Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 9,804 | Reviews: 2,966
4.94/5  rDev +18.8%

In bottle....guess it's a Stone day. Served in an IRS tulip. Best buy date of June 2nd, so it could be fresher, but I believe Stone to know when their beer will shit out by.

Appearance: very amber. Inch head with aggressive pour (yeah, on purpose). Dissapates and leaves a thin white line of head above the amber beer. Swirls magnificently, looks like a beautiful ocean wave with the bubbles floating up to the top.

Aroma: some sweet biscuit malt, but mostly piney hops with a little grapefruit in the background. I know the grapefruit is more prominent fresh.

Taste: hops. Grapefruit and pine. Followed by some malty sweetness and a finish of piney bitterness with a little citrus in the background.

Mouthfeel: thick in the mouth without filling me up. Could go back to back with this bomber. Perfect carbonation. Smooth beer but has a prickly carbonation to unbalance it which seems perfect.

Overall: Hot damn! I am worthy you bastards! I absolutely love this beer. Perfect unbalance of hops and malt. Heavy but not too heavy, could drink this all day but this will ruin a palate far more than ruination. Read the back story, what a fantasic mistake! Parts of this beer arent perfect but as a whole this beer cant get any better. Perfection. Enthusiastic 5!!

4.94/5  rDev +18.8%

Sticky off-white head about 1/4 inch think. Dark, deep red in color. This was one of the most delicious smelling beers I've ever come across. Very fragrant hop aroma and plenty of other scents to keep the nose busy. Among them were toasted grains and fruit, mango I believe. The bitterness was huge at first, but after the first sip it seems appropriate due to the thick, dark malt flavor. The toastiness of the malt was certainly complimented by the lime-peel hop flavor. I noticed faint smoke somewhere in this complex brew. Somewhere towards the end of the extremely long finish, some retro-nasal coconut and diacetyl were noticed.

This was my first experience with the beer and the brewery. I’m glad to say that it all lived up to the hype. Thanks to TXHops for the beer.

4.94/5  rDev +18.8%

On tap to a pint glass. I realize I am fortunate to have this avialable to me on tap being from the mid-west. Thanks Daddy O's!

Deep burgundy, mahagony with a tight half inch head and thick lacing.

Smells of dark fruit, pine needles and citrus rinds. A great roasty caramel sweetness is also present in the nose.

Taste is crisp, clean citurs-piney hop with sweet cara malts and belgian sugars. Damn good!

This is a superior drinker. Easy going down and complexingly satisfactory to the palate.

Kicks ass!

22 oz bomber
A: Side poured into a pint beer mug. Large, 3 finger head, tannish off-white in color. Very slowly receding leaving a sticky glue-like lacing on side of mug and creating a pillowy cloud-like head as it recedes. Lacing is staying put all the way through finishing the mug.Reflective light reveals a dark brown chocolate color. Shining a light through the beer reveals a slightly hazy, dark red amber color. Carbonation is excellent. Bubbles are from foam sized tiny up to a cluster of large bubbles in center of glass up to 1/4 inch. An absolutely beautiful beer.
S: Resiny citrus hops, grapefruity, malt, a slight sweetness. Very nice, very balanced smelling. Nothing stands out a lot. Perhaps the hops stand out more pronounced than anything else which is a bit of a surprise considering it is not an IPA. Nonetheless it is very nice.
T: Same notes as smell but pretty much in reverse order. Slightly sweet malt flavor followed by hops and a crisp slightly dry finish followed by a lingering bittersweet aftertaste of toffee, caramel and coffee. Awesome. Very balanced. Only a hint of alcohol in the taste.
M: Smooth and creamy up front with a crisp bite in the background followed by a tingly feel on the tongue and a slight warmth from the ABV. Very much inviting me to take another quaff.
O: An excellent American Strong Ale. Because the characteristics for this style are so wide of a range, it absolutely fits the style even though the ABV is on the low end of the scale. A excellent ale. Near perfect. I love it. This beer has the right to call itself Arrogant Bastard in my humble opinion.

4.92/5  rDev +18.3%

Wow! After all of my friends hyping this beer up I took the plunge and and I ever glad I did! This has got to be the best smelling beer I have ever had. After I poured it, I let it sit for awhile and warm a bit and took in the aroma that had hints of pine and carmel. The beer bursted with flavor once it hit my mouth and just opened up, dominated by hops but I could taste the malt sneek in there before the great hoppy finnish. I'm glad this is a year 'round brew because it will be a regular in my fridge from now on.

4.92/5  rDev +18.3%

I will always have a big heart for this beer,it was the first real beer that got me into real beer. To this day it is still my gold standard for beer. App its a dark ruby amber it has a strong smell piney in the front and in the back. It just tastes like o this is what a beer is sour at the start super piney at the end,great thick mouthfeel. Everyone should drink this atleast twice.

4.92/5  rDev +18.3%

I had this wonderful brew in 22oz. form poured into a tulip glass. The color is a super deep ruby red, probably the deepest red hue I've ever seen. This color is just breathtaking. The pour gives a good 1 finger of head, that fades away to a small line very slowly, and leaves a fair amount of lace down the glass as I drink it. The smell wasn't what I expected. It had a sweet fruitiness to it, which was very pleasantly mixed with hop aroma. The taste starts off sweet, with a bite of citrus, grapefruit I'm thinking. The finish is all hops, but not too bitter. This is a beer that is in perfect malt/hop harmony. I really love it. The mouthfeel is a little soft for a strong ale though. The drinkability of this beer is very high, even at 7.2%ABV. I wish I wouldn't have bought the store's last bottle!

4.92/5  rDev +18.3%

I don't even wanna write a full review, I just want to say about this is like mana of the gods and every time I've purchased it I have been totally satisfied. I don't even flinch despite the price tag. Drink this

4.92/5  rDev +18.3%

As I pour this beer I remember how grateful I am to Stone for finally coming to Michigan. How lucky am I to be able to try all these great beers!
This beer pours a dark red amber color with a huge head that last forever...literally, with tons of nice lacing.
Smell is a nice roasted malt/carmel/fruity flavor. Very complex. I sure hope it tastes this good.
Wow! The sweetness of this beer is very nice. I can taste some pineapple/grapefruit and some nice malt flavors coming throught. The finish is dry with some of those great west coast hops really shining through. This beer sure has a lot going on! I think this might be one of the best beers that I have tried.

4.92/5  rDev +18.3%

A: Dark shade of brown with a substantial head that leaves beautiful lacing on the glass

S: Carmel, biscuit, citrusy hops. Intense smell.

T/M: Really hoppy to start but finishes with a delicious carmel sweetness. Wow, I'm kind of blown away by this beer. The hop bite is substantial- resiny bitterness abounds, but this is balanced with an impressive malt profile. Thick, complex mouthfeel that really allows the complexity of this brew to shine. A bit of an alcohol warming, but the ABV is concealed rather well with all of the other flavors.

D: This is one of the best beers I've ever had, and if Stone distributed to Missouri, a beer that would regularly be in my fridge. Extremely complex and delicious.

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Mother of God, thanks to Stone for making this delicious beer.

Pours from the 22 dark red, like beet juice. Nice blonde colored head foams up and as it settles leaves a nice bit of lacing around the top of the goblet. Dark brown and clear, with the tan head sitting atop it, it looks like some yum.

Smells of grapefruit, flowers, piney and citrus hops dominate the aroma. Alcohol in the nose, doesn't take away from the beer in the least bit. Cereal malts in the background, but very faint. Smells wonderful I really can't say enough about the grapefruit smelling hop character. Juicy is really the only word that does it justice.

Refreshing hop bite initially that lasts forever and a day. A schpeil of flavors present themselves through out the bitterness. Pine, sweet fruits, and citrusy hops are very prevalent. Sweet malts give the hops a nice backbone to hold it up. To me, the feel of this Bastard on my pallate is perfect. Not syrupy, but not thin either. A bit chewy, but you won't need your spoon to drink this. About as close as you can get to perfection.

This beer would have been all 5's if it would have been a bit easier to drink. The hop bitterness really lasts throughout and destroys your pallate. But it is worth it. Without question one of my top 5 of all time.

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

A: Very inviting dark color with a honey-colored head about an inch high that sustained throughout the drink.

S: Like walking into a brewery and being smacked in the face with a sack of hops.

T: Very strong flavor that lingers well after the sip. Malty with even a bit of citrus. My friends were convinced that I had squirted some lime into my mug

M: Thick, almost like molasses. Hearty and goes down smooth.

D: Very delicious but the higher alcohol content and strong, thick content of the beer keeps me from drinking more than a couple.

Overall I would suggest that you try this beer if you ever have a chance.

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

As Stone is now one of now my default beer choices, I decided to try another one of their offerings. I found a 220z. bottle of this sitting on a shelf at a shop I had never been to before.

Wow! Even though this is a strong beer by my standards, it is very enjoyable and drinkable.

The color is a beautiful deep ruby red. It has plenty of head and the carbonation won't quit. It leaves a nice lace on the glass.

The taste is strong but very good. I was worried that it would be too much to remain pleasant before I could polish-of the bottle, but to my surprise it was quite good to the end - maybe it even got better!

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I love this beer.
The appearance is a deep reddish brown.
The aroma is hops in your face with a spicy scent.
The taste is upfront and personal with a dank hoppy punch.
The mouthfeel is heavy and rich.
There is nothing sweet about this beer. If you love bitter hops and a strong ale, this is for you.

Poured out of a bottle (with an Enjoy By date by the way - August 8, 2015) into an old fashioned glass.

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

I've had this beer many times on tap, but for fear of coming across as the pretentious a$$hole in the bar, I have yet to review it. I finally found it bottled and decided to give it my utmost attention.

I smelled it first in the bottle because I couldn't wait, and my mouth is watering.

Pours a deep, dark amber with a pillowy off-white head.

Smells of huge amounts of piney hopsand bright citrus notes. If only I could find a cologne with a similar smell, I'd probably spend many a night home alone :)

Taste is sweet and bright with a powerful hops bite at the very end.

I'm in love with this beer. If Stone has a musician endorsement program, someone please let me know because I would drink this beer on stage every night!

4.89/5  rDev +17.5%

Awesome. Pure and hard hitting. One of my top favorites

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Poured a dark amber, with a tan/cream colored one finger head that stuck until the very end. The aroma was the only thing that I found disappointing. I picked up some sweet/herbal hops and a slight bit of malt, but nothing too special. The first taste... aggressive hops, citrusy, piney, floral, herbal, and mildly malty. The complex taste definitely made up for the lack of aroma. Its medium body and carbonation was perfectly in tune with the taste. Still a sipping beer though. I was interested in trying Arrogant Bastard for a long time and I must say that it lived up the the hype. The story on the back of the bottle is a nice touch as well.
Awesome Beer!

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Best beer I have had in a long time, its even better at the brewery!

From a 22oz bomber

A-pours a beautiful copper red brown. This produces a substantial cream-colored head with strong retention. Lacing is even all the way down the glass. The bottle is a work of art, as is this exemplary brew. Never see comments about sound, but this was music to my ears from bottle to glass.

S-enticing, menacing. Even suggesting I am not worthy. Beckoning me to determine if I have the sophistication to appreciate this brew (you gotta read the label).

T-I'm too much of a neophyte to describe all the subtleties I enjoy reading from other reviewers. However, I immediately knew this is a substantial brew to be reckoned with. This is a complex, balanced, quality beer I will definitely be wanting again. Hop bitterness at the beginning that finishes with a pleasant sweetness. Can't fully describe the taste in between, but I think I am arrogant enough to be worthy of this very fine brew.

M-substantial yet smooth, even delicate. A definite sipping beer because you don't want to rush past any of its nuances. I love this beer.

D-22oz tonight will be enough since it is quite filling. 7.2% ABV is dangerously masked. I don't notice it in the taste. Very drinkable. So much so that I am actually glad it cost $5. I will treasure this one in the future, albeit sparingly, looking forward to each time with anticipation.

I have wanted to try this for some time now. Been in my fridge about 3 weeks. Tonight was just the right setting. In Salem, Oregon, we got an exceedingly rare tornado warning about 4:00 this afternoon and the storm that blew through disrupted my outdoor activity plans this evening. I wasn't arrogant enough to challenge the elements on my bicycle. So when I looked in the fridge and saw the gargoyle, I knew this was the right time. I had high expectations and was not at all disappointed. Except, when the last sip was over.

I love reading the label. I ain't ever going back to "tasteless fizzy yellow beer."

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Wow. I just drank a 1 liter of this with a big juicy Tbone steak, and all I can say is wow, what a perfect match.

Appearance: Thick, dark, reminds me of a very good Porter.

Smell: Bitter hops, slightly burnt smelling which was absolutely the only complaint I had about this brew.

Taste: Arrogant, powerful, aggressive. Mildly sweet, but very bitter. It reminds me of a very good strong black coffee with about 3 teaspoons of sugar... add some 90% cocoa dark chocolate and you've got a decent approximation of the flavor (though that really doesn't describe the whole flavor... you've really got to try it to catch all of what I mean).

Mouthfeel: thick, hearty, slightly sticky. Very smooth overall with just enough carbonation to enhance the flavor without damaging it.

Drinkability: Wow... this is a hard one. It's definitely not an accessible beer (people that aren't used to IPAs or generally good beers need to avoid this one like the clap). That said, this beer deserves to be a fixture in the beer cooler/cellar of all true IPA lovers. This also isn't something you can just shotgun in 30 seconds and be done with it. The complicated flavor really demands that you slow down and appreciate every sip while you savor every new aspect of it.

Overall: This beer is just too complicated for anyone that isn't used to good beer. If you want a simple, easily drinkable beer, this isn't the brew for you, but if you want something to savor that will really make you pause and consider it's characteristics, this is definitely something to look into. I'd say it's a sterling example of the IPA style.

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Heed the warning on the label non-believers, because this is one tough beer that is only meant for the big boys. The pour was dark and thick, the head was dark and thick, and the taste is like a malt explosion in your mouth. Stone is probably the God's of mixing water, hops, malt and yeast together. They haven't failed me yet.

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

One of the beers in a trade with Nathan15.

Beer pours a nice reddish hue with ample head. Aroma is very strong and malty, even hoppy.You can easily tell that this one is gonna be a slobberknocker. The taste starts out all innocent and malty but once it hits the back of the throat, the alcohol comes into play, leaving a nice but dry aftertaste. However, I detected a hint of raisin in the beer, if not much.

Strong, malty and definitely not like anything I've had from around this area. I can easily see why beers from the Stone Brewing Company are held in such high regard. I especially like the aftertaste it leaves. Very good!

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Appearance: opaque dark copper with a light tan head.

Smell: hops and malt mingle, with strong pine notes backed up by caramel sweetness.

Taste: caramel malt with bitterness and pine from the hops. Some roasty notes as well. Strong presence of both malts and hops, with a nice balance achieved between them.

Mouth Feel: smooth and heavy. Low carbonation. This ale coats the tongue and mouth, and thus the taste lingers for a while.

Overall: damned delicious! Smooth and deep in complex flavor, and well balanced. Sticks to the tongue, but not enough to be too sticky.

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

This beer looks great and also looks very appetizing when poured out of the bottle and into a glass. It has a dark brown reddish color and is crystal clear. When held up to the light the nice red color comes out very nicely. It froms a beautiful large head when poured that never gets smaller than about a 1/4 of an inch. The creamy head also has a good amount of lacing which adds to its appetizing look. I don't think that they look much better than this.

The aroma of this beer can be characterized by one word, hops. The aroma of hops is overwhelming in this brew, it dominates not only the smell of this beer but the flavor as well.

If you like really hoppy beers then I think that you'll love this one. There is almost no hint of any malty or sweet flavor in this beer. There is a small malt flavor but it is really unbalanced by the amount of hop flavor this beer has. Other than that I can't really describe the flavor of this beer. I taste something that lingers in my mouth afterwards that reminds me of wood, like I have been chewing on a stick or something.

This beer feels good on the palate. It is a full bodied beer and feels heavy on the palate. The level of carbonation is low, which is in my opinion appropriate to the style. It is not a beer that can be chugged, rather it has to be drunk over time. Its a great brew to sit down and enjoy. This beer is really a gem, one of the best brews I have ever had, I'll always respect the bastard and will always find myself coming back to this brew again and again. It is definitely worth the money and a try. Go ahead and see if you're worthy.

Amazing beer!

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.