Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,901 | Hads: 9,928
4.46/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a deep red amber with a big pillowy head that laces the glass beautifully. Absolutely one of the best looking beers I've ever seen. Smell is subtle, mostly pine scented hops. The taste is complex and assaults your taste buds from every angle. I wonder if that was what was behind the hilarious marketing on the label. You are not worthy...Almost a challenge to the drinker to find something he likes in this cacophony of flavors. I'm not ashamed to say I've fallen for it, because every time I drink this I taste something new...and it's always delicious. (561 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Dark red brown with a thick off white head.

Smell: A little hops, a little caramel, a little malt. Well blended.

Taste: Sweet with malt and caramel. Hoppy and a touch of coffee.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, smooth, dry finish.

Overall: A great beer that is very flavorful. Sweet, but hoppy. One of my favorites. (349 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

greater than one inch cream colored head aloft a deep copper cloudy active brew

hints of dark fruits, earthy tones.

creamy malt flavors, very biscuity, some plum, almost a ginger or root beer tone. Also a noticeable lingering spice finish. Accompanied by, of course, hop bitterness.

Very bubbly, but very snooth; big bodied but easy drinking. delicious (363 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

Appearance: clear amber color with a finger or two tan head

Smell: Sweet (mainly caramel, light toffee) and bready malts, piney and light citrus hops

Taste: Lighter on the malt than i would have guessed from the nose. I get sweet bready malt upfront then mid palate and finish is all piney and bittering hops

Mouthfeel: Medium body and goes down very, very smooth. Pretty aggressive bitterness throughout

Overall: This is an average strong ale for me. The aromas had some promise but i was disappointed in the taste. Theres not enough malt to balance out the hops. I thinks its too hoppy and bitter for the style. I really enjoy a few of Stones' IPAs but i personally feel they are a bit overrated as a whole. Ill probably pass on this one from now on. Cant really go wrong at $5 a bomber though (799 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance: Pours a clear dark brownish red.

Overall: This is a bold and flavorful brew. Has sweet malty flavors and bitter hops for a great combo. Excellent ale. (163 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

L - deep red and clear
S - surprisingly faint to the nose, with more malt than hops present
T - starts of light and works into a strong hop that lingers long on the tongue
F - light body, but not thin
O - The faint nose makes the strong hop character a nice surprise (266 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

- thick long lasting head something i look for
- smells more like a ipa than strong ale but alot of hops!
-taste is a very very hoppy beer the body keeps it from tasting to much like a ipa but top notch flavor!
- feel is a little to much carbonated for me
-overall it is one of my favorite grab and go beers! (308 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Nice sweet caramel smell. It has a good balance of malt and hops. Overall it is a strong and delicious beer. It paired really great with Buffalo wings. yb (154 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a murky garnet color with a sumptuous head of cream-colored froth. The aroma smells primarily of bread and grapefruit, with some caramel and pine resin as well--maybe even some bubblegum if I use my imagination.

The nose is a good forebear of the taste, as pine resin and grapefruit pith are the headliners, making you well aware of their presence from the get-go. The malt does its best to push back though, with flavors of toasted bread and caramel, while the yeast adds a zesty character of its own, making for a rather lively and balanced concoction. The medium-high body and ample carbonation create a full, velvety mouthfeel that takes some of the edge off of the bitterness.

Overall, this is a bold and flavorful brew with a terrific presentation and mouthfeel. The hops are a little heavy-handed for my tastes, but it’s Stone, so I knew what I was getting into. With that said, it’s easy to see why this is one of their flagship brews. (960 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Good dark copper color. Lacks something in taste. Seems like a bit of a burnt raisin finish. Good strong ale. Great head when poured into a pint glass from a bottle. Overall a good beer but not my favorite Stone by a long shot. (229 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -6.2%

Dark ruby color that is crisp and hazy with lots of lace.. A/T piney hop, peach, pie crust, caramel, toffee, citrus.. Slight notice of alcohol.. Good balance with an edge to the bitterness.. Medium body.. Good beer (214 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorites. Very hard hitting and flavorful. Hated it when I first tried it, but bought it a few more times as my pallet grew and now I love it. (153 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Definitely a big beer. It's very bitter but the malts even it out and it has just enough grapefruit in the aftertaste to keep it well-balanced. I'm getting hints of dark fruits on the aftertaste as well. This would be a great beer to have with a hearty German food meal. (270 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +12.4%

Very good beer, but for the faint of heart. If you've never had this style before, the first sip can be intimidating. It's a beer to be sipped and savored, not chugged. Highly recommended. (188 characters)

Pours a clear cooper brown color with a two finger off white head. Aroma is toffee, caramel, and resin. Taste is pine, resin and bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium with a bit of an oily feel. Overall, a very good strong ale that is undeniably stone, no mistaking it. (267 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours a clear, very dark brown. Nice two-finger fluffy brown head with good retention and lacing.
Smell: Sweet caramel, toffee and roasty malt aromas up front, some slight grassy notes in the background.
Taste: the sweet malty flavors slap you in the face on the first sip, but then the bitter piney hops come on for a good combo punch.
Mouthfeel: Thick and kinda chewy, just what you'd expect from the taste. Lingers on the palate long enough to make you want another slap.
Overall: Just a great beer, every time I drink one I remember just how damn good this beer is. Really stands the test of time. Well done, Stone! (632 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -29.2%

This ale is not worthy to reach my stomach. Actually I drank the whole pint poured on tap. It is unremarkable given verbiage on the label. Looked like muddy water. Had nice aroma but not as good as any Stone IPA. Aftertaste was poorly balanced bitterness and sweetness (can't put my finger on it). Lagunitas Brown Shugga is far superior. What a surprise, Stone brews are usually great. (385 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a big boy beer! An enjoyable Strong Ale, but very unique with a lot of nuance. I enjoyed it way more, closer to room temp. Sweet up front with a late bitter bite way after the finish. I can't believe it took so long for me to try this one. (247 characters)

4.18/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a big, badass beer. I don't have much to add to the previous reviews. Arrogant Bastard looks great, smells good, and has layers of tastes. Caramel malts, candy, a bit of coffee and cola. This is definitely not a session beer - it kicks you right in the teeth, then smiles at you. (287 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -15.6%

Pours brown with a fading head.
Nose shows sweet rich malt, caramel, piny and resinous hops.
Similar rich, malty and bitter flavours. Comes off a little abrasive, could use a bit more sweet clean malt. (201 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I will admit this is not the first time I have had this beer. Long ago and many beers back I thought I was up to the task of drinking this beer. Intimidation was the key to the label, but I thought I had a palate that could handle it. I was wrong, it turned out to be a drain pour. I know? Crazy! So many years later here I have returned to see where I am with this one...

Appearance: Nice amber almost brown ale appearance. Head retention is pretty solid as well throughout the imbibing of this bastard.

Aroma: Sweet candied malts, some hop presence but not a lot. This beer reminds me a lot of a dopplebock in that regard. Which the first time I drank it I had no idea what the hell a dopplebock was!

Taste: Sweet candied malts dominate, some bittering hops but nothing really that intense. Its a well rounded beer in that regard. Its a well balanced beer and very tasty.

Overall: I will admit this one has had some cellar time so it might have lost some hop bitterness. I remember it being extremely bitter the first time I tried it. I do not get that this time around. Its pretty well balanced over all and not nearly what the experience I had was the first time around. So, I guess I have lapped this one in its arrogance! Who's the arrogant bastard now? (1,264 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Despite not being a style I would drink regularly, the IPA Hunter® owed it to himself to finally get around to reviewing this legendary beer. I like Stone; after all, they do hops, and they do it well. Getting a lot of fresh-baked bread and sugary sweetness on the nose. A bit like raisin bread, but very subdued. Not overwhelming; simply complimentary. Taste follows the nose, but there's unmistakable citrus hops on the finish. On the real. A bit prickly on the tongue, while not being exhausting or heavy on the mouthfeel. There's a fine line between arrogance and supreme confidence. Stone knew what they were doing with this one. I haven't been this excited while drinking a non-IPA since the last time I saw Lorna Morgan rocking some tasteful lingerie. Larrrrrrge! (771 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

Can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet, it's one of my favorite "go to" beers. Very malty, lots of fresh citrus fruit, and a lovely dry, bitter finish. Fantastic beer + very reasonable price = me coming back time and time again. (231 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: [4.25] Beer is a light brown color in the glass. It appears to be mostly transparent. Forms a nice 1 1/2 finger head. The head is an off-white color and has nice staying power. The beer lists the ABV at 7.2% and a best by date of 2/17/15 (in 10 days).

S: [3.25] Smells of bread and malt. The malt is a sweet smell like brown sugar - but not very intense.

T: [3.50] The beer is malt forward at first with a sweet taste out of the gate. Subsequent sips build the bitter from the hops (I have found this with other Stone beers). If you take it slow the balance works really well. I am not getting specific flavors just the sensations of sweet and bitter.

M: [3.75] This beer has low carbonation - it actually felt like a nitro to me at first. The dominant mouth feel characteristic is the long dry finish.

O: [3.75] The balance is there on this beer. The nose was a little weak and I am not getting specific flavor elements on the taste. Overall it is a well made beer. I would drink it again - but might not seek it out. I think that since it is 10 days from expiration it may have lost some punch on the nose and taste. (1,138 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

DATE TASTED: February 6, 2015... GLASSWARE: HopDevil nonick... OCCASION: Cavs going for thirteen in a row--tying a franchise record?... APPEARANCE: serious dark brown body with steady effervescence; thick as snow, creamy, chunky off-white head that craters and clings... AROMA: instant pineapple and peach erupt; earthier textures blanket the scent with caramel malts and some interesting yeasts... PALATE: a powerful, mouth-awakening grip that tingles the teeth to the ears; creamy, formidable, and crunchy--in other words, a balanced ale...TASTE: as expected, a brutal malt swamp that holds its ground against a hop-laden West Coast citrus pucker--quite agreeable in its arrogance; love the lingering bitterness on the tongue and teeth, even as the strength of the malt dissipates...OVERALL: an American classic that lives up to its hype again and again--attractive, strong, assertive, alcoholic, reasonably priced and available in bombers or sixes; a versatile and instant mood changer, despite the Cavs' losing... (1,019 characters)

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.