1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,461 | Reviews: 2,739 | Show All Ratings:
Kaie

Washington

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

Hands down one of the best strong ales out there. Probably my favorite.

The entire bastard line is fantastic. If you've never had any of the 'Bastards'; Might as well start with the original yeah?

Everything about this brew drips awesome.

The first thing i notice every time is the quality smell. It really sets up the flavor for the entire Arrogant Bastard Experience.

08-07-2011 01:08:15 | More by Kaie
Kelpius

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

This is one of my favorite bottled beers. Considering some of its qualifying competitors come from the same company, you can't go too wrong with any Stone beer. Delightful mouth feel, superb flavor and tremendous overall quality. A bit pricey, but worth the splurge. Try it. It might become your favorite beer. If you like something a bit hoppier, try the IPAs from Stone. Seriously, a brewery we can only hope is around to stay.

01-07-2013 05:35:37 | More by Kelpius
Misajet90

Montana

4.86/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is a good solid beer to go along with a strong flavored meal. I usually will have one with a steak or burgers but to be honest it's a good beer to have just about anytime.

If you can find it on tap it's worth it every time. I've only seen it at the Brewery and at Barney's Beanery but I'm sure there are more. Out of the bottle this is a great beer also.

Overall I highly recomend this beer to everyone, if you like dark beer or not it's worth trying it out.

01-15-2013 19:35:31 | More by Misajet90
mevett89

Maryland

4.86/5  rDev +16.3%

Appearance: opaque dark copper with a light tan head.

Smell: hops and malt mingle, with strong pine notes backed up by caramel sweetness.

Taste: caramel malt with bitterness and pine from the hops. Some roasty notes as well. Strong presence of both malts and hops, with a nice balance achieved between them.

Mouth Feel: smooth and heavy. Low carbonation. This ale coats the tongue and mouth, and thus the taste lingers for a while.

Overall: damned delicious! Smooth and deep in complex flavor, and well balanced. Sticks to the tongue, but not enough to be too sticky.

03-01-2013 21:26:21 | More by mevett89
Aaron_Ramson

4.86/5  rDev +16.3%

Appearance as poured into a 20 oz pint glass is stunning; a khaki head of foam that does not fall after nearly 5 minutes of sitting, a reddish brown color with absolute clarity that appears almost blood red when held to the light. Smell is very potent and powerful with equal part resiny, herbal hops and dark malts; dried fruit, prunes, leather, botanicals, pine and resin. The taste is bitter, dark and satisfying with a burnt sugar, caramel, toast, roasted cereal grains and black coffee, offset by earthy and resinous hop character, ending astringent and slightly drying. It sits heavily in the mouth, coating; medium carbonation that is completely fitting. This beer is good to the last drop, a combination of IPA, amber ale and Imperial stout in my opinion. It's a classic that has stood the test of time and one that I come back to over and over again.

10-18-2013 16:58:35 | More by Aaron_Ramson
francisweizen

Arizona

4.85/5  rDev +16%

Notes: The drinkability suffers due to the high alcohol content and the mouthfeel is a bit harsh...

This beer is perfect! Thanks to Morris729 for the sample. I have no idea why I have waited so long to try this beer, but I have tried it now! This beer poured a beautiful, dark, blood-red colour with a awesome head. This beer had the wonderful aromas of heavy, bready malts, and mouth-puckering, citrus-like, hops! The taste was of heavy hops and heavy malts in perfect harmony. The hops in this beer were extremely citrusy and this beer had an overwhelming and yummy grapefruit flavor. The mouthfeel of this beer was very thick, sharp, crisp, creamy, and full and the drinkability is top-notch, despite the 7.2% abv.
I'm not worthy!
Cheers!
-F

04-10-2003 12:46:22 | More by francisweizen
AlexJ

4.85/5  rDev +16%

Stone could pee in a bottle, hop it up and I would probably drink it. Their beer are nothing if not extraordinary. Read the bottle first, the copy sends shivers of apprehension up your spine-Am I worthy? As it turns out, yes! Pours a beautiful garnet color with a lingering head and tons of lacing on my goblet. Malt and hops fight it out for the nose. An immediate punch in the mouth of hops. Raisens, moist fruit cake, port? Very complex and intense. I savored every drop. Like all dank beers, it should be drank cellar temp. I have a few of em stashed in the cellar, can't wait to see what time does to this Stone potion!

08-27-2004 14:19:18 | More by AlexJ
makoshark

4.85/5  rDev +16%

I liked this beer so much I got the appropriate glassware from Stone Brewing. Of course the marketing is a great starter for this beer, but there is much more to this beer than just the marketing!

It pours a clear amber beautiful tan head. The aroma is a very strong hop and malt smell. I love strong hop beers, and this one gives you the hops along with very complex flavors. This beer is not for people who don't like full flavor in their beers!

12-31-2004 16:11:52 | More by makoshark
Ave

Iowa

4.85/5  rDev +16%

Wow, what do you say about this beer? It is amazing in almost every way. Looking at it, it is a beautiful thing, deep amber, thick fluffy head. Smelling it, it smells like caramel, maple, bread & fruit. Tasting it… leaves me speechless. This is what beer aspires to be. Thank you Stone, & extra thanks to Mntlover for the trade that made this smile on my face possible.

If aged & served well, this could easily be a straight 5 beer.

01-09-2005 23:46:34 | More by Ave
nlmartin

4.85/5  rDev +16%

This beer was served on tap at Eulogys in Philly. The beer was served in a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer has a dark amber nearing crimson coloration. The head was thin and off white. The beer left some streaks down the side of my glass.

Smell: The beer has a toasted maltyness. The maltyness helps bring in waves of aggressive grapefruit and pine cone resin. The beer has a good spicey alcohol aroma.

Taste: The beer produced great loads of citrus zest, grapefruityness, and pine trees. Tucked up underneath all this is a great big caramel malty backbone. The alcohol combines in the flavor to bring a spiceyness to the beer. This isnt as aggressive as I remember it; however, it is still a Arrogant Bastard.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is full bodied. The beer has lingering hop oilyness. The beer is pleasingly complex. This beer was oddly very smooth on draft. This is a very drinkable bastard. I dont think I would try to make an evening with Arrogant Bastard. But Arrogant Bastard is a great beer to have on any evening.

07-18-2006 11:00:45 | More by nlmartin
kimcgolf

Georgia

4.85/5  rDev +16%

This is a great beer, from the name to the label, and best of all, the beer itself. Pours to a hazy, orange-red color, and a tan head that lingers throughout the entire beer, leaving excellent lacing up and down the glass. Strong aroma of citrusy hops, mostly grapefruit, stays stready throughout. Hoppy bitterness at first is nicely balanced by a hint of malty sweetness at mid-glass. Finish is an excellent, smooth bittersweet. I was looking forward to this beer, and once again was not disappointed by Stone.

09-10-2006 16:42:49 | More by kimcgolf
EPseja

4.85/5  rDev +16%

On the eve following the first frost in Westwood, NJ for the autumn of 2006, the Arrogant Bastard finally finds its way to my lips... if only to take the chill out of the evening air.

Served from an exquisitely screen printed 22oz bomber at just below cellar temperature into a Duvel tulip -- my tasting glass of choice.

A - Medium brown coming out of the bottle, transforming into a very lightly hazed, smog-filtered sunset blazing red-orange. The airy, tan colored head explodes toward the upper flare of the glass, rising a good three inches before sitting put. The bubbles below the head's surface range from tiny to huge, and they all buoy up the rocky, fluffy and inconsistently bubbled crown. The lacing immediately sets up, leaving sticky, volcanic crags etched against the sides of the glass. If my words didn't give it away, I'll say it plainly: perfect.

S - West-coast hoppiness presented as an orange-blossom wreath atop a Cascade mountain pine tree with drippy sweet malt-sap covered pinecones. Warm and chilly at the same time, earthy and heady. Wonderful!

T - Superbly round, warm and supple mudium-toasted maltiness starts you out as it hits the tip of the tongue. A transformation then takes place that squeezes out a flowery, honey-laden juiciness as it continues on towards the back of the tongue where the hops begin their dance. A bitterness starts to grow that just falls short of ruining the delicate balance... everything remains in check. The aftertaste is that of toasted pretzel sticks and hoppy bitterness that works together to tell your brain that it's time for another sip as your belly warms and your inhibitions slip into the shadows.

M - With only a trace of tingle on the tongue, the beer flows into the mouth, like the low grade angle flow of water across a sheet of glass. It grows ever so slightly in the mouth to become a creamy, frothy delight as it slips and slides down the gullet and into my eager stomach.

D - There is no denying that this beer is worthy of every accolade it has thus received from all other raters, and now me. Smooth and delicious, but full of bold and assertive flavor -- as well as alcohol! Be careful. This beer may be good, but it's still a Bastard.

10-28-2006 00:59:10 | More by EPseja
EagleAg

4.85/5  rDev +16%

I had heard alot about this beer from some of my buddies and said I had to try it if I liked flavorful beers. It certainly did not disappoint.

The beer poured a deep amber, reddish color with nice head the faded slowly and left a nice lacing down the glass.

The smell of hops was evident along with a slight sweetness. There is a fruitiness that comes through as well.

The taste is bold to say the least. The first thing that hit me was the almost overwhelming sense of hops but it transforms into a slightly sweet caramel flavor. As you drink it the hops tone seems to dissapate a little to let you get some of the more delicate undertones that are missed on the first drink.

This is a lightly carbonated and feels rich in your mouth. Very smooth and gets smoother as you drink it.

Definitely lives up to its warning that this is not for the carbonated macro brew drinkers. This will definitely be something I get again and again.

02-15-2008 04:26:22 | More by EagleAg
DunDun

4.85/5  rDev +16%

This is my first review and I just had to say something about this beer. At 21 I have already developed a bitter taste for brews. I'm always searching for something I haven't tried yet that will leave my mouth tingling from bitterness. Once I saw this brew said "You're not worthy" I knew I had to try. It poured almost a brown which was cloudy with bubbles rising from the depths instantly. I chilled it to a near freezing temperature because I love cold brew, this might have made it more stronger tasting but I loved it. I can barely describe the taste because it changes so much so fast. After a swallow an immediate hoppy bitterness congregated on my palate. A fantastic beer! And still as my pilsner glass sits it is covered from top to bottom in the thickest lacing I've ever seen. A must do for any beer connoisseur!

12-21-2008 00:54:56 | More by DunDun
OldeEnglishD

4.85/5  rDev +16%

I was really looking forward to this beer as I had heard so much about it. Let me tell you it didn't dissappoint! Everything about this beer delivers, from the excellent deep coloring to the great head of foam, to the complex series of flavors. Every sip brought a new nuance of flavor that kept me wanting more. The only drawback to the beer is that it is slightly heavy to be a session beer, but it is definately the first beer I will grab when I start off the night.

06-30-2009 20:13:10 | More by OldeEnglishD
WTBash

4.85/5  rDev +16%

This is a really great beer. It pours a thick red-brown color with and eggshell head. the smell is complex, almost distractingly so. It has rich aromas of citrus, pine, and malt. Taste-wise, its bitter but in a way that detracts from the beer; the hints of fruit and barley come through brilliantly. It's thick as to be expected, and its very drinkable for a strong ale. Stone thought it would be a good idea to add double of EVERYTHING and it works amazingly well. Perhaps the only reservation I have with the beer is a blatantly (if not provocatively) condescending ad campaign, which fits.

11-12-2010 04:35:19 | More by WTBash
Floyd12

4.85/5  rDev +16%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a mug.

A- Deep copper color beer with a large sticky and frothy off white head with great retention that left lacing all down the side.

S- STRONG hop aroma with fruity and floral undertones which attempt and almost succeed in masking the high alcohol content.

T- Very ful and rich taste witha medium body. A toasted and caramel undertone with a malty sweetness that balances the alcohol bite. Al matched with the fruity hoppy taste.

M- Very smooth with mild carbonation.

D- Very drinkable if you are sophisticated enough to enjoy it. Large bottle and high alcohol conent means you can't knock back 6 or 7, but you will greatly enjoy what you do drink

03-21-2011 01:28:56 | More by Floyd12
Luigi

4.85/5  rDev +16%

Pours out deep hazy almost dark red amber color. A massive creamy head, three finger in size. Lacing around the glass is consistent and the retention of the head last until the last drop.

The aroma is rich with hops! Sour citrus and pine notes, yet the sweet malt and alcohol pulls through.

Rich flavor of intense hops. Sour citrus and bitter pine hops dominate. But at the same time the malt in this ale still makes is presence. Finishes dry and hoppy, mostly the pine notes but the citrus lingers on the palate.

Full bodied and dangerous to drink haha! Slightly slick on the tongue.

Over all this Ale is Arrogant and perfect for arrogant bastards like me!! Major thumbs up!!!

10-16-2011 05:02:07 | More by Luigi
FairyFunBoy

4.85/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my go to beer. Having the luxury to live in San Diego gives me the pleasure of picking up this liquid gold for cheap.

A- Dark red/copper with a beige head. Great lacing down the pint.
S- Burst of hops! Citrus, pine, and grass smells aplenty with a sweet malt backing.
T- Bitter citrus hops accompanied with sweet malt and molasses.
M- Smooth, great carbonation, satisfyingly "thick"
O- If you haven't had this beer, get it. It is the sole reason I became the huge hop head I am. Huge hops with huge sweet malt. It's a perfect pairing. My favorite from Stone.

05-23-2013 02:25:23 | More by FairyFunBoy
Shiredave

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

Damn this stuff is good! For a hop head like myself, this beer approaches perfection.
Slightly hazy, deep ruby color with slow, lazy trickles of carbonation. Frothy, pale tan head that left thick, clumpy lace at the top of the glass. Strong aromas of citrusy hop and fresh wort sweetness and ....more stuff. Initial flavors of juicy plums and cherries with maple and brown sugary grain that quickly blends easily with intense hop flavors of fresh oranges and ground pepper. This beer is aggressivly and arrogantly hopped yet still achieves just amazing balance. The strong, bitter finish is softened by left over roasty sweetness that makes you suck at the roof of your mouth to suckle every drop. I can honestly say I enjoyed this bottled version just as much ( tho, side by side taste test would be cool) the draft I sampled at the now infamous Blind Tiger 12, 12 @ 12 NYC Stone event. Now... the oak aged Arrogant Bastard.....that was a special thing indeed.

03-20-2003 21:33:21 | More by Shiredave
wailingwench

New Mexico

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

Foam factor: Poured a beautiful crimson brown with a white billowy head that entertained me untill the last drop. I could stare at a pint of this all night, it's that pretty.

Skunk Factor: Big, bold, and complex. Floral hops with malt undertones gave way to citrus.

Tongueland: Mr. Tongue danced for joy. It is amazing to see a tongue do the Electric Slide. Anyways, the comlexity of this beer was amazing. Started off similar to one of my favorites, Wailing Wench (my namesake!!!). Bold hops overpowered with malt kicking in, and finally hops again. It felt like there was a boxing match in my mouth. Arrogant impressed me as if finished like an Ellicotville Pale Ale, all grapefruit. This fools your pre-frontal cortex into thinking that you are merely drinking grapefruit juice, and thus, can drink as much as you want.

I feel like a crack addict. I know that Arrogant is on tap not even 2 miles from my house. Arrogant is so good that I had to hide my wallet and car keys in order to avoid a bender. I have thought about walking, and would have been down at the bar drinking, instead of writing a review, except for the alligator filled moat that I built to keep my butt at my house, and not down at the bar.

04-30-2004 19:43:53 | More by wailingwench
kmcnair

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

Sampled on tap at my house, from the kegerator. Booyah.

Bastard pours a rich redish brown color and makes a thick offwhite head. Head retention is great and laces the glass nicely all the way down. Smell is rich and inviting. Heavily roasted and malty aromatics fill my nose. Flavor opens up bitter and spicy, and then the rich and roasted character appears again with a nice layering of hop flavor and finishes with a malty sweetness. This beer is so unique, the flavor profile is really unlike any other beer I have ever tried. Mouthfeel is medium to full and leaves a slight sticky coating on the throat, warming as it goes down. Arrogant Bastard is incredibly tasty, drinkable and in my opinion a nice session beer... cause frankly you can't drink much else after the havok this wreaks on your pallate.

08-03-2004 05:42:34 | More by kmcnair
Jacobob10

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

Great appearance. Pours out a ruby color with a light tan head. A slight amount of lacing left on the glass, but great head retention. The aroma was full of caramel and molasses combined with citrus hops. Reminded me mostly of grapefruit. This is a full bodied beer with a creamy/chewy texture. Lively carbonation with a light alcoholic finish. Very heavy on the palate, but it coats your mouth very well. I would definitely want to try some more of these. But be careful, this beer will leave you a little tipsy!

Overall, a superb domestic brew with a lot of complexity. A must try!

08-18-2004 01:44:46 | More by Jacobob10
Morningstar

Washington

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

I really love this beer. The first time I tasted it, I knew I would enjoy this ale for many years to come. I really like crisp taste it has. Definitely a beer to enjoy after a long day. It goes well with chicken and buffalo wings. It's well worth the search for a store that carries it.

04-18-2005 03:16:53 | More by Morningstar
SwillinBrew

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

One of my favorite brews so i thought i'd finally review it. Had on tap at Heroes in Fullerton.

A - a beautiful rich mohogany copper with a solid finger of bone white head. Nice lace down my glass. Color is really fantastic.
S - Mmmm, you will salivate. A wall of crisp grapefruit hit your nose then leans over towards a sweeter malt on the end... but the grapefruit is still present.
T - More grapefruit and you definitely know the hops are still here. Citrus grapefruit invade your tonge leading towards a milder sweet plum or dark fruit flavor. A great taste for damn sure.
M&Dr - Mouthfeel is solid with perfect carbonation that is ever present like scrubbing bubbles, not harsh but smooth if you can believe. I can drink this until i fall like a fresh cut tree. Way to go Stone.

12-19-2005 00:53:28 | More by SwillinBrew
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.