Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,914 | Hads: 9,986
4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

Brown Bomber with a fun and humorous label. I could not find any freshness dating. I purchased this at an Albertson’s in Beaumont, TX of all places.

The beer pours a nice bronze with a decent head and excellent lacing.

The beer smells of slightly roasted and smoked malts. Hints of pine and citrus round out the aroma.

The taste is finely balanced and fairly complex. The initial impression is sweetness followed by a medium hop bite. Hints of caramel and smoky molasses. The beer becomes bitterer as it warms and I get a little bit of background fruit (plum) taste. The taste just coats your mouth, which is ok by me.

Smooth silky mouthfeel with excellent low carbonation, which seems to suit this beer perfectly. This is a very easy beer to drink and is enjoyable from start to finish. Glad I finally got my hands one!

4.32/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a very dark thick-looking amber, but not quite brown. Big puffy head on this one, laces the glass. It smells so good I don't want to drink it. Just kidding, of course I do. Tastes good, not exactly what I was expecting for some reason. I thought it would be more "arrogant." The hops are defintely in full effect, with a mellow malt backdrop. A little piney/grapefruity taste to it. As it goes down I can pick up on the alchohol and there's a likeable bitterness to it, maybe that's the arrogant part? Mouthfeel is pretty standard (for good beer that is), nothing exceptional, but it's a good feeling. I could definately drink this beer all night, it's very good. I think I was expecting to be shocked by something out of this world judging by the other reviews... This is a sturdy, tasty beer, worthy of enjoying for sure.. but I won't be craving it like I do some of my other favorites.

Edit: I've since changed my mind about the Bastard. It's bumped up from "good beer" to "kick ass beer". I think maybe I was looking for some sort of crazy intense taste when I tried it the first time and therefore overlooked the fact that this is an incredible awesomely balanced beer, with a bite. And I definately do crave it frequently, in contradiction to what the original review says. Go git it!

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

This was a growler, consumed about 5 hours after initial pouring.

Beer poured a clear, deep amber with generous 2 inch tan head. Head thinned to thin film fairly quickly but never went away entirely. It also left generous lacing for 3/4 of the beer.

I've had this beer many times, so I knew to leave it to warm up for a couple of minutes before I started drinking it.

Smell is a combination of deep malt and light citrusy hops. Heavy alcohol in the nose as well.

Taste is incredibly intense. Starts off with a heavy 1-2 punch of sharp malt and very bitter hops. Other flavors come in the middle,
Fruit (mostly plum) and floral. Strong alcohol flavor in the middle as well.

Finish is very strongly bitter, but not unpleasant.

I lowered the drinkability score simply because this beer is simply too intense to drink a lot of in one sitting.

An excellent beer to server with meals.

3.97/5  rDev -4.8%

This is a powerful brew and a joy to drink. For me, it a beer to enjoy occasionally but one I look forward to savoring. The magnum hops are a delight for the hop lovers. The aroma was rich and pungent. The malty background is smooth. The head was minimal. The color was warm brown and inviting.

3.57/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured a reddish brown with steady carbonation. Thick off-white head, good lacing.

The smell is sweet malt with a hint of grape Kool-Aid. A little creamy smell as well.

The taste starts with a hop wallop and malt slap. Then other flavors waft in and out. A carmel cream flavor, grape Kool-Aid, and chocolate liquer, are floating about in there.

The mouthfeel is a little harsh. A strong alcohol taste and a good hop bite. This one's not for everybody.

Drinkability is low, by design I think, there's a lot to this beer, and most of it is in your face.

4.85/5  rDev +16.3%

Stone could pee in a bottle, hop it up and I would probably drink it. Their beer are nothing if not extraordinary. Read the bottle first, the copy sends shivers of apprehension up your spine-Am I worthy? As it turns out, yes! Pours a beautiful garnet color with a lingering head and tons of lacing on my goblet. Malt and hops fight it out for the nose. An immediate punch in the mouth of hops. Raisens, moist fruit cake, port? Very complex and intense. I savored every drop. Like all dank beers, it should be drank cellar temp. I have a few of em stashed in the cellar, can't wait to see what time does to this Stone potion!

3.93/5  rDev -5.8%

This was my first Stone beer and I finally understand all of the comments about how extreme they are. From a 22 oz. bomber bottle, it poured a beautiful mahogany color (one of the best looking colors I've seen), very clear, with a small head that remained in some capacity throughout the drink and left nice lacing as I drank. From the fridge, the aroma was slightly sweet with a big citrus punch and the smell of new carpeting (anyone else get that - beermail me). As it warmed, more malty aromas became evident - raisins, brown sugar, fresh bread. The taste at first nearly knocked me on my ass. I wasn't ready (and mabye "not worthy" as the bottle suggests) for what I experienced. The first taste started out slightly sweet and all of a sudden, my tongue was blasted with a bitterness I've never experienced before; it stayed with me for longer than any other bitter taste in my life. Cold from the fridge, this thing is a hop monster and seemingly nearly out of balance. As it warms, it really starts to come to life though. It gets sweeter and fruitier and either the bitter hops begin to fade or you just get used to the punch they pack... I'm still not sure. Either way, this is a very complex and balanced (but to the extreme) beer. Mouthfeel is medium carbonation, medium bodied, smooth and creamy - really nice. I knocked it down a notch on drinkability because the flavors are so extreme that it can be challenging to drink and the high ABV starts warming you up pretty quickly. I drank the second part of this bomber alongside a bowl of really spicy, cajun (no tomatoes) jambalaya which contained andouille sausage, chicken, peppers and onions, drenched in hot sauce and it stood up to it and complimented it extremely well. This beer would be great alongside any big flavor foods.

4.74/5  rDev +13.7%

I love this beer a-lot. I wish that I could buy it locally here in Arkansas, but hey I can't have my cake and eat it too can I?
22oz bottle that you can't bring yourself to throw away, however you can only keep so many.
Pours a beautiful amber copper color witha nice perfectly formed head with great retention and then to top it off great lacing. The smell comes in big with malty sweetness and a big citrusy hops aroma. The taste is also big with malty sweetness and citrusy hops with a hint of rasins from the special B malt that I think they probably use. The mouthfeel is pure bliss for big beer/big hops lovers. I could drink these all day, or at least until I passed out. Did I mention that I love this beer? I highly recommend it to anyone that hasn't tried it.

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

22 oz bottle.
Pours a dark muddy copper color, with a decent tan head. Spotty lacing.
Citrus and pine dominate the aroma, with some raisin hiding in the back.
Flavor starts off malty sweet with a grapefruity finish.
Alcohol is well hidden, until you finish the bottle. :-)

4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

The bottle design is great. I love the copy on the back. What a great touch. It adds to the beer. Stone rocks.

This beer pours a deep mahogany color with a hearty, tan-colored head. The head tenaciously clings to every inch of the glass. The aroma is reminiscent of warm pumpernickel bread ... and a good bit of honey. A stout flavor, with strong overtones of yeast and hops. Just the right amount of smooth and creamy. A very hearty, well-made ale. I quite enjoyed it. Highly recommended to anyone who enjoys darker beer.

4.31/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Great appearance. Pours out a ruby color with a light tan head. A slight amount of lacing left on the glass, but great head retention. The aroma was full of caramel and molasses combined with citrus hops. Reminded me mostly of grapefruit. This is a full bodied beer with a creamy/chewy texture. Lively carbonation with a light alcoholic finish. Very heavy on the palate, but it coats your mouth very well. I would definitely want to try some more of these. But be careful, this beer will leave you a little tipsy!

Overall, a superb domestic brew with a lot of complexity. A must try!
Edited on 3/20/2015. Dropped the rating from 4.82 to 4.31 after having it again recently.

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

Presentation: 22 oz bottle poured into a 20 oz glass.

Appearance: Mahogany colored beer with nice amount of head. Excellent clarity.

Smell: Grapefruity hop aroma with some malt creeping through.

Taste: Wow! This is hoppy. If you love big citrusy American hops (and I do) then this is for you. Hop flavor dominates, but there is some sweet maltiness as well. This beer has an aggressively hoppy taste.

Overall impression: If you love high alcohol, heavily hopped beers, this is for you.

4.02/5  rDev -3.6%

Bottle: Poured a deep opaque brown colored beer with a medium head with standard retention. Aroma is very powerful and consist mostly of what I think to be hops, a sweet and bitter type of hops though. Taste is quite unique for me (I think this is my first foray into the strong American Ale type) and consist mostly of some strong bitter hops and underline by some very subtle sweetness. Wow, this is like being hit on the head with a brick – plainly lots of malt and hops are included in here. The alcohol is a subtle but complement very well.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Wow! Pours a beautiful dark clear amber! nice head, with some retention
Smells of malt hops and fruit,quite complex and lovely.
taste, is fairly well balanced, but a big wallop, of both hops and malt, if you want a big taste, this is it! and it has the best of both worlds(hops&malt) dueling it out!
Mouthfeel is very pleasant, well carbonated, crisp with a bit of creamyness also.
drinkability, I'm not sure?,... It IS a class act, but I don't think, I could put down too many of these, but just to sip a couple, is an experience you should not miss!!! excellent!

4.72/5  rDev +13.2%

This beer has forced me to begin reviewing again. Finally got my hands on a load of west coast brews and my taste buds have been resurrected. This beer is great to look at, but the real treat is the taste.

Smells hoppiers than it tastes. Hints of fruit, but that does not seem to figure prominently in the taste department either.

Thick, in a malty way, with some hops in the background. Really not your typical ale. Undertones of brown sugar and some spice. The taste stays with you for a bit - but that's a good thing. The mouthfeel is exceptionally smooth considering the ABV. Would love to get a try of this tremendoous brew on tap.
Keep it up Stone.

4.32/5  rDev +3.6%

Oi! This beer lives up to it's name... pouring this at a party from its massive bottle attracts a crowd. Surely enough, curious people ask to try... and the reaction is usually priceless... especially from girls sipping on malternatives. I think one of them actually gagged. Nevertheless, I had to bite my tongue from declaring "YOU'RE NOT WORTHY!!!!" And now no girls will taste anything I have in my hand, it is glorious.

If that doesn't give you an idea of this beer... I'll continue. Aggressive, wonderful, hoppy, spicy, caramel, creamy, fruity at times, alcohol comes through just a little bit. Stone Brewery is a godsend.

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

Sampled on tap at my house, from the kegerator. Booyah.

Bastard pours a rich redish brown color and makes a thick offwhite head. Head retention is great and laces the glass nicely all the way down. Smell is rich and inviting. Heavily roasted and malty aromatics fill my nose. Flavor opens up bitter and spicy, and then the rich and roasted character appears again with a nice layering of hop flavor and finishes with a malty sweetness. This beer is so unique, the flavor profile is really unlike any other beer I have ever tried. Mouthfeel is medium to full and leaves a slight sticky coating on the throat, warming as it goes down. Arrogant Bastard is incredibly tasty, drinkable and in my opinion a nice session beer... cause frankly you can't drink much else after the havok this wreaks on your pallate.

4.68/5  rDev +12.2%

Dark ruby red color. Made me think of blood for some reason. Wonderfully sweet, fruity smell. Sweet beginning rapidly becomes an intense (but not too intense) bitterness. Nicely balanced. This place had a great selection of beer on tap, but I every time I looked the beer list over, I found myself ordering another Bastard. Goes down very easily. Maybe due to the slightly lower ABV for a IIPA? Hope it is as good in bottles.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

On-tap at the Innsbrook Capital Ale House.

Imagine my surpise when I checked the "Dorkmaster 9000" (i.e. my Treo300 with my beer reviews downloaded into it...I know, I need help but it's very handy when out and about and acutally quite discreet) and noticed that I'd not sampled the Bastard on-tap. Time to fix that oversight!

Still the same amber darkness with a tight tannish-colored head. Aromas are complex. Lots of hop notes with a firmly established malt base. This carries into the flavor. At first the hops lie dormant, lulling you into a false sense of security. But they quickly rise up and pounce upon your unsuspecting palate. This hop bitterness isn't going anywhere and it stays entrenched on your palate all the way through the finish. Delightful. Excellent mouthfeel and carbonation. A fixture for me from now on whenever I visit the Ale House(s).

4.23/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Deep dark red with a creamy tan head and a mild hoppy smell. A very smooth and well balanced beer though somewhat on the hoppy side - tart citrusy taste and hops you can really notice, but then again it's also got a notcieable sweet and malty flavor. This beer goes down really, really easy with a clean crisp finish. I would probably go so far as to say the Arrogant Bastard is the Great Wallenda of balanced ales (well, before his tragic end anyway.) Super refreshing, I don't think it's as strong with the hops as some people, maybe it was the tap, or the beers I had beforehand....

4.52/5  rDev +8.4%

Clear dark amber in color with a medium height and thick head that dissipates quickly. The aroma is fruity, green grapes and dried apricots with a nice chocolate aspect thrown in.
A bold minty roasted malt initial flavor remains to the finish. Chocolate and bitter, herby hops join in at mid-taste and continue to the end.Fades as a bread-like flavor rounds out the taste. Leaves a lingering minty chocolate taste on the sides of the mouth. Thick body with excellent carbonation and a very good balance.
Very enjoyable beer overall. Heavy on the hops, with just enough malt to balance it out.

4.41/5  rDev +5.8%

Nirvana. Pure and simple. This wondrous beer pours out a deep, cloudy, reddish-brown with a decent head of almond color. The bottle alone is worth commenting on. Etched glass instead of the typical stick-on label. This is a collector's item bottle. The smell is strong with tons of sweet malt and maybe some honey. Quite nice. Taste is a complex mixture of overwhelming malty sweetness that is quickly extinguished by a huge bitterness. The finish is strongly bitter and fairly dry. The bitterness lasts several minutes beyond your most recent swallow... if you can wait that long that is! Mouthfeel is exactly what I like... it is something akin to eating a sandwhich. Carbonated to just the right amount...not even close to flat, but definitely not overly carbonated. This is not your average beer by a far stretch. I actually attempted to homebrew a batch of beer that tasted fairly similar to Arrogant Bastard. The difference? Stone Brewery got it right and I really screwed it up! This is one for the books... drink it alone, with friends, at a movie, in the park... you can't go wrong with this one. But a word of caution... this isn't for everyone (just like the bottle says). You really have to like high ABV, extremely bitter beers to venture into this territory!

4.23/5  rDev +1.4%

This is quite possibly the most gorgeous beer I've ever had from the bottle. Rich luxurious dark amber, topped by a copious solid tan, super thick and chewy head. The head is amazing. So dense. Just beautiful. The nose is full of sweet malt and vinous alcohol, with the earthy hops taking a secondary role. The taste begins with a smooth mild carbonation, then a rich malty, caramel and sugary beginning. It then shows its vinous alcohol, like whisky. The bitterness is heavy but the hop flavor is restrained to let the malt shine through. So smooth except for the whisky part. So chewy. Full bodied.

This brew is so thick and rich and chewy... I can see how it led up to the Double Bastard, which I still like better. The whisky taste is appropriate for the style I suppose, though not exactly to my taste. I had the Oaked Bastard at the Real Ale festival and didn't like it, and perhaps part of it was because it was so unexpected. Overall one of the best beers I've had from a bottle.

3.6/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

App: Very dark brown/black. Thick, creamy head.

Smell: Strong hops. Caramel malt. Smells thick. Slight coffee.

Taste: Very complex. Bitter, chewy hops assault throughout. The hops are perfectly matched with thick, dark chocolate/coffee malt. The aftertaste is powerfully bitter. Like eating extra bitter dark chocolate.

Mouthfeel: This beer is so thick and chewy that it is best consumed with a fork.

Drinkability: I don't think that this beer was designed to have more than one or two.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

I had this out of 22 oz brown bottle in a pint glass. Classic Stone gargoyle representation on the front of the bottle with the slogan "You're Not Worthy". Well, it's a Friday afternoon and I'm ready to dig into this beer.

I grabbed this beer out of the refridgerator and let it sit for about 15 minutes. The appearance is a full colored dark red, borderline brown. Marvelous head on top.

This is a super hopped and rich ale. One of the smoothest 7.2% ABV beers that I've tasted yet. Nicely complex with so many different flavors hitting your palate at once. I taste sweetness in the beginning and bitterness at the end.

Honestly, it's hard for me to compare this beer to anything else. It's in a category by itself. Highly recommended for those who love highly hopped beer with balls.

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.