Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,889 | Hads: 9,863

What can I say? I love this beer.
It took me by surprise the first time, it was rather strong for an ale, yet it was everything I ever wanted in my drink. It's dark color as well as the rather fitting cup "fizzy yellow beer is for wussies" made me laugh the first time I had this, and it was rather fitting, I think for someone who doesn't like a full bodied strong beer that doesn't taste overly hoppy or citrus that they really should avoid this beer. I buy Arrogant Bastard quite often, it's usually my go to craft brew. The bottle is pretty hilarious as well.
All in all, Arrogant Bastard proves that there does exist some great ales, and all my friends I have introduced it to love it as well. (698 characters)

I love "hoppy" beers and this is my number one favorite! No one even comes close. I find it hard to believe Stone Ruination and Stone IPA beat this out on BA review rankings because to me they taste a tad watery in comparison. Don't get me wrong I like those beers but no where near as well as ABA. I think the writing on the bottle says it all. (345 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

Served on tap in a sample glass.

Appearance: Deep amber color with a white head.

Smell: Hops, citrus, malts. Some sugars too in the background.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Medium bodied and smooth. Hoppy, citrus taste that dominates the palate.

Overall: Great beer, this one definatly lived up to it's reputation. I will have this one again. (334 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

This beer is exactly what it advertises. It packs a punch! Not at all ordinary, it pours a light cloudy brown. The smell is complex, with hops and malt present. Once you take a sip and it hits your belly, you have to drink the rest. It has a strong hop taste but finishes refreshing and has a luring aftertaste. Unless you appreciate finer tastes, "You're not worthy"TM (369 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

Breaking into this style for the first time I checked and found it is a "Catch all style category for beers from 7.0 percent alcohol by volume and above" As I worked my way to the bottom of this beauty it felt like 7.2 % ABV but far from the high end of the style's range of 25% abv.

American Strong Ale is said to have similarities to Barley-wines and Old Ales (recent discussion comparing these 2 separate styles rages on the forum while I enjoy this badboy) I searched my back issues of Zymurgy looking for a recipe from the brewers - No doubt a White Lab 007 yeast and Chinook hops in ~70 IBU dose - a little less than Ruination IPA(100+IBUs). But the grains that support such a hop dominate brew were what I was looking for. (# 11.5 pounds pale two-row malt and # 1.5 pounds crystal 120 according to a recipe provided by my friendly local Beerguide) - thanks MJR

Alcoholic taste comming to the front after the taste buds throw in the towel (after the first pint) and the carbonation reduces. Keeps a medium mouthfeel till the end and although finish is dry the bitter Cascade hops give a good aftertaste inviting you back for more. So yummy that I may have 2 bottles tucked into my coffin. So hoppy and still drinkable! Hummm . . . wonder how it would work as imbalming fluid. Maybe a little note tied to the bomber saying: "Here's to ME and more of Stone's Good Stuff" Carpe Diem! (1,393 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

This is one of the best "hoppy" beers on the market. Having moved from Colorado to California, I was in search of a brewery that offered great tasting, hoppy beers. Stone Brewing in San Diego offers some excellent beer, including Arrogant Bastard. As a former English teacher I appreciate the creative writing on the back of the bottle! This beer is hoppy, yet has a slightly sweet aftertaste. It definitely packs a punch. Not for the faint-hearted, for sure. I enjoy the taste so much I could drink this beer every day! I have also had it on tap at The Yardhouse, and it is even smoother and crisper than it is from the bottle. This is an excellent beer, and one of my favorites. (680 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

Really good brew!! The appearance is super dark the color of the bottle it came from but is nice and frothy with a lace that hangs out the whole time. It is full of aroma with a lot of hops character. The mouthfeel is great very smooth which makes a perfect drinkability though it does finish kind of dry. I really enjoyed it. (326 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

Dark amber with hint of red in color. Nice mocha colored head. Grapefruit scented aroma. Extremely creamy feel with a wonderful mix of citrus and pine hop flavor. Not as over the top as I was expecting. The hop flavors are there and are definitely dominant. But it is a very well balanced beer, with a strong malt base. As the beer finishes, the bitterness really pops out at you and then trails off with a lingering flora hop flavor on the tongue. Happily much better of a balanced beer than I was expecting. (509 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

I poured this one from a bomber to a pint glass.

Appearance: An Ice tea amber with a gorgeous half inch tan head that sank to less than a quarter and left a lot of lacing.

Smell: They say the style is American Strong Ale, but my nose tells me IPA. All grapefruit and grass.

Taste: I get a slight hint of roasted malt but it's almost eclipsed by the hop explosion that overwhelms the mouth.

Mouthfeel: Perfect. I know the abv is high but it still feels like a heavy pillow on the tongue.

Drinkability: This is a fantastic ale. I'm an amateur home brewer and for my next batch I'm gonna try to recreate something like Arrogant Bastard Ale, or at least get somewhat close to it. (681 characters)

Serving type - 22 oz bottle...READ THE BOTTLE, its hilarious

A - A deep brownish red that produces a a head that looks clean but has a hint of yellow/red in it. It laces down the glass as you go

S - The moment you pop the cap off you can already tell there's a lot in store. The hops are strong and prominent but not harsh

T - An amazing mix of both roasted grains and fruitier/lighter parts. There's hints of chocolate and nuts blended with the different barley and grain elements. The hops receive more attention as the beer loses its chill and the warmth allows it to blend amazingly well so the entire beer can be appreciated.

M - The head is thick and tasty and the beer comes through it, picking up just enough of the head on the way through so you get all of the arrogant-ness!

O - Definitely a beer that shouldn't be served super cold. Just chilled and as it warms up some it changes and opens up even more. One of the best experiences you'll get out of a bottle and it lives up to its cocky namesake!! (1,015 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

Man, I love the Arrogant One. Been drinking it for a long time, but haven't felt inspired to review until tonight.

A: Deep copper, somewhat dark but clear. Nice lacing, little head.

Smell: Wonderfully hoppy, hints of cantelope, honeydew, and oranges. I could huff this all night and be happy (though I think I'll drink it too).

Taste: Again, gotta stick with the melon theme in the flavor as well as the aroma. Couldn't put my finger on the taste until tonight, but I think it's best compared to honeydew melons. Perhaps the most delicious and well-balanced hoppy brew you will find in an American Beer (though Bigfoot could be my preference on another evening). The malty sweetness is there, but all I taste is sweet delicious melons.

M: Dry at first, but goes down smooth and sticky. Aromatic hoppy bitterness lingers, but in a lucsious, viscous way that isn't overbearing (despite the "Arrogant" self-proclamation). If overbearing is what you're looking for in a hop experience, go for Stone's Ruination--that's what it's made for!

D: One in a Billion in terms of drinkability. Every sip is a feast for the palate, and every sip is better than the last. I don't know of any other beer that I would say this for, even among my other favorites.

Am I Worthy? I don't really know, but God Damn, this is one of the best beers I've ever tasted. Nasdrovia! (1,358 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

The beer poured a rich deep amber almost brown with a frothy head that slowly diminished but not completely and left great lacing on the glass. The aroma was of pine hops and burnt caramel. The taste is very well balanced between caramel and some brown malts along with earthy pine hops. They balance so well that both seem to dominate. The beer is medium bodied and although a little alcohol shows, it's not at all overbearing. This is one of my absolute favorite beers. (471 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

A - Pours a deep copper color with a nice foamy head. Head retention is spot-on and leaves a wonderful residue (no lacing though) on the side of the glass as it recedes.

S - Instant smell of hops (Cascadian?) Balanced well in aroma with a malty smell at the end. Hops seem to dominate, though nothing out of style.

T - A very smooth taste across the palate with a bitter finish from the hops. Malts hit your tongue in the center of the palate to wash over with a bitter finish. Creaminess completely covering the tongue with a long subdue on the second swallow. Balance strikes me as more balanced than was the case upon first sample. Third sample exposes itself to a malty finish, though quickly subsides to expose the more aggressive hoppy-side.

M - Taste is similar to the smell, though more hoppy aromas are prevalent in the smell than in the taste. Very smooth, properly carbonated and well-balanced!

D - Extremely drinkable and a beer I could easily drink into the wee-hours of the night.

Definitely a highly recommended beer and by far one of my favorites. I'm enjoying it so much I wish I didn't use some it for my brussel sprout recipe!

Enjoy! (1,162 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +18.4%

This (obviously) is one of my favorite beers to drink on a regular basis.
A- Dark amber color with a good white head that laces around the glass. I love the way this beer looks.
S- Aggresive hop odor, very aggresive hop odor. Everytime I drink this beer, and I drink it often, I forget how hoppy it is and it always brings a smile to my face.
T- WOW!! So stong and hoppy. I get a piny after taste with a bite in the back of my mouth. Yum!
M- Once its in your mouth you know its a stong ale and you can definatly tell the ABV. Makes your tounge happy before destroying your tastebuds.
D- Yes Yes YES!! Sorry I just really enjoy this beer. I recomend it to anyone who mentions they like a hoppy beer. (699 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +18.4%

This beer was spotted on this site in one of the Best catagories and had a very high rating so I thought I'd give it a try. First off I like this style of Ale so I have tried a number of Strong ales. So I go to Mr G's in Plano and pull that 22 oz bad boy out of the cooler and read the lable and was cracked up!!. Said to myself this has to be good. Put it in refrigerator
untill the next day. Friday I pour it into a pilsner glass and witness a beautiful glass of beer. The color was a nice copper, the head was thick and foamy with tight small bubbles and the stayed on and didn't dissipate at all. The taste was so smooth I couldn't believe I was drinking 7.2 % ale. This beer is so well brewed I could find no faults with. I am not sure if there are some Cigar smokers out there, if so this is the beer to enjoy with your best cigars. FS. (856 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +18.2%

In bottle....guess it's a Stone day. Served in an IRS tulip. Best buy date of June 2nd, so it could be fresher, but I believe Stone to know when their beer will shit out by.

Appearance: very amber. Inch head with aggressive pour (yeah, on purpose). Dissapates and leaves a thin white line of head above the amber beer. Swirls magnificently, looks like a beautiful ocean wave with the bubbles floating up to the top.

Aroma: some sweet biscuit malt, but mostly piney hops with a little grapefruit in the background. I know the grapefruit is more prominent fresh.

Taste: hops. Grapefruit and pine. Followed by some malty sweetness and a finish of piney bitterness with a little citrus in the background.

Mouthfeel: thick in the mouth without filling me up. Could go back to back with this bomber. Perfect carbonation. Smooth beer but has a prickly carbonation to unbalance it which seems perfect.

Overall: Hot damn! I am worthy you bastards! I absolutely love this beer. Perfect unbalance of hops and malt. Heavy but not too heavy, could drink this all day but this will ruin a palate far more than ruination. Read the back story, what a fantasic mistake! Parts of this beer arent perfect but as a whole this beer cant get any better. Perfection. Enthusiastic 5!! (1,266 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +18.2%

Sticky off-white head about 1/4 inch think. Dark, deep red in color. This was one of the most delicious smelling beers I've ever come across. Very fragrant hop aroma and plenty of other scents to keep the nose busy. Among them were toasted grains and fruit, mango I believe. The bitterness was huge at first, but after the first sip it seems appropriate due to the thick, dark malt flavor. The toastiness of the malt was certainly complimented by the lime-peel hop flavor. I noticed faint smoke somewhere in this complex brew. Somewhere towards the end of the extremely long finish, some retro-nasal coconut and diacetyl were noticed.

This was my first experience with the beer and the brewery. I’m glad to say that it all lived up to the hype. Thanks to TXHops for the beer. (780 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +18.2%

On tap to a pint glass. I realize I am fortunate to have this avialable to me on tap being from the mid-west. Thanks Daddy O's!

Deep burgundy, mahagony with a tight half inch head and thick lacing.

Smells of dark fruit, pine needles and citrus rinds. A great roasty caramel sweetness is also present in the nose.

Taste is crisp, clean citurs-piney hop with sweet cara malts and belgian sugars. Damn good!

This is a superior drinker. Easy going down and complexingly satisfactory to the palate.

Kicks ass! (510 characters)

22 oz bomber
A: Side poured into a pint beer mug. Large, 3 finger head, tannish off-white in color. Very slowly receding leaving a sticky glue-like lacing on side of mug and creating a pillowy cloud-like head as it recedes. Lacing is staying put all the way through finishing the mug.Reflective light reveals a dark brown chocolate color. Shining a light through the beer reveals a slightly hazy, dark red amber color. Carbonation is excellent. Bubbles are from foam sized tiny up to a cluster of large bubbles in center of glass up to 1/4 inch. An absolutely beautiful beer.
S: Resiny citrus hops, grapefruity, malt, a slight sweetness. Very nice, very balanced smelling. Nothing stands out a lot. Perhaps the hops stand out more pronounced than anything else which is a bit of a surprise considering it is not an IPA. Nonetheless it is very nice.
T: Same notes as smell but pretty much in reverse order. Slightly sweet malt flavor followed by hops and a crisp slightly dry finish followed by a lingering bittersweet aftertaste of toffee, caramel and coffee. Awesome. Very balanced. Only a hint of alcohol in the taste.
M: Smooth and creamy up front with a crisp bite in the background followed by a tingly feel on the tongue and a slight warmth from the ABV. Very much inviting me to take another quaff.
O: An excellent American Strong Ale. Because the characteristics for this style are so wide of a range, it absolutely fits the style even though the ABV is on the low end of the scale. A excellent ale. Near perfect. I love it. This beer has the right to call itself Arrogant Bastard in my humble opinion. (1,612 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.7%

Wow! After all of my friends hyping this beer up I took the plunge and and I ever glad I did! This has got to be the best smelling beer I have ever had. After I poured it, I let it sit for awhile and warm a bit and took in the aroma that had hints of pine and carmel. The beer bursted with flavor once it hit my mouth and just opened up, dominated by hops but I could taste the malt sneek in there before the great hoppy finnish. I'm glad this is a year 'round brew because it will be a regular in my fridge from now on. (520 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.7%

I will always have a big heart for this beer,it was the first real beer that got me into real beer. To this day it is still my gold standard for beer. App its a dark ruby amber it has a strong smell piney in the front and in the back. It just tastes like o this is what a beer is sour at the start super piney at the end,great thick mouthfeel. Everyone should drink this atleast twice. (385 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.7%

I had this wonderful brew in 22oz. form poured into a tulip glass. The color is a super deep ruby red, probably the deepest red hue I've ever seen. This color is just breathtaking. The pour gives a good 1 finger of head, that fades away to a small line very slowly, and leaves a fair amount of lace down the glass as I drink it. The smell wasn't what I expected. It had a sweet fruitiness to it, which was very pleasantly mixed with hop aroma. The taste starts off sweet, with a bite of citrus, grapefruit I'm thinking. The finish is all hops, but not too bitter. This is a beer that is in perfect malt/hop harmony. I really love it. The mouthfeel is a little soft for a strong ale though. The drinkability of this beer is very high, even at 7.2%ABV. I wish I wouldn't have bought the store's last bottle! (805 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.7%

I don't even wanna write a full review, I just want to say about this is like mana of the gods and every time I've purchased it I have been totally satisfied. I don't even flinch despite the price tag. Drink this (212 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.7%

As I pour this beer I remember how grateful I am to Stone for finally coming to Michigan. How lucky am I to be able to try all these great beers!
This beer pours a dark red amber color with a huge head that last forever...literally, with tons of nice lacing.
Smell is a nice roasted malt/carmel/fruity flavor. Very complex. I sure hope it tastes this good.
Wow! The sweetness of this beer is very nice. I can taste some pineapple/grapefruit and some nice malt flavors coming throught. The finish is dry with some of those great west coast hops really shining through. This beer sure has a lot going on! I think this might be one of the best beers that I have tried. (671 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.7%

A: Dark shade of brown with a substantial head that leaves beautiful lacing on the glass

S: Carmel, biscuit, citrusy hops. Intense smell.

T/M: Really hoppy to start but finishes with a delicious carmel sweetness. Wow, I'm kind of blown away by this beer. The hop bite is substantial- resiny bitterness abounds, but this is balanced with an impressive malt profile. Thick, complex mouthfeel that really allows the complexity of this brew to shine. A bit of an alcohol warming, but the ABV is concealed rather well with all of the other flavors.

D: This is one of the best beers I've ever had, and if Stone distributed to Missouri, a beer that would regularly be in my fridge. Extremely complex and delicious. (711 characters)

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.