1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,461 | Reviews: 2,739 | Show All Ratings:
paceyourself

Connecticut

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%

This is my second taste of a Stone brew and so much better than my first(Ruination IPA).
The tan head disappeared slowly to show the clear copper-red color. The aroma was very odd, a soft chalky pine smell like no other i've had before. A sweet caramel taste sticked to the inside of my mouth and then the hoppy bitterness took over in a big way. Damn i love this brew! A very enjoyable almost oily bitter taste lingers for a long time. I do think i'm worthy of drinking Arrogant Bastard on a regular basis, so PLEASE Stone bring your brews to conn.. Thanks Morris729 for the sample.

01-13-2003 17:19:47 | More by paceyourself
WanderingFool

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

The bottle ain't kidding when it say's "this is an aggressive beer." Lots of flavor found in each sip. The beer pours a coppery color in the glass with a nice tan foam head that dissolves to a sheet of lace on the surface. A nice malty aroma with hints of caramel and orange peel hovers above the beer. Each chewy sip begins malty, then moves to caramel, pine, and what I would describe as orange peel, before finishing off with a bitter hoppy flavor. A sticky slighty bitter taste lingers after each sip.

This is a very good well balanced medium to full bodied beer. I find it to be very filling which leaves little room for another bottle. Definitly a beer not for beginners (i.e. macro beer drinkers!)

01-12-2003 13:28:42 | More by WanderingFool
Dmann

4.93/5  rDev +17.9%

Wow! After all of my friends hyping this beer up I took the plunge and and I ever glad I did! This has got to be the best smelling beer I have ever had. After I poured it, I let it sit for awhile and warm a bit and took in the aroma that had hints of pine and carmel. The beer bursted with flavor once it hit my mouth and just opened up, dominated by hops but I could taste the malt sneek in there before the great hoppy finnish. I'm glad this is a year 'round brew because it will be a regular in my fridge from now on.

01-11-2003 01:52:52 | More by Dmann
putnam

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

Brown.

Smells like kitty litter and Febreeze. (?!) Wierd. There are some beer-like smells too: caramel, copper pennies, bread etc. But the hops are so oily-strong that it veers into the household cleaner realm. Flavors are similar but with a rewarding finish of hot, buttery caramel. Not sweet. Bitter. Not subtle. An extreme style, I think, as opposed to poorly executed, which keeps it in the top quartile of beers. An impressive display.

01-08-2003 16:17:28 | More by putnam
yen157

4.95/5  rDev +18.4%

Sticky off-white head about 1/4 inch think. Dark, deep red in color. This was one of the most delicious smelling beers I've ever come across. Very fragrant hop aroma and plenty of other scents to keep the nose busy. Among them were toasted grains and fruit, mango I believe. The bitterness was huge at first, but after the first sip it seems appropriate due to the thick, dark malt flavor. The toastiness of the malt was certainly complimented by the lime-peel hop flavor. I noticed faint smoke somewhere in this complex brew. Somewhere towards the end of the extremely long finish, some retro-nasal coconut and diacetyl were noticed.

This was my first experience with the beer and the brewery. I’m glad to say that it all lived up to the hype. Thanks to TXHops for the beer.

01-01-2003 18:58:23 | More by yen157
StevieW

4.78/5  rDev +14.4%

22 oz bomber bottle. Silkscreen demonic looking bastard on the front. He's been looking at me everytime I open my beer fridge since last May. I have been saving this bastard for a special occasion.

Dark copper to mahogany in color. Rich creamy tan head. Huge hop bubbles bust through. Initial smell was striking. Heavily hopped, but somewhat acidic and very harsh. My first instinct, was that the beer had gone bad. Not so. The smell eased off a bit, and made the beer more inviting.

Taste is a tongue grabbing experience like none other. Super, super, smooth malty goodness. Some toffee, carmel malt sweetness is present. Full rich malty presence, super smooth, and rich. Also some slighltly roasted fruit, plums, figs, earthyness. Reminiscent of a strong belgian ale, but slightly different more subtle flavors. Then the super charged hop kick strikes your taste buds, and doesn't ever let go. Bitterness lingers, and lingers, puckering your cheeks toward the end, but begging you for another drink. Perfectly carbonation, medium to full bodied. The flavors never waver one bit. Despite the strong flavors and mammoth hop burps, this beer had me unconsciously reaching for the glass again and again. It had my elbowing aching from tilting it, and sending rambling beermails to JohnnyP for unknown reasons.
Well worth the wait, and worth seeking out again and again.

01-01-2003 15:41:43 | More by StevieW
johnrobe

Tennessee

3.93/5  rDev -6%

Well I finally worked up the nerve to pop the cap off the Bastard. It pours a gorgeous deep mahogany in the glass with a massive, rocky, light tan head leaving a whole lotta lace. The aroma whacks you in the nose with brown sugary malt, fruity esters (some pineapple) and citrusy hops. In the taste, Malt and Hops are nicely balanced, though the ostentatious bitterness is a bit overwhelming at first. It's best to let this brew flex its muscles (i.e. breathe) for a few minutes. Huge caramel and fruit show up in the taste (like caramel coated apples) with plenty of citric hoppy bitterness to keep the brew from being cloyingly sweet. It loses points in drinkability just for being such a hugely rich and heavy brew. I'm full and content, no need for another.

12-23-2002 22:40:47 | More by johnrobe
49degrees

British Columbia (Canada)

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

An exceptional dark amber ale fully of character and a striking amount of hops. "This is an aggressive" beer says the label, and I'll vouch that it doesn't lie. I had this beer on tap several weeks back and really enjoyed it but found that it was surprinsingly close to Mac & Jacks African Amber Ale. Being able to sit back and relax with a bottle in hand and the time and place to actually take some better notes to review it, I'm guessing my notes were wrong, or I was poured the wrong beer. (As such, I've resubmitted my review for this beer).

From the bottle, Arrogant Bastard doesn't look, smell or taste like Mac & Jacks, it's far superior. AB pours a deep reddish hue with a big white rocky head. Glass lacing is extensive.

Aroma wise, this one carries a very enjoyable hoppy kick, hints of fruit, and complex malts. It doesn't carry the pine hit that the Ruination IPA offers, which helps to make this a much more rounded ale which can be savored in more than one serving per sitting.

On the palette, the hops and malts are creatively balanced, providing hints of fruit, toasted malts and a slight peppery smokiness to it. Despite its edgy hoppiness, the malt factor kicks in to really make this an exceptionally well rounded ale that can be enjoyed again and again.

Great balance worth a closer look for those who have yet to venture into the grip of the Arrogant Bastard.

(ADDENDUM: 12/27/02 I had the opportunity to visit a place called Fogg & Suds on the outskirts of Vancouver, BC the other day, and to my astonishment this place is "trying" to fetch $30.00cdn for a bottle of this stuff. Buyer beware. Arrogant Bastard is great stuff, but it should be obtainable for less than 1/3 the price being asked for here.) <sigh>

12-23-2002 17:41:07 | More by 49degrees
Jon

4.7/5  rDev +12.4%

Pours a dark, clear copper color with a nice tan-hued head. Leaves giant trails of lace down the glass. Smell is very inviting with big notes of fresh hops, caramel malt, etc. This is an incredibly tasty brew. Hops hit you at first, followed by a more than sufficient caramel malt backbone that supports the bitterness nicely. Mouthfeel is quite smooth and for a brew of its magnitude (7.2%), AB drinks quite easily. I'm glad I finally got to try this one. Arrogance is bliss.

12-21-2002 19:38:52 | More by Jon
LarryV

4.78/5  rDev +14.4%

This is an amazingly balanced brew. Pours a nice reddish amber with a big head that lasts a long time. Complex flavor that never seems to be overbearing - the malt and hops balance out nicely in what seems to be a fight for dominance. I found myself drinking this slowly and savoring each sip, revelling in the complexities. Very tasty brew. Even inspired me to write a blues tune called Arrogant Bastard :) Available at

12-16-2002 06:10:26 | More by LarryV
purplehops

Maine

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This bastard pours a nice copper red with a foamy tan head that's not going away. The head last for the whole time it takes to drink it. The aroma is of floral hops with undertones of sweet malt and citrus. The taste starts with a hop bite that flows into a rich sweet malt. The finish is hop bitterness with hints of pear and alcohol. The aftertaste lingers for quite awhile with a nice balance of carmel malts, floral hop bitterness and touches of alcohol warmth. The mouthfeel is smooth and enjoyable. This is a great ale. It may be a bit bitter for some but it isn't out of balance. At 7.2% abv it will get your attention and warm your cockles.

12-14-2002 09:38:07 | More by purplehops
mickstepp

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

I hate to deal in superlatives. Sometimes the best beer you ever had is the one sitting in front of you right now. Still and all Arrogant Bastard induces just such "irrational exuberance". The hops would be over the top if it weren't for all the supporting complexity. This beer is a workout for the tongue because every taste bud gets to participate. There is a very faint malty sweetness in the background. And a bit of effervesence. Also some interesting herbal and vegetal notes. The alcohol is clearly distinguishable (though not distracting). And by the way, did I mention the hops.

I'm drinking this on draught and intend to find out if the bottled version passes muster.

It's even a pretty beer. Dark copper color. Moderate head and a nice cascading, layered lace as it goes down in the glass. And it does go down. Much too quickly. Almost perfect. But as I said, I shy away from superlatives.

12-06-2002 17:21:24 | More by mickstepp
jward

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

What a wonderful appearance this beer has. The color is reddish-brown, with a thick tan head, and beautiful lacing. The promised "arrogance" is disguised a bit by a deceptively woodsy-sweet nose, and a luscious, creamy texture. The nose also suggests an aroma of apple. The flavor is assertive and hoppy, with a forceful, lingering bitterness in the finish. For the style, the hops could be toned down somewhat for my tastes. But, in keeping with the warning on the label, perhaps I'm just not yet "worthy."

12-04-2002 16:45:33 | More by jward
HossMcGraw

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

This beer almost brought a tear to my eye the first time I tried it. It's that good. The intense hops and malt in AB are just beautifully balanced and complex. The hop bite in the flavor is remarkable. The head is enormous, and the aftertaste is amazing. This just might knock Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout out of the coveted "Best Beer I've Tried So Far" designation. The only question is where do I go from here? Be careful when you're drinking beer that's this good.

12-01-2002 00:11:02 | More by HossMcGraw
Jarod

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

It poured into the glass a dark red/brown color. The head was a thick and creamy. The lace seemed sticky and clinged to the sides of the glass to the end. The aroma was strong, dominated by hops and toasted grains with a hint of toffee and/or caramel. The flavor was actually very complex it combined a sweet malt, hoppy bitterness with notes of citrus which did not show up on the nose. This was a very good beer to the end.

11-26-2002 09:13:27 | More by Jarod
aaronh

4.58/5  rDev +9.6%

I was comletely shocked by the amount of malt flavors this beer produced! This beautiful red-amber beer was served with a nice head that failed to ever fully subside. It left a nice lace on the glass as well. The aroma was very potent, with hops florals, citrus, and pine notes. The first taste startled me not because of the hops, but because of the excellent balance of maltiness and bitterness. Strong caramel notes were followed by an intense hop presence that left a lingering mitterness on the aftertaste. Every taste followed the same malt - citrus - bitterness trend, from beginning to end of the glass. The mouthfeel was very full, but yet somewhat refreshing with the heavy hop finish. The drinkability was good, as I did not realize the moderate ABV of this beer while drinking. This was a better beer than I had anticipated, and I plan to buy some arrogance again very soon.

11-25-2002 16:33:27 | More by aaronh
AtrumAnimus

2.7/5  rDev -35.4%

This is definately a hop head beer. Very hoppy with a bitter finish. Rather ropugh on the pallate too. I love their logo though. Just not a very clean finish either. Drinkable but definately not on my list of favorites. The aroma is deceptive. Perhaps that is the real problem with this beer. You get the aroma of Hops and are probably expecting more than you get from the taste. Also tastes a lot like it was allowed enough fermentation time. PErhaps if they bottle fermented this beer it would smooth out and be excellent then.

11-25-2002 11:59:13 | More by AtrumAnimus
Kwak

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

Arrogant Bastard Ale
Head :Thick Full almost to thick.
Body :Deep dark almost merki.
Taste :This is one big beer.Full of malt and slight hopps strong
flavor.allot of taste almost confusing.

I'm just sorry I can't get it here!

11-21-2002 16:57:24 | More by Kwak
maxpower

Missouri

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

I love this beer, cascade citrus aroma, pours ruby-brown color,roasted huge malty flavor with a balanced huge hop profile.This is a big ale with a great flavor, I love it, I could drink it daily.

11-21-2002 06:16:46 | More by maxpower
bewareOFpenguin

4.72/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I did not want to like this beer. Everyone raved about it and I thought "so what?" I picked up a bottle, and read the label, "you're not worthy." "And you are?", I thought. It poured dark amber with a nice head. The first sip was exhillerating. I was not quite prepared for this. Mega hops and a BOLD taste. I thought, "this will soon subside." It didn't. The last drink tasted just like the first. I killed the bottle an about an hour and a half. A 22oz usually lasts me 30 minutes if it is my first. Not this time. I enjoyed and savored every gulp. When I finished, I could drink no more. I had only bought one bottle and all my other beers were, "not worthy".

11-19-2002 07:30:30 | More by bewareOFpenguin
Zraly

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

Hoppity hop hop.

Arrogant Bastard pours an amber-red, a nice warm tone to accompany the fiery domination of the hoppy smell. It is a strong, pine smell...Chinook hops perhaps?

The smell was a definate precursor to the taste, this is hop heaven. The malt is a fairly passive backdrop, consisting of a mild caramel note. There is also a particular nuance of alcohol. Otherwise, this is hop-feast galore. This is not a meager ale. No compromises and no apologies. It is flavorful, bold, and well, arrogant.

Hop heads, embrace! A fearless leader has arrived.

11-18-2002 21:54:15 | More by Zraly
Morris729

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a dark reddish brown color with a thick and creamy head that did a superb job of clinging to the sides of the glass while drinking. The aroma, which is quite strong, is dominated by hops and toasted grains with hints of toffee and caramel. The flavor is a complex combination of a malty sweetness and a hoppy bitterness with notes of citrus. It’s very creamy in the mouth and goes down smoothly. A very good brew with a nice price of $3.69 for a 22oz bottle.

11-14-2002 18:11:08 | More by Morris729
Delirium

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This head of tiny bubbles quicky becomes an expanding universe which is gradually swept away in the rising ale below. Smells of sweet apricots, carmel and coffee, which is a deceptive quality of this bitter brew. Drinking this ale without an open nose is like listening to an arguement without knowing the details.

11-05-2002 15:51:42 | More by Delirium
brewdlyhooked13

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

The first time I had this beer, I was not ready for it. I was very new to beers outside of the mega scene, but willing to try. All I remember is bitter and unpleasant. Since then, I've done a lot of tasting and wanted to try this again. Good thing, too, as I realized why the first tasting wasn't so great.

To start out, ABA pours reddish brown, it looks like iced tea in the glass. A one to two finger head which really gives a strong citrus aroma on the nose like maybe orange peel. Don't be too easy on the pour, you want that head to be substantial. Stop halfway to see how the head is forming up and if you've been too gentle and need more foam, pour into the center of the glass instead of down the side.

Okay here's something to try: Once the glass is filled with a nice head hat, lick the foam so it just gets the tip area of the tongue. While some of the hop taste is there, you almost can get a straight fruit taste of what you are smelling. The taste is very citrusy and to me all orange.

The hops certainly prevail once you get past the head, but the citrus stays there also, right through to the aftertaste, which finishes warmly if you'll let this beer get above 55 degrees before you start, which leads me to the point I was alluding to at the top. I think the first time I had ABA it was too cold and the citrus was masked too much. Like night and day, much more enjoyable this time around. Keystone fans... up yours!

11-05-2002 12:55:17 | More by brewdlyhooked13
tigerpaws

South Carolina

3.13/5  rDev -25.1%

Not worthy! I beg to differ, I was not impressed by this beer. As a devout hoprhead I looked forward to this beer and was disapointed. Pours a nice copper color but with almost no head. The aroma is very hoppy which teased me into great expectations. It did have a hoppy taste but it did not vary from first sip to last. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but while I wouldn't turn down another one I would also surely not buy one..............CHEERS

10-27-2002 06:05:14 | More by tigerpaws
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.