Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 9,813 | Reviews: 2,967

This is my go to stone know how to deliver and this brew does not fail we are not worthy for sure

2.4/5  rDev -42.3%

Unfortunately, I can't even review this beer now and the reasons are listed below.

I've been drinking this for years now. Every time I visit my local establishment which has had Arrogant Bastard since day 1, I get a draft glass of it. It used to be great but has suffered from inconsistencies over the last couple years. I had some today from a keg and it tasted more like an IPA than arrogant bastard. I've had some in the past that tasted more like a Yuengling. I thought maybe it was a keg issue so I grabbed some in a bottle and it tasted different in the bottle also.

I'm starting to think that the bourbon and oaked versions were just batches that didn't turn out right. Unfortunately, Stone has some work to do to get this beer consistent and tasking like it used to.

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Best beer I have had in a long time, its even better at the brewery!

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Great head. Potent smell. Bitter but balanced. Definitely a good beer and I'm never unhappy having one, but never have I thought, "man I could really go for an arrogant bastard..." There are so many better beers out there today.

4.24/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Simply gorgeous. Crystal clear ruby-brown, foamy head that recedes to nothing but leaves some webs of lace.

S: Mmmm. Standard hop offerings, orange juice, pine, slightly perfumey, but very expressive, with sweet warm toffee malt behind it, even raisin.

T: Bitter, to say the least. Good balance between hops and malt; pine and orange prominent, but quickly relieved by some malt. Definite floral note, quite welcome in an otherwise bleak and almost ordinary profile.

M: Tiny touch of a syrup quality, but overall drinkable.

O: Hopbomb for sure, but even a non-hophead like myself can appreciate this, once we get past the nearly overwhelming pine and bitterness. Gotta pay homage to (what I believe to be) one of the first mega-hopped IPA's.

look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Too sour and too bitter

4.49/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm not an ale fan. I'll make an exception for this one. Everything about it, brilliant!! Crisp, hoppy just to edge of permissiveness, a great linger factor.

4.19/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into pint glass. Pretty dark red color with fairly thick creamy head. The smell is malty but I don't detect the sweetness suggested by others. There is some nice malty sweetness in the taste but this ale is hoppier than I anticipated. There is also a degree of spice. Very nice mouth feel; rather thick for an ale. Overall, this is fine ale, although I prefer one less bitter, scotch ale.

4.24/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Dark red brown with a thick off white head.

Smell: A little hops, a little caramel, a little malt. Well blended.

Taste: Sweet with malt and caramel. Hoppy and a touch of coffee.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, smooth, dry finish.

Overall: A great beer that is very flavorful. Sweet, but hoppy. One of my favorites.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

greater than one inch cream colored head aloft a deep copper cloudy active brew

hints of dark fruits, earthy tones.

creamy malt flavors, very biscuity, some plum, almost a ginger or root beer tone. Also a noticeable lingering spice finish. Accompanied by, of course, hop bitterness.

Very bubbly, but very snooth; big bodied but easy drinking. delicious

3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

Appearance: clear amber color with a finger or two tan head

Smell: Sweet (mainly caramel, light toffee) and bready malts, piney and light citrus hops

Taste: Lighter on the malt than i would have guessed from the nose. I get sweet bready malt upfront then mid palate and finish is all piney and bittering hops

Mouthfeel: Medium body and goes down very, very smooth. Pretty aggressive bitterness throughout

Overall: This is an average strong ale for me. The aromas had some promise but i was disappointed in the taste. Theres not enough malt to balance out the hops. I thinks its too hoppy and bitter for the style. I really enjoy a few of Stones' IPAs but i personally feel they are a bit overrated as a whole. Ill probably pass on this one from now on. Cant really go wrong at $5 a bomber though

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Appearance: Pours a clear dark brownish red.

Overall: This is a bold and flavorful brew. Has sweet malty flavors and bitter hops for a great combo. Excellent ale.

4.27/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Malty, bitter, and dry. One of my gateway beers into the craft world, and overall an outstanding brew from one of the titans of the industry.

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

L - deep red and clear
S - surprisingly faint to the nose, with more malt than hops present
T - starts of light and works into a strong hop that lingers long on the tongue
F - light body, but not thin
O - The faint nose makes the strong hop character a nice surprise

Very good and flavorful. Smells great.

4.49/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

- thick long lasting head something i look for
- smells more like a ipa than strong ale but alot of hops!
-taste is a very very hoppy beer the body keeps it from tasting to much like a ipa but top notch flavor!
- feel is a little to much carbonated for me
-overall it is one of my favorite grab and go beers!

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Sweet caramel smell. Good balance of malt and hops. Strong and delicious beer. Paired great with Buffalo wings. yb

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a murky garnet color with a sumptuous head of cream-colored froth. The aroma smells primarily of bread and grapefruit, with some caramel and pine resin as well--maybe even some bubblegum if I use my imagination.

The nose is a good forebear of the taste, as pine resin and grapefruit pith are the headliners, making you well aware of their presence from the get-go. The malt does its best to push back though, with flavors of toasted bread and caramel, while the yeast adds a zesty character of its own, making for a rather lively and balanced concoction. The medium-high body and ample carbonation create a full, velvety mouthfeel that takes some of the edge off of the bitterness.

Overall, this is a bold and flavorful brew with a terrific presentation and mouthfeel. The hops are a little heavy-handed for my tastes, but it’s Stone, so I knew what I was getting into. With that said, it’s easy to see why this is one of their flagship brews.

3.79/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Good dark copper color. Lacks something in taste. Seems like a bit of a burnt raisin finish. Good strong ale. Great head when poured into a pint glass from a bottle. Overall a good beer but not my favorite Stone by a long shot.

3.92/5  rDev -5.8%

Dark ruby color that is crisp and hazy with lots of lace.. A/T piney hop, peach, pie crust, caramel, toffee, citrus.. Slight notice of alcohol.. Good balance with an edge to the bitterness.. Medium body.. Good beer

4.19/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Hands down one of the best IPAs I've ever had. Solid beer with good flavor.

4.81/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorites. Very hard hitting and flavorful. Hated it when I first tried it, but bought it a few more times as my pallet grew and now I love it.

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Definitely a big beer. It's very bitter but the malts even it out and it has just enough grapefruit in the aftertaste to keep it well-balanced. I'm getting hints of dark fruits on the aftertaste as well. This would be a great beer to have with a hearty German food meal.

4.89/5  rDev +17.5%

Awesome. Pure and hard hitting. One of my top favorites

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I've had this beer many times over the last six years, although my tastes have evolved, this is still a bold, flavorful, easy drinking ale.

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.