Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 9,803 | Reviews: 2,966

I'll have you know, Mr. Gargoyle, I AM WORTHY and I love your Beer. Top 10 on my personal list - best beer by Stone in my opinion.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From one of my earliest reviews:
As soon as I crack open the bottle I instantly can smell the hoppy goodness that is within. As I sip the beer I taste notes of grapefruit. It appears to be a dark amber like color and it definitely goes down very smooth.
O: I hope to try this beer again as it was the first "craft" beer that I ever had. I need to revamp my above review from January of 2015

3.8/5  rDev -8.7%

Bought this on a whim at my local Market Basket. I vaguely remember having this in my formative drinking years and not liking it, but now that I am a bit older and (somewhat) wiser I needed to give it another try.

L- Nice and brown/ruby red, thick head dissipates after a few minutes but with nice lacing (4).

S- Malt, sweet sweet malt. Some prunes, deep dark fruits (grapes), and some light chocolate in there as well. (4)

T- Malty, hoppy bite, sweet sugary finish. The sweetness is from the caramel malts I am guessing, a little cloying as the glass wears on. (3.5)

F- This is not a pounding beer; medium-full body, very filling. (4)

O- This is the same hoppy, malty, sweet brew that I remember from my early drinking years. I still enjoy it! (4)

3.24/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Good easy to find beer heavy malt backbone a little over priced but good none the less

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Tried once years ago when I got into the beer scene and recall not caring for it. Now that I've sampled quite the scope, this beer comes off as a great-feeling malty/ caramel ale that pops with a sharp dose of piney/ citrusy hops.
Drinks easy for a 7%+ brew. Reminded of Celebration by Sierra Nevada for some reason, although I suppose this is more aggressive with the hops and grainy as well. It lived up to its description the first try years back. Now I can see it in a different light. Well-made.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Good but very overrated. Go bills!!

4.54/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Raw, uncompromising, pine and grapefruit, spicy, crisp, fresh.
Arrogant Awesomeness!

4.16/5  rDev 0%

Pours a hazy amber into the glass. The description arrogantly tells me I won't like it, but I do. ...and unlike this beer, I am legitimate. So, here we have an arrogant beer that is an illegitimate son liked by a legitimate son who brews...does my drinking this beer legitimize it and remove any stigma that it has, thus rendering it's name irrelevant? ..or does drinking the beer de-legitimize me? Buy a 22 oz bottle, drink it and think deep thoughts about unmarried parents and beer.....

3.3/5  rDev -20.7%

Too much pine taste for me

4.59/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Great ale. A tad over priced. Excellent treat once in a while.

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful deep red-brown color. Piney, caramel taste. Strong hop taste. Nice white-tan finger width head.

1.5/5  rDev -63.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

Good idea to barrel age beers but there's no barrel presence at all. Its like they put in the barrel for 48 hours then bottled. I will never look at stone's beers the same after this ruse

4.79/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Great beer. Strong citric and hops taste!

3.25/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Like described "you probably won't like it"

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

Super dark as rich with flavor, you have to like this type of beer to enjoy it

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz Brown bottle with pry-off cap and best by date of 08/01/15. Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a deep mahogany with 1 finger of head

Smell: Piney and earthy hops

Taste: Hop flavors of pine and spruce with some caramel and bread malt in the middle and finish

Mouthfeel: Sticky hop finish

Overall: I finally got around to this review. A classic that I believe was the first stone beer I ever had. I just reached a stirring realization, that this is essentially original stone pale ale on steroids and seriously hopped up. The same caramel malt notes are present but the hops take over. This may be overshadowed by newer beers, but this is a classic that still kicks ass.

4.37/5  rDev +5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Awesome beer, beautiful looking. I almost get more enjoyment out of looking at it. Good overall beer, and a great starter for someone trying to get into craft ale.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of my go to beers. It's a beer that drinks like, a meal. Very robust and full flavored. The only true Arrogance about it is its price.

4.17/5  rDev +0.2%

It's a beautiful ale, every bit deserving of its praise

3.89/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Nice hoppy , falvor , and clean beer

4.04/5  rDev -2.9%

Good strong ale from stone. Can't go wrong here. Bold flavor. Nor for beginner ipa students. Buy this when you think you're ready

4.26/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Probably the beer that got me started into craft. A classic!

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I love this beer.
The appearance is a deep reddish brown.
The aroma is hops in your face with a spicy scent.
The taste is upfront and personal with a dank hoppy punch.
The mouthfeel is heavy and rich.
There is nothing sweet about this beer. If you love bitter hops and a strong ale, this is for you.

Poured out of a bottle (with an Enjoy By date by the way - August 8, 2015) into an old fashioned glass.

4.78/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Awesome! The label says it all.

4.04/5  rDev -2.9%

Toffee and juicy hops. Bitter. Seems a bit thinner than it used to.

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.