Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros

E1D0L0N, Jul 16, 2013

pastramionrye7, Jul 16, 2013
4.19/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

There are several ironies afoot here. First, as a long-time reviewer with over 2,300 reviews under my belt, I have not reviewed this one until now, despite its being one of the most reviewed beers on this site. Second, I HAVE reviewed Double Bastard, which leaves me scratching my head.

From the bottle: Let's come back to that as an edit. I want to drink some beer. "'You're Not Worthy'"; "ar-ro-gance (ar o gans) n. The act or quality of being arrogant; haughty; undue assumption; overbearing conceit."; "This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory - maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it's made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this."; "At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth on an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged they tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale ... even outright attempts to copy it ... but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!"; "Ingredients: Nothing but the finest barley, most aggressive hops, clearest water, our proprietary yeast strain and abundant arrogance."; "QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS? If you don't like this, keep it to yourself - we don;t want to hear from any sniveling yellow-swill-drinkin' wimps, 'cause Arrogant Bastard wasn't made for you."

Larry, the former bartender at Hemingway's in the Oakland section of Pittsburgh, used to refer to this as "The Medicine" because no matter how bad a day (or morning) you might be having, he believed that this would put you "on the Recovery Trail". Ha! He once put down an affluent customer who was waffling over Bud Light, Coors Light or Miller Lite the morning of the guy's daughter's graduation as I looked on, amused as hell, and he poured himself a draught of "The Medicine". Larry, this one's for you!

My pour created just over a finger of dense, foamy, tawny head that sat atop the beer in arrogant defiance of my desire to begin drinking. Color was a garnet-red with NE-quality clarity. Nose was ticklish with its inherent heat along with a toffee-like sweetness. I felt as though I might sneeze for a moment. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full and the heat of the alcohol felt as though it were evaporating on my tongue. I may not be worthy of this beer! Getting past that, I began to take in flavors of anise; dried, dark fruit; caramel/toffee and an odd mintiness. Finish was dry, to the point that it was making me sweat and tear up involuntarily. I could only bow in deference to its glorious intensity. Make sure that you know what you are getting into if you open a bottle of Bastard!

woodychandler, Jul 16, 2013

bcsbeer, Jul 13, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

Brob245, Jul 13, 2013
3.49/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I had this Bastard on Tap at a respectable Irish pub in Decatur, IL.

A- The color scheme for this brew had me questioning myself if I ad it right. The bottom of the glass seemed to be significantly lighter than the top of the glass. The bottom had a deep cherry red color and was quite clear. The top seemed to be almost black and a tad bit cloudy. One finger head that dissipated to thin lacing after letting it sit for a minute of two.

S-Hops was prevalent in the nose. that was the dominant scent while I felt I had some traces of caramel malts and toffee. Smell was consistent throughout the warming of the beer.

T-Hops baby, and damn was there a bunch of it. I am more of a stout and porter fellow and tonight was an exploration into the bitter world of hops. Well I had an experience. I couldn't necessary pick out any other flavors in the beer other than its overwhelming bitterness. There may have been a trace of coffee aftertaste. The bitter just sat in the back of your mouth and didn't leave, quite pronounced.

M-Hard carbonation and a nice thick beer; the kind you scoop out of the glass.

O-I had a ride on the hopsmobile. I don't know if I will be so willing to hop on again. However, that is just due to preference.

AmishLightning, Jul 12, 2013

planbee, Jul 11, 2013

Beermister, Jul 11, 2013

Jas45678, Jul 11, 2013

themegamancave, Jul 10, 2013
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.