, the flavor has really grown on me. The refreshing finish also bolsters the drink. Medium to full body, so it is capable of filling you up, however.

4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: A deep crimson amber with a light caramel-colored, thick, sticky head that retains very well and settles to a solid disc of froth, leaving some decent sheets of lace on the glass.

S: Very interesting and peculiar. Dark fruits (plums, raisins, dark cherries), caramel malts, and a citrus and herbal hop character. Some smoked wood-like characteristics emerge, as well. Robust, complex, and unique.

T&M: Like the smell, taste is highly complex and unique. Roasted caramel malts, barley, and citrus and herbal hops. Alcoholic spiciness adds a tinge of flavor that helps tie the bitter hops and sweeter malts together nicely. Body is medium with a crisp carbonation and a long, lightly bitter finish.

D: Arrogant Bastard is an extreme, complex, and quality beer. The ABV, flavor complexity, and bitter finish limit drinkability somewhat, but it's still a high-quality beer that everyone ought to try at least once.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.